PDA

View Full Version : What Tomlin does in the offseason..

RuHappy69
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Will determine the quality of Coach he is. Remember, most of the key players on this team he inherited. Sorta like Siefert with the niners.. He also retained LeBueau. So he has pretty much been in cruise control since Cowher left..

If he has the stones to make the hard cuts and go aggressive in FA (if there are any decent players there that will help us) plus the draft, then we'll see.

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Will determine the quality of Coach he is. Remember, most of the key players on this team he inherited. Sorta like Siefert with the niners.. He also retained LeBueau. So he has pretty much been in cruise control since Cowher left..

If he has the stones to make the hard cuts and go aggressive in FA (if there are any decent players there that will help us) plus the draft, then we'll see.

A. Tomlin doesn't sign players
B. When was the last time the Steelers were major players in the FA market?
C. Have you looked into our salary cap issues for 2012?

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Well said. Agreed 100%. I said it numerous times to my buddies. It's time for Tomlin to grow a pair of BALLS and make SOME moves to help this football team in the offseason. It won't hurt for them to bring in somebody via Free Agency either. It's time to do something ballsy. It doesn't have to be loud, but ballsy. Same goes for Colbert and the Rooney's to allow it! DO SOMETHING PITTSBURGH!

SteeleReign
01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree. I'm anxious to see how things go down. I've been somewhat critical of Tomlin, but I think he deserves time. He is very young, not much older than many of his players. I think it's time he puts his stamp on this team, and then we will see where it takes us.

DanRooney
01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't expect much from him at all. All I'm hoping for is getting a new OC and cutting some loose ends on the team. Is that too much to ask for?

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't expect much from him at all. All I'm hoping for is getting a new OC and cutting some loose ends on the team. Is that too much to ask for?

that's all we need to happen imo. but yes that's probably too much to ask for unfortunately. arians isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to retire, which is what i'm hoping for. I was hoping he'd land a HC job somewhere else, but unfortunately, not even the raiders are that stupid to hire him

Sixburgher
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Remember, most of the key players on this team he inherited.

Like Woodley, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Pouncey, Timmons, Hood, and Mendenhall?

The team was snakebit by injuries at precisely the wrong time this season (see three more major ones relatively early yesterday) and that is the main reason they went one and done.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Don't forget Redman, Moore, Heyward, Lewis, Gilbert, Allen & McClendon, all bright spots whether it be reserves or depth stepping up for the future. We are building nicely.

plenewken
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM

I would be very happy with Arians gone, 2 or 3 washed out $$$ veterans leaving, a couple of restructured contracts with existing players, a couple of long terms contracts with key players, and a good draft.
A FA deal for a solid guard or tackle would be the cherry on the cake.

steelax04
01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Don't forget Redman, Moore, Heyward, Lewis, Gilbert, Allen & McClendon, all bright spots whether it be reserves or depth stepping up for the future. We are building nicely.

But I thought you agreed with the OP 100%? :noidea:

stb_steeler
01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
This off season should and will be a good test for Tomlin to see if he can make the right adjustments. Tho this is the second bad season he's had.

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
But I thought you agreed with the OP 100%? :noidea:

I'm talking more of moves needing to be made and being aggressive, not necessarily the inheritance part. I believe Tomlin and Colbert has drafted quite well over the years. It's the "inherited" players that need to be examined, not Tomlin's guys.

Sixburgher
01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
This off season should and will be a good test for Tomlin to see if he can make the right adjustments. Tho this is the second bad season he's had.

"Bad" is a relative term, as he hasn't turned in a sub .500, or even a .500 season yet. Spoiled much?

Fire Arians
01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
This has to be the funniest thing I ever read lol. I bet money the guy who started it is a steelers fan, and not a dolphins fan though.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hire-Bruce-Arians/196831743741731?sk=info

"The Miami Dolphins need a new Head Coach who has the tenacity, temperance, and experience to build a championship team. Bruce Arians is the right guy for us fans who are yearning for a winning season."

"It's about time the Miami Dolphins got real and build a championship team. Please join our effort to inspire the ownership and decision makers. Fans deserve a winning season."

