PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers start Charlie Batch?

SteelersJW
01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Via my blog at: http://www.steelersideline.blogspot.com

Terrible news for Steelers fans came Wednesday on the South Side as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger addressed the media in regards to the status of his left ankle. Ben was limited in the team’s Wednesday practice and noticeably favored his right foot as he walked into the training room past media members. Roethlisberger told reports that he had suffered a “setback” early in the third quarter in the Steelers final game against the Cleveland Browns. Despite the reinjury, Ben still took every snap, going 23 for 40 for 221 yards through the air.

The Steelers post-season seems to be hanging on Ben’s ability to play at a high level, something he may not be able to do considering his current injury. Since spraining his ankle on December 8th at home against the Browns, Pittsburgh has only scored two touchdowns in 10 quarters with him playing quarterback. Most of Ben’s drop-off in play has come from his inability to step forward into throws as he normally would. Since the injury, he has completed 56 of 96 passes for 729 yards, with only a single touchdown and four interceptions. His passer rating fell to low 68.4 in that time period.

The Steelers coaching staff made a smart decision by holding Roethlisberger out of Week 16’s game against the St. Louis Rams. Veteran backup quarterback Charlie Batch was efficient in place of Ben, completing 15 of 22 passes for 208 yards against the Rams. While Batch didn’t put up the numbers Roethlisberger normally produces, he did surprise me by showing he’s still able to throw the ball far downfield. He connected with Mike Wallace for a 46-yard pass that setup a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown that put the team up 20-0. As a 37-year old veteran who’s been with the organization since 2002, few know the Steelers offense better than Batch. Batch’s victory over the Rams puts him at 5-2 as a spot starter in the seven seasons he’s been here.

Now, here is a proposition to consider:

With a Wild-Card matchup against the Denver Broncos (8-8) in which Pittsburgh has been an early nine-point favorite, should the Steelers consider starting Batch over the injured Ben Roethlisberger?

Allow to me make my case:

- Roethlisberger’s passing ability has fallen drastically since suffering his injury. His passer rating, which had been at 93.6 for the season heading into Dec. 8th’s game against Cleveland fell to 62.7 for the final two games he started. With an injured left ankle, Ben is considerably less-efficient as a passer, which will show against the Broncos if he starts on Sunday.

- The Bronco’s have a formidable pass rush, led by Elvis Dumervil and rookie Von Miller as their two bookend linebackers. The duo had 21 sacks between the two of them and Miller is a strong candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Should the Steelers really risk Ben’s ankle against such a strong pass rush?

- Rashard Mendenhall’s season-ending ACL injury makes matters worse. Isaac Redman is the only back left on the roster who can be relied on to carry the load and more importantly, handle the pass-rush. With Mendenhall out, the option to implement a run-first offense against the Broncos is out of the picture, as Redman’s two late fumbles clearly showed. Either Roethlisberger or Batch will have to air it up on Sunday.

- When asked by reporters to rate how his ankle feels on a scale of 1-10, Ben answered ’5.’ Is there really that big of a drop-off from Roethlisberger to Batch that you would take a 50% Ben over a 100% Charlie Batch? Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says he isn’t concerned, since there’s a lot of work that can be done with his ankle before Sunday. Hasn’t he had enough time since the injury occurred? Will his ankle miraculously be healed in the next three days? Give me a break…

- At 8-8 and barely the winners of the AFC West, the Denver Broncos seem hardly threatening as a Playoff opponent. Much stronger foes in Baltimore and New England lie ahead in the next two rounds. Pittsburgh will be best off letting Charlie Batch handle the Broncos and allowing Roethlisberger more time to heal.

Bayz101
01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
If Ben's ankle is as bad as he says, sit him, although i'm not sure he's being truthful whatsoever. Not sure i'd be broadcasting my status to the media.

Rotorhead
01-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Rest him, he needs it and we will need him as healthy as possible next game.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Remember Seattle last year?

Mendenhal being hurt has zero basis to Bens status, its not like he blocked anyone he ran through any holes.

