PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of negative threads

ETL
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
There is a strong current of negative thinking that is on this board as well as other Steeler boards and I have some theories as to why.

1. TO BALANCE THE POSITIVE: Negative thoughts seems to be much more prevalent when we are prohibitive favorites. Its almost a ying and yang thing ... why people break glass at a Jewish wedding ... the negative thinking is issued to balance the overwhelming positive commentary, statements and thoughts issued by media, players and other fans about the certainty of a Steeler win. If we were underdogs - negative thinking would just add to the imbalance and you don't hear it. If anything, there are more statements of pseudo bravado (pseudo because we are not actually the ones playing in the game.) Being huge favorites will always trigger negative thoughts.

2. AS A COPING MECHANISM: People who issue these negative thoughts have a humongous fear and that fear is "what if we actually lose." I'm not saying that the Steelers can't lose - they very well can. But there are a set of people almost obsessed with what they would have to deal with if the Steelers lose. To that end, they prepare themselves ... give themselves "outs" to be able to cope with the loss. And these preparations start even before the game, hence the negative thoughts.

3. AS A HEDGE: People with negative thoughts, in my opinion, want and expect the Steelers to win more than people who don't issue these thoughts. I would submit, they are more rabid Steeler fans than the ones who emote on the outside. The gut wrenching that they go through is so intense and much greater that someone who screams out because they keep it all bottled inside. As such, having some negativity about the game acts to keep them somewhat calm and collected and the Steelers ultimately lose, statements of "I told you so" or "I knew that would happen" allow them to claim some control over the situation.

Why do I issue these thoughts? BECAUSE I AM GUILTY OF EVERYTHING ABOVE.

Go Steelers! (please go) :injured:

BlaZeQuietly
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Nah it's real, we caught the injury-smallpox-H5N1-H1N1-Polio-Meningitis-Herpes

queeg
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
There is a strong current of negative thinking that is on this board as well as other Steeler boards and I have some theories as to why.

1. TO BALANCE THE POSITIVE: Negative thoughts seems to be much more prevalent when we are prohibitive favorites. Its almost a ying and yang thing ... why people break glass at a Jewish wedding ... the negative thinking is issued to balance the overwhelming positive commentary, statements and thoughts issued by media, players and other fans about the certainty of a Steeler win. If we were underdogs - negative thinking would just add to the imbalance and you don't hear it. If anything, there are more statements of pseudo bravado (pseudo because we are not actually the ones playing in the game.) Being huge favorites will always trigger negative thoughts.

2. AS A COPING MECHANISM: People who issue these negative thoughts have a humongous fear and that fear is "what if we actually lose." I'm not saying that the Steelers can't lose - they very well can. But there are a set of people almost obsessed with what they would have to deal with if the Steelers lose. To that end, they prepare themselves ... give themselves "outs" to be able to cope with the loss. And these preparations start even before the game, hence the negative thoughts.

3. AS A HEDGE: People with negative thoughts, in my opinion, want and expect the Steelers to win more than people who don't issue these thoughts. I would submit, they are more rabid Steeler fans than the ones who emote on the outside. The gut wrenching that they go through is so intense and much greater that someone who screams out because they keep it all bottled inside. As such, having some negativity about the game acts to keep them somewhat calm and collected and the Steelers ultimately lose, statements of "I told you so" or "I knew that would happen" allow them to claim some control over the situation.

Why do I issue these thoughts? BECAUSE I AM GUILTY OF EVERYTHING ABOVE.

Go Steelers! (please go) :injured:

Wah???? See what a 100,000 dollar education gets you...

Thks for the seminar.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Wah???? See what a 100,000 dollar education gets you...

Thks for the seminar.

Man, not only are you judgemental, but you're condescending as well. We've all had about enough of you. Bye bye now.

harrison'samonster
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
i'm guilty of those three as well! It's like I'm high when they are winning easily, but in any other case (even close games we have the lead the whole game) I'm anxious and miserable. I'm always happy at the end when we win though, and a win makes everything ok.

jjpro11
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM
everyone's just frustrated that we're not going to be able to put our best team out on the field for the playoffs. add in the absurd amount of injuries on the Penguins, and it just has everyone pissed off as sports fans.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2012, 03:18 PM
everyone's just frustrated that we're not going to be able to put our best team out on the field for the playoffs. add in the absurd amount of injuries on the Penguins, and it just has everyone pissed off as sports fans.

Yeah, that's pretty much where Pittsburgh sports fans are right now. The injury bug has been a bitch here lately.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
4. bruce arians is offensive coordinator. - if anybody can keep an inferior opponent in the game until the end its bruce arians and his putrid play calling.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much where Pittsburgh sports fans are right now. The injury bug has been a bitch here lately.

OTOH we could be stuck with being Bengals or Falcons fans

SteelCityMom
01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
OTOH we could be stuck with being Bengals or Falcons fans

I shudder at the thought...

2 points Falcons? Really? I'm glad I missed most of that game.

DoctorCAD
01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Because it's the truth?

Ha, never saw that one coming, did ya?