PDA

View Full Version : Don't put all the blame for loss on Taylor

mesaSteeler
01-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Don't put all the blame for loss on Taylor
Monday, January 09, 2012
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DENVER -- One by one, Steelers front-office people, coaches and players stopped by to console cornerback Ike Taylor. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was first. Owner Dan Rooney and general manager Kevin Colbert. Players Ryan Clark, Casey Hampton and Keenan Lewis. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was the last. He practically lifted Taylor out of his chair and hugged him.

"I just told him I loved him," Roethlisberger said later. "I know he's beating himself up. I told him not to do that. I told him he's still one of the best cornerbacks in the league to me."

Touching, right?

Too bad the players didn't do more to support Taylor on the field. If they had, maybe the Steelers still would be in the AFC playoffs instead of home this morning trying to figure out how they lost to the Denver Broncos Sunday night, 29-23, in overtime.

"People are going to blame it all on Ike," linebacker James Farrior said. "But it was all of us. There were 11 of us out there on defense and all of us are responsible for what happened."

It's not exactly a mystery why the Steelers' season is done. Their defense -- ranked No. 1 in the NFL in points allowed and yards allowed coming in -- made the worst quarterback in the league look like John Elway. Tim Tebow, who completed just 46.5 percent of his passes in the regular season, completed just 10 on this gorgeous winter day in the Rockies, but they went for a staggering 316 yards. The Steelers defense had allowed just two completions for 40 or more yards in the 16-game season. It allowed four in this loss. It also allowed Tebow to throw a 30-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Eddie Royal over cornerback William Gay in the second quarter.

By now, you've probably seen the replay a hundred times of the winning touchdown in overtime. On the first play from the Denver 20, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas beat Taylor with an inside move, caught the ball at the Broncos 38, fought Taylor off with a stiff arm at the Broncos 48 and outran him and safety Ryan Mundy to the end zone. It was stunning on a couple of fronts. It took just 11 seconds. It was the Broncos' fourth win in overtime.

You might say the Steelers were Tebowed.

Farrior is right, everyone will blame Taylor. His big mistake was not making the tackle after the catch. "The run after was significant," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Taylor declined to talk to the media after the game. A club official stood guard at his locker to make sure no one approached.

Taylor's teammates were left to talk for him and said LeBeau had called a run defense. That left Taylor in one-on-one coverage with no help.

"We had [shown] a pretty good tendency of running on first-and-10," Broncos coach John Fox acknowledged.

Not this time.

"When I saw [Mundy] creeping up, I knew if I beat the cornerback, I had a touchdown," Thomas said.

So he did.

Taylor also was beaten by Thomas for 51- and 58-yard passes in the second quarter, leading to two touchdowns. In the second half, he was called for a 5-yard holding penalty and a 32-yard pass interference penalty.

"Ike is one of the big reasons we're here," Farrior said. "He's been great for us all year. There were a lot of times when he didn't have any help out there tonight. We called a lot of run-stopping defenses."

The problem is the defense didn't do enough to stop the Denver run. The Broncos had 131 rushing yards, 50 by Tebow.

"When you have a guy in single coverage like Ike, you had better get to the quarterback," Farrior said. "We didn't do that nearly enough."

Tebow wasn't sacked.

Part of that might have been the result of losing Hampton to a knee injury on the first series and defensive end Brett Keisel to a groin injury in the second quarter. But where were outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley? Did anyone notice them all day?

The Steelers offense also could have done more to bail out Taylor. Pro Bowl-starting wide receiver Mike Wallace dropped what should have been a 52-yard gain to the Denver 28 early in the second quarter. Roethlisberger threw a bad interception moments later that led to a Denver field goal. A bad snap over Roethlisberger's head in the shotgun by center Doug Legursky -- in for injured All-Pro Maurkice Pouncey -- late in the first half probably cost the Steelers a field goal.

But the most painful blunder might have came on a first-and-10 play from the Denver 45 with 29 seconds left in regulation. One completion by Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to 17 points in the second half, could have set up kicker Shaun Suisham for a possible winning field-goal attempt. Instead, defensive end Elvis Dumervil blew in and knocked the ball out of Roethlisberger's hand. Roethlisberger recovered, but the 11-yard loss all but ended their drive.

