PDA

View Full Version : Patriots unable to reach a contract with Branch

DIESELMAN
06-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Jerome Solomon, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots have been unable to reach a contract agreement with Patriots' WR Deion Branch. He is entering the final year of his contract in 2006. The two sides simply have opposing views of Branch's worth. For fans, at least, it seems the debate over what (or whether) the Patriots should pay Branch has turned into whether he is a legitimate No. 1 receiver. That is not the point. Branch is the Patriots' No. 1 receiver and, maybe more importantly, he is Brady's No. 1 receiver. Branch has a starting point in mind. Indianapolis Colts No. 2 WR Reggie Wayne recently signed a six-year deal worth about $40 million, with up to $13.5 million in bonuses. Branch's argument is that he should make more than a top No. 2. There are 43 receivers slated to make more than Branch this season. Only one Patriots receiver made less than Branch last season. However, getting Branch on the cheap the past few seasons has little to do with how much the Patriots are willing to pay him going forward. Branch will probably make a statement by not coming to training camp on time or he could drag the situation on longer to make his point.

SteelerFanInCA
06-26-2006, 05:44 PM
How does the Pats FO work? Do they make it a big habit of paying out $$$$ like this? Has the time come for Branch to get paid?

tony hipchest
06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
How does the Pats FO work? Do they make it a big habit of paying out $$$$ like this? Has the time come for Branch to get paid?

no. and no. if the pats wanted to pay deion r. wayne type of money they wouldve just went out and signed r. wayne (who is probably a better and more durable wr than branch) what the colts have done by overloading money on their offense cant be used as a barganning chip.

DIESELMAN
06-26-2006, 11:59 PM
The Patriots have slightly more than $15 million in salary cap space, the highest figure in the NFL. I know they probably would like to redo Seymour's contract and then?????

Livinginthe past
06-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Seymour is signed thorugh 2009.

The Pats F.O. will only pay the big bucks to players they feel are unreplaceable - there are two of them on the team - Tom Brady and Richard Seymour.

They will also be looking at the bigger picture, its not just Branch we are giving the money to, its every receiver that we negotiate with after that point - if you set the bar higher you have to pay that rate everytime.

They are some distance away from each other, I believe, but neither side feels offended by the others position - im hoping they can get this worked through - there will always a team like the Titans or the Cards that have money and the willingness to over pay.

NM

X-Terminator
06-27-2006, 08:02 AM
IMHO, Branch is nowhere near worth the kind of money that Reggie Wayne is getting. He's a good receiver, no doubt, but he's not among the elite. I don't expect the Pats to give in and pay him what he is asking for, and if he does end up leaving as a FA, he won't get that from any other team either. I think Wayne got the contract he did because he will eventually take over as the Colts' #1 receiver if and when Marvin Harrison retires, or his production slips.

HometownGal
06-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I think the Pats and Branch will eventually work this out. As Deisel mentioned above - Branch IS the Pats and Brady's #1 receiver. It may become another Plaxico situation, though and Deion may opt to go elsewhere for the bigger bucks. Ben lost his #1 receiver and the other Steelers WRs stepped up to the plate and played well as a corps last season. We can all joke around about Fairy Tom but the fact remains that he is an elite QB and if Branch leaves for visions of grandeur, he will make due with what he has. Branch missed 7 games in the 2004 season and the Pats went 6-1 in that stretch, their only loss at the hands of the black and gold. :smile:

BlackNGold203
06-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Is Branch THAT good??...or does Brady make him look that good?

A QB like Brady...can make ALOT of WR look good..IMHO....

The Pats wont crack on this....no way

ARKIESTEEL
06-27-2006, 09:20 AM

I bet he walks if they dont

BlackNGold203
06-27-2006, 09:24 AM
I bet he walks if they dont

All Im saying is...if he does walk...the Pats will bring in someone else...and Brady will make HIM look good too

DIESELMAN
06-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Yeah good question, Brady spreads the ball around pretty good and Branch just missed 1000 yards by a couple last year. Who knows how he would do in a different system, maybe thats a question Branch needs to ask himself.

Big D
06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Seymour is signed thorugh 2009.

The Pats F.O. will only pay the big bucks to players they feel are unreplaceable - there are two of them on the team - Tom Brady and Richard Seymour.

They will also be looking at the bigger picture, its not just Branch we are giving the money to, its every receiver that we negotiate with after that point - if you set the bar higher you have to pay that rate everytime.

They are some distance away from each other, I believe, but neither side feels offended by the others position - im hoping they can get this worked through - there will always a team like the Titans or the Cards that have money and the willingness to over pay.

NM
very well put. We have disagreed on alot of topics I agree with you on this one. I think that Branch can be replaced. Brady and seymour no way. When I hear local sports talk show hosts out here in boston talk about Branch and the money he wants I think of peerless price. Who thought he was a number one wr got number one money and was the falcons number one bust and salary cap burden. I guarantee you that if he doesnt come back this year troy brown could step in there for branch and chad jackson would be a very good second option for brady

Big D
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM

agreed the same way troy aikman made alvin harper look that good

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
any chance he winds up with Big Ben and the Steelers?