"Now with the Rams and the Bucs firing their head coaches, Miami is gonna have some competition and limited choices."

theplatypus
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Put down the pipe

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 04:54 PM
This team never signs free agents and eventually it will bite them in the ass as it pertains to the O line. I support and like the normal FO policy, they draft good, they secure the players we need to, they tend to make sure we are set at the most important spots while still not being to thin in to many areas, and they are quiet in the off season. That said, you have to make an exception now and then. Our drafting is great, we just don't have time to draft 2 or 3 more O lineman, hope 1 or 2 of them pans out, and start maybe one of them the following years. Pouncey is an exception, we won't get a rookie capable of starting game 1 again anytime soon, it's rare. So we need to get at least one or two O lineman in FA. A #1 corner that doesn't take a week off here and there would be good too, but that's wishful thinking and I'm not expecting that. But they really need to get an O lineman or two RIGHT NOW. Bringing anybody on the team is going to require cutting some guys who's performance has dropped off the last few years. Also, the OC position needs to change or at least get an extremely serious talking to. If Tomlin can do these things, especially as it pertains to cutting players and handling the OC situation, then we will be okay and I will have a lot more confidence in him. If he continues to let Arians wreck the offense under his watch and continue to start guys who physically can't even keep up with the guys they are covering just because they are vets, than we will have another year like this. Adjustments need to be made, for the most part they are minor, but minor or not they HAVE to be made. We can't stay the same while the league keeps finding ways to beat us.

Ricco Suavez
01-09-2012, 05:00 PM
When was the last time the Steelers made a huge FA signing. Most are nondescript players for a value signing. If we do sign a FA I hope its a quality O-Lineman or Cover Corner. But more than likely they will try to address the needs through the draft. I am worried Wallace is going to want more than the FO is willing to give and he will be gone.

tanda10506
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm worried about Wallace too, but his disappearance in the second half of the season and complete disappearance in the last few games definitely did not help his case. I'm not sure who's contracts are all up, but I think we will keep Wallace. There will be a good amount of vets that retire, I think. We don't need to get into much FA, we just can't complete ignore it like last year. I like Starks and I think Gilbert will pan out, also I think Pouncey will be a main stay in this line till he retires, but we need some guards. Ike Taylor was a shut down corner most of the year, but he failed in the most crucial of times, such as this last game, and nearly cost us a loss in Indy earlier in the year. I'd like to see Lewis battling for a starting spot, but rest assured, Ike Taylor and William Gay will be our #1 and #2 CB's next year, although it would be nice to get one corner in FA that plays every game he is in and can cover well man on man.

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm worried about Wallace too, but his disappearance in the second half of the season and complete disappearance in the last few games definitely did not help his case. .... Ike Taylor was a shut down corner most of the year, but he failed in the most crucial of times, such as this last game, and nearly cost us a loss in Indy earlier in the year. I'd like to see Lewis battling for a starting spot, but rest assured, Ike Taylor and William Gay will be our #1 and #2 CB's next year, although it would be nice to get one corner in FA that plays every game he is in and can cover well man on man.

Wallace is a growing mystery and not in any good way - Brown now appears to be the better WR although the question is how much of that is due to the defense still rotating to Wallace to take away the deep ball

I think Lewis replaces Gay in 2012 - Taylor just had a bad game - the Tebow pass to win the game was like the Warner pass to Larry Fitzgerald that almost won SB XLIII - once Ike was beat there was no safety support to stop a TD - think for moment what this pass defense would have been like if Taylor had taken his talents elsewhere in 2011

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Wallace is a growing mystery and not in any good way - Brown now appears to be the better WR although the question is how much of that is due to the defense still rotating to Wallace to take away the deep ball

I think Lewis replaces Gay in 2012 - Taylor just had a bad game - the Tebow pass to win the game was like the Warner pass to Larry Fitzgerald that almost won SB XLIII -

Not really. The Steelers were playing a Cover-Two on that pass play to Fitzgerald. He got inside Ike but there were safety's split across the field to take the right angle to make the play. Fitzy just outran our WHOLE secondary. We were geared to cover the pass in XLIII.

Tebow through against an inverted, 0 coverage defense. We weren't in a defense to defend the pass. There was no secondary to outrun. No safety help, which means no one in the deep halves of the field to take an angle and run the wideout down that way. Ike didn't have a shot.

harrison'samonster
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
This has to be the funniest thing I ever read lol. I bet money the guy who started it is a steelers fan, and not a dolphins fan though.

"The Miami Dolphins need a new Head Coach who has the tenacity, temperance, and experience to build a championship team. Bruce Arians is the right guy for us fans who are yearning for a winning season."

that is absolutely hilarious. Either a Steelers fan or Bruce himself wrote that.

steeltheone
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM

I think Lewis replaces Gay in 2012 - Taylor just had a bad game - the Tebow pass to win the game was like the Warner pass to Larry Fitzgerald that almost won SB XLIII - once Ike was beat there was no safety support to stop a TD - think for moment what this pass defense would have been like if Taylor had taken his talents elsewhere in 2011

Exactly wo Ike we would have been in big trouble!

