PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offensive Coordinator Has Head Firmly Up Pass

Whodis
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Bruce Arians needs to take off those sunglasses! It is painfully obvious that they are interfering with his ability to see what’s going on just a few yards away from him on the football field. Altitude induced blindness is the only acceptable excuse for the outrageously stupid, offensively offensive, offensive game plan that ‘BA’ shat into action this past Sunday in Denver.
I understand that the Pittsburgh Steelers crave a modern, metro sexual makeover (Ben’s hat). It’s a quarterback driven league and QB’s love to pass. It’s also plain to see that the Neanderthal concept, previously attached to pro football’s dark ages, of beating your opponent into submission via the run is alien to Arians. Who wants to waste seven or eight minutes of clock time wearing down the other team with a rushing attack? This is the age of ‘on demand’ and Twitter. Things have to happen in an instant or they are empty and meaningless. Hell, let’s score quickly, if at all, and get Denver’s offense back on the field so this kid can find his game and mature right before our eyes. I guess Bruce Arians thinks it’s not fair to let Tim Tebow cool down in the second quarter while the Steelers mount an actual, clock sucking, momentum draining, DRIVE. I am a pretty fair lip reader and I am sure I saw Screw Loose Bruce saying into his headset “That damn Tebow is as boring as Charlie Whitehurst if you just keep him on the bench. I’m gonna see if I can speed this drive up”.
Isaac Redman was a beast Sunday vs. the Broncos. He proved that ‘The Big Game’ is not too big for him. Redman, wearing the number ‘33’, looked like the beautiful love child of Merril Hoge and Bam Morris. Ike ran for 121 yards on 17 carries and still had something left in the tank thanks to John Clay spelling him. Yet in the face of production like that, Arians still went empty backfield on 2nd and 7, 2nd and 6, and numerous first downs. You want a wide open offense; I’m with you. You want to play a predictably pass happy one, without even showing your opponent the possibility of a run; no thank you. Keep a freaking running back in the backfield to help block on pass plays, or chip and release as a check down receiver, but for shit’s sake, Bruce, keep a running back on the field! Arians has contributed to the extinction of the NFL full back and is now trying to make the running back a useless appendage (Ben’s hat) as well. Wasn’t it just last season that the Steelers ownership stated firmly that they wanted to see a return to the run game?
I know that Bruce Arians is only human. He can’t draw up a terrible offensive game plan and drop well thrown passes also. But is he too arrogant(or blind) to tell when things are and aren’t working? Drops by Wallace, Johnson, and Cotchery all killed drives and stopped the clock.
Phil Simms must be equally blind; while BA was calling the worst game of his career (and that’s saying something), Simms mused that “With all the head coaching positions coming available in the NFL, that it’s odd that Bruce Arians doesn’t get courted” adding with zero irony: “Because he should be considered a good candidate” . . Phil’s name must be on that list of NFL players who filed suit against the league for not properly treating head injuries to say something that ridiculous. I remember watching Phil Simms. I know he has at least a rudimentary grasp of how professional tackle football is played. You stick with what’s working. The run was working. This is not the ‘Run and Shoot’, the ‘Fun and Gun’, nor is it the ‘Greatest Show on Turf’. It’s Steelers football. Run the damn ball.
I’ll end with a terrible joke.
Waiter: “Good morning Mr. Arians. Would you like some common sense”?
Bruce Arians: “No thanks. I’ll pass”.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/10/steelers-offensive-coordinator-has-head-firmly-up-pass/

EbonySteel86
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Bruce Arians needs to take off those sunglasses! It is painfully obvious that they are interfering with his ability to see what’s going on just a few yards away from him on the football field. Altitude induced blindness is the only acceptable excuse for the outrageously stupid, offensively offensive, offensive game plan that ‘BA’ shat into action this past Sunday in Denver.
I understand that the Pittsburgh Steelers crave a modern, metro sexual makeover (Ben’s hat). It’s a quarterback driven league and QB’s love to pass. It’s also plain to see that the Neanderthal concept, previously attached to pro football’s dark ages, of beating your opponent into submission via the run is alien to Arians. Who wants to waste seven or eight minutes of clock time wearing down the other team with a rushing attack? This is the age of ‘on demand’ and Twitter. Things have to happen in an instant or they are empty and meaningless. Hell, let’s score quickly, if at all, and get Denver’s offense back on the field so this kid can find his game and mature right before our eyes. I guess Bruce Arians thinks it’s not fair to let Tim Tebow cool down in the second quarter while the Steelers mount an actual, clock sucking, momentum draining, DRIVE. I am a pretty fair lip reader and I am sure I saw Screw Loose Bruce saying into his headset “That damn Tebow is as boring as Charlie Whitehurst if you just keep him on the bench. I’m gonna see if I can speed this drive up”.
Isaac Redman was a beast Sunday vs. the Broncos. He proved that ‘The Big Game’ is not too big for him. Redman, wearing the number ‘33’, looked like the beautiful love child of Merril Hoge and Bam Morris. Ike ran for 121 yards on 17 carries and still had something left in the tank thanks to John Clay spelling him. Yet in the face of production like that, Arians still went empty backfield on 2nd and 7, 2nd and 6, and numerous first downs. You want a wide open offense; I’m with you. You want to play a predictably pass happy one, without even showing your opponent the possibility of a run; no thank you. Keep a freaking running back in the backfield to help block on pass plays, or chip and release as a check down receiver, but for shit’s sake, Bruce, keep a running back on the field! Arians has contributed to the extinction of the NFL full back and is now trying to make the running back a useless appendage (Ben’s hat) as well. Wasn’t it just last season that the Steelers ownership stated firmly that they wanted to see a return to the run game?
I know that Bruce Arians is only human. He can’t draw up a terrible offensive game plan and drop well thrown passes also. But is he too arrogant(or blind) to tell when things are and aren’t working? Drops by Wallace, Johnson, and Cotchery all killed drives and stopped the clock.
Phil Simms must be equally blind; while BA was calling the worst game of his career (and that’s saying something), Simms mused that “With all the head coaching positions coming available in the NFL, that it’s odd that Bruce Arians doesn’t get courted” adding with zero irony: “Because he should be considered a good candidate” . . Phil’s name must be on that list of NFL players who filed suit against the league for not properly treating head injuries to say something that ridiculous. I remember watching Phil Simms. I know he has at least a rudimentary grasp of how professional tackle football is played. You stick with what’s working. The run was working. This is not the ‘Run and Shoot’, the ‘Fun and Gun’, nor is it the ‘Greatest Show on Turf’. It’s Steelers football. Run the damn ball.
I’ll end with a terrible joke.
Waiter: “Good morning Mr. Arians. Would you like some common sense”?
Bruce Arians: “No thanks. I’ll pass”.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/10/steelers-offensive-coordinator-has-head-firmly-up-pass/
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

