PDA

View Full Version : PFT - Roethlisberger warns against changing coordinators

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Ron Cook strikes again as a mouthpiece for keeping Arians:mad:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is like "a grandfather." Arians prefers "crazy uncle." The two are extremely close. Know that going in....

Roethlisberger agreed with Arians that there are more Super Bowls in his future. It's hard to imagine it happening this season, not necessarily because of his ankle but because these Steelers have not been a good road team. But Roethlisberger believes. This season. Next season. The season after that ...

"We've got something special here," he said. "We've got a lot of great young players. As long as they don't get crazy and change the offense -- that can really set you back -- the sky is the limit for this team."

Translation for Steelers management:

"Please don't even think about bringing in a new offensive coordinator. B.A. is just fine."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12008/1202106-87-0.stm#ixzz1iseXRrr2

PFT interprets this as follows

The part about changing the offense was unprompted; Roethlisberger was sending a clear message to management. He knows that Arians isn’t overly popular in Pittsburgh despite record setting numbers for the team’s offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/08/ben-roethlisberger-warns-against-changing-coordinators/

The following rankings of the Steelers in points scored since BA took over as OC in 2007 are what Ben regards as "something special" and PFT regards as "record setting":noidea:

2007 - 9th
2008 - 20th
2009 - 12th
2010 - 12th
2011 - 21st

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

The only bright spot of a loss today would be Art Rooney telling Ben and Tomlin the underperformance of the offense will no longer be tolerated and that the OC must go

Kanata-Steeler
01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
How do ya answer this, Jesus, should we get an Ariens who can actually rein-in Mr. Ben, or do we let Ben go WILD wild, with Ariens.
Only his hairdresser knows for sure.
I dunno anymore. But Ben has goota work-out some more. Tougher = resilience in the long run.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
It's a shame Ben agrees with Arians so much, this offense has WAY more potential. I think Hipchest pointed it out the best in his last thread, that we only averaged 1 more point a game then a team with a new coach, a new gameplan built around a running QB, and a complete lack of passing game, which is the Denver Broncos. There is absolutely no excuse for that, and since the week 5 game against the Titans, where the team "came together" and Starks came back, the O line has done a decent job pass blocking, it's not the major hold back it was the first 4 games. Arians is just a complete moron. With all this talent at WR/TE and a top 5 QB and a line that didn't give up a sack against Baltimore none the less, and you average one more point then Denver? Ridiculous.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
How do ya answer this, Jesus, should we get an Ariens who can actually rein-in Mr. Ben, or do we let Ben go WILD wild, with Ariens.
Only his hairdresser knows for sure.
I dunno anymore. But Ben has goota work-out some more. Tougher = resilience in the long run.

I can't understand a word you say, ever, but Ben does not need to "work out".

Kanata-Steeler
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I can't understand a word you say, ever, but Ben does not need to "work out".
No?, and does he NEED to show up to any pratices also, ???
and BTW, have you met Bayz... ?

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't hate Arians or even really dislike the guy either but it may be time for a change. It's understandable that Ben likes the guy. I think he's the only coach on the offense that has been here Ben's whole career. and Arians is responsible by and large for Ben having a lot of freedom on the field too to make his own decisions.

Rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
It's a shame Ben agrees with Arians so much, this offense has WAY more potential. I think Hipchest pointed it out the best in his last thread, that we only averaged 1 more point a game then a team with a new coach, a new gameplan built around a running QB, and a complete lack of passing game, which is the Denver Broncos. There is absolutely no excuse for that, and since the week 5 game against the Titans, where the team "came together" and Starks came back, the O line has done a decent job pass blocking, it's not the major hold back it was the first 4 games. Arians is just a complete moron. With all this talent at WR/TE and a top 5 QB and a line that didn't give up a sack against Baltimore none the less, and you average one more point then Denver? Ridiculous.

