PDA

View Full Version : Source: Brady Quinn gets 1st team snaps in practice

JCPsteelers
01-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Earlier this week, Rodney Harrison questioned my sanity and/or sobriety when I suggested, both in our weekly One-on-One segment and on NBC SportsTalk, that the Broncos should get quarterback Brady Quinn ready to play, in the event that starter Tim Tebow continues to play like he has played in the last three games he has played.

Apparently, Rodney also needs to question the sanity and/or sobriety of Broncos coach John Fox and/or Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway. Per a league source, Quinn has been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week.

It’s unknown whether Quinn actually will play on Sunday against Pittsburgh, either as a replacement for Tebow (if he fails to “pull the trigger”) or an unexpected change-of-pace insertion. Either way, the use of Quinn could throw a wrench into the Steelers’ Tebow-specific game plan.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/source-broncos-have-specific-packages-for-quinn/

Florio still a douche

FanSince72
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Funny, I remember a similar response from many here a few days ago when I mentioned the idea of the Broncos playing Quinn.

Hmmm...

TAmes
01-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Interesting...I was one of the posters who doubted you, FanSince72! Quinn hasn't thrown a pass in an actual game this season. Hopefully it'll be entertaining for Steelers fans everywhere to see Quinn throw 3 picks to the Steelers secondary -- one each to Troy, Gay, and even Ike.

finesward
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Funny, I remember a similar response from many here a few days ago when I mentioned the idea of the Broncos playing Quinn.

Hmmm...

2 guys thinking it would be risky and one bronco fan whining isn't exactly a "similar response from many here" You sound like you have a lot in common with florio...

Florio still a douche

TAmes
01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Found this article from a Denver newspaper:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19690080?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29

The Broncos' game plan against the Pittsburgh Steelers​ is set.

Tim Tebow will be their quarterback.

There has been speculation this week that after Tebow's back-to-back poor performances the past two games against the Buffalo Bills​ and Kansas City Chiefs​ — in which he committed six turnovers while posting a combined 27 .0 passer rating — Broncos coach John Fox might call on veteran backup Brady Quinn during the team's playoff game Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That speculation was fanned Friday when Pro Football Talk.com, citing an NFL source, reported Quinn "had been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week."

Three Broncos team sources, however, said Quinn has not received any more practice reps than usual — which isn't many.

"The backup quarterback always gets reps," said a team source. ""It's no different this week. It's normal for the backup quarterback to get a few reps."

Quinn received zero reps — zero — during the first team's pivotal game-plan installation Wednesday, according to a team source. He took two first-team reps Friday — which isn't unusual.

tony hipchest
01-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Either way, the use of Quinn could throw a wrench into the Steelers’ Tebow-specific game plan.

so when tebow is sent to the lockers due to a season ending, crushing blow, it was all according to plan to thwart us?

BRILLIANT! did they get that idea from arians?

PhantomJB93
01-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Doesn't really matter to that much; we'll be prepared for Tebow, whether he comes out as good Tebow or bad Tebow, and Quinn hasn't played in like 2 years cause he sucks and hasn't even practiced with the first team until now.

kirklandrules
01-07-2012, 06:32 AM
so when tebow is sent to the lockers due to a season ending, crushing blow, it was all according to plan to thwart us?

BRILLIANT! did they get that idea from arians?

Maybe the Denver OC is a distant relative of Arians. "It's the playoffs and our starting QB isn't playing well. Quick, put in the worst QB in the league. Maybe the Steelers will fall down laughing and we'll win.".

Somehow I don't think Lebeau is losing sleep over the idea of Tebow leaving the game and Brady Quinn (with a 5 year career QB rating of 66 and 52% completion percentage) walks on the field. It might have been a concern if the Broncos still had Orton. At least that guy can play QB in the NFL.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
oh no brady quinn? We should be afraid?lol

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
oh no brady quinn? We should be afraid?lol

Yep - not exactly the equivalent of Steve Young coming in if Joe Montana was having a bad day or got hurt - in addition to needing to shut up the Tebow acolytes, consider the possibility Quinn continued to sit after Kyle Orton flamed out based on Quinn's own shortcomings

FanSince72
01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Yep - not exactly the equivalent of Steve Young coming in if Joe Montana was having a bad day or got hurt - in addition to needing to shut up the Tebow acolytes, consider the possibility Quinn continued to sit after Kyle Orton flamed out based on Quinn's own shortcomings

You're probably right but I'd still be concerned.

