PDA

View Full Version : I love D. Lebeau....

BKAnthem
01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
...But the world has caught up to his defense...If he doesn't or can't adapt it may be time for him to move on and retire...No spy on Tebow? Every Blitz was picked up....that same 15 yard cushion/zone that has proven time and again to not work in clutch situations? It was painful to watch.

Lord of Lombardi
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
...But the world has caught up to his defense...If he doesn't or can't adapt it may be time for him to move on and retire...No spy on Tebow? Every Blitz was picked up....that same 15 yard cushion/zone that has proven time and again to not work in clutch situations? It was painful to watch.

Agree, He has become too vanilla.

12 yards off a wr when it is 3rd and 8 They treated him like Brees. Good job Dick, have no plan B if max coverage doesn't work and EVEN Teblow will find a nut with that pass rush.

I am embarrassed of my team and its coaches for that performance.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
LeBeau transformed the defense to beat Brady and actually yesterday's game plan was actually good, we just didn't have ANYBODY on defense make plays. Even worse, Ike Taylor was the Broncos MVP. I think he's the best and he shouldn't be going anywhere. That game against NE proved it's not just a 3-4 zone blitz every game no matter who you are playing, it showed he can make something to beat anybody. That said, LeBeau has to make in game adjustments, and he has to start treating teams individually like he did with New England this year. We played the cushion defense, like we normally do against Brady with the exception of this year, against Flacco, Alex Smith, whoever the Chiefs had at QB when we played them, and Seneca Wallace. WTF for? It didn't work. Normally, even then it's not too bad, but we had zero pass rush all year. The zone blitz 3-4 works great against most teams, but it can't be missing the blitz. If nobody can get there to put some pressure then the worst of QB's will dink and dunk us. That's what all those QB's did. You don't get rid of the best DC ever because of the few flaws he has, he just has to adapt a bit more, and Tomlin should be talking to him about it. Our blitzes were picked up often and he has all off season to come up with some different blitzes, but bottom line is the defender has to beat the blocker, and our best pass rushers lost A LOT of one on one matches all season. I said it all season, this defense may have been #1, but with the exception of the New England and Tennessee game, they never passed the eye test.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
time for him to retire imo. he was a great DC over the years, but like players, coaches also lose their edge as they get old. time for keith butler to take over the defense.

stiller39
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
It might be time for Butler.... I agree..

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Really? One bad game and it's time for him to retire? Season after season after season after season of top-5 defenses, both in terms of yards and points... they mean nothing? Are you people sure that you've been paying attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers? Does this strike you as a team that punishes success?

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Really? One bad game and it's time for him to retire? Season after season after season after season of top-5 defenses, both in terms of yards and points... they mean nothing? Are you people sure that you've been paying attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers? Does this strike you as a team that punishes success?

it's situational stats. great defenses are great when they need to be. our defense has been shitty when it needed to be great in recent years

good 90% of the time, and shitting the bed when it counts isn't what I call great, it's frustrating to watch

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree that this defense was not really #1, they were statistically but if you watched them all year it was obvious they weren't. The 92 yard Flacco drive made that obvious, they squandered every chance they had. Yes I know the offense puts them in bad positions, but when you have to make a stand to win the game and you fail to do it game after game your not number 1. Nor was this one bad game. That said, this loss was due to the players not being able to carry out the game plan, and LeBeau is still the best, he just needs to make some adjustments.

BKAnthem
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM

c'mon dude he looked Lost against Denver....Tebow was killing us and he made not 1 adjustment to stop him, it was like he was a step behind all game...No help for Ike over the Top...no spy on Tebow...Blitz ineffective....it's like you take away the blitz and Lebeau has nothing it seems...he needs to find a way to work around that and adapt, the fact that he has such good players on defense kind of demands it...I'm not saying fire him...never that...but he has to recognize that the rest of the NFL has caught up and in some cases passed him by...and adjust to that

steelersfan77
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Dick is not ready to go yet. What needs to happen is for the players on the team to step up and do their jobs. Get to the quarterback, beat your man and get to the quarterback. Guys in coverage need to work on ball skills. I can think of three times last night where our guys were badly beaten, badly beaten only because they didn't find the ball and make a play on it. I like Ike Taylor, he's a physical, physical CB but he has the worst ball skills I've ever seen. For an elite corner he sure plays his man to much rather than the ball. Enough on Taylor though.

