PDA

View Full Version : Fire Lebeau too

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Lebeau seriously shit thr bed in this one. You let the worst qb in the NFL throw for 3 TD's and you deserve to lose your job. The Broncos couldn't score on Paris Hilton these past 3 weeks and we make their offense look like the saints.

People have figured out lebeau, he's an old dog who can't learn new tricks, it took him 10 years to figure Brady out, and he makes Tebow look like john elway, its time for him to hang it up, we have been king of blowing leads since our sb vs Arizona

plenewken
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I think it's time for him to retire, and I hope it's also the last game Arians coached.
This team has no personality, no foundation anymore. We need to go back to our roots. Redman runs for more than 100yds today and we're pass happy with a QB who's crippled and when he's not crippled, he's not a great passer. WTF???

BKAnthem
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I just wonder why there was no spy on Tebow...Assign Timmons to him or something...

theplatypus
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Lebeau didn't cause Troy to gamble and lose on that bomb to the te and he didn't cause Taylor to commit 3 stupid penalties and be out of position 2-3 times either.

casteeler
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I have a feeling that some people on the forum will still stand behind our CBs even after they made Tebow look like Tom Brady and that's called being a "Homer"

Walt
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I think it's time for him to retire, and I hope it's also the last game Arians coached.
This team has no personality, no foundation anymore. We need to go back to our roots. Redman runs for more than 100yds today and we're pass happy with a QB who's crippled and when he's not crippled, he's not a great passer. WTF???

Yeah... I love Lebeau and everything he's done for this franchise, but seriously... the defense looked confused and out of place consistently today.

I could see them giving up 29 points and 300+ yards to Brady or Aaron Rogers... but not Tim Freakin' Tebow. The Broncos offense struggled to do anything the last month of the season. They struggled to score points - at home - against Kansas City in a must win game. They are just NOT THAT GOOD. Yet today, they looked 10 times more prepared for the Steelers defense than the Steelers defense appeared to be prepared for them.

Again, I'm not typically an "off with their heads" guy, but this was a defensive melt down against a weak offense in a game that matters. The melt down against the Ravens at home when they let the Ravens drive 90 yards to win the game... the fact that he didn't adjust in San Francisco when it was obvious the 49ers had no
intention of throwing the ball more than 15 yards down field.... It's obvious someone on that coaching staff is not getting the job done. Regardless of the personnel...

Walt
01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
And make no mistake... I am just as upset with the players, like Ike who played his worst game of the 2011 season today.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah this was a sad, stubborn effort from Lebeau today.

Ricco Suavez
I blame the defense as much as any one but LeBeau gets some slack because he has built up cred over the years. We were Number one it just looks like with the injuries and all it caught us a the worst time. They played the worst game I have seen them play since 2009. I think we need a new offensive mind, Arians has run his course. If Ben does not like it then the Rooneys can tell him there are other teams. Either get on board or get off.

plenewken
Lebeau didn't cause Troy to gamble and lose on that bomb to the te and he didn't cause Taylor to commit 3 stupid penalties and be out of position 2-3 times either.

I agree but where was the pressure on Tebow? Never saw it. If we can't get to him, he's gonna take us apart.
I'm more p*ssed at Arians though. When we score only 6 pts in the first half when we had 6 possessions, there's definitely something wrong with the play calling. Redman has >100 yds and we throw the ball 41 times??? That's insane!

truesteelerfan
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I just wonder why there was no spy on Tebow...Assign Timmons to him or something...

Did they not watch the KC game like you and I obviously did? Keep pressure coverage and a watchdog on Tebow and he can't do anything....

mesaSteeler
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I agree. It' s time to replace both coordinators.

madtowndrunkard
01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Lebeau's boss is Tomlin. We had the #1 defense in the NFL. Fire Tomlin...... yes seriously fire Tomlin.

I haven't see us lose a game like that in my life. Not in the playoffs. Ben should not have been in that game. Period.

Eztarget
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
It's time to fire him and find a replacement for Harrison. Harrison is old, slow, bum back and constantly taking stupid penalties.

rocckbottomxmen
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah... I love Lebeau and everything he's done for this franchise, but seriously... the defense looked confused and out of place consistently today.

I could see them giving up 29 points and 300+ yards to Brady or Aaron Rogers... but not Tim Freakin' Tebow. The Broncos offense struggled to do anything the last month of the season. They struggled to score points - at home - against Kansas City in a must win game. They are just NOT THAT GOOD. Yet today, they looked 10 times more prepared for the Steelers defense than the Steelers defense appeared to be prepared for them.

Again, I'm not typically an "off with their heads" guy, but this was a defensive melt down against a weak offense in a game that matters. The melt down against the Ravens at home when they let the Ravens drive 90 yards to win the game... the fact that he didn't adjust in San Francisco when it was obvious the 49ers had no
intention of throwing the ball more than 15 yards down field.... It's obvious someone on that coaching staff is not getting the job done. Regardless of the personnel...

I couldn't agree more. this has been the our problem all yr. Its time for Tomlin to clean house with his coordinators..Only problem is its not his choice......

lipps83
01-08-2012, 08:54 PM
I love Lebeau too but I agree that it is time to go.

