PDA

View Full Version : Steelers facing tough personnel decisions

mesaSteeler
01-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Steelers facing tough personnel decisions

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 10, 2012

When the Steelers met Monday for the final time this season following a season-ending, 29-23 overtime loss to Denver in an AFC wild-card game, it may have marked the end of one of the greatest eras in franchise history.

It was the last time the Steelers will meet as a group until May. It's almost certain that several familiar faces who had a hand in the team's five division titles, three AFC championships and two Super Bowl titles will be gone.

The organization feels the current group of players can win another championship, but realizes it probably can't afford some key veterans who helped them win 105 games during a 10-year span.

"There's always going to be changes," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Monday. "There are changes every year. I am not going to sit here and pretend like there's not going to be changes. To what extent, at this point, I am not ready to address."

Projections have the Steelers between $20-$25 million above the salary cap for 2012, with 42 players currently under contract. Only the top 51 players on an 80-man expanded offseason roster count toward the projected $125 million salary cap, which is scheduled to be made official next month.

The Steelers' current $140 million worth of salaries don't include any of their 12 unrestricted free agents, six restricted free agents, two exclusive-rights free agents or any of their April draft choices.

Translation?

The Steelers will seek a pay reduction from some high-profile names in order to comply with the salary cap, or more likely will release a number of them.

"It's bad," said salary cap guru Dave Bryan of SteelersDepot. "They are going to have to cut established guys, and the situation they are in now, even a guy a like James Harrison has to be brought into the equation, although unlikely. This team has no choice but to make some very tough decisions."

Harrison is due $5.56 million this year. He would count as a $4 million cap hit if released, which makes it unlikely he would be one of the casualties.

However, releasing veterans such as Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Jonathan Scott, Will Allen, Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle before the start of the new NFL year March 1 would save the organization approximately $11-$13 million.

"We will see where this all takes us," Tomlin said. "Right now, I just have a great deal of respect and appreciation for the men in that room and what they were willing to do for us this year."

The organization also has to look into signing wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term deal. Even though Wallace is a restricted free agent, the team likely will work on an extension heading into training camp.

Other veterans whose contracts don't expire until after the 2013 season or later Brett Keisel, James Farrior and Hines Ward among them could be cut June 1 to reduce the salary-cap hit.

"Formally and informally, it starts immediately," Tomlin said. "I think that's how we are wired. I love what I do. The wheels continue to turn, and it's time to start building for 2012. Informally, it's already started. That's what this thing is all about."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Steelers facing tough personnel decisions - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_775846.html#ixzz1j3fiA6T7

jtbsteeler
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
I see nothing SCARY there. I've wanted fresh players for years.

skinart82
01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Just don't cut Brett Keisel, the dude is a true Steeler and needs to stay a Steeler

Curtain_of_Steel
01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't think the decisions are tought to make. Its prettyclear some changes are to be made and salarys that don't match up to quality play need to go.

I quesiton th efact why the guy didn't put Ward on the list. He can not agree that paying 5million for a 5th WR on the team is justified?

Fire Arians
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Just don't cut Brett Keisel, the dude is a true Steeler and needs to stay a Steeler

it would be stupid if they did that imo. keisel was probably the defensive MVP of the steelers this year, if i had to pick one.

skinart82
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
it would be stupid if they did that imo. keisel was probably the defensive MVP of the steelers this year, if i had to pick one.

I would say Keisel or Ryan Clark!

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM

And you would be wrong after your or.

ZoneBlitzer
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I would take a pass on Wallace. He's not a natural receiver. He's got poor hands and bad feet. Sure he can fly but he is severely lacking in receiving fundamentals. You look at that hit he took in Denver. He had the defender out on an island and ran right into him. He can burn past guys but he doesn't have the agility because of his bad feet. He struggles to beat guys one on one. If you put AB in that same situation or even Sanders, they would've beaten that defender. Brown is the number one receiver on this team. The Steelers should look to draft a big physical receiver if there's one out there. Save the money and let Wallace walk.

Bayz101
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Bryant McFadden.

TRH
01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I would take a pass on Wallace. He's not a natural receiver. He's got poor hands and bad feet. Sure he can fly but he is severely lacking in receiving fundamentals. You look at that hit he took in Denver. He had the defender out on an island and ran right into him. He can burn past guys but he doesn't have the agility because of his bad feet. He struggles to beat guys one on one. If you put AB in that same situation or even Sanders, they would've beaten that defender. Brown is the number one receiver on this team. The Steelers should look to draft a big physical receiver if there's one out there. Save the money and let Wallace walk.

