PDA

View Full Version : Most EMBARRASSING loss in team history?

SoCalFan
01-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I think so...... THIS F****ING SUCKS!!!

jjpro11
01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
80 yard pass 1st play in overtime.. nice game.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Chill out. It was a good game. I'm just happy the Steelers made it to the post season this year.

I obviously would have preferred a different outcome, but it is what it is.

SteelCityMom
Chill out. It was a good game. I'm just happy the Steelers made it to the post season this year.

skinart82
Yes it is

Want1MoreSB
No, the one we lost at home to Jac Jaguars.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I still think the 2009 loss to Cleveland was worse cause that was a heartless, gutless effort. This wasn't. This was Dick Lebeau getting owned by Tim Tebow...odd as that sounds.

Want1MoreSB
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
On the positive side, the misery is over for Ben, our pathetic OL and our pathetic secondary.

SoCalFan
01-08-2012, 07:29 PM

It was good effort considering how banged up we were, BUT I wont be watching any ESPN this week and have to face piers with the fact that we got lit up by Tebow= EMBARRASSING! I have every rite!

TRH
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
it was certainly up there. For one, when the game ended at a tie.....i truly didn't feel we even deserved to be there. It felt like it was 80-7. We were outplayed and outhustled the whole game. On the last drive we should have scored.
Sacked. Sacked? When everyone's downfield and only 3 are rushing?
I don't know if it was our most embarrassing game ever, but its not far away. Our NON-existent pass rush and Ike's awful play really stood out. We made them look fabulous.
This WAS NOT...a good game.

Steel_Bus_24
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Worst Big Game loss, its definitely in the running

Has Ike Taylor ever had a good game against Denver???? I remember his ass getting benched in 06 by Cowher for his suckage, 07 Cutler lit us up, 09 maybe he did decent there I dunno but it doesn't even matter because of todays horse sh**

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Maybe most embarrassing, but I have had others that hurt worse. With our injuries and sporadic offense I did not expect much if we made it next weekend. But I am disappointed in our defense, both secondary and the guys up front. I do not know if Tebows jersey even got sweat stains.

Mario_34
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Ike taylor needs to go.

He got motha ****ing embarrassed out there.
Dude needs an ice shower cuz he got ****ing burnt.

SoCalFan
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
So strange how Ike looked, after a pretty darn good year!

lipps83
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
No. I think the most embarrassing game was against the Texans where we put up over 400 yards of total offense and the Texans had like, 50, and still won the game.

This was close, but not quite the worst.

Mario_34
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
damn yo so mad

TRH
01-08-2012, 07:41 PM
it was certainly up there. For one, when the game ended at a tie.....i truly didn't feel we even deserved to be there. It felt like it was 80-7. We were outplayed and outhustled the whole game. On the last drive we should have scored.
Sacked. Sacked? When everyone's downfield and only 3 are rushing?
I don't know if it was our most embarrassing game ever, but its not far away. Our NON-existent pass rush and Ike's awful play really stood out. We made them look fabulous.
This WAS NOT...a good game.

SwannWorth88
01-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Anybody with a third of a brain knows you don't play your secondary on the line of scrimmage in a situation where a touchdown beats you.

Flat out UNACCEPTABLE.

AndyWitmyer
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM

I agree. That was still more embarrassing.

The Steelers were running on empty, with wounded and injured players left and right...yet we still came back from a big deficit and came close to executing a last minute game ending drive. Although we'll never know for sure, I'm convinced that a healthier team would have made the difference and under these circumstances, would have ended it with an easy field goal. But that's not the way it went.

I'd say that while this wasn't the most embarassing loss in team history, it was certainly the most anti-climactic! Denver was clutch and rose to the challenge...Tebow won with a play that was made exactly when he needed it. Ben's done this before - but this time, we were outplayed. Narrowly, but outplayed none the less!

Here's to a healthier 2012!

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Anybody with a third of a brain knows you don't play your secondary on the line of scrimmage in a situation where a touchdown beats you.

Flat out UNACCEPTABLE.

unacceptable and flat-out stubborn by Lebeau

steelbad@50

Flat out UNACCEPTABLE.

I agree. Ecspecially with our secondary. To much praise heaped on Ike and Troy for what, to be schooled by Tebow. PATHETIC :banging:

BleedPurple
Only embarrassing thing is Ben's ridiculous freaking pork pie hat, rofl.

truesteelerfan
01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Game sucked yes...but worst game in team history- young fans are ya? Look back into our history...you'll see much worse games we have played.

Mario_34
01-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Flat out UNACCEPTABLE.

EXACTLY!
They kept crowding Polumalu up their when really they needed him in the middle or over the top.
Horribile Game plan

madtowndrunkard
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Maybe the worst coaching since we lost to the Texans or maybe the raiders..... oh yea...same coaching staff..... Tomlin is not a good coach -- period.

Stlrs4Life
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM

?? Sounds like a Browns fan? Just happy tomake the playoffs? You got to beat the teams you are supposed to beat. This is the most embarassing loss in awhile. Could be the laughing stock of all teams in the playoffs.

Mario_34
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Flat out UNACCEPTABLE.

