PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk draft now that season is over

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Tough season. And perhaps the end of careers for a few fan favorites. Hoping for the best next year. Anyhow, what direction do you guys think we go in the draft? Our philosophy is typically BPA. I think we need to get another top flight o-lineman. Pouncey and Gilbert are good building blocks.

mesaSteeler
01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Secondary, with one of the top two picks.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Oline 1st pick. If a shut down corner is available late. Trade next years 1 move up.

Need Oline, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

We will draft a FB, lol

casteeler
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Absolutely Secondary

mesaSteeler
01-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Oline 1st pick. If a shut down corner is available late. Trade next years 1 move up.

Need Oline, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

We will draft a FB, lol

But the super genius Airhead Arians won't use a full back.

Mario_34
01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Knowing the steelers, we will get yet another Linebacker and RB
Im calling it watch.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Im calling it watch.

Another MLB wouldn't be bad honestly. Consider Farrior and Foote's age and that Slyvester may just be a ST guy. Wouldn't want a RB in R1 but if we find one in the middle rounds I wouldn't be too upset though I was impressed with Redman today. Love his toughness.

harrison'samonster
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Then drafting a FB is what people will least expect. Get a good FB in the first round, and then Arians will have everybody exactly where he wants them!

I think we need to go O-line first round. I know the secondary had a pretty bad showing tonight, but I would imagine that when the coaches review film from the season they won't be too worried about Ike, Gay, Polamalu, and Clark.

steelerchad
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
we took a couple of stabs at corner the last couple of years in the mid rounds. Hopefully, 2 of them develop well. As bad as Ike was today..... and he had a career low in my opinion against the worst starting passer in the NFL and a no name WR, I think he had a solid season and is an overall good corner for the next 3 years or so. Other side? Well, Gay was OK this year. I really think the no pressure thing killed us most of the year. Virtually no pass rush for most of the year. I go there. As much as we've invested at LBer, I think Harrison is gone, Farrior retired. That leaves us Woodley, Timmons, Worilds, Let's go get another playmaking LBer, a NT, and an OG.

As weak as O-Line was I think Pouncey and Gilbert are good to go for the next 7 or 8 years. Starks had a nice year, I thought. After that, the rest are backup or depth quality I think, which we need. A stud guard could be had at # 24, which is where we pick I believe.

lipps83
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I agree with offensive line and secondary. Who are some talented players coming out this draft?

I haven't really followed college ball this year, so not sure of the talent level coming out.

IowaSteeler927
01-08-2012, 10:07 PM
We have needs at Offensive Line, Receiver, and in the Secondary that I think are the most glaring. Our receivers are good but we need a big physical receiver who Ben can throw the ball up to in the endzone. We also need help in the secondary and if we could get a good future LT or LG out of the draft we would be doing well.

Oh and steelerchad that "No Name" wide receiver was Demaryius Thomas who was a 1st Round pick out of Georgia Tech. He sat out last season due to an achilles injury and when he finally got playing time this year he's been tearing it up to the point I started him on my fantasy team. He's pretty damned good actually.

Boomer
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
No way we go RB early. With Baron Batch, Dwyer, Redman coming back we are OK. Clay looked OK too. Mendenhall can't come back in here and demand a big contract.

On those 3rd and 2 plays or 3rd and 1, how many of you felt alot better with Redman back there over Mendy. I know I did.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
No way we go RB early. With Baron Batch, Dwyer, Redman coming back we are OK. Clay looked OK too. Mendenhall can't come back in here and demand a big contract.

On those 3rd and 2 plays or 3rd and 1, how many of you felt alot better with Redman back there over Mendy. I know I did.

Yeah I feel better with Redman in on short yardage situations. I think Mendenhall is a one contract Steeler. Not a bad player and not a bust but he's easily replacable compared to the other guys who are FAs at the same time.

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 10:12 PM
You can't just say lets pick a position where we're weak at and choose the best guy there. It has to be a value pick as well as a position of need. That's why we took Heyward last year when Aaron Williams and Ras-I Dowling were available.

mesaSteeler
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Im calling it watch.

Could be, but I'm sure Ben will lobby for another tall WR in the first two rounds again. Then we will draft linebackers and maybe a 7th round guard.

IowaSteeler927
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah I feel better with Redman in on short yardage situations. I think Mendenhall is a one contract Steeler. Not a bad player and not a bust but he's easily replacable compared to the other guys who are FAs at the same time.