I originally had thought we are going to pay this man.......but i've really changed my mind on this one.
He's got a blimp-sized ego and hasn't really looked like a 100% hustler. He WILL command huge, huge money when its contract time and there are probably a half dozen teams out there that will give it to him...he's going to get some big offers thats for sure.
I like his speed like everyone, but in my honest opinion, thats going to be a helluva lot of money we could spend elsewhere and we've got offensive lines to worry about, defensive lines to worry about, and defensive backfields that need a-fixin'.

Opt2loc
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM

I wish you were the GM. I would love to see Wallace wearing a Raven uniform.

The kid is good.

steeltheone
01-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Ryan Clark? He cant cover his shadow anymore? He still hits hard, thats about it.

60_MINUTES
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM

GOOD LORD NO... dont pass on Wallace.. We actually need to embrace what we are.. in the past we spent big money on QB spot, RB ( Bettis ) WR ( Ward ) and of course O line and D got their money... we couldnt afford to keep a guy like Plexico Burris cause we couldnt pay money for two number one's.. That makes since.. however we hardly run at all anymore.. and lets face it ... with BEN and BA we wlll not run at all the next 5 years or so... The running we do just about any back in the league can come in and get some yards for us.. so lets just embrace who we are and instead of giving our money to QB RB and WR... just go ahead and pay wallace number one money and when brown comes up next year give him number one money as well.. bring in a journey man RB to go with guys you draft like redman and you are ready to go.. its simple you dont let wallace walk because you dont have to..

by the way I see what you are saying from time to time however wallace actually reminds me of a jerry rice style of receiver... we need to use him in that way.. the crossing patterns and getting him the ball in space.. how many times did rice take a 5 yard cross pattern 60 yards? Wallace can do the same thing if our Retard O Cord can learn how to use him

stb_steeler
01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
I wish you were the GM. I would love to see Wallace wearing a Raven uniform.

The kid is good.

Some people just dont make any sense.......:wink02:

DanRooney
01-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Sanders is very average people. Nothing makes me cringe more thank people lumping him in the same boat as Brown.

tony hipchest
01-13-2012, 01:47 AM
i cringe at the thought of people giving any credence to anything Captain Hindsight posts. after all, worilds isnt in the same boat as thad "servin up chiken planks at Long John Silver's" gibson.

it took a broken foot and multiple surgeries (and a mother that died) for brown to pass sanders on the depth chart.

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2012, 01:49 AM
However, releasing veterans such as Aaron Smith (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=83274#), Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Jonathan Scott, Will Allen, Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle before the start of the new NFL year March 1 would save the organization approximately $11-$13 million.

Other veterans whose contracts don't expire until after the 2013 season or later — Brett Keisel, James Farrior and Hines Ward among them — could be cut June 1 to reduce the salary-cap hit.
with the exception of keisel , i agree with everyone of them PLUS add kemo to the list.
aaron smith is going to cost them 875k whether they keep him or not. all of his money is guaranteed

tony hipchest
01-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Ryan Clark? He cant cover his shadow anymore? He still hits hard, thats about it.i'd put money on him properly executing his assignment on the final play of the game last sunday...

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Sanders is very average people. Nothing makes me cringe more thank people lumping him in the same boat as Brown.

Sanders is not average at all... Yes Brown looks like he may have that something extra going on.. His speed may seperate him a bit but sanders is very solid to..He actually ( If Healthy ) will prove to fit our OFFense as good if not better then anyone.. He is one of the best Ive seen at our school yard ball and finding the open spot.. he is great at moving without the ball on the underneath routes and picking the zones apart.. Im actually very thankfull he has been injured a bit cause if he had been going off the past couple of years it would be no way to keep our three.. but now I think we can.. I say we dont pay for a big money RB and we put our money into our three WR..

Steelerfreak58
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Offer Hampton, Foote, Ward, Farrior, Colon, Starks, Komeatu all league minimum to stay on the team and also let them know they are going to have to earn their spots.

Hamptons injury really is going to hurt us he is going to be immobile and he has battled weight problems often. I expect him to balloon up. Same with Starks. I think Starks did a really good job this year coming in off the couch I think it made him respect his team and spot playing a little more. His play was pretty solid minus a few rough spots. Colon just hasn't played would love to see him play a full season. Komeatu isn't worth what they are paying him right now league vet minimum he would be.