It's depressing watching other teams with elite talent make it look so easy, yet the Steelers make it look like they don't even practice. It would be one thing if we didn't have a franchise QB and weapons to match like say...the Broncos.

This team has the personnel, they just have an OC that has no idea how to use them. 3 teams average over 30 pts. a game, and another 29, yet the Steelers only managed to score 30 pts. in 3 games.The 3 games Ben has played since his injury, the Steelers have scored 30 pts. combined. Pretty pathetic. Meanwhile, the Packers sit Aaron Rodgers, and their backup puts up 45 pts. with almost 500 yds and 6 tds. COACHING!!! Hell, teams with lesser personnel average more ppg the Steelers.

Hell, even the Ravens with their "worse the Arians" dummy offensive coordinator avergae 3 1/2 pts. more than the Steelers, and that's with Joe Flacco at QB, and a maybe slighty above average receivers. The 49ers with Alex Smith average 3 1/2 more pts than the Steelers. The Raiders, Bengals, Vikings and Dolphins average more pts. than the Steelers. Two of those teams have rookie QBs, a couple have no WRS, and none of them have the Steelers overall talent on offense. That's pretty awful.

Rockon

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
No?, and does he NEED to show up to any pratices also, ???
and BTW, have you met Bayz... ?

Of course he needs to practice, he does. What gave you the idea Ben doesn't practice or are you basing it solely on since he's been hurt? You don't risk getting hurt worse in practice. That said Ben still took part in two full practices. How do you know Ben doesn't work out, I'm sure he does to a point, strength is not something he lacks and at the QB position you don't need more strength then what Ben has! There's not many spots on the field that you need a guy stronger or tougher then Ben, and Brady is as skinny as a twig and seems to play pretty well. I just don't see what your basing it being a problem off of.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 02:20 PM
It's depressing watching other teams with elite talent make it look so easy, yet the Steelers make it look like they don't even practice. It would be one thing if we didn't have a franchise QB and weapons to match like say...the Broncos.

This team has the personnel, they just have an OC that has no idea how to use them. 3 teams average over 30 pts. a game, and another 29, yet the Steelers only managed to score 30 pts. in 3 games.The 3 games Ben has played since his injury, the Steelers have scored 30 pts. combined. Pretty pathetic. Meanwhile, the Packers sit Aaron Rodgers, and their backup puts up 45 pts. with almost 500 yds and 6 tds. COACHING!!! Hell, teams with lesser personnel average more ppg the Steelers.

Hell, even the Ravens with their "worse the Arians" dummy offensive coordinator avergae 3 1/2 pts. more than the Steelers, and that's with Joe Flacco at QB, and a maybe slighty above average receivers. The 49ers with Alex Smith average 3 1/2 more pts than the Steelers. The Raiders, Bengals, Vikings and Dolphins average more pts. than the Steelers. Two of those teams have rookie QBs, a couple have no WRS, and none of them have the Steelers overall talent on offense. That's pretty awful.

Rockon

This^

Rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't hate Arians or even really dislike the guy either but it may be time for a change. It's understandable that Ben likes the guy. I think he's the only coach on the offense that has been here Ben's whole career. and Arians is responsible by and large for Ben having a lot of freedom on the field too to make his own decisions.

Whiz was OC for Ben's first 3 seasons.

But, I do agree, Ben is too emotionally attached to see that a change is definitely needed.

Rockon

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I think Ben should just tell everyone he hates Arians and show no support for his coach. I mean thats what any player should do, throw team mates and coaches under the bus. Seriously, What is he suppose to do, if the management that is this organization wants to get rid of personnel they will. I bet they pay little attention to the rantings and ravings of fans also. Less than 1 percent of the fans have any real football knowledge anyway, and yes I include myself in the 99 percent that do not. The only difference is I know it and most do not.

MACH1
01-08-2012, 02:22 PM

But, I do agree, Ben is too emotionally attached to see that a change is definitely needed.

