SteelersFever
06-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Title: Rest In Peace, Super Bowl Controversy
Source: Steelers Fever
Author: Viktor Figeczki

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0628.html

BBC
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Why are we still talking about this? Is the writer even a Steelers fan? It's been 4 months, why would a Steelers fan bring it up again? We say everyone needs to move on, and that the officials were right, to stop talking about it, yet 4 months later we still see these articles. Just doesn't mke much sense to me. Not to mention publically posting something that has no truth at all about the Steelers:

Believe you me, had he not called P.I., he and his children and his children's children would have felt the wrath of those volatile landscape architects that redecorated Tommy Maddox's lawn.

I think just about every Steelers fan and their grandmother knows that Maddox made it up, just ask his wife.

SteelersFever
06-27-2006, 04:36 PM
This is our exclamation point on the topic. Don't like it, don't read it. Of course he is a Steelers fan. Want to cry some more?

Hammer67
06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
This is our exclamation point on the topic. Don't like it, don't read it. Of course he is a Steelers fan. Want to cry some more?

I concur...I thought it was a great article and as long as I hear whining about SB officiating (and I still do), I love to hear the rational explanations behind the calls....

clevestinks
06-27-2006, 05:06 PM
AMEN My Steelers Brothers and Sisters!

Steelers 5-Time SuperBowl Champs!

SteelerFanInCA
06-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Excellent Read. Case closed.

nicesteel4life
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
YES YES, It was a excellent read, but unneeded. We Won Deal with it PERIOD

DIESELMAN
06-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Good read but it doesn't matter....articles will be popping up about XL for some time to come and thats cool to cuz we all know what really happened in Detroit.

HometownGal
06-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the read, SF. I never tire of reading articles related to our Steelers' victory in XL! :smile:

I think just about every Steelers fan and their grandmother knows that Maddox made it up, just ask his wife.

Not this Steelers fan. I am no Maddox apologist, but it was widely reported here around the Burgh that Maddox's agent started that story and the media capitulated upon it. What is really sickening is that at the Super Bowl Parade in dahntahn Pittsburgh, some of our "classier" fans :puke: openly jeered Maddox with certain expletives and chants of "you suck". I know - I was there and it was disgusting. He was still a part of that team and he didn't deserve that no matter how poorly he played in those 2 games last season. I chalked it up to the "what have you done for me lately" breed of fan that makes those of us who appreciate every player who ever wore the black and gold and their accomplishments while a Steeler, no matter how large or small they were (are).

OK - down off my soap box. :smile:

CowherLover
06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
I thought Maddox didn't show for the parade or the White House visit?

BBC
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM

I asked why we were still talking about it. It's been four months. The exclamtion point, to me anyways, was when the clock struck zero. The article argued the calls just as I would have, but why haven't we moved on yet? Go look at the article that's titled something along the lines of "Seahawks air gripes over Super Bowl." Just about every poster commented "Good, maybe now they can finally move on". That was at least 2 weeks ago. Steelers fans haven't even moved on yet, how can we expect any other teams' fans to do so?

HometownGal
06-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I thought Maddox didn't show for the parade or the White House visit?

He didn't show up for the official SB ring presentation or the visit to the White House, but he WAS at the Super Bowl parade. I was in the front row on Fifth Avenue near Kaufmanns and he was riding in a black convertible, sitting above the back seat. I personally shook his hand and said "thank you", just as I did other Steelers that one could get close enough to!

BlackNGold203
06-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the read, SF. I never tire of reading articles related to our Steelers' victory in XL! :smile:

Not this Steelers fan. I am no Maddox apologist, but it was widely reported here around the Burgh that Maddox's agent started that story and the media capitulated upon it. What is really sickening is that at the Super Bowl Parade in dahntahn Pittsburgh, some of our "classier" fans :puke: openly jeered Maddox with certain expletives and chants of "you suck". I know - I was there and it was disgusting. He was still a part of that team and he didn't deserve that no matter how poorly he played in those 2 games last season. I chalked it up to the "what have you done for me lately" breed of fan that makes those of us who appreciate every player who ever wore the black and gold and their accomplishments while a Steeler, no matter how large or small they were (are).

