Smith
Hampton
Ward
Mendenhal, or trade, never liked him anyway
OLINE, where do we start?
Kemo
Legursky is not a starter, only a back up
Dump Speuvada, cant spent 1mill on a hurt punter
Colon, if he cant stay healthy, thats top online money wasted.
Batch
Gay needs to be replaced

Farrior?

After Harrison gets fined, he may kill Goodell, lol So we will have more salary to spend there, lol

sad part is, coaches will say, we made the playoffs, had #1 def, we need no changes. Just like when we won the SB. No Oline changes.

SwannWorth88
01-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Hampton should be gone.

Farrior should have been gone long ago.

Smith - see ya.

Ward will be gone.

Keisel should be gone, but won't be.

We are way too old to survive a 19 game season on way to a super bowl.

And Pouncey needs to find some balls.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
no way on Keisel. I would disagree there. I just wish the beard would go away. 2 years, it doesnt work, go clean shaven, plus your wife will enjoy it more.
I can only imagine the comaplaints, lol

We should have plenty of cash for additions. But building by the draft is not going to work by itself.

TRH
01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
out of those, Mendenhall and Kemo will be back. Legursky too, but as backup. Also, Gay will be here...he did show many flashes of brilliance this year, and shoot, he's one of our few "rushers" any more these days.

Farrior needs to go.
Ward will be gone.
Sepulveda, such great potential, has to go.
Batch goes.
A. Smith needs to be off the payroll immediately.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
McFadden too, I knew I was forgetting a pile of crap, lol. Thats another 2.5million. We have 30million easy in savings. On players we can replace and sign new ones without missing a step.

TRH
01-08-2012, 08:04 PM
And Pouncey needs to find some balls.

Well, he needs to find something. At this point, and its hard to argue, he's been injury prone (and at very key times nonetheless...) and doesn't look like anythings going to be changing soon.
What a disappointment it will be if he ends up being "career" injury-plagued.

casteeler
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
What a horrible way for Ward to go out

Both CBs need to go
The entire O-line(exept Pouncy)

jjpro11
01-08-2012, 08:06 PM
why the **** would you get rid of Keisel? because he got hurt today? he's been solid for us all season. Hampton's been solid this season too. he's obviously getting old.. but right now all we have is McLendon with Hoke retiring because of a neck injury.

btaylor179
01-08-2012, 08:07 PM
farrior shouldve been gone....hamptons fat and done as well....hines bye bye.....need some damn o linemen

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Keisel still adds value..But Heywood needs on the field...Thought he looked good today!

btaylor179
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
mendy shouldve been gone.....

LastRide
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Will the organization use injuries as excuses ?. Everyone gets a free pass and the glaring problems will be ignored ?. We are going to soon find out what happens. Going by history the Steeles just don't make the moves needed. You will see the same team next year, and weaknesses will be played all over again.

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
why the **** would you get rid of Keisel? because he got hurt today? he's been solid for us all season. Hampton's been solid this season too. he's obviously getting old.. but right now all we have is McLendon with Hoke retiring because of a neck injury.

Hampton makes way to much...His pay is 4x more than anyone else ( NT ) and the production is basically the same.

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Hire an OC who's willing to take charge and keep Ben under control. His wanting to go for the home run on every first and ten is very predictable and needs to stop. the offense was much more impressive under whiz when we went after yards in chunks rather than the home run ball every 5 passes. The problem is Arians and Ben are too buddy buddy and that's not the type of relationship a coach and player should have. We need an oc who is willing to be the boss

Steel95
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree with most of what everyone has said; yes, this was the O/C fault. Why in the world did he stop running the football? In regulation, after the last 1st Down, they should have ran Redman! They could have picked up enough yards to kick a field goal. Another thing; that WR Screen? How many times is Arians going to call that junk? He is starting to get too predictable, lousy game plan. These guys were listening too much to the critics all week about Tim Tebow and his ineffectiveness to throw the Football. Hmm! That last play will stick in their minds the entire off-season I bet. Yes, the following players need to be replaced in the starting lineup:

James Farrior - Father time has caught up with him; the guys really looks slow N old out there. He can't cover the middle, can't keep up with the RB/TE's any longer.