plenewken
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Excellent! Unfortunately, like I said earlier, Arians is like herpes, we won't easily get rid of him, much less now that Pitt and PennState have recruited their HC.
Our next hope is when La Roche College starts a football program........

Danny136200
01-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Arians was doing a decent job until after the bye week. Injuries started to mount up (mainly ben's broken thumb/ ankle sprain) and the offense started to tumble. Arians should have done a better job at protecting an injured ben and run the ball A LOT more than what he did against the niners, browns, and broncos (redman averaged 7.1 YPC and had 120 yards).

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Arians was doing a decent job until after the bye week. Injuries started to mount up (mainly ben's broken thumb/ ankle sprain) and the offense started to tumble. Arians should have done a better job at protecting an injured ben and run the ball A LOT more than what he did against the niners, browns, and broncos (redman averaged 7.1 YPC and had 120 yards).

The offense couldn't score before the bye week, couldn't score after the bye week. They couldn't score before Ben got injured, and they got worse after Ben got injured. I just don't understand people's infatuation with what Arians brings to the table, which is not a whole lot.

Rockon

defence
01-11-2012, 08:33 AM
The offense couldn't score before the bye week, couldn't score after the bye week. They couldn't score before Ben got injured, and they got worse after Ben got injured. I just don't understand people's infatuation with what Arians brings to the table, which is not a whole lot.

Rockon

Agreed!! I don't get why this guy hasn't been canned yet!! With all his talent on that offence; we should be in the top 5 every year!! If tomlin won't do it; it should come from upstairs!!!

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 08:35 AM
That was a great read and firmly on the mark! The only thing I can figure is that the team plans to seriously address the o-line. If they can give Ben the time that Brady & Brees have in the pocket then maybe we can turn just one FG-per-game into a TD. Adding 4ppg would make a big difference.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
8_4bLNM0axE

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
8_4bLNM0axE

If you're ok with them rolling out a mediocre offense, that consistently underachieves relative to the talent on the field, that's on you. Some of us want better. Apparenlty neither you or Mie Tomlin is among those.

If you don't want to hear/read people complaining about it,, there's a million other destinations on the interweb, where you won't be exposed to such rantings.

But if you think this offense is "all that it can be", then you're just as delusional as Ben and his "sky's the limit" comment. Nevermind the sky, the limit for this offense as long as BA is calling the shots is the ceiling in the locker room at Heinz Field.

Rockon

Steelerfreak58
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't mind more passing game but when did the Steelers decide to steal Al Davis's playbook and think that all your offense has to do is throw long bombs all damn day...

1st downs should have been the goal dink and dunk your way down the field use the deep ball when teams start moving up to stop it. Take a look at how the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay set that shit up. They move the ball efficiently down the field getting the 1st downs with short high percentage passes. Arains just seems to miss that most of the time.

There are brief moments in time on our offense where things are really clicking and you can tell the defense is just plain guessing how to cover. Ben spreads the ball around with short passes with copious use of Mr. Miller. Then all of a sudden Arians will decide to go DEEP a few times and crush a drive.

If you want to have an offense like those top 3 teams then you better get the O-Line to give BB the time like they get.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
If you're ok with them rolling out a mediocre offense, that consistently underachieves relative to the talent on the field, that's on you. Some of us want better. Apparenlty neither you or Mie Tomlin is among those.

If you don't want to hear/read people complaining about it,, there's a million other destinations on the interweb, where you won't be exposed to such rantings.

But if you think this offense is "all that it can be", then you're just as delusional as Ben and his "sky's the limit" comment. Nevermind the sky, the limit for this offense as long as BA is calling the shots is the ceiling in the locker room at Heinz Field.

Rockon

I'm not settling for a mediocre offense. I'm watching the games and seeing poor execution(penalties, not maintaining blocks), poor decision making by the QB(ints), and a few fumbles tossed in for good measure. Now you can live in your little fantasy land where those things don't make a difference, but in the real world they not only make a difference but have a significant impact. None of those things are a result of a OC that is "stupid", "can't design a game plan"," is only interested in padding stats" or any other such bs that you can dream up.

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't mind more passing game but when did the Steelers decide to steal Al Davis's playbook and think that all your offense has to do is throw long bombs all damn day...

1st downs should have been the goal dink and dunk your way down the field use the deep ball when teams start moving up to stop it. Take a look at how the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay set that shit up. They move the ball efficiently down the field getting the 1st downs with short high percentage passes. Arains just seems to miss that most of the time.