Rockon

Hopefully the Rooneys do. Good thing Ben doesn't sign the paychecks.

tony hipchest
01-08-2012, 02:22 PM
didnt tommy "gun" say the same about mularkey?

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 02:27 PM
This team would probably be working on SB # 9 or 10 if it were not for one-two combo punch of Spy-Gate in the early 2000's and BA in the late 2000's.

cubanstogie
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I think Ben likes BA due to lack of discipline. Cowher and Whiz were more intense and focused, and got in his face. I have never seen BA do a Tom Coughlin impersonation or Cowher and see spit flying when cursing out their QB. Just a guess but I thin Ben likes the laissez faire management style of BA. I am sure ELI doesn't like Coughlin cussing him out but he has sure become a better player.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I think Ben should just tell everyone he hates Arians and show no support for his coach. I mean thats what any player should do, throw team mates and coaches under the bus. Seriously, What is he suppose to do

Quit his annual campaign to keep the SOB as OC?:noidea:

The comments about "not changing a good thing" apparently were unsolicited - it is not as if anyone asked Ben if Arians should,stay - of course Ben lobbied to keep Arians after 2009 so this is old news

The idea this offense is "something special" is ludicrous

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Less than 1 percent of the fans have any real football knowledge anyway, and yes I include myself in the 99 percent that do not. The only difference is I know it and most do not.
you don't have to be a genius to know , "scoring TD's good... not scoring TD's bad"
even us dumb one percenters can see a huge difference between watching the steelers offense operate and watching the saints offense operate. i don't think its unreasonable for fans to question why their team consistently under achieves at scoring when other teams make it look so easy.
you'd think after 5 YEARS of the same system the players would be performing like a well oiled machine. instead they struggle to put points up against teams that'll be picking in the top 10 at the draft.

Rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Quit his annual campaign to keep the SOB as OC?:noidea:

The comments about "not changing a good thing" apparently were unsolicited - it is not as if anyone asked Ben if Arians should,stay - of course Ben lobbied to keep Arians after 2009 so this is old news

The idea this offense is "something special" is ludicrous

Unless, by "special", he mean short bus.....:rofl:

Just sayin.....

Rockon

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Maybe the Saints O-line has a lot to do with offensive output since they have two interior linemen make the pro bowl. Maybe its because the Saints have shorter fields constantly due to their defense causing turnovers or special team play. Maybe they have better skill players QB, TE, WR, a RB that can run and catch. And maybe it is the OC. I am just saying we as fans are quick to drop the blame on the easiest target. Like I told some fellow employees about a boss we had, they were glad he left and after we seen what replaced him we were wishing he was back.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Rockon

Arians was WR coach during that same time. But yeah. A change is needed. As I said I am not really strongly anti Arians but I think new ideas for this offense can only be a good thing.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
We all know Ben likes Arians, and no he shouldn't just throw his coach under the bus even if he didn't like them, I just hope Arians is gone ASAP, time for the FO or Tomlin to wake up as it pertains to Arians.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe the Saints O-line has a lot to do with offensive output since they have two interior linemen make the pro bowl. Maybe its because the Saints have shorter fields constantly due to their defense causing turnovers or special team play. Maybe they have better skill players QB, TE, WR, a RB that can run and catch. And maybe it is the OC. I am just saying we as fans are quick to drop the blame on the easiest target. Like I told some fellow employees about a boss we had, they were glad he left and after we seen what replaced him we were wishing he was back.
here's your short fields...
11 plays - 89 yds TD
14 plays 78 yds FG
4 plays - 78 yds TD
13 plays - 92 yds TD
14 plays - 80 yds TD
4 plays - 61 yds TD
4 plays - 44 yds TD

As far as oline goes , the packers have been just as beat up through out the season on the oline at one point had both starting tackles and the top reserve tackle injured ,but yet they still put up points.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/988785-green-bay-packers-could-the-packers-injuries-finally-be-catching-up-to-them

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I think Ben should just tell everyone he hates Arians and show no support for his coach. I mean thats what any player should do, throw team mates and coaches under the bus. Seriously, What is he suppose to do, if the management that is this organization wants to get rid of personnel they will. I bet they pay little attention to the rantings and ravings of fans also. Less than 1 percent of the fans have any real football knowledge anyway, and yes I include myself in the 99 percent that do not. The only difference is I know it and most do not.