"We were moving it and we had a shot," Roethlisberger said. "Someone got, it felt like a finger, on the ball and knocked it out."

Roethlisberger figured the Steelers would win it in overtime. Tebow and Thomas made sure they never got the ball back.

Taylor took the brunt of the blame, but, clearly, there was more to this loss than just him.

"I just talked to him corner to corner," LeBeau said when asked what he said to Taylor.

LeBeau played cornerback for the Detroit Lions a lifetime ago and was good enough to make the Hall of Fame.

"I know how he's feeling," LeBeau said of Taylor. "But that's part of playing corner. Ike will be back. He's down right now, but he'll be back."

Next season, sure. Not next weekend, though.

None of the Steelers will be playing in New England Saturday night. They'll be watching the Broncos.
First published on January 9, 2012 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12009/1202347-87-0.stm#ixzz1iz0VgqMO

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
So lets see.... Ike refused to talk to the media after the game? Club officals guarded his locker so no one would come near him?

Ike basically yet again sold out his team to mop up for him. But not standing there shouldering the blame, yet refusing to talk, he let the rest of them get hit by the reporters.

But wait theres more!

He tweeted he was sorry. For some of you patsys thats enough. The fact is, he tossed his def under the boss again. He shouldve been interviewed, took it like a man. But no, he refused!

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 12:40 PM
you're a tool

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks I'm very hurt by your typings Mrs Taylor. Apparently you lack reading comprehension.

He tweeted he was sorry, lol... Stand up, and take it, answer the questions. Dont run and hide like he did on the field.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
you are seriously, over"Cook"ed !

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
meh....not sure any of us would care to have a herd of reporters shoving mics in our face after that performance. I'm not offended by Ike's avoiding the media at all.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Well we are the ones being paids millions to stop people from catching balls. Pay me millions, I couldve done that, lol.

Bottom line is, he refused and left his team mates to answer the questions and have the mics sholved in their faces. Fact! Its called accountability. Typically your taught this at a young age. Apparently he wasn't.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
it's more lebeau's fault than anything. how many times does ike have to be beat in 1on1 coverage before they change up coverage? they were getting beat by the long ball all freakin game, and into OT, no change. no wonder denver kept beating us with the same shit over and over again, defense didn't adjust.

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
it's more lebeau's fault than anything. how many times does ike have to be beat in 1on1 coverage before they change up coverage? they were getting beat by the long ball all freakin game, and into OT, no change. no wonder denver kept beating us with the same shit over and over again, defense didn't adjust.

Go watch the freaking play again. Mundy was supposed to be faking a blitz and then dropping into coverage putting an over under double team on that guy. Mundy was late on the fake and late getting back into coverage leaving Ike hanging out to dry.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Go watch the freaking play again. Mundy was supposed to be faking a blitz and then dropping into coverage putting an over under double team on that guy. Mundy was late on the fake and late getting back into coverage leaving Ike hanging out to dry.

maybe later, i'm not watching that shit again.

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Well we are the ones being paids millions to stop people from catching balls. Pay me millions, I couldve done that, lol.

Bottom line is, he refused and left his team mates to answer the questions and have the mics sholved in their faces. Fact! Its called accountability. Typically your taught this at a young age. Apparently he wasn't.

Has nothing to do with how much money you get paid or what your job is.

If you royally screw up at work & cost the shareholders a chance at profit-sharing for the year, I'd think you'd want to bury your head for a bit.

He obviously felt the weight of the world on his shoulders & took the loss to heart. I don't need him to answer questions on a mic to know that he owns his failures.

pete74
01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
So lets see.... Ike refused to talk to the media after the game? Club officals guarded his locker so no one would come near him?

Ike basically yet again sold out his team to mop up for him. But not standing there shouldering the blame, yet refusing to talk, he let the rest of them get hit by the reporters.

But wait theres more!

