PDA

View Full Version : Please...PLEASE...quit the bubble screens

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I made a thread about this when Suggs picked one off in the regular season but it bears repeating. If the refs don't botch that call where Wallace dropped the backwards pass, then maybe the Denver game isn't even that close. THAT PLAY HAS TO GO!

harrison'samonster
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
This offense needs to learn to execute better on those plays if they're going to keep running it.

TRH
01-08-2012, 10:44 PM
now that we "choreograph" them for everyone and their mother to see before we throw it......AND run the snap count clock down to 1 before we hike the ball.
Even the announcers are calling them on us at this point.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I agree with this, it's a wasted play, especially when they're used as often and as poorly as we do.

MACH1
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
But thats half the playbook.

zero1
01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I agree, they need to go.

Black N' Yellow
01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I dunno, I like them when they're done well but they need to be disguised better. Like the 4 receiver diamond formation we did? It'd be nice to see some other plays come out of that if possible so the defense doesn't think screen and try to break it up.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
The whole forum all year has been saying that all year, I said it would bite us in the ass and it did at the two worst times, against Baltimore in Pittsburgh and today in Denver. There is no reason for this stupidity!!

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 11:41 PM
But thats half the playbook.
plus it took bruce years to design that play...:doh:

lambertlunaticfan
01-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I totally agree with you.:applaudit:I yell at teh tv every game,"stop running that play it doesnt work"......I made a thread about this when Suggs picked one off in the regular season but it bears repeating. If the refs don't botch that call where Wallace dropped the backwards pass, then maybe the Denver game isn't even that close. THAT PLAY HAS TO GO!

jjpro11
01-09-2012, 12:04 AM
the ****ing bubble screen likely cost us the first round bye vs the Ravens when Suggs saw it coming.. it would have cost us the game today if not for the dumbass referees. has anyone told Arians and Ben you can throw screen passes to the RB too?

steelerjim58
01-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I would really like to hear the rationale for running that play so often considering how little is gained from it. Obviously a team should not alter its playbook to suit fans, but this is crazy.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I seriously can't remember one God damn positive thing that EVER came out of the WR screen this season. Anybody? The Terrell Suggs leap was the worst. Instead of realizing it at that point, we actually ran it MORE during the coarse of the season. Hines coughed it up against Cleveland with the bubble screen in that Thursday Night game and it was nothing but a drive killer. 3rd and 7 earlier in the game, we throw it to Wallace (on the short side of the field) and he gets a whopping 2 total yards. We're lucky the ref blew the whistle on the second WR screen today. We would of been out of the game with no hope of a comeback if that was overturned as a fumble (which it was.)

Terrible play. Serves NO purpose other than putting our offense behind the 8-ball in very tough, late down situations.

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
I made a thread about this when Suggs picked one off in the regular season but it bears repeating. If the refs don't botch that call where Wallace dropped the backwards pass, then maybe the Denver game isn't even that close. THAT PLAY HAS TO GO!

Those plays are hot and cold. One game it works and is execute to perfection, the next, IDK WTF they are doing running the bubble screen when it is obvious it is not working. What Ben and Arians have to do in the off season is to implement a fake if they are still going to run that play. Like fake the screen and go deep or something like that, they love going deep.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 03:18 AM
No they are just cold. They just are cold. Phil Simms was calling the play out before it was even snapped.

TRH
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
No they are just cold. They just are cold. Phil Simms was calling the play out before it was even snapped.

Yep. We telegraph it.
We line up showing everybody we're going to do it.
Then....Ben takes that snap count all the way down to 1...give the opposing defense the maximum amount of time to read and think about our formation and to ready for the coming "bubble" throw.

We may as well, just yell across the line before the play to the defense, that yes, in fact, here comes the screen.