PDA

View Full Version : Where this season was lost (In my humble opinion...)

saveus1011
01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
San Francisco.

Ravens were just dominated the night before. The fate of the AFC Playoffs are in your hands, and you come out with that.

I'm not trying to bring back debate on the game itself necessarily, but more when reality settled in about when this season took a turn for the worse.

This team showed it's identity - it was 2007/2009 all over. Really hot run, beat teams you're supposed to, heartbreaking losses and just fizzled out in the postseason.

Just few thoughts for now. I didn't cry as bad as I did in February (which BTW, I really hate Green Bay after yesterday) but I was balling for all of us yesterday.

OX1947
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
92 yards to Joe Flacco was when the Steelers lost offically.

saveus1011
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I actually think the zebras had more to do with that.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Losing to the Ravens at home sealed our fate. Losing to SFO was not an anomaly, IMO, even if we could have won this game. We can't lose twice to the Ravens, period.

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
92 yards to Joe Flacco was when the Steelers lost offically.

This is where we lost it and not because of the refs.

FanSince72
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
This season was lost because we don't have a secondary and we can't stop a team on a third-and-a-bunch.
And it wasn't just yesterday -- it's been like that for the last few years and THAT falls on LeBeau.

This is a passing league and virtually every team has adopted some type of west-coast offense that features quick passes. But for some reason, year after year we keep drafting D-linemen or linebackers and we focus on "zone-blitzes and the fabled "pass rush". A pass rush is fine against a team with a drop-back passing game, but that is fast becoming a dinosaur. The truth is that today, most passing attacks consist of quick little one or two-step "drops" and there isn't a pass rush or zone-blitz in the world fast enough to do anything about that because the ball is gone in less than 2 seconds.

What we should have been doing for the last few years was easing off on the heavy-duty "front seven" and instead working on improving the "Back-four". In fact, I think a case could be made to basically back off on the whole blitz thing and focus on speed and agility in the backfield rather than bulk on the D-line.

Every team still needs some type of pass rush, but not nearly as much as they used to and the emphasis today is on pass coverage -- especially the quick stuff.

LeBeau just doesn't seem to get that and every year we hear all the commentators wax poetic about him being the creator of the "Zone-blitz" and I'll bet that when the mic's are turned off they all look at each other and add: "For all the good it does these days".

It's time to move this team into the 21st Century and stop setting up a defense that's geared towards a game that isn't being played anymore and if LeBeau can't do that, then it's time to find someone who can.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
yep, Hands down, it was in that 49'ers game.
ohhh ya, all downhill after that,
(except, of course, for that 27 - 0 shutout that Batch was QB in)

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
the season was lost in the cleveland game where ben and pouncey's seasons were pretty much over

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 12:19 PM
This season was lost because we don't have a secondary and we can't stop a team on a third-and-a-bunch.
And it wasn't just yesterday -- it's been like that for the last few years and THAT falls on LeBeau.

This is a passing league and virtually every team has adopted some type of west-coast offense that features quick passes. But for some reason, year after year we keep drafting D-linemen or linebackers and we focus on "zone-blitzes and the fabled "pass rush". A pass rush is fine against a team with a drop-back passing game, but that is fast becoming a dinosaur. The truth is that today, most passing attacks consist of quick little one or two-step "drops" and there isn't a pass rush or zone-blitz in the world fast enough to do anything about that because the ball is gone in less than 2 seconds.

What we should have been doing for the last few years was easing off on the heavy-duty "front seven" and instead working on improving the "Back-four". In fact, I think a case could be made to basically back off on the whole blitz thing and focus on speed and agility in the backfield rather than bulk on the D-line.

Every team still needs some type of pass rush, but not nearly as much as they used to and the emphasis today is on pass coverage -- especially the quick stuff.

LeBeau just doesn't seem to get that and every year we hear all the commentators wax poetic about him being the creator of the "Zone-blitz" and I'll bet that when the mic's are turned off they all look at each other and add: "For all the good it does these days".

It's time to move this team into the 21st Century and stop setting up a defense that's geared towards a game that isn't being played anymore and if LeBeau can't do that, then it's time to find someone who can.

There is a lot of truth in this statement. I put this at the feet of Tomlin though. He is the HC & is tasked with making the necessary personnel or scheme adjustments to compete. What concerns me is that Tomlin is a secondary guy & yet, our secondary has been the least addressed & most suspect aspect of our defense since he arrived.

I hope we change philosophies & focus on the secondary next year.

Whodis
01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
yesterdays game was lost on a 3rd and 12 that gave Tebow all the confidence he needed. This team needs to remember how to blitz or just watch tapes of the Ravens.

The offense needs a change at OC, that way I don't have to write all the shit wrong with it.

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
yesterdays game was lost on a 3rd and 12 that gave Tebow all the confidence he needed. This team needs to remember how to blitz or just watch tapes of the Ravens.

The offense needs a change at OC, that way I don't have to write all the shit wrong with it.

If the defense, as it is currently schemed & constructed, is unable to get a consistent pass rush then it all fails. Ike Taylor, though slightly over-rated, is capable of covering one-on-one for a limited time. He actually played decent coverage on a couple of the long plays, but with 4 1/2 weeks to throw the ball, the QB will fins somebody open.