Farrior and Foote are both great players but their age is catching them let them be back ups and allow one of them to mentor the younger LBs.

Fire Arians
01-13-2012, 10:54 AM

i bet money if sanders can stay healthy he will have a bigger season than brown. in his limited time he's shown much better ability to get open quick and run crisp routes. the kid is MONEY. if he can stay healthy is the question, i'd give him another shot.

also speed wise he's just every bit as fast as antonio, if not faster. he caught a pass against denver and accelerated upfield faster than I've seen brown or even wallace ever do

DanRooney
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
i cringe at the thought of people giving any credence to anything Captain Hindsight posts. after all, worilds isnt in the same boat as thad "servin up chiken planks at Long John Silver's" gibson.

it took a broken foot and multiple surgeries (and a mother that died) for brown to pass sanders on the depth chart.

Is Thaddeus Gibson the only thing you can bring up? Seems like you've been bitch slapped by me so much that this is your last line of defense :chuckle: I'm sorry Worilds hasn't been the all-pro you thought he was.

Are you still mad that Hines Ward isn't the #1 receiver? Or that Brown learned the playbook in 2 weeks and became the Steelers MVP? Or that McLendon hasn't become the starting defensive end because he's so much better than Heyward at a different position :rofl:.

DanRooney
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
i bet money if sanders can stay healthy he will have a bigger season than brown. in his limited time he's shown much better ability to get open quick and run crisp routes. the kid is MONEY. if he can stay healthy is the question, i'd give him another shot.

also speed wise he's just every bit as fast as antonio, if not faster. he caught a pass against denver and accelerated upfield faster than I've seen brown or even wallace ever do

idk man. I haven't seen it yet. When Sanders pretty much entrenched at the #3 last year, I didn't see anything that stood out like what Brown is showing this year. He wasn't as good after the catch because he had a problem of unnecessarily diving for the ball almost every time he was thrown to. He just doesn't seem like a game changer to me. A nice guy to have as a #3 purely based on athleticism but I think we'd be screwed if we lost Wallace and he was our #2 with Brown as the #1.

tanda10506
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Will we have to make the decisions and contracts on our vets and FA's before the draft or will we be able to see who we can draft first?

Goldsteel86
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
IMO look at Wallace first, I would like to see Hines back to finish his career. After that, goodbye, Leftwich and Dixon, I would keep Batch, he is such an asset as a mentor and I hope one day would be a coach. See ya, McFadden, Smith and Kemo. As far as the draft goes, OL needs to be the priority, Legursky would be on the chopping block if he wasn't a dual player, also need to take a look at Pouncey's durability, in the long run he seems to be absent for the "big games" Keisel needs to remain a Steeler, "Big Snacks" it was nice while it lasted , take apay cut or "Bye-bye" just my opinion!!!!

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
IMO look at Wallace first, I would like to see Hines back to finish his career. After that, goodbye, Leftwich and Dixon, I would keep Batch, he is such an asset as a mentor and I hope one day would be a coach. See ya, McFadden, Smith and Kemo. As far as the draft goes, OL needs to be the priority, Legursky would be on the chopping block if he wasn't a dual player, also need to take a look at Pouncey's durability, in the long run he seems to be absent for the "big games" Keisel needs to remain a Steeler, "Big Snacks" it was nice while it lasted , take apay cut or "Bye-bye" just my opinion!!!!

again I agree with you for the most part... either Farrior or foote or maybe even both have to go as well.. we need the money space.. As far as Pouncey we need to just hope like hell he gets injury free.. that is one kid we cant afford to try an replace.. he is a probowl kind of guy that has to turn into that 10 year stud anchor we drafted him to be.. OL has to be the way to go... and BIG Snack has been a beast.. however the past two years he pretty much is getting blocked by the center every play.. hes been in the league 10 years and tore his ACL JAN 12... there is no way what so ever he will be any kind of force at all this year...with his history of being out of shape coming into camp its just no way we should keep him.. hes been great but its time to move on... Maybe get a NT second round or bring a FA in this year to get us through the year with McClendon having to step up as well