I have been chastised in the past for being a Maddox apologist...and I still think its disgusting how people talk about him....the same people who thought he was a late blooming Elway in 2002-2003....yeah..he played poorly last year....but a mans legacy is measured in years...not days....he helped this team...he bridged the gap until Ben came along.....

How soon everyone forgets the '02 playoffs.....

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Steelers fans haven't even moved on yet, how can we expect any other teams' fans to do so?

Steeler fans don't have to move on, we are still celebrating the Super Bowl victory! It's just kinda hard to enjoy it when their "whine' gets in my beer!! :cheers:

SteelersMongol
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM

Couldn't agree with you more. I wasn't there, but if that's what happened to Maddox, that would be the proof of "the lies" that Maddox's agent "circulated". Nobody deserves to be treated that way.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I have been chastised in the past for being a Maddox apologist...and I still think its disgusting how people talk about him....the same people who thought he was a late blooming Elway in 2002-2003....yeah..he played poorly last year....but a mans legacy is measured in years...not days....he helped this team...he bridged the gap until Ben came along.....

How soon everyone forgets the '02 playoffs.....

I had no problem with Tommy Maddox until after the Jaqs and the poor excuses he made. He said it was to windy. Then he said he bumped into Dan Kreider and that caused the fumble in OT. When clearly he didn't even touch Kreider. If Tommy would have owned up and didn't point the finger I would have no problem with him.

But I agree with you he saved our 2002 season when we started 1-3 under Kordell. That was a magical year. It was a real fun year to watch in 2002 and I will take some good memories of Tommy Maddox from that year. That comeback game against the Browns in the playoffs is one of my alltime favorite games.

I wish Tommy the best and no ill harm.

BBC
06-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Steeler fans don't have to move on, we are still celebrating the Super Bowl victory! It's just kinda hard to enjoy it when their "whine' gets in my beer!! :cheers:

Nobody could get whine in my beer bro, I know the Steelers deserved it, I don't need any Bengals or Seahawks fans to tell me so :cheers:

I had no problem with Tommy Maddox until after the Jaqs and the poor excuses he made. He said it was to windy. Then he said he bumped into Dan Kreider and that caused the fumble in OT. When clearly he didn't even touch Kreider. If Tommy would have owned up and didn't point the finger I would have no problem with him.

Don't forget him blaming the fans for his play :rolleyes:

Hawk Believer
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
IMO, I think Seattle fans have reached a significant point in moving past the whole SB thing. When the topic of the Seahawks comes up, the majority of people aren't talking about percieved officiating injustices. They are talking about mini camp and regular training. Its nice to be talking about the future with such optimism. It is unprecidented for people to have such high expectations for the Hawks in this town. But I honestly think that, if they stay healthy, anything short of a Super Bowl victory will be considered a failure this season. We have never, never had that situation before. Should be interesting to see how they respond.

Sure, there are a few black helicopter types that will always think that there was some conspiracy out here. But they are the fringe (and also the easiest to notice).

Prosdo
06-27-2006, 10:53 PM
On the topic of Maddox players have bad games. Unfortunately Maddox didn't have the maturity to just admit that. That is my problem with him. Also the fact that he seemed to have lied about the incident at his house doesn't help either.

Prosdo
06-27-2006, 10:53 PM

Awesome job! The writers here at SF are great!

SteelShooter
06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
AMEN My Steelers Brothers and Sisters!

Steelers 5-Time SuperBowl Champs!

Ooh-Rahhhh!

HometownGal
06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I had no problem with Tommy Maddox until after the Jaqs and the poor excuses he made. He said it was to windy.

I don't want to get into the entire Maddox discussion all over again, as he is no longer a Steeler and it is irrelevant anyway, but I want to point out that your statement above is in error. You may not have read the post-game comments. Just wanted to set the record straight.

