PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Have 11 Unrestricted Free Agents/7 Restricted FAs

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
This from the P-G this afternoon

Eleven Steelers will become unrestricted free agents and seven more will become restricted free agents if they do not sign contracts with the team before March.

The unrestricted free agents are: Charlie Batch, Jerricho Cotchery, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, William Gay, Chris Hoke, Byron Leftwich, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks.

The restricted free agents are: Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Keenan Lewis, Jamon Meredith, Ryan Mundy and Mike Wallace.

Those to whom the Steelers retain exclusive rights -- meaning they will not become free agents if a minimum contract is offered -- are: Jeremy Kapinos, Steve McLendon and Isaac Redman

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12012/1203137-100.stm

Lots of departures on this list:

Whodis
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
They can't bring Johnson back... If you watch the 1st interception in the 49er game, you can see he quit his route. Since then I noticed how slow and lazy he is.

With that said, as long as Arians is coming back they can do what they want on offense and focus on the "D"

MDSteel15
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
This from the P-G this afternoon

The unrestricted free agents are: Charlie Batch, Jerricho Cotchery, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, William Gay, Chris Hoke, Byron Leftwich, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks.

The restricted free agents are: Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Keenan Lewis, Jamon Meredith, Ryan Mundy and Mike Wallace.

Those to whom the Steelers retain exclusive rights -- meaning they will not become free agents if a minimum contract is offered -- are: Jeremy Kapinos, Steve McLendon and Isaac Redman

Lots of departures on this list:

All those highlighted.... GONE :thumbsup:
Plus we have several retirees in the mix.... Makes a lot of room for 1 or 2 O-linemen and our own FA's!!!

plenewken
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
All those highlighted.... GONE :thumbsup:
Plus we have several retirees in the mix.... Makes a lot of room for 1 or 2 O-linemen and our own FA's!!!

Yep but their signing bonuses are prorated for the duration of the contracts so they'll impact the salary cap even if the guys are gone.

tanda10506
01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
We need to keep Starks. He did a good job this year, especially against Baltimore, this O line was the worst ever in football till they got Starks. I would make a case for Batch too, our backup usually doesn't play much and there's not much better at backup QB cause the Packers backup will be a starter next year somewhere else. Wallace, Gay, Lewis, Redman, and Starks need to be kept in Pittsburgh IMO, but I'd like to see a few more stay too.

tunes4life
01-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Charlie Batch - Goodbye - Too old and fragile
Jerricho Cotchery - Resign
Dennis Dixon - Probably goodbye - too fragile to handle load in NFL although love the intangables
Trai Essex - I think will be resigned
William Gay - Will def be resigned / stepped it up this year
Chris Hoke - I think will get resigned. I think this has to do with draft
Byron Leftwich - Resigned / Tomlin has hard on for him for good reason he's dependable - I believe we'll pic up another QB in later rounds
Anthony Madison - Resigned
Mewelde Moore - Released
Daniel Sepulveda - Released - I was so excited about this guy but has had too many injuries
Max Starks - Sorry to say, but bye bye. He did a great job this year but I don't believe they will resign him after the injury
Ramon Foster - eh
David Johnson - Bye Bye
Doug Legursky - I think he will get resigned. He's cheap and flexible
Keenan Lewis - resigned - He's improving
Jamon Meredith - who?
Ryan Mundy - Our safeties are injury prone do to their tackling style. They need viable backups who know the scheme - He will get resigned
Mike Wallace - Hate to say it but probably released. Too many good receivers on this team to pay what he is gonna want. Plus I believe he is getting a little bit of an attitude.
Jeremy Kapinos - Who knows?
Steve McLendon - Probably released
Isaac Redman - Resigned (I hope) I love this guy

ricardisimo
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Hoke is done. His football career is over.

Starks is probably going to need a full year to get his knee into playing shape. We're not going to sign not to play.

Wallace is not coming back, and given how he seemed to have given up in the second half, I'm fine with it. Watching him always being the only Steeler running away from contact and away from the play was disturbing. Someone will give him bank. I hope he does well with them, just not against us. Sadly it might be the Browns, who need him more than anyone.

As far as the QBs, I think Dixon is gone, Leftwich is gone and Batch stays. We're drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round, and that's what we'll have.

I think Gay will stay, but he could potentially cash out and immediately wash out like McFadden did. He's a bit of a system guy, and ours is that system. If he stays he thrives. Hopefully he knows that.

Foster, Essex and Legursky will all come back. I just hope it's as competent, flexible backups rather than as starters.

Mewelde goes if Redman stays, and vice versa. Redman is going to want to be a starter, but that position belongs to Mendenhall for at least another year. I think Redman cashes out, and our backfield next year will consist of Mendy, Dwyer, Batch and Moore. That will suck, because as much as I love Mendenhall, he won't be anywhere close to 100% until 2013.

Cotchery, Lewis, Mundy and Kapinos will all be resigned, fairly quickly I believe.

DanRooney
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I can only hope that the UFA go away.

DanRooney
01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Minus Cotchery. I'm fine with him. And I thought Sepulveda was signed to more than a one year deal at the beginning of the season?

ricardisimo
01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Minus Cotchery. I'm fine with him. And I thought Sepulveda was signed to more than a one year deal at the beginning of the season?
Yeah, the Sepulveda thing is more iffy, but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five times...

Fire Arians
01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
it's gonna be an interesting offseason for sure.

PhantomJB93
01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Bring back Leftwich, Starks (if things look good for him health-wise a couple months from now), Gay, and Essex. Everyone else walks. Cotchery can come back if he comes cheap enough, which I think he probably will considering nobody offered him anything when the Jets cut him and he didn't exactly set the world on fire (although he did play well when he was given time)

From the restricted FA's, obviously we need to keep Wallace and Mundy, probably one of the guards (I think Foster is the better player but Legursky is an option at center so they might go that route) and Lewis too, Johnson and Sepulveda need to be cut.

All three exclusive rights guys should be offered minimum contracts, then obviously Redman will get a good contract if he performs well next season again.

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Wallace is the big uncertainty - his mediocrity since October lowers his value, but someone is always willing to overpay and I wonder how much defenses focusing on Wallace contributed to the success of Brown. If the future of this team will require more offense as the defense declines losing that deep threat is a gamble. If Wallace goes Cotchery presumably stays

steeltheone
01-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I think our history answers this question...We have never been a team to pay haevily for a wideout ( Hines excluded) That made it easier to trade Santonio, while letting go of Plex and Thigpen, Randall el

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Ed. B. of the P-G has these predictions

My ideas on what might happen to each:

UFA:

Charlie Batch -- With Byron Leftwich No. 2, he'll either be No. 3 at minimum wage or they'll find a younger No. 3.

Jerricho Cotchery -- Steelers want him, but no more than No. 4 so he will sign elsewhere.

Dennis Dixon -- He will leave

Trai Essex -- He will leave

William Gay -- He will leave

Chris Hoke -- He will retire

Byron Leftwich -- He will re-sign as No. 2.

Anthony Madison -- Ignore

Mewelde Moore -- Ignore

Daniel Sepulveda -- Let him go through free agency, maybe sign him in summer.

Max Starks -- ACL injury hurts his cause; may return.

RFA:

Ramon Foster -- Tender

David Johnson -- Tender

Doug Legursky -- Tender

Keenan Lewis -- Tender or sign to 3-year deal

Jamon Meredith -- Ignore

Ryan Mundy -- Tender

Mike Wallace -- Tender

Exclusive Rights:

Jeremy Kapinos -- Tender

Steve McLendon -- Tender

Isaac Redman -- Tender

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114369-ed-which-free-agents-stay-go