I do not profess to be among your 1% but the front office folks who hire coaches presumably are

Ever wonder why the OC for a team that has won a Super Bowl and been to two in his 5 years as OC has never received a nibble as a NFL HC candidate?

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 03:07 PM
11 plays - 89 yds TD
14 plays 78 yds FG
4 plays - 78 yds TD
13 plays - 92 yds TD
14 plays - 80 yds TD
4 plays - 61 yds TD
4 plays - 44 yds TD

As far as oline goes , the packers have been just as beat up through out the season on the oline at one point had both starting tackles and the top reserve tackle injured ,but yet they still put up points.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/988785-green-bay-packers-could-the-packers-injuries-finally-be-catching-up-to-them

One game does not reflect what each team goes through the entire year. I do know we are in the bottom of the league in worst starting field position. Since I am not a fan of the Saints I will not begin to say what their stats are.

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I do not profess to be among your 1% but the front office folks who hire coaches presumably are

Ever wonder why the OC for a team that has won a Super Bowl and been to two in his 5 years as OC has never received a nibble as a NFL HC candidate?

I cannot answer that, why do teams hire coaches and give up on them after only a partial season or one and done. Every hire or fire will bring comments from the fans, that is what we do, it fuels our passion. I do not know if we will be better off without Arians, I do know we could be better if we eliminate timely mistakes. But if the front office decides to make change than I will take a wait and see attitude and will not cry if we start out a little slow and I also will not be so high if things start out gangbusters cause I know things have a way of evening out.

tony hipchest
01-08-2012, 03:12 PM

hell even mike mularkey is still getting interviews (most recently as in JAX last week).

of course that may change in light of his offense currently shitting the bed vs NYG, failing to convert short downs.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
One game does not reflect what each team goes through the entire year. I do know we are in the bottom of the league in worst starting field position. Since I am not a fan of the Saints I will not begin to say what their stats are.
you suggested turnovers and short fields may be the difference between the saints scoring and our lack of...well there's 5 drives of 78 yds or more AGAINST A PLAYOFF TEAM ... arians offense struggles to put together 3 scoring drives against the leagues bottom feeders. sorry but 5 years of the same old shit suggests a pattern. there are 2 constant variables in that pattern..big ben and bruce arians ... more often than not, ben has taken arians recipe for chicken shit and made chicken soup out of it by adding his own spices.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2012, 03:18 PM
hell even mike mularkey is still getting interviews (most recently as in JAX last week).

of course that may change in light of his offense currently shitting the bed vs NYG, failing to convert short downs.

:chuckle:

Yep - strong offensive performance here - so much for Peter King's preseason prediction the Falcons were going to the Super Bowl

My local friends who are big Falcons fans will be pi**ed - this takes the playoff record of Matty Ice to 0-3 - guess adding Julio Jones was not the solution:noidea:

Rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Brian Schottenheimer from the Jets is getting interviews, and Jets fans hate him. So regardless of the fans opinions, the NFL people in charge see enough to warrant at least considering him for a potential HC position. So, we can argue amongst ourselves all day about whether or not we think he's a good OC. The truth remains nobody else in the NFL thinks so, as evident by lack of calls about his availability. Several other guys are getting looks, but not Bruce. I wonder why.

Rockon

tony hipchest
01-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Brian Schottenheimer from the Jets is getting interviews, and Jets fans hate him. So regardless of the fans opinions, the NFL people in charge see enough to warrant at least considering him for a potential HC position. So, we can argue amongst ourselves all day about whether or not we think he's a good OC. The truth remains nobody else in the NFL thinks so, as evident by lack of calls about his availability. Several other guys are getting looks, but not Bruce. I wonder why.