Mendy just doesn't take over games or take the team on his shoulders like he should be able to. Never has marked me as an absolute game changer. I do see a need at RB but I don't see the Steelers doing anything about it this offseason.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
You can't just say lets pick a position where we're weak at and choose the best guy there. It has to be a value pick as well as a position of need. That's why we took Heyward last year when Aaron Williams and Ras-I Dowling were available.

Yeah it's not true BPA. Heyward looks like he's going to be great. Thought for sure we'd be going DB in this past year's draft but we didn't and I am glad since Heyward looks like another hit.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Mendy just doesn't take over games or take the team on his shoulders like he should be able to. Never has marked me as an absolute game changer. I do see a need at RB but I don't see the Steelers doing anything about it this offseason.

I think you're right that they won't do anything. I think Redman has shown that he has starting capability and you know they're going to want to see what they have in Dwyer, Clay, Batch,.

fujirama24
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I'd try to go Inside Linebacker. That is about the time some of the good ones come off the board. If not maybe a starting running back even though I think we can get a decent one later. If one of the top 3 corner fall to us that would be a possiblity too. But I like some of the corners that we have picked in recent drafts. I agree that Offensive guard could be a possibilty also that is close to being were they are picked and were we picked kendal simmons in 02. We need another faneca on this team. Yeah we need another tackle to replace starks but he played very well this year and I can see us giving him another contract.

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd try to go Inside Linebacker. That is about the time some of the good ones come off the board. If not maybe a starting running back even though I think we can get a decent one later. If one of the top 3 corner fall to us that would be a possiblity too. But I like some of the corners that we have picked in recent drafts. I agree that Offensive guard could be a possibilty also that is close to being were they are picked and were we picked kendal simmons in 02. We need another faneca on this team. Yeah we need another tackle to replace starks but he played very well this year and I can see us giving him another contract.

Inside LB or OG are my bets at this point. Would be happy with either honest.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I think, now that we have a top 25 pick, we've gotta take either Donta Hightower or Vontaze Burfict if they're available. They're way better prospects than any OG, NT, or CB that will be there and at least one of the two will probably be available.

Second pick, I think we need to address either OG or CB. I'm not overreacting to today, because I know Ike Taylor is still good. But, he is getting old, and while I like Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, I really think we need somebody with a pretty good pedigree to groom into a #1 corner. I just don't see Brown or Allen (Or Gay or Lewis for that matter) as shutdown, #1 corners. Definitely serviceable guys but we need someone who can be reliable against top receivers. And then, if there's nobody like that available, go with the obvious "need" pick at OG and do the CB thing in another draft.

Wouldn't mind a RB with some good speed in the middle rounds either (or even in the second round if a really good guy like David Wilson or Lamichael James is available, just not with the first pick.)

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 10:38 PM
looks like we'll be picking 24 th.
top 24 are locked in.

1. Indianapolis Colts (2-14)
2. St. Louis Rams (2-14)
3. Minnesota Vikings (3-13)
4. Cleveland Browns (4-12)
5. Tampa Bay Bucs (4-12)
6. Washington Redskins (5-11)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)
8. Carolina Panthers (6-10) (coin flip)
8. Miami Dolphins (6-10) (coin flip)
10. Buffalo Bills (6-10)
11. Seattle Seahawks (7-9) (coin flip)
11. Kansas City Chiefs (7-9) (coin flip)
13. Arizona Cardinals (8-8)
14. Dallas Cowboys (8-8)
15. Philadelphia Eagles (8-8)
16. New York Jets (8-8)
17. Oakland Raiders (8-8) (traded to Cincinnati)
18. San Diego Chargers (8-8)
19. Chicago Bears (8-8)
20. Tennessee Titans (9-7)
21. Cincinnati Bengals (9-7)
22. Atlanta Falcons (10-6)(traded to Cleveland)
23. Detroit Lions (10-6)
24. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

25. Denver Broncos (8-8)*
26. New York Giants (9-7)*
27. Houston Texans (10-6)*
28. Baltimore Ravens (12-4)*
29. New Orleans Saints (13-3)*(traded to New England)
30. San Francisco 49ers (13-3)*
31. New England Patriots (13-3)*
32. Green Bay Packers (15-1)*

zero1
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
As long as it's an OL, CB, ILB, or NT I'll be fine with whoever they decide on.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
personally i think 2 guards are the biggest need. i've seen enough of the musical chairs between kemo,legursky,foster and essex.
next i think a dominant inside linebacker is in order.
NT
T
K
CB
here's my 1st rd order for now..

