PDA

View Full Version : HIGHLY Optimistic for 2012

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm shocked in my own self. I couldn't be more optimistic for this Steelers team heading into next season already. It's obvious that it's time for the Steelers to cut the dead-weight that was approaching. I'm eager to see how our GM Colbert, the Rooney's and Tomlin reacts to the off-season, the draft, and even Free Agency. It's time to make changes. That's exciting to me.

My predictions.
CUT: Chris Kemoeatu, Larry Foote, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Max Starks, Mewelde Moore. Bryant McFadden.

RESTRUCTURE: Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, Hines Ward.

RETIRE: Hines Ward, Aaron Smith.

RESIGNED: Jerricho Cotchery

I think it's still up in the air for Hines. If he were to come back, he would HAVE to restructure. If not, he'll retire, that's why I have him in two categories.

I think this MAY be the year the Steelers make a play in free agency with a need, particularly to the offensive line. Hope to see Tomlin have some balls during this off-season and make some moves. The time is now.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
hines and farrior should retire imo. loved both players over their time but they just aren't producing, especially for the amount of money they're being given.

cotchery was a good pickup and i wouldn't mind seeing him back. emmanuel sanders seems to always play well when he is healthy, but as of now, he has never shown he can stay healthy, so they may re-sign cotch as a result

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
We can't afford the luxury of paying a #5 WR 5 million dollars. I'll miss his permagrin, but the time has come for Hines to walk away.

MACH1
01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
We need a new OC or we can expect more of the same struggling to score 20 points a game.

steelers33
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Hampton,Farrior,Smith,Starks,Keisel,Kemo,Ward,Foot e, Hoke, Moore, McFadden are all done for me and I think Harrison has 1 season left in him were he splits reps with Jason Worilds. Look Hampton and Starks tore their ac'sl, career ending injury for Hampton( too old to come back) maybe for Starks too because you can consider he will gain 200 pounds while he's in recovery. Keisel severe groin injury I think will do him in, but he might come back. Farrior, Smith, Ward, Foote, Hoke, Moore, McFadden all wayyy to worn down and injury prone their done. And Kemo sucks and has an attitude problem, he's done unless he can turn that around. Look draft ILB 1st round( Vontaze Burfict or Dont'a Hightower preferably Burfict because I heard Hightower was slow) NT second round( Josh Chapman alabama or that guy from Washington) then guard or tackle third round to compete for starting job. I think our o-line in 2012 across the board would look like Gilbert Legursky Pouncey Foster Colon which I am okay with but I want good depth and even more quality people to challenge them. I think the secondary will be fine, we have some good young corners Mundy looks at least decent and Carnell Lake our d-backs coach is outstanding. And Pola prob has 2-3 more years in him. Just that I think Dick L needs to start taking less responsibility as a defensive coordinator and perhaps Butler steps up the LB coach. Regardless Dick could be kept or let go/retire and I will be fine with both. But yes I am optimistic about the roster turnover, and it is time for Tomlin to earn his money with his own players not Cowher's. Look people the reason I am most excited is that we have the best GM in football that almost never misses on talent. Mark my words we will reload not rebuild.

MDSteel15
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm shocked in my own self. I couldn't be more optimistic for this Steelers team heading into next season already. It's obvious that it's time for the Steelers to cut the dead-weight that was approaching. I'm eager to see how our GM Colbert, the Rooney's and Tomlin reacts to the off-season, the draft, and even Free Agency. It's time to make changes. That's exciting to me.

My predictions.
CUT: Chris Kemoeatu, Larry Foote, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Max Starks, Mewelde Moore. Bryant McFadden.

I think it's still up in the air for Hines. If he were to come back, he would HAVE to restructure. If not, he'll retire, that's why I have him in two categories.

I can see them cutting the others but not Foote if Potsie retires! And Starks is the reason Ben made it this long without getting killed when he came back this season...

Hopefully Keisel can recover because the last 3 years have been the best of his career!

plenewken
01-09-2012, 02:30 PM

My predictions.

I think this MAY be the year the Steelers make a play in free agency with a need, particularly to the offensive line. Hope to see Tomlin have some balls during this off-season and make some moves. The time is now.

Unless there are key changes in the coaching staff and overall game strategy, I don't think the personnel on the field alone is going to make much difference.
I'm just sayin'...

saveus1011
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Bruce will be gone.

Hines will stay for one last ride.

We're winning Super Bowl XLVII. Book it.

NoFieldFive
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
the 2012 schedule looks to be much tougher than this year's schedule was.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM

I have already booked it even tho this team look like there falling apart they always do something great the next season and we have 6 Super Bowls to prove it

(note* history repeats itself)

Here We Go Steelers Here We Go :tt04:

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm not nearly as optomistic. I fear the Steelers might be hitting a slid similar to the one they experience between 1997 and 2000 when the had seasons with 7-9, 6-10 and 9-7 records. I think the age of the defense and a lack of depth at positions with key players who have advanced in age has finally caught up. The AFC north has quickly become one of the, if not THE, best division in football. I see the Steelers struggling for wildcard position the next few years.