Goldsteel86
01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
again I agree with you for the most part... either Farrior or foote or maybe even both have to go as well.. we need the money space.. As far as Pouncey we need to just hope like hell he gets injury free.. that is one kid we cant afford to try an replace.. he is a probowl kind of guy that has to turn into that 10 year stud anchor we drafted him to be.. OL has to be the way to go... and BIG Snack has been a beast.. however the past two years he pretty much is getting blocked by the center every play.. hes been in the league 10 years and tore his ACL JAN 12... there is no way what so ever he will be any kind of force at all this year...with his history of being out of shape coming into camp its just no way we should keep him.. hes been great but its time to move on... Maybe get a NT second round or bring a FA in this year to get us through the year with McClendon having to step up as well

I believe Foote could replace Farrior if needed, Pouncey has me concerned, no doubt he is a great player but the injuries just like Sanders worries me. Now OL needs to be the the primary focus, defensive line needs to run a very close second!!!! Just my opinions!!!!

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I believe Foote could replace Farrior if needed, Pouncey has me concerned, no doubt he is a great player but the injuries just like Sanders worries me. Now OL needs to be the the primary focus, defensive line needs to run a very close second!!!! Just my opinions!!!!

your right again... Sanders and pouncey are great Im crossing my fingers their problems are behind them... we have to have pounceys behind him.. Sanders I see as one of the best route, slot receivers in the game after he settles in .. He will be a master at finding the open hole when BEN is playing school yard ball.. reminds me of a smaller but faster hines ward... He will work the zones and find the ball.

Like I said I would love to see 2 out of 3 picks OL... DL looks okay for a year... goodness sake we got two number ones out of 3 guys so it better be okay... I actually see Tomlin and company needing to do what they did a few years ago next year... 2013 we need to draft another Timmons, Woodley combo to replace harrison and whoever we use as a bandaid this year at ILB...

Bottom line we need to hit our draft picks the next two years... cant miss the number ones or twos and it would be nice to hit a 3 in one of the years and a 3 or 4 in the other year

We need 2 OL, NT, ILB, OLB, and S and need all of them to be stud stars like th ones they are replacing.... thats 6 spots so the drafts cant miss ( S im talking about is Clark.. Im praying Troy can play 3 to 4 more years

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 09:37 PM

this is one of the only things I disagree with you on bud... we cut him a few years back for being average... dont get me wrong I think he can play a little and is a good team player and back up.. knows the D well''

however he just dont have the skill set to get it done... teams will expose him on the shot passing game. and he just cant fill the hole because of his size.. Im not sure we have the draft space this year for ILB so I would hope maybe they bring in someone for a year.. a solid vet to help split time with foote.. maybe Steven S will come around in the off season and develope into a Earl Holmes at least.. that would be good enough for a year or two

tanda10506
01-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Will we have to make the decisions and contracts on our vets and FA's before the draft or will we be able to see who we can draft first?

Anybody?

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 10:22 PM

we will have a good idea with some of them... FA period will start before the draft.. we will tender some guys but that wont mean for sure they will come back... some other guys will be cut june 1st but you know the steelers will know who they are before that date...

to answer you question Yes for the most part we will know what we need come draft time.. most of our FA we will know if they are coming back or not.. their contracts may not be complete but we will pretty much know who we got

tanda10506
01-13-2012, 10:35 PM
we will have a good idea with some of them... FA period will start before the draft.. we will tender some guys but that wont mean for sure they will come back... some other guys will be cut june 1st but you know the steelers will know who they are before that date...

to answer you question Yes for the most part we will know what we need come draft time.. most of our FA we will know if they are coming back or not.. their contracts may not be complete but we will pretty much know who we got

Actually that does sound better now that I think about it. I was hoping we could draft first, that way we could just go for the best players and not target specific positions so much, but actually it would be better to know if there are any spots we need to fill. I don't know what "tendering" means, does that mean make them an offer?

I just made a detailed description of how I would draft, retain, and cut this off season under this thread:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=83394&page=3

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Im not an expert at all the off season stuff but I know enough to keep up I guess.. anyway you can tender your FA.. different level Tenders ( restricted FA that is) the higher Tender you put on them means you pay them more and if a team signs one of your FA then you get draft picks for them...

Example if we Tender Wallace with our Highest Tender and someone signs him.. we have the right to match that to keep him... if we dont match the offer then we lose him but we get a number one pick from them.. again I believe all of this will take place before the draft.. I know we will do our tenders before then.. and I think we will start working out our deals with them before as well