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012ILB.php
Barrett Jones*, T/G, Alabama
Height: 6-5. Weight: 311.
Projected 40 Time: 5.19.
Projected Round (2012): 1.
Jones has had tremendous season that has really elevated his draft stock. In his biggest test of the year, the junior was playing very well against LSU before he sustained an ankle injury in the second half. Early in the evening, Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting help with LSU's speed rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid not allowing a sack or pressure. If the tackle can duplicate that performance against Tigers' speed rushers in the National Championship Game, he could move his stock up even more further.

Jones moved to left tackle this season after playing guard the previous two years. His transisition has been flawless. He did a fabulous job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and has been equally good in pass protection. Jones is an intelligent player who has the physical tools to be effective. Over the past four months, he has proved himself as a legitimate first-round left tackle prospect for the NFL. After the season, Jones will have to decide if he wants to turn pro.
this guy was a guard for 2 years before moving to LT. try him out at both. put him in where needed.

Luke Kuechly*, ILB, Boston College
Height: 6-3. Weight: 237.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2012): Top 20.

Dont'a Hightower*, ILB, Alabama
Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.85.
Projected Round (2011): 1.

Peter Konz*, C, Wisconsin
Height: 6-5. Weight: 315.
Projected 40 Time: 5.58.
The junior Konz has collected a stack of dominant tapes for NFL evaluators this season. He has played elite players like Jerel Worthy and Jared Crick very well. The Badgers have had a fabulous running offense, and Konz is an excellent run blocker. He seals holes well, gets to the second level, and puts defenders on the ground regularly. Konz has done a fabulous job in pass protection for quarterback Russell Wilson
before some goober reminds me we just drafted a center , keep in mind if you can play center you can play guard. plus with pouncey's habit of being injured this guy would be a much better option to slide over than legursky.

Cordy Glenn*, G, Georgia
Height: 6-5. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.28.
Projected Round (2012): 1-2.

Vontaze Burfict*, ILB, Arizona State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

BlaZeQuietly
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
yup o-line and seconday, couldn't agree more the teams just so old though, you can tell by lookin at em, i love em but jeee

Truman_sparks
01-08-2012, 11:08 PM
We've been using picks on DB's year after year. Allen, Butler, Lewis, Curtis Brown, Joe Burnett, Mundy and Gay.

These players need to at some point develop. (Even though some are gone now)

Black N' Yellow
01-08-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm guessing, G, MLB, DT, are gonna get addressed. We'll also need to do something about the lack of a tall physical receiver to make things easier in the red zone (Redman,Johnson/Saunders,Miller,6' 2"+ reciever, and Cotchery sounds like a decent red zone package to me).

Also Troy and Clark aren't getting any younger. Mundy's gonna be ok to replace either one, but we need another safety to replace the other in the next few years...

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm guessing, G, MLB, DT, are gonna get addressed. We'll also need to do something about the lack of a tall physical receiver to make things easier in the red zone (Redman,Johnson/Saunders,Miller,6' 2"+ reciever, and Cotchery sounds like a decent red zone package to me).

Also Troy and Clark aren't getting any younger. Mundy's gonna be ok to replace either one, but we need another safety to replace the other in the next few years...

You can't be serious saying Ryan Mundy will be "ok" to replace Troy Polamalu.

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
You can't be serious saying Ryan Mundy will be "ok" to replace Troy Polamalu.

I think he just means Mundy could play either safety position. Obviously Mundy is not going to replace Polamalu's ability.

CaliStillersFan
01-09-2012, 12:15 AM
I hope they use all 7 picks on offensive linemen.

NoFieldFive
01-09-2012, 12:19 AM
we need a corner with some height. too many big receivers out there and our 5'11" backs aren't big enough

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Secondary, with one of the top two picks.

I believe are secondary is fine (I know, i know we gave up 316 passing yards to tim tebow just a couple of hours ago, but bare with me)

We really, really, really, desperately need linemen on both sides of the ball, heyward and ziggy are very good players, but we need someone who can fill in for the big snack; maybe we wont need an exact replacement for him because of how teams are more pass-oriented nowadays, but we really need to find replacements for the aging dline.

need i say more about the Oline? I think some quality depth (i mean, better than what we have as backup right now) is needed.

I also think that we should draft a kicker in the later rounds.