He tweeted he was sorry. For some of you patsys thats enough. The fact is, he tossed his def under the boss again. He shouldve been interviewed, took it like a man. But no, he refused!

Ike is a good corner who played a bad game. I don't blame him as much as I blame the defensive lune and our OLB'rs. They played horrible.even when we rushed 5 and 6I Tebow had all the time in the world. Hood and Hayward looked horrible. You can say its Heywards 1st year but it was Von Miller's as well and look how he played. Hood is decent but wasn't worth a 1st round pick.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Ike didnt lose the game for us on that one play, he lost it for us the other four times he was burnt too. Horrible game. I thought LeBeau's plan was great, it should have worked, but our best corner couldnt guard a little known second year receiver even once by himself all game. There should have been adjustments after he got burnt the first time or two, as great as LeBeau is, he is just to stubborn to make in game changes.

mesaSteeler
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Ike is a good corner who played a bad game. I don't blame him as much as I blame the defensive lune and our OLB'rs. They played horrible.even when we rushed 5 and 6I Tebow had all the time in the world. Hood and Hayward looked horrible. You can say its Heywards 1st year but it was Von Miller's as well and look how he played. Hood is decent but wasn't worth a 1st round pick.

Ike is an above average corner who feasted on weak offenses most of the year. Hands of Stone Taylor can't buy an INT and is getting old. We badly need secondary help

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Ike didnt lose the game for us on that one play, he lost it for us the other four times he was burnt too. Horrible game. I thought LeBeau's plan was great, it should have worked, but our best corner couldnt guard a little known second year receiver even once by himself all game. There should have been adjustments after he got burnt the first time or two, as great as LeBeau is, he is just to stubborn to make in game changes.

I disagree. Ike didn't play well, but he got no help (as usual) from the pass rush. Thomas is not a little-known receiver. He was a first -round pick that missed time due to injury. It's no surprise that he is breaking out.

Drizztbob
01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I can't believe people are defending Ike for his game performance. Yes he had some good games this year, but when it mattered most, he shit the bed. And not just once, at least 4 plays that resulting in points from his direct involvement, or lack there of.

Yes, the defense could have put more pressure on Tebow, but really, the fire on Ike's back after being burnt twice, not to mention his PI calls, cost us this game.

It looks like the old Taylor of a year ago, and years past, has reared his ugly head. And it couldn't have been worse timing.

Corey_J
01-09-2012, 02:02 PM

This is 1000000% correct !

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Yea Mundy left Ike who is a top corner to defend a WR one on one. Dam you Munday!.

Ike is supposed to be the shut down corner? Do shut down corners need help covering ONE wr? Thats all the Broncos sent, 1 wr.

Which shut down corner asks for help? Than not only does he catch the ball, but Ike isnt running full speed. Whose fault is that? He wasnt running full speed because he had to chase his man all day long. But guess what? His man was running all day long too. So you want to watch the Fing tape, go watch it. He didnt run full speed at all once Thomas caught the ball. Also, why try tackiling someone bigger than you on the shoulders?

Football 101, hit the legs. I guess he forget not only how to cover a wr but to tackle too?

plenewken
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I disagree. Ike didn't play well, but he got no help (as usual) from the pass rush. Thomas is not a little-known receiver. He was a first -round pick that missed time due to injury. It's no surprise that he is breaking out.

+1. He was not only a 1st round pick (2010) he was the 1st WR to be picked in the draft. The guy isn't chopped liver.
Ike didn't play well but like you said, he received no help at all during the entire game. Thomas had 204yds in 4 receptions yesterday!!!
How many deep passes LeBeau needs to adjust his defensive schemes?

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Yea Mundy left Ike who is a top corner to defend a WR one on one. Dam you Munday!.

Ike is supposed to be the shut down corner? Do shut down corners need help covering ONE wr? Thats all the Broncos sent, 1 wr.

Which shut down corner asks for help? Than not only does he catch the ball, but Ike isnt running full speed. Whose fault is that? He wasnt running full speed because he had to chase his man all day long. But guess what? His man was running all day long too. So you want to watch the Fing tape, go watch it. He didnt run full speed at all once Thomas caught the ball. Also, why try tackiling someone bigger than you on the shoulders?

