PDA

View Full Version : What position to target #1?

Truman_sparks
01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Looking at some of the first mock drafts, I see some pundits saying we go ILB, OG, DL or CB with the first pick. Where should we go? We have needs at all spots, and of course it depends on who comes off the board.....but what position would you like to see targeted at #1?

For me, I think we need help on the O Line, but I'd like to see us target a FA there, and go with a D Lineman or ILB to replace Foote and/or Farrior.

theplatypus
01-10-2012, 04:10 PM
The best available player at OL,DL,CB,or LB. Unless Luck somehow happens to fall all the way to 24 or the guaranteed 2nd coming of Walter Peyton happens to fall in our lap.

StainlessStill
01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
LG, MLB, NT, CB. All needs right away.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Depends if we will go against the grain and bring in some free agents. If we plan on having a great draft again, and stocking on on more DB's that can't play, than we might go DB DB DB DB OL, lol

But I'll go out on a limb and guess we go best available, lol

Sure hope its an OL or a corner.

Is the uperbowl over yet so we can move onto the draft stuff?lol

FanSince72
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
CORNERBACK.

Then we need to look at CORNERBACK.

And if there's time, we can even consider a CORNERBACK.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 04:35 PM
ILB.

ricardisimo
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Guard. We can argue about whether there's another season to squeeze out of the likes of Farrior and Foote, but there's no such discussion at guard. There's nothing there to begin with.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
You've got to remember LeBeau is not going to let any defensive draft player start, especially at a position like ILB. It'll take a year for them to learn the defense.

Spidey
01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
The Guard from Georgia, name escapes me?

tanda10506
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
CORNERBACK.

I feel your pain lol, but we got 2 CB's that we drafted last year that are supposed to be pretty good. If we get a shut down CB then it will be in FA, otherwise I'd like to see what the 2 draft picks we have now are capable of, no sense in getting corners to sit behind our back up corners.

MLB and either Guard position would be my #1, but I think we need to get a FA guard for next year. It's only a matter of time till Ben gets tremendously injured behind our O line. I think Gilbert will pan out, Pouncey is great, and I think Starks does pretty good at LT, so I would draft at guard, but as I mentioned, we don't need somebody to play guard in a few years, we need it NOW!!!!

Whodis
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Maybe our new OC will like a fullback!

theplatypus
01-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Cordy Glenn is the name you're looking for

ricardisimo
01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
You've got to remember LeBeau is not going to let any defensive draft player start, especially at a position like ILB. It'll take a year for them to learn the defense.
That's why we drafted Sylvester. In the meantime we got nothing at guard. Zero.

theplatypus
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Don't forget Thadeous Gibson is probably available.

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM

I thought Sylvester was going to be the answer but when he got demoted to 3rd backup behind Foote this season, I lost hope. I don't think he got one snap outside of STs this year...

DanRooney
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Don't forget Thadeous Gibson is probably available.

Thaddeus Gibson plays OLB. :thumbsup:

Or maybe we can keep Hines at the $5 million and play him on defense. It'd keep him busy and off the bench :wink02:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
i am think the steelers will go corner this in the first round this year cause that what the steelers always do they draft a position that we really dont think was needed to draft for the first round...but i dont see no corner falling unless Dre Kirkpatrick falls to us but im hopeing the steelers draft Vontaze Burfict just think about that mean linebacker with the Steelers and WITH james harrison...goodell would love that

RAIN
01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
NT or Guard Harrison kicks inside Worilds takes up ROLB. Like somebody said DB's were drafted last year. If you have noticed Harrison has already started taking packages from Farrior in the Middle some nickel most dime. Just my 2 cents worth.

ricardisimo
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
NT or Guard Harrison kicks inside Worilds takes up ROLB. Like somebody said DB's were drafted last year. If you have noticed Harrison has already started taking packages from Farrior in the Middle some nickel most dime. Just my 2 cents worth.
I haven't noticed this even once. Why would you remove your best pass rusher from the blindside pass-rushing spot?

tony hipchest
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
o line. its time.

we cant even advance the ball 5 yards to get into FG range w/o getting sacked (of course alot of that has to do with the most generic and poorly designed run plays in the nfl).

casteeler
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
We might draft an O-lineman simply because Ben won't be able withstand 3-4 injuries a year, if he's not protected then we'll have to draft a QB the year after. Also we have a couple of CBs that are in the process but the Steelers are in need of a #2 CB cause lets face it, someone needs to step up if Taylor is having a tough game.I really wouldn't trust any CB currently on the team to take Taylor's place and I think that it was obvious that niether do the Steelers or there would have been a switch

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Guard. We can argue about whether there's another season to squeeze out of the likes of Farrior and Foote, but there's no such discussion at guard. There's nothing there to begin with.
indeed. both guard positions are by far the biggest needs. i thought the same last year.
i don't understand why people keep clamoring for a CB in rd one. its not like every first rounder has revis like talent and will immediately solve defense pass problems. how many db's have been drafted since gay has been here ? yet nobody has taken the job from him.

tony hipchest
01-10-2012, 06:08 PM
indeed. both guard positions are by far the biggest needs. i thought the same last year.
i don't understand why people keep clamoring for a CB in rd one. its not like every first rounder has revis like talent and will immediately solve defense pass problems. how many db's have been drafted since gay has been here ? yet nobody has taken the job from him.remember when everyone wanted the steelers to select CB kyle wilson that the jets eventually took? he sure is setting the league on fire! :rolleyes:

RAIN
01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Harrison can be just as effective rushing from MLB and he is there best cover LB. It gets the best 4 lb's on the field and yes he does move to the middle in packages, maybe iso that position a bit on past games if you have recorded any.

zero1
01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
The #1 need has to be offensive line.