There are brief moments in time on our offense where things are really clicking and you can tell the defense is just plain guessing how to cover. Ben spreads the ball around with short passes with copious use of Mr. Miller. Then all of a sudden Arians will decide to go DEEP a few times and crush a drive.

If you want to have an offense like those top 3 teams then you better get the O-Line to give BB the time like they get.

Please don't use that word in the presence of a Bruce Arians offense. You'll confuse him, and he's really working hard right now putting the final touches on the "perfect bubble screen" to drop on 'em next year. Wouldn't wanna disturb a genius at work.

Rockon

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm not settling for a mediocre offense. I'm watching the games and seeing poor execution(penalties, not maintaining blocks), poor decision making by the QB(ints), and a few fumbles tossed in for good measure. Now you can live in your little fantasy land where those things don't make a difference, but in the real world they not only make a difference but have a significant impact. None of those things are a result of a OC that is "stupid", "can't design a game plan"," is only interested in padding stats" or any other such bs that you can dream up.

If all you see is poor execution, which I don't disagree is a big part of the problem, I can't help you. If you can't see bad gameplans, a flawed philosophy that doesn't really fit personnel, and some really questionable playcalling, especially situationally, then you are truly wearing Bruec colored glasses, and I can't do anything to make you see things different.

All I know is every year, it's the same thing. And we're having the same conversation. Do you think people bitch about Arians just to bitch? If the offense performed to expectations people wouldn't be calling for BA's head. Some of us are just really tired of this offense looking like a train wreck while other offenses with franchise QB and elite weapons look like Lamborghinis. it's more than penalties, poor execution and O-line. A large a part of it is the offense is flawed in it's design as well as implementation.

And ftr, the Packers receivers dropped about 5 passes in the SB last year, yet they still managed to drop 30 on our vaunted D, in spite of that "poor execution". Mike Wallace drops one pass against the Broncos, and we use that as the crutch for why our offense looked like crap for 75% of that game. That's because one offense is designed for efficiency, while the other is basically like a box of chocolates...don't know what you're gonna get.

Rockon

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM

In spite of your weak denial, the fact that you are on board with BA returning states very loudly and clearly that you are ok with mediocrity from this offense. Because that's the only thing that has been consistent since he became OC. And it says the same thing about Mike Tomlin.

Rockon

Whodis
01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't mind a passing game as long as it's used with a balanced rushing game. You know, one that might come in handy in January?? He cripples the running game with personnel decisions that make passing our only option.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
In spite of your weak denial, the fact that you are on board with BA returning states very loudly and clearly that you are ok with mediocrity from this offense. Because that's the only thing that has been consistent since he became OC. And it says the same thing about Mike Tomlin.

Rockon

2 AFC Championships
1 SB ring
consecutive 12-4 seasons despite an astronomical number of injuries

None of those things indicate mediocrity, but go right ahead keep living in your little fantasy land. Are you really going to sit there and say I know more about football than the head coach of an NFL team?

Whodis
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
2 AFC Championships
1 SB ring

None of those things indicate mediocrity, but go right ahead keep living in your little fantasy land.

ANd ZERO job interviews!!

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
ANd ZERO job interviews!!

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe he actually enjoys his current job and isn't interested in another job? That doesn't even touch on the failed logic of this argument you keep posting. Why is it failed? Just because you haven't heard about it, doesn't mean that it hasn't happened. For all you know a team contacts his agent and the reply is sorry not interested. Enjoy your circle jerk with the rest of the lemmings.

Whodis
01-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe he actually enjoys his current job and isn't interested in another job? That doesn't even touch on the failed logic of this argument you keep posting. Why is it failed? Just because you haven't heard about it, doesn't mean that it hasn't happened. For all you know a team contacts his agent and the reply is sorry not interested. Enjoy your circle jerk with the rest of the lemmings.

Has it ever occurred to you he just sucks? Have you ever noticed that if the Steelers don't renew his contract he HAS to retire?

So your saying Arians is actually being courted, it's just a secret? That is some funny as shit!! You are forum GOLD and Tony better keep you around to keep up the fun.

vasteeler
01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
2 AFC Championships
1 SB ring

None of those things indicate mediocrity, but go right ahead keep living in your little fantasy land. Are you really going to sit there and say I know more about football than the head coach of an NFL team?

man, would you quit trying to bring logic into this thread

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
2 AFC Championships
1 SB ring

Really? You think the DEFENSE, one of the best the last 25 yrs., had anything to do with the 12-4 records and the AFCCs and SBs? Or do you really, in your little fantasy world, think the Steelers achieved these things on the shoulders of their "powerful" offense, not, exactly one of the best the last 25 yrs.?

Don't change the subject. We are not questioning team success here. Just the offenses ineptitude and underachievements. That is in plain view for all to see. To ignore it, is denial.

Rockon

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Hell, he should enjoy his current job. Why would he want to leave? Would you leave if you knew that nobody else would have you?

So you really believe that BA is getting secret HC job offers and turning them down because he "loves his current job"? You really are even more delusional than I thought.

Rockon

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Really? You think the DEFENSE, one of the best the last 25 yrs., had anything to do with the 12-4 records and the AFCCs and SBs? Or do you really, in your little fantasy world, think the Steelers achieved these things on the shoulders of their "powerful" offense, not, exactly one of the best the last 25 yrs.?

Don't change the subject. We are not questioning team success here. Just the offenses ineptitude and underachievements. That is in plain view for all to see. To ignore it, is denial.

rockon

Are you really this daft? I'm not changing the subject. Turnovers and poor execution are our offensive problems and they don't have shit to do with the play call. It doesn't matter if the play call was for a pass 5,15, or 50 yards it's the job of the qb to find the open receiver, not force the ball into coverage. If a running back fumbles the ball is it the OC's fault too? If the Center misses a delayed blitzing linebacker and the qb gets nailed is that the OC's fault?

