PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move on from Harrison

Truman_sparks
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
I think it is.

9 sacks, but hardly was ever a game changer. It seemed like he was just pushed wide by the tackle as he tries to speed rush to the outside every play. Add in the penalties, fines, etc. and I wouldn't be too sad to move on.

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
he's our best linebacker, i don't think so man.

skinart82
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
9 sacks and 5 games missed...........

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
It's hard too say really. He's still playing at a very high level and outside of the broken orbital he's been pretty much injury free. However, we're facing pretty big cap issues this year and need to inject some youth. If it comes down to being able to keep WAllace,Brown, and Sanders or Harrison then 2012 will probably be his last season.

PhantomJB93
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
No.

9 sacks is a respectable number especially when you factor in the injury and suspension. He got off to a slow start because he was coming off surgery, he was becoming a dominant force again right before he got the eye injury.

He's still got another few years in him.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
9 sacks while missing 5 games and playing hurt in a few. Causing the fumble in Indy was a game changer. I know a lot of people agree, and I know a lot of people will disagree, but he is held EVERY PLAY that he rushes on. Harrison's style is the Steelers style and he's playing great IN SPITE of the constant holds. If you replace him with somebody else who can get sacks like Harrison, plays the Steelers style, and gets to the point where he's playing as good as Harrison, have no fear he will be targeted and held all year. It doesn't get better than Harrison.

TRH
01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
He played great up until the time he got suspended.

Unfortunately, the legue's rules have influenced "his style" of aggressive play. Plus, he hasn't been 100% either, its easy to over look his injuries and bad back due to all the other highly publicized injuries to everyone else.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
He played great up until the time he got suspended.

Unfortunately, the legue's rules have influenced "his style" of aggressive play. Plus, he hasn't been 100% either, its easy to over look his injuries and bad back due to all the other highly publicized injuries to everyone else.

I loved when he went low yesterday and took that guy out of the game. I never want any player (maybe Flacco, Ray Lewis, or Brady) to get injured severely, but that must have really got Goodell's panties in a bunch. Here he is all year punishing every hit that was legitimate 2 years ago under the false premise of player safety, yet the man under the magnifying glass specifically goes low to cater to Goodell's rules and he hurts the guy he is hitting far worse than anybody he hurt with those alleged "illegal" hits. Yes I know he gave a few guys concussions, but I have had a concussion, and I much rather have that then my knee blown out and require surgery.

4xSBChamps
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I loved when he went low yesterday and took that guy out of the game. I never want any player (maybe Flacco, Ray Lewis, or Brady) to get injured severely, but that must have really got Goodell's panties in a bunch. Here he is all year punishing every hit that was legitimate 2 years ago under the false premise of player safety, yet the man under the magnifying glass specifically goes low to cater to Goodell's rules and he hurts the guy he is hitting far worse than anybody he hurt with those alleged "illegal" hits. Yes I know he gave a few guys concussions, but I have had a concussion, and I much rather have that then my knee blown out and require surgery.

"... LOOK... we gotta be able to fine Harrison somehow...

... I'm paying you guys with the money we got
from the seats that weren't built in-time for
last year's Super Bowl...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

... make-it happen!!!"

Darkstorm05
01-09-2012, 03:22 PM

I fully agree with that. He pretty much demonstrated what happens if you force a defensive beast to go low all the time. Unfortunately, Goodell will likely have this in mind when he signs the suspension for the Tebow hit.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Woodley had the same amount of sacks, and 3 or 4 of those were coverage sacks. Let's get rid of him too.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I think it is.

9 sacks, but hardly was ever a game changer. It seemed like he was just pushed wide by the tackle as he tries to speed rush to the outside every play. Add in the penalties, fines, etc. and I wouldn't be too sad to move on.