Exactly man. Why in gods green earth would they keep sending polumalu on blitzes or flat coverages when we really need him over the top or in the middle of the field cleaning up Taylors mess.

tony hipchest
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Exactly man. Why in gods green earth would they keep sending polumalu on blitzes or flat coverages when we really need him over the top or in the middle of the field cleaning up Taylors mess.

because tim "cant hit the side of a barn" suckbow was at qb.

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Remember we are a WildCard team...Many loses worse.

madtowndrunkard
01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
We were a wild card team because we couldn't beat the Ravens.

We shit the bed...... we are clearly the most talented team in the AFC..... total failure.

Tomlin you SUCK.

AndyWitmyer
01-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Maybe the worst coaching since we lost to the Texans or maybe the raiders..... oh yea...same coaching staff..... Tomlin is not a good coach -- period.

Oh, give me a break!!!! It took Cowher how long to win a SB? Tomlin may be playing with a team that Cowher *eventually* built, but his record is otherwise no better, nor worse than that of our previous coach. Let's see where we are in 10-15 years.

Part of what sets the Steelers apart from the legions of other lesser organizations is that we stick to our guns. We don't lop off heads. We give our coaches and staff the time needed to grow and learn. Tomlin will be a great coach - he may not be the best there is, and may not ever be - but I trust the Rooney's. They hired him because they believed he was the best person for the job.

He did win a SB and came close to winning another. Though that's encouraging, I won't deny that Coach also displayed a distinct lack of common sense now and again. But he's a young coach - he has time on his side. And I believe that the Rooney's decision to hire him will be more than vindicated.

steelfury02
01-08-2012, 08:07 PM
At least we lost by battling back. Could have been the Falcons - whose only points came from a safety lol

This sucks - but in a weird way - I knew going into halftime that we didn't deserve to win and pretty much had the feeling that even if we tied it - our defense would have let them score - just like they have before this season

These guys have had one too many long seasons, are too fat and happy, and too many guys are long in the tooth

Time for some big changes

BigRick
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
As a 40 year plus Steelers fan, I don't know if this is the most embarrassing loss in team history. But it certainly in the top 5!:banging::banging:

Rick5895
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Worst loss to me ......51-0 to the browns in "89!!!!!

Rick5895
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
At least we lost by battling back. Could have been the Falcons - whose only points came from a safety lol

This sucks - but in a weird way - I knew going into halftime that we didn't deserve to win and pretty much had the feeling that even if we tied it - our defense would have let them score - just like they have before this season

These guys have had one too many long seasons, are too fat and happy, and too many guys are long in the tooth

Time for some big changes

Agree!!

Cherinko
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Mike Tomlin can't coach. Ike Taylor can't cover. Lebeau needs to retire. Wallace dropped a deep ball - maybe we can bundle him and an overrated Polamalu for a 4th and 5th in April. Roethlisberger had his shot and blew it; I'd personally like to see how Dixon would handle the starting job to begin next year. We'll be lucky to go 6-10 next season.

Addressing issues in a mature levelheaded way is one thing but good lord some of you people really bring the term 'unfounded hysteria' to a new level. I'd hate to be caught in quicksand with any of you. And name calling...really?

tony hipchest
01-08-2012, 08:10 PM

because tim "cant hit the side of a barn" suckbow was at qb.

btaylor179
01-08-2012, 08:10 PM
shouldve scored right before half as well....grrrrr.dam i could go on all nite

madtowndrunkard
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Oh, give me a break!!!! It took Cowher how long to win a SB? Tomlin may be playing with a team that Cowher *eventually* built, but his record is otherwise no better, nor worse than that of our previous coach. Let's see where we are in 10-15 years.

Part of what sets the Steelers apart from the legions of other lesser organizations is that we stick to our guns. We don't lop off heads. We give our coaches and staff the time needed to grow and learn. Tomlin will be a great coach - he may not be the best there is, and may not ever be - but I trust the Rooney's. They hired him because they believed he was the best person for the job.

He did win a SB and came close to winning another. Though that's encouraging, I won't deny that Coach also displayed a distinct lack of common sense now and again. But he's a young coach - he has time on his side. And I believe that the Rooney's decision to hire him will be more than vindicated.

GIVE ME A F@#$^ break..... call me crazy but the difference between Kordel / Kent / Neil is a little different between Ben...with Batch backing him up..... seriously? This is the best QB and WRs we've had EVER..... at least since the 70's... I'll give you that. We just lost to a team with a college QB.... THINK ABOUT THAT! BS BS BS When you lose to less talent...its the coaches fault. Period.

LastRide
01-08-2012, 08:12 PM
The Steelers have some saps that need to move on, but history shows the organization doesn't make the moves needed to fix glaring problems. Expect the same team and coaches next year. Rebuilding will be done through the draft and in 10 years maybe we can compete again. Unless it takes 27 years to win the big one again.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
36 years here. Pretty dam close when you look at the teams that contributed to loss's.