Fire Arians
01-11-2012, 10:51 AM

lol, arians knows he would fail miserably as a head coach that's why. he couldn't even get a .400 record as a head coach in a COLLEGE program.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Has it ever occurred to you he just sucks? Have you ever noticed that if the Steelers don't renew his contract he HAS to retire?

So your saying Arians is actually being courted, it's just a secret? That is some funny as shit!! You are forum GOLD and Tony better keep you around to keep up the fun.

The Steelers didn't even give him the opportunity to be courted. What does that say? There are two answers, either the front office is stupid or you don't know squat. May I sugget that you, rockon and the rest of the football geniuses should head over to the Steelers's facility and get that job you've proven to be so qualified for.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
lol, arians knows he would fail miserably as a head coach that's why. he couldn't even get a .400 record as a head coach in a COLLEGE program.

THere's the king of the carrot top people right now. Aren't you supposed to be hunting for DL's head now? Welching !@#@!

Fire Arians
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
THere's the king of the carrot top people right now. Aren't you supposed to be hunting for DL's head now? Welching !@#@!

the DL thread was made in the heat of the moment i admit. But seriously if you defend arians, I guess you're all for the offense being out of sync and underachieving big time. with all the talent we have, we should be a top 10 offense at least. All I see is another version of an undisciplined run & shoot offense

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
the DL thread was made in the heat of the moment i admit. But seriously if you defend arians, I guess you're all for the offense being out of sync and underachieving big time. with all the talent we have, we should be a top 10 offense at least. All I see is another version of an undisciplined run & shoot offense

And yet once again look at the games where we struggled and you'll find turnovers, penalties, and poor execution. Which are far more plausible reasons for our struggles than these fantasy scenarios you keep dreaming up.

Fire Arians
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
And yet once again look at the games where we struggled and you'll find turnovers, penalties, and poor execution. Which are far more plausible reasons for our struggles than these fantasy scenarios you keep dreaming up.

turnovers, penalties, lack of execution = shitty preparation. now can you tell me who's responsible for making sure the offense is prepared?

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Are you really this daft? I'm not changing the subject. Turnovers and poor execution are our offensive problems and they don't have shit to do with the play call. It doesn't matter if the play call was for a pass 5,15, or 50 yards it's the job of the qb to find the open receiver, not force the ball into coverage. If a running back fumbles the ball is it the OC's fault too? If the Center misses a delayed blitzing linebacker and the qb gets nailed is that the OC's fault?

What did you learn a new word? You should learn another. I think you've used that one enough. You know like Bruce Airhead and the bubble screens? Try this word on for size. Ineptitude. Stop making excuses. Every team deals with turnovers, penalties, etc. Bottom line, is since he's been OC, the offense has stunk. Period. You spin that how you want. Use the word daft in a different context if you want. Doesn't change the fact that the offense has underachieved under Arians watch. Lucky for him, he's on a team with a GREAT defense and an improvisational QB who bails his dumba$$ all the time.

And you are changing the subject. The subject here is Bruce Arians, and the performance of the offense. The SBs are a different conversation. With better offensive output to match the D, who knows that SB number may be 2 or 3. The Steelers were going to SBs before BA became OC. I'm sure they can manage to get their again without him.

Rockon

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:13 AM
turnovers, penalties, lack of execution = shitty preparation. now can you tell me who's responsible for making sure the offense is prepared?

An OC can't stop a QB from forcing the ball into coverage. Unless of course you would prefer that Ben be benched in favor of Batch or Dixon. Is that what you're suggesting?
An OC can't stop a Guard from spearing a player late. An OC can't stop a T from flinching. An OC can't stop a RB from being stripped.

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
An OC can't stop a QB from forcing the ball into coverage. Unless of course you would prefer that Ben be benched in favor of Batch or Dixon. Is that what you're suggesting?
An OC can't stop a Guard from spearing a player late. An OC can't stop a T from flinching. An OC can't stop a RB from being stripped.

Then what exactly does an OC do, Mr. Know-It-All, Mr. Arians bodyguard? What accountbility does Bruce have here? By your account it shouldn't matter who is the OC, it's all on the players. In which case, you shouldn't care if they get rid of BA or not, because anybody should be able to come in and do nothing, and bear no responsibilty for the results of his unit. Hell, may as well bring in Mr. Magoo. I imagine he can do a comparable job to what Airhead has done.

Rockon

Whodis
01-11-2012, 11:25 AM
The Steelers didn't even give him the opportunity to be courted. What does that say? There are two answers, either the front office is stupid or you don't know squat. May I sugget that you, rockon and the rest of the football geniuses should head over to the Steelers's facility and get that job you've proven to be so qualified for.

A one year contract isn't exactly saying "we love having you"

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
an OC can't stop from throwing 5 bubble screens a game. despite having very limited success with it.
an OC can't max protect even when its obvious the oline can't hold back the rush more than 1 second. 5 receivers must be on the field dammit. :chuckle:
an OC can't call plays with shorter routes just because its freezing with 40 mph wind.
an OC can't give the illusion on third an less than 2 that you may just run the ball. he must go shotgun 5 wide.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Then what exactly does an OC do, Mr. Know-It-All, Mr. Arians bodyguard? What accountbility does Bruce have here? By your account it shouldn't matter who is the OC, it's all on the players. In which case, you shouldn't care if they get rid of BA or not, because anybody should be able to come in and do nothing, and bear no responsibilty for the results of his unit. Hell, may as well bring in Mr. Magoo. I imagine he can do a comparable job to what Airhead has done.

Rockon

As I said earlier quest your ass over to the Steelers' facility and get that job you think you're so qualified for.