There is no aggression on this defense and no character. They are just out there doing their job. It doesn't seem like anyone, Troy even, is trying to make a play.

And the OP brought up a good point, it took 10 years for Dick to figure out Brady. We run the same schemes week in, week out and only send a good blitz it seems once or twice a game. We try to create pressure by running the same 3 or 4 guys in and drop everyone else into coverage and we still can't stop a semi decent QB.

rocckbottomxmen
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Lebeau has been living off of his legendary name the last few seasons...when he stop blitzing on a regular he lost his edge.

I can remember him being interviewed one time and was asked when is the best time to run a blitz.
His response was "right after the last one" when he stopped coaching that way he lost it.. he knows only one way to run a defense and he changed it

rocckbottomxmen
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
his defensive playbook contains over 300 different defense....can you believe that

stb_steeler
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
One can only wonder if the Rooney's would fire an hire all new coach's next year and the Steelers fall into an 80's funk, i wonder what youinz would blame then.:noidea:

rocckbottomxmen
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
If they want to win more championships with all this talent they are paying for then they better

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
We might allow the fewest yards, but i can't remember the last time I was confident in the defense to close out a game, it always seems like we give up the big plays when we need a stop. If our guys are confused out there because the scheme is overly complicated, then thats also the d-coordinator's fault. I'm also sick of seeing first to third round draft picks that have to wait forever to learn thr system. Especially round 1 picks should be the type of players that can suit up in the rookie season and deliver

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
We might allow the fewest yards, but i can't remember the last time I was confident in the defense to close out a game, it always seems like we give up the big plays when we need a stop. If our guys are confused out there because the scheme is overly complicated, then thats also the d-coordinator's fault. I'm also sick of seeing first to third round draft picks that have to wait forever to learn thr system. Especially round 1 picks should be the type of players that can suit up in the rookie season and deliver

Now I agree completely with this assessment.

Walt
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Keep this in mind. We had the #1 ranked defense statistically but we played:

2 games against the Browns
1 game against the Colts
1 game against the Rams
1 game againts Jacksonville
1 game against Kansas City with Tyler Palko at QB
1 game against Seattle
1 game against Arizona
1 game againts the Titans

That isn't exactly a murders row of offensive juggernauts. Notice the Ravens' and Bengals' defenses were also highly ranked? They played those same teams.

The bottom line, going back to the Super Bowl... this defense has not been able to come up big in big games. Except for the New England game this year, name one quality offensive team the Steelers have slowed down in the past two years?

SteeleReign
01-08-2012, 09:33 PM

1 game against the Colts
1 game against the Rams
1 game against Seattle
1 game against Arizona

That isn't exactly a murders row of offensive juggernauts. Notice the Ravens' and Bengals' defenses were also highly ranked? They played those same teams.

The bottom line, going back to the Super Bowl... this defense has not been able to come up big in big games. Except for the New England game this year, name one quality offensive team the Steelers have slowed down in the past two years?

This is true. I think the defense has been an issue for a couple of years. Sure, they rank well statistically, but those stats are padded against inferior teams and QBs. The best QBs (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning) eat their lunch.

Fire Arians (I think) made a good point. As much as I love LeBeau, maybe it's time to install a new less-complicated defense that allows the young kids the chance to come in and fight for a spot. They definitely need some young blood out there next year.

Walt
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say he should be fired, but Tomlin must put his foot down. The days of playing 12 yards off the receivers and keeping everything in front of you must be gone.

The biggest issue with this defense this year and especially today... they couldn't make big plays. Did we have any interception returns for TD? Did we have any game changing turnovers? When was the last time we had a sack in a key moment of the game?

Again... Flacco drove 92 yards to win the game. Alex Smith looked like Joe Montana. Tebow looked like Steve Young.

We couldn't come up with timely sacks or turnovers to change the game. Remember the run we had in 2008. Look at the big turnovers and sacks that turned the tide of several games. A truly "good" defense creates turnovers and big plays.

FightFan27
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

1 game against the Colts
1 game against the Rams
1 game against Seattle
1 game against Arizona

and how many of these games did they almost blow

SteeleReign
01-08-2012, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say he should be fired, but Tomlin must put his foot down. The days of playing 12 yards off the receivers and keeping everything in front of you must be gone.

The biggest issue with this defense this year and especially today... they couldn't make big plays. Did we have any interception returns for TD? Did we have any game changing turnovers? When was the last time we had a sack in a key moment of the game?

Again... Flacco drove 92 yards to win the game. Alex Smith looked like Joe Montana. Tebow looked like Steve Young.

We couldn't come up with timely sacks or turnovers to change the game. Remember the run we had in 2008. Look at the big turnovers and sacks that turned the tide of several games. A truly "good" defense creates turnovers and big plays.

Actually, the biggest issue is a lack of pressure on the QB. A QB under pressure will make mistakes, leading to the "big play" turnovers you speak of. Steelers defenses have always been built on a strong pass rush, even against teams with good offensive lines. This team just didn't have the pass rush that was needed...for whatever reason. :noidea:

Bayz101
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Last time I checked, Lebeau wasn't out their on the field! You can all a game to perfection, but your players need to play!