Ravens this year embarrassing, and Broncos due to them being this years broncos has to be at the top from what I can remember.

madtowndrunkard
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Tomlin was exposed.... I said it... Tomlin was exposed. Ben should not have been out there.... if Batch is that bad then we are all wrong. He's not a coach...he's a manager. Tomlin...you got one more season.... if he fails like this again then FIRE HIM. Yes I said it...FIRE HIM NEXT SEASON if we don't make it to the SB.

jjpro11
01-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Tomlin was exposed.... I said it... Tomlin was exposed. Ben should not have been out there.... if Batch is that bad then we are all wrong. He's not a coach...he's a manager. Tomlin...you got one more season.... if he fails like this again then FIRE HIM. Yes I said it...FIRE HIM NEXT SEASON if we don't make it to the SB.

Ben was running pretty well and led us back.. he was hardly a liability.. he may not have been 100%, but he belonged in the game.

casteeler
01-08-2012, 08:17 PM
The Steelers have some saps that need to move on, but history shows the organization doesn't make the moves needed to fix glaring problems. Expect the same team and coaches next year. Rebuilding will be done through the draft and in 10 years maybe we can compete again. Unless it takes 27 years to win the big one again.

Our Secondary hasn't been a glaring problem for 2-3 seasons?

SoCalFan
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM

No no no! Look what he had to work with! The team is beat up! He does need to be punished maybe for keeping bruce around too long!

mikegrimey
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
This was a big upset but hardly the most embarrassing loss I've ever seen, and I'm only 26. I can think of a couple losses during 09 that were against more inferior opponents.

Sure this one hurts, denarius Thomas averaging 50 plus yards a catch
Tebow only completing 10 passes but eclipsing 300 yards

The offense starting slow, Wallace cursing at the Denver fans after his td run
Ike Taylor's worst game since 2006

But it happens, Denver showed up and played a hell of a game, kudos to the

I'm interested in the people saying Tomlin did a poor job coaching
What specifically do you all think he did "bad"?

LastRide
01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Our Secondary hasn't been a glaring problem for 2-3 seasons?

Yes it is. Have they fixed it ?. They will ignore it like every other year. Some punk they drafted riding the pines for 5 years will come in and try to be our saviour. When they find out he sucks after 5 years, it will take another 5 years.

LambertWardSteel
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
When you lose to less talent...its the coaches fault. Period.

Agreed.

SteelCity'33
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Clark gets back in coverage on that last play...Mundy showed blitz and didn't recover in time. Steelers defense was a shell of itself...Tomlin won't make excuses but without Clark, Kiesel, Hampton and Woodley being used situational, we couldn't matchup and pay Steeler defense. Not to mention o-line issues! Somehow some way Tebow got some unbelievable breaks against the teams the broncos beat...

It's sickening to lose to the Donkeys...a team not deserving the playoffs...now we have to deal with the media portraying Teblow as an idol. It's going to be a long week and even longer offseason!

AndyWitmyer
01-08-2012, 08:26 PM
"I'm interested in the people saying Tomlin did a poor job coaching
What specifically do you all think he did "bad"? " - mikegrimey

Coaches don't play the game - the guys in uniform play the game. Coaches have power, but I don't believe that they are ultimately the difference between a win or a loss. Could Batch have played better? We'll never know. But I think playing Ben was the best decision - he wasn't all that bad, all things considered. Our team tried - hell, they came back from a huge deficit and almost rallied with a minute left in the 4th.

We managed to get to the Playoffs with half the team injured. We tried our best - but Denver played a better game. And that's all there is to it.

SteelWarrior69
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Disappointing loss is all i can say (
The Negatives:

1 )How many times did we fall for the bootleg left on 2nd down? at least 3 i counted and the 1 time only 1 WO went out on a pattern and 5 guys were "covering" him.
2) The dropped passes by Cotchery and Wallace
3) No pressure on Tebow
4) Ben got sacked 3x's by a 3 man rush wtf
5) Injuries
6) lack of secondary play on the worst rated passer going into the playoffs
7) Doug Legursky's high snap while in FG range

Many more those are just the ones that stood out to me

Better luck next year guys!

SteelCity'33
01-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Disappointing loss is all i can say (
The Negatives:

1 )How many times did we fall for the bootleg left on 2nd down? at least 3 i counted and the 1 time only 1 WO went out on a pattern and 5 guys were "covering" him.

Exactly, why not force him to the right and see if he completes any thing down field. That would make him tuck and run..,

jtbsteeler
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
This is the most embarrassing playoff loss. We lost to Houston after only giving up less than 100 TOTAL yards. That's embarassing

SoCalFan
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
The fact that it was Tebow during all this hype! It will take a while to get over this hangover! I will plan all my mountain biking trips during the rest of the playoff games this season for sure!

desertsteel
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
You guys have zero perspective. This team wasn't gonna win the super bowl. We looked terrible for a 12-4 team and Ben was inaccurate after the injury. Time to move on.

SoCalFan
01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
You guys have zero perspective. This team wasn't gonna win the super bowl. We looked terrible for a 12-4 team and Ben was inaccurate after the injury. Time to move on.

That has jack $hit to do with losing to Tebow!

