PDA

View Full Version : Got Rain??

Ambridge
06-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing but on and off waves of torrential rain in the D.C. Metro Area for the last day and half and it doesn't look like it's going to stop for another day or so.
The better part of 5 inches of rain has fallen since yesterday.

It gets pretty boring in the summertime when you can't do anything outside.

Blitzburgh55
06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Its the same here in phila

ARKIESTEEL
06-27-2006, 12:28 PM
We sure could use some if you would send it this way

SteelerzGirl
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
It's been humid and raining buckets in Cambria County, PA, too, and I'm having bad hair days. :frown:

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
weather in the southwest is wierd. the same storm that is hitting you on the east coast, and was flooding ohio, hit us last wednesday. our ANNUAL rainfall is less than 4 inches/ per year. that afternoon it dropped 4 inches on us in 30 minutes. my town is less than 5 miles wide. it sprinkled for about 5 minutes on my side and flooded the other half. ive never seen a flood situation before, but it was pretty gnarly. there were cars being washed down one street. the mess was so bad they actually declared a state of emergency which has never happened here.

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Its blue sky and 90 degrees in Seattle. But we are the ones who are always getting told that it never stops raining out here.:rolleyes:

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
The Rains are on and it doesn't beat flooding watches

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Its blue sky and 90 degrees in Seattle. But we are the ones who are always getting told that it never stops raining out here.:rolleyes: well its about time you share. weve been in a drought for.....well, forever. its the desert. but its been horrible the last 2 years.

i dont know if you know about this thing called "watering your lawn", but here we have watering days. you get one day a week to "water your lawn". if you get caught watering when its not your day you get a ticket and $500 fine.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
That's what I call a Bullshit fine TH

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
It's rained here Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now Tuesday....we were at work watchin the weather channel (I work at an outdoor cafe so our money depends on good weather) and they had a 5 day forecast and it was all T-storms and we were like "What the f*ck, they gonna predict 6 days of thunderstorms and then on the 7th day the apocolypse!" Apparently we have to boil our water too because somethin spilled, and we needed rain to fix a drought situation....w.e just make it sunny and dry when I work.

BuFu

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 01:04 PM
well its about time you share. weve been in a drought for.....well, forever. its the desert. but its been horrible the last 2 years.

i dont know if you know about this thing called "watering your lawn", but here we have watering days. you get one day a week to "water your lawn". if you get caught watering when its not your day you get a ticket and $500 fine.
Why would people water their lawn?

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM

It's just a lil thing people do in areas where it doesn't rain 360 days of the year. Lol.

BuFu

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
:toofunny: i thought not.

so we can have something to mow like normal people!

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 01:21 PM
It's rainin in Harriburg right now!

BuFu

Edit: scratch that......it's pourin now!

X-Terminator
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Here in the 'Burgh, they'd been predicting all-day rain for the past 3 days, and we're finally getting it now. Up until now we were getting stray showers and storms here and there. I feel for the people in VA, MD and eastern PA though with all the flooding they're having right now.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
It's rained here Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now Tuesday....we were at work watchin the weather channel (I work at an outdoor cafe so our money depends on good weather) and they had a 5 day forecast and it was all T-storms and we were like "What the f*ck, they gonna predict 6 days of thunderstorms and then on the 7th day the apocolypse!" Apparently we have to boil our water too because somethin spilled, and we needed rain to fix a drought situation....w.e just make it sunny and dry when I work.

BuFu

don't you guys have something indoors or is purely outdoors.

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
It's just a lil thing people do in areas where it doesn't rain 360 days of the year. Lol.

BuFu
Truth is we do water out lawns in July and August most years if we want to keep it green. Most people don't have irrigation and just let it go brown and dormant. Then its back in business by October.

Shockingly, we occassionally have had water retrictions as well. Our summer water supply comes almost entirely from snow melt in the Cascades. Every once in a while, especially in El Nino years, California steals our jet stream during the winter. They get rained on a lot, we hardly get any snow. And our resoviours go low. But it almost always goes back up the next winter.

Funny thing about our weather and stadiums. We are actually amongst the driest areas in the US during the summer; we don't get the afternoon showers and thunderstorms like a lot of the US. But we are obviously about the wettest place in the late fall and winter.
So how do we respond? We build a retractable roof for our baseball team inspite of our dry winter, and we leave the football stadium open when it tends to rain more.....:dang:

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
don't you guys have something indoors or is purely outdoors.

