PDA

View Full Version : What I Would Do This Off-Season

ShutDown24
01-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Well, I'm sitting here bored on the graveyard shift. So I figured I would go ahead and pass some time by coming up with an extensive plan of what I would do this off-season if I was solely charged with all football operations for the Steelers. While this is largely for my enjoyment, I hope it is a fun read.

(All decisions are based off of only a basic knowledge of the salary cap).

Managing the Current Roster:

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger - Retain

Byron Leftwich - Retain; he is injury prone but a great backup.

Charlie Batch - Gone; if he wants to stay on board in some sort of coaching capactiy, great.

Dennis Dixon - Gone; he hasn't shown enough to deserve a roster spot this late in his career.

Running Backs

Rashard Mendenhall - Retain

Isaac Redman - Retain

Mewelde Moore - Gone; Moore is a great competitor, but unfortunately I can't see room for him on this roster.

Johnathan Dwyer - Retain

John Clay - Gone; hopefully place onto the practice squad.

Chad Spann - Gone; hopefully place back onto the practice squad.

Baron Batch - Retain

Wide Receivers

Mike Wallace - Retain

Antonio Brown - Retain

Emmanuel Sanders - Retain

Jerricho Cotchery - Retain

Hines Ward - Gone; unless Wallace or Cotchery leave via free agency, I don't see a place for Ward on this team.

Arnaz Battle - Gone; was a great special teams addition but I think adding a younger receiver to the roster is more beneficial at this point.

Tight Ends

Heath Miller - Retain

Waslye Saunders - Retain

David Johnson - Retain

Offensive Linemen

Max Starks - Gone; let him walk. If no one wants to sign him (as was the case the last two times he was available) bring him back in for a minimum salary again.

Johnathan Scott - Retain

Marcus Gilbert - Retain

Willie Colon - Retain

Trai Essex - Retain

Ramon Foster - Retain

Chris Kemoeatu - Gone; great at pulling as a guard but poor at almost everything else.

Maurkice Pouncey - Retain

Doug Legursky - Retain

Defensive Linemen

Aaron Smith - Gone; was a great Steeler but it is time.

Brett Keisel - Retain

Cameron Heyward - Retain

Evander Hood - Retain

Casey Hampton - Retain

Chris Hoke - Gone; another great member of the team for years. But he is too injury plagued at this age.

Steve McClendon - Retain

Linebackers

James Harrison - Retain

LaMarr Woodley - Retain

Jason Worilds - Retain

Chris Carter - Retain

James Farrior - Gone; try to rework his contract if he is willing. But if a suitable replacement is available that route should be explored.

Larry Foote - Retain; somewhat of a younger Farrior. Could probably start for a year or two.

Lawrence Timmons - Retain

Stevenson Sylvester - Retain

Defensive Backs

Ike Taylor - Retain

William Gay - Retain

Keenan Lewis - Retain

Curtis Brown - Retain

Cortez Allen - Retain

Bryant McFadden - Gone; has never fullfilled the potential he showed early in his career.

Anthony Madison - Retain

Troy Polamalu - Retain

Ryan Clark - Retain

Ryan Mundy - Retain

Will Allen - Gone; was another good addition a few years ago who contributed a lot on special teams. But the team has too many young and promising defensive backs to warrant keeping him around.

Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith - Retain

Special Teams

Shaun Suisham - Retain; look to add a stronger leg for camp competition.

Daniel Sepulveda - Retain

Greg Warren - Retain

The Draft:

In the draft, my team needs would be as follows. Ideally, I would draft players in this order during rounds 1 - 4.

- Nose Tackle

- Guard/Center

- Inside Linebacker

- Cornerback

Within rounds 5 - 7 I would attempt to find promising players in these areas.

- Quarterback

- Wide Receiver

- Tackle

Free Agency:
I would, as is typical in Pittsburgh, avoid all big ticket free agents. If doing anything in free agency, I may explore values at Linebacker and Guard.