In addition the Steelers cap situation is sticky. They have nearly $70 million tied up with 6 players and have a significant number of free agents to deal with this off-season.

I would love to see LeBeau return. Sounds like it is more probable than not. I know hating Arians is popular among Steeler fans, but I've tried to hold my opinion on the matter since Roethlisberger wants him around. The redzone offense and the general play of the offense on the road was a serious concern this season, but with all the injuries the OL experienced and Wallace's disappearing act for most of the 2nd half of the season...I'm not sure where to place the blame entirely.

Hope I'm wrong. It's going to be an extremely long off season. Living in Denver and LOATHING everything about the Broncos, the place is almost intolerable today as it will be all week. I've run into countless Broncos fans today who are making jokes about Pittsburgh. It's hilarious. You've never met a stupid football fan until you have talked with a Broncos fan.:mad:

I PRAY for a Patriots victory. Something....ANYTHING....to shut these idiots up!!!!!

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I have already booked it even tho this team look like there falling apart they always do something great the next season and we have 6 Super Bowls to prove it

(note* history repeats itself)

Here We Go Steelers Here We Go :tt04:

I agree. Sometimes, a loss like this makes a team stronger and the overall organization stronger to correct a problem in the off-season. Look around, the youth has arrived. Not only that, but they are making PLAYS. It's all there. Just a few fixes here and there to get over that hump to simply reload.

I'm feeling good for 2012. Look at the Saints, losing last year to a 7-9 Seahawks team and coming back this year stronger than ever. I believe we have a better receiving corpse than Brees does. Like I said, HIGHLY optimistic.

narmold
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm feeling good for 2012. Look at the Saints, losing last year to a 7-9 Seahawks team and coming back this year stronger than ever. I believe we have a better receiving corpse than Brees does. Like I said, HIGHLY optimistic.

My thoughts exactly! The Broncos are the 2010 Seahawks, and we will be the 2011 Saints. I think our receiving core will be the best in the league, our O-Line will be strengthened in the offseason, and our defense well that could be the only iffy part. But focusing on the offense I think we will be a #1/#2 seed next year.

On the Broncos I think Tebow is the new wildcat. For a while people had no idea how to stop it, then they found a way and Miami falls apart. I think this will be the case for Denver next year and in the Super Bowl definitely or maybe even on Saturday.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
My thoughts exactly! The Broncos are the 2010 Seahawks, and we will be the 2011 Saints. I think our receiving core will be the best in the league, our O-Line will be strengthened in the offseason, and our defense well that could be the only iffy part. But focusing on the offense I think we will be a #1/#2 seed next year.

On the Broncos I think Tebow is the new wildcat. For a while people had no idea how to stop it, then they found a way and Miami falls apart. I think this will be the case for Denver next year and in the Super Bowl definitely or maybe even on Saturday.

a team like new england won't need to figure out tebow, the pats defense is terrible and gonna give up points anyway, even if their scheme is good. the question though, is tebow good enough to beat tom brady in a shootout? the answer is most likely no.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
a team like new england won't need to figure out tebow, the pats defense is terrible and gonna give up points anyway, even if their scheme is good. the question though, is tebow good enough to beat tom brady in a shootout? the answer is most likely no.

Brady, Gronkowski and Welker are going to pile up yds and points against them. No question.
The probability for Denver to win in Foxboro is very low, unless Brady is injured early in the game.
The spread is 13.5 pts for the Patriots as of today.

stb_steeler
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree. Sometimes, a loss like this makes a team stronger and the overall organization stronger to correct a problem in the off-season. Look around, the youth has arrived. Not only that, but they are making PLAYS. It's all there. Just a few fixes here and there to get over that hump to simply reload.

It really does come down to the saying any givin sunday..... We need major adjustments on OL and possibly on the D as well.....But lookin back on this past season, the will, the fire didnt seem to be there a whole lot. It really is true that footballs a young mans game especially in the injury department, it seems that our vets dont heal as fast as they used to. But this team has some young talent and it clearly shows that it wasnt used to its full potential. As a die hard fan myself i sure hope this isnt a funk of whats to come in the future, but i dont see it happening!.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
"Figure out Tebow?"

What is he some elite QB that needs to have high level OC's to figure him out?

Put Fing pressure on him he will crumbled. He almost crumbled a few times without pressure. No pressure his WR's run all over the field. Sort of like yesterday, lol

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
"Figure out Tebow?"

What is he some elite QB that needs to have high level OC's to figure him out?

