PDA

View Full Version : "Mendenhall is our best back"

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Like I said, I really don't think so. They just have two very unique styles. Redman is very similar to Michael Turner in that he always drives forward and pushes the pile. There was a few times today where he was met in the backfield and still managed to gain positive yardage. He was our lone bright spot on offense today. 121 yards on just 17 carries. I think he should be our feature back.

casteeler
01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Well said^^

steelax04
So flip roles and have Mendenhall as the change of pace? Or... get rid of Mendenhall completely? I don't know if Mendy would take a demotion very well.

GMU Steeler
A little competition in training camp would be a great idea. I like Redman too. What I love about him is his grit. Guy wants every yard he can get.

Fire Arians
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Mendenhall is our best, I'm sticking by that. i like redman too though.

ricardisimo
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I think they are both excellent running backs. Mendenhall is the more talented of the two. Period.

If we get a new OC, we can have this discussion. Otherwise it's pointless, like arguing about who's the world's tallest midget. Arians could have Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in their prime, and not have any clue how to use them. Pointless discussion for now.

Walt
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Is it realistic to expect Mendy to be 100% next season? I know they say an ACL injury takes about 6 months recovery time, but that's 6 months to being released to full action. Most players I know who have an ACL injury aren't back to their old form until a year or more after the surgery.

Mendy may be able to play, but I don't know that I'd count on him being at "feature back" level by the start of next season.

Black N' Yellow
01-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I just have a feeling that with the intensity and drive that Redman runs with, he could break down rather quickly if we don't spell him often. I'm very hopeful for how Clay works out next year...

Having Redman, Mendy, Batch (if he pans out), and Clay looks like a nice group of running backs. Maybe one of the best in the league?

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2012, 11:59 PM
I think they are both excellent running backs. Mendenhall is the more talented of the two. Period.

If we get a new OC, we can have this discussion. Otherwise it's pointless, like arguing about who the world's tallest midget. Arians could have Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in their prime, and not have any clue how to use them. Pointless discussion for now.
indeed...i seen in one thread where someone suggested a running back in the 1st rd ....why waste the pick ? until they do something with the putrid line and commit in practice to run blocking i wouldn't even spend a 5th pick on a back.
rb's are becoming obsolete in todays pass happy NFL. they might as well line up a TE back there for pass protection and put a wr back there for check downs...:noidea:

MACH1
01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
indeed...i seen in one thread where someone suggested a running back in the 1st rd ....why waste the pick ? until they do something with the putrid line and commit in practice to run blocking i wouldn't even spend a 5th pick on a back.
rb's are becoming obsolete in todays pass happy NFL. they might as well line up a TE back there for pass protection and put a wr back there for check downs...:noidea:

Don't go giving ol brucy any ideas.

skinart82
01-09-2012, 12:03 AM
At least Redman looked damn good in this game, that's how he will be remembered going into next season, that could really go a long way into him being used A LOT more. I just like the way he runs better.

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 01:52 AM
At least Redman looked damn good in this game, that's how he will be remembered going into next season, that could really go a long way into him being used A LOT more. I just like the way he runs better.
He's a good back, and it showed. He's going to have to be good next year, too, because Rashard won't be. It does indeed take players six months to recover from ACL surgery, and another full year for them to regain their pre-injury form. In other words, Mendy's going to be mediocre next season, at which point we could probably sign him on the cheap, long-term.

JCPsteelers
01-09-2012, 02:08 AM
mendenhall has one year to go on his rookie contract. he'll be back for 2012 and then he will be gone.

Agree with the OP, Redman is better

Gingerchip
01-09-2012, 02:14 AM

If we get a new OC, we can have this discussion. Otherwise it's pointless, like arguing about who the world's tallest midget. Arians could have Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in their prime, and not have any clue how to use them. Pointless discussion for now.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!:rofl: Thanks! I need that after today!

Surf-Bat
02-01-2012, 04:33 AM
A little competition in training camp would be a great idea. I like Redman too. What I love about him is his grit. Guy wants every yard he can get.

I agree. He looked like Gerald Riggs or John Riggins in that 100-plus yard game he had. He just bashed people and fought hard for every yard.:tt03:

big pig
02-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Just give me an O line to block for these guys and keep Ben on his feet then we go back to the Big Game, it really that simple. I think we have two great backs, just give em a little place to run!

Edman
02-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Mendenhall was already mediocre this year even before his injury. Redman has done nothing but make things happen with the ball in his hands and he runs downhill. None of the Twinkle Toes crap Mendy has been doing.