Pre-Camp Depth Chart:
(Ideally)

Quarterback

- Ben Roethlisberger

- Byron Leftwich

- Rookie

Running Back

- Rashard Mendenhall

- Isaac Redman

- Johnathan Dwyer

- Baron Batch (3DRB)

Wide Receiver

- Antonio Brown

- Mike Wallace

- Jerricho Cotchery

- Emmanuel Sanders

- Rookie

Tight Ends

- Heath Miller

- Weslye Saunders

- David Johnson (FB)

Left Tackle

- Marcus Gilbert

- Johnathan Scott

Left Guard

- Trai Essex

- Doug Legursky

Center

- Maurkice Pouncey

- Doug Legursky

Right Guard

- Ramon Foster

- Rookie

Right Tackle

- Willie Colon

- Rookie

Defensive End

- Brett Keisel

- Evander Hood

- Cameron Heyward

- Steve McClendon

Nose Tackle

- Casey Hampton

- Steve McClendon

- Rookie

Outside Linebacker

- James Harrison

- LaMarr Woodley

- Jason Worilds

- Chris Carter

Inside Linebacker

- Lawrence Timmons

- Larry Foote

- Stevenson Sylvester

- Rookie

Strong Safety

- Troy Polamalu

- Ryan mundy

Free Safety

- Ryan Clark

- Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith

Cornerback

- Ike Taylor

- William Gay

- Keenan Lewis

- Curtis Brown

- Cortez Allen

- Anthony Madison

- Rookie

pete74
01-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Going into camp it will be Redman not Mendehall as the #1 back. I expect Mendenhall to miss the first 5year weeks of the regular season and that will spell his demise. I always said Redman was the better back and the world will see it. Mendenhall will be cut lose unless he is willing to sign for a big discount

DanRooney
01-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Going NT in the first round would be absolutely stupid. Unless a prospect like Suh falls to us, I don't see us drafting another first round defensive lineman in the next 4-5 years. it would be horrific to see us spending 3 out of 4 first rounders on one part of the defense.

ShutDown24
01-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Going into camp it will be Redman not Mendehall as the #1 back. I expect Mendenhall to miss the first 5 year weeks of the regular season and that will spell his demise. I always said Redman was the better back and the world will see it. Mendenhall will be cut lose unless he is willing to sign for a big discount

That's an interesting thought. Although I think it is more wishful thinking than anything else. Redman is a fine back, but he is nowhere near heads and shoulders above Mendenhall as people around here like to pretend.

Going NT in the first round would be absolutely stupid. Unless a prospect like Suh falls to us, I don't see us drafting another first round defensive lineman in the next 4-5 years. it would be horrific to see us spending 3 out of 4 first rounders on one part of the defense.

How so?

steelers33
01-12-2012, 04:19 AM

I don't agree. Lebeau has always said that the reason for his success is the defensive line. Our defense line was the oldest group of our defense so they are addressing that. Plus I feel fine with our secondary and our linebackers with the talent we have there, but Hampton tore his acl and is getting old and Hoke is gone, so there is only 1 nose tackle currently, which is Steve McLendon. I don't know if Steve can get the job done however, he llooked decent but he was an undrafted free agent so who knows if he has the talent to play that position. Nose tackle is VERY VERY important in a 3-4, so thus I think we should address it with our 1st or 2nd pick this upcoming draft.

ShutDown24
01-12-2012, 04:32 AM
I don't agree. Lebeau has always said that the reason for his success is the defensive line. Our defense line was the oldest group of our defense so they are addressing that. Plus I feel fine with our secondary and our linebackers with the talent we have there, but Hampton tore his acl and is getting old and Hoke is gone, so there is only 1 nose tackle currently, which is Steve McLendon. I don't know if Steve can get the job done however, he llooked decent but he was an undrafted free agent so who knows if he has the talent to play that position. Nose tackle is VERY VERY important in a 3-4, so thus I think we should address it with our 1st or 2nd pick this upcoming draft.

Spot on. McClendon looks like a decent option, but I don't want to put my hopes and dreams in him only to find out he can't hold up for an entire season. Hampton is still great at playing the run, but he is really a one down player at this point in his career. If we drafted a stud Nose in the first couple of rounds and rotated between the three players, we would have a great group of fresh guys anchoring the defense.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Well Shutdown, if your keeping the Oline pretty much in tact aside from Kemo, you better draft a QB much earlier as Ben will be killed eventually or just maimed enough to not be able to walk further.

