PDA

View Full Version : Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers

mesaSteeler
01-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Steelers could experience significant roster turnover this offseason.

There will be very little, if any, when it comes to Mike Tomlin's coaching staff.

Both offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will return in 2012.

The two were at Steelers' headquarters yesterday as various players went through exit meetings and interviews with their position coach, as well as Tomlin.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis said LeBeau had a simple message to the players that will take time off before returning to Pittsburgh to start training for the 2012 season.

"He just told us to come back ready to win a Super Bowl," Lewis said.

The Steelers finished first in the NFL this season in scoring defense (14.2 points allowed per game) and total defense (271.8 yards ppg). They were 12th in total offense (372.3 yards per game) and tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 yards per game).

The Steelers had to weather significant injuries on both sides of the ball.

Wilson has surgery

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Friday in a house fire, underwent surgery Monday.

"He's strong enough to go through surgery, so that's always a good thing," Steelers running back Isaac Redman said.

Redman visited Wilson and his family Tuesday at UPMC Mercy Hospital. Wilson has been hospitalized since suffering significant burns on his arms and legs early Friday.

Wilson, who recently completed his fifth year on Tomlin's staff, was injured late last week when a fire started in the kitchen of his Seven Fields townhouse.

Starks 'devastated' by injury

Max Starks sustained a right knee injury last Sunday in Denver, and it sounds as if the mammoth left tackle tore his ACL.

"I know he is devastated going into a free-agency year," guard Trai Essex said of Starks, who turned 30 on Tuesday. "It's unfortunate that he had this happen to him, but I know he will bounce back. He is a warrior."

Starks, an eight-year veteran, will be an unrestricted free agent in March.

He started the Steelers' final 13 games at left tackle after re-signing with the team in early October. The Steelers released Starks in July because of concerns over the salary cap and Starks' weight.

Gay hopes to return

Cornerback William Gay, who won the starting job opposite Ike Taylor early in the season, said the fifth-year veteran hopes to return to the Steelers next season.

Gay, one of the Steelers' most improved players this season, will be an unrestricted free agent at the start of the NFL's new year in March.

"I don't know what Coach Tomlin will do," Gay said, "but I do want to be here."

Gay finished fifth on the Steelers with 61 tackles. He tied for the team lead in interceptions with two.

Brown Q&A

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown will be part of a free online town hall meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday on Concert-oh.com.

Brown will participate in a live question-and-answer session online via web cam. Fans can register for free online at the website.

Brown caught 69 passes for 1,108 yards this season. He will play in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month in Hawaii.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432

Read more: Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_776008.html#ixzz1j9R1h0BQ

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 07:13 AM
If this is true, it's ridiculous! I'm sick to my fuggin stomach!! What the hell does Mike Tomlin see in Bruce Arians that he keeps letting this guy hang around in spite of constant offensive mediocrity and ineptitude, even though the Steelers have a ton of offensive weapons? 22nd in scoring? Really? The Dolphins, Jets, Vikings and Bengals all scored more than the Steelers, and the latter two had rookie QBs, and Vikes have no WRs, the Jets have Mark Sanchez and the Dolphins have some no-name guy playing QB. The Steelers have elite weapons and a franchise QB.

I've said it before, if Wes Saunders played in NE, NO, GB, SD, he would've been a monster this year. If Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, JerMicheal Finley played in Pittsburgh, nobody would know who they are, because they'd be blocking FBs, with maybe 2 targets a game at TE position if they're lucky.

Why won't somebody please do us all a favor and make the decision for Tomlin, and offer Arians a HC job? PLEASE??!!!! A bunch of other OCs are being interviewed and hired all over, including the Brian Schottenheimer, who Jets fans kill more that we do Arians. Mike Mularkey just got hired in Jax. Some guys are being offered college gigs. Josh McDaniels literally lasted all of about 10 minutes on the market and was snatched up quick. If Bruce were to be let go, he would be on the market 10 yrs. and still be waiting for a call.

Phil Simms expressed during the game, how shocked he was that Arians is not being considered for any HC positions. That's not shocking Phil, not if you pay attention to the games. The real shock would be if anybody even called to inquire about his availabilty. And after all this time, OC of 2 SB teams, 1 SB winning team and team that has gone 12-4, 3 of the last 4 yrs. Yet, nobody has called. That's says an awful lot about what football people, college and pro, think about Bruce Arians.