I thought the gameplan yesterady was great, the guys just didn't execute. I wondered why Lebeau didn't make an adjustment after the first few series. Maybe he did I don't know. Denver came out running the ball with 8 guys in the box, sometimes 9 and realized it wasn't working so they went over the top. Give them credit. Guys didn't come up with plays.

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
c'mon dude he looked Lost against Denver....Tebow was killing us and he made not 1 adjustment to stop him, it was like he was a step behind all game...No help for Ike over the Top...no spy on Tebow...Blitz ineffective....it's like you take away the blitz and Lebeau has nothing it seems...he needs to find a way to work around that and adapt, the fact that he has such good players on defense kind of demands it...I'm not saying fire him...never that...but he has to recognize that the rest of the NFL has caught up and in some cases passed him by...and adjust to that
His starting corner has arguably the worst game of his career. How does one game-plan for that? And given that Bryant McFadden sucks, Cortez Allen was injured, Curtis Brown is on injured reserve, and Anthony Madison was just signed three minutes before game time, I'm not entirely sure what sort of halftime adjustments he was supposed to make.

He stacked the box and forced Tebow to beat him through the air instead of running. This was not only exactly what Lebeau was supposed to do, but I will wager $100 right now that New England does the exact same thing next week and wins handily doing it (unless god intervenes yet again, which I highly doubt.)

As far as our D not being clutch, you're all on drugs. They pitched two shutouts this year, and they kept the other teams to 14 points per game. A team with Ben Roethlisberger, Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace, Maurkice Pouncey, Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, et al., should be able to score 15 points per game, every single game.

Yeah, teams losing to us in the last 2 minutes are going to go all out and do some crazy shit, and sometimes they will succeed. In 12 of those games our defense was clutch. In three of them we just got blown out of the water when our offense couldn't score almost at all. In one single, solitary game this season our defense shat the bed and we lost a game we should have won, the second Rats game. Cry me a ****ing river.

Once again, you people are drama queens, overreacting to a tough loss. We don't get to go to the Super Bowl every year. It's hard to take, but it's true. Fortunately, we do get to go to the playoffs every year thanks in large part to the guy you want to fire. In the meantime, you are giving our visiting Rat fans loads of giggle-inducing reading material. I'm sure they're laughing their asses off about how we're "eating our own" right now.

tony hipchest
01-09-2012, 07:04 PM

you sawa 15 yard cushion zone on the final play of the game???

it was the completely opposite of that.

infact lebeau went away from his typical "vanilla" 3-4 zone blitz.

i gotta wonder what game you guys were watching or if it is just trendy to thow out the same generic catchphrases after a loss (even if theyre completely wrong).

just for reference when there are 8-9 in the box and all 11defenders are up on the line it is everything but a 3-4 zone blitz.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 07:15 PM
you sawa 15 yard cushion zone on the final play of the game???

it was the completely opposite of that.

infact lebeau went away from his typical "vanilla" 3-4 zone blitz.

i gotta wonder what game you guys were watching or if it is just trendy to thow out the same generic catchphrases after a loss (even if theyre completely wrong).

just for reference when there are 8-9 in the box and all 11defenders are up on the line it is everything but a 3-4 zone blitz.

^ This. I don't understand what the dude was watching either. We actually played NO soft zones or any zone-blitzing to speak from. That last play was pretty much an all-out run blitz designed to put Denver in a very tough 2nd and long situation. Instead, they had the perfect play call against the perfect defense for that play call. Watch the linebackers BITE on that play action. For an offense, it was beautiful. Ike was play aggressive, lined up right under the jaw of the receiver. The WR got a great first step and blew past Ike and the rest was history. If the Steelers would of played their usual defense, I think the result would have been different. Instead, we chose not to adjust. THAT'S what baffles me.

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
When did the zone blitz become "vanilla"? Is there a definition of "vanilla" with which I'm not familiar? :huh: Talk about parroting each other's bad critiques..,.

tony hipchest
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
:huh: Talk about parroting each other's bad critiques..,.no doubt.

