PDA

View Full Version : My guarantees for next year

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Tomlin be STILL be our head Coach.
We will address the O-Line this year with an early pick or even two.
We will cut some old faces both on offense and defense.
We will not return to smash mouth football regardless who is O.C.

Things not so clear..........

Arians return I am putting at 60-40 to return
LeBeau return I am putting at only 50-50 I think he may be ready to pass the torch.

In closing I think we are on the brink of a chasm where we can either bridge it with some new blood or fall out of contention for a year or two. The front office has some difficult decisions ahead of them. Do not take this as a sky is falling attitude I am a Steeler fan true B&G, hell I will not even watch another game this playoff since we are out, but to me its obvious something is missing . Whether that is the O.C. or some team chemistry or some older players, something is missing and has been all season. The fan in me just did not want to see it til tonight, I even thought if we could pull tonights game out there was still a chance, but the BRoncos may have saved us even a more embarrassing loss later.

truesteelerfan
01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Way to go out on a limb dude

steeltheone
01-08-2012, 08:30 PM
We have many many holes...12 -4 was an accomplishment!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Way out on a limb, lol

Lebeau stays I'll bet on that. #1 def, one more year.

As long as the Ravens lose I do not care who wins. Hell Teboiw would make a great story, lol. Not sure I can watch games though havent in the past.

Eztarget
01-08-2012, 08:32 PM

They had a cream puff schedule. They won ONE big game all year against New England.

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Way to go out on a limb dude

I think so.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2012, 08:35 PM

That's how I feel too, honestly. I was prepared for a major let down season, as that seems to be the case after winning/appearing in a SB.

12-4 was much better than I had predicted at the beginning of the season, so everything after that was gravy.

I'll just drink a cyanide c0cktail if it's NE and Balt in the AFCCG though.

rocckbottomxmen
01-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Tomlin be STILL be our head Coach.
We will address the O-Line this year with an early pick or even two.
We will cut some old faces both on offense and defense.
We will not return to smash mouth football regardless who is O.C.

Things not so clear..........

Arians return I am putting at 60-40 to return
LeBeau return I am putting at only 50-50 I think he may be ready to pass the torch.

In closing I think we are on the brink of a chasm where we can either bridge it with some new blood or fall out of contention for a year or two. The front office has some difficult decisions ahead of them. Do not take this as a sky is falling attitude I am a Steeler fan true B&G, hell I will not even watch another game this playoff since we are out, but to me its obvious something is missing . Whether that is the O.C. or some team chemistry or some older players, something is missing and has been all season. The fan in me just did not want to see it til tonight, I even thought if we could pull tonights game out there was still a chance, but the BRoncos may have saved us even a more embarrassing loss later.

I Agree with the changes but we will not fall of or out of contention...especially if we get an oc who can call plays. we will just be a newer version of off juggernaut. And on defense we will run the 3-4 still with butler as dc, just more aggressive

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
our changes are minor, considering we are who we are. lol.. The core is intact.

Can we get any worse corners and still be #1 def?

Can we get any worse on the Oline and still pass for 4000 yards?

The changes although large for a lot of teams, are not for the Steelers.

FightFan27
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM

and were only a few plays away from 8-8 .

Tulsa
01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
My biggest fear, other than Arians still being here, is LeBeau going and Tomlin moving us to the Tampa 2. Yuck.

Ricco Suavez
01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
our changes are minor, considering we are who we are. lol.. The core is intact.

Can we get any worse corners and still be #1 def?

Can we get any worse on the Oline and still pass for 4000 yards?

The changes although large for a lot of teams, are not for the Steelers.

I for one hope you are right on that last statement. It just seems we have done well in replacing some elements in the past, and i hope it continues, but if we miss on a couple of drafts we could be in for a dry spell.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 09:02 PM
My biggest fear, other than Arians still being here, is LeBeau going and Tomlin moving us to the Tampa 2. Yuck.

I don't see that happening due to our personal and the fact it's widely assumed that Keith Butler is the DC in waiting. Hopefully Arians decides to retire. Can't see them firing him since he's liked by the players.

steelcity1974
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
and were only a few plays away from 8-8 .

And one defensive stop away from 13-3 ad the 1 seed so what your fing point?

TRH
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Arians will likely be back. Almost surely, no question.

My only prediction is that we'll continue to throw 'bubble screens'......even though every team in the NFL knows that we do and when we do it (since we show them how we line up and run long snap counts) lol

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2012, 07:55 AM
That's how I feel too, honestly. I was prepared for a major let down season, as that seems to be the case after winning/appearing in a SB.

12-4 was much better than I had predicted at the beginning of the season, so everything after that was gravy.

I'll just drink a cyanide c0cktail if it's NE and Balt in the AFCCG though.