Casey Hampton - Too old, too slow, still has a little left, but not nearly enough to last a 16 game schedule anymore. Draft a NT or ILB with the first pick.

Hines Ward - One of my favorite Steeler Players of all time; and that's saying quite a bit considering I've been following these guys for 37 years. But his time has come.

Aaron Smith - Placed on IR three out of the past four years, do I need to say more?

Larry Foote - A serviceable backup, the guy isn't a starter though.

Mendenhall - I would trade or release him, lets go back to some Old Steeler style football; did you see Redman tonight? Pound the football!!!

D. Lebeau - I still think he has it; but if he's too enamored with his current players to see and understand it's time to move on, then maybe it's time he should too. I hate to say that, I love this guy, but either the scheme or the players needs to go. It's obvious the players can no longer execute his scheme.

Bruce Arians - Do I need to say more.

The Backup QB's - The only one I would keep is Batch; Dixon, and the other guy, can't recall his name at the moment, the one that's fragile as glass, goodbye as well.

jjpro11
01-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Hampton makes way to much...His pay is 4x more than anyone else ( NT ) and the production is basically the same.

ok.. but you better have someone damn well capable of replacing him.. right now all we have is McLendon.. Hoke will likely retire because of his neck injury.. even if he doesn't, you can't count on him lasting the season with that delicate of an injury.

Sciz
01-08-2012, 08:15 PM
LOL good luck trading an RB coming off a torn ACL

SwannWorth88
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM

You have to anticipate, mostly due to age, who is going to go downhill at a rapid rate. This organization was able to do this under Cowher, but not since. Cowher was able to get rid of Lloyd and others just before they crashed and burned.

Tomlin tends to keep guys way past their period of productivity.

We've had numerous injuries to older players this season, and losing Keisel tonight was the exclamation point on that. If we keep him, you can expect many more missed games from him next season.

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
You have to anticipate, mostly due to age, who is going to go downhill at a rapid rate. This organization was able to do this under Cowher, but not since. Cowher was able to get rid of Lloyd and others just before they crashed and burned.

Tomlin tends to keep guys way past their period of productivity.

We've had numerous injuries to older players this season, and losing Keisel tonight was the exclamation point on that. If we keep him, you can expect many more missed games from him next season.

We have not drafted replacement players as well as we had in the past. We have drafted some good ones but many bad ones!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
than cut him, i dont care. Ill take redman and draft a good guy mid rounds. 3 young gun wr's i think we are pass first anyway. Redman can handle the load

Steel95
01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
You have to anticipate, mostly due to age, who is going to go downhill at a rapid rate. This organization was able to do this under Cowher, but not since. Cowher was able to get rid of Lloyd and others just before they crashed and burned. Tomlin tends to keep guys way past their period of productivity. We've had numerous injuries to older players this season, and losing Keisel tonight was the exclamation point on that. If we keep him, you can expect many more missed games from him next season.

Most of these same guys you're speaking of, Tomlin inherited them. I do agree though, it's time to stop being a Players Coach and start being a Coach first. Somebody needs to sit #7 down and explain to him we don't he doesn't have to win every game by himself. Its ok to run the football.

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
ok.. but you better have someone damn well capable of replacing him.. right now all we have is McLendon.. Hoke will likely retire because of his neck injury.. even if he doesn't, you can't count on him lasting the season with that delicate of an injury.

Sure, you never cut without replacing. But he is not worth the money which we need other places. Cut and Re-sign?

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Most of these same guys you're speaking of, Tomlin inherited them. I do agree though, it's time to stop being a Players Coach and start being a Coach first. Somebody needs to sit #7 down and explain to him we don't he doesn't have to win every game by himself. Its ok to run the football.