I know this might be a lot for you too handle, but try to follow along. The people that know far more about football than you and I combined have brought him back yet once again. That alone says that Arians is no where near as bad as you and the rest make him out to be. It also confirms my statements that our problems on offense are located somewhere other than with the OC. Was that too much for you?

Whodis
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
So tell us what impresses you most about a "Bruce Arians offense"? Is it the conversion of Johnson into a hybrid TE/FB opening up all kinds of passing options? Empty backfield? The disappearance of the fullback on a Steelers roster? The bubble screen? The ability to pass in obvious run situations? Or are you just a "fan"?

Convert me!!

Whodis
01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
As I said earlier quest your ass over to the Steelers' facility and get that job you think you're so qualified for.

I know this might be a lot for you too handle, but try to follow along. The people that know far more about football than you and I combined have brought him back yet once again. That alone says that Arians is no where near as bad as you and the rest make him out to be. It also confirms my statements that our problems on offense are located somewhere other than with the OC. Was that too much for you?

If Bruce was a doctor would you want him doing surgery on your kids?

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
A one year contract isn't exactly saying "we love having you"

And DL has been working with one year contracts for a couple years now. Do you doubt how much they love having him as well?

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
If Bruce was a doctor would you want him doing surgery on your kids?

I guess in some mythical land that actually makes sense.

Whodis
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
And DL has been working with one year contracts for a couple years now. Do you doubt how much they love having him as well?

Hasn't he already had his time @ HC? You didn't tell us all the great things BA does? Any stats?

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Hasn't he already had his time @ HC? You didn't tell us all the great things BA does? Any stats?

1 SB win, 2 AFC Championships, back to back 12-4 seasons

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM

and sean mahan was a great center right ? i mean why else would the all knowing bring him here if he wasn't .... its obvious us fools who watch the games with our own eyes don't know the difference between wiffing a block and when they are supposed to let guys run by em and sack the QB.

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=58446

May I ask, Mr. Arians...er....Platypus...who would be responsible for these calls?

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM

If I had the resources and connections, I just might go ahead and try that. But, I don't, so that deads that issue. What I am though, is a fan that has been around the game all my life. And while I may not have the resume to walk into the Steelers front office and demand a job, I do have years of gathered football knowledge from watching, playing and coaching at lower levels. I have enough common sense as a football fan to know when somebody is doing a good job, and somebody is not. I don't have to submit a resume to determine that.

For instance, I can tell that Ron Wolf is a great personnel guy, Matt Millen, not so much. I can tell that Bill Belichick is a really good head coach, Norv Turner, not so much. I can tell that Aaron Rodgers is a really good QB, Rex Grossman, not so much. I can tell that Wade Phillips is a pretty good DC, Juan Castillo not so much. And I can tell that Sean Payton is great OC, ....you can fill in the blank there.

Point is, I can ascertain all these things without being in position to threaten one of those guys' jobs. I know football. DO I have daily exposure to things that NFL people have. Of course not. But, that doesn't mean I can't what the hell is happening on front of my eyes. So, I won't be applying for the Steelers OC position, but I can still tell you that the guy that does the job now sucks at it.

Rockon

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM

More likely due to the fact that DL is nearing retirement age & less to do with his annual performance.

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
1 SB win, 2 AFC Championships, back to back 12-4 seasons

So, now you're trying to sell us that the Steelers went to those AFCCs/SBs on the shoulders of that high powered offense that averaged 35 pts. a game, and carried the sluggish defense through those 12-4 seasons. Well, I'm certainly glad you cleared that up for us. I think we all missed that.

Rockon

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
So, now you're trying to sell us that the Steelers went to those AFCCs/SBs on the shoulders of that high powered offense that averaged 35 pts. a game, and carried the sluggish defense through those 12-4 seasons. Well, I'm certainly glad you cleared that up for us. I think we all missed that.

Rockon

No, I'm saying we don't if Arians sucks as you claim.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=58446

May I ask, Mr. Arians...er....Platypus...who would be responsible for these calls?

Because I don't like a call that means Arians sucks? Or in this case I didn't like two calls. If I think DL should have blitzed on any given play but didn't does that mean he sucks too?

TRH
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
People are having so much stress over Arians that they're going to have a heart attack. lol

Here's the fact : He isn't going ANYWHERE. Tomlin has also said publicly he hopes to keep him.
The only way Arians leaves is if he has some kind of sudden health problem or if another team hires him away from us. Thats it.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
People are having so much stress over Arians that they're going to have a heart attack. lol

Here's the fact : He isn't going ANYWHERE. Tomlin has also said publicly he hopes to keep him.
The only way Arians leaves is if he has some kind of sudden health problem or if another team hires him away from us. Thats it.

There's an article from this morning that both he and DL are coming back for 2012.

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Because I don't like a call that means Arians sucks? Or in this case I didn't like two calls. If I think DL should have blitzed on any given play but didn't does that mean he sucks too?

Nope. But your post was two seasons ago. And here were are, dealing with the same play-calling issues as we were then. I say if Arians isn't part of the solution, then he's PART of the problem.

Yeah, we have o-line issues & dropped passes, etc, but so do most teams in the league. BA is unable to coach around them as a good OC would.

For example: If you KNOW you have problems on the o-line, why the hell would you continue to run receivers 50 yards down field with and empty backfield - on 3rd and 2?!?!? The list goes on and on.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
and sean mahan was a great center right ? i mean why else would the all knowing bring him here if he wasn't .... its obvious us fools who watch the games with our own eyes don't know the difference between wiffing a block and when they are supposed to let guys run by em and sack the QB.