We have a franchise QB, one of the most talented group of young receivers in the league, a great tight end, and two good running backs. The only thing we are missing on offense is an offensive line (and a good offensive coordinator but that's for another time). Pouncey is fine if he can stay healthy at the end of the season, Gilbert should continue to improve and I'm fine with him going forward, but we have three other spots on OL that need to be upgraded.

Now, you obviously take the BPA in round 1 out of OL, CB, NT, and ILB but I do believe OL is the most pressing need.

Black N' Yellow
01-10-2012, 08:56 PM
We're gonna end up targeting a G, NT, and ILB in the first three/four rounds in the draft this year and next year most likely.

A good safety in the mix somewhere wouldn't hurt but that's not for another year or so...

desTROY43
01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Anything to do with the O-line is top priority. Ben won't last much longer taking all those hits. Cut a couple of the ones we have now and use that freed up money on some FA.

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2012, 09:56 PM
remember when everyone wanted the steelers to select CB kyle wilson that the jets eventually took? he sure is setting the league on fire! :rolleyes: here's the CB's taken in the first rd the last 3 years ..only 1 probowl between the 10. most of em you hardly here a thing about. has anyone been to joe haden island ? :chuckle:
its hard to imagine teams can pass on the jets with 2 first rd CB's ...but yet they do.. :hunch:

Patrick Peterson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Peterson)
Prince Amukamara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Amukamara)
Jimmy Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Smith_%28cornerback%29)

Joe Haden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Haden)
Kareem Jackson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Jackson)
devin McCourty
Kyle Wilson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Wilson_%28American_football%29)
Patrick Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Robinson_%28cornerback%29)

Malcolm Jenkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Jenkins)
Vontae Davis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vontae_Davis)

PhantomJB93
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Anybody saying cornerback is severely overreacting to Ike's performance Sunday. It's still a need but it's far from our biggest worry. Nobody would have said anything bad about our secondary 4 days ago, which is ironic because it seemed like our biggest need in preseason but the 16 games in the regular season said otherwise. I don't mind if we take a CB in rounds 2-onward but unless Claiborne or Kirkpatrick fell to us, which won't happen, don't go there.

Guard is our biggest "need" but probably shouldn't be the pick unless Cordy Glenn (or by some miracle DeCastro) is still there and the ILB's are off the board.

Nose Tackle is a big need too but Poe is not really good enough to take at 24 IMO and there should be guys for us in the second or third round.

So, I say Hightower or Burfict as long as one of them is on the board when we pick.

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Anybody saying cornerback is severely overreacting to Ike's performance Sunday. It's still a need but it's far from our biggest worry. Nobody would have said anything bad about our secondary 4 days ago, which is ironic because it seemed like our biggest need in preseason but the 16 games in the regular season said otherwise. I don't mind if we take a CB in rounds 2-onward but unless Claiborne or Kirkpatrick fell to us, which won't happen, don't go there.

Guard is our biggest "need" but probably shouldn't be the pick unless Cordy Glenn (or by some miracle DeCastro) is still there and the ILB's are off the board.

Nose Tackle is a big need too but Poe is not really good enough to take at 24 IMO and there should be guys for us in the second or third round.

So, I say Hightower or Burfict as long as one of them is on the board when we pick.
thats why you don't take a guard , you take the best center which happens to be
http://walterfootball.com/college/Wisconsin_logo.gif Peter Konz*, C, Wisconsin
Height: 6-5. Weight: 315.
Projected 40 Time: 5.58.
Projected Round (2012): 1.
1/9/12: The junior Konz has collected a stack of dominant tapes for NFL evaluators this season. He has played elite players like Jerel Worthy and Jared Crick very well. The Badgers have had a fabulous running offense, and Konz is an excellent run blocker. He seals holes well, gets to the second level, and puts defenders on the ground regularly. Konz has done a fabulous job in pass protection for quarterback Russell Wilson.
you plug him in at guard and now you have a quality center to backup the injury prone pouncey ...:thumbsup:
tomlin likes his linemen to be able to play multiple positions. its easier for a center to learn guard than a guard to learn center.

Fire Arians
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
ILB, o-line

GMU Steeler
01-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Offensive guard or ILB. Would be happy with either in Rd 1.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
GUARD

ricardisimo
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
i am think the steelers will go corner this in the first round this year cause that what the steelers always do they draft a position that we really dont think was needed to draft for the first round...but i dont see no corner falling unless Dre Kirkpatrick falls to us but im hopeing the steelers draft Vontaze Burfict just think about that mean linebacker with the Steelers and WITH james harrison...goodell would love that

By this reasoning we'll be drafting a wide receiver.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-10-2012, 10:56 PM
By this reasoning we'll be drafting a wide receiver.

