PDA

View Full Version : Running?

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Last Sunday I was watching a lot of NFL shows afterwards, listening to what commentators thought etc. One of the things I heard a lot was "the Steeers like to run the ball". When the Mendenhall injury came out there were a few commentators saying "Pittsburgh relies on that running game" or "they like to run". Now I'm watching NFL network and Elvis Dumerville, LB for the Broncos, just said the "Steelers like pounding the rock, they love to run." Seriously, do people think the Steelers like to run the ball? We don't run in the first place so how do they know we "like" to. I don't understand, maybe I'm missing something, but this hasn't been a run oriented offense in YEARS.

Danny136200
01-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Last Sunday I was watching a lot of NFL shows afterwards, listening to what commentators thought etc. One of the things I heard a lot was "the Steeers like to run the ball". When the Mendenhall injury came out there were a few commentators saying "Pittsburgh relies on that running game" or "they like to run". Now I'm watching NFL network and Elvis Dumerville, LB for the Broncos, just said the "Steelers like pounding the rock, they love to run." Seriously, do people think the Steelers like to run the ball? We don't run in the first place so how do they know we "like" to. I don't understand, maybe I'm missing something, but this hasn't been a run oriented offense in YEARS.

IDK what people are seeing when they say that we like to run the ball, that's obviously not the case. I guess people outside still see us as the ground and pound of years ago for some reason.

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Maybe. I've noticed when we play the pats they always focus on taking away our run and making us shoot it out with Brady, maybe that has something to do with it. If commentators think that it's one thing, but when players on other teams think that then you must assume they don't game prep for us much.

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 07:16 PM
It takes a long time for reality to set into people's brains. That, and there's the old adage about telling people what they want to hear, and them loving you for it. Commentators are not immune to that. These aren't super-geniuses we're talking about, anyway. They stopped paying attention pretty much the day they stopped playing.

Bayz101
01-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Commentators are unreliable, remember? We're old and slow. 12-4 record is good for a "old and slow" team considering the "young and talent stuffed" Jets failed to even make the playoffs!

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
I often feel that way about commentators too, but even Elvis Dumerville, a LB for a team we are about to play said it.

skinart82
01-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Hell let them think that, Indy thought that in 2005 and you see what happened there.

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I often feel that way about commentators too, but even Elvis Dumerville, a LB for a team we are about to play said it.
He's filling air time, that's all I can think. We were 19th in the league in rushing attempts. This is a league that is already as a whole rushing less and less, and we were 19th.

Even Belichick - Bruce Arians' idol - rushed the ball more often. Certainly the Ravens, who won the division, ran a hell of a lot more often (and still not as often as they should have.) Hopefully someone is taking notice, and will be mentioning some of these details to Tomlin when it comes time to review his staff.

BatonRouge
01-05-2012, 11:19 PM
It almost feels like we run it just as much as Dumervil lines up at LB. :flap:

tony hipchest
01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
you cant spell dumerville w/o D-U-M.

Kanata-Steeler
01-06-2012, 06:48 AM
We were definitely smash-mouth, 'da BUS,..., with Cowher's team especially leading up to and including our SB (2005). wee Willie's 75-yard run helped prove that fact.

I think , especially over the last couple years, we are definitely back to "building" (aka Redman, Moore, Mendy, Clay, ...) another pound and run team again, even though our running stats, as of late, have been up and down.
Ariens would have had it nuthin' but AIR-IT-OUT all the time -'cause that's all that useless-pile-of-caca knows,...

However, I'd say we ARE definitely becoming a balanced run-oriented team again,
even though our Defense are the ones "running" the Ball back for us, half the time. Ha ha ha :)