Also, your strategy leaves us about 15milion over the cap. With Wallace not signed yet.

Redmans a Free Agent and could now coat us big to retain him. I'm assuming he is unrestricted? I'll take him over a damaged Mendy all day long and avoid the risk in signing Mendy to a lenghty deal with a sizable bonus. Reman, runs Steeler style of football, Mendy is more fit for Glee.

pittpete
01-12-2012, 11:34 AM
You would retain 2 350+ pound players who are coming off ACL surgery?
Id have to disagree and say Hampton and Starks are done.
Sepulvada, why?
D.Johnson-How about we get a real FB

BTW- Isaac Redman is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent(An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.)

Fire Arians
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
^^ ROFL that sig pic is hillarious

pete74
01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
That's an interesting thought. Although I think it is more wishful thinking than anything else. Redman is a fine back, but he is nowhere near heads and shoulders above Mendenhall as people around here like to pretend.

How so?

why because Mendenhall was a 1st round pick? look what Redman has done. when he gets a few carries he gets alot more yards then mendenhall. do you really think mendenhall would of had over 100 yards on denvers tough run defense like redman did with the limited carries? hell no, he hasnt dont it all year against a good defense.

pete74
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM

i wouldnt be surprised. in fact i gurentee we grab NT in one of the 1st 2 rounds. its Hampton's last year and its essential we get someone good. games are won in the trenches and without a pro bowl caliber NT the 3-4 defense dosnt work

Fire Arians
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
i wouldnt be surprised. in fact i gurentee we grab NT in one of the 1st 2 rounds. its Hampton's last year and its essential we get someone good. games are won in the trenches and without a pro bowl caliber NT the 3-4 defense dosnt work

since the hampton injury, I'm also starting to think NT is a critical need. I previously thought it was ILB, but that can possibly be safe for another year if we hang onto foote (who's better than farrior at this point in their careers).

we still need an inside backer though this year or next year. if we can pick up a potential starter in rd 1-3 then awesome.

for guard we can possibly look into free agency for that if we can free enough cap space.

Fire Arians
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
why because Mendenhall was a 1st round pick? look what Redman has done. when he gets a few carries he gets alot more yards then mendenhall. do you really think mendenhall would of had over 100 yards on denvers tough run defense like redman did with the limited carries? hell no, he hasnt dont it all year against a good defense.

talent wise, mendenhall blows redman out of the water. physically, he's as complete a back as you can get. he's big, powerful, and has breakaway speed. I just believe the current offensive scheme doesn't use mendenhall correctly. mendenhall used to be a back in a spread offense, which worked into his strength, since it got him into the open field where he's best. he's not the greatest in between tackles runner, but can still do it if the blocking is there.

one of the things about this offense is we run a lot from double TE and bunch formations, which equals a lot of defenders already at the point of attack. I'm wondering why we don't run more from a spread formation and allow mendenhall to be where he's most effective. I'm surprised arians hasn't employed this because he likes to go vertical a lot. the bunch formation is a shitty formation for the running game unless you have a cloning machine you can use on hines ward. our receivers are crappy blockers outside of ward and sanders, who hardly seen the field this year.

the sad thing is every time we go to the spread formation it's empty backfield. i wish when they did that, they'd leave mendenhall back there to give the defense something to worry about, other than showing your hand that it's 100% going to be pass.

stb_steeler
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
since the hampton injury, I'm also starting to think NT is a critical need. I previously thought it was ILB, but that can possibly be safe for another year if we hang onto foote (who's better than farrior at this point in their careers).

we still need an inside backer though this year or next year. if we can pick up a potential starter in rd 1-3 then awesome.

for guard we can possibly look into free agency for that if we can free enough cap space.

I agree.....Having Big snack out with an ACL injury (not that he cant recover from it) and not to mention he's not in every down anymore might be a reason hes let go.

pete74
01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Steelers New #1 Need

The Steeles new number 1 team need heading into the off season just became Nose Tackle. The Steelers lost Casey Hampton to an ACL tear in the game against Denver. Now the report is that Chris Hoke is going to retire due to his injury. Steve McLendon has been a good spot player but he is not the answer.

