PDA

View Full Version : First Round Draft pick 2012

MDSteel15
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Now that we know we are picking 24th in the upcoming draft, who would you take if they fall to us in the first round?

1. Vontaze Burfict ILB
2. David DeCastro OG
3. Dontario Poe NG
4. Riley Reiff LT

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
My top choices for our first pick (these are guys that have a good chance of being there when we pick, obviously there are some better prospects that could slip I would rank over them):

1. Vontaze Burfict (ILB)
2. Dont'a Hightower (ILB)
3. Cordy Glenn (G)
4. Dontari Poe (NT)
5. Mark Barron (SS)

I'm beginning to doubt more and more we'll take an offensive lineman, Glenn is pretty much the only late first round prospect and there are a lot of teams that could use him. Every other guard and tackle will either go top 15 or is a huge reach at 24. But who knows, maybe somebody will fall to us.

pete74
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Very possible. Depending who's on the board I bet we go NT, ILB or safety in the 1st

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Very possible. Depending who's on the board I bet we go NT, ILB or safety in the 1st

I don't think NT is quite the pressing need some believe. There's an article in the rss feeds section from week 3 or 4 talking about our problems against the run this year. In it they talked about the blocking scheme being used was hurting us more than technique or decline in abilities. And went so far as to point out how we had a weakness vs that blocking scheme going all the way back to the early Cowher years. A solid foundation type g/t, S, LB would be my choice.

Corey_J
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Vontaze Burfict is our guy...IF hes there we will take him for sure ! With farrior getting older and slower and foote being "cut", I would love to see this young prospect lined up next to timmons !

pete74
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't think NT is quite the pressing need some believe. There's an article in the rss feeds section from week 3 or 4 talking about our problems against the run this year. In it they talked about the blocking scheme being used was hurting us more than technique or decline in abilities. And went so far as to point out how we had a weakness vs that blocking scheme going all the way back to the early Cowher years. A solid foundation type g/t, S, LB would be my choice.

Yea but next year will be Hampton's last and he will be 35. McClendon is an undersized unathletic NT at 280lbs. We need a guy like Hampton in his prime to stuff the hole. I know Nose tackles don't get the stats a LB'er will but its essential we have a pro bowl caliber guy there to keep our defense working

MDSteel15
01-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Vontaze Burfict is our guy...IF hes there we will take him for sure ! With farrior getting older and slower and foote being "cut", I would love to see this young prospect lined up next to timmons !

If Farrior retires, Foote isn't going anywhere!

Raw Steel
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Poe would be a great pick there. Casey can hang on for one more season and mentor him. They need to keep the middle of the 3-4 viable. Heyward, Poe and Hood would be a nice threesome for the next five or six years,

FireOmarTomlin
01-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Burfict for sure.

Head case, but all the tools to play a LeBeau style ILB beside TImmons. No modern Spread O/ 2TE passing set will hurt us, and he likes to move up and kill the RB

Win/Win

FireOmarTomlin
01-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Poe would be a great pick there. Casey can hang on for one more season and mentor him. They need to keep the middle of the 3-4 viable. Heyward, Poe and Hood would be a nice threesome for the next five or six years,

With Hampton's weight his ACL tear will take 15-18 months to rehab
How is he going to mentor anyone ?

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Now that we know we are picking 24th in the upcoming draft, who would you take if they fall to us in the first round?

1. Vontaze Burfict ILB
2. David DeCastro OG
3. Dontario Poe NG
4. Riley Reiff LT

Out of all of those players the Steelers would most likely take D. DeCastro. He can start right away at either OG position and is a beast in both blocking protections. The realistic pick out of the 4 though certainly has to be V. Burfict, he is the 3rd best ILB prospect arguably. I just dont see DeCastro, Poe, or Reiff dropping down to #24

ricardisimo
01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
DeCastro or Glenn, someone mentioned a few top centers that we might have play guard... any of those would be good. We had the number #21 scoring offense in the league, mostly because of red zone and short yardage running game issues. We need guards.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2012, 11:57 PM
DeCastro or Glenn, someone mentioned a few top centers that we might have play guard... any of those would be good. We had the number #21 scoring offense in the league, mostly because of red zone and short yardage running game issues. We need guards.
i'm still in amazement everytime i see someone not put a guard in the first 2 rds. especially when someone hypothetically put a guard in the scenario that is being touted as the best guard prospect in years...:doh:

Kingmagyar
01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
It would be nice to see this guy slip to the Steelers.

Barrett Jones, T/G, Alabama Height: 6-5. Weight: 311. If he slipped to the Steelers they would have a left tackle for the next 12 years. Gilbert could stay at RT. Move Colon to Guard or release.

They would still have shots at an excellent Guard or NT in the 2nd and maybe a good ILB in the 3rd.

Kingmagyar
01-16-2012, 09:40 AM
UPDATE

Barrett Jones, T/G, Alabama is staying at Alabama for his senior year. He still has time to change his mind but doubtful.

BKAnthem
01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Yea but next year will be Hampton's last and he will be 35. McClendon is an undersized unathletic NT at 280lbs. We need a guy like Hampton in his prime to stuff the hole. I know Nose tackles don't get the stats a LB'er will but its essential we have a pro bowl caliber guy there to keep our defense working

We can grab a NT in the later rounds...i'm confident in Mitchell's abilities to coach him up...Kugler doesn't seem to have that same ability

ricardisimo
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
We can grab a NT in the later rounds...i'm confident in Mitchell's abilities to coach him up...Kugler doesn't seem to have that same ability
In fairness to Kugler, he's been given lemons and he's made lemonade. Mitchell has been given cabernet sauvignon grapes and what do you know? He produced a fine wine. Two first-rounders out of three players will do that.

Steel Glory
01-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Answering the original question, if all of those players happen to be available when the Steelers pick, the choice would have to be David Decastro. He is a guard that can do it all. He should be a top 15 pick easily.

IowaSteeler927
01-24-2012, 05:07 AM
With Hampton's weight his ACL tear will take 15-18 months to rehab
How is he going to mentor anyone ?

He doesn't have to play to be a mentor he can be an extra coach of sorts. Hines Ward played this season but was largely a mentor to our younger receivers such as Antonio Brown. I don't know if Hampton makes it to the next season. I love him but his injury isn't a good one for a guy his age.

On another note. I would love to see Reiff in a Steelers jersey but he won't be falling so far in the draft. I imagine he's a top 8 pick. He's been a dominant blocker for the Hawkeyes and Hawkeye offensive lineman usually translate pretty well coming into the NFL. Reiff reminds me of Bryan Bulaga who has been pretty damned good for the Packers. Bulaga fell to something like 22nd in the draft which was a surprise but I don't see Reiff following suit.

Bayz101
02-01-2012, 01:56 AM
I was hoping for Barron, but it'll be Poe or Hightower.