From the archives at Steelers.com, the post-game interview.

http://news.steelers.com/article/57965/

STEELERS PLAYERS

Tommy Maddox

Was wind a factor?

You hate to sit here and say “a lot,” but a lot. If you ask Byron or the kickers, it was such an inconsistent wind at different levels. If you threw it up into the air it did one thing or if you threw it down on the ground it would do another thing. I’ve played here a long time and with the Giants at the Meadowlands, but it was the worst day of throwing into something that I’ve ever had.

Jeff Reed confirmed in his post-game comments that the wind was indeed a factor in that game.

K Jeff Reed

Had you gotten the chance in overtime, it probably would have been about a 45-yarder. Was that makeable at that end?

“Yeah. I’d say 50 was probably the longest attempt [we’d try]. We may have gone 51 or 52, depending on the situation. The wind was really strong all day toward our bench and either behind you or in your face, depending on the kick. It was very makeable. It would have been tough, but that’s part of it. Both teams are playing in the same conditions.”

Does the wind swirl a lot more on the field, because it looked like the wind was straight toward the river.

“The flags up top are not an indication of anything [but] that’s what everyone looks at. It’s usually opposite of what’s going on up top. This game was probably the third-most windy – around that range – that I’ve ever played in. It was consistent all game. It didn’t really die down. It was swirling. It was all over the place. You never really knew what you were going to get.”

BBC
06-28-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't want to get into the entire Maddox discussion all over again, as he is no longer a Steeler and it is irrelevant anyway, but I want to point out that your statement above is in error. You may not have read the post-game comments. Just wanted to set the record straight.

From the archives at Steelers.com, the post-game interview.

http://news.steelers.com/article/57965/

Jeff Reed confirmed in his post-game comments that the wind was indeed a factor in that game.

No, he made excuses, make no doubt about it:

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/10/17/06/Clips_101705_57988.pdf

Something you left out from the article you posted...

Did the fans booing have an effect on you?

I was disappointed in that. I’d be lying if I said no. I think that sometimes it is to be expected. When you have a track record in a city, like I do here, I was disappointed.

HometownGal
06-28-2006, 08:44 AM
No, he made excuses, make no doubt about it:

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/10/17/06/Clips_101705_57988.pdf

Something you left out from the article you posted...

OK. If Maddox made excuses, then Jeff Reed confirmed his excuses as he said the wind was a problem that day as well. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I left what you quoted out of my post because it was irrelevant to the discussion at hand, BBC, though I see nothing wrong with what he said there. He admitted that the fans booing bothered him - I don't blame him for having a normal human reaction to the usual turn of the tide with some Steelers fans towards every QB we have ever had in this city.

BBC
06-28-2006, 08:49 AM
OK. If Maddox made excuses, then Jeff Reed confirmed his excuses as he said the wind was a problem that day as well. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I left what you quoted out of my post because it was irrelevant to the discussion at hand, BBC, though I see nothing wrong with what he said there. He admitted that the fans booing bothered him - I don't blame him for having a normal human reaction to the usual turn of the tide with some Steelers fans towards every QB we have ever had in this city.

When after the game, the only thing that you bring up is the wind, Dan Krieder "bumping" you (which, btw, never happened), and the fans booing you, you're making excuses. The guy played like crap, I can live with that. What made me lose respect for him are the things listed above, and making up the crap about fans trashing his yard and picking on his kids.

Wind and fans are a part of the game, if you can't handle either as a quarterback; you're in the wrong sport. To sit there and complain about the wind, about the fans, and about some imaginary bump, rather than admitting your own mistakes won't get any respect from me.

BlackNGold203
06-28-2006, 08:54 AM

Dont kid yourselves.....if Ben has a terrible streak of games....he will get lambasted as well...

Look..I'm a lifelong Pittsburgher...and have been a die hard Steeler fan since the Dick Shiner days....this town is HARD on QB's...people forget how Bradshaw was treated...

i agree..Tommy's gone..end of story...but PLEASE dont live under the fallacy that the way Tommy was treated in a special case....Bradshaw...Malone...Brister...Woodley...O' Donnell...Kordell...Maddox...all were torched in their day...and there WILL come a day when Ben will be too...I hope and pray its not for a long time...but when he had that accident?...I could sense the wolves circling already...