# 7 Is why Tomlin has been so successful...

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
This isnt negative to tomlin or anyone. These guys are old, time to go young. We can easily plug and play without losing a step that will actually make us better quickly.

Mclendon I think we will be fine. He clogged up the holes nicely today. His only fault was not covering Ike Taylors guy. lol

We hung onto Smith way to long. Now we have adequate replacements. Ward did great, he helped out the wr's. Ben got him his 1000, thank god. Or it couldve hurt us. Cotchery is a good 4th wr. Bring depth and experience.

Plenty of cost savings to be had.

truesteelerfan
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Based on the fact that we'll only get 1 or if lucky 2 starters from the draft my cuts/trades would be....

Ariens
Smith
J Scott
Foster.....never really felt good about him
D Johnson.....need a true FB
Farrior...sadly
McFadden
Essex...again
Moore....can get B Batch healthy?

mesaSteeler
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Call it what you will, retool, rebuild, or reload, but changes need to be made. How many years has our O-Line been a problem? Our secondary need help to.

steelers33
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Call it what you will, retool, rebuild, or reload, but changes need to be made. How many years has our O-Line been a problem? Our secondary need help to.

I actually like our secondary going forward. Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Curtis Allen, and Ryan Mundy I all like and I feel they get another year to improve under the solid coaching of Carnell Lake they will see more substantial improvement. Clark is solid, even though not the fastest, and we all know about Troy. I don't know what the hell happened to Ike today, he has been so solid all season long and it was sad to see him burned today. The lack of pass rush did hurt though, Harrison's starting to break down unfortunately but I could like Worilds and Woodley going forward.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Truesteeler:

So your paying Ward 4mill?lol Hampton 4mill?

thats 2 Oline, high quality olineman

desTROY43
01-08-2012, 09:01 PM
It's the same problem as it has been for the past couple seasons, pass coverage. It burns us everytime, last year in the superbowl and again this year in the playoffs. We haven't had a good quality CB since Rod Woodson. Yeah Ike looks like our best one, but that's because the other CB's are more of a target then him. Put another guy like a Revis on the other side and no doubt they will attack Ike more. Spend some of the money that would be freed up on a top tier CB. Then the next area would be the O line, that was embarrassing seeing a 3 man rush get to Ben, c'mon, 5 on 3 should give Ben all the time in the world.
As for Hines, I hate to see him go, after everything he has done for the organization. I would love to see him back again, but with a smaller paycheck, due to having a smaller role and more of a teacher for the up and coming. I respect Hines, and hope that if he does go, it's going out by retire.

fujirama24
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Aaron smith, Casey Hampton,Bryan Mcfadden, Chris Kemotuu, Rashard Mendenhall, And I hate to say it but James Farriorr who is a future hall of famer it is time to cut ties to them. We would save a tone of money letting them go. If it were me Ryan clark would go to. I beleive Ryan mundy can play the position just as good. Gay played well enough this year to stay on. Legursky is better than people give him credit for. We need another running back. And a better Offensive Guard. Another stud safety would be good too. And we need to start looking for another Inside linebacker.

truesteelerfan
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Truesteeler:

So your paying Ward 4mill?lol Hampton 4mill?

thats 2 Oline, high quality olineman

Yes, I missed on Hampton....Snack's time has passed....Sorry but I'm still hoping Hines is here next year.....reduced role, big paycut...then we hire him as our WR Coach.

01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Ike Taylor put this bum on the first bus out of town!

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
BTW, Hines Ward was our starting WR today.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Jesus, some need to calm down and get their heads straight. Ike and Gay are staying, Ike had a bad game, get over it. They were fantastic for the majority this year, they're the last pieces that need to be cut.