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 12:43 AM

Who needs a fullback when you have a FB/TE hybrid?! lol

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Another MLB wouldn't be bad honestly. Consider Farrior and Foote's age and that Slyvester may just be a ST guy. Wouldn't want a RB in R1 but if we find one in the middle rounds I wouldn't be too upset though I was impressed with Redman today. Love his toughness.
Actually, you are right, depth at the MLB position is a need too.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 12:47 AM
First and foremost, we are in desperate need of lineman, that's quite obvious. Left guard needs to be a SERIOUS look in this years 2012 draft. Also, it wouldn't hurt to grab a nose-tackle if we are going to make another run with the 3-4 for a couple more years. Middle linebacker is in dire need.

Remember Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen were injured, who were HUGE parts of our Nickel and Dime packaging. It wouldn't hurt to look for a solid safety and groom for the post Troy/Clark era.

jjpro11
01-09-2012, 12:48 AM
1st round.. best player available other than QB, RB, WR, DE. C, or S. whoever falls to us, falls.

GMU Steeler
01-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Actually, you are right, depth at the MLB position is a need too.

I've seen some mocks that have us or the Ravens taking Hightower the LB from Alabama. Anyone got any info on him? I am not a fan of college ball so I know little about him other than that he plays in a 3-4 since I know Bama is a 3-4 D due to them beign coached by Saban.

JCPsteelers
01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Pouncey going to stay healthy for a change? Doesn't make much of an impact if you are constantly hurt in the playoffs.

Team needs offensive lineman. They'll have to hope the corners they drafted Lewis, Allen and Brown can play eventually.

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 02:45 AM
I've seen some mocks that have us or the Ravens taking Hightower the LB from Alabama. Anyone got any info on him? I am not a fan of college ball so I know little about him other than that he plays in a 3-4 since I know Bama is a 3-4 D due to them beign coached by Saban.

Hightower, as well as Kuechly and Burfict, are part of one of the best groups of ILBs to enter the draft in a long time. All three of them are elite talents, and Hightower in particular has led the #1 NCAA defense to the National Championship.

Kuechly had the best season of the three in 2011 but will almost surely be taken before we pick. Burfict is probably the best overall LB prospect, as far as physicality and past performance goes, and was a top ten pick in preseason but has the dreaded "character issues" and was described as a locker room cancer which has dropped him to be a possible pick for us.

In my opinion, Hightower is a "safer" pick than Burfict and will be ready to contribute immediately, but Burfict has a lot more upside if we could get past the character issues and plays with a ferocity reminiscent of Harrison, Greg Lloyd, and the Steelers of old, which I'm sure many would like.

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Unlike past years I honestly believe the Steelers will be players in free agency, but as far as the draft goes, I can see them drafting either a NT, ILB, SS (to start grooming behind Troy), or OG. If they draft a nose tackle I like Dontari Poe from Memphis (6' 5" 350), at ILB I like Donta Hightower from Alabama, and I seen a mock draft that had us taking an OG from Iowa State, don't know much about him though.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 03:20 AM
I will absolutely hate it if we draft Poe. We don't need 3 first round picks in the last 4 years spent on the defensive line. Hightower please. If he's still there when we come around, that pick makes more sense than Pouncey did 2 years ago.

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Honestly can't see the Steelers drafting a cornerback. I just don't think they're going to pull the plug on Allen, Brown, or Lewis so early. I'd like to see them draft a younger quality backup qb in the later rounds, a good pass catching tight end that can get open downfield (maybe like a Shanahan from Pitt), and a field goal kicker. I think a nice mid round pick would be Matt Reynolds the OT from BYU, good tough lineman, good foot movement, and good motor.

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Unlike past years I honestly believe the Steelers will be players in free agency, but as far as the draft goes, I can see them drafting either a NT, ILB, SS (to start grooming behind Troy), or OG. If they draft a nose tackle I like Dontari Poe from Memphis (6' 5" 350), at ILB I like Donta Hightower from Alabama, and I seen a mock draft that had us taking an OG from Iowa State, don't know much about him though.

I will absolutely hate it if we draft Poe. We don't need 3 first round picks in the last 4 years spent on the defensive line. If he's still there when we come around, that pick makes more sense than Pouncey did 2 years ago.
Hampton and Hoke are getting old and the jury is still out on McClendon. Now would be a good time to find their replacement. A later round option could be that Jean-Baptiste kid from Baylor. Who knows.

BritishSteel
01-09-2012, 06:15 AM
OG, ILB, DT in that order for me. Secondary blew today, but unless someone outstanding falls to us (BPA) I think we get better value from shoring up the gaps on the O line. I'd consider another big TE (who can catch!) and potentially a kicker in the later rounds if there's value available. I assume we sign Kapinos if we cut Sepulveda - he's not done much wrong.