:banging: :banging: :banging:

Rockon

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I need a little Nelson from The SImpsons gif.

steelfury02
01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Lebeau coming back is very comforting for me. I'm encouraged that they didn't pull the trigger because of one bad call that kept the middle of the field completely wide open (along with Ike's worst game in a long time plus a pass rush that never had time to heal to become effective enough)

As far as Arians coming back - I'm annoyed - but not shocked. I'd like to see Ben and co step up to the plate and put in some real off season time together and hopefully, the red zone efficiency will go up. Let's not discount miscues and dropped balls by receivers. Not an Arians apologist - but at least we will be coming back as underdogs and not defending AFC champs. The Ravens and a high seed are ripe for the picking next season - I think we will see a hungrier team.

steelfury02
01-11-2012, 07:36 AM
also - what approach did Ben take in 07 where set the career highs in TDs, etc - that offense looked extremely capable - might need more of that

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 07:40 AM
also - what approach did Ben take in 07 where set the career highs in TDs, etc - that offense looked extremely capable - might need more of that

I think that's the year we took a lot of shots down field and completed a fair number in the process. We scored a bunch and quickly, but it put our defense on the field a lot.

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention. The BALTIMORE RAVENS, with their "BUM QB", no WRs and "WORSE THAN BRUCE ARIANS, OC, Cam Cameron, (whom some here have chosen to use as the measuring stick for Arians, not sure why) averaged more ppg than the Steelers. Yet, people still defend the idiot, and he keeps hanging around.

I guess we're gonna be in for another year of offensive offense.

Rockon

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention. The BALTIMORE RAVENS, with their "BUM QB", no WRs and "WORSE THAN BRUCE ARIANS, OC, Cam Cameron, (whom some here have chosen to use as the measuring stick for Arians, not sure why) averaged more ppg than the Steelers. Yet, people still defend the idiot, and he keeps hanging around.

When did Boldin and Evans become known as no WRs?

jrompola
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I live in the philly area and all I hear is complaining about keeping Andy Reid and I think the situation is similar with Arians

Andy Reid gives the eagles the best shot to win the superbowl next year and I think the same can be said about Arians even though I hate to admit it.

There have been glimpses of what this offense could be like if we stop running 15-25 yard routes and those stupid wr screens

We need to have the same gameplan that was used against the pats this year and is used by the pats, saints, packers, and almost every successful offensive team which is quick passes.

This is the nfl and these guys are pros and if you give the D 3 or more seconds to get to the QB most likely they will. Ben picked apart the pats and the TE was key in moving the ball up and down the field at will, but we do I see against the broncos?? The wr's & te's running 15 yards down the field and wr screens.

Clearly Issac Redman can run the ball and so can mendenhall when an emphasis is placed on the run and a quick passing game will open up the run and running the ball well will open up the deep pass

We saw it in the Broncos this year...they run the ball well and lull the defense to sleep and hit them with a homerun once or twice per game.

I think it's in our best interest to keep the coordinators the same and focus on what we do well which is quick passing, consistent run game, and cut down on deep pass attempts. On D we should not drastically change our game plan to stop teams. Obviously slight adjustments need to be changed week in and week out, but there is a reason the steelers have been the top defense year in and year out

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 07:58 AM

What we'll get, is another offseason hearing, " we have so much potential, this offense is right on the edge of breaking out,, we're gonna score more, :blah: :blah: :blah: ". And then we'll watch the offense spend the year stumbling all over itself, on their way to a staggering 20 ppg avg., waiting for the defense to bail it out. Problem is, the defense aint built like that no more. This offense needs to take the next step, and it aint happening with Bruce at the helm.

And the most telling thing that the offense underacheives every year, is that right before every training camp, we hear, from Bruce and Ben, "this is the year the offense", :blah: :blah:, "score more points", :blah: :blah:, "pick up the slack from the d", :blah: :blah:

Question for all the Bruce defenders. Why has this offense not improved in the 5 yrs Bruce has been OC? Why are we having this conversation about the offense underacheiving every offseason?

Rockon

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 08:01 AM

Evans hasn't played all year. Boldin is not the impact receiver he was 5 yrs ago. And the rookie Smith is dynamic, but inconsistent. But, the general on this board as well as in the media in general, is that the Ravens don't have a very good receiving core. And certainly not one the caliber of the Steelers.

Rockon

SteeleReign
01-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I live in the philly area and all I hear is complaining about keeping Andy Reid and I think the situation is similar with Arians

Andy Reid gives the eagles the best shot to win the superbowl next year and I think the same can be said about Arians even though I hate to admit it.

There have been glimpses of what this offense could be like if we stop running 15-25 yard routes and those stupid wr screens
We need to have the same gameplan that was used against the pats this year and is used by the pats, saints, packers, and almost every successful offensive team which is quick passes.

This is the nfl and these guys are pros and if you give the D 3 or more seconds to get to the QB most likely they will. Ben picked apart the pats and the TE was key in moving the ball up and down the field at will, but we do I see against the broncos?? The wr's & te's running 15 yards down the field and wr screens.