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Not really. The Steelers were playing a Cover-Two on that pass play to Fitzgerald. He got inside Ike but there were safety's split across the field to take the right angle to make the play. Fitzy just outran our WHOLE secondary. We were geared to cover the pass in XLIII.

Tebow through against an inverted, 0 coverage defense. We weren't in a defense to defend the pass. There was no secondary to outrun. No safety help, which means no one in the deep halves of the field to take an angle and run the wideout down that way. Ike didn't have a shot.

Not really - The Fitzgerald play was designed to have the other receivers run patterns to the sidelines to take both safeties out of the center of the field and remove any deep safety support - the only guy Fitzgerald had to out run after he beat Taylor and got to that hole in the center of the field was Harrison

9GbKpY7U1uk&feature=related

There also is an issue whether Mundy got caught up closer then he should have ben to the line with a fake blitz - Tomlin would not bite today on a question as to whether Mundy screwed up his responsibility

StainlessStill
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Not really - The Fitzgerald play was designed to have the other receivers run patterns to the sidelines to take both safeties out of the center of the field and remove any deep safety support - the only guy Fitzgerald had to out run after he beat Taylor and got to that hole in the center of the field was Harrison

9GbKpY7U1uk&feature=related

There also is an issue whether Mundy got caught up closer then he should have ben to the line with a fake blitz - Tomlin would not bite today on a question as to whether Mundy screwed up his responsibility

You can clearly see Deshea Townsend and William Gay manning the outside containment on the sidelined routes. There was two safety's deep, Clark and Polamalu. Cover-2. They were just so deep that they didn't have the proper English when it came to direction to catch Fitzgerald due to how bad Ike was beaten to the middle. There was ZERO safety help for Ike against the Broncos. Two complete different coverages, not similiar at all in how it was supposed to be attacked. Nobody in the middle to even have a shot to take an angle on the play.

stb_steeler
01-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Put down the pipe

I cant, it goes with my drinking......:drink:

tony hipchest
01-09-2012, 07:21 PM

:yep:

basically a play ryan clark executes to perfection but the "standard is the standard" and "we will not make excuses".

I cant, it goes with my drinking......:drink:

:laughing:

stb_steeler
01-09-2012, 07:22 PM

"It's about time the Miami Dolphins got real and build a championship team. Please join our effort to inspire the ownership and decision makers. Fans deserve a winning season."

"Now with the Rams and the Bucs firing their head coaches, Miami is gonna have some competition and limited choices."

ONE WORD........WOW

jiminpa
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM

"Now with the Rams and the Bucs firing their head coaches, Miami is gonna have some competition and limited choices."Is this a petition? I'll sign! Maybe we should start a groundswell movement--Steelers fans for BA as Miami HC. After as good as Arians made their 32nd ranked defense look a few years ago they owe us. In fact, 3 or 4 weeks in a row that year we moved the 32nd ranked defense up in the standings, enabling our offense to suck against that worst defense in the league multiple times in one season.

jiminpa
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
As for what Tomlin does this offseason--I'm betting he has a few beers and probably plays some golf. I'm certain he'll watch the playoffs from the comfort of his home.

FanSince72
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I love how everybody is so eager to get rid of Arians yet it's the Defense that keeps giving up 3rd downs (both short and long), huge chunks of yardage and ultimately touchdowns.

Last I checked, Arians wasn't in charge of the Defense -- LeBeau is.

So why isn't anyone screaming for HIS head?

Truman_sparks
01-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Um....there are whole threads dedicated to that very topic.

bornaSteelersfan
01-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I love how everybody is so eager to get rid of Arians yet it's the Defense that keeps giving up 3rd downs (both short and long), huge chunks of yardage and ultimately touchdowns.