Start him, hopefully they have earl success than pull him. Everything as usual comes down to the defense pressure, if we get to Tebow early, than its a cake walk, if we cant get to him and he gets sometime to think about what he wants to do, than we might have some issues. Hopefully Woodley is ready to play and not use the fatigued excuse

steelfury02
01-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Tomlin and Ben are doing a fine job of toying around with the media about the status of the injury - leaving it totally up in the air. If I were them, I'd go one further and have Batch more front and center, taking a lot of snaps in front of the camera to play it up - that way the Broncos would have zero clue what was going on - although, you got to think in that situation - they would be preparing for the possibility of Ben.

You make some great points and I wouldn't be totally shocked or upset if Batch would play - but I'm thinking they just want to leave it all out there.

What would tick me off - is having a sizable lead and Ben still playing to 0:00. If we are up by 14-17 points with 4 minutes left and we have the ball - get his butt out of there - I don't care if all we are doing is running the ball at that point - sit him at an appropriate time if the situation calls for it.

Hopefully we get through Denver and the injury situation can take a half-step forward

Rick5895
01-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Here's a thought, so we start Batch, to rest ben's ankle because it's only the broncos and a playoff game and we will certainly destroy them........OH wait, Charlie throws a pick six , we lose by a TD, and all you guys who think Batch should have started will suddenly be calling for Tomlin's head.

What is going on with Ben and Tomlin, IMO, is media manipulation, I for one don't beleive Ben's ankle isn't as bad as he says. But of course lets wait and see.

If we build a 3 TD lead going to the 4th then maybe put Charlie in there.

Sixburgher
01-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Here's a thought, so we start Batch, to rest ben's ankle because it's only the broncos and a playoff game and we will certainly destroy them........OH wait, Charlie throws a pick six , we lose by a TD, and all you guys who think Batch should have started will suddenly be calling for Tomlin's head.

Many will be calling for his head anyway if they don't "win by enough".

NEWstevo
01-06-2012, 09:58 AM
YES. Ben should rest and Batch should play. The goal is to win the Super Bowl, not just win the Wild Card round.

Batch still gives the Steelers a good chance of winning in Denver. But with an injured Big Ben, the Steelers have a very little chance of even making the Super Bowl.

Rest Ben. Take chances now, not later.

StainlessStill
01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Too late for any shenanigans. If Batch was to start, he would of started in San Fran, St.Louis AND Cleveland. This is where the BIG BOYS play. Time for Roethlisberger to carry his team at the biggest stage.

SoCalFan
01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
NO, he wants to play and needs to play! This type of sprain needs at least a month straight to heal! I have had 2! If they did sit him and escape Denver with a win (I know we would still win with Batch!) The minute ben gets into the next playoff game, his ankle will flare up just the same!

tanda10506
01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
NO, he wants to play and needs to play! This type of sprain needs at least a month straight to heal! I have had 2! If they did sit him and escape Denver with a win (I know we would still win with Batch!) The minute ben gets into the next playoff game, his ankle will flare up just the same!

This is true, he wasn't much better against Cleveland after sitting against St. Louis. It's a hard decision to make, but my opinion won't have anything to do with it, it's the playoffs and if Ben can limp out there he will. It would be nice if they are manipulating the media and Ben is actually much better off then we think, but his play has shown otherwise. Lately Brown has been our only receiver, time for everyone else to step up and get open and keep Ben off the ground.

DanRooney
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
A 50 percent Ben is 100 percent better than Batch.

kirklandrules
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
This is the playoffs and you don't screw around. You start your stud.

bornaSteelersfan
01-06-2012, 02:50 PM
If the doctors say he is good to go and Ben wants to play, then he will start. Why would you ever start a back-up in the playoffs when your starter is OK'd to play?! Forget resting it, that should have been done for 3 games already. It is too late now, just go with it.

Opt2loc
01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
If the doctors say he is good to go and Ben wants to play, then he will start. Why would you ever start a back-up in the playoffs when your starter is OK'd to play?! Forget resting it, that should have been done for 3 games already. It is too late now, just go with it.

He can't be hurt any worse than he was after the 49er game. He'll go.

Fire Arians
01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
it's the playoffs. if your starter can play, he plays. too late to 'rest' anyone now. if you lose, there is no next game. all in at this point.

batch won't see the field unless we're up by over 30 points in the 4th quarter, which i doubt will happen

FanSince72
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Too late for any shenanigans. If Batch was to start, he would of started in San Fran, St.Louis AND Cleveland. This is where the BIG BOYS play. Time for Roethlisberger to carry his team at the biggest stage.

First of all, I agree that Ben should have sat out San Fran, St.Louis and Cleveland.