Clearly Issac Redman can run the ball and so can mendenhall when an emphasis is placed on the run and a quick passing game will open up the run and running the ball well will open up the deep pass

We saw it in the Broncos this year...they run the ball well and lull the defense to sleep and hit them with a homerun once or twice per game.

I think it's in our best interest to keep the coordinators the same and focus on what we do well which is quick passing, consistent run game, and cut down on deep pass attempts. On D we should not drastically change our game plan to stop teams. Obviously slight adjustments need to be changed week in and week out, but there is a reason the steelers have been the top defense year in and year out

Okay. Here's the problem. Arians is unable to think on his feet. He stubbornly sticks to whatever magical gameplan he came up with during the week & refuses to adjust as necessary in-game. We will likely be in store for more of the same maddening (Madden-ing?) play-calling from BA. Take what works & chuck it out the window. He seems more concerned about proving himself some sort of flashy offensive genius rather than winning football games.

madtowndrunkard
01-11-2012, 08:15 AM
How long has Arians had with this offense? 5 years? What ever it is, he's had plenty of time to show improvement. I mean how many offenses in the league have had the same OC as the steelers? Yet we still look out of synch, confused, and struggle to score points against even the worst of defenses.

If Arians does return, Tomlin has lost all of my respect of him as a HC and a leader. This offense had by far the most talent Pittsburgh has seen in decades. We have 4 damn good WR's...two of which I'd say are pro bowl quality. Heath Miller - one of the better TE's in the AFC. Two solid RB's....who have probowl potential. Ben - a future HOF QB. ...and as scary as this sounds....probably the best O-line we've had since 2005/06 With this talent there is ZERO excuse for our struggles.

Also keep in mind we are in the offensive "ROID" era of the NFL. Offensive stats have been inflated by the crazy rule changes and officiating. So before you get all goo goo over the stats our QB and WR's put up...remember we were 21st in scoring.

EbonySteel86
01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
The best games Arians called were the NE game, Tenn game and the Rams game. The rest of the games were painful to watch. Mike pleeeeeeese, get rid of this dude!!! Pretty please with sugar on top.....and sprinkles!!!!!

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
How long has Arians had with this offense? 5 years? What ever it is, he's had plenty of time to show improvement. I mean how many offenses in the league have had the same OC as the steelers? Yet we still look out of synch, confused, and struggle to score points against even the worst of defenses.

If Arians does return, Tomlin has lost all of my respect of him as a HC and a leader. This offense had by far the most talent Pittsburgh has seen in decades. We have 4 damn good WR's...two of which I'd say are pro bowl quality. Heath Miller - one of the better TE's in the AFC. Two solid RB's....who have probowl potential. Ben - a future HOF QB. ...and as scary as this sounds....probably the best O-line we've had since 2005/06 With this talent there is ZERO excuse for our struggles.

Also keep in mind we are in the offensive "ROID" era of the NFL. Offensive stats have been inflated by the crazy rule changes and officiating. So before you get all goo goo over the stats our QB and WR's put up...remember we were 21st in scoring.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit:

What good is continuity if it's continued mediocrity and underachievement (I mean the offense, not the team record)?

Rockon

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike Mularkey, who did not win a playoff game in his 4 years as Falcons OC, was on the losing end of a 24-2 game this past Sunday, and probably was going to be fired was hired as the Jax HC last night.

OTOH, Arians has been the OC for 2 Steelers teams that have gone to the Super Bowl but as far as I am aware has never been a candidate for a NFL HC position.

As a fan I am not a shrewd assessor of coaching talent but the GMs who make the hiring decisions are. Arians never being a HC candidate despite the success of the team for which he has been OC is the definitive statement as to the perception of his skills within the league.

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Mike Mularkey, who did not win a playoff game in his 4 years as Falcons OC, was on the losing end of a 24-2 game this past Sunday, and probably was going to be fired was hired as the Jax HC last night.

OTOH, Arians has been the OC for 2 Steelers teams that have gone to the Super Bowl but as far as I am aware has never been a candidate for a NFL HC position.

As a fan I am not a shrewd assessor of coaching talent but the GMs who make the hiring decisions are. Arians never being a HC candidate despite the success of the team for which he has been OC is the definitive statement as to the perception of his skills within the league.

Some people really just don't get that.

Rockon

Fire Arians
01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
i thought that dumb **** arians was gonna retire last year. another year of this bullshit?

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
i thought that dumb **** arians was gonna retire last year. another year of this bullshit?

Unfortunately, looks like it. This idiot damn near takes the fun out of watching Steelers football.