Hoke retiring was expected. He had the neck injury and had not returned all season. He is over 10 years in the league and is ready to retire. Hoke was a great back up for the Steelers and will be missed.

What was not expected was the loss of Casey Hampton. If it is an ACL tear, which they do not report ACL unless it is torn so it most likely is, then Hampton is on his way to retirement as well. Casey will be 35 before the start of next season. He suffered an injury that takes 9-12 months to heal on someone who is not putting 350 lbs of pressure on a knee every time he steps. We all have seen it takes 2 full years to get back to full strength on an ACL. Casey does not have that much time left.

This would be a huge loss for the Steelers. It would completely change the priorities for the off season. It is one thing to be down your back up in Chris Hoke but to have to replace him and one of the best nose tackles to ever play the game at the same time is devastating. The Steelers have no quality starter on the roster. They will have to look hard in Free Agency and the draft to find not just someone to groom but an immediate replacement.

ShutDown24
01-13-2012, 01:04 AM
You would retain 2 350+ pound players who are coming off ACL surgery?
Id have to disagree and say Hampton and Starks are done.
Sepulvada, why?
D.Johnson-How about we get a real FB

1. I said release Starks unless he wants to play for peanuts. Even if we draft a left tackle in the first round like everyone wants to, Starks will be a better player initially. No reason not to bring him back if he comes so cheap.

2. What are you going to do at Nose if you release Hampton?

3. Why not? Sepulveda has one of the better legs in the league when he isn't injured. If he gets beat out in camp by someone you bring in, then cut him. But if healthy, there aren't many punters who will beat him out in camp.

4. Do you really think the team is going to sign a fullback? And David Johnson, who everyone likes to complain about, is actually a decent lead blocker. He's no play maker, but the kind of fullback that most Pittsburgh fans want to bring in wouldn't be either.

Funny signature though, haha.

Rashard Mendenhall averaged 4.1 yards per carry this season. Isaac Redman averaged 4.4. Your change of pace back should be well ahead of your starting tailback in yards per carry. In games started, Redman's average drops significantly. He's fine as a change of pace back. Hell, split it 50/50 with Mendenhall if you want - they are basically the same guy in this offensive system. I don't mind people pointing out their personal preference to Redman's power over Mendenhall's quick feet, but don't try and pretend Redman is some feature back. He is largely a one trick pony. And in an offense with too many one trick ponies, I'd rather see Mendenhall get more work.

PhantomJB93
01-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Since were in the middle of another Mendy-Redman debate, I'll just add this: The Mendenhall we saw in 2009 and 2010 was far superior to anything we've seen from Redman to date. However, the 2011 Redman was far better than the 2011 Mendenhall, and of course that's our most recent sample of data to base the debate on. IDK what happened but Mendy hasn't been the same since last regular season, something snapped in his head and he lost his running instincts.

I don't think Redman will have as strong a grasp on the starting RB position as most people think once Mendenhall returns from his injury. I think he'd have to absolutely EXPLODE to keep Mendenhall in a diminished #2 role once he's healthy, which I don't see happening. Of course, if Mendenhall comes back and continues to suck like he did in early 2011, or worse, Redman will probably have the starting gig by season's end.

DanRooney
01-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Rashard Mendenhall averaged 4.1 yards per carry this season. Isaac Redman averaged 4.4. Your change of pace back should be well ahead of your starting tailback in yards per carry. In games started, Redman's average drops significantly. He's fine as a change of pace back. Hell, split it 50/50 with Mendenhall if you want - they are basically the same guy in this offensive system. I don't mind people pointing out their personal preference to Redman's power over Mendenhall's quick feet, but don't try and pretend Redman is some feature back. He is largely a one trick pony. And in an offense with too many one trick ponies, I'd rather see Mendenhall get more work.

Did you make that up? He started on Sunday and had over 7 YPC.