Football 101, hit the legs. I guess he forget not only how to cover a wr but to tackle too?

Are you truly this daft? Football 101 there are offensive and defensive plays and within those plays all 11 players have assignments. When a player blows an assignment bad things happen. You don't have to look any further than the last play of the Steelers 2011 season. Since you keep showing the mental capacity of a cinder block here's a video.
WeVh0XnCwM8

If you pay attention you'll see Mundy running to the line of scrimmage late(the top of your screen) and subsequently late getting into coverage. There you go pal, now it's back to remedial football for you.

Lord of Lombardi
01-09-2012, 02:45 PM

You can't blame this loss on one player or coach for that matter. It was the most TOTAL TEAM She-it the bed, embarrassing effort I have every witnessed regarding playoff football from PGH. Someone should have taken our coaches aside before the O/T kickoff and reminded them that a FG does not win the game. Tell every Defender not to overcommit or oversell their position. Regardless of Ike's putrid attempt to tackle the WR, I take my chances with TEBLOW at the command.

Another issue I have with Tomlin is that he does not take his players aside (not that I noticed) and prepared them for the next phase of the game. In Indy, during review of the Troy interception, Cowher mentally prepared these guys to get ready to get back on the field. When the league tried to screw us again and at least the D was prepared. Also clock management !!! What in the hell is Tomlin's deal? This was at least the 4th game this year where he screwed the pooch on time management. After a timeout none the less when Sanders caught that 20 yarder to get us near a FG attempt. Ben pulls his typical sack move at the right time taking us way out of FG range and he basically looked around like, are we going to Overtime? No instant T/O from the sidelines, no player preperation (what if)

They sucked on the field, they sucked on the sidelines. The only good result from last night is that NE and or Baltisuck will not be able to claim ending our season. The worst QB in history was given that honor by the worst coaching preperation in history.

Redman and Brown were the only highlights worth mentioning last night. I would build around that.

At some point I would like to see our organization protect our $100 million dollar QB. True Ben creates half of his sacks but I saw our line get pushed around once again last night. I saw over committing from Harrison, Taylor and our LB's. Forget speed with this non QB, stay in your lane and then react. Tebow completed 10 passes folks! # 1 D was either over rated or schedule light.

Go Pens! Oh wait, injuries, Go Pirates!!!

Glad to get my family back-Until next year!

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM

I hear you, but who claimed Ike is a shut-down corner? He is a solid #1 in a 3-4 defense or a top-level #2 on a team with a true shutdown CB, but is not, nor has he EVER been a shutdown corner. The coaches should know this & should have adjusted to keep that long ball from burning them.

The truth is, they didn't think Tebow could beat them over the top & Ike was the one who took the collar due to the inflexibility of the the coaching,

pete74
01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
He wasn't the 1sttime WR drafted. Were did you get that info? Hell he wasn't even the 2nd WR drafted. Regardless he is a rookie

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
He wasn't the 1sttime WR drafted. Were did you get that info? Hell he wasn't even the 2nd WR drafted. Regardless he is a rookie

What the hell are you talking about Pete? He was the 1st WR selected in the 2010 draft - #22 overall...3 picks before Tebow as a matter of fact. Oh, and he's not a rookie...he's a 2nd year player.

GMU Steeler
01-09-2012, 03:03 PM
What the hell are you talking about Pete? He was the 1st WR selected in the 2010 draft - #22 overall...3 picks before Tebow as a matter of fact. Oh, and he's not a rookie...he's a 2nd year player.

Per wiki if anyone's curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NFL_Draft

plenewken
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Excuse me??? He was the 1st f*cking WR taken in the 2010 draft. And he's anything but a rookie. Inform yourself before you talk. <sigh>

stiller39
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
When your game plan was to stop the run and you get burned by the pass, then you MUST ADJUST, this doesn't happen far too often this year and It fall simply on the D coordinator. NO safety back in OT with a guy who was killing us all game?????