Rockongood point with shotty. even cam camaroon (who revens fans hate) had a shot at HC.

OX1947
01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
You can blame OCs and QBs all you want, but the head coach makes the final call. The redzone offense this year has been pathetic.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
You can blame OCs and QBs all you want, but the head coach makes the final call. The redzone offense this year has been pathetic.
this year ? if it were ONLY this year i'd give arians a pass... its been pathetic every year since he's been here.

Rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
this year ? if it were ONLY this year i'd give arians a pass... its been pathetic every year since he's been here.

MOP hit it dead on! This is nothing new. Like I said this team has been winning in spite of this idiot Bruce Arians.

And is OX is dead right too. This does fall squarely on Tomlinson shoulders to allow this pathetic offense to continue to flop around like a fish out of water.

Rockon

pete74
01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
11 plays - 89 yds TD
14 plays 78 yds FG
4 plays - 78 yds TD
13 plays - 92 yds TD
14 plays - 80 yds TD
4 plays - 61 yds TD
4 plays - 44 yds TD

Thank you, I was going to say the same thing.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM
cowher kept that turd kordell around for way to long. kordell held a good team back from being a great team... i believe the same is true with arians. his system and play calling DOES NOT compliment players strengths.
qb loves no huddle - arians solution - use it sparingly
great receiving TE - arians solution - use sparingly and ignore in the redzone.
shitty pass blocking - draft linemen that are more suited for run blocking , but never practice run blocking so they suck at that too. also use empty backfield on every obvious blitzing down.
call plays with 20 yard patterns on 3rd and 2.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
cowher kept that turd kordell around for way to long. kordell held a good team back from being a great team....

But Cowher would pull the trigger on an underperforming assistant coach in a heartbeat - Tomlin not so much

jiminpa
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
cowher kept that turd kordell around for way to long. kordell held a good team back from being a great team... i believe the same is true with arians. his system and play calling DOES NOT compliment players strengths.
qb loves no huddle - arians solution - use it sparingly
great receiving TE - arians solution - use sparingly and ignore in the redzone.
shitty pass blocking - draft linemen that are more suited for run blocking , but never practice run blocking so they suck at that too. also use empty backfield on every obvious blitzing down.
call plays with 20 yard patterns on 3rd and 2.
Cowher had Tom Donahoe as GM for most of his career here. Kordell was the best QB he had at the time. He tried to to replace him, but with whom, Kent Graham? How'd that work out?

BKAnthem
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I think Ben likes BA due to lack of discipline. Cowher and Whiz were more intense and focused, and got in his face. I have never seen BA do a Tom Coughlin impersonation or Cowher and see spit flying when cursing out their QB. Just a guess but I thin Ben likes the laissez faire management style of BA. I am sure ELI doesn't like Coughlin cussing him out but he has sure become a better player.

This

Want1MoreSB
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Arians is too inconsistent. Ben should not have any say who the OC should be.

Rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 07:04 PM

This...

Rockon

plenewken
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM

And Ben's too inconsistent too by the way, plus like you said, he has no business dictating anything as far as coaching.

mesaSteeler
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
You have to wonder who is running this team. Ben whispers frog and and Airhead and Tomlin hop around. Cubanstogie's comment about Airhead's lack of discipline was spot on.

lipps83
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Ben has been saying 'the sky is the limit for this offense' for the last few years. I agree with him that the talent on the offensive side of the ball is incredible.

Yet, we have never been a prolific offense under Arians. We are just barely better than average.

What could the problem be? :noidea:

MACH1
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Ben has been saying 'the sky is the limit for this offense' for the last few years. I agree with him that the talent on the offensive side of the ball is incredible.

Yet, we have never been a prolific offense under Arians. We are just barely better than average.