Players that NEED to go:
Aaron Smith
James Farrior
Bryant Mcfadden
David Johnson
Daniel Sepulveda

Players that COULD go:
Casey Hampton
Hines Ward
Chris Kemoeatu (getting paid too much)
Mewelde Moore

Draft:
Guard, ILB, NT, CB in first four rounds in no oder
Fast RB and OL in later rounds

Gingerchip
01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
It's the same problem as it has been for the past couple seasons, pass coverage. It burns us everytime, last year in the superbowl and again this year in the playoffs. We haven't had a good quality CB since Rod Woodson. Yeah Ike looks like our best one, but that's because the other CB's are more of a target then him. Put another guy like a Revis on the other side and no doubt they will attack Ike more. Spend some of the money that would be freed up on a top tier CB. Then the next area would be the O line, that was embarrassing seeing a 3 man rush get to Ben, c'mon, 5 on 3 should give Ben all the time in the world.
As for Hines, I hate to see him go, after everything he has done for the organization. I would love to see him back again, but with a smaller paycheck, due to having a smaller role and more of a teacher for the up and coming. I respect Hines, and hope that if he does go, it's going out by retire.

I agree with you. I sadly missed most of the game today due to an emergency but did Hines get to play at all? And I may be mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong), but wasn't it two young receivers that dropped the ball today? I say keep Hines another year. He has contributed so much to the organization and can still run up the middle and block unlike the younger receivers. Everyone so eager to get rid of someone that has done so much.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2012, 11:36 PM
I agree with you. I sadly missed most of the game today due to an emergency but did Hines get to play at all? And I may be mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong), but wasn't it two young receivers that dropped the ball today? I say keep Hines another year. He has contributed so much to the organization and can still run up the middle and block unlike the younger receivers. Everyone so eager to get rid of someone that has done so much.

Sanders actually played great and Brown had a great catch or two, I don't think we'd miss a beat on the field if we got rid of Hines but I'd like to keep him in the organization if he retired (receivers coach?)

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Sanders actually played great and Brown had a great catch or two, I don't think we'd miss a beat on the field if we got rid of Hines but I'd like to keep him in the organization if he retired (receivers coach?)

He'd be great at that but that would mean you'd have to fire Scottie Montegomery who IMO has done a wonderful job with the development of Brown, Sanders, and Wallace.

Danny136200
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Smith
Hampton
Ward
Kemo
Batch
Gay needs to be replaced

Farrior?

After Harrison gets fined, he may kill Goodell, lol So we will have more salary to spend there, lol

sad part is, coaches will say, we made the playoffs, had #1 def, we need no changes. Just like when we won the SB. No Oline changes.

Hopefully some changes at the oline and dline. Gay is fine, there is no need of replacing him (and don't blame him for the loss, Ike taylor was burned all day by some guy named Thomas. Plus he was played very well this season compared to last season's debacle). Farrior wont retire, but we need some young depth in that position. Ward and Smith most likely will retire; ward prolly wont be able to get on the field and Smith cant stay on the field.

JCPsteelers
01-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Didn't we just extend Hampton last year? I doubt he will be gone.

Farrior,Ward, Smith, Kemo (who actually I thought didn't have a bad game today) will be gone or will come back at min salary.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Keisel goes no where, thats just stupid. Hampton didnt struggle much this season but is questionable for next year. Farrior is done, Smith is done. Regardless of how Brown and Wallace play, the offense was statistically better with Hines as a starter. Im not saying he's a starter next year, but Wallace dissapeared for 5 games, he has a lot to learn from Hines. Changes will be made on the o line. Suisham is gone. It's all for not though unless we get an OC. Just because we were the #1 D and made the playoffs doesnt mean there is no reason for improvement. Losing sucks, but watching them lose because of idiocy on our own team is the worst.

JCPsteelers
01-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Here's the 2012 projected cap for the Steelers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/steelers-2012-salary-cap-total-players-under-contract/

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 02:07 AM

Wallace dropped the long bomb.