Come down from the emotion a tad bit and realize what you're saying! We will get EVERYTHING out of James Harrison before he calls it a career. He will be here for 2 more seasons and call it a career. Until then, he's our best backer on the squad, by far.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
It is NOT time to move on from Harrison. Ridiculous comment. At 33 he is entering the last few productive years of his career, I grant you. However, to understand what Harrison means to the defense you have to look past the stats and to the disruptive force he is on the field. Defenses have to account for him on every play. This helps to create opportunities for the others.

Corey_J
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Good thing the OP dont have a say in what happens.........Most foolish move ever if they would ever do it !

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Some of my posts are stupid, but this one takes the prize, lol

Its not about stats, and if you take into the fact all the stats, than take out the 5 games he played, also factor in Woodley being out.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Harrison will probably be fined for hitting below the thigh, lol Has Decker gone back and picked up his knee yet?

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I'll say it over and over again until you people get it: other teams' fans are peeking in on these boards peeing their freaking pants over us "eating our own" after a tough loss.

Get a clue, people. Let's assess who we're getting rid of so far this off-season: Ike Taylor, William Gay, James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Dick Lebeau, Bruce Arians (my pick, admittedly), Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, James Farrior, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Hines Ward, Rashard Mendenhall, Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Doug Legursky, Shawn Suisham, Daniel Sepulveda.

Did I forget anyone? I'm hoping Antonio Brown can play every position on both sides of the ball, as well as coordinate and coach, because you "Steelers" fans won't have anyone else on the team.

As much as I always hated this emote...
:coffee:

harrison'samonster
01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Harrison's a monster. He's going nowhere until his contract is over, then I could see him walking away.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I'll say it over and over again until you people get it: other teams' fans are peeking in on these boards peeing their freaking pants over us "eating our own" after a tough loss.

Get a clue, people. Let's assess who we're getting rid of so far this off-season: Ike Taylor, William Gay, James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Dick Lebeau, Bruce Arians (my pick, admittedly), Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, James Farrior, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Hines Ward, Rashard Mendenhall, Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Doug Legursky, Shawn Suisham, Daniel Sepulveda.

Did I forget anyone? I'm hoping Antonio Brown can play every position on both sides of the ball, as well as coordinate and coach, because you "Steelers" fans won't have anyone else on the team.

As much as I always hated this emote...

Most of those are extremely stupid...but you can make a point for Arians, Smith, Kemoeatu, and Suisham. Actually I think all of those are pretty much common knowledge among us Steeler fans, but as you pointed out, if we cut everybody that we wanted to cut after a loss then we would be pretty thin all the way around.

drizze99
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I think it is.

I think it's time for you to put down the crack pipe....

He had back surgery before the season started. He still wasn't 100% when the season started. Then he gets a fractured orbital bone. He still amasses 9 sacks, 59 tackles and 2 FF.... Yea, you're right, let's can him...

ricardisimo
01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Most of those are extremely stupid...but you can make a point for Arians, Smith, Kemoeatu, and Suisham. Actually I think all of those are pretty much common knowledge among us Steeler fans, but as you pointed out, if we cut everybody that we wanted to cut after a loss then we would be pretty thin all the way around.
Yeah, some of them are going to happen just because a new season is upon us, and even the Steelers lose players and cut players. It happens.

Here's the deal: we draft great players. We sign great free agents. They are all over the roster, and include at least two future Hall of Famers, maybe several more, depending on how the next five years or so play out. We are not the Jaguars or Raiders, literally throwing darts at a list of players.

We get them, develop them, and keep them. And we win with them. Harrison is just a very good example of that, so the OP is smoking crack.

One of our coordinators regularly gets top-notch production out of his top-notch players. The other does not. Someone definitely needs to go, and it ain't James Harrison.

stb_steeler
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah, some of them are going to happen just because a new season is upon us, and even the Steelers lose players and cut players. It happens.

Here's the deal: we draft great players. We sign great free agents. They are all over the roster, and include at least two future Hall of Famers, maybe several more, depending on how the next five years or so play out. We are not the Jaguars or Raiders, literally throwing darts at a list of players.