Mendenhall went from a good back to a complete bum this season. He's not running the same. More timid and hesitant after the ball gets in his hand. For a guy with much better speed than Redman, he didn't have many long runs this season. He only had two 100 yard games starting 15 times this year. Redman had one in one of his 2 starts.

DanRooney
01-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Steelers New #1 Need

The Steeles new number 1 team need heading into the off season just became Nose Tackle. The Steelers lost Casey Hampton to an ACL tear in the game against Denver. Now the report is that Chris Hoke is going to retire due to his injury. Steve McLendon has been a good spot player but he is not the answer.

Hoke retiring was expected. He had the neck injury and had not returned all season. He is over 10 years in the league and is ready to retire. Hoke was a great back up for the Steelers and will be missed.

What was not expected was the loss of Casey Hampton. If it is an ACL tear, which they do not report ACL unless it is torn so it most likely is, then Hampton is on his way to retirement as well. Casey will be 35 before the start of next season. He suffered an injury that takes 9-12 months to heal on someone who is not putting 350 lbs of pressure on a knee every time he steps. We all have seen it takes 2 full years to get back to full strength on an ACL. Casey does not have that much time left.

This would be a huge loss for the Steelers. It would completely change the priorities for the off season. It is one thing to be down your back up in Chris Hoke but to have to replace him and one of the best nose tackles to ever play the game at the same time is devastating. The Steelers have no quality starter on the roster. They will have to look hard in Free Agency and the draft to find not just someone to groom but an immediate replacement.

Seems to me we're getting more susceptible to TEs and cutback guys like Ray Rice and Arian Foster. A stud ILB like Hightower or Burfict is just what we need in the 1st round.

Poe will be there in the 2nd round.

If we don't go ILB, they have to go guard. Peter Konz next to Pouncey would be incredible.

QCbeauBlak
01-13-2012, 09:02 AM
I don't see how Oline is not the biggest concern. Seriously, we need a complete make-over up front. Guys like Essex, Legursky, Scott, Kemo, Foster.... that's not going to cut it and Ben will not make it through a season with that trash up front. Look at other teams. Outside of maybe the Bears or Tampa Bay, we have to have one of the worst, unskilled, offensive lines in the NFL. No continuity. Everyone is always hurt. No one up front even looks to be in shape... ever... I wouldn't mind a slightly down year on Defense being ranked somewhere are 5-10, if it meant addressing the Line because if we do not do that, we will not score points as was seen the last couple of seasons.

pete74
01-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't see how Oline is not the biggest concern. Seriously, we need a complete make-over up front. Guys like Essex, Legursky, Scott, Kemo, Foster.... that's not going to cut it and Ben will not make it through a season with that trash up front. Look at other teams. Outside of maybe the Bears or Tampa Bay, we have to have one of the worst, unskilled, offensive lines in the NFL. No continuity. Everyone is always hurt. No one up front even looks to be in shape... ever... I wouldn't mind a slightly down year on Defense being ranked somewhere are 5-10, if it meant addressing the Line because if we do not do that, we will not score points as was seen the last couple of seasons.

I agree and wish we had 2 first round picks to address this issue. Ben has only played all 16 games once ever and that's because of our line. Every starter aside from Pouncey wouldn't even make it as a backup. I know alot of people had hopes of Gilbert being our future LT but he didn't show anything his first season. For some reason the Steeler don't seem to do well drafting offensive lineman.

theplatypus
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree and wish we had 2 first round picks to address this issue. Ben has only played all 16 games once ever and that's because of our line. Every starter aside from Pouncey wouldn't even make it as a backup. I know alot of people had hopes of Gilbert being our future LT but he didn't show anything his first season. For some reason the Steeler don't seem to do well drafting offensive lineman.