Rockon

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
which one of lee's 4 catches for the year did you find most impressive ?
boldin didn't exactly have a career year in bmore.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Does this rip on now departed Falcons OC Mike Mularkey in the Atlanta paper remind you of anyone?:noidea::chuckle:

Mularkey never figured out a way to fully utilize the weapons on the team, and he became indignant any time somebody suggested his play-calling was flawed.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/01/11/falcons-change-coordinators-but-failure-starts-with-mike-smith/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

By way of comparison, here are the offensive rankings of the Falcons and Steelers since Mularkey became the Falcons OC in 2008

Steelers Offensive Rankings

2011 Points - 21 Yards - 17
2010 Points - 12 Yards - 14
2009 Points - 12 Yards - 7
2008 Points - 20 Yards - 22

Falcons Offensive Rankings
2011 Points - 7 Yards - 10
2010 Points - 5 Yards - 16
2009 Points - 13 Yards - 16
2008 Points - 10 Yards - 6

So of course Mularkey is the one who was going to be fired:mad:

Sixburgher
01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
So of course Mularkey is the one who was going to be fired:mad:

Considering that Mularkey took a promotion to be a head coach somewhere else, I think that qualifies as more media conjecture than anything. The Pittsburgh media has had Arians out the door for at least two years now.

theplatypus
01-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Up until this year Atlanta had two weapons, Roddy White and Michael Turner. IF you've been paying attention to the Falcons one of the knocks on MM was being too conservative.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Considering that Mularkey took a promotion to be a head coach somewhere else, I think that qualifies as more media conjecture than anything. The Pittsburgh media has had Arians out the door for at least two years now.

Mularkey has been on the hot seat here all year and, unlkle Arians, did not have the benefit of 2 trips to the Super Bowl and an ownership with a tradition of patience that does not meddle in the hiring and firing of assistant coaches

After Sunday's debacle against the Giants and the failure to throw deep more often after the Falcons GM gave up a lot to get Julio Jones in the 2011 draft someone was going to get tagged for the problems on offense - it wasn't going to be Matt Ryan

If I was a Jax fan i would be sick that a retread like Mularkey was hired

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2012, 12:02 PM
While the Miami Dolphins await a decision from Jeff Fisher, they're interviewing other candidates for their head-coaching job.

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer completed an interview Tuesday. The Dolphins also have interviewed Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, Chicago Bears special teams coordinator Dave Toub, and Todd Bowles, who was Miami's interim coach for the final three games this season after Tony Sparano was fired.

The Dolphins planned to interview Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, but he accepted an offer to become the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/01/10/miami.dolphins.mike.zimmer.ap/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a12

I guess offensive mastermind Bruce Arians told Miami he is the Steelers "head coach in waiting" when Tomlin retires and declined to be interviewed by Miami - given that anyone who questions BA's credentials is just an ignorant fan, that can be the only possible reason why a talent like Arians has not been hired as HC somewhere else

stb_steeler
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, looks like it. This idiot damn near takes the fun out of watching Steelers football.

Rockon

I kinda feel the same way. We havent seen a whole lot of exciting plays of late!
Not alot of changes in the way we play.....

Kanata-Steeler
01-11-2012, 02:10 PM
LeBeau I expected,..., but ARIENS , Ariens !!!???? , like wtf Ben ?, -it's time to let this 'ole fool go. These ":air-head" plays' only, can't be that good for you son.
... when are we ever gonna LEARN !!!

BengalDestroyer
01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
If this is true, it's ridiculous! I'm sick to my fuggin stomach!! What the hell does Mike Tomlin see in Bruce Arians that he keeps letting this guy hang around in spite of constant offensive mediocrity and ineptitude, even though the Steelers have a ton of offensive weapons? 22nd in scoring? Really? The Dolphins, Jets, Vikings and Bengals all scored more than the Steelers, and the latter two had rookie QBs, and Vikes have no WRs, the Jets have Mark Sanchez and the Dolphins have some no-name guy playing QB. The Steelers have elite weapons and a franchise QB.

I've said it before, if Wes Saunders played in NE, NO, GB, SD, he would've been a monster this year. If Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, JerMicheal Finley played in Pittsburgh, nobody would know who they are, because they'd be blocking FBs, with maybe 2 targets a game at TE position if they're lucky.

Why won't somebody please do us all a favor and make the decision for Tomlin, and offer Arians a HC job? PLEASE??!!!! A bunch of other OCs are being interviewed and hired all over, including the Brian Schottenheimer, who Jets fans kill more that we do Arians. Mike Mularkey just got hired in Jax. Some guys are being offered college gigs. Josh McDaniels literally lasted all of about 10 minutes on the market and was snatched up quick. If Bruce were to be let go, he would be on the market 10 yrs. and still be waiting for a call.