ZoneBlitzer
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Steelers were out-coached, out-played and out-classed at every level on all sides of the ball. The Broncos were the better team by a country mile. The defense had ZERO answers for Tebow and their offense and the Steelers O took too long to wake up and furthermore when the defense finally made a timely stand, the offense laid an egg and choked with 1:41 left and two timeouts. The 80 yard touchdown was just an exclamation mark for the end of this corp group. Time to retool, fire some coaches and rebuild.

silver & black
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM
How about your loss to the 2006 Raiders after winning the SB the year before? The Raiders won with 95 yards of total offense...lol. We were THE worst team in the NFL... EVER IMO...lol.

MACH1
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
How about your loss to the 2006 Raiders after winning the SB the year before? The Raiders won with 95 yards of total offense...lol. We were THE worst team in the NFL... EVER IMO...lol.

:buttkick:

At least it wasn't a playoff game. But ya it a top three game.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
In team history? Wouldn't even call it the most embarrassing this year. The first Ravens game was far worse. Not excusing our play today one bit but the first Ravens loss was plain bad,. Easily one of the most frustrating losses though. Tie up a game late after being behind most of the game and then lose on the first play of OT. That's heartbreaking especially in the playoffs.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2012, 09:28 PM
People need to calm down. Broncos have a good defense and are a much better team than their record shows. The media makes them look way worse than they are because they love attacking Tebow when he's coming off a bad game. We still gave them a fight and almost won. Hardly "embarrassing."

Now, the first game against the Ravens this year, I'd nominate that for most embarrasing loss. That just wasn't Steeler football.

TRH
01-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Steelers were out-coached, out-played and out-classed at every level on all sides of the ball. The Broncos were the better team by a country mile. The defense had ZERO answers for Tebow and their offense and the Steelers O took too long to wake up and furthermore when the defense finally made a timely stand, the offense laid an egg and choked with 1:41 left and two timeouts. The 80 yard touchdown was just an exclamation mark for the end of this corp group. Time to retool, fire some coaches and rebuild.

Once again.....and i've been saying this for weeks now in different postings.....we don't even look like we want it. Our coaches don't have us "fired up" and ready. We look lazy out there...soft....i compare it to when you just got up from an afternoon nap. Thats what both our O and D look like out there.
In contrast, did you notice the Ravens? Their D comes out looking like they want the dismantle somebody and something. Notice the 49ers?? They were practically foaming at the mouth out there on D. I thought they were rabid animals at one point. Us? LOL. Not even close. Our defense looked like it was just out there shooting the s**t and hanging out.

I know the coaches don't execute the play, but if i was a coach, i surely couldn't be happy with the lackadaisical attitude just spewing from both sides of the ball. Hell, Heath Miller and Redman looked like they were the only 2 who even wanted to show up tonight.

desTROY43
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I thought it was gonna be a lot worse after seeing what happened the 2nd quarter. It could have been a blowout, but they fought back and tied it up. I wouldn't say it was the most embarrassing loss for the organization, but the most embarrassing for Ike Taylor.

ZoneBlitzer
01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Once again.....and i've been saying this for weeks now in different postings.....we don't even look like we want it. Our coaches don't have us "fired up" and ready. We look lazy out there...soft....i compare it to when you just got up from an afternoon nap. Thats what both our O and D look like out there.
In contrast, did you notice the Ravens? Their D comes out looking like they want the dismantle somebody and something. Notice the 49ers?? They were practically foaming at the mouth out there on D. I thought they were rabid animals at one point. Us? LOL. Not even close. Our defense looked like it was just out there shooting the s**t and hanging out.

I know the coaches don't execute the play, but if i was a coach, i surely couldn't be happy with the lackadaisical attitude just spewing from both sides of the ball. Hell, Heath Miller and Redman looked like they were the only 2 who even wanted to show up tonight.

The emotional leaders on this team are starting to seriously thin out. This team can't play the cerebral game that Tomlin wants. They need to play fired up and with emotion.

TRH
01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
The emotional leaders on this team are starting to seriously thin out. This team can't play the cerebral game that Tomlin wants. They need to play fired up and with emotion.

Where's Joey Porter or Greg Lloyd when we need one? Harrison is a tough guy, but he's too damn quiet, he doesn't fire the team up.
If emotional leaders are "thinning out", its still on the coach. I like Tomlin, but a very embarrassing day for him today. One of his worst coaching days.

CaliStillersFan
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm still waiting to wake up from this awful awful dream I'm stuck in watching our beloved Steelers being Tebowed.

:doh:

It was a tough way to go out, but I had no delusions of winning past today anyway, so I'm not overly bummed. I knew it was going to be ugly as soon as we lost Hampton and Keisel. The only thing that shocked me was Ike getting burned by Thomas for 4 catches for over 200 yards.....WTF was that?

As much as this pains me to say....GO RAVENS...KILL THE PATS!!!!

silver & black
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
:buttkick:

At least it wasn't a playoff game. But ya it a top three game.

I hope you guys know that I'm not rubbing it in. I'm just trying to show that shit happens.... even when it shouldn't.

I'm a fan of a team that has an extremely storied past. A team that I would have NEVER thought would be where they are, at this time.