As far as the "Big Boys" thing goes, that's why we're in this position in the first place. Tomlin played Ben against SF because he saw that game as a MEGA-important game and sent in his Big Boy. But in the end, we lost, we're a 5-seed (which is what probably would have happened anyway if he hadn't started Ben ) , but now Ben is in a world of pain and his injury isn't going to get any better.

So much for playing the "Big Boy".

But to me right now, ANY rest is better than none and if Tomlin plays Ben, all I ask is that he does so because he believes that Ben is the only honest-to-goodness, best chance we have to win. But if he plays him to satisfy his or Ben's ego, or to satisfy the F.O., or to satisfy the fans who think Ben "should" be there, then he's playing him for the wrong reasons.

I voted for Batch to start.

I'll go along with letting Ben start as long as Tomlin is willing to pull him if he can't do what he has to do. I want to see Ben out there just as much as anyone else does and I'd like to see him win his third SB all by himself. But if he can't get it done and there's a chance that Batch can, it would be foolish not to play Charlie. If Charlie took us all the way to Indy and won the SB, yeah, it would suck as far as Ben's records go, but it would mean #7 for the TEAM and that's more important than Ben.

finesward
01-06-2012, 03:51 PM
lol @ those who think charlie batch is the answer. He lit up ST. LOUIS

Anyone remember how poor the offense was when he went in vs. cleveland when ben got hurt? And he kept it close vs. st. louis well into the 4th quarter.

This is the same guy that breaks a bone every time he gets hit. No way will he be able to shrug off the hits he's BOUND to take when playing a good D. Bad ankle or not I like Ben in this one.

FanSince72
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
lol @ those who think charlie batch is the answer. He lit up ST. LOUIS

Anyone remember how poor the offense was when he went in vs. cleveland when ben got hurt? And he kept it close vs. st. louis well into the 4th quarter.

This is the same guy that breaks a bone every time he gets hit. No way will he be able to shrug off the hits he's BOUND to take when playing a good D. Bad ankle or not I like Ben in this one.

OK, apples to apples:

How exactly did Ben "light up" San Fran?
How did he "light up" Cleveland?
Between the two games, we racked up a whopping 16 points.

Batch racked up 27 in one game.

If Ben was 100% (hell, even 90% or 80%), he goes in over Batch any day. But Ben can't move and can't step into throws and can't even sidestep a defender and without the ability to do that, he's nowhere near the QB he's famous for being.

Batch, on the other hand, shook off a few defenders in the Rams game and though he isn't "Ben", he CAN move and he CAN step into his throws and he CAN scramble if needed which makes him more useful in the big picture.

Like I've said -- and especially against a team like Denver -- Charlie with good wheels is better than Ben on crutches.

I'd like Ben to win, but I want the TEAM to win more.

SteelCityMom
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I voted for Ben to start, but I'm not going to make a long, drawn out case for it. I think if he's healthy enough, you play him. Period. And I don't like playing the what if game too much...especially during the playoffs.

That said, I think Charlie could get it done. And I feel like he's a better short yard pocket passer anyway. If that's what they're going to be game planning for, then they might as well put him in.

But like I said, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't...unless whoever they put in wins.

nyuknyuk
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Batch or hobbled Ben? Same thing?

LayingTheWoodley56
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Ben has to play if he can. It's the playoffs, you can't really take a chance on a 37-year-old backup. That being said, I feel that we will win this game either way.

Whodis
01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
If his ankle could benefit from the rest and improve our chances to make the super bowl, then the obvious answer is to rest him.

He looks like shit trying to throw with this banged up ankle and if he can't throw deep then go with Charlie. The big picture is we need a healthier Ben to win in Baltimore or NE.

finesward
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
OK, apples to apples:

How exactly did Ben "light up" San Fran?
How did he "light up" Cleveland?
Between the two games, we racked up a whopping 16 points.

Batch racked up 27 in one game.

If Ben was 100% (hell, even 90% or 80%), he goes in over Batch any day. But Ben can't move and can't step into throws and can't even sidestep a defender and without the ability to do that, he's nowhere near the QB he's famous for being.

Batch, on the other hand, shook off a few defenders in the Rams game and though he isn't "Ben", he CAN move and he CAN step into his throws and he CAN scramble if needed which makes him more useful in the big picture.

