PDA

View Full Version : Lack of sack/turnovers

Truman_sparks
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
For me. the biggest problem this year - and this game - was the lack of sacks and pressure on the QB. The sacks were WAY down this year, as were the turnovers. Opposing QB's stood like statues all year picking apart our zone defenses. Heck, they made Tebow look like Dan Marino or Dan Fouts!

Is it the scheme, aging players, injuries???

GMU Steeler
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Not sure. I saw that we had a bit of drops. Troy for example had only two picks all year. He usually has more than that and in one game alone I saw him drop two potential picks. I think part of it was plain shitty luck. You don't have a highly ranked D like we did and not get those picks. We need to improve defensively obviously but sometimes the law of averages needs to be on your side and in this season it wasn't unfortunately.

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Our 3 best pass rushers were in and out all year, Keisel, Harrison, and Woodley. This is the first game since Houston that we have had Harrison and Woodley playing healthy, and we happened to lose Keisel in the middle of it. I think our blitzes our getting read better as a whole, but the main point was injuries and a lack of intensity.

Walt
01-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I agree that while this defense was statistically the best in the league (thanks to a schedule full of bad offensive teams)... they weren't really a "good" defense because they didn't create turnovers and/or have game changing plays. As others on this board have mentioned, that's in part due to a lack of consistent pressure on the QB.

To your question... is it scheme, age, or injury... It's a little bit of all of it.

A lot of our "regular" opponents have figured out our scheme. And with more teams running a 3-4 now than in years past, in general NFL offenses have adjusted to deal with it.

And... the aging players have lost a step. Farrior is a shell of his former self. Harrison (whether it's age or injury) isn't what he used to be.

And finally... injuries are/were the nail in the coffin. Woodley was on a team record setting pace for sacks when he pulled his hammy.. and has been a non-factor since. Harrison, Smith, Keisel, etc.... injuries factored in too.

GMU Steeler
Our 3 best pass rushers were in and out all year, Keisel, Harrison, and Woodley. This is the first game since Houston that we have had Harrison and Woodley playing healthy, and we happened to lose Keisel in the middle of it. I think our blitzes our getting read better as a whole, but the main point was injuries and a lack of intensity.

I hadn't thought about that but not having Woodley and Harrison healthy most of the year definitely impacted the team when it came to that.

NoFieldFive
Harrison and Woodley each had a couple monster games. take those away and production was not much. they both either had great games or very quiet games. of course they each missed time this year too.....

tanda10506
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah, most of the season, they only played 3 real games together, and Keisel was out a few of them. I agree as mentioned earlier though, I've been saying all season, the defense didn't pass the eye test. The pressure was never there and the turnovers were never there. Due to injury or not, the results are losses, and that's what happened. We have to make a few turnovers when it matters and get our guys healthy and we will be okay.

NoFieldFive
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
we played some very weak offensive oppenents. other teams were getting many sacks and turnovers against these teams and we often struggled to even get one sack.

Ravens had 8 or 9 sack against the 49ers'. we had zero.

Tebow's been sacked and picked like crazy and we don't touch him....except for Harrison's late hit call.

Truman_sparks
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Exactly......we don't have the horses. I look at Bal, SF,NYG etc and they have beasts terrorizing QB's. All Harrison does is take those wide rushes trying to get outside the LT, and he's not getting there. We need to improve there!

CaliStillersFan
01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Sacks and Turnovers??? I think I remember those terms, not quite sure what they look like though.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Exactly......we don't have the horses. I look at Bal, SF,NYG etc and they have beasts terrorizing QB's. All Harrison does is take those wide rushes trying to get outside the LT, and he's not getting there. We need to improve there!

Harrison is a beast, he is held 90% of the time. Woodley was playing great before the injury. The game plan today was containment. Polamalu got the job done well, but didn't play like himself and Ike can't catch period. Hopefully next year we are healthy and can get turnovers again.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Woodley had 4 great games, 4 games were he played like an asshole (especially the Texan game), and about 8 games where he was injured or 'too fatigued' to play. Thank god for Jason Worilds though.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Agreed, im optimistic of Worilds, hopefully he will replace Harrison when the time comes, definetly not in a hurry for #92 to retire.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Harrison is a beast, he is held 90% of the time.

Nope. He gives the impression that he's held because he runs low around the DEs but they don't hold him.
Harrison always tries to go outside and it doesn't work anymore. It's time for new blood.