PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward to retire?

Whodis
01-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Did Hines Ward play his last game? It appears he might have. A Steelers player texted to me the expectations around the team was that Ward would soon announce his retirement. That doesn't mean it's set he will. That means some Steelers players believe it which means it's likely to happen.

Ward is a different sort of dude. He could decide to hang on for one more year. But for the moment that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ward is clearly done physically. He just doesn't have the burst he once did. He was held without a catch against the Broncos and has become an afterthought in the Pittsburgh offense.

Yet, to me, he's a sure Hall of Famer. He became only the eighth wide receiver to reach 1,000 catches, had a lengthy and productive career, and won championships. He was one of the toughest receivers I've ever seen.

And it appears we've seen the last of Ward in the NFL

http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/34284011

TRH
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
i wouldn't be surprised to an annoucement of some kind like this within days, if not before

mesaSteeler
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Is Hines Ward's Steelers career over?
January, 9, 2012
Jan 9
9:15
AM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/40015/is-hines-wards-steelers-career-over

By Jamison Hensley

DENVER -- The Steelers' heartbreaking 29-23 overtime loss to the Denver Broncos could represent an emotional finish beyond the team's playoff defeat.

All indications point to this being Hines Ward's final game with the Steelers and perhaps his last one in the NFL. In a season when he became the eighth NFL wide receiver to reach 1,000 catches, Ward was targeted twice in the playoff game and didn't make a reception.

Asked about his thoughts on next season, Ward said after the game, "I'm not even thinking about that. My heart goes out towards my teammates and towards this game."

Ward was then asked specifically about his future with the Steelers. "I’m not even going to think about that. Next question."

The odds are against Ward returning because his role has diminished throughout the season. Ward, 35, lost his starting job earlier this season and dropped behind Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery on the depth chart in some games. In his past 10 games, he's been held to one or no catches six times.

If Ward did return to Pittsburgh, it would be surprising to see him come back at his scheduled salary. He is expected to make $4 million in both 2012 and 2013, the finals years of his current deal. It was 2 1/2 weeks ago when Ward said he had no plans to retire and could play "another year or two."

In the days leading up to the postseason game, Ward offered some thoughts on his career to the AFC North blog.

"I may not be the tallest or the fastest. But I can make catches," Ward said last week. "Half of my touchdowns are in the red zone. I've caught 1,000 balls. I don't know what more a receiver could ever ask for out of a career. I've been doing it for a predominantly run-oriented offense for 10 years of my career here."

AgentGold007
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Hate to see it end for him if he does decide to hang 'em up. Too bad he couldn't go out like Bettis did with another ring. Kept looking for the Steelers to call on him yesterday in the clutch.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2012, 01:42 PM
If He does?.
Then I congratulate him whole-heartedly, wish him ATB ! (All The Best), and am very thankful for his SB(2005) winning TD, that obviously gave us our 5th Steelers Ring !

hornstar19
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
As a Ravens fan, I am torn by his potential retirement. Part of me is happy to see him go. He was clutch in his prime, and his hits were devastating (although mostly illegal and dirty). The other part of me feels like Suggs. The rivalry isn't the same without 86 and those bone jarring hits, and his constant smiling. All that being said, he is and has been a great player, and although I hate him personally, he will be somewhat missed, and he has a borderline shot at being in the HOF one day. As soon as they take care of the current logjam at receiver.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I've been in full support of starting Wallace and Brown. The stats aren't all that matters, but this offense had better numbers with Ward as #2. Were there other contributing factors, yes possibly, but the bottom line is the offense was more productive with Hines in at #2, statistically at least. Mike Wallace disappeared for the better part of the second half of the season, he had one FORWARD pass targeted to him that I noticed yesterday, and it was a crucial DROP. He didn't get by anybody or run a good route and get open with the exception of a handful of times in the last 4-6 games. Yet, in the playoffs when the stakes are highest, Mike Wallace AGAIN disappears all game, drops it when he finally gets a chance, and we leave Hines Ward on the bench the whole time in favor of him. I know Wallace, when playing correctly, is a superior receiver to Hines at this time, but Hines probably has more clutch and playoff receptions then Wallace has total. There's never been a question who could find the hole in the defense and make the catch when it mattered, instead of playing that guy when it meant the most, we watched the camera pan over to him wearing a jacket while Wallace dropped the only pass he was able to get open on. The disrespect Hines must feel is amazing. Allegedly he was put further down the list do to a lack of productivity, even though the numbers went down when he went out, but no matter how bad our #1 receiver lacked production, Hines never got a chance to try it again. All these years of superior service and he never gets a chance to go back on the field in the playoffs, even though our #1 receiver for games straight has performed worse than Hines was when he was pulled for it. Hines was pretty clear he wasn't going to retire in a statement a few weeks back, I thought he should retire and be a WR coach, but now we would be kidding ourselves if we thought Hines wasn't at least "irritated" with the Pittsburgh coaching staff.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
As a Ravens fan, I am torn by his potential retirement. Part of me is happy to see him go. He was clutch in his prime, and his hits were devastating (although mostly illegal and dirty). The other part of me feels like Suggs. The rivalry isn't the same without 86 and those bone jarring hits, and his constant smiling. All that being said, he is and has been a great player, and although I hate him personally, he will be somewhat missed, and he has a borderline shot at being in the HOF one day. As soon as they take care of the current logjam at receiver.

i think he's definitely going to be in the HOF. nobody played WR like he did, and he was a super bowl MVP which should boost his stock. he won't be first ballot, but he will eventually get there.

SoCalFan
01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
He LEADS the Steelers in Catches, & TDs! Over 2 HOFers in Stallworth and Swann! He better go!

steelbad@50
01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
After reading my facebook page he has said he is not retiring and he hopes to win another superbowl with his team, The Pittsburgh Steelers :thumbsup::tt04::tt02::tt:

stb_steeler
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Borderline?????? Your kiddin right?