Like I've said -- and especially against a team like Denver -- Charlie with good wheels is better than Ben on crutches.

I'd like Ben to win, but I want the TEAM to win more.

San Fran is superior to rams defensively in all aspects, ranking #2 behind us in points allowed and browns were underrated on D the latter part of the season. They were top 5 in points allowed this year in case you were wondering. Let's see, where do the almighty Rams rank that ol' charlie put up a whopping 27 burger (how many of those points were from rushing td's again? :chuckle: ) oh yeah they were ranked #26th in the league. You still want to argue that charlie, the brittle boned old man that he is would of been able to absorb the hits ben took against SF or would of vastly improved his 0-2 for 0 yards performance against cleveland when ben got hurt? I guess the latter he could since you can't possibly get any worse.

We don't need him to be the QB he's famous for being to win against denver or anyone else for that matter. Whether he rests for 3 weeks or no weeks that ankle is going to be tweaked as soon as he puts weight on it and twists. There's no getting around that. Charlie is not the answer, sorry...putting up 27 against st louis AT HOME does not make him the better option.

60_MINUTES
01-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Via my blog at: http://www.steelersideline.blogspot.com

Terrible news for Steelers fans came Wednesday on the South Side as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger addressed the media in regards to the status of his left ankle. Ben was limited in the team’s Wednesday practice and noticeably favored his right foot as he walked into the training room past media members. Roethlisberger told reports that he had suffered a “setback” early in the third quarter in the Steelers final game against the Cleveland Browns. Despite the reinjury, Ben still took every snap, going 23 for 40 for 221 yards through the air.

The Steelers post-season seems to be hanging on Ben’s ability to play at a high level, something he may not be able to do considering his current injury. Since spraining his ankle on December 8th at home against the Browns, Pittsburgh has only scored two touchdowns in 10 quarters with him playing quarterback. Most of Ben’s drop-off in play has come from his inability to step forward into throws as he normally would. Since the injury, he has completed 56 of 96 passes for 729 yards, with only a single touchdown and four interceptions. His passer rating fell to low 68.4 in that time period.

The Steelers coaching staff made a smart decision by holding Roethlisberger out of Week 16’s game against the St. Louis Rams. Veteran backup quarterback Charlie Batch was efficient in place of Ben, completing 15 of 22 passes for 208 yards against the Rams. While Batch didn’t put up the numbers Roethlisberger normally produces, he did surprise me by showing he’s still able to throw the ball far downfield. He connected with Mike Wallace for a 46-yard pass that setup a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown that put the team up 20-0. As a 37-year old veteran who’s been with the organization since 2002, few know the Steelers offense better than Batch. Batch’s victory over the Rams puts him at 5-2 as a spot starter in the seven seasons he’s been here.

Now, here is a proposition to consider:

With a Wild-Card matchup against the Denver Broncos (8-8) in which Pittsburgh has been an early nine-point favorite, should the Steelers consider starting Batch over the injured Ben Roethlisberger?

Allow to me make my case:

- Roethlisberger’s passing ability has fallen drastically since suffering his injury. His passer rating, which had been at 93.6 for the season heading into Dec. 8th’s game against Cleveland fell to 62.7 for the final two games he started. With an injured left ankle, Ben is considerably less-efficient as a passer, which will show against the Broncos if he starts on Sunday.

- The Bronco’s have a formidable pass rush, led by Elvis Dumervil and rookie Von Miller as their two bookend linebackers. The duo had 21 sacks between the two of them and Miller is a strong candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Should the Steelers really risk Ben’s ankle against such a strong pass rush?

- Rashard Mendenhall’s season-ending ACL injury makes matters worse. Isaac Redman is the only back left on the roster who can be relied on to carry the load and more importantly, handle the pass-rush. With Mendenhall out, the option to implement a run-first offense against the Broncos is out of the picture, as Redman’s two late fumbles clearly showed. Either Roethlisberger or Batch will have to air it up on Sunday.

- When asked by reporters to rate how his ankle feels on a scale of 1-10, Ben answered ’5.’ Is there really that big of a drop-off from Roethlisberger to Batch that you would take a 50% Ben over a 100% Charlie Batch? Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says he isn’t concerned, since there’s a lot of work that can be done with his ankle before Sunday. Hasn’t he had enough time since the injury occurred? Will his ankle miraculously be healed in the next three days? Give me a break…

- At 8-8 and barely the winners of the AFC West, the Denver Broncos seem hardly threatening as a Playoff opponent. Much stronger foes in Baltimore and New England lie ahead in the next two rounds. Pittsburgh will be best off letting Charlie Batch handle the Broncos and allowing Roethlisberger more time to heal.

