PDA

View Full Version : Time to draft a QB?

Truman_sparks
01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
If Kellen Moore is available in the 3rd round, I think I take him. The kids a winner, and has a lot of tools. Can he be a better backup to Ben, while sitting and learning for a few years?

At any rate, we need a better backup. Dixon should go......Charlie should retire.

zero1
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I think the 3rd round is to high to draft a backup for the next 3 or 4 years. I wouldn't take one above the 5th.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
To early. I like the idea, but realistically Ben will play another 5-6 years successfully. He was absolutely brilliant in the fourth, he didn't even seem hurt, it would be great to have a guy start training under him, but if we wait 5 years to get him in then we almost have to be drafting another guy by that time. Ben is great, the fourth quarter for him was impressive, and Batch plays great when he gets a chance. The coaching staff just needs to learn win to let Batch practice and play.

truesteelerfan
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I like Moore also, but not that high.

DanRooney
01-08-2012, 11:17 PM
To early. I like the idea, but realistically Ben will play another 5-6 years successfully. He was absolutely brilliant in the fourth, he didn't even seem hurt, it would be great to have a guy start training under him, but if we wait 5 years to get him in then we almost have to be drafting another guy by that time. Ben is great, the fourth quarter for him was impressive, and Batch plays great when he gets a chance. The coaching staff just needs to learn win to let Batch practice and play.

He played like horseshit and has since the 49ers game and I'm probably his biggest fan. He threw a terrible pass prior to the Cotchery TD that should have been picked. Then drove us backwards 20 yards with the game winning field goal 10 yards away.

Steelers17
01-08-2012, 11:22 PM
He played like horseshit and has since the 49ers game and I'm probably his biggest fan. He threw a terrible pass prior to the Cotchery TD that should have been picked. Then drove us backwards 20 yards with the game winning field goal 10 yards away.

:tt03:

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
The near INT was a bad throw, but everything else was great, especially with that bad ankle. I thought he played poorly in the first 3 quarters, but he played great in the 4th. Nobody else scrambles out and makes that throw to Cotchery other than Ben.

BlaZeQuietly
01-08-2012, 11:25 PM
This is not bens fault

Truman_sparks
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Didnt say it was. Ben is a warrior. But, when he goes down wouldn't it be nice to have a good young QB backing him up? Look at Green Bay. Heck, even the Jets have a guy like McIlroy on the roster. Having Batch and Leftwich just doesnt cut it.

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
I don't think we need to draft a QB to be a backup with Dixon and Leftwich, plus there are usually serviceable "backup QBs" that don't even get drafted, and we shouldn't draft one early "for the future" for at least 2-3 more years unless Ben warns beforehand that he thinks he will have to retire early from all the hits.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Lance Williams of Steel Curtain Radio said it best:

"Ball on Denver 45: Sack, Incomplete, Delay of Game. Completion, Sack No FG attempt Unacceptable. That's not Elite QB play. With a timeout, they get no more yards. Horrible. It's the little things."

sshuss
01-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Ben played his heart out he gave 100 percent maybe not his best game but he just went up another notch in my book... i didn't see pouncy out there when we needed him the most or hampton get back out there..i don't care how bad your high ankle sprain hurts i realize i center needs his legs but damn at least try after 3 weeks you've got the whole season to heal shoot it up and play like there's no tommorrow... who ever would think our toughess player would be a QB????

BleedPurple
01-09-2012, 01:41 AM

As I understand it vet qbs do not train rookies. It would be like you training someone you knew your company planned to replace you with.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Legursky had an AWFUL game today, snapping the ball over Ben's head in field goal range and not hearing Ben in the delay of game to snap the ball! Ben was clapping, stomping his feet and everything. Legursky had about, 5 high snaps today, and one over the head that cost us points. Pouncey MUST get that ankle right.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Ben played his heart out, Arians and the line just failed him.

Danny136200
01-09-2012, 03:07 AM
At first, I was like "This is nuts, NO", but then, I remembered that we do need a back up, as CB is going to retire soon and Dixon is a free agent this year (I think).

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Dennis Dixon is terrible.

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 03:49 AM
The near INT was a bad throw, but everything else was great, especially with that bad ankle. I thought he played poorly in the first 3 quarters, but he played great in the 4th. Nobody else scrambles out and makes that throw to Cotchery other than Ben.

Really? I would have sworn that timmy freaking tebow just made nearly that very same throw.

Gingerchip
01-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Yes, we should draft another good QB. I believe that the Pats drafted Brady when Bledsoe was at his prime..........and look what happened.

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Well, we're going to draft a QB this year, and you can take that to the bank. However, that's a function of Batch's age and Dixon being... well, Dixon. Has nothing to do with Ben.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Im not drafting a QB at all, Ben is 29? Solidify the Oline and Ben is here 8 more years.

Leftwhich isnt going anywhere. Plenty of juorney men QB's to get in a pinch.

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
As I understand it vet qbs do not train rookies. It would be like you training someone you knew your company planned to replace you with.

Actually that's the way it used to be done until we started giving players $50 million before they even took a snap.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Batch, as mentioned, is likely going to retire soon, and forget Dixon or Leftwich as anything.
we need to start looking for a "real" Ben future replacement.
We need a real top-notch QB foil for Ben,
The better of that duel, is our QB, the latter becomes our backup hopefully.
IMHO, Ben, might have 2, or 3 years more, at the most, unless of course His injuries' become too un-surmountable.
and pleeeez, NO MORE of thess obviously ridiculous and draining QB salaries to start out with !
NO More PRE-Madonna PAYcheques.
Let our QB "EARN" his rightful salay.

BritishSteel
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Batch is going to be retired sooner rather than later, I doubt that Dixon stays (though I'm not sure there'd be much interest in him on the free agency circuit). That leaves Ben and Leftwich. I think it's almost a certainty they look at a project QB later in the draft.

GMU Steeler
01-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Maybe draft another project QB. Anyhow, Batch is done soon perhaps this year even. I'd look at a backup in a similar position that Charlie was when we signed him years ago. Not big on Leftwich- immobile and easily injured. Dixon has some potential but I don't think it will be here.

Jeeptj12
01-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I think Dixon could be a hot commodity with Miami having some success with options and now Broncos with Tebow. Dixon is that style quarterback. I always thought the Steelers should use him accordingly every once in awhile. To me, we never use our speed as weapons enough. Of course that goes back to Arians. Anyone hearing a broken record?