This is a GREAT football town...THE BEST...but we are far from saints...we too have our faults....

BBC
06-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Dont kid yourselves.....if Ben has a terrible streak of games....he will get lambasted as well...

Look..I'm a lifelong Pittsburgher...and have been a die hard Steeler fan since the Dick Shiner days....this town is HARD on QB's...people forget how Bradshaw was treated...

i agree..Tommy's gone..end of story...but PLEASE dont live under the fallacy that the way Tommy was treated in a special case....Bradshaw...Malone...Brister...Woodley...O' Donnell...Kordell...Maddox...all were torched in their day...and there WILL come a day when Ben will be too...I hope and pray its not for a long time...but when he had that accident?...I could sense the wolves circling already...

This is a GREAT football town...THE BEST...but we are far from saints...we too have our faults....

Bro, I think you misread what Hometowngal wrote...

I don't blame him for having a normal human reaction to the usual turn of the tide with some Steelers fans towards every QB we have ever had in this city.

BlackNGold203
06-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Bro, I think you misread what Hometowngal wrote...

Actually i didn't....I know how she feels and i agree with her....what i was pointing out was....

The venom against Tommy Maddox..albeit for poor play...perceived excuses..or whatever...is typical of how this town treats their quarterbacks. Alot of people assassinate Tommy..and play it off like it's an isolated instance...when in fact there is a long litany of this type of treatment against men who have played QB here.

I'm not trying to stir up a storm here...all I'm doing is pointing out the fact that even though Ben..today...is considered the chosen one....(and he should be)...he is about 3 bad games away from this town roasting him.

HometownGal
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
When after the game, the only thing that you bring up is the wind, Dan Krieder "bumping" you (which, btw, never happened), and the fans booing you, you're making excuses. The guy played like crap, I can live with that. What made me lose respect for him are the things listed above, and making up the crap about fans trashing his yard and picking on his kids.

Wind and fans are a part of the game, if you can't handle either as a quarterback; you're in the wrong sport. To sit there and complain about the wind, about the fans, and about some imaginary bump, rather than admitting your own mistakes won't get any respect from me.

If you read the entire article from the Steelers own website, BBC, you would see that the wind, the Kreider bump and the fans booing him weren't the only things he talked about. He even openly admitted that he "didn't get it done". From the Steelers website link:

We fought through and had a chance to win in regulation and a chance to win in overtime but I didn?t get it done.

As I said earlier, the story about the trash in his yard and his kids being picked on were fabrications made by his agent, not Maddox, and played up by the media, not Maddox.

Look - the guy blew the game single-handedly and I don't dispute that. He stunk and there is no two ways about it. But when all is said and done, why belabor an issue that really had no adverse effect on the Steelers winning the SB? If that game had blown the Steelers' chances of making the playoffs, I could understand all of the anger, but it simply did not. I don't view anything that Maddox said that day as excuses, not at all. If Jeff Reed hadn't corroborated what Tommy said, I may have a different opinion but the fact remains that Jeff Reed did say the wind was a problem that day, as well.

When a player leaves the Steelers, even if that player wasn't one of my faves, I look back on what that player brought to the team no matter how small or large their contribution was, not the bad games they had or boneheaded plays they made at times.

Tommy simply got a taste of what every other Steelers QB has had to endure playing in this city. A hero one day and a leper the next. His statement that he didn't particularly enjoy the booing isn't abnormal - it's just part of being a human. All I can say is - poor Ben.

BBC
06-28-2006, 09:25 AM
As I said earlier, the story about the trash in his yard and his kids being picked on were fabrications made by his agent, not Maddox, and played up by the media, not Maddox.

Both Maddox and his agent were involved:

If you recall, McElroy and Mr. Maddox both claimed that angry fans threw garbage in Maddox's yard, and his children were harassed on their way to school.