Ben still has a bit of the drama queen left in him... he is fine and looked good towards the end of last weeks game... he will come out and be throwing bullets... Also I sure hope the Steelers are not going into this game like the post suggest... Playoffs are different.. Playing at home their D will be jacked up like never before.. they have a very good run game.. and with our injuries up front we may be in a bit of a dog fight at least early on... We will need BEN and Need him on a high level... Lets not forget BA has no Off scheme... 75 percent of the time its BEN drop back and make something happen.. look how shitty the O is since BEN has not been able to move as much... thats BA Off scheme... He is the worst O coord in the league for sure... Again we will need BEN to win this game for sure...; and maybe just maybe Tomlin can get them up for one game like this.. Other then John Harbaugh Tomlin is the worst Coach in the league for let down games... well I take that back he did get them to unlesh Hell a couple of years ago right? lol...

Here we go Steelers Here we go...

vasteeler
01-07-2012, 01:00 AM
easiest question ever......no

Kanata-Steeler
01-07-2012, 03:34 AM
This question should've been asked last week, BEFORE the Browns' game.
But ya, it's a little late now, and Tomlin will play Ben even if He has to push Ben in a wheelchair around the field himself.

pete74
01-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I would start Batch. We will need a healthy Ben to have a shot against Baltimore or New England. If we beat the Broncos and Ben suffers another setback like he did against the Browns were done anyway. He has been playing bad since the injury and we need him healthy to have a chance. Start Batch and let Tedman run 30 times and eat them up

FanSince72
01-07-2012, 08:30 AM
San Fran is superior to rams defensively in all aspects, ranking #2 behind us in points allowed and browns were underrated on D the latter part of the season. They were top 5 in points allowed this year in case you were wondering. Let's see, where do the almighty Rams rank that ol' charlie put up a whopping 27 burger (how many of those points were from rushing td's again? :chuckle: ) oh yeah they were ranked #26th in the league. You still want to argue that charlie, the brittle boned old man that he is would of been able to absorb the hits ben took against SF or would of vastly improved his 0-2 for 0 yards performance against cleveland when ben got hurt? I guess the latter he could since you can't possibly get any worse.

We don't need him to be the QB he's famous for being to win against denver or anyone else for that matter. Whether he rests for 3 weeks or no weeks that ankle is going to be tweaked as soon as he puts weight on it and twists. There's no getting around that. Charlie is not the answer, sorry...putting up 27 against st louis AT HOME does not make him the better option.

Maybe so.

But don't forget that we held this "superior" team to just 6 points for most of the game until our D was simply too tired of being out there after countless "3-and-outs" from our stagnant offense.

If Ben had been able to do more than just stand in the backfield waiting to get hit, it's likely that we could have won that game easily.

Translation: If Charlie played that game, we may not have set the building on fire, but we could have had more than just a "3-and-out" offense, which would have allowed our D to rest for more than just a few minutes between shifts.

And once again let me ask: "What did Ben do against SF that Charlie couldn't have done?"

madtowndrunkard
01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I'd start Ben and see how he looks. If he's not getting it done by half time, pull him and let Batch have a go.

If Ben plays well and we have a lead in the 2nd half, I'd pull Ben then.

I suspect this game is not going to be as easy a win as many think. If I were a betting man I'd take Denver and the 9 points in a second. That line is a sucker line. No way we cover that spread. We barely got over the Browns. Our offense is horrible. and our run defense is not what it used to be. Denver can run the ball. If we dont have a great game plan we easily lose this game. Opponents have clearly figured out how to stop Arians offense. Will we make adjustments or we continue to try and force the ball deep and hope for the big play? Will we continue to give our WR's deep routes that take for ever to develop and leave Ben back there to get killed? If we do, we are in trouble.

BKAnthem
01-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Batch is a smart , Veteran QB and a better than some starting QB's in this league...win or lose i wouldn't have any regrets if he started..provided Ben is really as hurt as he claims...

sluggermatt15
01-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Start Batch tomorrow? No.