Unlike Tebow, Quinn CAN throw a pass and a backup with something to prove is always something to worry about. Don't forget the thing that gets lost in all this Tebow hype is Denver's defense, which is not too shabby. They may not be the greatest, but If Ben ends up looking more like a tree than a quarterback, then that defense would be more than adequate to hold us to field goals.

If that happens, Denver won't need a whole lot of offense and a few accurate passes from Quinn might be all that's necessary.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
You're probably right but I'd still be concerned.

Unlike Tebow, Quinn CAN throw a pass and a backup with something to prove is always something to worry about. Don't forget the thing that gets lost in all this Tebow hype is Denver's defense, which is not too shabby. They may not be the greatest, but If Ben ends up looking more like a tree than a quarterback, then that defense would be more than adequate to hold us to field goals.

If that happens, Denver won't need a whole lot of offense and a few accurate passes from Quinn might be all that's necessary.

No doubt Denver's defense is a concern

Given the mediocre play of the Steelers offense on the road this season with a healthy Ben the 8 point spread is nonsense

This will be another road game against a mediocre team that will not be decided until late in the 4th quarter

theplatypus
01-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I swear to god some of you spend the night laying awake making up scenarios involving the Steelers. Yes, the Steelers offense is ranked 21st in the league in scoring. However, 11 of 16 games have a been against top 10 defenses. Conversely the Broncos 21st-23rd ranked defense has faced offenses ranked 18,20,21,22,24,25....

STEP AWAY FROM THE EDGE!

sluggermatt15
01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
No doubt Denver's defense is a concern

Given the mediocre play of the Steelers offense on the road this season with a healthy Ben the 8 point spread is nonsense

This will be another road game against a mediocre team that will not be decided until late in the 4th quarter

I hate to say it, but I think you're right. This game won't be decided until late, just like Week 17 against Cleveland. That game should have been over in the 3rd quarter, but Pittsburgh let them hang around. The more you let a mediocre team hang around, the more dangerous it becomes because they can be a play or two from taking the lead or winning.

Would love to see the Steelers come out and score TDs on their first 2 or 3 possessions and make a statement. Set the tone for the game. Show Denver, this is how it's played, and we are here for real. Sort of like the last time we played Denver in the playoffs in Denver and won, 34-17.

stb_steeler
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Ahhh screw it, put Elbow in for 2 quarters, then the mighty Quinn for the next 2.
Then see who throws the most picks....:wink02:

steeltheone
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I swear to god some of you spend the night laying awake making up scenarios involving the Steelers. Yes, the Steelers offense is ranked 21st in the league in scoring. However, 11 of 16 games have a been against top 10 defenses. Conversely the Broncos 21st-23rd ranked defense has faced offenses ranked 18,20,21,22,24,25....

STEP AWAY FROM THE EDGE!

Good point...You could spin it and look at the QB's our D has faced...Which is a good point too...In this game makes no diff. Denver is no good.

ricardisimo
01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
It's not like Brady Quinn is a winner. What's the deal? Smells like desperation, that's all.

LambertWardSteel
01-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Ahhh screw it, put Elbow in for 2 quarters, then the mighty Quinn for the next 2.
Then see who throws the most picks....:wink02:

lol maybe they could each play for 1 quarter...whoever has highest completion percentage (to Denver players) finishes the game

Bayz101
01-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Oh man, I HOPE they put Quinn in. God almighty, do you guys remember when he played for the Browns not to long ago? That kid throws worse then Tebow, or at least he did then. He was hitting the stands on the right side of the stadium trying to hit a receiver on a middle route!

I mean sure, it's not the Browns. But whatever, I don't think putting Quinn in would be a good idea, considering when we played him, it wasn't our pass defense that was ranked #1. Now it is, and i'd hate to be him with a football on ANY day.

ricardisimo
01-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Oh man, I HOPE they put Quinn in. God almighty, do you guys remember when he played for the Browns not to long ago? That kid throws worse then Tebow, or at least he did then. He was hitting the stands on the right side of the stadium trying to hit a receiver on a middle route!

