PDA

View Full Version : Q&A w/ Heath Miller

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2005, 03:51 AM
Monday, May 30, 2005

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20050530dianasteelersmiller_230.jpg

Heath Miller, born Earl but also known as "Big Money," has returned to the South Side for further testing. The Steelers' first-round draft pick spent a minicamp weekend at the club's facility last month, trying to study their playbook, trying to learn his new teammates and system. Then this 6-foot-5, 255-pound native of Swords Creek, Va., went back to the University of Virginia to finish his last two final exams for graduation in sociology, only to report back to Steelers practice to soak up more education in the team's coaching sessions. The Post-Gazette's Chuck Finder put his Virginia Cavalier attitude to the test with a little pop quiz.The first-round pick says he hasn't been thrown off

by the Steelers' playbook or its tight end history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how many people actually call you Earl?

Miller: Let's see, one of my roommates, when he found out my name. I managed to hide it for a few years.

Well, Earl, how many people call you Big Money? Is that at UVa only, or do Swords Creekers know you that way? And what will they call you once you sign a big contract?

Miller: I'd say about five to 10 people at school call me that. Nobody at home uses it unless they want to tease me. Hopefully, it'll settle down a little bit.

Speaking of Swords Creek, what is there to do in that no-stoplight place on a Saturday night?

Miller: Saturday night? (Laughs.) You can go to eat or go to a movie. But it's about 20, 25 minutes away. In Richlands. Swords Creek is down in the corner, between Bluefield [W.Va.] and Bristol.

So how has it been learning this offense?

Miller: I think I gradually learned more as the minicamp went on. I tried to get through it and show I'm comfortable on a football field, so I'm not thinking about what I'm doing and just react.

Does the Steelers' offense differ that much from your old one at Virginia under former Jets coach Al Groh?

Miller: The terminology is different. That's the hard part, learning what everything is called. The plays are similar.

Except at Virginia, they passed to the tight end more often. A lot more often.

Miller: The tight end is out on a number of routes here, from just what we did at minicamp. I just have to learn the offense.

Do you know about the history of tight ends here? During the Super Bowl years, one was turned into a tackle, Larry Brown. Bennie Cunningham from Clemson and Eric Green -- a fellow Virginia guy, though he went to Liberty University -- caught quite a few passes. But they were the exception.

Miller: I only know just what you guys tell me. But 15-1 ... they're doing something right.

After you were drafted, the local TV stations kept playing the tape of you catching passes all over Pitt in the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl. Now that you work next door, do you think you'll walk over there and give the Panthers some tips about tight ends?

Miller: That [23-16 Virginia triumph] was a good game. They were a fun team to play against. The Continental Tire Bowl is always a good bowl for us.

Any other things we ought to know about you? Any secret hobbies?

Miller: No, you found out Earl. You got my deepest, darkest secret.

Volpe1564
05-30-2005, 07:21 AM
i got a good feeling about this guy......i thnk ben does as well...lol ....atleast thats what he sez on his site

clevestinks
05-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Qoute:" 15-1 they must be doing something right"

Heath your right about that! Now we must get this guy involved in the O!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2005, 10:46 AM
he did a good answer to that question as well.. he didnt start griping about how much he needs the ball, or how he wants it all the time.

Earn the respect of your coaches and team mates and then you can bitch ! :rofl:

ironcitychef
05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
I think it would be great if he got some Bettis type fantasy lines this year...

3 catches 5 yards 3 TD's !!!

SteelersWyo
05-30-2005, 06:42 PM
All the hype about Miller is great, but has the offensive staff of Pitt learned how to use a pass catching TE? That is something new for the Steelers.

ironcitychef
05-31-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm trying to remember Eric Green and all I can think of is getting the ball at the 20. Run and screen to about the 45. Then all of a sudden Green would catch one for 20 yards and get the D on their heels. I can't wait to see around midfield when we open up the full playbook. Wilson/Gibson deep?, Ward on Reverse? El/Bettis on option/pass? Miller in the middle? Heck I'm so fired up I'd add Reed on a 60 yarder! anyway if he is anything like that I'll enjoy many games of Ben to Miller.