Phil Simms expressed during the game, how shocked he was that Arians is not being considered for any HC positions. That's not shocking Phil, not if you pay attention to the games. The real shock would be if anybody even called to inquire about his availabilty. And after all this time, OC of 2 SB teams, 1 SB winning team and team that has gone 12-4, 3 of the last 4 yrs. Yet, nobody has called. That's says an awful lot about what football people, college and pro, think about Bruce Arians.

:banging: :banging: :banging:

Rockon

Yeah, this is really gotten on my nerves as well I HATE Bruce Arians. THE DOWNFALL of the Steelers period. Holds us back way too much...

lipps83
01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
This is ****ing ridiculous and I hope that the writer misheard something.

For ****s sake.

MACH1
01-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Square peg meet round hole. :banging:

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
While the Miami Dolphins await a decision from Jeff Fisher, they're interviewing other candidates for their head-coaching job.

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer completed an interview Tuesday. The Dolphins also have interviewed Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, Chicago Bears special teams coordinator Dave Toub, and Todd Bowles, who was Miami's interim coach for the final three games this season after Tony Sparano was fired.

The Dolphins planned to interview Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, but he accepted an offer to become the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/01/10/miami.dolphins.mike.zimmer.ap/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a12

I guess offensive mastermind Bruce Arians told Miami he is the Steelers "head coach in waiting" when Tomlin retires and declined to be interviewed by Miami - given that anyone who questions BA's credentials is just an ignorant fan, that can be the only possible reason why a talent like Arians has not been hired as HC somewhere else

I mean, c'mon....really? Special teams coaches are getting interviews, but not the Steelers resident genius. Yeah I guess us fans don't know shit from shinola. Seems to me like the whole NFL is passing on that boat. Not, the Steelers though.

Rockon

ricardisimo
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Ben's best two years by far were 2007 and 2009. We wound up 10-6 in '07, and a quick out to the Jaguars, of all teams in the wildcard round; and we were 9-7 in '09 and missed the playoffs entirely. I don't think it's a coincidence. I think Bruce Arians only understands stat-padding, not winning football... certainly not situational football.

Third-and-inches: obvious passing down.

ricardisimo
01-11-2012, 03:47 PM
which one of lee's 4 catches for the year did you find most impressive ?
boldin didn't exactly have a career year in bmore.
:rofl:

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Dick LeBeau will return as defensive coordinator for the Steelers in 2012, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that he wanted both of his coordinators back and LeBeau had told him he wanted to return. LeBeau has been the Steelers defensive coordinator since 2004 in his second coaching stint with the Steelers. He was part of Bill Cowher's original staff in 1992 and as secondary coach helped install a defense they still run today. He was promoted to coordinator in 1995 and then left to become assistant head coach in Cincinnati in 1997, eventually becoming the Bengals head coach from 2000 to 2002. He was assistant head coach in Buffalo in 2003 before returnig to the Steelers.

LeBeau's defense finished first in the NFL this season in both points and total defense

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202851-100.stm

Unlike some posters, i regard this as god news

At this point my only hope, faint as it may be, is that we have not yet had a "source" definitely confirm Arians is returning

In the unlikely event Arians were to leave, the NFL game of cocahing assistant musical chairs has begun and a lot of teams are looking for OCs (e.g. - in addition to teams hiring new HCs looking for staff, the Jets dumped Schottenheimer today and hired Tony Sparano)

Tomlin certainly has not indicated the Steelers are among those looking and I wonder who would be available if Arians were to be persuaded by Art Rooney to "resign"

tony hipchest
01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Up until this year Atlanta had two weapons, Roddy White and Michael Turner. IF you've been paying attention to the Falcons one of the knocks on MM was being too conservative.i get the part that mularkey was able to do more with less than arians, all while being more conservative, but how exactly does that endorse arians keeping his job or even being mentioned as a HC candidate?

chan gailey, ron erhardt, mike mularkey and ken wisenhunt ALL ran statistically more potent offenses that easilly outscored ANY of the 5 years arians had the same job. they were all showed the door or allowed to walk.

gilbride and sherman sucked and were kicked out the door.

what exactly is it that make arians so special to his supporters? is it a similar "ben-like" affinity for the man?

cause it cant be anything else.

this is a business and its based on results.

teams with better offenses are already out there retooling to get better. are the steelers above this or incapable?

ricardisimo
01-11-2012, 03:58 PM
i get the part that mularkey was able to do more with less than arians, all while being more conservative, but how exactly does that endorse arians keeping his job or even being mentioned as a HC candidate?

chan gailey, ron erhardt, mike mularkey and ken wisenhunt ALL ran statistically more potent offenses that easilly outscored ANY of the 5 years arians had the same job. they were all showed the door or allowed to walk.

what exactly is it that make arians so special to his supporters? is it a similar "ben-like" affinity for the man?

teams with better offenses are already out there retooling to get better. are the steelers above this or incapable?
Exactly.

steelerjim58
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
It truly is a mystery to me hpow Arians has kept his job this long. The Steelers scoring offense has been pretty bad for a few years now. At some point you would think that it comes down to the oc. Looking forward to another year of close games because we keep settling for fgs in the red zone.