Look - the guy blew the game single-handedly and I don't dispute that. He stunk and there is no two ways about it. But when all is said and done, why belabor an issue that really had no adverse effect on the Steelers winning the SB? If that game had blown the Steelers' chances of making the playoffs, I could understand all of the anger, but it simply did not. I don't view anything that Maddox said that day as excuses, not at all. If Jeff Reed hadn't corroborated what Tommy said, I may have a different opinion but the fact remains that Jeff Reed did say the wind was a problem that day, as well.

Thing is, I didn't care about the game. It was just one game, and it turned out to be a meaningless one in the long run. What I didn't like is the way the situation was handled. I actually liked Tommy, I was cheering for him, and I wanted him to do well as a back-up this upcoming season. He blew all of those things because of his actions after the game.

BBC
06-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Actually i didn't....I know how she feels and i agree with her....what i was pointing out was....

The venom against Tommy Maddox..albeit for poor play...perceived excuses..or whatever...is typical of how this town treats their quarterbacks. Alot of people assassinate Tommy..and play it off like it's an isolated instance...when in fact there is a long litany of this type of treatment against men who have played QB here.

I'm not trying to stir up a storm here...all I'm doing is pointing out the fact that even though Ben..today...is considered the chosen one....(and he should be)...he is about 3 bad games away from this town roasting him.

I haven't heard anyone play it off like it's an isolated instance. Everyone knows how QBs get treated here. Even the great Terry Bradshaw got his share of 'criticism' before he starting winning Super Bowls. That's how it is in every city. Win, or expect to be booed. Welcome to the NFL...

HometownGal
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM

Thing is, I didn't care about the game. It was just one game, and it turned out to be a meaningless one in the long run. What I didn't like is the way the situation was handled. I actually liked Tommy, I was cheering for him, and I wanted him to do well as a back-up this upcoming season. He blew all of those things because of his actions after the game.

We all know how the media can overexaggerate statements made by anyone - anything to sell a story. I don't remember hearing Tommy directly making those statements, but I did see the clip of the interview with his agent making the statement about the garbage and his kids being harrassed in school. For me, the jury is out on that issue.

I still don't see where anything he said after the game was so appalling. So sue me - LOL! :smile:

X-Terminator
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM

So let me get this straight...because IYO Tommy didn't kiss yours and everyone's asses after the game and accept the blame for everything, including the beer being warm, he deserves to be vilified? I do not understand that mentality. Apparently, it's OK for Jeff Reed to mention the wind being a factor, but not Tommy? I don't understand that one either. I've read just about every article there is on that game and I did not see Tommy pass the blame on to anyone. In fact, he ACCEPTED the fact that he didn't get the job done, as HometownGal pointed out. But you and everyone else who bashes him conveniently leave that part out just so you can continue to have a reason to vilify him. In other words...what Tommy supposedly did is equivalent to what Peyton Manning did after they lost the divsion PO game to the Steelers, when he actually DID point fingers at his offensive line? Sorry, I'm not buying that logic.

X-Terminator
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM

Agreed 100% and thought the exact same thing after Ben had his accident. If he comes back as anything less than the elite QB he had become, this town will be ready to crucify him. Guaranteed.

section514
06-28-2006, 09:54 AM
As a qb myself, I would just like to point something out. Throwing into the wind is not that big of a deal. Its the cross wind that messes us up. When the wind is blowing perpendicular to the line of scrimmage, it makes timing up passes very difficult. Unless you have the arm of Brett Favre, which Tommy did not, you are going to have troubles.

Just my 2 cents worth

HometownGal
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM
As a qb myself, I would just like to point something out. Throwing into the wind is not that big of a deal. Its the cross wind that messes us up. When the wind is blowing perpendicular to the line of scrimmage, it makes timing up passes very difficult. Unless you have the arm of Brett Favre, which Tommy did not, you are going to have troubles.