We have three small tables inside the Clubhouse building but they are rarely ever used. The buildin isn't big enough to host multiple tables inside. 98% of our business is servin customers on the deck and by the pool. So if it rains, we're screwed. It is a nice place to eat on a nice day though. There are trees that provide ample shade for the deck and it's behind the hotel so it's very quiet and peaceful. Here's a link to the website for the Hotel Hershey and the Clubhouse Cafe and Creamery. I can tell they haven't updated the Clubhouse page in a long while. Our prices have gone up since they were posted on that page and our deck has more tables and we have green umbrellas. I don't know it if would be work takin pics of the place I doubt if there is interest.

Clubhouse Cafe and Creamery Page (http://www.hersheypa.com/dining/clubhouse.html)
The Hotel Hershey Page (http://www.hersheypa.com/accommodations/the_hotel_hershey/index.html)

Truth is we do water out lawns in July and August most years if we want to keep it green. Most people don't have irrigation and just let it go brown and dormant. Then its back in business by October.

Shockingly, we occassionally have had water retrictions as well. Our summer water supply comes almost entirely from snow melt in the Cascades. Every once in a while, especially in El Nino years, California steals our jet stream during the winter. They get rained on a lot, we hardly get any snow. And our resoviours go low. But it almost always goes back up the next winter.

Funny thing about our weather and stadiums. We are actually amongst the driest areas in the US during the summer; we don't get the afternoon showers and thunderstorms like a lot of the US. But we are obviously about the wettest place in the late fall and winter.
So how do we respond? We build a retractable roof for our baseball team inspite of our dry winter, and we leave the football stadium open when it tends to rain more.....:dang:

So does it snow a lot in the winter in Seattle, or only in the Cascades? That is the typical irony when it comes to beauracracy. Maybe after the fiasco that was the Kingdome the gov't and architects didn't want to risk another dome when they built Qwest field.

BuFu

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
We've had extreme drought conditions on th Gulf Coast.

Katrina & Rita probably account for 75% of the rain the past 12 months.

When/why did you have your username changed? Jw.

BuFu

ARKIESTEEL
06-27-2006, 03:37 PM
I dont care about my lawn but my cows need something to eat.

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I dont care about my lawn but my cows need something to eat.

Cows: "MOOOOO!"

Say hi to Bessie for me.

(Sorry, I've always wanted a cow named Bessie for some reason. I ain't tryin to make fun.)

BuFu

ARKIESTEEL
06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry they all just have # but i can call one besty if it makes you happy

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Sorry they all just have # but i can call one besty if it makes you happy

Lol. Works for me man. I don't want to mess up your operation though, I was just makin a dumb*ass, bored comment.

BuFu

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Couple days ago...the reason was my username was outdated.

"Bestbank Tiger" had been my online identity since the spring of 1999. It refers to the West Bank (of the Mississippi River) in New Orleans, where we had a saying "The West Bank is the best bank". Tiger refers to LSU, where I went to graduate school.

Since I no longer live in New Orleans, I'd been looking for a new online identity. I picked the Godfather because I'm partly of Italian descent and I'm godfather to my 1 1/2 year old niece. (Unfortunately the priest who performed the baptism was a casualty of Katrina.)

I kept my beagle as my avatar so people wouldn't get confused.

Oh, aiight. Just curious. I was a lil confused for a min when I saw the new name but then I figured it must still be you since it was the same beagle....although where did the BlackNGold dogs go? Lol. I'm sorry to hear about the priest. Congrats on your goddaughter, I'm sure you'll make a great godparent

Update on Rain: Since this is a rain based thread here is the current update on central Pennsylvania.