Put Fing pressure on him he will crumbled. He almost crumbled a few times without pressure. No pressure his WR's run all over the field. Sort of like yesterday, lol

That 3rd down and 12 in the second QRT started the entire meltdown and we never regained momentum from the first half. Tebow stood back there and had a good 10 seconds to throw the ball. Coverage simply can't be held for that long period of time in the NFL. Ike had good coverage, as did Gay, but Lake has to teach these guys to look and play the football. They were there, just didn't locate the ball at any cost.

saveus1011
01-10-2012, 04:56 AM
the 2012 schedule looks to be much tougher than this year's schedule was.

So did 2008's compared to 2007's. Tomlin had them playing for everything that year too.

jtbsteeler
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM

My predictions.

Feel the same way. Cut the dead weight. Starting with James Farrior.

SoCalFan
01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
IF THE FRONT OFFICE CAN LISTEN TO US FANS AND SEE THE OBVIOUS! Lets get rid of dead weight, AND FINALLY focus on the O-line and secondary, even if this means tapping into the long time Steeler avoided FA market!.... The rest will take care of itself!

Jeeptj12
01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Bruce will be gone.

Hines will stay for one last ride.

Tomlin is quoted in him "anticipating" both LeBeau and Arians back.

Fire Arians
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Tomlin is quoted in him "anticipating" both LeBeau and Arians back.

i hope he's just being politically correct there. i don't mind if lebeau wants to continue but get rid of arians please

saveus1011
01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
LeBeau can come back for one last hurrah. Bruce HAS to go.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
So we can all agree Hines is done now or do I have to read more bullshit?

theplatypus
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Tired of reading your own drivel?

zero1
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I feel the same way. I can't wait to find out what they do with Hines, Hampton, Farrior, and the rest of the older guys. I think next year we come back much better than this year and take it all.

MACH1
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM

:yawn:

CASTEEL
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Can we get it started already please? Can't wait for next season ... need some offseason happenings to keep me going :)

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Tired of reading your own drivel?

Looks like the 3 stooges on this board are the only ones who haven't figured it out. He can't play anymore. When you lose your job to a 2nd year receiver who doesn't play and a 3rd string WR from the Jets, you're pretty much phased out. Just look at how many posters in this are topic he's done.

theplatypus
01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Looks like the 3 stooges on this board are the only ones who haven't figured it out. He can't play anymore. When you lose your job to a 2nd year receiver who doesn't play and a 3rd string WR from the Jets, you're pretty much phased out. Just look at how many posters in this are topic he's done.

Do we really need to go through this bs for the 1,000th time? I find it really hard to believe that even you can be this @!#@ing stupid. Not once did I ever say Ward was better than Brown. READ SLOWLY HERE AND TRY TO COMPREHEND THIS AS IT"S VERY SIMPLE. If you don't know the playbook you're not getting a starting spot, it's that simple. THat's all I've ever said despite your feeble attempts to spin it to the contrary.

Now go back under your little rock and play with the short bus folks at stillers.com.

ricardisimo
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Besides, nowhere is it written that he needs to start or be cut. There's more than two options, obviously. He's a pricey 4th or 5th, but he still has a role to play. Can't see him taking a pay cut, so it looks a little bleak. Could happen, though, especially if he feels he has enough money and just wants another ring.

Ricco Suavez
01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
If Hines does not budge on his contract, then we part ways. Wished he would consider being a WR coach, I think he has a lot to offer in that capacity. Farrior, Foote, Smith, McFadden should be gone. Big Snack and even Big Ben need to restructure their contracts. Ben could sign a new contract to extend it to make him a Steeler until he retires 5-8 years at most. Do something creative like the Colts did with Peyton to free up more money under the cap. Sign Wallace to a fair value contract, if he wants to much then franchise him and/or let him go. I would work to extending Browns contract now, if we gamble and wait he could have another big year and be out of price range like Wallace may be. What about Mendenhall's contract did we just resign him or does he have a new one coming up, if so i do not throw money at him, I believe we have some RBs that can do quite well.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
If Hines does not budge on his contract, then we part ways. Wished he would consider being a WR coach, I think he has a lot to offer in that capacity. Farrior, Foote, Smith, McFadden should be gone. Big Snack and even Big Ben need to restructure their contracts. Ben could sign a new contract to extend it to make him a Steeler until he retires 5-8 years at most. Do something creative like the Colts did with Peyton to free up more money under the cap. Sign Wallace to a fair value contract, if he wants to much then franchise him and/or let him go. I would work to extending Browns contract now, if we gamble and wait he could have another big year and be out of price range like Wallace may be. What about Mendenhall's contract did we just resign him or does he have a new one coming up, if so i do not throw money at him, I believe we have some RBs that can do quite well.

this coming season will be the last year of his contract