You are fans of one of the greatest teams in the history of the game. You lost a playoff game today. Look at the whole picture of your team. What do you see? How many teams' fan's do you think would love to claim membership in your club?

Although my team has struggled mightily over the last 9 years, I'm still fortunate to be a fan of another of the great teams in this league. I think we are on our way back to being one of the great teams again. You should all be thankful for the ownership and steady success of your team. There are MANY teams/fans that wish they were as fortunate.

Success isn't a given or a blessing.... even though some fans think otherwise. I know... I've been reminded of it for the last 9 years.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I hope you guys know that I'm not rubbing it in. I'm just trying to show that shit happens.... even when it shouldn't.

I'm a fan of a team that has an extremely storied past. A team that I would have NEVER thought would be where they are, at this time.

You are fans of one of the greatest teams in the history of the game. You lost a playoff game today. Look at the whole picture of your team. What do you see? How many teams' fan's do you think would love to claim membership in your club?

Although my team has struggled mightily over the last 9 years, I'm still fortunate to be a fan of another of the great teams in this league. I think we are on our way back to being one of the great teams again. You should all be thankful for the ownership and steady success of your team. There are MANY teams/fans that wish they were as fortunate.

Success isn't a given or a blessing.... even though some fans think otherwise. I know... I've been reminded of it for the last 9 years.
I appreciate you doing this. I'm a Steelers fan who lives in Redskins territory. Their fans would be happy to have what Steelers fan have had. I hate to say it but some attitudes I see from my fellow Steelers fans show me why we are disliked and even hated by other teams. I of course understand why we as Steelers fans have high expectations but I'm a realist too.

zero1
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I think the week 1 loss at Baltimore was more embarrassing than this one.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I still think the 2009 loss to Cleveland was worse cause that was a heartless, gutless effort. This wasn't. This was Dick Lebeau getting owned by Tim Tebow...odd as that sounds.

Couldn't be more wrong, LeBeau's plan was brilliant. Make a horrible passer pass all game and contain his running abilities in the pocket while Polamalu roams the field, perfect plan. Problem is we didn't get a single sack, a single interception, and Ike Taylor borderline threw the game. LeBeau is not to blame, you can't get to old to call plays and he's not figured out, just ask tom brady!

Steel Warrior
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Yesh folks, that was an 8-8 team that just kicked our asses. Easily the worst playoff loss ever in the history of the Steelers and I've been a fan since the 60's. Not gonna point fingers, or say what if this or what if that, just responding to the question of this thread, and yes, that was the most embarrassing loss ever in the history of this team, period!

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I think the week 1 loss at Baltimore was more embarrassing than this one.

that was probably the worst game I've seen the team play in a while. Usually we're in it throughout but in that one. It was over from the start.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
It was the worst playoff game next to Jacksonville at home last year.

lambertlunaticfan
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I have to agree with you.But this one ranks up there....No, the one we lost at home to Jac Jaguars.

Rustandsteel
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
In a word - yes.
Sorry to be negative but I believe even fans need too keep it real.

For the number one defense in the league (by virtually any measure, and arguably one of the great defenses of the last generation) to be humiliated on national television and bounced out of the playoffs by the arm of a quarterback who has shown no indication of being able to play the position at the elite level, is simply embarrassing. This is the same quarterback who could barely complete a pass the last three weeks and was held to 3 points by the Chiefs and destroyed by the lowly Buffalo Bills. Yet the vaunted Pittsburgh Steeler defense managed to make Tim Tebow look like John Elway. One of the most humiliating losses in the history of the storied Steeler franchise.

Be lucky you do not live among a town of rabid Tebow worshippers. Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow and will have to ban ESPN and the NFL Network for the week.

jtbsteeler
01-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Tebow was 10-21 for 310 yards right? So his completions averaged 30+ yards. That's not embarrassing? Clearly the most embarrassed I've been as a fan. And the idiots who want to pooh pooh this loss FU!

We got Tebowed by the worst starter in the league. Only good thing is that Tomlin will have to make changes, some that he thought he could get away with not making before this. I'm excited for the future.

steelerjim58
01-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I think so...... THIS F****ING SUCKS!!!

My same thought immediately after the game. Nothing comes close in my mind.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 12:40 AM
One of the worst games I've been to and the most EMBARRASSING was 2002's home loss to the expansion, Houston Texans. That, was sorry. Tommy Maddox had a gazillion turnovers that game after returning from a spinal chord injury and practically gave Houston all of their points. The defense held the Texans offense to just 47 total yards, yet, we lost big, haha. THAT was the most embarrassing.

As far as today, it's embarrassing because of how inferior Denver really is to us but givin' our injury situation before the game and having another 3 players at the elite positions go down, it just wasn't meant to be. We WEREN'T advancing next week anyhow. New England would of destroyed us and ANY AFC team in this years Super Bowl will get annihilated by either GB or NO.

JCPsteelers
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
This was bad but it wasn't as bad as 94 AFC championship game where we had outgained the Chargers 210-15 at one point (while only up 10-0) and ended up losing 17-13

Thomas does go into Steeler lore like Pupunu though.

Still no sugarcoating it, this was definitely Top 5 as one of the worst losses in playoff history for us

steeltheone
01-09-2012, 01:26 AM

Exactly!