Big D
06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
any chance he winds up with Big Ben and the Steelers?
chances are very slim. But i've thrown it out there in the past. I dont think he's worth even half the money he is asking for

BlackNGold203
06-27-2006, 11:32 AM
chances are very slim. But i've thrown it out there in the past. I dont think he's worth even half the money he is asking for

Neither was Randle El...but he got it....

CantStop85
06-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Deion Branch is worth just slightly more than #2 money in my opinion. I think he still has some consistency issues and is not at an elite level yet.

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-27-2006, 09:21 PM
IMHO, Branch is nowhere near worth the kind of money that Reggie Wayne is getting. He's a good receiver, no doubt, but he's not among the elite. I don't expect the Pats to give in and pay him what he is asking for, and if he does end up leaving as a FA, he won't get that from any other team either. I think Wayne got the contract he did because he will eventually take over as the Colts' #1 receiver if and when Marvin Harrison retires, or his production slips.

And Randle -el won't get a 31 million dollar contract either :rolleyes:

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I think Branch gets no more than 20-30 million.

Livinginthe past
06-28-2006, 01:33 AM
very well put. We have disagreed on alot of topics I agree with you on this one. I think that Branch can be replaced. Brady and seymour no way. When I hear local sports talk show hosts out here in boston talk about Branch and the money he wants I think of peerless price. Who thought he was a number one wr got number one money and was the falcons number one bust and salary cap burden. I guarantee you that if he doesnt come back this year troy brown could step in there for branch and chad jackson would be a very good second option for brady

Thanks Big D,

I would be a little worried about replacing him in the short term - this year specifically we are low on proven quality in the WR corps.

Troy Brown is a few years past being a No.1 option - he is still a solid No.4 guy and can still make the clutch 3rd down catch.

Jackson has huge potential, but 1st round rated WR's are notorious for being busts he is competing with Reche Caldwell for the No.3 slot at this time, I believe.

Branch may not catch a huge amount of balls or rack up a mass of yardage - but you only have to look at his performances in the games that really matter to realise that he is pretty clutch and that Brady relies on him.

2003 SB v Carolina - 10 catches 143 yards 1 TD

2004 AFCCG v Pittsburgh - 4 catches 166 yards 1 TD

2004 SB v Philly - 11 catches 133 yards

2005 DIV v Denver - 8 catches 153 yards

I think three things count against Branch :

1. He doesnt have prototypical size for a No.1

2 He is part of an offense that loves the spread the ball around

3. He has the best QB in the NFL throwing him the ball.

NM

Big D
06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Neither was Randle El...but he got it....
thats very true but daniel snyder loves to over pay players

X-Terminator
06-28-2006, 08:25 AM
And Randle -el won't get a 31 million dollar contract either :rolleyes:

Randle El got that contract from Dan Snyder, who has made overpaying players an art form. I still believe Branch would not get Reggie Wayne-type money from any team, not even Snyder's Redskins.

BlackNGold203
06-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Randle El got that contract from Dan Snyder, who has made overpaying players an art form. I still believe Branch would not get Reggie Wayne-type money from any team, not even Snyder's Redskins.

This is how Dan Snyder screws his fellow owners....

He gives Randle El 31 million...and as much as we love El...look at his stats...no way should he get money like that...

NOW...this opens floodgates for the Deion Branches and any other good...but not elite...WR to begin demanding this type of cash...

I'm confident that the market will eventually correct itself...but for now..Dan Snyder has screwed the Pats...and any other owner with a similar WR coming to the end of their contract

X-Terminator
06-29-2006, 08:54 AM
This is how Dan Snyder screws his fellow owners....

He gives Randle El 31 million...and as much as we love El...look at his stats...no way should he get money like that...

NOW...this opens floodgates for the Deion Branches and any other good...but not elite...WR to begin demanding this type of cash...

I'm confident that the market will eventually correct itself...but for now..Dan Snyder has screwed the Pats...and any other owner with a similar WR coming to the end of their contract

I agree. Snyder is turning into the George Steinbrenner of the NFL...except that The Boss has actually won something. Branch is going to go the way of David Patten, a guy who thought he was better than he actually was, only to find out that he really isn't. Brady is just so good that he can make any average WR into a star.

hardwork
06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Brady is just so good that he can make any average WR into a star.

Actually Brady can hurt his receivers because he spreads the ball around so much. He immediately checks off and moves to another receiver if he doesn't like what he sees, and he does that quicker, and more successfully, then any other QB in the league. If you can't read the defense, as a receiver for the Patriots, as quickly, and accurately, as Brady, you're in trouble. And obviously not many can so they get checked off as Brady looks down field.

Branch has no leverage here. He can't sit out the year because that automatically extends his current contract another year. He isn't Tom Brady, or Richard Seymour, so the Pats just aren't going to give him big money.