Jerricho Cotchery (veteran) and David Johnson (loser) dropped the other two passes.

fate0521
01-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Agree on Ward, Hampton, Smith. I love Ward but I think we have enough talent now to replace him

Sepulveda is a great asset but I worry about the guy staying healthy for a year

Disagree on Keisel, I think he had a great year and looked fresh as ever when some people looked older and slower

steelfury02
01-09-2012, 07:24 AM
who else thinks we could package a few players to get an extra first rounder or second rounder?

Honestly - there is the obvious ones that will be gone and then we all know dang well that there will be 2 to 3 guys we feel should go, but won't

For all the brain farts the defense had this season in big games - multiply that by 1000 for the offense

Also - who else is already getting worried about Pouncey? 2 seasons, and pretty much absent in huge games

Steeldude
01-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Smith
Hampton
Ward
Kemo
Batch
Gay needs to be replaced

Farrior?

gay is probably the second best DB on the team at the moment. he isn't costly either.

i think hampton needs to go. smith will retire.

farrior and foote are horrible and not worth their salaries.

ward might be a cap casualty

arians needs to go.

tomlin needs to stop being so laid back. fix the problems. saying "um" over and over at a press conference doesn't amount to anything.

i was never a mendenhall fan either. he is soft.

move colon to RG

the problem is it seems the steelers don't have a replacement for ll of these players so some will most likely stay

RuHappy69
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
My list:
Smith - Def gone
Hampton - Stays but restructures his contract big time. If not, then cut him.
Ward - Retires or is forced out nicely.
Keisel : Stays but seems to disappears down the stretch.
Harrison - Redo his contract.. Did not produce and was hurt a lot this year..
OLINE:
Kemo - Gone. Garbage and very expensive
Legursky - I like Legursky. Very smart center and very versatile. Not a year around starter though IMO.
Speuvada - Cut, always hurt.
Colon: Restructure his contract and move him to RG.
Batch - Retire but Dixon may also go via free agency as he wants a real chance to start somewhere.
Farrior - Same as Ward
Foote - Paid a lot as a glorified backup and doesn't make plays for his worth.
Ike - Best CB on our team that had a terrible game. Blame the coaches here for not benching him period.
Gay, second best CB on team.

I saw a lot of poor D play yesterday. Woodley and Harrison were as invisible as they were in the Texans game. Zero impact. I also saw a LOT of plays where Hood and Heyward were STOOD UP on one on one blocks! It seemed when Denver rushed 3 they got penetration, when we did, Tebow had tons of time. Unacceptable!

RuHappy69
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I just hope that Tomlin doesn't pull another Chuck Noll and keep players way past their prime due to loyalty.. That's what got us 5-11..

SteelCity'33
01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I agree with alot of what's being posted here, especially hanging onto Keisel.
Steelers were down to 3 D-linemen after Casey and Keisel went out...playing at Mile High, no wonder we couldnt generate anything up front! Those guys were sucking wind. But we do need to find linemen on both sides of the ball.
Ike had a bad game but who comes in if you bench him? Troy was out of sorts too without Clark, sort of like when Hope left for Tennessee. In this new pass friendly NFL where defenses are playing with their hands tied, it's imperative to have a strong secondary.

On a little different note, how about bringing in a new strength coach...some of these injuries seem preventable (oline and shoulder injuries seem rampant with Steeler linemen).

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 09:39 AM
There is at least 20million in cuts that can be easily made. Plus the cap is going to go up a decent chunk this year. Down side is, everyone cap goes up, lol

Redman isnt under contract? urghhhhh.

Wallace will be tagged if he doesnt agree. Someone could still take a flier on him and give up the picks.