Gingerchip
01-09-2012, 03:17 AM
No. The first game of the season when the Ravens blew us out was.

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Am I the only one not finding that much shame in this loss? I'm only really ashamed of Ike Taylor's play. We were missing Pouncey, Clark, Keisel, Hampton, Mendenhall, and Starks, Woodley wasn't over the hamstring, and Ben was obviously not 100% and still managed to rally us into overtime. We had a rookie getting his first significant playing time EVER at DE against one of the best left tackles in football. Any other team with this many key injuries would have absolutely shit the bed, especially in the playoffs, and we still rallied back and played a good game in the second half in what should have been a complete blowout.

The Broncos defense is one of the most formidable in football, and Tim Tebow is no scrub. Yes, he is not a very polished QB, but when the game is on the line, especially in a postseason setting, he turns into an extremely dangerous weapon and leader. We heard the same complaints about Ben for years, that he sucked unless he was in a 2 minute drill. He's done this at every level of the game. I have a lot of respect for Tebow. Losing to him in this fashion is not losing to Joe Flacco.

There have been FAR worse losses than this, even this season, and anyone acting like the world is over or like this is a bigger upset than SB42 or something is letting the media's "Tim Tebow is awful and the Steelers will crush him" mumbo jumbo from all this week cloud their vision. Anybody who pays attention to the game knew that this was going to be a close battle and that Tebow wasn't going to play the way he had in weeks prior.

BritishSteel
01-09-2012, 04:37 AM

This. That home defeat to the Jags was painfully bad. The Ravens game this year was a spectacular mismatch. Losing to the Raiders in 06.......This one feels bad because it's raw and because Tebow sucked in the last few games of the season. That said, with our injuries we'd have struggled against anyone in that game, and Denver played lights out, had a double digit lead at the half and we still dragged it to OT. It's a painful defeat for sure, but most embarrasing? Not for me. Probably doesn't even make the top 5.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 04:43 AM
This. That home defeat to the Jags was painfully bad. The Ravens game this year was a spectacular mismatch. Losing to the Raiders in 06.......This one feels bad because it's raw and because Tebow sucked in the last few games of the season. That said, with our injuries we'd have struggled against anyone in that game, and Denver played lights out, had a double digit lead at the half and we still dragged it to OT. It's a painful defeat for sure, but most embarrasing? Not for me. Probably doesn't even make the top 5.

Jags had an even bigger lead and we took the lead.

BritishSteel
01-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Jags had an even bigger lead and we took the lead.

You're right - but it was at home and as they built that initial lead, we were unwatchable. That we clawed that back and then tossed it away and all at home makes that loss more unpalatable than this one. Don't get me wrong, the second quarter last night was pretty dismal, but on balance, that Jags defeat hurt me more.

4xSBChamps
01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
the '94 AFC Championship Game loss, to a truly woeful San Diego Charger team, at-home while healthy, was much-worse than this loss to the Broncos at Denver:
that team spent the week before the game planning their Super Bowl video, instead of preparing for the battle-ahead

despite the 12-4 record, this simply wasn't a strong Pittsburgh Steeler football team, continually playing-down to the level of the opposition ~ the recent rash of injuries just exposed this more-clearly

TRH
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
the '94 AFC Championship Game loss, to a truly woeful San Diego Charger team, at-home while healthy, was much-worse than this loss to the Broncos at Denver:
that team spent the week before the game planning their Super Bowl video, instead of preparing for the battle-ahead

despite the 12-4 record, this simply wasn't a strong Pittsburgh Steeler football team, continually playing-down to the level of the opposition ~ the recent rash of injuries just exposed this more-clearly

true.
I felt like we were (and played) more like a 7-9, 8-8 team this year. NO WAY we were a 12-4 team, regardless of what the boxscore says.

ckrawchuk
01-09-2012, 08:45 AM
It was EXCRUCIATINGLY painful to watch. It felt like a bad dream. I hate that feeling of slowly deflating, being given a glimmer of hope, then one last cruel, crushing blow.

Feeling so depressed that you wish you could cry to relieve some of the pain.

This was worse than losing the SB last year.

I think the biggest mistake of all was not resting Big Ben for the last two regular season games. Charlie Batch is a perfectly competent QB. We might have even won last night if Batch had played.

So, so, so disappointing, when we know they were capable of so much more :(

rgj
01-09-2012, 09:06 AM
The only thing that embarrasses me is going to work this morning and listening to all the Steeler haters gloat with glee. I am not and never have been the type of fan to artificially wrap myself in Steeler/Pens bravado. But boy, that hasn't stopped others raking me over the coals today.....

I do not think this is a strong team at all. There is no offensive imagination, other than Ben scrambling to avoid the porous line, hoping to complete a pass to someone that finally gets open. I do not know who runs the offense, Ben or Arians. But it is predictable and uninspiring. The running game is a shambles. I am NOT a fan of Arians. I had to chuckle when one of the TV broadcasters mentioned that no one was knocking on Arians' door (well, DUH!).....