What could the problem be? :noidea:

You just answered your own question.

ricardisimo
01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Everyone here should be repeating this like a religious mantra: This season will be saved, and will be meaningful if only Bruce Arians finally gets fired.

As was stated, this much talent, and yet perpetually mediocre, always stumbling in the endzone. Whatever problems people have (or think they have) with Dick Lebeau, he regularly has a top-5 defense. Arians is incapable of stringing together just two straight good games. It hasn't happened up to now, and it never will.

This season will be saved, and will be meaningful if only Bruce Arians finally gets fired.

Everyone please write to Ed Bouchette (http://forums.steelersfever.com/ebouchette@post-gazette.com) and Jerry Dulac (http://forums.steelersfever.com/gdulac@post-gazette.com) at the PG, and to Scott Brown (http://forums.steelersfever.com/sbrown@tribweb.com) and Joe Starkey (http://forums.steelersfever.com/jraystarkey@gmail.com) at the Trib. You can copy and paste this, or use your own words. It matters not how you do it, just do it.

This season will be saved, and will be meaningful if only Bruce Arians finally gets fired.

Bruce must go.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Arians is the main holdback, period.

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Ben is not getting any better. He needs someone to show him how to take apart a defense. He did it once this year against the Patriots; and that's not saying much because despite having the ball the entire game we still didn't score over 30. His decisions are too high risk/high reward. 20-30 yard passes seem to be our only plays and sometimes you have to take that check down to keep rhythm going. There was absolutely none today.

CaliStillersFan
01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I was hoping that San Diego would fire Norv, and that we could dump Arians for him, but since he's staying I'll stick with Arians. Changing to an unproven coordinator will only disrupt the offense and set them back another year. Give Arians another year and hope for Norv to get fired next year. :)

lipps83
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I was hoping that San Diego would fire Norv, and that we could dump Arians for him, but since he's staying I'll stick with Arians. Changing to an unproven coordinator will only disrupt the offense and set them back another year. Give Arians another year and hope for Norv to get fired next year. :)

Arians for one more year will do nothing for this team.

He will not figure it out. He has been running the offense for 5 years now, and the offense is consistently inconsistent. This offense is all about the big play ability, but they average a big play that is worth a damn only once every other game it seems. The rest of the big plays are lost in stupid sacks that take us out of field goal range (like today) or on a drive that stalls and goes nowhere.

I am tired of the ineptitude. I am tired of struggling to put up more than 17 points against some of the worst teams in the league.

Its time to move on.

OX1947
01-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Blaming Dick Lebeau today is a little short-sighted. It is safe to say if Ike Taylor doesn't have his worst game as a pro today, the Steelers win. Simple as that. If there was one player that cost the team the win today, it was Ike Taylor. He also didn't have Ryan Clark in there.

As far as Arians, forget his play calling, its him and Tomlin's lack of direction with their QB. Big Ben's playground activity is legend, however, the numbers say he is a more effective QB when he is a pocket passer. And after 8 years and a Steve McNair like resume of injuries, Big Ben and Tomlin, will need to assess when they are going to decide to have a longer career or a shorter career. Throwing the ball away rather then taking a sack is 500 times better for the team and your health. This needs to be addresses. Big Ben is not Tebow, he is more then capable and has the skills to be a legit pocket QB, so the Steelers need to decide when they are going to decide what is good in the long run.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
considering the offense has never taken a step forward with arians , would a step back be possible ? :noidea: 20.3 points a game... where they gonna go ? 20 points a game ? :doh::doh:

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Arians needs to go. Anyone who doesn't see this is stupid. The biggest laugh I had all week was when Jim nantz was wondering why arians wasn't sought after as a head coach. I dunno cause everyone knows he sucks?

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Arians needs to go. Anyone who doesn't see this is stupid. The biggest laugh I had all week was when Jim nantz was wondering why arians wasn't sought after as a head coach. I dunno cause everyone knows he sucks?