Jeeptj12
01-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Defense:
#1 least YPG
#1 least PPG
#1 least total points
#24 with INT
#30 Fumbles
#27 FF #30 in Rec
#17 sacks
#32 in Defensive scores
Overall: #7 (#15 Rushing, #3 Passing)

That shows me a lack of a playmaker on defense that can cause turnovers. We need turnovers. Low number of sacks and lack of INT's with good passing stats shows me the defensive line and linebackers aren't getting to the quarterback enough causing turnovers. That is essential especially when your top competitor Ravens have Flacco who is terrible under pressure. The lack of pressure is how he beat us twice.

Offense:
#21 Total Pts
#12 YDS/G
#29 TO ratio which #32 being worst
#9 most SACKS given up
#21 in Red Zone Conversions
Overall: #18 (#24 in passing, #13 in rushing)

#21 in Total points is sad. #21 Red Zone is sadder. That is especially sad when you are #12 in YDS/G. I put a lot of blame on Arians. My huge beef with Arians is that his play calls are usually predictable in the Red Zone. It makes me fume. The Steelers turn the ball over too much which is a problem. Obviously the sacks signals to the O-line. We all knew that was a problem.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Overall #7 in D and overall #18 in O shows that being 1 and out in the playoffs is not really an anomaly. The "new" NFL is more about O than D and unless we can consistently put points on the board and keep our D off the field, we will have a hard time. It was even worse yesterday with an aging defense playing in high elevation.

Arians blew it once again. Why stick to what worked (running game) when all you have to do to lose the game is to rely on a banged up QB?

LayingTheWoodley56
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
What a horrible way for Ward to go out

Both CBs need to go
The entire O-line(exept Pouncy)

Very intelligent. Ike Taylor just had his best season, regardless of yesterday. William Gay showed a lot of development this season, picked off two big passes in two divisional games and made a host of other solid plays. These two guys anchored the number one passing defense in the NFL. But you're right, they're dead weight, they gotta go.

EbonySteel86
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
I agree with most of what everyone has said; yes, this was the O/C fault. Why in the world did he stop running the football? In regulation, after the last 1st Down, they should have ran Redman! They could have picked up enough yards to kick a field goal. Another thing; that WR Screen? How many times is Arians going to call that junk? He is starting to get too predictable, lousy game plan. These guys were listening too much to the critics all week about Tim Tebow and his ineffectiveness to throw the Football. Hmm! That last play will stick in their minds the entire off-season I bet. Yes, the following players need to be replaced in the starting lineup:

James Farrior - Father time has caught up with him; the guys really looks slow N old out there. He can't cover the middle, can't keep up with the RB/TE's any longer.

Casey Hampton - Too old, too slow, still has a little left, but not nearly enough to last a 16 game schedule anymore. Draft a NT or ILB with the first pick.

Hines Ward - One of my favorite Steeler Players of all time; and that's saying quite a bit considering I've been following these guys for 37 years. But his time has come.

Aaron Smith - Placed on IR three out of the past four years, do I need to say more?

Larry Foote - A serviceable backup, the guy isn't a starter though.

Mendenhall - I would trade or release him, lets go back to some Old Steeler style football; did you see Redman tonight? Pound the football!!!

D. Lebeau - I still think he has it; but if he's too enamored with his current players to see and understand it's time to move on, then maybe it's time he should too. I hate to say that, I love this guy, but either the scheme or the players needs to go. It's obvious the players can no longer execute his scheme.

Bruce Arians - Do I need to say more.

The Backup QB's - The only one I would keep is Batch; Dixon, and the other guy, can't recall his name at the moment, the one that's fragile as glass, goodbye as well.
Watching Redman run was a thing of beauty, and then. At the end of regulation he would've got us in FG range. Instead we go five wide, get knock out of fg range, and the rest is history. Don't know if I'd get rid of Hampton tho. He still hard as hell to contain, its just the LB's behind him that suck!

Darkstorm05
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Cuts:

A Smith - Not contributing, needs to go.

Gay - Lots of people defend him, but I never bought into it. I don't care what anyone says, he cost us the play that would have put us a game ahead of the Ravens and given us the week off.