We get them, develop them, and keep them. And we win with them. Harrison is just a very good example of that, so the OP is smoking crack.

One of our coordinators regularly gets top-notch production out of his top-notch players. The other does not. Someone definitely needs to go, and it ain't James Harrison.

Good point.......Imagine if we lost all the good players. What next bring guys up from Scranton.....lol

TRH
01-09-2012, 09:45 PM

Either Farrior or Foote or both will be gone...both won't be back.

steeltheone
01-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Im not saying i agree with parting ways with Harrison But there is merit to the thought.
We used to part ways with aging productive players who were on the downside of their careers. 34 is on the downside. A few have had a couple of good years elsewhere while we replaced them with younger improving players.

Since Tomlin has taken over, this is not his approach. He rides guys to and past their prime.

Replacing Harrison would have more merit, unfortunatley we have 2 or 3 other aging players that need replaced now.

harrison'samonster
01-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Im not saying i agree with parting ways with Harrison But there is merit to the thought.
We used to part ways with aging productive players who were on the downside of their careers. 34 is on the downside. A few have had a couple of good years elsewhere while we replaced them with younger improving players.

Since Tomlin has taken over, this is not his approach. He rides guys to and past their prime.

Replacing Harrison would have more merit, unfortunatley we have 2 or 3 other aging players that need replaced now.

yeah the Steelers have been known to let go of aging productive players, but I've always thought that they either had a good person to take their spot, they were negotiating a contract and didn't want to give big money away, or their production was obviously not worth the money they were making.

I'm not a person who closely follows off-season moves, but this is how I've always thought about their decisions to let players go.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
people around here thought joey porter was the best thing since sliced bread... his best year was 10.5 sacks , and he only averaged 7.5 sacks a year over his 8 years ...now we have morons questioning harrisons ability because he only had 9 sacks in 11 games ? not to mention he wasn't 100% in a few.... jeebus people..get a F***ing grip :doh:

jjpro11
01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
people around here thought joey porter was the best thing since sliced bread... his best year was 10.5 sacks , and he only averaged 7.5 sacks a year over his 8 years ...now we have morons questioning harrisons ability because he only had 9 sacks in 11 games ? not to mention he wasn't 100% in a few.... jeebus people..get a F***ing grip :doh:

Porter left the Steelers and ended up having a career year in Miami two seasons later. just because we let a guy go, it doesn't mean he is going to fall flat on his face. Faneca was pretty productive also after leaving, not that we could afford to keep him anyhow.

Harrison will turn 34 this offseason. he's one year younger than Porter. unlike a guy like Porter, Harrison doesn't have the wear and tear of a typical 34 year old linebacker. he's only been a full-time starter since 2007. i don't know about you guys, but i didn't see much of a drop-off in his play this season. the back injury slowed him down early in the season, but he finished strong. he's been pretty durable since 2007. he missed one game in 2008 and 4 games this season due to a freak eye injury. other than his suspension, that's been it.

i don't know why you would want to cut a guy who just finished the season playing at a very high level. it's not like his play started deteriorating like other aging players.

StainlessStill
01-10-2012, 01:18 AM
A loss really brings out the worst in peoples observations. James Harrison is the only mf'er on this Steelers defense not named Troy Polamalu that plays like a complete animal and is a complete HOMEWRECKER for offense's. If it wasn't for Harrison, we wouldn't be in too many games. He's saved our ass's in so many games (caused the Flacco fumble against the Raturds at Heinz) that I lost count. Go on and count how many times he was held against Denver. He's still as unblockable as I've ever seen. He should be more respected than he is perceived in this thread. I thought he had a good season givin' his health status with his back and eye. But I know, we lost, "CUT EVERYONE!!!111!!1111!111! OMGOMG."

zero1
01-10-2012, 01:25 AM
No, not yet.

There are a few players the team needs to move on from this off season but James is not one of them. He is still a productive OLB and I believe he will continue to be one for another season or two.