It's still rainin ::swearin:: and it is not supposed to clear up until Thursday. The Susquehanna River is supposed to go above 25.1 ft by Thursday night (17 ft is flood stage) and this will shut down many low lyin areas from Front Street all the way back to Sixth the length of the city (Front street and 6th both parallel the river). Since my water pumpin station is on 6th street this means that we already have a boil water advisary and by Thursday night may have no water at all. Cameron Street is also expected to flood (road farther back but in a low lyin area of the city where there used to be multiple industrial buildings connected by a canal that is presumed to flood as well). The rest of the area from York to Hershey to Newport (York county, Dauphin county, Perry county respectively) have been experiencin flash floods and floods of creeks that are washin out backyards, streets, sidewalks, and a mailbox. It may be interestin for me to try to get to/come home from work on Thursday as I cannot get to Hershey without crossin what will prolly be the flooded Swatara Creek. In one route, a back road, Route 39 there is a low lyin bridge surrounded by low lyin fields that will most likely be flooded and closed by Thursday if not already. The main freeway into Hershey from Harrisburg, Route 322 also crosses the creek on a higher bridge but dependin on how high the water rises it also may be shut down....so as you can see this situation has gone to shit in the past few days thanks to all the damn rain. Maybe I was right, it rains for 6 days and on the 7th is the apocalypse. Lol. I hope not, we'll prolly just become New Orleans, but that's not much better. I'll keep you all updated, let me know how your part of the world is doin. Peace.

BuFu

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Wow, I'm impressed that you remember the black and gold dogs.

They'll be back. I took that picture down because I decided it was too big, but I'll get another one.

Those two are my parents' dogs. The black one is a nine year old Lab mix and the yellow one is a five year old pound puppy. They also have my beagle's sister, who needs to be worked in somehow.

Of course I'ma remember the BlackNGold dogs. That pic always made me smile because the dogs looked so happy to see you! Lol. They are all are cute dogs. I used to have a dog, but she passed a few years ago at the age of 16. Now I have three cats, they are fun but there is somethin about a dogs nature that is fun unlike a cat. I look forward to seein what sig you can incorporate wit them. Peace.

BuFu

Mosca
06-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I just drove home in the rain. Rt 309 from Tunkhannock to Dallas (PA) runs alongside Bowman's Creek, and it was mostly under about 2 inches off water, with a few places where it was running across the road up to 8 inches deep! It took 90 minutes for what is typically a 45 minute drive. I've driven in whiteout snowstorms that were less nerve-wracking.

We've had 3.66" today, on top of 3" yesterday and Sunday. The Susquehanna river is going to crest at Tunkhannock about 1/2" below the '72 Agnes flood level. We spent this evening moving the cars to higher ground and raising the computer towers onto the desks, and making sure important documents were on the upper floors. Tomorrow is going to suck.

Lookout downstream, HburgXL06!

Tom

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I just drove home in the rain. Rt 309 from Tunkhannock to Dallas (PA) runs alongside Bowman's Creek, and it was mostly under about 2 inches off water, with a few places where it was running across the road up to 8 inches deep! It took 90 minutes for what is typically a 45 minute drive. I've driven in whiteout snowstorms that were less nerve-wracking.

We've had 3.66" today, on top of 3" yesterday and Sunday. The Susquehanna river is going to crest at Tunkhannock about 1/2" below the '72 Agnes flood level. We spent this evening moving the cars to higher ground and raising the computer towers onto the desks, and making sure important documents were on the upper floors. Tomorrow is going to suck.

Lookout downstream, HburgXL06!

Tom

Thanks for the update! Yea, I know Harrisburg is gonna get hit hard. I was watchin the weather and we are watchin the rain around the river because anythin comin from up there is gonna just add more to what we have down here. I haven't driven in the rain thank God but I can only imagine what some of the roads around here look like.

BuFu

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Its raining right now were I live. Hell on earth Michigan City, IN. Trust me its hell with all these Peyton Manning lovers. They drive me nuts.

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Its raining right now were I live. Hell on earth Michigan City, IN. Trust me its hell with all these Peyton Manning lovers. They drive me nuts.lol. so is it raining, or the colts lovers still crying?

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
lol. so is it raining, or the colts lovers still crying?

The reason we've been gettin so much rain is because the colts lovers are still cryin, and now that they lost Edge James they have even more reason to cry since their team has now become 1 dimensional.

BuFu

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
So does it snow a lot in the winter in Seattle, or only in the Cascades? That is the typical irony when it comes to beauracracy. Maybe after the fiasco that was the Kingdome the gov't and architects didn't want to risk another dome when they built Qwest field.