Given that a trip to New England likely would have been a disaster and that injuries gutted this year's team, the loss does not sting near as much as the AFC Championship game losses and certainly is nowhere near as panful as last year's loss to Green Bay - yesterday was more along the lines of the playoff loss to Jax in Tomlin's first year that also involved a Steelers team that was out of gas

The season started out so badly with the opening day debacle in Baltimore that my expectations for most of the season were for a wild card and no more than a first weekend playoff win - the only brief period in which I thought this team had a higher ceiling than that was in the week after the win in New England until the Steelers coughed up the lead in the last minute to Baltimore (the game on which the season hinged)

A soft schedule masked a lot of problems - with a one and done in the playoffs there will be no justification that this current team is at a championship level - look for a lot of familiar faces to be gone next season (Ward, Batch (Tomlin is a Leftwich guy), Starks, Kemo, Farrior, Foote (maybe), Smith, Hoke, Hampton, McFadden).

Cotchery unfortunaely will not be back as a #4 receiver since he deserves a bigger payday elsewhere - what will be interesting is what the Steelers do about new contracts for Mendenhall and Wallace. My bet is Mendenhall will not be back after 2012 and that Wallace will want more than the Steelers are willing to pay given his drop off in performance the second half of the season.

SC Mom - my only consolation with a Ravens-New England AFC championship game is the Green Bay or New Orleans will torch whomever the AFC sends to the Super Bowl

TRH
01-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Given that a trip to New England likely would have been a disaster and that injuries gutted this year's team, the loss does not sting near as much as the AFC Championship game losses and certainly is nowhere near as panful as last year's loss to Green Bay - yesterday was more along the lines of the playoff loss to Jax in Tomlin's first year that also involved a Steelers team that was out of gas

The season started out so badly with the opening day debacle in Baltimore that my expectations for most of the season were for a wild card and no more than a first weekend playoff win - the only brief period in which I thought this team had a higher ceiling than that was in the week after the win in New England until the Steelers coughed up the lead in the last minute to Baltimore (the game on which the season hinged)

A soft schedule masked a lot of problems - with a one and done in the playoffs there will be no justification that this current team is at a championship level - look for a lot of familiar faces to be gone next season (Ward, Batch (Tomlin is a Leftwich guy), Starks, Kemo, Farrior, Foote (maybe), Smith, Hoke, Hampton, McFadden).

Cotchery unfortunaely will not be back as a #4 receiver since he deserves a bigger payday elsewhere - what will be interesting is what the Steelers do about new contracts for Mendenhall and Wallace. My bet is Mendenhall will not be back after 2012 and that Wallace will want more than the Steelers are willing to pay given his drop off in performance the second half of the season.

SC Mom - my only consolation with a Ravens-New England AFC championship game is the Green Bay or New Orleans will torch whomever the AFC sends to the Super Bowl

I'm also glad, relieved in many ways that we avoided the trip to New England. We were likely due to get absolutely humiliated up there this time.
Everyone's talking GB.......but i think the Saints are the best team right now and are competely lighting everyone up.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm also glad, relieved in many ways that we avoided the trip to New England. We were likely due to get absolutely humiliated up there this time.
Everyone's talking GB.......but i think the Saints are the best team right now and are competely lighting everyone up.

Yep, glad we're not going to get slaughtered by NE. This one would have hurt much more.
I can't wait to watch the NFCCG and I hope the NFC team wins the SB.

MzunguT
01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Yep, glad we're not going to get slaughtered by NE. This one would have hurt much more.
I can't wait to watch the NFCCG and I hope the NFC team wins the SB.

Sure hope it's not the Packers again but I'll take anyone over NE or the Ratbirds..

Maybe there is something good about going out this way, with a performance that leaves everybody speechless. Had we managed to get through this one and then maybe lost just by a small margin to NE, it would not have been that obvious to everybody that some things need to change. Injuries or not, we should've taken Denver down in the first quarter already. We go up 10-0, we're basically through. We need more fire.. Still not convinced it will happen though, especially with Arians, so I don't see any things guaranteed..

plenewken
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Still not convinced it will happen though, especially with Arians, so I don't see any things guaranteed..

I think you're right, and I'm afraid nobody else is gonna offer him a job so we'll probably have to stick with him for a few more years ......... <sigh>

Quasar
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
We need more fire.. Still not convinced it will happen though, especially with Arians, so I don't see any things guaranteed..

Agreed. We need that killer instinct, to put teams away. Even if it's in the first half, don't sit on a lead.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM

good post Dan. pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. especially the part about 12 - 4 being mostly the result of a cup cake schedule. there were 4 games big games that this team had to show their mettle . they failed to answer the bell on 3. the other 11 wins were for the most part just ugly wins where they did just enough to get by in most of em. outside of maybe NE , not one win was what i'd call impressive.