TRH
01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
in one way its hard to believe Arians has kept his position so long, we've become THE most predictable offense in the entire NFL, bar none.
On the other hand, we've been consistently winning....that buys right into Tomlin's "stay the course" philosophies and keeps him here. Plus Tomlin has said, numerous times in the past and also within the last day or two, that he wants both coordinators back.
So he stays.

PhantomJB93
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
This really isn't any shock at all. Anybody who thought Lebeau wouldn't leave on his own terms was just stuck in the "OMG WE LOST TO TEBOW" aftermath. And it's been apparent for a while now that if Ben is here, Arians is here. Ben likes Arians and unless Arians gets offered a better job elsewhere he's not going to leave.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
i get the part that mularkey was able to do more with less than arians, all while being more conservative, but how exactly does that endorse arians keeping his job or even being mentioned as a HC candidate?

Of course Cowher would change coaches constantly (LeBeau took a lateral hire as the Benglas DC to escape Cowher in the mid-1990s)

Art Rooney apparently tried to fix the Arians situation after the 2009 season but Tomlin can be stubborn (e.g. - playing Ben and Pouncey in Cleveland/keeping Aaron Smith on the 2010 roster and bringing Smith back in 2010 while Starks was cut with potentialy disastrous results for the OL)

Tomlin may be more loyal to Arians than he was to the OL and ST coaches he has canned but I am coming around to the view the Steelers HC will dig in rather than fix a mistake - that may be Tomlin's core weakness as a HC, one that is holding the offense back

Other owners with a much lower history of success than the Steelers are not as forgiving about underperformance

Falcons owner Arthur Blank admitted that he was “angry” after the team’s early exit from the playoffs in a press conference on Wednesday...

Blank stated that the team is playing for “rings” and “championships.” He said, “We’re not about being in the playoffs. . . this organization is about greatness.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/01/11/falcons-presser-blank-was-angry-with-season/

Although at least one poster here (presumably not from Atlanta) doubts it, Mularkey was going to get fired if the Jags had not made the idiotic decision to hire him as HC. I guess "the standard' in Atlanta is different when it comes to consequences for coordinators who do not deliver

Sixburgher
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Of course Cowher would change coaches constantly (LeBeau took a lateral hire as the Benglas DC to escape Cowher in the mid-1990s)

Art Rooney apparently tried to fix the Arians situation after the 2009 season but Tomlin can be stubborn (e.g. - playing Ben and Pouncey in Cleveland/keeping Aaron Smith on the 2010 roster and bringing Smith back in 2010 while Starks was cut with potentialy disastrous results for the OL)

Tomlin may be more loyal to Arians than he was to the OL and ST coaches he has canned but I am coming around to the view the Steelers HC will dig in rather than fix a mistake - that may be Tomlin's core weakness as a HC, one that is holding the offense back

Other owners with a much lower history of success than the Steelers are not as forgiving about underperformance

Falcons owner Arthur Blank admitted that he was “angry” after the team’s early exit from the playoffs in a press conference on Wednesday...

Blank stated that the team is playing for “rings” and “championships.” He said, “We’re not about being in the playoffs. . . this organization is about greatness.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/01/11/falcons-presser-blank-was-angry-with-season/

Although at least one poster here (presumably not from Atlanta) doubts it, Mularkey was going to get fired if the Jags had not made the idiotic decision to hire him as HC. I guess "the standard' in Atlanta is different when it comes to consequences for coordinators who do not deliver

Yeah, and reportedly Rooney was unhappy with Arians after 2009 too and he was "for sure" fired, but he stayed. Just because the local media has someone fired doesn't necessarily make it so.

60_MINUTES
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I assume no one has confirmed for 100 percent Arians is back??? I saw on ESPN they said he was back but the article says Dick L said he was coming back... So does anyone know for sure cause Im still praying he Retires or something

tony hipchest
01-11-2012, 10:50 PM
arians and lebeau both stated upon exit interviews that they both intend to return if tomlin will have them back.

tomlin said on monday that (at that point) he anticipates both returning.

art rooney II hasnt said jack shit yet so it most certainly isnt etched in stone.

sharkweek
01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Arians needs to go, our talented offense is being squandered, its a travesty

it was a miracle to see such a unique offensive attack against the Patriots, only to never see that same sort of creativity again the rest of the season (which leads me to believe it was just a huge coincidental accident). WTF. Get rid of this bum.

Rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM

it was a miracle to see such a unique offensive attack against the Patriots, only to never see that same sort of creativity again the rest of the season (which leads me to believe it was just a huge coincidental accident). WTF. Get rid of this bum.

Word Up!!! :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

If this aint the truth, then the truth is a damn lie!!

Rockon

SteelMusic
01-12-2012, 12:19 AM
I think looking at the personnel puts this into perspective. This is a piece from an article I found and this guy nails it.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/11/lebeau-and-arians-returning-my-misgivings/

...The points per game average for Pittsburgh reflects this mediocre trend also. The Steelers scored only 20.5 points per game this season which put them tied for 21st in the N.F.L.. That’s right, an Offense with a Pro Bowl QB, two Pro Bowl WR’s and a third that’s a Hall of Famer, a Pro Bowl TE, and two RB’s that are competent in the run and pass games scored under 21 points per game. Granted the O-Line should shoulder part of this blame, but not all of it. Was it the O-Line’s fault that sent Mendenhall up the gut 4 straight times against the Browns and gave no illusion of craftiness or deception with the play-calling? I didn’t think so. Was it the O-Line’s fault that Miller, Johnson, and Saunders became invisible in the Red Zone due to play-calling? I didn’t think so. And don’t think this is a one-time thing either. Pittsburgh’s Offense has never averaged more than 23.9 points per game in any season since 2008.

plenewken
01-12-2012, 05:45 AM
I think looking at the personnel puts this into perspective. This is a piece from an article I found and this guy nails it.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/11/lebeau-and-arians-returning-my-misgivings/

This one says it all.

Offensive ranking

2011 Points - #21 - Yards - #17
2010 Points - #12 - Yards - #14
2009 Points - #12 - Yards - #7
2008 Points - #20 - Yards - #22
2007 Points - #9 - Yards - #17

With such mediocre results, both in terms of pts scored and yards gained, imagine in what position Arians puts our defense in pretty much each and every game.
I've said it before, and I'll repeat it here, I've never seen our D on the field more than since Arians is the OC. Is Tomlin looking at stats or what?

EbonySteel86
01-12-2012, 09:24 AM
This one says it all.

Offensive ranking

2011 Points - #21 - Yards - #17
2010 Points - #12 - Yards - #14
2009 Points - #12 - Yards - #7
2008 Points - #20 - Yards - #22
2007 Points - #9 - Yards - #17

With such mediocre results, both in terms of pts scored and yards gained, imagine in what position Arians puts our defense in pretty much each and every game.
I've said it before, and I'll repeat it here, I've never seen our D on the field more than since Arians is the OC. Is Tomlin looking at stats or what?

And the scary thing is, our offense wouldn't even be this good if it wasn't for Ben and his ability to break down plays.

Jeeptj12
01-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Does this team have to shed Tomlin and Big Ben to finally see Arians out of the door? I've always said when it comes down to it, Tomlin doesn't have the balls to make big administrative decisions. He is passive.

plenewken
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
And the scary thing is, our offense wouldn't even be this good if it wasn't for Ben and his ability to break down plays.

True and there's one more thing to consider. The total number of pts includes points scored by the D. Take them out and you'll see how unproductive the offense has been since BA is here.

lardlad
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM

I wonder sometimes if this isn't Ben insisting every pass play be over 20 yards or take the sack. The NE game is evidence BA can scheme and I've seem that kind of approach before (not often). Though you could still argue this is BA fault because he is the OC. He just needs to grow a pair and tell Ben to quit flying by the seat of his pants on every firkin play.

I swear you would see Ben celebrating a 50 yard pass without going into the end zone, but if Mendy or Redman take it in, you'll get a fist pump or maybe both hands going up. He is a long ball junkie and sometimes needs to be told what plays to run. Doesn't it almost ALWAYS look like the play they just ran was ad lib? I mean it hardly ever looks like it was designed to work that way. And don't say thats how Ben is, that is his strengths, because the NE game was his best this year and it looked deliberate.

Don't get me wrong I have no love for BA, but I sometimes think there is a lot of blame to go to our QB than we realize. I think I remember Ben having a discussion with Wiz saying something along the lines of "I'm not comfortable with this play" Wiz said "I don't care." Things are very different now, but I think that is a pretty good peek at what goes on now.

Anyway, if BA goes, you'll at least see a good bit more of the same.

Tomlin needs to grow a pair too. Next year is alllll on him if they go 8-8.

plenewken
01-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Doesn't it almost ALWAYS look like the play they just ran was ad lib? I mean it hardly ever looks like it was designed to work that way.