Just my 2 cents worth

Maddox had one hell of a gun until he was injured both in Tennessee and Baltimore. Not an excuse, just a fact. I think after the near paralyzing incident in Tennessee, he became consumed with the fear of being hit which is understandable. After his arm was injured in the Rats game, the gun was gone and his arm became more like linguine. I really believe he should have considered hanging up the cleats after those injuries because he was really never the same again.

nicesteel4life
06-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Maddox had one hell of a gun until he was injured both in Tennessee and Baltimore. Not an excuse, just a fact. I think after the near paralyzing incident in Tennessee, he became consumed with the fear of being hit which is understandable. After his arm was injured in the Rats game, the gun was gone and his arm became more like linguine. I really believe he should have considered hanging up the cleats after those injuries because he was really never the same again.

TOTALLY AGREE! I was a huge fan of his, but after that hit that landed him in the hospital not feeling his legs. Thats was it!!! I gave him credit coming back. Figured he would do OK. You could see his comfort level back there was GONE! HE was busy watching out the sides of his helmet instead of down field. He started to look like he was getting comfortable and his ARM gets ripped. That was truly it! Specially when Ben came in and did what he did. It took poor Tommy's confidence with it. Golf is what is left! I will always treasure my Autographs of Tommy. He was a true player. He was on the same side of the fence as us, and was lucky to get a second chance. He had a GREAT signature, and would sign for everybody. Gonna miss #8, thanks for the memories, good & bad!

BBC
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
So let me get this straight...because IYO Tommy didn't kiss yours and everyone's asses after the game and accept the blame for everything, including the beer being warm, he deserves to be vilified? I do not understand that mentality. Apparently, it's OK for Jeff Reed to mention the wind being a factor, but not Tommy? I don't understand that one either. I've read just about every article there is on that game and I did not see Tommy pass the blame on to anyone. In fact, he ACCEPTED the fact that he didn't get the job done, as HometownGal pointed out. But you and everyone else who bashes him conveniently leave that part out just so you can continue to have a reason to vilify him. In other words...what Tommy supposedly did is equivalent to what Peyton Manning did after they lost the divsion PO game to the Steelers, when he actually DID point fingers at his offensive line? Sorry, I'm not buying that logic.

Yes, that's exactly what I said :rolleyes:

I don't know where you come off with the "he didn't kiss yours and everyone's asses" remark. I never told him to take the blame for everything, but saying "I didn't get it done" is nothing compared to pointing fingers at the wind, at his fullback, and at the fans. Then add the fact that he and is agent made up a story about the fans, and of course the fans are going to turn on you.

I've got no problem with Tommy as a player, as I said, I actually wanted the guy to stay as a back-up until the Jaguars game. I don't care how he played in that game; everyone has an off-day. It's the way he handled himself afterwards. Don't take my word for it? Look at the fact that no one has signed him since he was dropped by the Steelers.

X-Terminator
06-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I said :rolleyes:

I don't know where you come off with the "he didn't kiss yours and everyone's asses" remark. I never told him to take the blame for everything, but saying "I didn't get it done" is nothing compared to pointing fingers at the wind, at his fullback, and at the fans. Then add the fact that he and is agent made up a story about the fans, and of course the fans are going to turn on you.

I've got no problem with Tommy as a player, as I said, I actually wanted the guy to stay as a back-up until the Jaguars game. I don't care how he played in that game; everyone has an off-day. It's the way he handled himself afterwards. Don't take my word for it? Look at the fact that no one has signed him since he was dropped by the Steelers.

I think no one has signed him since he was let go by the Steelers because they have questions about his heart and his arm - NOT because of the way you think he handled himself after the Jaguars game.

I made the "he didn't kiss yours and everyone's asses" remark because that's exactly what fans around here want players to do, especially quarterbacks. It doesn't matter if the man was being honest, or whether or not it was his fault - he has to say "put it all on me," or he's shit in their eyes. It's a part of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality of fans nowadays. So because you think he "handled himself poorly," you don't have any respect for the man anymore? His accomplishments just get flushed right down the toilet over a perceived "injustice?" I just don't get it, and I never will get it.

BBC
06-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I think no one has signed him since he was let go by the Steelers because they have questions about his heart and his arm - NOT because of the way you think he handled himself after the Jaguars game.