This^

CaliStillersFan
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
considering the offense has never taken a step forward with arians , would a step back be possible ? :noidea: 20.3 points a game... where they gonna go ? 20 points a game ? :doh::doh:

Don't get me wrong....I wouldn't cry if they did fire him, but unfortunately yes, we actually could do worse than 20 points per game. I think if we had more than 2 quality offensive linemen we might put up a few more points per game. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks.

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 04:28 AM
These are some of the offensive players Kevin Colbert has drafted since 2000:

Plaxico Burress
Marvel Smith
Kendal Simmons
Antwaan Randle El
Ben Roethlisberger
Max Starks
Heath Miller
Trai Essex
Chris Kemoeatu
Santonio Holmes
Willie Colon
Rashard Mendenhall
Mike Wallace
Maurkice Pouncey
Emmanuel Sanders
Antonio Brown

At least one of these guys is a potential Hall of Famer, all of them are or were solid starters for a good period of time, and several are looking like perennial Pro Bowlers. In other words, there are no personnel excuses for under-performing.

So, here are the Steelers' offensive rankings for the five years preceding Bruce's tenure here, and then for his five years here:

2002 - 5th (yds)/8th (pts)
2003 - 22nd (yds)/19th (pts)
2004 - 16th (yds)/11th (pts)
2005 - 15th (yds)/9th (pts)
2006 - 7th (yds)/12th (pts)
2007 - 17th (yds)/9th (pts)
2008 - 22nd (yds)/20th (pts)
2009 - 7th (yds)/12th (pts)
2010 - 14th (yds)/12th (pts)
2011 - 12th (yds)/21st (pts)

Glancing at this, the most charitable thing that one can say for Bruce is that he has held steady to a course of mediocrity. If anything, there is a recognizable decline under his stewardship, especially in terms of points. 2003 under Mularkey may have been abysmal, but it was because of 2003 that we drafted Ben. And yet 2008 was worse, and here we are in 2011, with Ben, with Wallace, with Antonio Brown, with Rashard, with Heath and Sanders... ranking 21st in points, the lowest over this entire period.

The guy sucks big smelly dicks. He needs to go. You, the fans, need to write to the PG and the Trib, and to ESPN and the rest and tell them: Bruce Arians needs to go. We need an offensive coordinator who takes his job seriously, and who isn't just a 13-year-old boy playing Madden in his parents' basement, albeit with real, live football players instead a PS2.

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Let's be honest, the majority of successful passing plays aren't a result of brilliant play calling by Arians, it's because Ben had to break out of the pocket, run for his life, and make a pass on the run. There never seems to be anything methodical about the offensive gameplan. No exploiting the defenses weaknesses, creating mismatches, or catching them off guard. It's just run right, run left, bubble screen, and set up for 50 yard bombs. And when they get in the redzone it's: forget about the tight end, throw fade passes to short receivers, or hope that Ben breaks out of the pocket and creates something on the run. If all else fails, we always got good ol' reliable Suisham.

EbonySteel86
01-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Ben and Ariens loves the long ball and hates the run even if the run is working. Ariens has no game plan, he just chucks it deep and hope for the best... Clown! Smh!

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Let's be honest, the majority of successful passing plays aren't a result of brilliant play calling by Arians, it's because Ben had to break out of the pocket, run for his life, and make a pass on the run. There never seems to be anything methodical about the offensive gameplan. No exploiting the defenses weaknesses, creating mismatches, or catching them off guard. It's just run right, run left, bubble screen, and set up for 50 yard bombs. And when they get in the redzone it's: forget about the tight end, throw fade passes to short receivers, or hope that Ben breaks out of the pocket and creates something on the run. If all else fails, we always got good ol' reliable Suisham.
One exception all year: the Pats game. Perfectly planned, perfectly executed. Ergo, let's never do that again. :banging:

EbonySteel86
01-09-2012, 06:06 AM
One exception all year: the Pats game. Perfectly planned, perfectly executed. Ergo, let's never do that again. :banging:

Exactly!!!