FightFan27
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
]

Actually, the biggest issue is a lack of pressure on the QB. A QB under pressure will make mistakes, leading to the "big play" turnovers you speak of. Steelers defenses have always been built on a strong pass rush, even against teams with good offensive lines. This team just didn't have the pass rush that was needed...for whatever reason. :noidea:

Thats because everybody has caught up with Lebeau and his "exotic" blitzes . It was a good run for Lebeau but its time to go

jiminpa
01-08-2012, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say he should be fired, but Tomlin must put his foot down.Are you sure that's not what's wrong with the defense now?

steelcity1974
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM

He kinda did.

steelcity1974
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
]

Thats because everybody has caught up with Lebeau and his "exotic" blitzes . It was a good run for Lebeau but its time to go

Not very exotic when they play patty cakeswithbte O linemen. Lebeu..must go.

ricardisimo
01-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Looked to me like Timmons was assigned to exactly that, and he kept biting on stupid fakes. Embarrassing to watch. Not his best game of the year, to say the least.

Anyone who thinks the Steelers, of all teams, are going to fire their HoF DC, who just produced his fifth or sixth #1 overall defense, is freaking crazy. There are plenty of teams around the league that will be much more to your liking.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
*sigh* Don't blame LeBeau, people react like this every time we lose a game. Lebeau had next to nothing to do with today, it was all execution. People were biting on fakes and getting burned in coverage on every play, that's player mistakes not coaching mistakes.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Are you kinding me, fire LeBeau? The gameplan was great, it was set up perfectly, Ike Taylor got burnt all day and made penalties on the plays he didn't get burnt on, not a single pass rusher got to Tebow much like they didn't get to anybody this year, and we were injured, that's what lost the game. The plan was perfect, make a horrible passer pass and contain him in the pocket while our supposed shut down corner shuts down there best guy and Polamalu roams the field, sounds like an excellent plan to me!!! The players just didn't execute, and the offense left them on the field until the 4th quarter. If Tomlin won't get rid of Arians then you have to question Tomlin still being here, and Taylor is pretty suspicious right now, but LeBeau is not to blame for this. He had a bad game vs Baltimore the second time around, and our players didn't execute in a lot of circumstances, other than that he's had a good plan all year, just ask Tom Brady! The Patriots know what LeBeau can do if his players execute, take it easy, Arians is the only one we need to get rid of in the coaching staff.

RavenManiac
01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
2 of those stupid penalties on Taylor were utter BS (though that is par for the course in the NFL these days). The Troy gamble I don't know who is to blame, but it was a good call by Denver, and Troy has made a crapton of huge plays by taking some calculated risks like that.

You guys had half your defensive starters off the field due to injury.

All that said, I think the main problem was that the defensive gameplan was geared towards a Denver team with a very suspect passing QB. But Tebow played orders of magnitude better than anyone could expect or should gameplan for.
If LeBeau was facing this same team except with Rodgers, even Rivers, etc at QB he clearly has a different gameplan. On film Tebow can't hit the broadside of a barn on 3 out of 4 throws, therefore you feel safer leaving guys on islands (to stuff the run or get a pass rush). But Tebow was hitting guys in stride, and on some of the plays the coverage wasn't all that bad.

I seriously think this was a 'perfect storm' of factors. And even then you guys almost won.

I don't think the sky is close to falling, even if it sucks azz to lose a game like that.

As for OC's, from what I have seen, Arians is a liability. Much like Cam Cameron he seems too clever by half. The game isn't as complicated as they both seem to believe it is. It can lead to sluggish offensive performances that are a result of your own team failing to execute the overly-cute nonsense being called and have nothing to do with the opponent (Ravens had a few games like that this year).

ricardisimo
01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
2 of those stupid penalties on Taylor were utter BS (though that is par for the course in the NFL these days). The Troy gamble I don't know who is to blame, but it was a good call by Denver, and Troy has made a crapton of huge plays by taking some calculated risks like that.

You guys had half your defensive starters off the field due to injury.

All that said, I think the main problem was that the defensive gameplan was geared towards a Denver team with a very suspect QB. But Tebow played orders of magnitude better than anyone could expect or should gameplan for.
If LeBeau was facing this same team except with Rodgers, even Rivers, etc at QB he clearly has a different gameplan. On film Tebow can't hit the broadside of a barn on 3 out of 4 throws, therefore you feel safer leaving guys on islands (to stuff the run or get a pass rush). But Tebow was hitting guys in stride, and on some of the plays the coverage wasn't all that bad.

I seriously think this was a 'perfect storm' of factors. And even then you guys almost won.

I don't think the sky is close to falling, even if it sucks azz to lose a game like that.

That said, from what I have seen, Arians is a liability. Much like Cam Cameron he seems too clever by half. The game isn't as complicated as they both seem to believe it is. It can lead to sluggish offensive performances that are a result of your own team and have nothing to do with the opponent (Ravens had a few games like that this year).
You forgot that Jesus hates the demonic Steelers. :noidea:

Cameron is stubborn and can be bad, but he can occasionally see the light, and he's put together successive strong performances more than a few times. I can't remember the last time Arians had two straight good games.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't want to expend energy right now with a long response. For saying to fire Dick Lebeau, you are an idiot, plain and simple .

jiminpa
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
*sigh* Don't blame LeBeau, people react like this every time we lose a game. Lebeau had next to nothing to do with today, it was all execution. People were biting on fakes and getting burned in coverage on every play, that's player mistakes not coaching mistakes.The Denver OC took, BA, BR and Coach Cliche to school, but they were too busy congratulating themselves on another adequate year to learn. The defense had to account for every play in the Denver playbook every snap. The plays built off of the previous ones. Break a run, and then throw off of the same playaction. Of course the corners bite on the fake.