FanSince72
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
There is a lot of truth in this statement. I put this at the feet of Tomlin though. He is the HC & is tasked with making the necessary personnel or scheme adjustments to compete. What concerns me is that Tomlin is a secondary guy & yet, our secondary has been the least addressed & most suspect aspect of our defense since he arrived.

I hope we change philosophies & focus on the secondary next year.

Doesn't it puzzle you even more that LeBeau himself was a cornerback and part of a secondary that (in its day) was considered the best in the NFL?

TRH
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
before i even opened up this thread.........i said to myself "San Francisco". Thats where it all went to pieces.

That game.....San Fran's defense was literally foaming at the mouth, jumping up and down, growling, high-fiving each other, psyched to the moon. And their coach was all over the field and bench.

In contrast...i looked at our team on the other side. Defense just kind of standing around, hanging out, in between plays. Coach on the sidelines looking like a zombie. No emotion at all. Looked they all were ready to take a nap.

Thats a big difference, my friends. I knew right then and there that not only we would not get far....but there's a serious attitude lacking around here....the only attitude i see is complacency.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
You say it's San Francisco but everybody is forgetting HOW we got to San Francisco and those nasty decisions we had to make because of what I'm about to say.

The Cleveland Browns. That Thursday night matchup was our season. Cleveland took out Maurkice Pouncey AND Ben Roethlisberger with high ankle sprains. Because of those injuries, we came out with flat tires since and because of that night, that played into the decisions of what we had to do going into San Francisco. THEN, Mendenhall blows a knee, IN Cleveland.

Cleveland put the damper on our 2011 campaign.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
You say it's San Francisco but everybody is forgetting HOW we got to San Francisco and those nasty decisions we had to make because of what I'm about to say.

The Cleveland Browns. That Thursday night matchup was our season. Cleveland took out Maurkice Pouncey AND Ben Roethlisberger with high ankle sprains. Because of those injuries, we came out with flat tires since and because of that night, that played into the decisions of what we had to do going into San Francisco. THEN, Mendenhall blows a knee, IN Cleveland.

I've noticed over the years, most of our bad injuries come from playing cleveland for some reason.

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Doesn't it puzzle you even more that LeBeau himself was a cornerback and part of a secondary that (in its day) was considered the best in the NFL?

Yep.. Hadn't even thought of LeBeau's history at CB. Maybe they think that, because of their experience, they can "coach-up" average CBs to be effective. I think it's time to find a true shut-down CB or two.

FanSince72
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM

OK, let's go down that road...

Ben's and Pouncey's injuries were not mysteries and thus unknown to the coaching staff. Everyone in America knew about them.
So why was Ben playing AT ALL in ANY of those last three games?

We were already in the playoffs before the San Fran game even started and if Tomlin had half a brain he would have forgotten about this whole "bye-week / 1-seed" crap and sat Ben for the next three games as well as sitting Pouncey and anyone else who was really banged up. The absolute worst thing that could have come from that would have been a 6-seed instead of the 5-seed we ended up with.

Doing that would have been the equivalent of a THREE WEEK BYE for Ben and the rest of the walking wounded, all of whom would have been in far better health by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Win the battle, or win the war?

saveus1011
01-09-2012, 02:27 PM
OK, let's go down that road...

Ben's and Pouncey's injuries were not mysteries and thus unknown to the coaching staff. Everyone in America knew about them.
So why was Ben playing AT ALL in ANY of those last three games?

We were already in the playoffs before the San Fran game even started and if Tomlin had half a brain he would have forgotten about this whole "bye-week / 1-seed" crap and sat Ben for the next three games as well as sitting Pouncey and anyone else who was really banged up. The absolute worst thing that could have come from that would have been a 6-seed instead of the 5-seed we ended up with.

Doing that would have been the equivalent of a THREE WEEK BYE for Ben and the rest of the walking wounded, all of whom would have been in far better health by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Win the battle, or win the war?

We lost both, although you bring up a VERY valid point. Ben should have sat. And furthermore, Ben should have sat in the second half when it was evident he couldn't get anything going.

I see some bringing up the Ravens loss at home. While true, keep in mind, we were still in it even with the two losses to them.

Also Stainless, I think you have a point about Cleveland Round 1.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
The 92 yard Flacco drive showed us we weren't a SB team, the injuries in the Cleveland game ultimately cost us the season, and the Niners game was a big indicator that this team wasn't ready. Not because of the loss but because Ben came out with such a bad injury and tried his hardest and the rest of the team just looked around as if the game was the least important thing in their lives. Unbelievable the lack of heart and intensity this season, we can make all the adjustments we want next year, I hope we will, but if we play with no heart again we will still fall short.

saveus1011
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
The "Flacco Drive" to me was reminiscent of 2005 when Cincy took it to us at home. Next week we played inspired against said Bengals, and looked almost unstoppable. Then Cleveland happened.

But I'm with tanda; there was no killer instinct shown. It just felt like "because we're the Steelers, we should win."