Just goes to show just how out of touch our Offense was.

BigRick
02-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Mendenhall was already mediocre this year even before his injury. Redman has done nothing but make things happen with the ball in his hands and he runs downhill. None of the Twinkle Toes crap Mendy has been doing.

Just goes to show just how out of touch our Offense was.

I was truly disappointed in Mendenhalls play this year. I think they need to give Redman the ball more.:tt03:

Edman
02-05-2012, 10:46 PM
FB Hynoski for the G-Men was fantastic in XLVI. I thought the Fullback Position was "dead" in the the NFL, as far our great former OC would tell you. Meanwhile we keep trotting out crap like David Johnson every single week.

After watching this SB, I've grown to detest the Arians offense even more now.

FrancoLambert
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I was truly disappointed in Mendenhalls play this year. I think they need to give Redman the ball more.:tt03:

I think Mendy's "decline" this year had more to do with the o-line than Mendy.
If there is "no hole" or "no daylight" you will dance/delay while trying to find it.
With our o-line, the holes never materialized on a consistent basis.

After re-watching last year's playoff games ( Rats and Jets for the umpteenth time), Mendy's running (breaking tackles and running away from people) was clearly evident and a BIG reason for our success last year.

I am amazed that so many Steeler fans are so down on him and ready to give up on him.
True, he will be re-habbing from a serious injury, but don't write him off yet.....too premature.:tt04:

Whodis
02-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Like I said, I really don't think so. They just have two very unique styles. Redman is very similar to Michael Turner in that he always drives forward and pushes the pile. There was a few times today where he was met in the backfield and still managed to gain positive yardage. He was our lone bright spot on offense today. 121 yards on just 17 carries. I think he should be our feature back.

I agree.. Mendenhall looks as though he avoids contact, where reedman looks for it and drives his legs. I believe a fullback (not Johnson) could help both backs next year.

Bayz101
02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I think Mendy's "decline" this year had more to do with the o-line than Mendy.
If there is "no hole" or "no daylight" you will dance/delay while trying to find it.
With our o-line, the holes never materialized on a consistent basis.

After re-watching last year's playoff games ( Rats and Jets for the umpteenth time), Mendy's running (breaking tackles and running away from people) was clearly evident and a BIG reason for our success last year.

I am amazed that so many Steeler fans are so down on him and ready to give up on him.
True, he will be re-habbing from a serious injury, but don't write him off yet.....too premature.:tt04:

Unfortunately, we'll have to write him off for at least next season, cause he's not going to be back. He's expected do be done rehabbing next November, and then there's the full strength issue after that. We'll probably be without Mendenhall all of next season.

jiminpa
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
He's lowered his should plenty of times, so I doubt he is afraid of contact, but it's good to know when to lower the shoulder and when to avoid the hit and keep running.

JCPsteelers
02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Uh no. Mendenhall sucks and was a bad first round pick since running backs can be found anywhere. See Willie Parker and Redman

wootawnee
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Mendenhall fumbled to lose a Superbowl.....No great superbowl champion backs ever did this......

ricardisimo
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Mendenhall fumbled to lose a Superbowl.....No great superbowl champion backs ever did this......
You mean like Franco Harris and Terry Bradshaw? Three SB fumbles apiece, just so you know.

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 04:53 PM
You mean like Franco Harris and Terry Bradshaw? Three SB fumbles apiece, just so you know.
ZING!

PhantomJB93
02-07-2012, 05:04 PM
It's funny cause a year ago at this time (well, before SB45) anybody would have said Mendy was just fine and was not a first round bust.

He's still our best back physically, and has only really had one bad year (2011). He just needs to get his mental game back. Unfortunately this injury really complicates things so we might not get to see him try and bounce back before it's already too late.

wootawnee
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM

They never lost the game though.......

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 09:50 AM
The list of RB's is pretty deep on the market. However the teams issue is not Rb, its the Oline, doesnt matter whats behind the line if whats in front of the RB cant block.

ricardisimo
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
They never lost the game though.......
Not for a lack of trying. The Minnesota game was 9-6 with just over 3 minutes left to play. The other fumble fest, SB X, was as close as they come. That they did not lose either was the mark of a good team and great defenses. They arguably both would have been blowouts without the fumbles.

And if they had lost, would you say that Harris is not a "great Super Bowl Champion back" or Bradshaw not a "Championship QB"? No. It's a ridiculous statement. Judging Mendenhall on one play in a game that was clearly decided by Ben Roethlisberger is ridiculous.

Fire Arians
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
don't sleep on chad spann! lol