Maybe putting 1st round tender on Wallace and losing him could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not exactly sure how they work, but if that gave us two legit 1st round picks then it could end up being a classic case of addition by subtraction. Two solid OL, 1 OL and 1 stud LB, or 1 OL and 1 shutdown CB. I wouldn't complain for a second with an above average OL and a receiving corp of Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. Not too mention the added benefit of not havign to constantly hold Miller back in order to help the OL block.

tanda10506
01-13-2012, 10:18 PM
What will happen is far off of what I would do because Arians would be gone right away, the very first move of the off season. As for the draft and retaining players, I think McClendon will do fine at NT and we don't need to draft high for one. I would sign Hoke for the vet minimum to back up McClendon in case he gets hurt. McClendon, Hood, and Keisel on the line sounds good to me, with Heyward and Hoke behind them. Smith will be gone. We have 2 new corners from last years draft so we don't need to draft a CB, but cut McFadden and probably Allen. Farrior can go at LB, Foote outplayed him when he started and did great against New England. Foote could get the vet minimum and stay while getting Sylvester some reps. I would draft a MLB. As for the offensive line, we have 2 new guys from the last two drafts, and IMO Starks looks good at LT, I wouldn't draft high but I would get a free agent NFL starting quality guard ASAP, and probably still pick up a low round pick. The decision that will be made on Wallace definitely would affect my draft. I don't think our offense will be as good without Wallace even though we would still have 4 good receivers. If Wallace doesn't want a huge contract I would keep him, if he wants top 5 receiver money then he can leave, much like he did the last 6 games of the season. If he leaves I would be looking at a big receiver with some speed in the first round or at least 2nd. I know we have 4 good receivers, and Brown looks real promising, but we wouldn't have that speed or heigth that draws the defenses attention. If Wallace stays I'd probably be looking MLB 1st round. Hines would need to sign for vet minimum as would Starks, Hoke, and Foote. IMO Mendy can go, he has talent but it doesn't fit our team, Redman has shown he can run the ball, Baron Batch will be on the roster, and I'm hoping John Clay can turn into one of those heavy running backs, with all that we don't need to pay Mendy big even though with most teams he would be deserving of it. I would keep Leftwich and Batch and cut Dixon. I would cut Kemo right away along with Jonathan Scott. As I said, I think instead of drafting high on the Oline, which is our biggest priority, let's get some FA's that can play now. I would keep Legursky and Essex if they wanted to stay for cheap, they are good backups. With Starks and Gilbert at tackle and Pouncey at center we just need to get some starting guards. We need to win a SB next year while the majority of this corp group is still around, FA guards will give us the best shot at that.

My Top 5

1. WR if Wallace leaves, if Wallace stays ILB.

2. If a ILB is drafted first but a receiver is still needed then a WR would be #2. If not then go ahead and use a 2nd on an O lineman, but make sure you get one in FA either way.

3. If there is a player at any position at this time that stands out other than a QB, RB, or TE then get them. At this point the best player in the market is who you should get IMO. A safety that stands out would be great as would a CB although we are probably good at CB, another DE or NT that stands out would be good as would any O lineman. As long as we get a MLB at 1 or 2 then there's no need to look for one this high. Their our priorities obviously but if there is still a great player then he needs to get scooped up.

4. Same as 3

5. Same as 3

Bottom Picks:

If a QB looks good or any WR still looks good at these levels then pick them up. I honestly feel like we will be really strong at most positions by this point so use the rest of the lower drafts to stiffen up the O line and D line, you never know, sometimes those bottom pick lineman on either side turn out to be great.

It's too early though, I 'll probably change my mind tomorrow lol, after all, even if Wallace leaves we still have good WR's and we've never had the tall fast receiving type anyway, I just am think at the moment that if Wallace goes he needs to be replaced with an attention grabbing receiver. Again, I think our most important spot to address in the off season is the O line, I just would rather it get took care of in FA and some bottom picks to stiffen them up. I don't think there are a lot of talent position players that stand out this year like the last few years, so good O lineman will probably go high anyway.