Batch should have started last week against Cleveland. No reason for Ben to play. Based on how Charlie played against St. Louis at home that gave him some confidence (and confidence of the team in him), why not let him play against Cleveland?

Stupid coaching decision.

steeltheone
01-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Batch is a smart , Veteran QB and a better than some starting QB's in this league...win or lose i wouldn't have any regrets if he started..provided Ben is really as hurt as he claims...

Dont over due it...He is ok. He is happy Sitting on the bench for less money on his winning hometown team.

Spot duty at best.

NoFieldFive
01-07-2012, 12:26 PM
last week Ben threw flat footed and was not stepping into his passes. he threw some terrible balls and one ball at the goal line that easily should have been intercepted.

the Broncos will likely play a smarter game defensively and bring pressure and make Ben have to move. if they do that there could be some sack fumbles and a field goal could decide this.

unless Ben is moving much better than last week then I'd start Batch.

Goldsteel86
01-07-2012, 12:46 PM
OK, here we go, now what I am about to say might be scrutinized, but I believe there may be some drama here, some mental play. Also, if Ben "tweaked" that ankle then why was he left in for the full game last week? Also, you know what is obviously missed, the Steelers possess the #1 defense in the NFL, does that count for anything? Also, the Steelers have had a week to view film, prepare the running game, etc.... and lastly please help me out, do the Broncos have the personnel to match the Steelers? HELL NO!!!! Ben will be fine, this is what he thrives for, if he didn't he wouldn't have played the whole game last week, if you listen or read Arians says his mobility is "O.K." does anyone really trust Arians at face value?

NoFieldFive
01-07-2012, 02:01 PM
ben staying in last game when he 'tweaked his ankle"?......according to Tomlin Ben plays if he wants to and only comes out if he wants. look at the 49ers game....that was UGLY, Ben was hurt and yet he played the whole game. why not pull him that game?

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-07-2012, 06:37 PM
If they would win with Batch at QB, the joy would be very small as compared to the anger and frustration if they were to lose.

ricardisimo
01-07-2012, 07:45 PM
If they would win with Batch at QB, the joy would be very small as compared to the anger and frustration if they were to lose.
You mean like the anger and frustration when we lost to San Fran with Ben, only to kick ass with Batch the following week? Batch would not lose to Denver. Hell, we could probably win with Dixon.

pete74
01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
You mean like the anger and frustration when we lost to San Fran with Ben, only to kick ass with Batch the following week? Batch would not lose to Denver. Hell, we could probably win with Dixon.

agreed. with Batch we will throw alot of quick passes with a deep one every now and then. they will lean more on the run and not make mistakes. the way ben has been playing he can easily lose this game for us turning the ball over if he isnt healed.
even if ben does play and we win odds are he has another setback and there is noway we beat the Pats next week without Ben being healthy. i say start Batch and let Ben rest

Kanata-Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I think as this poll obviously proves, is that we also care, not just as Steelers fans, for Ben's HEALTH !
As bold as this may sound, the Steelers can play behind Ben, or Batch. and that has been proven.

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=FanSince72;979245]Maybe so.

But don't forget that we held this "superior" team to just 6 points for most of the game until our D was simply too tired of being out there after countless "3-and-outs" from our stagnant offense.

If Ben had been able to do more than just stand in the backfield waiting to get hit, it's likely that we could have won that game easily.

Translation: If Charlie played that game, we may not have set the building on fire, but we could have had more than just a "3-and-out" offense, which would have allowed our D to rest for more than just a few minutes between shifts.

And once again let me ask: "What did Ben do against SF that Charlie couldn't have done?"[/QUOTE
Not exactly true as far as 3 and out, true we had 4 turnovers and that is the one stat that trumps nearly all other stats. But the Steelers had more yards, more first downs, more third down conversions, and more time of possession. I think Bens injury contributed to his interceptions and I also believe that SF is a very good defensive team. If not for the turnovers I believe we would of won in their place, but the offense did a decent job of piling up yardage against a very good defense. Scoring seems to be our trouble be it from poor execution, turnovers, penalities, or Arians in general.

jim brown
01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I was at the game in Cleveland, and I don't think he should have started!! The weather was terrible and I feel that Charlie would have done just as welland no futher injury to Ben. And yes I know all about Baltimore winning or losing.!!! Thanks Guys, and GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!