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
The offense wasn't great until the 4th. I've been seeing a lot of things on this topic and I think a lot of people are over looking the game plan. We were not trying to get sacks, hell, you could see Harrison run away from Tebow a few times to get a better angle, we were just trying to contain him. The gameplan was keep everybody close so Tebow doesn't get out of the pocket or beat us with an option, and make the worst passer in the league beat us passing. The contain broke down on a few plays, specifically the touchdown run by Tebow, but as a whole the containment was decent. As I said, the plan was to keep him contained and make Tebow throw against our supposed shut down corner and one of the best safeties in football, Troy Polamalu, and that's how it worked out. For the most part the containment was good, the run stopping was good especially before we lost Keisel and Hampton, and the game plan would have worked out, if Ike Taylor didn't get burnt all game. Yes of course it was a team loss, it always is, but let's be realistic, if Ike only get's burnt once or twice throughout the game we probably win, if he just doesn't get burnt at the end we win. Of course, as I just said, the team as a whole lost, but Ike Taylor was CLEARLY the most costly to our team.

pete74
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Excuse me??? He was the 1st f*cking WR taken in the 2010 draft. And he's anything but a rookie. Inform yourself before you talk. <sigh>

Blah, blah, blah. I made a mistake. Either way he has the stats of a rookie. 550 yds with 4tds. He is and was a nobody until last night. I don't understand how you think he is something special just because he was a 1st rounder.

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Blah, blah, blah. I made a mistake. Either way he has the stats of a rookie. 550 yds with 4tds. He is and was a nobody until last night. I don't understand how you think he is something special just because he was a 1st rounder.

He isn't a stud in the NFL, but he was at G-Tech. The point is, he's not a scrub & could very well have been a top-15 receiver this year had he a good QB to throw him the ball. When your QB is completing 2-10 throws a game it's difficult to become a well-known receiver.

SteelerEmpire
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Not only that. But the guy Ike was covering, #88 (I can't even remember his name) seemed bigger, stronger AND faster than Ike. I'm pretty sure Wallace can now, for sure, take Ike in a foot race... lol.

IowaSteeler927
01-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Wow could you be more bitter with any of your posts? He doesn't owe us an apology to begin with and I for one don't need nor want to see him talking to the reporters after a playoff loss. In fact I'd just assume put the loss in the past and move on. Everyone reacts to these situations differently. Ike placed all the blame on himself when it was completely unrealistic to expect him to completely blanket a receiver for the extended periods of time Tebow had do to the fact we weren't putting any pressure on him. Give the man a break, he had a great season and we have him to thank for his part in a lot of our wins.

Demaryius Thomas is a 6ft 3" 240lb monster. Chan Gailey coached both Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson at Georgia Tech and has said that he believes Demaryius Thomas has more natural talent and ability than Calvin Johnson. I think some people forget Thomas was drafted ahead of Tebow. Thomas was a forgotten man because he sat out his rookie season with an achilles injury. I for one would LOVE to see you attempt to cover Demaryius Thomas in one on one coverage for the majority of an NFL Playoff game with absolutely no help like Ike did since obviously making millions automatically turns you into the most gifted cornerback in the entire world.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Thomas has been one on one all year. Now all of a sudden he needs double coverage? The teams top corner no less needs help in covering someone who had 32 receptions and 551 yards in the regular season?

If we have to double cover everyone with those same stats, we will need 14 DB's to cover everyone.

IKE made Thomas a MONSTER, Ike should get 5% of his future earnings and a xmas card from Tebow and Thomas each year.

BKAnthem
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
When your game plan was to stop the run and you get burned by the pass, then you MUST ADJUST, this doesn't happen far too often this year and It fall simply on the D coordinator. NO safety back in OT with a guy who was killing us all game?????