SteeleReign
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
I get those that defend LeBeau, and protect him from the blame. I love LeBeau & don't want him to be fired. However, LeBeau, Tomlin, BA, the players, and the rest of the organization takes the blame for this loss.

I agree that LeBeau is not to blame. Nor are the players. Or Tomlin...alone. They ALL are.

Honestly, I feel like the passion in this team is missing. They seem to have become a quiet, unassuming, calculating reflection of their coach. I've always said that a team is a reflection of it's coach. The Steelers have become Tomlin. Passion-less. Boring. Mistake-prone in the clutch.

Again, I don't want Tomlin fired, but he needs to come to camp with a renewed vigor. He needs to set the tone with veterans and put everyone's job on the table. Nobody is guaranteed a position & make them all work their asses off to earn a spot next year.

CaliStillersFan
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Number 1 defense all year, not Lebeau's fault for players not executing. Anyone crying for him to be fired should be forced to give up their membership in Steeler Nation and be forced to suffer as a Browns fan for 1 year. ;)

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM
LeBeau's not going to be fired. He'll retire on his own time. I doubt he'll go out this year. Our defensive philosophy isn't going to change anytime soon by the way. Keith Butler will without a doubt be his successor.

SteeleReign
01-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Number 1 defense all year, not Lebeau's fault for players not executing. Anyone crying for him to be fired should be forced to give up their membership in Steeler Nation and be forced to suffer as a Browns fan for 1 year. ;)

Although, I'm not one that wants LeBeau fired, the fact that our defense was #1 was grossly over-rated. Soft schedule down the stretch. Mediocre, at best, oppposing QBs.

This was not one of the Steelers' better defenses in the past few years, whether or not they were ranked #1.

That being said, our defense has been built with an old-school philosophy - stop the run. With GODells new offensive NFL, maybe it's time we draft CBs that are shut-down man-up type players? The game has changed (for the worse in my mind) toward a chuck-it-all-over-the-field-50-times game....maybe it's time we adjust?

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM

You don't let the worst qb in the league, and an offense that couldn't score in 20+ drives (against much worse defenses) literally light up the scoreboard against your defense. If I ****ed up this bad at my job, i'd be fired on the spot.

SteeleReign
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
You don't let the worst qb in the league, and an offense that couldn't score in 20+ drives (against much worse defenses) literally light up the scoreboard against your defense. If I ****ed up this bad at my job, i'd be fired on the spot.

I think LeBeau would be the first one to take ownership of this defense's shortcomings. The question is: what is done to fix them? He'll surely be gone next year if they continue to regress...of his own accord.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I think LeBeau would be the first one to take ownership of this defense's shortcomings. The question is: what is done to fix them? He'll surely be gone next year if they continue to regress...of his own accord.

The plan was good, the players got beat, plain and simple. Ike Taylor was bad enough for some people to think he was throwing the game. It's not on LeBeau

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 11:47 PM
The plan was good, the players got beat, plain and simple. Ike Taylor was bad enough for some people to think he was throwing the game. It's not on LeBeau

Good point actually. I guess nobody could foresee ike getting abused by a no name wr.

zsheik22
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Game plan was fine. Make Tebow throw the ball.

The DB's couldnt cover the WR's was the problem. The Scheme is exactly what you expect and needed to do. Poor execution.

CaliStillersFan
01-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Yes forget every thing that LeBeau has done for this organization over the years because of 1 bad game. The scheme was right, it was Ike Taylor that couldn't cover an average D Thomas. Place the blame where it belongs - on Ike. Coaches don't need to be fired, the highly paid players that don't step up when they need to should, but since Ike was solid all year, I'll give him one bad game. Sure it came at a bad time, but crap happens.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Ike, Arians, and the refs. The usual suspects again, just didnt see Ike getting owned by a no name. Gay got beat twice and the safety play was mediocre, but Ike was the biggest problem. I disagree though on Ike getting a pass as a "bad game". Non Steeler fans that I had watching wih me thought he was paid off, you never make up for atrocious playoff play like that.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 02:59 AM
That's the 4th time I've heard Demaryius Thomas called a "no name" or an "average receiver." You guys need to watch college football a little more. He was a first round pick last season but missed like half the season due to an injury. The guy is very talented but hasn't exactly had a superstar quarterback to work with.

LoneHorseman
01-09-2012, 03:47 AM
I rarely post in here i, but I am of the mind that the team should reevaluate ALL the coaches, including Tomlin. His time management skills are atrocious, his lack of calling a timeout in the first half , where Denver had a first and goal from the nine with 2 min. left and got stuffed on the first down play, obvious timeout to stop the clock to let Ben and the offence have a legit shot at scoring before half, when they get the ball back, but Tomlin lets the clock count down??? Compare that to Fox's timeout call at 23 secs left right before the first half ended when his team stopped our offense on third down and didn't let us run down the clock to call our final timeout to try a 4th down Hail Mary and was praised for that smart call by Phil Simms. Tomlin would've never thought of that. All season, his game management with timeouts and suspect challenges have been head scratchers.