They brought in Sean Mahan and he didn't work out, so they brought in someone else. Which clearly shows that if they're not happy with someone's performance they get replaced. Hmmmm
They just brought Arians back as OC for 6th year. I wonder how that applies to the example given? That's a tough one there.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Nope. But your post was two seasons ago. And here were are, dealing with the same play-calling issues as we were then. I say if Arians isn't part of the solution, then he's PART of the problem.

Yeah, we have o-line issues & dropped passes, etc, but so do most teams in the league. BA is unable to coach around them as a good OC would.

For example: If you KNOW you have problems on the o-line, why the hell would you continue to run receivers 50 yards down field with and empty backfield - on 3rd and 2?!?!? The list goes on and on.

exaggerate much?

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
They brought in Sean Mahan and he didn't work out, so they brought in someone else. Which clearly shows that if they're not happy with someone's performance they get replaced. Hmmmm
They just brought Arians back as OC for 6th year. I wonder how that applies to the example given? That's a tough one there.

Or maybe...they were like "shit, Norv is back in San Diego agian?!?! WTF...okay, give Bruce another year. Norv has GOT to be available next year!"

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
exaggerate much?

Exaggerate what? Ignore the obvious much?

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Exaggerate what? Ignore the obvious much?

3rd and 2 50 yard passes downfield

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Or maybe...they were like "shit, Norv is back in San Diego agian?!?! WTF...okay, give Bruce another year. Norv has GOT to be available next year!"

That's pretty funny

So basically you're saying that in all of football there's only one OC better than Arians. :rofl:

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
3rd and 2 50 yard passes downfield

My bad...3rd and inches...is that better?

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM

So you're one the people that thinks everything the team does is infallible. That's cool. It's good to have faith in your team. We all do. Some of us choose to go a little deeper with our analysis of the team.

However we don't all always agree with everything the team does. We come here to express that. Nobody here's opinion is valued by the team, so really we're all just spewing rhetoric. You are free to follow the team blindly if you want. But don't criticize those of us that choose not to. Some of us know this offense can be much better and want to see that. BA has shown he is not capable of getting any more out this team than he has. This offense has not improved under BA depsite improved weapons. In fact in a lot of ways, it has regressed.

Rockon

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
So you're one the people that thinks everything the team does is infallible. That's cool. It's good to have faith in your team. We all do. Some of us choose to go a little deeper with our analysis of the team.

However we don't all always agree with everything the team does. We come here to express that. Nobody here's opinion is valued by the team, so really we're all just spewing rhetoric. You are free to follow the team blindly if you want. But don't criticize those of us that choose not to. Some of us know this offense can be much better and want to see that. BA has shown NE is not capable of getting any more out this team than he has. This offense has not improved under BA depsite improved weapons. In fact in a lot of ways, it has regressed.

Rockon

I don't follow the team blindly by any means. To me it's pretty clear that our issues begin with poor execution by the offense as a whole and poor decision making by #7. The fact that the front office continues to bring back Arians supports my argument. I've never said the FO is infallible because they're not. They're human just like you and I and they make mistakes. However it should be clear that where they see issues they address them. If Arians is anywhere near as bad as you make him out to be they wouldn't continue to bring him back. THey might have brought him back 2x or maybe even 3x, but not 6 unless the problem starts and ends somewhere else.

You keep saying Arians sucks, Tomlin is afraid blah blah blah. IF any of that were true how does a team that suffers the season ending injuries that we have over the last two years do as well as we have?

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
That's pretty funny

So basically you're saying that in all of football there's only one OC better than Arians. :rofl:

Right. That's it. Listen, I get it...you're Mrs. Arians and I'm his ex. I can't stand to look at him & don't want him around the kids anymore.

You have your doubts, but choose to ignore the late-night beatings and his semi-awkward relationship with Big Ben. You keep on smiling & pretending that it's still love & that, with love, you two will make it.

Keep dreaming...it'll take the pain away....they have people you can talk to for that...

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't follow the team blindly by any means. To me it's pretty clear that our issues begin with poor execution by the offense as a whole and poor decision making by #7. The fact that the front office continues to bring back Arians supports my argument. I've never said the FO is infallible because they're not. They're human just like you and I and they make mistakes. However it should be clear that where they see issues they address them. If Arians is anywhere near as bad as you make him out to be they wouldn't continue to bring him back. THey might have brought him back 2x or maybe even 3x, but not 6 unless the problem starts and ends somewhere else.

You keep saying Arians sucks, Tomlin is afraid blah blah blah. IF any of that were true how does a team that suffers the season ending injuries that we have over the last two years do as well as we have?

Well, this year was thanks to a cake schedule. But, let me ask a question...if the problems are poor execution & have been for the last 3 seasons, who bears the blame for that? Maybe we should be asking for Tomlin to be fired?

Sixburgher
01-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Right. That's it. Listen, I get it...you're Mrs. Arians and I'm his ex. I can't stand to look at him & don't want him around the kids anymore.

You have your doubts, but choose to ignore the late-night beatings and his semi-awkward relationship with Big Ben. You keep on smiling & pretending that it's still love & that, with love, you two will make it.

Keep dreaming...it'll take the pain away....they have people you can talk to for that...

Personal attacks aside, at the end of the day Arians is staying for at least another year, so considering how obviously disgruntled you are over it, it may be wise for you and others to seek counseling.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Well, this year was thanks to a cake schedule. But, let me ask a question...if the problems are poor execution & have been for the last 3 seasons, who bears the blame for that? Maybe we should be asking for Tomlin to be fired?

So you consider playing 11 of 16 games against teams ranked with defenses in the top 10 is a cakewalk? As for your question you can go back a couple of pages and find your answer since someone else beat you by a couple of hours.

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
So you consider playing 11 of 16 games against teams ranked with defenses in the top 10 is a cakewalk? As for your question you can go back a couple of pages and find your answer since someone else beat you by a couple of hours.