While I agree that our D often gave up too many 3rd down conversion (playing the CB's too far off usually), our offense can't score. Steelers were 21st in Red Zone efficiency this past season. That is weak for a playoff team that should be in the top 10 of that category. This team couldn't seem to score much more than 20 points per game (often quite a bit less). The defense made some incredible "clutch" plays during the season to give us a chance to win. Hell, even in the second game vs The Ravens, the D got the offense the ball late and they wound up simply punting it. That is pathetic! Look at the end of yesterday's game. After a stop by our defense, we had a chance to move up the field for a game-winning FG and the play calling was weak and poorly executed. That blame lies squarely on the OC. I do not think that Tomlin even realizes how bad Bruce Arians really is. I thought he would be gone a few years ago, but he keeps hanging on and getting extensions. I suppose the Rooneys are simply content with mediocrity on offense.

jiminpa
01-09-2012, 10:12 PM

So why isn't anyone screaming for HIS head?Some people are, but most of us figure they're still trying to drink this off, and have stayed drunk since last night. The rest of us actually want to keep the ONE facet of the game that usually works. Those eventual touchdowns, I think, still average out to less than two per game for the past decade. So while our offense makes two whole touchdowns a game look insurmountable, our defense actually tends to hold opponents bellow that. The reality is that two touchdowns a game isn't very good offensive production, and the fact that our offense rarely produces that much since Tomlin/Arians/Roethlisberger took over is a bad thing, and the fact that our defense rarely gives up that much is a good thing. When the offense doesn't suck more than the defense can overcome we win and everyone loves the offense, and when the offense sucks too much for the defense to overcome we lose and everybody blames the defense. It isn't very fair, but life can be like that.

60_MINUTES
01-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Well for one when your D finishes number one in the league I guess everyone gives you a break for one bad game.. not to mention at one time while woodley was out Dick had 4 Starters out of the game on D... in Denver... Hampton, Wood, Kiesel, Clark, yes I thought good replacements were in but facts are facts... and like I said when your Number one in the league I guess one bad game is not the worst thing in the world... just picked a bad time to have it....

BA on the other hand.. the guy just cont to not get it done.. bottom line BEN drops back and we play schoo yard ball 70 percent of the time... very seldom do we actually hit the play that is called... look what his OFF was when ben couldnt play school yard for a couple weeks in the row... thats all that needs to be looked at

MACH1
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Some people are, but most of us figure they're still trying to drink this off, and have stayed drunk since last night. The rest of us actually want to keep the ONE facet of the game that usually works. Those eventual touchdowns, I think, still average out to less than two per game for the past decade. So while our offense makes two whole touchdowns a game look insurmountable, our defense actually tends to hold opponents bellow that. The reality is that two touchdowns a game isn't very good offensive production, and the fact that our offense rarely produces that much since Tomlin/Arians/Roethlisberger took over is a bad thing, and the fact that our defense rarely gives up that much is a good thing. When the offense doesn't suck more than the defense can overcome we win and everyone loves the offense, and when the offense sucks too much for the defense to overcome we lose and everybody blames the defense. It isn't very fair, but life can be like that.

7<3.

IF just one of those fg's were turned into td's this game would have turned out very different.
As long as your happy with below average O then it's all good.

tony hipchest
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM

how do they say...

dont throw the baby out with the bath water?

lebeau = baby
arians = bath water

when it comes to assistant coaches in the NFL do people REALLY think arians is on the same level as dick lebeau?

i have never heard of arians regarded as a "great" OC (not even by his most die hard supporters).

i constantly hear lebeau regarded as such (by real nfl people) every day.

people who are content with having the 10th-20th ranked scoring, rushing and passing offense, demand that lebeau's defense go 14-2 every single year and win the championship.

why is there such a double standard?

defence
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
how do they say...

dont throw the baby out with the bath water?

lebeau = baby
arians = bath water

when it comes to assistant coaches in the NFL do people REALLY think arians is on the same level as dick lebeau?

i have never heard of arians regarded as a "great" OC (not even by his most die hard supporters).

i constantly hear lebeau regarded as such (by real nfl people) every day.

people who are content with having the 10th-20th ranked scoring, rushing and passing offense, demand that lebeau's defense go 14-2 every single year and win the championship.

why is there such a double standard?

Although i agree and Bruce Ariens is NOT a great oc!! Dick Lebau has not had a good season!! And please people stop with the #1 defence nonsense!!! Cleveland twice!! Indy, kc, rams, jags seahawks!! Not exactly anything to worry about right?? Well there were games in there we barely won against offences that wont scare real #1 defences!! And lets not forget the game he called against that college qb who threw us out of the playoffs!! I respect lebau for all of what he has done here; but i think if we are to move forward; we should do so by getting rid of both!!

Need4Sweed
01-10-2012, 07:16 PM
"Bad" is a relative term, as he hasn't turned in a sub .500, or even a .500 season yet. Spoiled much?

Exactly, I think Tomlin has fared well since taking over. Along with 12-4 this season. Injuries toward the end of the year was of epidemic proportions. And was one of the reasons that this season imploded in the playoffs.