This

60_MINUTES
01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Taylor had one bad game,, maybe in the last nine years... it happens.. the bigger issue is simple.. They called a perfect play against our D.. In other words they out coached us... Dick and the guys said they had a run blitz on... Denver had been running all night on First down so they caught us cheating up and hit us in the mouth.. the mistake was not the catch.. Taylor just didnt make the tackle because of a very good stiff arm... it happens.. Now heres my point.. great OFF call that beats a D call happens.. however it never happens for us.. We never and I mean never out think or out coach someone elses D Coord... Ike Taylor is the very least of our problems... he is at the very bottom our who we should blame... You start with Tomlin who is the one who kept BA then you move to BA.. we replace that spot we are 3 times a better team... also you would think we might get one sack out there... we are paying Harrison and wood about 120 million dollars throw timmons 50 mill in there and you would think one of them would at least fall on Tebows shoe every now and then

Pa Yankee
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Taylor had one bad game,, maybe in the last nine years... it happens.. the bigger issue is simple.. They called a perfect play against our D.. In other words they out coached us... Dick and the guys said they had a run blitz on... Denver had been running all night on First down so they caught us cheating up and hit us in the mouth.. the mistake was not the catch.. Taylor just didnt make the tackle because of a very good stiff arm... it happens.. Now heres my point.. great OFF call that beats a D call happens.. however it never happens for us.. We never and I mean never out think or out coach someone elses D Coord... Ike Taylor is the very least of our problems... he is at the very bottom our who we should blame... You start with Tomlin who is the one who kept BA then you move to BA.. we replace that spot we are 3 times a better team... also you would think we might get one sack out there... we are paying Harrison and wood about 120 million dollars throw timmons 50 mill in there and you would think one of them would at least fall on Tebows shoe every now and then

I remember Ike getting benched by Cowher. Obviously he has had bad games before. Cowher benched him for being lazy on plays.

casteeler
01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Like everyone has said before Taylor had a bad day but no one can excuse him from that poor excuse of an attempt to tackle after the catch, I've watched the play a couple of times and he had the angle but just didn't put forth the effort

Curtain_of_Steel
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Exactly, and it wasnt the only poor tackle he tried to make either.

Hey no worries, he tweeted he was sorry, all is good, lol

casteeler
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
^^^ yea...... Sorry

Curtain_of_Steel
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
oops my bad, lol

60_MINUTES
01-11-2012, 12:17 AM
oops my bad, lol

you guys need a head check... yes Taylor had a bad game and played like shit but if you blame him and only him for the loss then you have big problems... its typical and most smart fans are better then that... Its like putting the entire loss on the guy that misses the free throw at the end of the game... Its the thing a common fan does that has no knowledge of what happen during the game.. Most Steeler fans are smarter than that... Yeah Taylor had a lot to do with not helping us win thats for sure.. but had Doug L, Kemo Scott Foster and Gilbert been able to stop a three man rush on the play that ben had ball knocked out of his had before OT even started then we would have won... A three damn man rush got to the QB... How about we got zero sacks... zero.. The drop from Cothery... on the crossing pattern was huge... however not near as huge as the one that hit Wallace right in his hands.... How about the pick on our own 20 BEN just threw down the middle of the field... How about that play call as well... None of those guys said they were sorry... Hell I think they all should say something.. but you can bet your ass they are all at a vacation home living it up right now.. at least IKE is pissed and sad at how he played as the rest should be

IowaSteeler927
01-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Thomas has been one on one all year. Now all of a sudden he needs double coverage? The teams top corner no less needs help in covering someone who had 32 receptions and 551 yards in the regular season?

If we have to double cover everyone with those same stats, we will need 14 DB's to cover everyone.

IKE made Thomas a MONSTER, Ike should get 5% of his future earnings and a xmas card from Tebow and Thomas each year.

YOU CAN'T COVER SOMEONE FOR FOREVER WHEN THE QB IS STANDING AROUND WITHOUT ANY KIND OF PRESSURE IN A ONE ON ONE SITUATION! If you knew anything about football you'd know that. If it was so easy to just play man coverage then teams wouldn't even bother running zone coverages.

Demaryius Thomas didn't play the entire season either. The guy just must not be very good considering he lit us up to the tune of 204yds and we were the number one passing defense coming into the playoffs. He's a second year player and really this season was his rookie season because he sat out all of last year with an achilles injury. When Chan Gailey praises him as having more talent and natural ability than Calvin Johnson that's ridiculously high praise. He's effectively their number one receiver and it should of been obvious that Ike was having trouble with him after the 50yd pass and catch. He needed help covering the guy and there's nothing wrong with doubling up a teams #1 guy.