As for Lebeau, I still have nightmares about him trying one of his semi exotic blitzes on Flacco with 20 or so secs left in the game when the Rat Birds were on our 22 or so yard line and left our all pro DB Gay isolated with their speedy receiver. For FU@#n crying out loud Lebeau, make Flacco earn the last 22 yards or so by only rushing three guys and drop back into max coverage, FREAKIN 22 secs left in the game. Rat Birds only had 1 timeout left, max amount of plays they were going to get off in those circumstances was probably 3 plays to score a td if they were lucky. Just an absolute shit decision by Lebeau calling a delayed blitz with 5 guys, and Polumalu unfortunately decides to give safety help to the wromg man.

And don't get me even started on Arians!!!!

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 04:25 AM
That's the 4th time I've heard Demaryius Thomas called a "no name" or an "average receiver." You guys need to watch college football a little more. He was a first round pick last season but missed like half the season due to an injury. The guy is very talented but hasn't exactly had a superstar quarterback to work with.

I think a lot of people forget he was the first receiver taken in the 2010 draft, not to mention the Broncos took him before they even took Tim Tebow.

If Eric Decker or Eddie Royal had done this to Ike Taylor, criticism might be more justified. Not really trying to defend Ike because he played the worst game I've seen a Steelers CB play in a long time, but the people acting like some special teams scrub did this to him need to get their facts straight.

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 04:30 AM
If and when Lebeau moves on (not saying he should or shouldn't), do we pass the torch to Keith Butler or do we start all over again with a coordinator from outside the organization?

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 04:36 AM
If and when Lebeau moves on (not saying he should or shouldn't), do we pass the torch to Keith Butler or do we start all over again with a coordinator from outside the organization?
What do you think? Have you been paying any attention to how the Steelers do things?

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
What do you think? Have you been paying any attention to how the Steelers do things?

Been paying attention for years. Doesn't mean that the Steelers won't change up what they do. What Cowher and Noll did in the past, doesn't indicate what Tomlin will do in the future. For instance, who would've ever thought the Steelers would be a pass first offense under Tomlin, after years of ground-n-pound with the previous coaches.Things change. I'm just trying to get an idea from all those who think that Lebeau should go, who they think should replace him. Don't just say it's time for him to go and not offer some type of solution.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 06:40 AM
I rarely post in here i, but I am of the mind that the team should reevaluate ALL the coaches, including Tomlin. His time management skills are atrocious, his lack of calling a timeout in the first half , where Denver had a first and goal from the nine with 2 min. left and got stuffed on the first down play, obvious timeout to stop the clock to let Ben and the offence have a legit shot at scoring before half, when they get the ball back, but Tomlin lets the clock count down??? Compare that to Fox's timeout call at 23 secs left right before the first half ended when his team stopped our offense on third down and didn't let us run down the clock to call our final timeout to try a 4th down Hail Mary and was praised for that smart call by Phil Simms. Tomlin would've never thought of that. All season, his game management with timeouts and suspect challenges have been head scratchers.

As for Lebeau, I still have nightmares about him trying one of his semi exotic blitzes on Flacco with 20 or so secs left in the game when the Rat Birds were on our 22 or so yard line and left our all pro DB Gay isolated with their speedy receiver. For FU@#n crying out loud Lebeau, make Flacco earn the last 22 yards or so by only rushing three guys and drop back into max coverage, FREAKIN 22 secs left in the game. Rat Birds only had 1 timeout left, max amount of plays they were going to get off in those circumstances was probably 3 plays to score a td if they were lucky. Just an absolute shit decision by Lebeau calling a delayed blitz with 5 guys, and Polumalu unfortunately decides to give safety help to the wromg man.

And don't get me even started on Arians!!!!

Excellent post. I completely agree with you. As for Arians, he doesn't even deserve a post. I'll just say the day the Steelers show him the door won't happen soon enough.

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Been paying attention for years. Doesn't mean that the Steelers won't change up what they do. What Cowher and Noll did in the past, doesn't indicate what Tomlin will do in the future. For instance, who would've ever thought the Steelers would be a pass first offense under Tomlin, after years of ground-n-pound with the previous coaches.Things change. I'm just trying to get an idea from all those who think that Lebeau should go, who they think should replace him. Don't just say it's time for him to go and not offer some type of solution.
Well, I didn't say that it's time for him to go, hence I don't need to offer up a solution. In fact, the main gist of my comment is that the Steelers do not fire successful coaches. Hence their success. It's real simple like that.

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Well, I didn't say that it's time for him to go, hence I don't need to offer up a solution. In fact, the main gist of my comment is that the Steelers do not fire successful coaches. Hence their success. It's real simple like that.

My statement was for those that think it's time for him to leave, I want to see if they see something out there that I'm not aware of for life after Lebeau. If it doesn't pertain to you, so be it. I respect your opinion though.

Steeldude
01-09-2012, 08:33 AM
my guess is lebeau will retire. i think he has gotten to the point where he has become complacent.

