PDA

View Full Version : Backup QB position...what should Steelers do?

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-10-2012, 10:47 AM
The backup QB position was forced into the spotlight this season. Bill Polian claims to have been fired for not having groomed an adequate backup and several teams have had to go to their backups (Chiefs, Texans) for long stretches. One team is still alive (Texans) thanks to the steady play of their backup.

With all three of the Steelers backup QB's being unrestricted free agents....what should the Steelers do at this position. Should any of them be retained? Which one of them is most likely to secure enough wins to keep the teams playoff hope alive next season if Ben were to go down for a long stretch?

Dennis Dixon started last season as the starter, beat Atlanta with a fairly decent 18-26 for 236 yards and a pick performance but ended up with a knee injury that put him on IR in the game the following week against the Titans after starting the game 4-6 for 18 yards. With Leftwich on the IR this season, Dixon failed to beat out an old Charlie Batch for the backup role. He has only played in 4 games for the Steelers since being drafted in 2008.

Batch has proven to be a steady backup, but he'll be 38 years old. He came in and help secure the Titans victory last season and then started the following two weeks against the Bucs and Ravens. In the 3 appearance he put in last season because of Ben's suspension, Batch went 29-49 for 552 yards, 3 TD's and 3 picks. The Steelers started off 3-1, but most of that was because of the amazing defense they were playing....the offense was less than spectacular. When Batch took over in the Browns game this year, I didn't see a guy who could win multiple games if he was called into service. He has a TD to INT ratio of 5-7 since the start of the 2006 season and a career ratio of 49-42. Not great numbers...

Byron Leftwich has played in just ONE game since September 27, 2009 when he was benched by Tampa Bay. That one game was a decent 5-7 for 42 yards against the Browns late last year. He hasn't shown he can stay healthy.

I guess I would say that I have the most trust in Leftwich. If given time to get comfortable with the first time offense and given enough game reps, I believe he would have the best chance to carry the team.

...or would they be best served not resigning any of them and striking out in the free agency market....or even drafting a QB in the 5th or 6th round and given him a shot?

TRH
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM
this will be an interesting move. Some type of move has to be made, Batch isn't a suitable back-up. Not sure what they'll do....but it will definitely be something.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Leftwich is our backup but they are going to cut ties with Batch and Dixon. We'll likely draft a guy in the later rounds.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Leftwich is our backup but they are going to cut ties with Batch and Dixon. We'll likely draft a guy in the later rounds.

Agreed - Tomlin is a Leftwich guy - unfortunately Leftwich usually breaks down for the year in preseason

Dixon wants out ands has no future with the Steelers

Batch was a good backup but is gone since Tomlin has little faith in him - too bad Tomlin did not trust him to play in at least the second Cleveland game

Need to spend a 4th-5th round pick on a QB

Fire Arians
01-10-2012, 12:21 PM

leftwich is getting injured more than charlie batch lately. agree with the above poster, maybe consider a late round pick on a qb

GMU Steeler
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I like the idea of drafting someone in the mid to late rounds or finding someone the way we found Charlie and Leftwich. Someone who has started in the league before but is a backup at this point in their career.

ZoneBlitzer
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Get rid of that useless toothpick Dixon and draft an heir apparent to Ben.

Christian Snyder
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
They should draft a QB in one of the later rounds. They need to draft someone they'll actually use instead of getting Ben hurt in week 17, like they did this year.

StainlessStill
01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
If Kellen Moore is sitting there in say, the 4th round, do we take him? I say YES. My dad, back in 2003, said "If this Roethlisberger kid is available we HAVE to take him. I won't watch another Steelers game if we don't! Sure enough, we took him! This draft? We understand our backup options, which isn't good givin the age and injury prone. My dad says take Kellen Moore if he's there in the later rounds. I agree with his observations. I believe Moore will go round 2/3 though. What's his projections?

Curtain_of_Steel
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Leftwhich is fine. Keeping 4 qbs on the roster is tough. Batch needs to go.