Aussie Steeler
01-11-2012, 04:19 AM
i'd say that defensive scheme on that particular play was more to blame than ike taylor. they need a TD to win and you put the safety that close to the line of scrimmage? come on. should have had a cover safety.

ShutDown24
01-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Ike had a bad game, it happens. But I would argue the defensive front let him down more than he let them down. No one can cover a talent like Demyarius Thomas all day without any pressure on the quarterback up front to help them out.

btaylor179
01-11-2012, 06:14 AM
we need to address the lack of a frickn pass rush this off season

ShutDown24
01-11-2012, 06:24 AM

It seems to me that the Steelers don't get enough pressure up the middle anymore. The only time I have seen much push between the tackles the past couple of seasons has been when we send Timmons. I love Hampton, but at this point in his career I think he is more of one down player. Too frequently opposing quarterbacks are able to step up into the pocket avoiding Harrison & Woodley when we are in the base 3-4.

gameface75
01-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Ike is an above average corner who feasted on weak offenses most of the year. Hands of Stone Taylor can't buy an INT and is getting old. We badly need secondary help

Thank you.

Rick5895
01-11-2012, 06:57 AM
you guys need a head check... yes Taylor had a bad game and played like shit but if you blame him and only him for the loss then you have big problems... its typical and most smart fans are better then that... Its like putting the entire loss on the guy that misses the free throw at the end of the game... Its the thing a common fan does that has no knowledge of what happen during the game.. Most Steeler fans are smarter than that... Yeah Taylor had a lot to do with not helping us win thats for sure.. but had Doug L, Kemo Scott Foster and Gilbert been able to stop a three man rush on the play that ben had ball knocked out of his had before OT even started then we would have won... A three damn man rush got to the QB... How about we got zero sacks... zero.. The drop from Cothery... on the crossing pattern was huge... however not near as huge as the one that hit Wallace right in his hands.... How about the pick on our own 20 BEN just threw down the middle of the field... How about that play call as well... None of those guys said they were sorry... Hell I think they all should say something.. but you can bet your ass they are all at a vacation home living it up right now.. at least IKE is pissed and sad at how he played as the rest should be

I agree!!!
When we lose the defense or 1 player from the defense has to shoulder the blame for the loss. The D played poorly, Ike played poorly, Harrison IMO was worse, getting sucked into the middle on the option dives and allowing Tebow to run around him like he was a pylon on numerous occasions. Absolutely no pass rush, but why the hell is the offense getting a pass on this game, we totally dominate the 1st quarter defensively and we lead on 6-0, that happens far too often, dropped balls (Cotchery could very well have run for a TD on his drop and Wallace dropping another pass) but the single biggest cause for this loss IMO aside from our coaches inabiltiy to adjust to what Denver was doing was our last drive of the game. 57 seconds left, 1 timeout left ball on the Denver 45..only needing 10 yards to have a realistic chance at a FG, we drop back to throw the home run ball with a hobbled QB and 3 backups on the OL, which was doing a damn good job of run blocking. Why didnt we give the ball to Issaac, the way he was running and the way Kemo was running that trap we certainly could have gotten at least 10 yards and had enough time with the timeout to get a FG off to win the game.
The point I am making is When team plays as poorly as we did with all the injuries we had to key players it is much more than 1 player that is the cause for a loss. It's a total team lack of effort...coaches included.

gameface75
01-11-2012, 06:59 AM

I agree 100% we also need to up-date our whole defensive scheme,look at the Giants , their front four get pressure on the QB without a constant LB blitzes .

60_MINUTES
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree 100% we also need to up-date our whole defensive scheme,look at the Giants , their front four get pressure on the QB without a constant LB blitzes .