No, but considering our defense bailed us out most of the season, I'd say playing 12 of 16 teams with either rookie, 2nd string, or marginal starting QB's a cakewalk.

I'm not seeking your wise counsel. It was rhetorical & I already have my answer.

Oh, and by the way, when it really mattered against Denver & our defense wasn't able to bail us out, what happened? We lost to a 3-rd string marginal QB.

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Personal attacks aside, at the end of the day Arians is staying for at least another year, so considering how obviously disgruntled you are over it, it may be wise for you and others to seek counseling.

Not a personal attack...just a set of word-pictures used to illustrate a point. And, I'm more than willing to eat BOAT-LOADS of crow if Arians suddenly gets this offense clicking. You can supply the Heinz if you wish.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
No, but considering our defense bailed us out most of the season, I'd say playing 12 of 16 teams with either rookie, 2nd string, or marginal starting QB's a cakewalk.

I'm not seeking your wise counsel. It was rhetorical & I already have my answer.

Oh, and by the way, when it really mattered against Denver & our defense wasn't able to bail us out, what happened? We lost to a 3-rd string marginal QB.

Let me guess it was Arians fault that Wallace dropped a few passes, Johnson dropped a couple, Cotchery dropped 1, and Ben forced a pass to a man that was covered by not 1, not 2 , but 3 people. And it was certainly Arians fault that Legursky snapped the ball over Ben's head to put an end to the 1st half. One last thing at the end of the game when #7 is running the slowest no huddle in history and calling his own plays while doing so. How is it Arians fault that we went backwards 20 yards in the final 30 seconds?

plenewken
01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=theplatypus;983209]So you consider playing 11 of 16 games against teams ranked with defenses in the top 10 is a cakewalk? As for your question you can go back a couple of pages and find your answer since someone else beat you by a couple of hours.[/QUOTE

Here are the total points per game scored by the Steelers since Arians is OC, including pts scored by the D (and the Special Teams).

I can't find stats showing the PPG scored only by the O but I'm pretty sure that they would push the Steelers further down in the rankings, most likely in the bottom half for the best years and in the bottom tier for the others.

I will spare you the comparison with NE. It's staggering.

No need to further elaborate, IMO. Our offense has difficulty putting points on the board, that's a well known fact.

Season Points per Game Ranking
2011 20.3 # 21
2010 23.4 #12
2009 23.0 #12
2008 21.7 #20
2007 24.6 # 9

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=theplatypus;983209]So you consider playing 11 of 16 games against teams ranked with defenses in the top 10 is a cakewalk? As for your question you can go back a couple of pages and find your answer since someone else beat you by a couple of hours.[/QUOTE

Here are the total points per game scored by the Steelers since Arians is OC, including pts scored by the D (and the Special Teams).

I can't find stats showing the PPG scored only by the O but I'm pretty sure that they would push the Steelers further down in the rankings, most likely in the bottom half for the best years and in the bottom tier for the others.

I will spare you the comparison with NE. It's staggering.

No need to further elaborate, IMO. Our offense has difficulty putting points on the board, that's a well known fact.

Season Points per Game Ranking
2011 20.3 # 21
2010 23.4 #12
2009 23.0 #12
2008 21.7 #20
2007 24.6 # 9

But, here's the thing about defenses. It's hard to score against the good ones. And where in those statistics are the numbers regarding turnovers and penalties by the offense? As pointed out earlier in our 5 worst offensive performances we killed nearly 35% of our possessions via turnover. That doesn't include drive killing penalties.

RavenManiac
01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
You guys have a top 5 QB in the league. Arguing he 'makes too many mistakes" for your scheme to succeed is the same as arguing your scheme stinks.

This argument is a mirror-image of the arguments about Cam Cameron's (in)abilities. And the 'execution' excuse is as weak here as it is in those debates. The OC needs to run an offense that can be 'executed' by his players. Period. If your O-line is too porous to protect for 5 seconds, then stop calling plays where that is required for the play to succeed.

Every play in the playbook is a TD if it is "executed." Why not have a drunk chimp throw darts at the playbook and run those plays? If they fail then of course the players on the field didn't "execute" them.

Arians gets less production out of your offensive talent than he should. Period. So does Cam Cameron, though he was issued an ultimatum mid-season to correct some of his more egregious idiocies and since then he has been marginally better. Cameron also has a QB that has some real issues with reading defenses (orders of magnitude worse than Ben in that department).

Like I said in another thread, Arians is too cute by half. I understand why Ben wants to keep him, Ben's stats are better with Arians around, even if the offense's production is worse (or at minimum less consistent).

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 02:41 PM
This argument is a mirror-image of the arguments about Cam Cameron's (in)abilities. And the 'execution' excuse is as weak here as it is in those debates. The OC needs to run an offense that can be 'executed' by his players. Period. If your O-line is too porous to protect for 5 seconds, then stop calling plays where that is required for the play to succeed.

And it's an argument than can be found at some point for just about every single OC in the league. So either all of the coaches, front offices etc in the league are stupid and the OC all suck or the fans that are complaining don't know quite as much as they think.

The funniest part about a Raven fan coming here is there are Steelers fans on this board that think Cameron would be an upgrade. The grass is always greener...

RavenManiac
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
And it's an argument than can be found at some point for just about every single OC in the league. So either all of the coaches, front offices etc in the league are stupid and the OC all suck or the fans that are complaining don't know quite as much as they think.

The funniest part about a Raven fan coming here is there are Steelers fans on this board that think Cameron would be an upgrade. The grass is always greener...