BuFu
It rarely snows in Seattle. When it does it hardly sticks. We have so much ocean water ti regulates the temperture and it rarely gets below freezing. So I would say we get snow that sticks overnight about 2-3 times a winter and it is usually slush by 10AM. Every few years we'll get snow that will stick around for a few days. But you can drive 30 minutes out of town and be up thousands of feet in the Cascades. When all our moisture meets the cold inland air on the other side of the mountains, we get a lot of snow. The Mt. Baker ski resort set a world record for snow fall a few years back with over 1100 inches!

But when it does snow, people freak out and don't know how to drive. The news goes into crisis mode and gives names to the little snow storm like ARTIC BLAST 2006!!!! People either don' go to work or ride the bus. And people forget that 4 wheel drive doesn't help much when you are braking.

Regarding the stadiums... And reagrding the football stadium. People definately wanted it to be open air. Orginally they were pushing for real grass. But then the Hawks played at Husky stadium after the Kindome got blown up and they decided that they liked the new fangled artifical stuff better. So they installed that instead. People didn't want another dome, but I bet there are a few who want a retractrable roof. Oddly enough, it has only rained 3-4 times on a gameday since it opened. They have been lucky.

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 09:09 PM
It rarely snows in Seattle. When it does it hardly sticks. We have so much ocean water ti regulates the temperture and it rarely gets below freezing. So I would say we get snow that sticks overnight about 2-3 times a winter and it is usually slush by 10AM. Every few years we'll get snow that will stick around for a few days. But you can drive 30 minutes out of town and be up thousands of feet in the Cascades. When all our moisture meets the cold inland air on the other side of the mountains, we get a lot of snow. The Mt. Baker ski resort set a world record for snow fall a few years back with over 1100 inches!

But when it does snow, people freak out and don't know how to drive. The news goes into crisis mode and gives names to the little snow storm like ARTIC BLAST 2006!!!! People either don' go to work or ride the bus. And people forget that 4 wheel drive doesn't help much when you are braking.

. very similar to southern nm actually. although we have to drive 45 min to reach our 11,000 snow capped peak. (of course nm is pretty much all 3000 ft above sea level anyways) sierra blanca (white mountain if youre up on your espagnol) is the finest, southernmost ski resort in america. the mountain has been white for atleast 3 months out of the year for years (except for last year) definitely wierd. as a kid we used to get alteast one 4" snow every year that would take a day to melt. not no more.

it did prevent thousands of texans from invading out land for holiday vacations which is always a good thing.

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 09:15 PM
very similar to southern nm actually. although we have to drive 45 min to reach our 11,000 snow capped peak. (of course nm is pretty much all 3000 ft above sea level anyways) sierra blanca (white mountain if youre up on your espagnol) is the finest, southernmost ski resort in america. the mountain has been white for atleast 3 months out of the year for years (except for last year) definitely wierd. as a kid we used to get alteast one 4" snow every year that would take a day to melt. not no more.

it did prevent thousands of texans from invading out land for holiday vacations which is always a good thing.
Its funny to me that you live in the southwest. I guess I assumed from your avatar that you must live in Pittsburgh. Its funny how you make assumptions about people in these forums and then you find out your picture is all wrong.

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Regarding the stadiums... And reagrding the football stadium. People definately wanted it to be open air. Orginally they were pushing for real grass. But then the Hawks played at Husky stadium after the Kindome got blown up and they decided that they liked the new fangled artifical stuff better. So they installed that instead. People didn't want another dome, but I bet there are a few who want a retractrable roof. Oddly enough, it has only rained 3-4 times on a gameday since it opened. They have been lucky.

Lol. Yea, you guys have a huge mountain right behind the city so you don't have to go far to get snow. I can understand your sentiment with the whole "not much snow but very much panic reaction" type feelin. It's like that in Delaware where I go to school. If they get two inches the place goes wild, if they get 6 inches the place shuts down. In Harrisburg we get snow like that we keep on goin and think people in Delaware are sissies, but then again there are people in NY that get more snow than we do off of Lake Erie and think we are sissies for how we react to our snow acculmulation. I like snow, especially when it's really cold in the winter because to me it seems there's no point in bein cold if there is no snow.