Steeldude
01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
]

what exotic blitzes? rushing 3 to 4 players isn't what i call exotic. i have been saying it for the last few years now. that being, lebeau runs a passive and complacent defense with bland blitzes

TRH
01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
what exotic blitzes? rushing 3 to 4 players isn't what i call exotic. i have been saying it for the last few years now. that being, lebeau runs a passive and complacent defense with bland blitzes

absolutely true.
I haven't seen anything for a long time now that resembles "exotic" or "confusing". Other teams are on to us now.....thats one of the reasons we never get to the QB anymore.
People think its coincidence that we have star players like Harrison...Woodley...Kiesel...and others........yet, rarely even register a sack anymore?

jiminpa
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
absolutely true.
I haven't seen anything for a long time now that resembles "exotic" or "confusing". Other teams are on to us now.....thats one of the reasons we never get to the QB anymore.
People think its coincidence that we have star players like Harrison...Woodley...Kiesel...and others........yet, rarely even register a sack anymore?
Some of us think it's because Harrison gets held, and often tackled, on every pass rush without even the threat of it getting called.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
absolutely true.

With the personel we have in D, our pressure on the QB is a joke. Not one sack on Tebow! Are we kidding?
Lebeau is done.

As for Arians, don't get me started.

madtowndrunkard
01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
To suggest firing DL is just stupid. Clearly if you consistently rank in the top 3 defenses in the league year after year - you must know what you are doing.

The problem seems to be on rare occasions. The smart thing to do would be to find out why we would lay an egg like we did in Denver? Why are there cracks in the foundation of our defense? How can an epic failure like this occur?

My personal opinion is this: DL is a GREAT DC. Like any coach, he needs assistants, a HC, and players to help our defense succeed. I think most would agree that the personnel is not the problem. I think DL needs a HC that will step in once in a while and get involved. Cowher was involved in our defense. He had influence in what we did on sunday. It was then that our defense seemed to be at it's best....I get the feeling that Tomlin pretty much lets DL do everything when it comes to his defense. If DL has a bad game plan... Tomlin isn't going to say NO...or time to change things up NOW.

I don't see Tomlin doing that. Basically what I'm saying is I think Tomlin needs to change what he's doing...not so much DL. IMO this game plan we had for Denver made sense....but when they burned us deep the first time, that is when I would have changed things quickly....there is no excuse for getting burned deep that many times... we dared them to go deep and they killed us over and over again with it. Why did it take till the 4th quarter for us to change up the play calling?

the other issue is Offense.... it's a heck of a lot easier to defend when you have a lead. We were selling out the run because we were so scared they'd run. Well if we would have put up some points in the first half...maybe we would have respected the deep ball a lot more...and not worried so much about the run?

plenewken
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
the other issue is Offense.... it's a heck of a lot easier to defend when you have a lead. We were selling out the run because we were so scared they'd run. Well if we would have put up some points in the first half...maybe we would have respected the deep ball a lot more...and not worried so much about the run?

:applaudit::applaudit:

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 10:33 AM
To suggest firing DL is just stupid. Clearly if you consistently rank in the top 3 defenses in the league year after year - you must know what you are doing.

The problem seems to be on rare occasions. The smart thing to do would be to find out why we would lay an egg like we did in Denver? Why are there cracks in the foundation of our defense? How can an epic failure like this occur?

My personal opinion is this: DL is a GREAT DC. Like any coach, he needs assistants, a HC, and players to help our defense succeed. I think most would agree that the personnel is not the problem. I think DL needs a HC that will step in once in a while and get involved. Cowher was involved in our defense. He had influence in what we did on sunday. It was then that our defense seemed to be at it's best....I get the feeling that Tomlin pretty much lets DL do everything when it comes to his defense. If DL has a bad game plan... Tomlin isn't going to say NO...or time to change things up NOW.

I don't see Tomlin doing that. Basically what I'm saying is I think Tomlin needs to change what he's doing...not so much DL. IMO this game plan we had for Denver made sense....but when they burned us deep the first time, that is when I would have changed things quickly....there is no excuse for getting burned deep that many times... we dared them to go deep and they killed us over and over again with it. Why did it take till the 4th quarter for us to change up the play calling?

I think the issue is that we've become predictable. Our defense used to be so unpredictable that an opposing QB (especially young & inexperienced) had no idea which way was up. Our defense used to dictate to the opponent what they would do & when the offense changed, our defense would adjust as well. Now, it seems we are forced to adjust our gameplan, but stubbornly stick to what ISN'T working.

Dave C
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I can't understand why Lebeau didn't keep a safety deep. I can buy it going into game, but after Teebow was burning you deep all day, why the hell don't you keep a guy deep in overtime???

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I can't understand why Lebeau didn't keep a safety deep. I can buy it going into game, but after Teebow was burning you deep all day, why the hell don't you keep a guy deep in overtime???

The experts on Sportscenter, etc are showing that Mundy was responsible for that mistake in overtime. He was showing blitz/run support & was supposed to get back to cover the middle of the field, but was late. One can argue that not having Clark in that instance may have cost us the game.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
.... since that 49ers game, Lebeau and our Defense have been sick and tired of being on the field 80% of the time, trying to constantly bail-out Ben and the offense.
And that is all becvuase a lame-brained Tomlin and Ariens wouldn't take our "crippled" QB OFF the field.
Fire LeBeau too ? -I highly doubt it -unless LeBeau himself wants to retire.