Moore - We have an established #1(Mendenhall) and a stable of guys ready to fight over the #2 and #3 spots. Moore is redundant.

Batch - We need that roster spot for someone who will actually see the field.

Sepulveda - He gets paid too much to sit out injured.

Kemoeutu - Zero value from him.

That's it on my list. Cutting too many in a shot isn't good for the team overall, IMO. There are others I'd deal with in other ways.

Ward - Fine to stay, if he understands he'll be the bottom of the chart, and takes a pay cut.

Farrior - Kept as a backup, or to play a few snaps a game.

Foote - Maybe a backup if there's room. Not a starter for sure.

Hampton - Plays less snaps, as we get replacements ready to take over.

B-Mac - His last chance. He used to be solid, but I don't know what went wrong here. If he can't get back to his A game this year, he goes.

Calling for Ike and Keisel to be cut is a bit extreme. I don't agree with the "Ike is the #1 corner on the #1 D so he must be #1 in the NFL" garbage, but he's serviceable most of the time. I've seen a lot of posts claiming he must be #1 because he's the least targeted, but that's also silly. If you're a QB, and you see Ike and Gay/B-Mac trot out into coverage, who will you be passing at?

Pouncey has been injured a lot, but IMO, this might be because his supporting line is crumbling around him. He's the anchor of the center of the line, but if the guys around him are giving ground, it makes it easy for him to get isolated and plowed under. I think if we get some solid play to the sides of him, it'll be fine.

By next year, we need to draft a QB early. I'm not saying we replace Ben, but we really need our next guy to be queued up soon.

xbroughneck
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
# 7 Is why Tomlin has been so successful...

Same can be said of Belichuck, Dungie, Green Bay's current coach, dude in New Orleans.

Players make great coaches.

While Batch is older, I'm still wondering why so many Steelers fans are ready to let him go. He's better than Leftwich AND Dixon. What's Charlie's record as a Steelers starter?

Are the Steelers planning to draft a QB?

James Farrior is the #1 reason the Steelers run defense gave up almost a hundred yards a game on the ground this year.

Love the guy, but for the same reason Hines needs to go, Farrior's time as a Steeler is done.

stiller39
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Ward, Hampton, Batch, Farrior, Smith, Sepulvada, Kemo, and Colon could and should be replaced with current players and the draft.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately Casey Hamption might have to be a casaulty. If yesterday's injury is really an ACL...at 34 years old, he just might be done. He'll count $8 mill toward the cap in 2012 and will be an UFA at the end of the season anyway...and it would be highly unlikely that the Steelers woud pursue too vigorously.

I love Hines Ward. I can't think of seeing the Steelers take the field without him...but he'll be 36 years old next season and has seen a dramatic reduction in productivity. If he wasn't willing renegotiate his contract and play for a signficant amount less, his $4.6 hit to the cap will be too much. Saving nearly $13 million between Hampton and Ward could go a LONG way in helping the Steelers seal up Wallace and secure some much needed help at the NT and OL positions.

Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke need to have played their last games. It's over guys...thanks for the service, but it's over.

Kemoeatu is going to be a $5 mill hit to the cap. Please....I saw the guy was graded as one of the worst guards in football. He's horrible. Too much money in a guy who isn't protecting your teams biggest asset.

Charlie Batch will be 38 going into next season. He's an OK backup but can he really win you 3-4 games if Ben goes down for an extended stretch? All 3 of the backups are free agents. The only one I'd like to see them resign is Leftwich...assuming he can ever stay healthy. If not...it's time to start fresh at the backup QB position.

You gotta find a way to resign Wallace to a long term deal...got to seal up Mundy and Redman, too. I think with Ward's departure, Cotchery could prove to be a big asset. Kid has some work to do, but the way he hung on to that football on the TD yesterday showed me something.

Resign Legursky, Gay, Moore and Scott.