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
What will happen is far off of what I would do because Arians would be gone right away, the very first move of the off season. As for the draft and retaining players, I think McClendon will do fine at NT and we don't need to draft high for one. I would sign Hoke for the vet minimum to back up McClendon in case he gets hurt. McClendon, Hood, and Keisel on the line sounds good to me, with Heyward and Hoke behind them. Smith will be gone. We have 2 new corners from last years draft so we don't need to draft a CB, but cut McFadden and probably Allen. Farrior can go at LB, Foote outplayed him when he started and did great against New England. Foote could get the vet minimum and stay while getting Sylvester some reps. I would draft a MLB. As for the offensive line, we have 2 new guys from the last two drafts, and IMO Starks looks good at LT, I wouldn't draft high but I would get a free agent NFL starting quality guard ASAP, and probably still pick up a low round pick. The decision that will be made on Wallace definitely would affect my draft. I don't think our offense will be as good without Wallace even though we would still have 4 good receivers. If Wallace doesn't want a huge contract I would keep him, if he wants top 5 receiver money then he can leave, much like he did the last 6 games of the season. If he leaves I would be looking at a big receiver with some speed in the first round or at least 2nd. I know we have 4 good receivers, and Brown looks real promising, but we wouldn't have that speed or heigth that draws the defenses attention. If Wallace stays I'd probably be looking MLB 1st round. Hines would need to sign for vet minimum as would Starks, Hoke, and Foote. IMO Mendy can go, he has talent but it doesn't fit our team, Redman has shown he can run the ball, Baron Batch will be on the roster, and I'm hoping John Clay can turn into one of those heavy running backs, with all that we don't need to pay Mendy big even though with most teams he would be deserving of it. I would keep Leftwich and Batch and cut Dixon. I would cut Kemo right away along with Jonathan Scott. As I said, I think instead of drafting high on the Oline, which is our biggest priority, let's get some FA's that can play now. I would keep Legursky and Essex if they wanted to stay for cheap, they are good backups. With Starks and Gilbert at tackle and Pouncey at center we just need to get some starting guards. We need to win a SB next year while the majority of this corp group is still around, FA guards will give us the best shot at that.

My Top 5

1. WR if Wallace leaves, if Wallace stays ILB.

2. If a ILB is drafted first but a receiver is still needed then a WR would be #2. If not then go ahead and use a 2nd on an O lineman, but make sure you get one in FA either way.

3. If there is a player at any position at this time other than a QB, RB, or TE then get them. At this point the best player in the market is who you should get IMO. A safety that stands out would be great as would a CB although we are probably good at CB, another DE or NT that stands out would be good as would any O lineman. As long as we get a MLB at 1 or 2 then there's no need to look for one this high.

4. Same as 3

5. Same as 3

Bottom Picks:

If a QB looks good or any WR still looks good at these levels then pick them up. I honestly feel like we will be really strong at most positions by this point so use the rest of the lower drafts to stiffen up the O line and D line, you never know, sometimes those bottom pick lineman on either side turn out to be great.

It's too early though, I 'll probably change my mind tomorrow lol, after all, even if Wallace leaves we still have good WR's and we've never had the tall fast receiving type anyway, I just am think at the moment that if Wallace goes he needs to be replaced with an attention grabbing receiver.

You and I disagree pretty bad.. read my Draft thing I just posted I didnt see this one here before I posted it but anyway... Cutting Allen? are you talking about Cortez Allen?? If so I actually think he will be one of the better CB in the league... Also I think OL is the number one need.. we cannot go into next season with Kemo or Foster a guard.. Maybe Foster can do okay but we need to address the LIne... Did you happen to look at what we finished with this year... its happens to us every year... Scott, kemo and Doug... GoodLord we have got to fix that.. As far as NT.. everyone whos anyone says most important part is NT so we to to draft the next hampton... and last I do agree with you we got to have ILB in the draft round 2 sounds good to me we already cut foote for being average one time... the guy is nothing more then a good back up

tanda10506
01-14-2012, 12:04 AM
You and I disagree pretty bad.. read my Draft thing I just posted I didnt see this one here before I posted it but anyway... Cutting Allen? are you talking about Cortez Allen?? If so I actually think he will be one of the better CB in the league... Also I think OL is the number one need.. we cannot go into next season with Kemo or Foster a guard.. Maybe Foster can do okay but we need to address the LIne... Did you happen to look at what we finished with this year... its happens to us every year... Scott, kemo and Doug... GoodLord we have got to fix that.. As far as NT.. everyone whos anyone says most important part is NT so we to to draft the next hampton... and last I do agree with you we got to have ILB in the draft round 2 sounds good to me we already cut foote for being average one time... the guy is nothing more then a good back up

We dont disagree really. I do think O line is the biggest priority, just not in the draft. We need a couple of guards that can play now, FA's. I agree with you on Cortez Allen, I met Will Allen. I don't see why the lack of confidence in McClendon.

pitt0wns
01-14-2012, 02:10 AM
I would get a new coaching staff. There is no reason we should've lost that game with the talent we have.