I mean sure, it's not the Browns. But whatever, I don't think putting Quinn in would be a good idea, considering when we played him, it wasn't our pass defense that was ranked #1. Now it is, and i'd hate to be him with a football on ANY day.
Sshhhhh... They should get Quinn ready. :wink02:

wera176
01-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Now when Elway starts taking snaps with the starters, THATS when I'll worry about who's under center!

:wink02:

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
If the Broncos really go to Quinn in this game, its because the Steelers are up 21...and it's over. The Broncos won't score 21 without special team and/or turnover returns...so at this point (Quinn coming in), the game is lost and the Broncos season is over.

Eztarget
01-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Found this article from a Denver newspaper:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19690080?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29

The Broncos' game plan against the Pittsburgh Steelers​ is set.

Tim Tebow will be their quarterback.

There has been speculation this week that after Tebow's back-to-back poor performances the past two games against the Buffalo Bills​ and Kansas City Chiefs​ — in which he committed six turnovers while posting a combined 27 .0 passer rating — Broncos coach John Fox might call on veteran backup Brady Quinn during the team's playoff game Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That speculation was fanned Friday when Pro Football Talk.com, citing an NFL source, reported Quinn "had been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week."

Three Broncos team sources, however, said Quinn has not received any more practice reps than usual — which isn't many.

"The backup quarterback always gets reps," said a team source. ""It's no different this week. It's normal for the backup quarterback to get a few reps."

Quinn received zero reps — zero — during the first team's pivotal game-plan installation Wednesday, according to a team source. He took two first-team reps Friday — which isn't unusual.

Well if they do plan to use Quinn I don't see why the team "sources" would reveal that. Wouldn't they want to keep it secret hence saying he's not getting any more reps to throw off the truth? I mean if we had Belecheat as a head coach we'd have complete films of their practice but we don't so we'll just have to wait and see today.

FanSince72
01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
The way I see this whole Quinn thing is the same way I look at it when a team is out of options and has to start going for it on fourth down. I mean, Denver is in a "nothing to lose" position, so why not play Quinn either on his own or with Tebow in the play (I can think of several ways that could be done) if for no other reason than to just throw a monkey wrench into whatever planning we've made for Denver?

Ryan Clark was interviewed about this and he said that we aren't really thinking too much about Quinn primarily because there's no film on him, so there's nothing to see and THAT is why Quinn could be a factor -- because there's no book on him and no "tendencies" to analyze.

Denver is in a position to use anything and everything they can and Fox has proven that he isn't afraid to change things around. So as much as many people want to look at Quinn as inept or dismiss him as irrelevant, I think not taking him into account would be foolish.

Kanata-Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
We're gonna beat Denver in the trenches, so it won't even matter who they have as QB.

nyuknyuk
01-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Apparently, Rodney also needs to question the sanity and/or sobriety of Broncos coach John Fox and/or Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway. Per a league source, Quinn has been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week.

I'm not going to bother reading the entire thread to see if this has been corrected, however Quinn said nothing has changed in terms of pre-game preparation from the usual.

When Elway was playing, he and his backup Kubiak would share practice snaps 50/50, so this is just the same approach.

nyuknyuk
01-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Now when Elway starts taking snaps with the starters, THATS when I'll worry about who's under center!

:wink02:

Yeah, I'd worry about a 51 year old guy with an artificial right knee, too.

FanSince72
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I'd worry about a 51 year old guy with an artificial right knee, too.

It's not the knee..., it's the damned cane.

Those freakin' things can hurt!

nyuknyuk
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Well if they do plan to use Quinn I don't see why the team "sources" would reveal that. Wouldn't they want to keep it secret hence saying he's not getting any more reps to throw off the truth? I mean if we had Belecheat as a head coach we'd have complete films of their practice but we don't so we'll just have to wait and see today.

It was another fake story like the clown Mike Silver offered in pre-season about a "reliable team source" saying that the 4th string rookie was a better QB than Tebow. General consensus was this great source was non other than big mouth and locker room cancer Brandon Lloyd, who has since been dispatched to the Rams.

National media, especially, tend to make stuff up to get viewers and readers.

nyuknyuk
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
It's not the knee..., it's the damned cane.

Those freakin' things can hurt!

Except that he doesn't have a cane.

tony hipchest
01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Except that he doesn't have a cane.

he does.

its just that its conviniently stashed in his rectum while the media is around.