:coffee:

Sharkissle29
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Vontaze is the man!

PhantomJB93
01-10-2012, 11:49 PM
thats why you don't take a guard , you take the best center which happens to be

you plug him in at guard and now you have a quality center to backup the injury prone pouncey ...:thumbsup:
tomlin likes his linemen to be able to play multiple positions. its easier for a center to learn guard than a guard to learn center.

Konz would actually be an awesome pick too, but with the Lions selecting right in front of us I'm a bit worried he'll get snagged at pick 23; their center Dominic Raiola is getting pretty old.

ShutDown24
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
The half dozen positions in which this team needs the most help are rather obvious. That being said, I am most concerned with the Nose. Hampton can still play the run at a relatively high level, but he doesn't scare teams like he used to. He's a step above useless as a pass rusher and no longer demands a double team. He can't handle many snaps at his current fitness level and looks to be an injury liability in the future. Even if you think McClendon can grow into your starter, there is no depth behind him other than banking on Evander Hood being able to handle that assignment. Guard, Inside Linebacker and Corner would be my next worries. I would take the best player available at any of these positions in the draft and avoid big ticket free agents. If you can find a value on the market, fine.

Busforever
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
O Line, just give some breath to Big Ben (protection, ground game). I'd like to see the Steelers draft a lineman AND sign a good veteran. One guy is not enough, I think. A decent O Line would allow the attack to be really explosive and perform as it should. In today's NFL, a great offense can mask your problems on defense (see Patriots, Saints...). With a good O Line, we will have more time/margin to deal with others needs on defense.

Because on defense, I see some needs everywhere (but some more pressing than others). After OL, ILB should be our 2nd most pressing need. Then NT if Hampton is not coming back. Because McLendon is not dominant (i just can't tell if he will), and our DL is far less dominant against the run with Hood and Heyward at DE. So we need a big plug at NT to set the tone and help the young guys.

CB, of course, we can be better than that, but i think Gay has done a better job this year. And please, don't forget what Ike has done all season long. He's a very good player (but sure was out of gaz in the end of the season).

And i'm not forgetting the OLB position, cause I'm not convinced by Worilds, and I don't like to see Woodley and Harisson nursing injuries all season.
Oh, and you all saw Polamalu lose a step this year? Sooner or later, we will need to find a replacement. Probably when Lebeau will leave, and that would be better, because a player like Polamalu plays also a role in the way our plays are designed. We can't take a young safety and learn him to play like Polamalu, that's just not possible, he's too unique. We will have to change our defense. But that's not an urgent need.

We sure won't fix everything with outside solutions. We have to count on our guy to solve some problems by themselves. I would like to see Sylvester and Heyward make a big step.

Pentheon
01-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Obvious answer is O-line...its been a long time comin, need more help there

Aussie Steeler
01-11-2012, 03:12 AM
best available lineman. easy.

steelbad@50
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
GUARD

:thumbsup: PERIOD

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of putting a 1st round tender on Wallace and losing him. Two solid OL prospects or an 1 OL and 1 CB or 1 OL and ...

addition by subtraction

TRH
01-11-2012, 02:21 PM
OL and defensive backfield MUST be priorities up there, i can't imagine we'll be going the "best athlete available" route this time.
Defensive line is up there again too. Remember, even though we've already drafted high there, the Steelers are known for drafting high at the same position for several years in a row, so its not out of the question.

BKAnthem
01-11-2012, 02:59 PM

This...Left and Right

stiller39
01-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Steelers brain trust will not play the free agency game.... not for the big names but the bargains. Steeler have and always will take the best player available when their pick comes. We have the most need at a starting Left tackle, Nose tackle, Gaurds, and Safety. Any of those would be spot on for us....

stb_steeler
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
o line. its time.

we cant even advance the ball 5 yards to get into FG range w/o getting sacked (of course alot of that has to do with the most generic and poorly designed run plays in the nfl).

Have to agree, OL needs major additions. If they cant see or address this problem, be prepared more of the same results next season.

StillerzFreak
01-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Best available Offensive Coordinator.

kirklandrules
01-13-2012, 12:21 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: :applaudit:

Fire Arians
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM

ding ding ding we got a winner :drink:

BossAus
01-13-2012, 12:30 PM
It would be ideal in my opinion if we could land Hightower or Burfict. Both are game changers. Cordy Glenn isn't first round talent so I'd rather not reach. Besides, we can land a talented guard in the second. I'm just tired of watching Farrior get burnt.

kirklandrules
01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I would go with ILB. Not sure they have the answer for their future star at this position and I'm not sure Farrior or Foote are worth keeping going forward (let alone another 2 years when someone can be developed).

I'm not too concerned over the following positions:

OL - Let's face it, if Ben were given more time in the pocket, he'd just use it. I've never heard him complain about being sacked.
Corner - Ike Taylor had the worst game of his pro career. I'm not going to panick and assume there is a large issue here and over-react.
DL - You've got two 1st round picks and McClendon held his own (with Bryant on the practice squad). I'm thinking later round pick for competition and backup.
WR- If they keep Wallace this group will be the best in the game.
TE - Miller is a stud, Saunders is the future stud that will be seen next year (remember he didn't have an offseason due to the lockout), and if Johnson practices catching the ball ...
RB - Mendy, Redman, Clay, Moore, Dwyer ... I think they can find a couple guys who are willing to run hard outta this bunch.
K/P - Obviously not in the 1st round if at all in the draft.