I made the "he didn't kiss yours and everyone's asses" remark because that's exactly what fans around here want players to do, especially quarterbacks. It doesn't matter if the man was being honest, or whether or not it was his fault - he has to say "put it all on me," or he's shit in their eyes. It's a part of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality of fans nowadays. So because you think he "handled himself poorly," you don't have any respect for the man anymore? His accomplishments just get flushed right down the toilet over a perceived "injustice?" I just don't get it, and I never will get it.

Accomplishments? Please. The man barely managed to have a winning record as the starter for the Steelers, and couldn't get past an AFC Divisional Playoff game.

That's how the NFL works, put the blame on the fans, the rest of your team, and the wind, and people will stop supporting you. Don't like it? Don't watch the games.

X-Terminator
06-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Accomplishments? Please. The man barely managed to have a winning record as the starter for the Steelers, and couldn't get past an AFC Divisional Playoff game.

That's how the NFL works, put the blame on the fans, the rest of your team, and the wind, and people will stop supporting you. Don't like it? Don't watch the games.

Look, we aren't going to agree on this. You think he blamed everyone? Fine. I disagree with you, and probably the overwhelming majority of this board. I realize I'm taking an unpopular position, but hey - someone has to speak up for the man. So we'll agree to disagree, because I'm sure this horse has already been beaten to death 100 times over.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Still relevant..still a good read..THANK YOU!!!

MNsteelers
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM

But I agree with you he saved our 2002 season when we started 1-3 under Kordell. That was a magical year. It was a real fun year to watch in 2002 and I will take some good memories of Tommy Maddox from that year. That comeback game against the Browns in the playoffs is one of my alltime favorite games.

I wish Tommy the best and no ill harm.

Both points are very good. I didn't like the way Tommy handled the Jacksonville game, during it or after it. What I liked even less were the idiots I was watching the game with who wanted the guy killed, or at least severely injured. It's far from easy to beat a quality team like Jacksonville when you haven't played in well over a year. I think he would have earned a ton of respect had he just said "I played a bad game. That's all there is to it." Just leave it at that.

And I'm with you, man. I think next to anything that happened this season, that 2002 playoff game against the Browns is one of my favorite games in anything anywhere. Tommy was the man...and that's how I choose to remember him, regardless of who did or didn't throw an interception or trash on someone's lawn.

p.s. we started 0-2 (losses at New England and vs. Oakland) in 2002, and Maddox took over in the fourth quarter against Cleveland in the third game, bringing us to an OT win.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Both points are very good. I didn't like the way Tommy handled the Jacksonville game, during it or after it. What I liked even less were the idiots I was watching the game with who wanted the guy killed, or at least severely injured. It's far from easy to beat a quality team like Jacksonville when you haven't played in well over a year. I think he would have earned a ton of respect had he just said "I played a bad game. That's all there is to it." Just leave it at that.

And I'm with you, man. I think next to anything that happened this season, that 2002 playoff game against the Browns is one of my favorite games in anything anywhere. Tommy was the man...and that's how I choose to remember him, regardless of who did or didn't throw an interception or trash on someone's lawn.

p.s. we started 0-2 (losses at New England and vs. Oakland) in 2002, and Maddox took over in the fourth quarter against Cleveland in the third game, bringing us to an OT win.

Your right about the start of the 02 season about Kordell being yanked in the third game against the Browns. But I thought the Steelers did start 1-3 that year. We beat the Browns in OT but I swear we dropped the next game against the Saints.

Stlrs4Life
07-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Good write up.

