PDA

View Full Version : This off season starts what has to be a cant miss run of talent

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Although we are a very good team and have guys in place that will keep us around the top like BEN and Troy.. We are gonna enter at least a Two year stretch with our Draft that we just cant miss guys on.. Everyone knows we dont bring in hardly any top positiion FA so we cannot miss the draft and if we do we could ruin our run with the great vets we have left. Its gonna be hard has hell because we are not just replaceing some bums.. we pretty much are replacing some guys that have been stars of the league while others have been at least big time players for the Steelers..

WE have to draft Two OL, NT, ILB, OLB, S over the next two years and not miss.. thats 6 spots and really your lucky if you hit 3 out of 7 draft picks each year.. so its not gonna be easy.

OL we are not really replacing anyone here we just suck so bad that we have to finally address this problem.. have to get 2 OL in the first or second rounds of next two years draft

> NT everyone says its the most important part of running a 3 4 and we had a great one for years.. Hampton is done.. hes getting blocked by the center alone now and hes coming off ACL.. we have to repalce that spot with a number one or two

> ILB Farrior is done as well.. Foote has already been cut for being average we need to hit a solid guy number 2 or 3 . I would love to see at least a Earl Holmes kind of guy here.. anything better is fine with me but we need OL more and again everyone who is anyone says you have to have NT so we are running out of spots already.. used up number ones for the next two years so at best we are looking at number 2 or 3 here and with a number three a earl holmes or similar player may be all we can get If we do go number 2 then maybe we can do even better.

> OLB Harrison prob has two years left at being a high level player.. back injuries and age will creep up on him.. he gives us a good year this coming year but next april we need to find a woodley at number 2

> S Ryan Clark.. at best he gives us this next year.. heck he struggles in coverage now.. I actually wish the steelers would get smart and counter the new NFL passing attack.. the hard hitting safetys are fading out its time someone looks smart and starts taking your solid nickel CB and making Safetys out of them.. pick one out that can tackle like a Kennen Lewis.. or even William Gay.... Gay may be average at CB but a S he would be one of the better cover guys at that spot in the league.. he also can tackle and blitz.. why in the world wont the Steelers do something like this and watch the rest of the league copy cat it.. its the new NFL big hitters are getting fines and teams are not running that much anyway... however if we are not gonna use our brain then we will have to replace Clark in the draft... only spot left if number 3 the second year

Now can we hit all 6 spots Id say its a long shot.. now we can get lucky and hit a 4 in one of the drafts even if we miss a 3 but make no mistake about it.,. the Steelers are coming up on a hell of a stretch... if we miss the draft picks then we are gonna waste the years some of our vets like troy and ben have left.. if we hit them then the league better watch out cause we are gonna be the team to beat for another 6 or 7 years.. Make no mistake about it Tomlin and the Front office will make or break this team over the next 2 years...

My final take over the next two years of drafts

> OL ( 1ST AND 3RD )
> ILB ( 2nd)>
> NT (1st)
>OLB ( 2nd)
> S ( 3rd)

again no matter how you look at this thing.. thats a hell of a lot of picks to not miss on.. one last thought we have been lucky or great or whatever you want to call it and pretty much hit our number ones and twos the past few years ( Timmons Woodley,Pouncey, Heywood, Gilbert ( looks solid) we cannot afford to miss on any Jason worilds type pick the next two years.. and GOD help us if we miss a number one aka Jermery Stephens.. man that would kill us..

One Final thought I promise.... Im sure instead of following my draft plan above the Steelers will draft a TE in round one and maybe a FB in round 2 lol

60_MINUTES
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
By the way all of this depends on Cortez Allen being a great probowl type player or at least a solid number 2 type CB... if he doesnt pan out then we are in trouble.. we just dont have the spots in the draft to replace everyone we need... so lets hope our CB with the help of Carnell Lake stay solid.. and if Allen turns out to be great.. then we wont have to address that spot until year 3 when we draft IKE's replacement

pete74
01-14-2012, 04:36 AM
if we draft a TE round 1 i promise i will become a Green Bay fan. that would be idiotic.
like you said, we need some good drafts, its essential. we cant have any Worilds strike outs. Worilds was a 4th round pick we reached for in the 2nd so i kinda figured he wouldnt pan out. theres still a chance for him but its not a good one. we grabbed him and Gibson that same year and everyone questioned it, seems we were all right

steeltheone
01-14-2012, 07:03 AM
You hit the nail on the head about Clark. He has lost a few steps. He seems to get a free pass though? I will say he can still hit!

DanRooney
01-14-2012, 08:58 AM
No great ILBs will be there in round 2. If we draft OL in round 1 then we're going NT in round 2 or OL again.

60_MINUTES
01-14-2012, 10:27 AM
No great ILBs will be there in round 2. If we draft OL in round 1 then we're going NT in round 2 or OL again.

Fine with me... maybe we can look ILB next year.. no matter what we cant miss on the picks we take IMO

LVSteelersfan
01-14-2012, 10:49 AM
if we draft a TE round 1 i promise i will become a Green Bay fan. that would be idiotic.
like you said, we need some good drafts, its essential. we cant have any Worilds strike outs. Worilds was a 4th round pick we reached for in the 2nd so i kinda figured he wouldnt pan out. theres still a chance for him but its not a good one. we grabbed him and Gibson that same year and everyone questioned it, seems we were all right

And what the heck makes you think Worilds is a strikeout? I disagree 100%. He only played in a backup role this year. You can't write him off yet. People who write off players after one year of play crack me up. I will bring up the old argument, REMEMBER POLOMOLU. Do not write these players off so early in their careers. It takes time to learn all the intricacies of the Lebeau Defense. I think Worilds will be fine.