Here are my areas of concerns (excluding ILB as I've already stated above):

S - Aside from Mundy (and I think he's come along this year), they really don't have depth here.
OLB - I like Worilds, but he seemed to be the only backup with talent. Maybe injuries prevented the younger guys from showing anything, but moving Timmons to OLB to fill a gap only caused a reduction of talent at ILB.
QB - I really like Charlie Batch, but his Social Security is going to kick in soon :old:. Dixon isn't the answer. Not sure you spend a 1st round pick here, but it's time to think about someone who can develop and perform.

kirklandrules
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
And having just splurged all that thought, it's important to remember the Steelers have been doing well filling needs in later rounds. Their WR and corners were drafted after the 1st round and seem to have promising futures. So, if they don't pick up an area of need in the 1st round, guess I'll have faith.

BossAus
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
If Kellen Moore is still on the board at our third pick I'd be all over him.

kirklandrules
01-13-2012, 01:22 PM
If Kellen Moore is still on the board at our third pick I'd be all over him.

I would too, but I don't believe he'll be there that late.

steelfury02
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
yea - they better play multiple positions at the rate at which they are hurt - ugh

seriously - the closest thing to our O-line injuries has been the Packers this season

ricardisimo
01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I would go with ILB. Not sure they have the answer for their future star at this position and I'm not sure Farrior or Foote are worth keeping going forward (let alone another 2 years when someone can be developed).

I'm not too concerned over the following positions:

OL - Let's face it, if Ben were given more time in the pocket, he'd just use it. I've never heard him complain about being sacked.

There is more to the line than giving Ben more time to pass... unless you are Bruce Arians. It would be nice to have guys who could get some push and open holes for Rashard and Redman.

plenewken
01-13-2012, 04:11 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Goldsteel86
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I would go with WR, I am sure Wallace will come back and they might re-sign Hines in some type of capacity, however with Arians coming back, you never can have toooo many receivers. Hell with the OL, LeBeau will get what he gets in the later rounds, WR all the way, to make room release Mendenhall, Redman to the practice squad, Batch cut and Clay is the starter, Dwyer to IR even if healthy. If you can't tell I am P****d thinking about Arians sticking around makes me sick, he has had history of getting his way on draft day, so quite frankly can "Arians Lover" aka Tomlin finally do what's best for the team, hell maybe even call the offensive plays himself (even though he is a defensive guy)!!!! (Sarcasm AllThe Way) :banging::banging::banging::banging::mad:

Need4Sweed
01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I think Curtis Brown, Keenan Lewis, or Cortez Allen are more than capable of playing an important role in the secondary next season. We can wait a few rounds and pick up a safety with ball skills. We have many needs; which makes Free Agency even more important this off season...i'll get to that later. But we have to get better push up front to make Woodley and Harrison more effective. So imo we take the best available ILB, D-lineman or O-lineman in the first rnd, whomever of the 3 rates higher on our board at 24, take him. 2nd rnd one of the 3 aforementioned not taken in the 1st. I am hoping the FO are willing to go the FA route and make a splash by signing an O-lineman worth his weight. I live here in Maryland and watched the Ratbirds use the draft well and Free Agency even better to strengthen their team this year. We have to be willing to do the same when it comes to Free Agency, especially with Bmore willing to do what it takes to reign supreme within the division. Spend some money to protect our biggest investment, Ben.

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I have went back in forth with this...Most think take BPA between ILB, Oline, CB, NT... Whoever the best player is from one of those spots you take him first... however I have now decided against that theory.. I am so tired of every year dealing with Tri Essex, or Johnan Scott, or Some TE filling him, or Kemo Or etc... Its depressing and I cant take it anymore.. So although I understand we need a NT for Hampton, and ILB for Farrior I just dont care.. our D is in the top 5 everyyear and I know it has problems and I know people think we played cupcake teams but still its always in the top teir of the league... We need O LINE period.. As a matter of fact please Front office... please,.. For GOD's Sake Front office Please DRAFT O LINE with 2 out of the 3 first picks... Take Guard or T 1st round and take guard or T 3rd round... we can take ILB or NT with the second round maybe we can find another Kendrell Bell in the second ( except this time one that doesnt take HGH going into his second year and ruin his tendons in his body ) anyway please take O Line

I wish starks wouldnt have got hurt but lets say he comes back healthy
STARKS ROOKIE ROUND ONE POUNCEY COLON GILBERT then draft another OT in the 3rd and work on hm to take starks place in the next couple years... Big Doug L and Foster as back ups and we would be set

PhantomJB93
01-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I know people want to stop the BPA strategy, I used to have the same mindset even as recently as a year ago and was frustrated when we took Heyward and Pouncey instead of CBs at the time. But I've realized it's simply the best strategy and if the best ILB is better than the best Guard on the board, you take the ILB. Same with NT. Konz and Glenn could both easily be gone when we pick, and there's no OT worth taking at 24 either. I mean, the same could be true of Burfict and Hightower but it seems much more likely that they'll be available and I'd give Burfict at least a better grade than either of those interior linemen.