"if redman wasnt dancing and would drop that stupid spin move, we woulda scored td's on the 1st 2 drives instead of settling for fg's".

"hines stole valuable reps from the young wr's. cotchery shoulda been in there."

"hampton and keisel looked fat old and slow the WHOLE game. no splash plays to speak of. they need to be benched for the youngsters".

&

"run...run...pass...."

jiminpa
01-09-2012, 09:08 PM
His starting corner has arguably the worst game of his career. How does one game-plan for that? And given that Bryant McFadden sucks, Cortez Allen was injured, Curtis Brown is on injured reserve, and Anthony Madison was just signed three minutes before game time, I'm not entirely sure what sort of halftime adjustments he was supposed to make.

He stacked the box and forced Tebow to beat him through the air instead of running. This was not only exactly what Lebeau was supposed to do, but I will wager $100 right now that New England does the exact same thing next week and wins handily doing it (unless god intervenes yet again, which I highly doubt.)

As far as our D not being clutch, you're all on drugs. They pitched two shutouts this year, and they kept the other teams to 14 points per game. A team with Ben Roethlisberger, Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace, Maurkice Pouncey et al. should be able to score 15 points per game, every single game.

Yeah, teams losing to us in the last 2 minutes are going to go all out and do some crazy shit, and sometimes they will succeed. In 12 of those games our defense was clutch. In three of them we just got blown out of the water when our offense couldn't score almost at all. In one single, solitary game this season our defense shat the bed and we lost a game we should have won, the second Rats game. Cry me a ****ing river.

Once again, you people are drama queens, overreacting to a tough loss. We don't get to go to the Super Bowl every year. It's hard to take, but it's true. Fortunately, we do get to go to the playoffs every year thanks in large part to the guy you want to fire. In the meantime, you are giving our visiting Rat fans loads of giggle-inducing reading material. I'm sure they're laughing their asses off about how we're "eating our own" right now.That about says it all, with one more thing. The ONLY thing between the Steelers and losing every season since 2007 has been the best defense in the NFL, and some of you want to give that up! I don't care if BR passes for 3000 yards a game if all of the drives end in interceptions, fumbles or the legless kicker doinking it off of the upright, and yes I know they don't all end like that, sometimes we punt. And some of you want to blow up the defense!

SH-Rock
01-09-2012, 09:17 PM

As far as our D not being clutch, you're all on drugs. They pitched two shutouts this year, and they kept the other teams to 14 points per game. A team with Ben Roethlisberger, Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace, Maurkice Pouncey et al. should be able to score 15 points per game, every single game.

Once again, you people are drama queens, overreacting to a tough loss. We don't get to go to the Super Bowl every year. It's hard to take, but it's true. Fortunately, we do get to go to the playoffs every year thanks in large part to the guy you want to fire. In the meantime, you are giving our visiting Rat fans loads of giggle-inducing reading material. I'm sure they're laughing their asses off about how we're "eating our own" right now.

This.

You guys disgust me as fans. He had one bad game. Ike Taylor played his heart out during the regular season. He held the top WRs in the game to only a few passes per game and those even were for minimal gain. He had one bad game. I would hate to see Lebeau leave and you never really appreciate something until it's gone.

Wallace108
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM

As far as our D not being clutch, you're all on drugs. They pitched two shutouts this year, and they kept the other teams to 14 points per game. A team with Ben Roethlisberger, Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace, Maurkice Pouncey, Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, et al., should be able to score 15 points per game, every single game.

I know it's extremely early, but there's my nomination for post of the year. :applaudit:

Despite having an older defense and a lot of injuries, they still finished No. 1 in the league. I'm not a numbers guy, but I'm fairly certain No. 1 is pretty good. It was a bad game. It happens.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 03:43 AM
We weren't the #1 defense. On paper, yes. But the Baltimore and the 49er defense were much better than ours.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Butler's philosophy will be the same as LeBeau's. You won't see anything different. I'm for keeping Dick until he retires but we may need new blood in the next couple of years.

tanda10506
01-10-2012, 04:10 AM
We weren't the #1 defense. On paper, yes. But the Baltimore and the 49er defense were much better than ours.