The defense? #1 in the NFL my ass. No penetration, no pressure on the opposing quarterbacks, the only time a run is stopped is when the backfield rushes the line. Maybe this once proud group is overrated, old, and slow. They should hang their head in shame. They failed to do their job.

I am not confident in the coaching abilities of Tomlin, either. This game was TOTAL FAILURE. The Steelers have played to the level of competition all season long. In this game, they looked like the Bengals, Browns, and Broncos all wrapped into one. I blame that on lack of preparation by the coaching staff. It was as though they expected to just show up and watch the Broncos fold. Well, no one fears this team any longer. This emperor has no clothes.

Hope these guys enjoy their golf time and watch other, better prepared, and HUNGRY teams through the rest of the playoffs.

Quasar
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Boy, you guys weren't around in 1989, were you? Our first 2 games: Cleveland comes into Three Rivers Stadium and beats the Steelers, 51-0! Game 2: Steelers travel to Cincinnati and lose 41-10 to the Bengals!

Later that season, the Steelers got swept by the Houston Oilers. But guess what? The Steelers made the playoffs with a 9-7 record, and beat the Oilers in Houston.

I'd say game 1 of the 1989 season vs. Cleveland is the most embarrassing loss in team history!

pete74
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
im really not that upset. we looked horrible the last few weeks so i knew we wernt going to get past the Pats or Ravens so im not to bummed about this loss. also we need a NT as does Denver in the draft and it will be nice drafting before them

FanSince72
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM

That's pretty much how I see it too.

Even my neighbor Frank (the noted Pittsburgh transplant and walking Steeler history book) said that he didn't see much happening for us even if we beat Denver and I agreed.

Heading into the post-season, we had an injury list big enough to qualify as a separate team and then Hampton goes, then Keisel ends up in sweats... I mean, come on; how much of a chance did we REALLY have of winning a SB?

That's the way it goes sometimes - like when we lost in the playoffs to the Raiders back in the day because both Franco AND Blier got the flu. Shit happens!

As far as the most embarrassing loss goes, I'd hardly consider yesterday as being in that category.
For me, the most embarrassing losses were the Jacksonville loss in '07 and the one that hurt me the most -- the loss to San Diego in '94.

But I didn't throw myself off a bridge then and I certainly have no intention of doing that now and life will go on and I'll just have to wait 'til next year.

SoCalFan
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Alot of you are missing the point of this thread! It has been mentioned time and time again about knowing we would not have gone far in the playoffs. That is also how I feel, BUT, to lose this way, to Tebow and the Broncos when we went in as double digit favorites! Ughhh EMBARRASING!

Lord of Lombardi
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM

I am starting to agree with you on this. Until Tomlin shows some real football knowledge outside of his thesaurus I think I will side with his ability to continue his mis guided, mis management of the clock. Too many games this year where he didn't have a clue and as it turns out, much needed points. The first true sign a coach doesn't have it is during crunch time.

We don't care about style points. Yeah, No She-it.

Haven't had a decent DB for decades. Need a LT and a kidney since I lost mine laughing at Starks getting bulldozed over so much.

Did Zig Zag play last night? When did Heyward get put on the practice squad? Didn't see him in the game either.

ceebee
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
first loss to b-more was far worse as far as the score is concerned but this was a total embarrassment considering the competition ( or lack thereof )

bornaSteelersfan
01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I really don't think it is the most embarrassing loss. I will say it is one of the most heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, hermit-creating losses as a Steeler fan. The media is already riding "Tebowmania" again and I am disgusted. I didn't even want to be at work today because everyone was talking about it. I hate it worse than the Super Bowl loss last year. It is right up there with the AFCC loss in '94 to the Chargers. (In my nightmares, I still see Tatupu using the football as a prop like he was opening a coconut and drinking it.) I believe the loss to The Ravens to open the season was far more embarrassing.

tony hipchest
01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Did Zig Zag play last night? When did Heyward get put on the practice squad? Didn't see him in the game either.you better not say that too loud or all the OSU homers who cyber-suck off any player from THE O will point out how he was "beasting" on every single play and what a fool you are to not acknowledge it.

to be honest he did cause the only fumble and TO of the game which gave us a coinflips chance of winning it in OT.

i also saw eazy-e frozen 2 yards away from a sack on tebow, completely frozen, and not attacking. good thing was he didnt get juked out of his jock for a gain.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Did anyone really expect us to beat the Patriots AND Baltimore with all of our injuries? Even if by some miracle we did get past them, we'd either face GB or NO in the SB. Two teams that in my opinion are better than any of the playoff teams in the AFC.

This shit wasn't heartbreaking at all. Heartbreaking was losing in the SB last year. I was almost laughing after Ike Taylor got burnt for the 5th time on Sunday while Dick LeBeau refused to give him safety help over the top.

4xSBChamps
01-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Did anyone really expect us to beat the Patriots AND Baltimore with all of our injuries?

if anybody did, they should seek help... IMMEDIATELY!!!

TRH
01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Did anyone really expect us to beat the Patriots AND Baltimore with all of our injuries? Even if by some miracle we did get past them, we'd either face GB or NO in the SB. Two teams that in my opinion are better than any of the playoff teams in the AFC.