Our front office is probably the best at judging first and late round talent in the league (middle rounds not so much). I trust whatever they do. But I don't think you wanna be sitting here a few years from now, looking back and wondering what could have been if you drafted the BPA instead of reaching for your biggest "need" at the time and whiffing on the pick.

Rick5895
01-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Best player available from ILB, NT or safety, with OG being there as well

60_MINUTES
01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I know people want to stop the BPA strategy, I used to have the same mindset even as recently as a year ago and was frustrated when we took Heyward and Pouncey instead of CBs at the time. But I've realized it's simply the best strategy and if the best ILB is better than the best Guard on the board, you take the ILB. Same with NT. Konz and Glenn could both easily be gone when we pick, and there's no OT worth taking at 24 either. I mean, the same could be true of Burfict and Hightower but it seems much more likely that they'll be available and I'd give Burfict at least a better grade than either of those interior linemen.

Our front office is probably the best at judging first and late round talent in the league (middle rounds not so much). I trust whatever they do. But I don't think you wanna be sitting here a few years from now, looking back and wondering what could have been if you drafted the BPA instead of reaching for your biggest "need" at the time and whiffing on the pick.

Correct but you still have to take BPA for your team needs.. all teams have more than one need.. my point.. if the BPA is Tom Brady, and you just drafted Peyton Manning one year earlier then you dont take a QB.. or if you have Antonio Gate and Heath Miller on your Team and the BPA is Jason Whitten then you dont take Whitten...

so I agree 100 percent you take the BPA there OL, NT, ILB ... and your target should be heavy on OL.. I would think there should be at least one player between a Guard and T that is worthy of a number one... I hope so at least

By the way we needed a Center more than anything the year we took Pouncey... he was rated a late first second round guy and the Steelers did the correct thing by going away from the BPA a little that year and thank Goodness they did

I actullay think the Steelers having done great the past few years at going BPA but also looking at team needs as well

60_MINUTES
01-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Best player available from ILB, NT or safety, with OG being there as well

I agree with this 100 percent... I just hope a OL is there at 24 cause its makes me sick as hell to cont to see our team finish up every year with guys like Scott Kemo and Doug L in front of BEN... hell sometimes its a TE in there... Good Lord we got to fix this
:banging::banging:

DanRooney
01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Correct but you still have to take BPA for your team needs.. all teams have more than one need.. my point.. if the BPA is Tom Brady, and you just drafted Peyton Manning one year earlier then you dont take a QB.. or if you have Antonio Gate and Heath Miller on your Team and the BPA is Jason Whitten then you dont take Whitten...

so I agree 100 percent you take the BPA there OL, NT, ILB ... and your target should be heavy on OL.. I would think there should be at least one player between a Guard and T that is worthy of a number one... I hope so at least

By the way we needed a Center more than anything the year we took Pouncey... he was rated a late first second round guy and the Steelers did the correct thing by going away from the BPA a little that year and thank Goodness they did

I actullay think the Steelers having done great the past few years at going BPA but also looking at team needs as well

He was rated a 10-20 prospect. Exactly where we took him. There was no way he was falling past that. He was the BPA and the no-brainer pick.

60_MINUTES
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Believe me I knew it was a no brainer.. I wanted the guy for 6 months before the draft. I thought and still think he is a bigger verison of dawson... I can see HOF out of the kid if he can get rid of the injuries and we cont to win games... that being said he was one of the guys we talked about going into the draft.. and the draft gurus were saying he was rated 26 to 32 and we shouldnt take a center in the first round.. me and some others where lashing back like no tommorow saying how dumb that was.. and how much we needed him... anyway maybe on some sites you were looking at he was rated 10 to 20 Im not gonna say your wrong cause he should have been rated there.. but the sites we pulled from and kiper and the guys had him late first

FrancoLambert
01-15-2012, 12:04 PM
O-LINE PLEASE!!!! GUARD PLEASE!!!!! We may be able to tread water at ILB with what we have (serviceable at best). DL also a need ( has been re-stocked, to what degree remains to be seen), safety also an up and coming need. However, upgrading the talent on our o-line has to be the #1 priority or our offense wil be NO different next year. Same plays + same people = same sh***y results. Our "elite" quarterback and our very talented wide receivers are going to be wasted again without a much better o-line.:tt03:tt02::tt:

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Arians
(and this site is being generously factual, with no insults ?)

austinfrench76
01-15-2012, 08:58 PM
This won't be popular but I say TE. Take into account the way the league rules are changing and how important the offense is now could you imagine pairing another stud TE with Heath?? We will never have a full abck so why not a legit TE instead of this silly ass H-back formations. If we could have a Gronk type, we would have a pretty unstoppable offense. Our Line is what it is. A rookie may or may not start but a legit TE will and he could provide instant offense! Not sure who's coming out or what round grades they have but that's my vote.

Fire Arians
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Arians
(and this site is being generously factual, with no insults ?)