Whoever called our safetys to play the line of scrimmage on the 1st play in OT is a ****ing moron!

You get beat 3-4 times in a row on deep passes throughout the game and wtf do you do in OT? Same shit happened the last time we played the Ravens when Evans got the TD with no time on the clock.

People can blame Ike Taylor all they want but where the **** was our safetys?

#1 Pass D showed against TeBlow!

errrrrrrr!

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Maybe putting 1st round tender on Wallace and losing him could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not exactly sure how they work, but if that gave us two legit 1st round picks then it could end up being a classic case of addition by subtraction. Two solid OL, 1 OL and 1 stud LB, or 1 OL and 1 shutdown CB. I wouldn't complain for a second with an above average OL and a receiving corp of Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. Not too mention the added benefit of not havign to constantly hold Miller back in order to help the OL block.
its pretty simple. the team selects one of the 4 designated tender amounts ( example - 2.5 mill , 2 mill , 1.5 mill , 1 mill ). any other team can make a contract offer to the player. the players original team has 7 days to match the offer. if they chose not to match the offer they take the offering teams draft picks.
high tender - A -1st & 3rd rd
B - 1st rd
C - 2nd RD
low tender - D - whatever round the player was originally drafted.

pete74
01-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Hoke is retiring so he wont be backing anyone up. as for McClendon, he is an undersized unathletic NT at 280lbs and can not be our starter. he does not command double team the way Hampton does and never seems to get a push. NT is a huge need for us and if we dont draft one in the 1st 2 rounds we will have to sign a free agent

tanda10506
01-14-2012, 04:12 PM
If Hoke retires then we do need to get another NT. I thought McClendon played well, but without out a vet to back him up it's kind of a necessity. It's hard to pick on who to draft where because you think about the way you should draft, then you remember Arians will be back and it changes things. There are a lot of positions we need to address this off season, and the draft IMO weighs heavily on weather Ward and/or Wallace are retained. If they go, or if just Wallace goes, we need another WR. ILB and O line are the biggest priorities but I think we should address the O line in FA, guys that can play now. We are good at center and tackle IMO, as long as we keep Starks, but we need guards. If we can get FA's at guard while keeping a couple back ups like Legursky and Foster or Essex, then we can focus our #1 on ILB and then stiffen up the line, O and D, with lower draft picks. It's going to be a fun off season, I am already excited about it, I just hope things are addressed properly.

BengalDestroyer
01-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Jon Scott better be gone, what a waste of space, Hampton probably done, ACL surgery, plus three hundred pounds, and over thirty...Sepulveda will not be with next year either, besides there's no drop off with Kapinos

Set-Man
01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
My opinion is that it is time for this team to move on. We have been saying that for years but still have tried. The players were tired at the end of the year.
I would go drastic (even though I know the management won't do it).
These players did a great job and will always be Steelers in my mind but they have to go.
I say all this without knowing the details of the cap, etc.

I would cut/release/trade the following:
Ward, A. Smith, C. Hampton, C. Hoke, J. Farrior, M. Starks (because of his injury), C. Batch, B. Leftwich (is injured all the time), b. mcfadden, m. moore (looking forward to seeing b. batch), possibly w. colon (injured all the time and not as good as everybody says he is), d. sepulveda, suisham (who makes me cringe on any fg).

I would also go after an athletic wide receiver type tight end that would really open up the passing game.

I am also sad to say that Troy's best days are behind him. He looked out of place a lot during the season. His 1 splash play usually always includes a few misses.
I believe that J. harrison also has had his best days behind him.

I am saying this after watching the 49ers defense look like the Steelers defense did 4-5 years ago.

Time to get young and athletic....

BKAnthem
01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

This......Mitchell is a Better Coach than Kugler..So he can develop a late round or free agent DL better than Kugler could on the OL