They play a 4 3 and we do have the personal IMO to run that now.. however it would be hard for our great Players who have mastered our D to change everything they have been taught from day one.. guys like Troy know the D like the back of his hand so asking him to change in his 9th year could slow him and alot of the others down.. Also our D is always top 5... I think we just need to number one be healthy and number 2 we need a guy or two.. a new NT and MLB would help to start things off. Also one last thing we do blitz LB of course but if you watch us the past year in half.. it is very rare that we bring more then 5 and alot of the time we bring 4... this i know is the zone blitz scheme.. you dont know whos coming and you get pressure with the same amout of people... Problem is most teams seem to have the scheme down pat and they seem to do a good job picking out who is coming and picking it up... I actually think we need to bring more pressue... 5 and 6 man coming more often.. especailly on long distance downs... Everytime we bring the heat teams dont seem to be able to handle our talent that is coming...

Curtain_of_Steel
01-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Cant bring 5-6 with weak db's.

Think about it, even during the year, Ike and Gay played so far off the line because they were scared to get beat the opposing O did quick passes. Get the 3 yards for a 1st down etc.

I still do not know how we were the #1 pass def, lol. Said it during the year, and basically Christ proved it last week, our pass Def was way over rated.

ShutDown24
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM

The Giants run a 4-3. Comparing them to the Steelers is illogical. In a 3-4 scheme Linebackers play the role of the Defensive Ends in a 4-3. You can't expect the Steelers to get pressure without blitzing Linebackers.

60_MINUTES
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Cant bring 5-6 with weak db's.

Think about it, even during the year, Ike and Gay played so far off the line because they were scared to get beat the opposing O did quick passes. Get the 3 yards for a 1st down etc.

I still do not know how we were the #1 pass def, lol. Said it during the year, and basically Christ proved it last week, our pass Def was way over rated.

I disagree though we all know Taylor had one of his worst days as a pro last week overall he is one of the best CB in the game.. we played man press against the Pats and shut them down.. this allen kid IMO is gonna be the next great CB for us.. you can still bring 6 and have 5 people back in coverage... If you bring 6 with our talent wood, harrison, troy coming on blitz there is no way they have time to get the ball down field.

FireOmarTomlin
01-11-2012, 11:18 PM
if they had played their vanilla soft pressure they would have won. why Lebeau panicked playing Mundy against .... the worst 'passing' QB in the NFL.... they guy can either hit 3 yard swings and 50 yard wounded ducks to 6'5 WRs....

FML

60_MINUTES
01-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Also when you bring 6 there is no way in hell they can send more then 4 wr out in pattern if they dont leave a back in then we would have a free rusher so we would have help over the top ... bottom line they would have 3 seconds to get the play off if you brought keisel, hood, wood, harrison, timmons, and clark... leave troy covering the middle. with ike, allen, lewis, and gay on man press... Im not saying do this every play but you can bet your ass if we brough this kind of heat it would be very little time if any to get a play off... if everyone got a good chuck on the WR by then the QB is on the ground... hell 75 percent of the time someone usually comes freee when you go with that blitz... all Im saying is in the past we have blitzed that way very often... now days we are using so much 4 man rushes it drives me crazy... and we use to only do 3 man rushes on prevent D.. now we use that from time to time... man it drives me crazy when its 3rd and 20 and we 3 man rush... if you bring the heat they only have time for a check down period

60_MINUTES
01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
if they had played their vanilla soft pressure they would have won. why Lebeau panicked playing Mundy against .... the worst 'passing' QB in the NFL.... they guy can either hit 3 yard swings and 50 yard wounded ducks to 6'5 WRs....

FML

they did play soft D... the only blitz we did was run blitzes... thats what was called on the last pass play... hell we brought 3 and 4 all night..the Players said in the post game comments we thought it would be best to Make Tebow throw it to beat us.. they ( coaches ) said the plan was not to blitz because they thought if he broke the pocket he would hit big plays.. so they didnt bring much pressure and thought they would shut him down...( Actually they did i guess,, he only completed 10 passes ) I guess the problem was simple Denver was calling a prefect call every time.... each time we had a run blitz on they hit us with a pass... Anyway we shouldnt have changed our style... we usually bring pressure we should have kept bringing it from everywhere