21-45 record as a college head coach, yeah bruce is awesome lol. 33% win ratio playing in a no name conference, how did this guy get an NFL job outside of blackmail or some shit?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-15-2012, 09:16 PM
This won't be popular but I say TE. Take into account the way the league rules are changing and how important the offense is now could you imagine pairing another stud TE with Heath?? We will never have a full abck so why not a legit TE instead of this silly ass H-back formations. If we could have a Gronk type, we would have a pretty unstoppable offense. Our Line is what it is. A rookie may or may not start but a legit TE will and he could provide instant offense! Not sure who's coming out or what round grades they have but that's my vote.

Weslye Saunders???

BengalDestroyer
01-16-2012, 05:06 PM
http://www.thejetsblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/superlatives_in_which_vontaze_burfict_gets_in_your _head.jpg

I want this nasty ILB from ASU!

DanRooney
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.thejetsblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/superlatives_in_which_vontaze_burfict_gets_in_your _head.jpg

I want this nasty ILB from ASU!

God I love this pic :thumbsup:

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
1) Offensive coordinator - Redman averaged 7.1 YPC against Denver, and we ran the ball 17 times verses throwing it 41 times. Enough said....

2) NT/DT - This is the most important , yet unsung position on our defense, and is a crucial building block to stopping the run.

3) OG/OT - It is wayyy past time for this to happen.

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 07:12 PM

WOW... I really dont have a comment...

madtowndrunkard
01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Typically we have 2 obvious holes going into the draft. This coming year I'd say we have 3 maybe 4 holes. We rarely go to FA to fill holes, but I think this might be the year we'll need to do this.

We badly need an OG, NT, and ILB. The smart move would be to take the best available at one of these positions. I could see us signing a FA NT .... they are typically cheap on the FA market and Hampton is way over paid for what he brings. Remember when he used to play almost every down? Now he's on the sideline half the game. Unless Hampton takes a huge pay cut I don't see him returning next season.

It sounds like Keisel's career could be over. So depth at DT is also a big need.

my prediction:

1st rnd: OL - nice thing about the OG position is just about any OL can play the position. So we can target the best OL available.

2nd rnd ILB - We have a talent for finding good LB's in the draft. In the 2nd round I think we'll find our future starter.

3rd - OL - you can't have too much depth on the OL...we've got multiple holes to fill

4th - DT - depth behind Hood and Heyward

pete74
01-17-2012, 09:17 AM
i think were going to lose Wallace and gain a 1st round pick. i see a team like The Bengals that already have two 1st round picks and a ton of money to throw at Wallace snatching him up. We dont have enough cap space to match a big offer so he would be gone. if we do lose him Cotchery, Brown and Sanders still make a good tandum and we can draft either 2 new lineman or a lineman and new DT, ILB'er or something.

i dont want to lose Wallace but i cant see how we can afford him unless we cut a big name player like Harrison but i dont see that happening. i know alot of you were down on Wallace but he is a top WR and his reason for a drop off late season was more because of Ben's injury

anyway we really need to target 2 lineman or were never going to make it a full season without Ben getting killed. we need an ILB'er and a NT but i would take a down year on defense to get our offense going.

Fire Arians
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
i think were going to lose Wallace and gain a 1st round pick. i see a team like The Bengals that already have two 1st round picks and a ton of money to throw at Wallace snatching him up. We dont have enough cap space to match a big offer so he would be gone. if we do lose him Cotchery, Brown and Sanders still make a good tandum and we can draft either 2 new lineman or a lineman and new DT, ILB'er or something.

i dont want to lose Wallace but i cant see how we can afford him unless we cut a big name player like Harrison but i dont see that happening. i know alot of you were down on Wallace but he is a top WR and his reason for a drop off late season was more because of Ben's injury

anyway we really need to target 2 lineman or were never going to make it a full season without Ben getting killed. we need an ILB'er and a NT but i would take a down year on defense to get our offense going.

i don't like the idea of getting rid of wallace, but you're right that sanders/brown/cotch can be a good wr corps. the big question mark is if emmanuel sanders can make it through a season without getting injured. he has the talent but durability is the question.

on the bright side, if we do have to lose wallace, at least we get a first round pick out of it to cover up some holes. if that's the case though, i hope whoever we pick in rd. 1 is an immediate starter. im tired of rd. 1 picks rotting on the bench. im a firm believer that round 1 picks are supposed to be NFL ready or pretty damn close to it.

most likely though I think the FO will do everything they can to keep wallace for the next 4-5 years

pete74
01-17-2012, 12:03 PM
i agree and hope we do keep Wallace but if we put a 1st round tender on him and a team like the Bengals, Bears or 49'ers offer him a 5 year 50million dollar contract there is no way we can match. we dont have enough cap room to sign our draft picks right now and getting rid of the obvious people will just break us even

stiller39
01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
We will not get into the free agent market as some here think... not the Stiller way. We will take the best player available in a position of need. It wont be a running back tight end, qb, or wide reciever. From their it will be the BPA at a position of need with some priority status. IMO, 1. NT, 2.Lt, 3. Gaurd, and 4. Safety. I am confident we will take the BPA at one of those positions and continue that throughout the the following rounds.

BKAnthem
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM

:thumbsup:

I been crying about this OLine ( to the dissatisfaction of some on this board) and the FO inability or unwillingness to address it....for the last 2 years before Pouncey and Gilbert (jury is still out)

kirklandrules
01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
:thumbsup:
I been crying about this OLine ( to the dissatisfaction of some on this board) and the FO inability or unwillingness to address it....for the last 2 years before Pouncey and Gilbert (jury is still out)

Just to understand, now that the FO drafted Pouncey (1st round) and Gilbert (2nd round), are you happier?