As far as the dome goes, yea it sounds like they have been lucky. I haven't looked at the design of Qwest field too hard but it seemed as though the slopin curves on both sides of the stadium would allow some sort of conversion for a roof. But then again to re-engineer that after the stadium has been built would prolly cost too much time and money. What is the artificial stuff like at Qwest? I think most prefer real grass but I know the artificial stuff has improved a lot over astroturf. I hated the Steelers/colts game when whenever a player walked/fell/ran you could see black chips flyin up.....WTF. Lol. Thanks for the info though man. I enjoy hearin bout different places. Peace.

BuFu

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Its funny to me that you live in the southwest. I guess I assumed from your avatar that you must live in Pittsburgh. Its funny how you make assumptions about people in these forums and then you find out your picture is all wrong. nope. i just love pittsburgh (in the summer anyways) and have half my family there. id probably die there in the winter. then again alot might die in arizona or nm in the middle of summer if they werent used to the heat. (yuma az is great on new years when its 90 degrees). i spent several years in tucson where 115 degrees was the norm in the summer. (actually i only remember 6" once or twice in the last 20 years, but a few years ago our mountain had a good 70"base)

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
nope. i just love pittsburgh (in the summer anyways) and have half my family there. id probably die there in the winter. then again alot might die in arizona or nm in the middle of summer if they werent used to the heat. (yuma az is great on new years when its 90 degrees). i spent several years in tucson where 115 degrees was the norm in the summer. (actually i only remember 6" once or twice in the last 20 years, but a few years ago our mountain had a good 70"base)

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnn!

BuFu

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Lol. Yea, you guys have a huge mountain right behind the city so you don't have to go far to get snow. I can understand your sentiment with the whole "not much snow but very much panic reaction" type feelin. It's like that in Delaware where I go to school. If they get two inches the place goes wild, if they get 6 inches the place shuts down. In Harrisburg we get snow like that we keep on goin and think people in Delaware are sissies, but then again there are people in NY that get more snow than we do off of Lake Erie and think we are sissies for how we react to our snow acculmulation. I like snow, especially when it's really cold in the winter because to me it seems there's no point in bein cold if there is no snow.

As far as the dome goes, yea it sounds like they have been lucky. I haven't looked at the design of Qwest field too hard but it seemed as though the slopin curves on both sides of the stadium would allow some sort of conversion for a roof. But then again to re-engineer that after the stadium has been built would prolly cost too much time and money. What is the artificial stuff like at Qwest? I think most prefer real grass but I know the artificial stuff has improved a lot over astroturf. I hated the Steelers/colts game when whenever a player walked/fell/ran you could see black chips flyin up.....WTF. Lol. Thanks for the info though man. I enjoy hearin bout different places. Peace.

BuFu

Yeah, there isn't going to a a roof put on the stadium. Not on the tax payer's dime anyway. We have reached a stadium funding fatigue out here. (Don't tell that to the Sonics though)

The artificial turf has a design that makes ot so the blades are realy resiliant and don't pack down in high use areas. I think that they are filled with a mixture of sand and rubber. The rubber is prolly the stuff you see flying around.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I live in Salisbury Maryland........It has raind here for the last week

Mosca
06-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Update on NE PA & the Poconos:

The road I drove home on is washed out, and I can't get to woirk today. Lower Wilkes-Barre is flooded, and I-81 is closed for 45 miles from just north of Scranton to the NY border due to mud and rock slides. THere are bridges washed out in several areas, and cars underwater in Mocanaqua, Nescopeck, Nanticoke, and Plymouth, all of which are small towns along the river. The Lackawanna River in Old Forge has already overflowed its banks.

The river crest won't actually happen until 2AM Thursday morning; it is predicted to crest at 42 to 44 feet at Meshoppen, about the same level as the Hurricane Agnes flood that devastated eastern and central PA in 1972. There are mandatory evacuations for people upriver who were affected in '72; further downriver evacuations are voluntary. The dikes are expected to prevent flooding in most of Wilkes-Barre and Kingston. Crest in Wilkes-Barre/Kingston is expected to be 38 feet (the river is wider there), the same as '72, but flood stage is something like 41 feet because of the dikes.