SteelersFanInSeattle
07-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Howdy folks.
I LIVE near Seattle, and have for 2 years now. I hated the Seahawks before the Super Bowl, not because of their players (although Matt "Hackeysack" is quite a whiny fellow...), but because of their bandwagoning ignorant "die-hard 'Hawks fans." What a bunch of inept jackasses. Most of them I've had the "honor" of watching games with really don't seem to know a pulling guard from a gunner. Some of them barely even know who's on the field for their own team! And they're still claiming they got jobbed in the game, waaah waaah waaah, etc. etc. What none of them ever admit to, is the missed opportunities their own team totally whiffed on.
The refs certainly didn't give up 37 yards on a broken play on 3rd and 28, or give up a Super Bowl record 75 yard run. The refs weren't the reason Mike Holmgren and Matt Hasselbeck have no clue how to manage a gameclock in the last 2 minutes of a half. The refs certainly didn't miss two field goals. Sure they were long kicks, but Josh Brown missed them wide, not short. Plus, he'd made kicks of the same distances in Qwest Field in conditions much worse than the pristine confines of Ford Field.
I'm sure much of this has already been discussed, but hey I'm new here! And I actually have to live with these people. This is awful to say, but I'd rather see the Browns or the Bengals win a ring than EVER see the Seahawks pull it off. What's that tell you about these "fans"?

HometownGal
07-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Howdy folks.
I LIVE near Seattle, and have for 2 years now. I hated the Seahawks before the Super Bowl, not because of their players (although Matt "Hackeysack" is quite a whiny fellow...), but because of their bandwagoning ignorant "die-hard 'Hawks fans." What a bunch of inept jackasses. Most of them I've had the "honor" of watching games with really don't seem to know a pulling guard from a gunner. Some of them barely even know who's on the field for their own team! And they're still claiming they got jobbed in the game, waaah waaah waaah, etc. etc. What none of them ever admit to, is the missed opportunities their own team totally whiffed on.
The refs certainly didn't give up 37 yards on a broken play on 3rd and 28, or give up a Super Bowl record 75 yard run. The refs weren't the reason Mike Holmgren and Matt Hasselbeck have no clue how to manage a gameclock in the last 2 minutes of a half. The refs certainly didn't miss two field goals. Sure they were long kicks, but Josh Brown missed them wide, not short. Plus, he'd made kicks of the same distances in Qwest Field in conditions much worse than the pristine confines of Ford Field.
I'm sure much of this has already been discussed, but hey I'm new here! And I actually have to live with these people. This is awful to say, but I'd rather see the Browns or the Bengals win a ring than EVER see the Seahawks pull it off. What's that tell you about these "fans"?

Hello and welcome! :smile:

Give 'em a bottle of whine to dry their itty bitty tears away.

http://www.nosnivelling.com/uploaded_images/Seattle%20Whine-736972.jpg

SteelersMongol
07-02-2006, 11:49 AM

This is some good stuff. Ha ha ha. :sofunny: I never "tasted" it. And I haven't seen anybody who "had" this. :smile: Only Seahawks fan in this area I kind of knew, I haven't seen him since the SB-XL. Before the game whenever he sees me in tha computer lab, he smiles and say "You guys are going down" and all I said was "You think so?!" (sorry my diehard Steelers fans, I don't like to argue with people). :smile:

But, man I tell ya, I heard him talking to another student before the game. Man, he had some respect and fear for our Steelers. He said "Off all the AFC teams that came out at the of the season, he wished the Steelers to be out first, because he thinks that Seahawks can probably handle the others (Bengals, Colts, and Broncos)." He said he is a diehard Seahawks fan, and "But to be realistic, Seahawks are gonna have really tough time against the Steelers defense." And the way he was talking about the Steelers, and all the other teams in the NFL, I thought the man really knows a lot. :smile:

X-Terminator
07-02-2006, 05:19 PM

Still vintage after all these months! :sofunny:

Elvis
07-04-2006, 06:54 PM
The Seattle Whine Bottle is new to me but it is cool! I am so sick of hearing that whining coming out of the Bungals and Hawkeeeeees!!! I am just ready for some FOOTBALL!!!
God Bless
Elvis

Elvis
07-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Can anyone remember Mark Malone? mmmmmmmmmm
He cost us a chance at the Super Bowl that year that Dan Marino went in his 2nd season... Malone just flat out STUNK!!!1
Of course Maddox could have won that game against Miami that year...
God Bless All
Elvis