PDA

View Full Version : The new OT rules

Blackout
01-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Yet another example to me of why the NFL should abandon their sudden death overtime rule and embrace something like the Kansas Plan used at the high school and college levels. Denver wins the OT coin toss and receives the opening kick. Tebow then throws an 80-yard bomb, the Broncos score on the play, and the Steelers aren't even given a chance to answer.

Black N' Yellow
01-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Or don't give up a 80 yard bomb in the first place?

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Either way, old rule we lose, new rule we lose

But I have always felt both teams need to get a possesion just like college.

TRH
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
yeah, i was thinking already, those "new" OT rules did us a helluva lot of good, didn't they?? lol

BleedPurple
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
yeah, i was thinking already, those "new" OT rules did us a helluva lot of good, didn't they?? lol

Believe it or not, the rules are not in place to help the steelers win.

Also, if the steelers win the coin toss this thread never sees a steelers' forum.

Sciz
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Are you saying that a team deserves a chance to win after that? Because that's stupid.

iknowmorethanyou
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Yet another example to me of why the NFL should abandon their sudden death overtime rule and embrace something like the Kansas Plan used at the high school and college levels. Denver wins the OT coin toss and receives the opening kick. Tebow then throws an 80-yard bomb, the Broncos score on the play, and the Steelers aren't even given a chance to answer.

No we were given a full 60 minute regulation game to win the game. Can't do that? Then sudden death it is. Also we were given a chance... who gets the ball first is decided in the fairest way possible.... a coin toss. Even so, they have the ball first, so what... its still fair in that we get 11 men to line up accross from their offense. It's called a defense. They get paid a ton of money because they specialize in stopping the offense. Still fair.

Sorry the sudden death rule made perfect sense and when ever people whine about it drives me crazy. So much that I had to register and post this. The new rule really bothers me.

But like the guy before me said..l just don't give up the 80 yard play on the first place.

iknowmorethanyou
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM

No we were given a full 60 minute regulation game to win the game. Can't do that? Then sudden death it is. Also we were given a chance... who gets the ball first is decided in the fairest way possible.... a coin toss. Even so, they have the ball first, so what... its still fair in that we get 11 men to line up accross from their offense. It's called a defense. They get paid a ton of money because they specialize in stopping the offense. Still fair.

Sorry the sudden death rule made perfect sense and when ever people whine about it drives me crazy. So much that I had to register and post this. The new rule really bothers me.

But like the guy before me said..l just don't give up the 80 yard play on the first place.
Ee

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
I dont think anyone is whining, although Tebow whined every time someone touched him, lol

Just a rule discussion not an outcome discussion.

Well maybe blackout is whining, lol. But we lost, and it never shouldve came to ot we should won easily. We didnt, we sucked.

BUT i like college rules lol

mikegrimey
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I Ike the new ot rules

I think having a team have to score a td to make it sudden death is a good move

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Meh maybe but I hate to agree with the Ravens fan here. No way are we having this conversation if the roles were reversed. We couldn't stop them period.

BleedPurple
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I dont think anyone is whining, although Tebow whined every time someone touched him, lol

Well maybe blackout is whining, lol. But we lost, and it never shouldve came to ot we should won easily. We didnt, we sucked.

Personally, I am for just playing out extra quarters (or maybe ten minutes like the pregame newscaster suggested) until a winner emerges. That's my favorite thing about baseball. When is the game over? When someone wins

iknowmorethanyou
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM

I don't really think you were whining. But I had to chime in on the topic. I used whining more for lack of a better word.

We lost, it sucks.

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Personally, I am for just playing out extra quarters (or maybe ten minutes like the pregame newscaster suggested) until a winner emerges. That's my favorite thing about baseball. When is the game over? When someone wins

I will not agree with you much but I have thought the same thing, at least when it comes to playoffs. Ten minutes should ensure both teams have the ball. With this concept a team could win the flip and defer if they thought their defense was the strongest part of their game.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:08 PM

I like that idea honestly. And yeah baseball's great in that way. I am sure you saw Game Six of the World Series this season. The Cardinals don't win with those exciting comebacks with a sudden death rule.

Eztarget
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
How about you don't bring all 11 guys to the LOS when they need 80 yards to win and your "star" CB can't cover anyone all day?

Jesus I could have made that winning throw.

And Ike getting bitched like that. Perfect example of his whole day's work. Gotta think it would have been a lot different game with Ryan Clark playing.

Blackout
01-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Sudden death works well in sports where scoring is low and possession of the ball or puck changes frequently between the two teams, sports such as soccer or hockey. I don't see it working well for American football, because possession of the football changes hands rather infrequently relative to sports like those I just mentioned.

ZoneBlitzer
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I thought it was unfair. The Steelers should've gotten a chance to respond.

TRH
01-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Believe it or not, the rules are not in place to help the steelers win.

Also, if the steelers win the coin toss this thread never sees a steelers' forum.

Hey **** for brains........i never said the rules were to "help the Steelers win", not even close. I was joking that they didn't do us any good. Go back to your Ravens board. You don't see me over there.....