Agreed. We played a lot of putrid offenses and the defense buckled on every big chance they had. They still played well, but between those two reasons and the tremendous lack in turnovers, there is no way they were really #1.

BKAnthem
01-10-2012, 12:55 PM

How about some Help for Ike? that's an adjustment that could have been made...your best corner is having a tough time...you leave him to it? safety help is not unreasonable, If it's Regular season ok, you let Ike work it out, but this is the playoffs lose and you go home... and make Tebow beat you with his arm? he was beating them with his arm ! whenever he needed a big throw he made it

tunes4life
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks, you just saved me some typing and a lot of exclamation points.

Wallace108
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Your opinion doesn't matter any more than mine does. We were the No.1-ranked defense, and it's just not on paper. That ranking came as a direct result of play on the field, not people sitting around theorizing about who has the best defense. Go compare Baltimore's schedule to ours. We played basically the same teams, and the results showed that we had the better defense.

Agreed. We played a lot of putrid offenses
We can play only the teams that are on our schedule. And you said you agreed with DanRooney, so I assume you agree that Baltimore has a better defense than us. You write off our No. 1 ranking by saying we played a lot of "putrid" offenses. But Baltimore played against nearly the same offenses as the Steelers. The only decent offense they faced that we didn't was the Chargers. But we more than made up for that by playing the Patriots.

and the defense buckled on every big chance they had.
I'd have to go back and double-check, but at least 7 or 8 times this season, our opponents had the ball with a chance to win on their final drive. Our defense came through EVERY time except the second Baltimore game. (I'm talking regular season here ... where we earned the No. 1 ranking). I don't think that success rate could be considered "buckling."

ricardisimo
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
If you say so. Not sure why a defense that gets to play the Rams twice, the Seahawks twice and the Cardinals twice, along with Tampa Bay and Cleveland somehow gets more cred from you, but whatever.

As for Baltimore, there's a D that actually did buckle and give games away, repeatedly. 432 yards and 26 points to Tennessee? 22 to Seattle? 34 to San Diego? The Jacksonville game was obviously not the D's fault, but... And fortunately for them, they did not have to play the Pats, because Brady would have made their Charger game seem dreamy by comparison.
Agreed. We played a lot of putrid offenses and the defense buckled on every big chance they had. They still played well, but between those two reasons and the tremendous lack in turnovers, there is no way they were really #1.
Buckled? How? In real yards, or imaginary yards? Real points or imaginary points? Real losses, or make-believe? Because in real yards and real points we wound up #1 in the entire league. We had four real losses (five including this last one) and honestly only one of those should go exclusively on the D. This last game was evenly split between Ike and an offense that was kicking field goals and fumbling instead of breaking the plane.
How about some Help for Ike? that's an adjustment that could have been made...your best corner is having a tough time...you leave him to it? safety help is not unreasonable, If it's Regular season ok, you let Ike work it out, but this is the playoffs lose and you go home... and make Tebow beat you with his arm? he was beating them with his arm ! whenever he needed a big throw he made it
Like I said, the Pats are going to do exactly what we just did (with a much crappier D and much worse corners, I'll add) and they're going to win. After this happens, you can come back and explain a new theory as to why Lebeau was wrong. The plan was sound and will continue to be sound against Tebow probably for the remainder of his short career.

theplatypus
01-10-2012, 01:34 PM
If you say so. Not sure why a defense that gets to play the Rams twice, the Seahawks twice and the Cardinals twice, along with Tampa Bay and Cleveland somehow gets more cred from you, but whatever.

Come on Ric, you know the answer to that. IT's the same bs that causes dannyboy to discount the importance of a wr knowing the freaking playbook.

BKAnthem
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Like I said, the Pats are going to do exactly what we just did (with a much crappier D and much worse corners, I'll add) and they're going to win. After this happens, you can come back and explain a new theory as to why Lebeau was wrong. The plan was sound and will continue to be sound against Tebow probably for the remainder of his short career.

I guess we'll have to see then...But i bet Coach B gives his corners Help

StainlessStill
01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
According to CB Keenan Lewis, this was LeBeau's last message to his 2011 defense for those who will be around for next season. "You just BETTER come out next season ready to win the Super Bowl."

We're PISSED.