To turn around your first argument, either all the coaches and front offices in the league are geniuses and all the OCs are equally great or the fans that defend them don't know quite as much as they think. ;)

Cameron might be a slight upgrade, it is hard to say without making the swap and testing it. But if so, it would be a miniscule upgrade. And it could very well be a slight downgrade.

plenewken
01-11-2012, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=plenewken;983226]

But, here's the thing about defenses. It's hard to score against the good ones. And where in those statistics are the numbers regarding turnovers and penalties by the offense? As pointed out earlier in our 5 worst offensive performances we killed nearly 35% of our possessions via turnover. That doesn't include drive killing penalties.

I don't think the Steelers is the only team facing good defenses. NE doesn't face weaker opponents, yet they consistently rank at the top in offense with at least 10pts more per game over 16 games.

Turnovers, sacks and penalties (holding, false starts, illegal motion, offensive interference etc...) demonstrate that we're not a good offense. At the end of the day, if we can't get the ball in the end zone, regardless of the reason, we fail. Plain and simple.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
To turn around your first argument, either all the coaches and front offices in the league are geniuses and all the OCs are equally great or the fans that defend them don't know quite as much as they think. ;)

I understand your point and appreciate it. However, if Arians was anywhere near as bad as he's made out to be then he would be replaced. Instead 3 days after we lost in the 1st round of the playoffs we learn that he's coming back for a 6th season. Certainly if he was as bad as he's made out to be they would have at the very least explored other options.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=theplatypus;983229]

I don't think the Steelers is the only team facing good defenses. NE doesn't face weaker opponents, yet they consistently rank at the top in offense with at least 10pts more per game over 16 games.

Turnovers, sacks and penalties (holding, false starts, illegal motion, offensive interference etc...) demonstrate that we're not a good offense. At the end of the day, if we can't get the ball in the end zone, regardless of the reason, we fail. Plain and simple.

And Brady is a better QB period. He's more accurate and makes better and quicker decisions. By the time Ben is done doing pump fakes and running around Brady has thrown 3 passes. Ben does a pump fake in his own endzone and throws a pick 6. Brady skips the pump fake and hits Welker 12 yards down the field who in turn scores a td.

RavenManiac
01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I understand your point and appreciate it. However, if Arians was anywhere near as bad as he's made out to be then he would be replaced. Instead 3 days after we lost in the 1st round of the playoffs we learn that he's coming back for a 6th season. Certainly if he was as bad as he's made out to be they would have at the very least explored other options.

I agree he probably isn't as bad as people are saying. Or said another way, there are plenty of OCs that are so close to his ability (i.e. not a clear upgrade) that swapping for the sake of swapping (and starting over in terms of scheme and playbook) isn't worth it.

I would say OC's are like QBs in terms of quality/ranking. There are a handful of 'elite,' then a 'good' middle tier, etc then after a bit more drop there becomes a mass of hard-to-differentiate 'mediocre' guys. Is Hasselbeck better than Grossman? Is Cameron better than Arians? That kind of question. I think Arians is in the mediocre blob (with Cameron), and therefore, unless you guys could replace him with an elite or even a clearly 'good' OC, there is no real point in switching (it would be gamble to switch, etc)

plenewken
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=plenewken;983239]

And Brady is a better QB period. He's more accurate and makes better and quicker decisions. By the time Ben is done doing pump fakes and running around Brady has thrown 3 passes. Ben does a pump fake in his own endzone and throws a pick 6. Brady skips the pump fake and hits Welker 12 yards down the field who in turn scores a td.

True but Ben has an OC coach who apparently doesn't mind seeing him do it. It's Arians' job to design plays that exploits the opponent's weaknesses and leverage the strength of his players.
Unless Arians gets a bonus each time Ben is sacked for a loss, I don't understand the reason why he continues to design plays which take several seconds to develop with a low % of success when shorter screen passes and well design running plays consistently gain yardage and more importantly, kill time and keep the opponent's offense off the field.

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
my point is, they brought him in ,paid him millions of dollars to find out he sucks ass. any tampabay fan could have saved them the trouble. or they could have just watch tampa game film and let the results speak for themselves. hell tomlin even seen mayhan play with his own damn eyes and still signed off on it. so why did tampa fans already know he sucked , but tomlin had to have an extra year to figure out what the fans already knew ? they giggled like school girls on the tampa forum when the steelers made the trade for him.

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
don't under estimate the lobby of a franchise qb...everybody expected norv to be shit canned ... the fans wanted him gone...rivers spoke up for him.

Philip Rivers lobbies for Chargers to keep Norv Turner

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-20/philip-rivers-lobbies-for-chargers-to-keep-norv-turner#ixzz1jCM4OtsZ

Need4Sweed
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I like many of you have been screaming for past 3 yrs. Why are we empty backfield 3rd n 1? Why are we empty backfield 1st n goal inside 5? Why are we EMPTY freaking backfield 2nd n 3-6 after running with success? guess i'm piling on here, but this is a major flaw in the offensive approach. Look, i am not screaming from the hills to fire BA, but something has to give after watching this style of play calling fail in the most crucial of times. The bubble screens, well, if not run 5 million times a game can be effective as an element of surprise...just stop using Ward when needing more than 10yrds. For obvious reasons.

Rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I like many of you have been screaming for past 3 yrs. Why are we empty backfield 3rd n 1? Why are we empty backfield 1st n goal inside 5? Why are we EMPTY freaking backfield 2nd n 3-6 after running with success? guess i'm piling on here, but this is a major flaw in the offensive approach. Look, i am not screaming from the hills to fire BA, but something has to give after watching this style of play calling fail in the most crucial of times. The bubble screens, well, if not run 5 million times a game can be effective as an element of surprise...just stop using Ward when needing more than 10yrds. For obvious reasons.

I AMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! FIRE HIS BUM ASS NOWWWWW!!!

Rockon