This shit wasn't heartbreaking at all. Heartbreaking was losing in the SB last year. I was almost laughing after Ike Taylor got burnt for the 5th time on Sunday while Dick LeBeau refused to give him safety help over the top.

well said. Brady was just licking his chops waiting to pass all over us and knowing that he wouldn't even get touched, let alone sacked. Its a blessing we were knocked out early. At least no one could get another major injury in a followup game.

SoCalFan
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Heartbreaking, a bit! Embarrassing, for sure. I even wrote it in CAPS!

Lord of Lombardi
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
This was a big upset but hardly the most embarrassing loss I've ever seen, and I'm only 26. I can think of a couple losses during 09 that were against more inferior opponents.

Sure this one hurts, denarius Thomas averaging 50 plus yards a catch
Tebow only completing 10 passes but eclipsing 300 yards

The offense starting slow, Wallace cursing at the Denver fans after his td run
Ike Taylor's worst game since 2006

But it happens, Denver showed up and played a hell of a game, kudos to the

I'm interested in the people saying Tomlin did a poor job coaching
What specifically do you all think he did "bad"?

Look we are all ticked off that this suck arse team beat us but don't embarrass your post with that question. Because this entire board should be jumpint all over this one. What did Tomlin do "Bad?" Since you ask:

How about clock management towards the end of the game? Right after Emmanual Sanders caught the ball at the 40. We take a time out and at that point, Tomlin should be reminding his key players of the game situation and any sack should be followed by a time out (Immediately) Hell, even Tomlin could have called a timeout there. Instead, he chose to let time run off before taking a time out with .18 seconds left. A good 7-10 seconds ran of fthe clock. Time that would allow us to still keep every play available to us, even a 20 yard pass gives us enough time to get down to the line of scrimmage and stop the clock. .18 seconds does not do that. I was in shock! At that moment after yelling to take a time out, I said these retards are taking this to O/T and we all now how that worked out. Denver even sacked us on the hail mary attempt. They OUT COACHED US ALL DAY LONG.

Just think of all the wide open passes that TEBLOW missed!! If he was half a QB like Brady will be this Sunday it would have been a massacre.

And then before the start of O/T, what about the head coach taking his coaches and Defense aside and reminding them that a FG does not beat us. Under no circumstances should any defender get so out of position, that even Kyle Boller could have hit that wide open WR. Especially Mundy who was a replacement. I don't care if Lebeau dropped the ball, If I am the head coach, I have enough time to get to my Defense, especially when we lost the toss.

Mismanagement of clock 4 other times this season. We are an above average team that plays down to our competition. Now I know why Tomlin doesn't count "Style Points" He hasn't seen any. I'm about ready for this clown to leave. Brings nothing but a smooth talking good haircut to the game.

Sixburgher
01-10-2012, 12:05 PM
We are an above average team that plays down to our competition. Now I know why Tomlin doesn't count "Style Points" He hasn't seen any. I'm about ready for this clown to leave. Brings nothing but a smooth talking good haircut to the game.

That annoying trait started before Tomlin's tenure began. And if you think the Rooneys are going to shitcan a head coach who has never had a losing season, has brought home another Lombardi and two Super Bowl appearances, and 3 division championships in five seasons, you're going to be waiting a while. I just thank God the Rooneys run the show as opposed to people like yourself and the idiot earlier in this thread calling for his head if we don't make the Super Bowl next season, otherwise this team would become the Daniel Snyder Redskins in no time flat.

Lord of Lombardi
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
That annoying trait started before Tomlin's tenure began. And if you think the Rooneys are going to shitcan a head coach who has never had a losing season, has brought home another Lombardi and two Super Bowl appearances, and 3 division championships in five seasons, you're going to be waiting a while. I just thank God the Rooneys run the show as opposed to people like yourself and the idiot earlier in this thread calling for his head if we don't make the Super Bowl next season, otherwise this team would become the Daniel Snyder Redskins in no time flat.

I know the Rooneys won't shitcan Tomlin this quick. And I don't agree with the idiot thinking no supberbowl next year, no Tomlin. I was asked what Tomlin screwed up during the game and I provided more than enough detail. (See Sunday's game as confirmation) Saying that I was growing tired of the coach/clown and his style point, redundant rants is MY opinion. I don't base my thoughts or opinion on history regarless of ownership. If you do, I feel sorry for you and your inability to have your own pair. Does she shake it for you too?

StainlessStill
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Say the Rooney's left Tomlin go. There will be 4 handfuls of teams that would consider firing THEIR head coach to just have a shot at Tomlin. Coach T is as solid as they come in the NFL. I like his style, always have, always will. Better get use to Coach Tomlin being here probably for atleast another 10 seasons. That's simply how the Rooney's do business and I'm willing to bet we win atleast 2 more Super Bowls with Tomlin as our head coach.

caplovestroyp43
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Wasn't that Bernie No Stars first game against us the 51-0 fiasko? Lord, that one ranks high up there too!! OUCH!!

caplovestroyp43
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
You can't shitcan a coach when half the first string players are freakin' hurt! He worked with what he had. What more do you want from the man his blood? Man!