BleedPurple
01-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey **** for brains........i never said the rules were to "help the Steelers win", not even close. I was joking that they didn't do us any good. Go back to your Ravens board. You don't see me over there.....

Maybe you should grow a pair and post on a forum where people aren't falling over themselves to agree with you, because you both love the same team.

EDIT: I'm not implying anyone agrees with you on this particular topic, just making a general statement.

BleedPurple
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I like that idea honestly. And yeah baseball's great in that way. I am sure you saw Game Six of the World Series this season. The Cardinals don't win with those exciting comebacks with a sudden death rule.

I don't watch a ton of baseball, but that entire series was great, and game six the best of all. Twice the texans were one strike away from taking it home, a real nail biter. I am an Orioles fan too, so I don't get much meaningful baseball after about may--so I appreciate a good world series.

iknowmorethanyou
01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I disagree with just having another quarter or a shortened quarter. They already give you 60 minutes of that if you can't when there then rules change in OT. Cuz then if its a tie game late in the forth, the urgency goes away knowing you can take it into OT and play another quarter.

Although my thoughts are changing on it. Maybe eliminate field goals... Either punt or go for it... Sudden death where on tds count.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I personally agree with the sudden death. I'm glad they changed it so that a FG wouldn't win you the game in OT as well.

What do you guys want? Fair? Fair would be winning in regulation. I would have loved for the Steelers to get a chance to score back, but that's not how it works, and that's now how it ever worked...nor is that the way it should ever work.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't watch a ton of baseball, but that entire series was great, and game six the best of all. Twice the texans were one strike away from taking it home, a real nail biter. I am an Orioles fan too, so I don't get much meaningful baseball after about may--so I appreciate a good world series.

Game Six was an epic. Could easily go down as one if not the best ever. And I feel yeah about being an O's fan since I'm one too. Yeah I know weird huh being an O's fan and Steelers but that's just how things happen when you grow up idolizing Ripken and your grandfather raises you on the Steelers.I am glad they changed the OT rules for football though. Especially for a game like this when 60 yard field goals are possible.

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
The rule is there because driving 40 yards and kicking a cheesy FG to win is stupid. If your team drives the entire length of the field and gets a TD, they deserve to win. If we were to get the ball back like in college, we would have in 4 downs to score a TD because we have to as opposed to their 3 downs.

Steel_Bus_24
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
there is so many things to be pissed about.....this is not one of them

the new OT is fine IMO

The Steelers in the new OT are not

PS-Farrior quit picking tails....have we ever won an overtime toss with him out there making the call...lol

CaliStillersFan
01-08-2012, 11:46 PM
There's new OT rules? Didn't seem much different to me. :blah: Another Goodell failure!!!

jjpro11
01-09-2012, 12:00 AM
there is so many things to be pissed about.....this is not one of them

the new OT is fine IMO

The Steelers in the new OT are not

PS-Farrior quit picking tails....have we ever won an overtime toss with him out there making the call...lol

tails ALWAYS fails.. i cringed the instant he called it.

steelerjim58
01-09-2012, 12:56 AM
I think the game should just continue on its natural course just like baseball does. If the fourth quarter ends in a tie, switch sides and go on from there. One quarter at a time until someone wins.

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Or don't give up a 80 yard bomb in the first place?

This

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 01:09 AM
And I also do think that these rules should be applied to the regular season too.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 01:22 AM
My girlfriend and mom didn't understand the new O.T rules. As soon as I was done explaining it to them, Ike was getting stiff-armed at the 45 yard line and Denver galloped 80 yards for the game winner. I was kind of stunned since I JUST sat back down.

Did anyone hear whistles before the play? I was thinking there was a false start or something and the whistles kind of threw off how I viewed that disgusting ending. Anyone else hear whistles or was I going crazy?

plenewken
01-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I will not agree with you much but I have thought the same thing, at least when it comes to playoffs. Ten minutes should ensure both teams have the ball. With this concept a team could win the flip and defer if they thought their defense was the strongest part of their game.

We had the ball in the last 2mn of regulation to win the game and we didn't. Instead we laid an egg with 1 incompletion, 1 fumble and 2 sacks. Nice!
Sorry but the OT rule has nothing to do with our loss. One play in overtime was enough for them to score a TD. 1 play!

We were far from being SB caliber this year, no ifs, ands or buts.

TRH
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
My girlfriend and mom didn't understand the new O.T rules. As soon as I was done explaining it to them, Ike was getting stiff-armed at the 45 yard line and Denver galloped 80 yards for the game winner. I was kind of stunned since I JUST sat back down.

Did anyone hear whistles before the play? I was thinking there was a false start or something and the whistles kind of threw off how I viewed that disgusting ending. Anyone else hear whistles or was I going crazy?\

I thought there was too. In fact, i thought the play was blown dead and that the defense paused for a second...but then the played continued and looked like our defense all of a sudden started trying to hustle back to the play. So i thought a whistle had blown it too.
But i never heard another word about it, so i thought it was just me.....