Although everyone is watching the river, the real problems are the creeks and small streams. NE PA is a lot like southern Allegheny and Washington counties, small towns in rural areas with lots of woodlands and streams, and runoff from hills and mountains crossing roads to get to those streams. These streams have overflowed their banks everywhere.

For those who are interested, here is a link to local news:

http://www.wnep.com/Global/category.asp?C=13467&nav=menu158_1

Check out the slide show, pictures sent in by people around the area over the last day or two.

Tom

HburgXL06
06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Update on Harrisburg:

The horrible rain hath stopped for now and the area is recoverin. As I said before Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area about 2 hours northeast of me got hit the worst. There there were bridges washed out, people on roofs waitin to be rescued, streets into rivers...you can't imagine.

Gettin to work today was a b*tch. For those that don't know, I work in Hershey, PA (as in Hershey's Chocolate) and I live in Harrisburg. It's about a half hour between the two dependin on traffic. From my house there are two main routes between the two areas, one is the highway and the other a back road wit both havin their lil side routes to get around anythin if need be. All of that with floodin it came that there is only one route between the two places which is the freeway. All other routes and side roads were flooded. 322 was backed up for miles and I was able to get around some of it but I still was late. The other routes the water was at the level of the road on both bridges and the surroundin areas were covered. One area it literally looked like a lake that had some trees poppin out and a bridge too (the water covered the road all around the bridge). the river is only around 19 ft (flood stage is 17) but it supposed to rain more this weekend....f*ck.

For those interested I'm lookin up different views. I found one vid of the Swatara Creek which is the one I was referrin to that closed the one way for me to get to work. It's route 39.

Swatara Creek Flooding (http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0606/340193.html)
^Above link: This is in Hershey, PA right down the street from where I work. That was the scene I saw while drivin on Hersheypark Drive to work this morning. Derry Twp. just means Hershey police since there technically isn't a "Hershey, PA." You can't even see in the vid how far the floodwaters go!

Susquehanna River Flooding (http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0606/340183.html)
^Flooding in Harrisburg

Harrisburg and West Shore Flooding (http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0606/340375.html)
^In this vid it shows the Susquehanna but not City Island which is completely covered! There's a baseball stadium and a bunch of other things on the island so it has a lot of importance. When the reporter is talkin you see the bank of the river behind him. What you don't see is that the bank has a sidewalk about ten feet wide at the bottom and 14 steps down to finally meet the river where its normal level is.

Webcam views of Harrisburg (http://www2.abc27.com/news/trafficcams.hrb)
^Different Traffic views of Harrisburg. Only one that is important is the bottom right that says "Downtown Harrisburg." Right now they have it positioned lookin out to City Island in the middle of the river. You can see the beach house (there's a concrete beach on the north side of the island) and the trees on the island stickin up. It's all I can find of City Island flooded right now.

The floodwaters are supposed to recede by Friday night. We got off easy.

There's the update! Peace.

BuFu

blackvelvet
06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Ack! It's been on again off again here. Just today, we thought "Let's go to the pool!" At that time it was nice, sunny, warm. We get there, it starts pouring down rain. Now it's sunny and calm

ARKIESTEEL
06-30-2006, 06:11 AM
We been 13 days without rain the cows look a little hot and cranky

HburgXL06
06-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I was listenin to the news last night on TV. Apparently even wit all this rain my area is still under "drought conditions." WTF, I hate that, we flooded for christ's sake and we still are in a drought? ::swearin::

BuFu

Mosca
06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Actually, MOST of Wilkes-Barre got nothing. I was down there on Wednesday and drove through twice yesterday. For most of the flood plain, the flood walls on top of the levees held. Water got to within a couple feet of the top. There were some areas along Solomon's Creek that were flooded pretty bad, and in the non-levee areas there was extensive flooding, but most of the area escaped OK.

The worst hit areas were: Bloomsburg in central PA, the town is underwater; upriver from WIlkes-Barre in Meshoppen, Mehoopany, and parts of Tunkhannock, where overflowing streams wiped out bridges and many acres of crops; and in Easton and New Hope, where large areas of the towns were flooded, especially the tourist town of New Hope, hit right before the holiday.

I drive through the farmlands around Tunkhannock on the way to and from work every day. There are acres and acres of fields that are either knee deep in silt or completely underwater. I'll take a camera to work tomorrow and post some pictures.

Tom