The jury may still be out, but I believe Gilbert did a great job for a rookie that didn't have the benefit of an offseason. In the second half of the season he was playing well enough that I'm not sure Colon would have done any better. So I'm thinking this was a good pick for a late 2nd rounder.

BKAnthem
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Just to understand, now that the FO drafted Pouncey (1st round) and Gilbert (2nd round), are you happier?

The jury may still be out, but I believe Gilbert did a great job for a rookie that didn't have the benefit of an offseason. In the second half of the season he was playing well enough that I'm not sure Colon would have done any better. So I'm thinking this was a good pick for a late 2nd rounder.

Yup...Now we need a guard and LT

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
We will not get into the free agent market as some here think... not the Stiller way. We will take the best player available in a position of need. It wont be a running back tight end, qb, or wide reciever. From their it will be the BPA at a position of need with some priority status. IMO, 1. NT, 2.Lt, 3. Gaurd, and 4. Safety. I am confident we will take the BPA at one of those positions and continue that throughout the the following rounds.
You know, Hartings was a free agent signing, and a damned good one. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't do that again. Draft a guard in the first round, sign another quality free agent, and have a line that looks something like this:
Gilbert - FA - Pouncey - Rookie - Colon
I'd be pleased enough with that, especially with Lego, Foster and Essex for depth only.

BKAnthem
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
You know, Hartings was a free agent signing, and a damned good one. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't do that again. Draft a guard in the first round, sign another quality free agent, and have a line that looks something like this:
Gilbert - FA - Pouncey - Rookie - Colon
I'd be pleased enough with that, especially with Lego, Foster and Essex for depth only.

Now that's change i can believe in...and there will be some quality FA guards in '12

even though i would Like:

Gilbert -FA -Pouncey -Colon -Rookie( Mike Adams Ohio State?)

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Now that's change i can believe in...and there will be some quality FA guards in '12

even though i would Like:

Gilbert -FA -Pouncey -Colon -Rookie( Mike Adams Ohio State?)
I don't see us drafting a tackle, certainly not a first- or second-rounder whom one would expect to start right away. Guard is more like it, not to mention probably easier for a rookie to step into.

Secondly, when Colon is healthy he's good... at tackle. We just resigned him, as I recall, so he's here to stay as long as he can stay healthy.

The nice thing about this year is that we are set at the skill positions, by and large. We can dedicate the entire draft to both lines, if need be. That's how you sustain success and build for the future at the same time.

BKAnthem
01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't see us drafting a tackle, certainly not a first- or second-rounder whom one would expect to start right away. Guard is more like it, not to mention probably easier for a rookie to step into.

Secondly, when Colon is healthy he's good... at tackle. We just resigned him, as I recall, so he's here to stay as long as he can stay healthy.

The nice thing about this year is that we are set at the skill positions, by and large. We can dedicate the entire draft to both lines, if need be. That's how you sustain success and build for the future at the same time.

Good Point But If a Tackle like Adams is there how can you pass on him?

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Good Point But If a Tackle like Adams is there how can you pass on him?
How do you pass on him? Probably the same way that most of the mocks I've seen up to now pass on him until about midway through the 2nd round. Please tell me this isn't about Ohio State. We go through this every year with some Buckeye fan or another.

Also, every year there's some "sure-fire pick" that the Steelers passed on that turns out not to have been quite so sure fire. There were something like three or four 1st and 2nd round corners that the Steelers let pass them by, and none of them looked any good this year on the teams that eventually took them. William Gay and Cortez Allen outperformed each and every one of them.

Which leads us back to pick #24 of the first round. That's right about where you start seeing the premiere guards either popping up or just about to disappear. "Can't-miss" tackles are gone well before #24. If Adams is can't miss, why would he be there for us?

And again: Colon and Gilbert are locks to start next year. They are both good when healthy. Meanwhile we have nothing at guard.

BKAnthem
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
How do you pass on him? Probably the same way that most of the mocks I've seen up to now pass on him until about midway through the 2nd round. Please tell me this isn't about Ohio State. We go through this every year with some Buckeye fan or another.

Also, every year there's some "sure-fire pick" that the Steelers passed on that turns out not to have been quite so sure fire. There were something like three or four 1st and 2nd round corners that the Steelers let pass them by, and none of them looked any good this year on the teams that eventually took them. William Gay and Cortez Allen outperformed each and every one of them.

Which leads us back to pick #24 of the first round. That's right about where you start seeing the premiere guards either popping up or just about to disappear. "Can't-miss" tackles are gone well before #24. If Adams is can't miss, why would he be there for us?

And again: Colon and Gilbert are locks to start next year. They are both good when healthy. Meanwhile we have nothing at guard.

Nah not a n OU fan and not saying dude is can't miss...but he looks like a player and we've passed on plenty of players that turned out better than ones we've taken so it works both ways...true we have nothing at Guard, but Maybe Adams can play there too?

madtowndrunkard
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
We are in cap trouble next season, so our needs might change quite a bit in the next few months.