Very true. I know there's no points for style but Gosh, watching our offense play is not particularly pleasant. It rarely looks fluid, mechanical and easy. A high percentage of successful plays could have gone the other way as easily.

LVSteelersfan
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
This is the year the Steelers had to win number 7 because this team is about to lose a bunch of the core players they have had for years. Simple economics dictates it. Hopefully the new, young bloods who got a lot of playing time this year will continue to improve so the loss of Potsie, Foote, Hoke, possibly Hampton, etc. are not devastating. I am usually very optimistic about upcoming seasons but I am having a hard time maintaining that optimism with Arians still in the fold. I can't stand his red zone calls. I think everyone on this message board can predict exactly which list of 4 or 5 plays will be called in the red zone. Nothing new. Nothing tricky. Empty backfield sets that telegraph a pass before the play even gets started. It is all crap. I think we need Martz in here. That would ramp things up a bit with a little bit of trickery involved. Arians does not have it in him. Martz had a bad year with the Bears because he didn't have the personnel needed to pull it off. The Steelers have the perfect group for Martz to work his magic. Or almost ANYONE but Arians if you don't think Martz is a good idea.

Rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
This is the year the Steelers had to win number 7 because this team is about to lose a bunch of the core players they have had for years. Simple economics dictates it. Hopefully the new, young bloods who got a lot of playing time this year will continue to improve so the loss of Potsie, Foote, Hoke, possibly Hampton, etc. are not devastating. I am usually very optimistic about upcoming seasons but I am having a hard time maintaining that optimism with Arians still in the fold. I can't stand his red zone calls. I think everyone on this message board can predict exactly which list of 4 or 5 plays will be called in the red zone. Nothing new. Nothing tricky. Empty backfield sets that telegraph a pass before the play even gets started. It is all crap. I think we need Martz in here. That would ramp things up a bit with a little bit of trickery involved. Arians does not have it in him. Martz had a bad year with the Bears because he didn't have the personnel needed to pull it off. The Steelers have the perfect group for Martz to work his magic. Or almost ANYONE but Arians if you don't think Martz is a good idea.

I'm glad you included that last line, because I don't think Martz is a good idea at all. He's one the few guys I wouldn't trade Arians for. But, beyond that, I agree, almost anybody would be better. Somebody suggested digging up Joe Walton from retirement. I about ready to sign up for that program. I'm that sick of Bruce's crap. Desperation has set in. Anybody have a phone number for Mr. Magoo?

Rockon

LVSteelersfan
01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm glad you included that last line, because I don't think Martz is a good idea at all. He's one the few guys I wouldn't trade Arians for. But, beyond that, I agree, almost anybody would be better. Somebody suggested digging up Joe Walton from retirement. I about ready to sign up for that program. I'm that sick of Bruce's crap. Desperation has set in. Anybody have a phone number for Mr. Magoo?

Rockon

I was going to EXTREMES to show what I think of Arians. I had Mr. Magoo's number but I lost it. :rofl:

3rdandlong
01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Get rid of Tomlin. He's just been riding off the extraordinarily draft success of Kevin Colbert and the front office. We've won in spite of him. His clock management, game time decisions, players to start, game plans suck. I'd much rather have Cowher.

Sixburgher
01-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Get rid of Tomlin. He's just been riding off the extraordinarily draft success of Kevin Colbert and the front office. We've won in spite of him. His clock management, game time decisions, players to start, game plans suck. I'd much rather have Cowher.

Yes, because losing conference championships at home, often to decidedly inferior teams (1994 Chargers, 2001 Patriots), was just so much fun.

Rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I was going to EXTREMES to show what I think of Arians. I had Mr. Magoo's number but I lost it. :rofl:

Ahhhhh, the ol' hy-per-bowl trick. I know that one. Good job grasshoppah!! Your kung-fu is pretty slick! :hatsoff:

:drink: (I want a set of those auto-refill mugs. And do these two emoticons ever get drunk?)

Rockon

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Yes, because losing conference championships at home, often to decidedly inferior teams (1994 Chargers, 2001 Patriots), was just so much fun.

:thumbsup::chuckle:

60_MINUTES
01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
:thumbsup::chuckle:

Yeah I will give you the Chargers game Cowher blew that.. however the 2001 game we beat them all over the field and pure luck cost us the game... A punt return and a block field goal att returned for a TD by them.. the stats and game was ours if you take that away... also look what Cowher did with the one of the worst starting QB in the histroy of the league...Kordell... If Cowher had a Ben back then he would have won 5 superbowls instead of one... bottom line is simple... Cowhers place in history and 15 years of winning teams is in stone... Tomlin may be that good one day... but we wont know how good he really is until about 5 years from now... if he is still winning 5 years from now then you might have something