If a good QB is available aroung 5 or 6, take him, than get rid of Dixon

tburhans
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Kellen moore is a proven winner at the college level. He's also a very accurate qb. His weaknesses are his mobility as he is strictly a pocket passer and the level of competition he's played against. But he's still a guy id take a shot on in the later rounds if available

Curtain_of_Steel
01-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Well to play behind our Oline we need a mobile QB, lol. So much for him. Kellen is breathing a sigh of relief, lol

ShutDown24
01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Dixon goes. Batch goes. Keep Leftwich and draft a smart kid in rounds 5-7.

sharkweek
01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Leftwich is like Mr Glass. I have most faith in him as a backup as far as ability goes, however I have almost no faith in him surviving the season even as a backup...that's not good

Steelerindc
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Why does everyone think Batch is such a bad backup?

Fire Arians
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Why does everyone think Batch is such a bad backup?

no idea, isn't he like 6-2 as a starter for us? I don't think that's bad at all for a backup qb.

batch just has durability issues, that's what killed him from becoming a star in detroit, he couldn't ever finish out a season without losing time to injury. as a backup though he's money. his age is a concern now though and maybe we should look to a different backup for the future.

MDSteel15
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
I think the Steelers screwed the pooch the final 3 games of the season by not playing Dennis Dixon! Why you ask?

1. Because we were already in the playoffs!
2. It would have rested Ben's leg which we know was needed...
3. and most of all it would have let us know if we had any trade value for Dixon knowing that he doesn't want to be here!!!

We should pick up some one in the later rounds like Keenum, Weedon, Tanneyhill or Moore...

Bayz101
01-12-2012, 04:36 PM
If Leftwhich is able to stay healthy, he'll be the backup. I honestly believe Lefty throws harder than Ben.

LVSteelersfan
01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Sorry, but Batch is too old. Leftwitch is too fragile. Dixon is not going to make it because he is like Kordell 2. I guess Lefty is the best of the three but the Steelers need to draft a QB some time or bring in a veteran who might get jettisoned elsewhere.

Fire Arians
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Sorry, but Batch is too old. Leftwitch is too fragile. Dixon is not going to make it because he is like Kordell 2. I guess Lefty is the best of the three but the Steelers need to draft a QB some time or bring in a veteran who might get jettisoned elsewhere.

dixon isn't on kordell's level.

zcoop
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Don't know why all the hate for Dixon but we really have not had a chance to see what the guy can do. We never play the back ups during a game. We had an opportunity to see what he had but Mike failed to give him the ball during the last three games of the season.

Some want to go with winners at the collegiate level, well don't forget that Dixon was a winner in college too. Put him out there and see what we got.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Some want to go with winners at the collegiate level, well don't forget that Dixon was a winner in college too. Put him out there and see what we got.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. When given the chance Dixon has definitely proved that he can be a viable backup. He had an amazing game in his first start against a scary ravens defense and he managed a beautiful game against the falcons last season. He brings a mobile backup and super smart. I feel that our backup should be him and we definitely need to sign another veteran backup QB just to mold him even more and help Big Ben with calling out defenses. I have seen many mock drafts with us taking a QB, but that is soo stupid, for one it is a waste of a pick for us to take a qb right now, and too it is stupid because it is not a major area of need. Our draft picks need to go to both lines and the secondary

tanda10506
01-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Leftwich will be our back up as mentioned, but I'm not sure we should get rid of Batch. Every time he fills in he does well and Leftwich is injury prone. I understand wanting to get a rookie QB low in the draft and see how he comes along, but how good of a QB are we going to get with a 7th or 8th. The argument could be made though that there are always back up QB's you can sign in a dire situation, so maybe get rid of Batch and see if we get lucky with a low pick.

Raw Steel
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I never understood why they have soured on Dixon. When he has played, he has been just fine.

steeltheone
01-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Leftwich will be our back up as mentioned, but I'm not sure we should get rid of Batch. Every time he fills in he does well and Leftwich is injury prone. I understand wanting to get a rookie QB low in the draft and see how he comes along, but how good of a QB are we going to get with a 7th or 8th. The argument could be made though that there are always back up QB's you can sign in a dire situation, so maybe get rid of Batch and see if we get lucky with a low pick.Leftwich and Batch both get injured very easily!