Expect Hampton, Farrior, Foote, and Kemoeatu to be cut. I

t's very possible Harrison or Woodley get the axe as well. The play of Worilds might make one of them expendable...as both have huge cap hits. Hopefully they restructure and avoid cutting one of our OLB's. But if we have any plans of keeping Wallace then we'll need to cut lose some veteran starters and re structure a few people.

McFadden, Scott, and Smith will all be off the team next year as well. Keisel has a pretty serious injury , who knows if he's ready to play next year.

So it's pretty obvious that ILB, DT, and OL will be the top priorities in the offseason.

PhantomJB93
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
We are in cap trouble next season, so our needs might change quite a bit in the next few months.

t's very possible Harrison or Woodley get the axe as well. The play of Worilds might make one of them expendable...as both have huge cap hits. Hopefully they restructure and avoid cutting one of our OLB's. But if we have any plans of keeping Wallace then we'll need to cut lose some veteran starters and re structure a few people.

McFadden, Scott, and Smith will all be off the team next year as well. Keisel has a pretty serious injury , who knows if he's ready to play next year.

So it's pretty obvious that ILB, DT, and OL will be the top priorities in the offseason.

They'll never get rid of Woodley. At least not until he's in his 30's. There's no chance, especially after they just signed him to a new deal this offseason. Harrison won't be here much longer but Worilds is just not a force like them and is not worth getting rid of one of them if we don't absolutely have to. He's not going to "unseat" Harrison, just take over for him when he finally suffers a major regression, retires, or his contract ends.

kirklandrules
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Yup...Now we need a guard and LT

I've heard noise on PG that Gilbert most likely will be moved to LT with Colon back to RT next year. So you'd have to find your guards. Part of me thinks some of the guys they have might be good guards, but these guys have been moved around so much they can never get chemistry. Foster had a hellofa good block in the Denver game on the Cotchery TD. Legursky, I think would be very good, but he's been moved to RG, C, LG and never had a chance to perfect his craft in any one spot. But the few times he was at LG and pulled, he looked real good.

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I've heard noise on PG that Gilbert most likely will be moved to LT with Colon back to RT next year. So you'd have to find your guards. Part of me thinks some of the guys they have might be good guards, but these guys have been moved around so much they can never get chemistry. Foster had a hellofa good block in the Denver game on the Cotchery TD. Legursky, I think would be very good, but he's been moved to RG, C, LG and never had a chance to perfect his craft in any one spot. But the few times he was at LG and pulled, he looked real good.
But why would you go into next season thinking "Hey, maybe these guys might be good... possibly. With some luck."

No. We need guards, one a first-rounder, and the other either very soon thereafter or in free agency. We could go from god-awful to pretty darned good in one off-season.

DanRooney
01-17-2012, 05:10 PM
We need a ILB with more athleticism than Farrior. More pressure=more turnovers.

60_MINUTES
01-17-2012, 08:40 PM

They will never cut Woodley... no chance what so ever... and by the way what play of worilds are you talking about??? dont get me wrong Im holding out hope that he still pans out.. but at this point for a number 2 pick he has sucked shit and thats being nice

BossAus
01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Pass on Mike Adams. The only OLine I'd draft there is if DeCastro slips to us. And even if he doesn't I'd take Glenn over Adams. A middle linebacker really would help create the pressure needed to force the turnovers this defense lacked this season. (ie Hightower or Burfict) I'm gonna be ticked if we take Dontari Poe in the first cause that's a major reach.

6RingsAndCounting
01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I like either Dontari Poe at DT if they don't move hood, or Vontaze Burfict at ILB

therooster45
01-18-2012, 05:46 PM
CORNERBACK.

NOPE O LINEMAN O LINEMAN its all about protection protection protection
look at New England no defense but they score 35 points a game and win win win

saint0917
01-19-2012, 06:32 AM
I like either Dontari Poe at DT if they don't move hood, or Vontaze Burfict at ILB

I was just looking at Mel Kipers Mock Draft and he has the Steelers taking Dontari Poe from Memphis. This kid is a load 6'5", 350 lbs. I don't really know much about him.

saint0917
01-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Cordy Glenn 6'5" 348 lbs :thumbsup:

jtbsteeler
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Lewis, Allen and Brown should be given a chance to play/start. Go OL,OL and draft defense the rest of the draft. Including the 2 7th Rd. comp picks

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Lewis, Allen and Brown should be given a chance to play/start. Go OL,OL and draft defense the rest of the draft. Including the 2 7th Rd. comp picks

cortez and brown are gonna be ballers

MDSteel15
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
It has to be either ILB or Gaurd! Cornerback is fine people. You don't have the number 1 pass defense without good CBs! INCLUDING GAY!!! But it all starts in the trenches.... Potsie needs replaced and our gaurd situation is in shambles! Take the ILB or best G available....

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
The first round pick will be Mark Barron, Safety out of Alabama, or Cordy Glenn, OL out of Georgia

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I was just looking at Mel Kipers Mock Draft and he has the Steelers taking Dontari Poe from Memphis. This kid is a load 6'5", 350 lbs. I don't really know much about him.

Poe was named one of the strongest athletes in college football, I've heard great things about him, but I can't find highlights of him anywhere, an Burfict they're comparing to Ray Lewis, but we'll see.