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
.... since that 49ers game, Lebeau and our Defense have been sick and tired of being on the field 80% of the time, trying to constantly bail-out Ben and the offense.
And that is all becvuase a lame-brained Tomlin and Ariens wouldn't take our "crippled" QB OFF the field.
Fire LeBeau too ? -I highly doubt it -unless LeBeau himself wants to retire.

I hope Arians is gone & I hope our new OC & Tomlin have the balls to tell Ben that he is not the team. I'm not sure that pulling him off the field against Cleveland would have made any difference yesterday, but it may have.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
and btw, that complete tool, EDIOT, and fire-happy (owner of 'da CryBoys) - Jerry Jones thought the same about old Wade Phillips now didn't he ?.
Well, Wade obviously has the chance to get into the SuperBowl -but NOT J-e-r-r-y. !!! haha ha

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
and btw, that complete tool, EDIOT, and fire-happy (owner of 'da CryBoys) - Jerry Jones thought the same about Wade Phillips now didn't he ?.
Well, Wade obviously has the chance to get into the SuperBowl -but NOT J-e-r-r-y. !!! haha ha

Well, come on....Wade Phillips? He was not head-coach material...sorry. Just watching him on the sidelines was enough to put me to sleep. BUT, I am happy to know that JJ is sitting home watching again. :chuckle:

Gingerchip
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM

I agree with most of what you said except the part about firing LeBeau. The pass happy part is right on. I like Ben, think he is very talented (especially when it comes to getting out of the pocket and confusing the other team), but I agree that he isn't what some people make him out to be. On most forums, he is worshipped. I, for one, can't jump on that bandwagon. I remember when he stated that he wants taller receivers and Hines was taken aback by the remark. Hines said that you don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning complaining about the size of their receivers and I think Hines was spot on in this regard. IMHO, I think we need to draft another qb. I'm NOT saying replace Ben, but we need to develop a good back up for when Ben is hurt. What DID happen to our running game? As far as I can remember, we have always had a decent running game.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I will definitely go as far as to say, LeBeau is old-in-the-tooth enough for 3 Life-times. :)
And, obviously now, there isn't a "good" Defensive co-ord who hasn't studied, analyzed, and re-analyzed our Steelers' "D" structure.
LeBeau has more that acheived quite a bit, not just in the NFL, but MOST ezpecially for our Steelers.
I wouldn't be surprised if He decided to retire soon -I mean why not? -I would aggree.
But before, I jump a gun like "fire" him, I would sooner FIRE -and I do mean with a dishonorable-discharge that un-stable Bruce Ariens in a heartbeat first.
If nuthin' else, then atleast for Ben's sake. Although Ben's "injury-ridden" prime years should also be up for questions too.....

plenewken
01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree with most of what you said except the part about firing LeBeau. The pass happy part is right on. I like Ben, think he is very talented (especially when it comes to getting out of the pocket and confusing the other team), but I agree that he isn't what some people make him out to be. On most forums, he is worshipped. I, for one, can't jump on that bandwagon. I remember when he stated that he wants taller receivers and Hines was taken aback by the remark. Hines said that you don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning complaining about the size of their receivers and I think Hines was spot on in this regard. IMHO, I think we need to draft another qb. I'm NOT saying replace Ben, but we need to develop a good back up for when Ben is hurt. What DID happen to our running game? As far as I can remember, we have always had a decent running game.

I didn't say fire him, I said "it's time for LeBeau to retire". Big difference. Like what Paterno should have done ........... a long time ago, when his coaching abilities were not questioned.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 01:27 PM
okay maybe the fire lebeau came off a little hard, but I think it's time for him to consider retirement and let Butler step up and take charge of the defense.

#1LambertFan
01-09-2012, 09:29 PM
This is true. I think the defense has been an issue for a couple of years. Sure, they rank well statistically, but those stats are padded against inferior teams and QBs. The best QBs (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning) eat their lunch.

Fire Arians (I think) made a good point. As much as I love LeBeau, maybe it's time to install a new less-complicated defense that allows the young kids the chance to come in and fight for a spot. They definitely need some young blood out there next year.

Ziggy, Heyward and one or two our group of young corners will play a lot more next year as well as Worilds, who had a great game against the Broncs. Our complicated system works and stripping it of all of its value is a very very bad idea.

jiminpa
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Ziggy, Heyward and one or two our group of young corners will play a lot more next year as well as Worilds, who had a great game against the Broncs. Our complicated system works and stripping it of all of its value is a very very bad idea.Maybe not get fired or even retire, but it could be interesting if he takes a year off. Let's see how well Tomlin and Brucie can survive on their own wits. How bout it Steelers fans? Would you take one really bad year if it was likely to get us a real HC and OC?