DanRooney
01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
And what the heck makes you think Worilds is a strikeout? I disagree 100%. He only played in a backup role this year. You can't write him off yet. People who write off players after one year of play crack me up. I will bring up the old argument, REMEMBER POLOMOLU. Do not write these players off so early in their careers. It takes time to learn all the intricacies of the Lebeau Defense. I think Worilds will be fine.

It takes a lot of time for a LBer to learn to not pressure a QB and allow a left handed one to roll left.

TRH
01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
i will absolutely agree with this part the most : the Steelers have to stop being stubborn and MUST make serious adjustments and looking at new personnel to counter the new, modern NFL passing attack..

QB's are now throwing 50 attempts a game like its yesterday's news. In fact, i would look for passing attempts across the board to increase again next year. It wouldn't surprise me someday soon to see someone like a Drew Brees to pass every down in a game. Laugh, but it's coming, fella's.
The old guard backfields have to be adjusted.

60_MINUTES
01-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Worilds just finished his second year but I agree with you a little.. Yes I wouldnt write him off yet but at the same time at this point its looks bad.. Yes Troy looked lost first year but the second he went slam off.. of course Troy is one of the best players in history.. so lets look at Woodley and to be honest I think thats why most people are calling worilds a bust... Wood in this first year was solid and second year was making huge plays all over the field... ( wood a second rounder just like worilds ) at this point Worilds is showing nothing but a little speed, no real since of play making abilty or instinct is showing up.. I do agree with you that its not time to call him a bust.. however Im pretty sure for a round 2 guy we can call him a bust at that spot..

Your first and second round guys have to be able to be at a high level by year 2 at least ( especailly with a team that brings no FA in ) we have to have them show up and be a factor aka.. Pouncey, Woodley, Timmons, Heywood played decent this year ( our DE on the 3 4 never make splash plays but if teams dont run on us then they are doing their job) Hood is a stud and was in year two.. He played behind Smith but still looked good when he got his reps) Worilds is the only one the past 4 years ( number one or two that has not done shit..

Another reason he is catching hell is simple Hes a Tomlin pick... Mike is from the Hampton Area.. where Worilds is from.. draft day no one and I mean no one had Worilds rated a number 2. Im not sure who Tomlin was taking care of with this pick but I say he owed someone something somewhere.. Hell I cant think of any other reason even though that one sounds retarded... Hell I dont live far from VA TECH matter of fact the paper that covers their team.. Roanoke Times also covers my small town.. its our major paper outlet so to speak.. I hate tech and one of the reasons is its all you hear about in the paper... Every article in the damn thing is about how great they think VA Tech his... my point ... I live close by and for the 4 years worilds was there playing.. I never and I mean never even heard his name... You would think a number 2 pick in the NFL would be all over the place being talked about in his local college area... But I hope your right and he gets better... we need him to show something next year thats for sure...

tanda10506
01-14-2012, 03:50 PM
How does Worilds look bad or look like a "strikeout"? I don't care who heard his name where, he played great this year when he filled in. He got just as much pressure as Harrison did, he got some sacks, and played decent against the run. If there is an example of Worilds not meeting expectations this year I'd like to hear it?

A TE in high in the draft is pointless, we have a good TE and a backup that looks promising, and that's on an offense that doesn't use TE's. I know most people want us to draft high for the O line, but we need guys that can play now. We got two young guys that start these last 2 drafts, but we need a guy who can play at guard right now, we need a FA guard or two.

60_MINUTES
01-14-2012, 04:04 PM
How does Worilds look bad or look like a "strikeout"? I don't care who heard his name where, he played great this year when he filled in. He got just as much pressure as Harrison did, he got some sacks, and played decent against the run. If there is an example of Worilds not meeting expectations this year I'd like to hear it?

A TE in high in the draft is pointless, we have a good TE and a backup that looks promising, and that's on an offense that doesn't use TE's. I know most people want us to draft high for the O line, but we need guys that can play now. We got two young guys that start these last 2 drafts, but we need a guy who can play at guard right now, we need a FA guard or two.

UH... the TE thing is a Joke.. that was the point... you know the Steelers in the past have done some dumb things like Draft a TE... Not so much as of late I actually thought they have draft well over the past few years... anyway the TE thing was a Joke

Far as worilds he is a second round pick.. we are the Steelers.. We play for superbowls and our players are held to higher standards... Troy P, Woodley, Timmons, Hood Pouncey, guys like this are making a differece and going to Probowls in their second year.. Worilds has done very little.,.. I would say your def in the minority if you think he has played anywhere close to probowl level or solid for that matter... Heck even Tomlin ( as the pittsburgh Post reported ) has said to be riding him more then anyone in prac.. I think Tomlin expects more thats for sure... Lets hope year 3 we see this guy all over the field making plays but Im not seeing it... Far as Harrison.. the guy missed many games this year and went into the season at about 70 percent.. still got 9 sacks... by the way harrison is 30 years old and fading a bit now.. but has played at MVP levels... Worilds is in the prime of his life as a football player I hope he gets better

BKAnthem
01-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Now that our stars are aging that BPA philosophy has to go out the window...we have bonafide NEEDS...starting with that Oline and safety depth