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Maybe not get fired or even retire, but it could be interesting if he takes a year off. Let's see how well Tomlin and Brucie can survive on their own wits. How bout it Steelers fans? Would you take one really bad year if it was likely to get us a real HC and OC?
I don't know where you people get the idea that Tomlin is bad. Once again: look at the results. Three division crowns, two Super Bowl appearances, one win, not a single losing season. Are the Steelers the type of team that fires winning coaches? Do you people even know which team you are rooting for?

bornaSteelersfan
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
It seems a lot of "water boys" are chiming in and trying to say "fire everyone". I wonder if most of them are actually Ravens fans.....Hmmmm :hunch:

BigBen2WardPITT
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
How can you sit here and defend the play calling in the last play of the Broncos game? As a steelers fan, I'm allowed to criticize my team. I live in DC, where Redskins fans are blindly loyal to a team that sucks, so I'd much rather speak my mind about a team that is FAR more successful. The team that I have loved since birth, and still love.

With that out of the way... listen up: we had NO safeties back in coverage in the last play of the game. How does that make any sense when you KNOW that the game will NOT be over if the Broncos just get a field goal? If we had dropped ONE of our safetys back, we likely stop Thomas in field goal range. They probably make a field goal. Then we can come out and do our thing. Maybe even get a touchdown.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. If that was Dick's call, that is just the third strike on what has been a strange season for him. Did anyone see our defense against the 49ers, not adjusting our play calling? Did anyone see freakin Joe Flacco rush down the field in the closing minutes of the game against the Ravens and win?

tony hipchest
01-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Did anyone see our defense against the 49ers, not adjusting our play calling?the only thing that really stands out in my mind from that game is a rookie DE completely owning our ass and our offense only scoring 3 points. :noidea:

sorry. :popcorn:

(more proof that lebeau is held to the standard of pitching a shut out EVERY SINGLE GAME)

steelerjim58
01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Why is it that so many are talking about what a great game tebow had. He only completed 10 passes, less than fifty percent. the first big gainer was after tebow scrambled around forever and Taylor did not get his head around to find the ball. The one downfield to the te looked to be Troy gambling and losing. The td to Royal was Gay not being able to get his head around to find the ball. It just seems that all of the big plays can be traced to poor db play as opposed to poor scheming by Lebeau. That being said I would like to see a more aggressive pass rush.

StainlessStill
01-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Why is it that so many are talking about what a great game tebow had. He only completed 10 passes, less than fifty percent. the first big gainer was after tebow scrambled around forever and Taylor did not get his head around to find the ball. The one downfield to the te looked to be Troy gambling and losing. The td to Royal was Gay not being able to get his head around to find the ball. It just seems that all of the big plays can be traced to poor db play as opposed to poor scheming by Lebeau. That being said I would like to see a more aggressive pass rush.

Yep, 10 pass plays. Tim Tebow, THEE Christ, one of the worst QB's to ever grace a yardline, had a 31.6 yard per average. That's called finding LOOPHOLES in a defense playing our of their scheme. I've said it once and I'll say it again. NOT adjusting doomed us. We have to be one of the most stubborn teams when it comes to in-game adjustments. Sick and tired of it biting us in the ass. The coach's didn't put our players in the best position to win, PERIOD.

Stairway2-7
01-10-2012, 02:44 AM
It really pains me to say this, but I agree. I think hes done his due and he should go down as the greatest D coach EVER. All legends must end right? Im sure the Steelers will do their best to find THE best D coach out there. We NEED to go back to our old roots.

I have alot of hope for the 2012 Steelers.

Lebeau should retire.

FIRE ARIANS

Trade IKE

it pains me to say this too...trade WALLACE!!

The dude has such a ego problem. Dont get me wrong. I LOVE seeing Wallace catch for a 50 yard pass, but the dude cant show up when it counts. If HOLMES was in the position as mike during the packers SB, I believe we would have won. Him and BEN are not on the same page.

TRADE GILBERT

GET HEALTHY

WIN #7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt02::tt03::tt03::tt03: :tt03:

StainlessStill
01-10-2012, 02:48 AM
If HOLMES was in the position as mike during the packers SB, I believe we would have won.

Even though I do agree with you that I see Wallace is the type of kid that would have an attitude problem (seems like a punk) you do know that it was Mike Wallace catching that last touchdown from Ben to bring us within a couple points in Super Bowl XLV, right? Ben and Wallace starting getting out of sync once teams starting quadruple teaming him, hence, the emergence of Antonio Brown. Wallace had guys beat, Ben's ankle problems just couldn't get it there although that 53 yard drop against Denver was HUGE.

bornaSteelersfan
01-10-2012, 03:29 AM
I think you need to check that knee-jerk, Stairway2-7. LeBeau will be here next year. I can't blame him too much when you are patching your linebackers together with second-stringers all season. Not to mention they lost the mainstay of the D-line in that game.

When our offense needed a score at the end of regulation, they couldn't get it. I agree FIRE ARIANS!

Ike had a bad game, yes. However, he is one of the main reasons we even made it to the playoffs.

Wallace's contract is up anyway, so he can't be traded. I think he will get mad-money from another team and be gone.

Marcus Gilbert is a rookie we drafted in the second round, give him a break. If not for injuries he wouldn't even be playing this season. I think he had a very good rookie season.

Injuries definitely hurt us in that game, but we were in it with an opportunity to win it at the end of regulation. One excellent play in the OT lost the game. If you really want to blame someone, blame Tim Tebow for working yet another miracle. :hatsoff: How can you defy God and destiny?! :bowdown: