PDA

View Full Version : Curious: is BA play calling really that bad, or.....

EbonySteel86
01-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Is he calling the plays Ben wants to run??? Was discussing this with a buddy of mine. I said it was BA, he said Ben, cause BA calls a good game when Bens not playing....hmmm. What you guys think? Help!!!

ricardisimo
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Just point out one thing to your friend if he really needs convincing: the packages that are sent out onto the field. Ben has no say over that. Going five wide on 3rd-and-short... that's Bruce all the way.

He tends to call a more sound and logical game when his hands are tied. No mystery in that.

NoFieldFive
01-14-2012, 06:30 PM
the bigger question is why does Tomlin allow this nonsense to continue?

the one game the offense really clicked was the New England game. and then you never see that again. Miller had more catches in the first half then he had in the next 5 games combined.

your O line sucks, you leave no backs to block and you keep calling 50 yard plays down the field? if you are going to keep leaving Ben without help then at least call some quick short passes over the middle...and I don't mean our famous bubble screens

ricardisimo
01-14-2012, 06:40 PM

the one game the offense really clicked was the New England game. and then you never see that again. Miller had more catches in the first half then he had in the next 5 games combined.

your O line sucks, you leave no backs to block and you keep calling 50 yard plays down the field? if you are going to keep leaving Ben without help then at least call some quick short passes over the middle...and I don't mean our famous bubble screens
Bubble screens to our slowest receiver, no less. Hines has one true value as a receiver (rather than as a blocker) namely, he knows how to find an open seam in the middle of the field. Slow as molasses, yet there he is every time. No, let's not do that. Let's throw him the bubble for a one yard loss. :banging: Why not just take a knee if you're going to run that play?

EbonySteel86
01-14-2012, 06:44 PM

But that was his point, you don't see the 5 wide 3rd and 2 plays, when Bens not playing. Is it Ben that don't like the short game or is it BA? Either way, Tomlin should do something and not let it continue.

DanRooney
01-14-2012, 07:13 PM
It just sickens me how well coached the 49ers team is with Harbaugh. They always seem ready for whoever they play. Tomlin has almost identical defensive personnel as this team and better offensive players yet they're about to buy a ticket to an NFC championship beating the most dangerous team in the league while we lost to the playoff team with the worst QB in the league.

lipps83
01-14-2012, 08:05 PM
It is both BA and Ben.

I am sorry, but Ben is not the most cerebral QB in the league. I honestly think Ben struggles to read a defense correctly, and he is also addicted to the big play.

That is why he will always overlook the open guy for the short first down and would rather throw a 40 yard bomb that falls incomplete.

BKAnthem
01-14-2012, 09:35 PM
When Arians took over as OC i remember reading he let Ben pick his favorite plays out of the playbook and Junk the rest...He's calling what He and Ben Likes...not what's best for the team...Tomlin really needs to Step in.....Ben and Arians aren't even respecting the owners wishes...

TRH
01-14-2012, 09:40 PM
It just sickens me how well coached the 49ers team is with Harbaugh. They always seem ready for whoever they play. Tomlin has almost identical defensive personnel as this team and better offensive players yet they're about to buy a ticket to an NFC championship beating the most dangerous team in the league while we lost to the playoff team with the worst QB in the league.

well said.
To be specific....those defenses in that Pittsburgh/SF game :

San Fran : foaming at the mouth, psyched, aggressive, showed many different faces
Pittsburgh : stood out there like zombies, looked like we had no leader on the field, deer-in-headlight expressions, exotic blitzes seemed to have disappeard long ago...

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2012, 09:54 PM
lets put it this way ... other coordinators watch steeler game film to see what NOT to do...:tap:

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 11:37 PM
When you elect to completely disregard your tight end in the redzone in lieu of throwing lob passes to Hines Ward, something isn't right. When other teams are able to exploit a defenses weaknesses on a consistent basis, but ours has to settle for field goals or hoping that Ben creates something on the run against those same defenses, something's wrong. The majority of our big plays happen when Ben breaks out of the pocket and turns sh!t into sugar.

plenewken
01-15-2012, 07:26 AM
....... when Ben breaks out of the pocket and turns sh!t into sugar.

And this has a very low probability, as demonstrated by our 21st ranking in pts scored. Ben breaks out of the pocket and what? He can't move fast enough to even get a 1st down. An OL guy is as fast as he is. Ben's in no shape to play like this.

JCPsteelers
01-15-2012, 07:45 AM

49ers have better personnel on defense than we do especially on the defensive line.

But point taken, Jim Harbaugh looks like he will be a great coach in this league.

Offensive line needs to be fixed. Arians should go.

BengalDestroyer
01-15-2012, 07:58 AM
=

Offensive line needs to be fixed. Arians should go.

and that's all it comes down to.

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2012, 09:04 AM
BA's, O-Line "execution" was really that bad this season.
Take, for example, the 49ers, Saints', and Pats O-executions'. They have been quite a wonder to watch, compared to ours right now.
Sadly, we haven't even SEEN the best of the rest yet !
There is still more to come later today, and on the 22nd, before the Big One.

Geezus, we really were absolutely pathetic, (Offensively), from the start of our 49ers game,..., (save for that Rams game, with Batch as QB), right up until our final Denver F-F-F-FLOP !
Sure, some of it is definitely because our Coaches stubbornly played a one-legged, injured Ben, ( I mean WTF was deh thinkin' ?!)
but still,
everything must be suspect on our Offense now, most especially from it's bonehead decision makers' -primarily BA, but ultimately Tomlin as well.
Tomlin, Rooney, the Steelers' GM,... can NOT avoid this anymore.
We also have the RB's for a great smash-mouth RUN Offense as well, but BA simply doesn't know HOWTO execute it.
We can NOT just depend on Ben's high turnover passing ratio's either, ANYMORE. -that's already 'bin sniffed out.
we need a NEW O-plan, period !
- BA has gotta go -

TRH
01-15-2012, 09:15 AM
BA's, O-Line "execution" was really that bad this season.
Take, for example, the 49ers, Saints', and Pats O-executions'. They have been quite a wonder to watch, compared to ours right now.
Sadly, we haven't even SEEN the best of the rest yet !
There is still more to come later today, and on the 22nd, before the Big One.

Geezus, we really were absolutely pathetic, (Offensively), from the start of our 49ers game,..., (save for that Rams game, with Batch as QB), right up until our final Denver F-F-F-FLOP !
Sure, some of it is definitely because our Coaches stubbornly played a one-legged, injured Ben, ( I mean WTF was deh thinkin' ?!)
but still,
everything must be suspect on our Offense now, most especially from it's bonehead decision makers' -primarily BA, but ultimately Tomlin as well.
Tomlin, Rooney, the Steelers' GM,... can NOT avoid this anymore.
- BA has gotta go -

the offense was bad. But the defense was equally as bad, actually worse.
Everybody's going to have to make the best of it....because Arians will be back next year, thats nearly a certainty.

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
the offense was bad. But the defense was equally as bad, actually worse.
Everybody's going to have to make the best of it....because Arians will be back next year, thats nearly a certainty.

"...equally as bad, actually worse..." ???

soooo wrong, I highly doubt that, but ya, if you wanna pin it on just our "D" on those last few seconds against Denver, then sure. I'll agree.
Instead, I "watched" the whole season, all the other games too, and our Offensive Line executions were pathetic, and they DO NOT even put up the required, bare minimum, numbers' anymore.
On the brighter-side though, Batch looked pretty good. :)

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Everything is under control - apparently the future for the offense is so bright everyone needs to wear shades

Steelers look for offense to take off next season:mad:

Guard Trai Essex is one of the Steelers' 11 unrestricted free agents, and he hopes to return in 2012. Among his reasons: He doesn't want to miss out on the fun.

Essex is among those in the organization who think the offense has a chance to take off next season.

"The sky is the limit," said Essex, who was drafted by the Steelers in 2005. "Once we get a consistent o-line and stop getting hurt all of the time, we will be fine."...

We can be great," Roethlisberger said. "We just have to put in the work in the offseason. A lot of that is going to fall on me."

He is not the only one who thinks the Steelers need to take a sense of urgency into the offseason.

"The lack of work that we had this summer with the lockout, you could tell that kind of hurt us," Redman said. "In the offseason we just need to come together and get that timing and have that edge on every other team. We just need to work harder."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_776719.html

With regard to the "once we fix the O-line comment," once pigs learn to fly they will no longer need to travel by land only - don't hold your breath

As for the need for offseason workouts, too bad the Steelers were the only team which could not work out during the lockout

Denial is probably one of the best known defense mechanisms, used often to describe situations in which people seem unable to face reality or admit an obvious truth (i.e. "He's in denial."). Denial is an outright refusal to admit or recognize that something has occurred or is currently occurring.

http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/defensemech_3.htm

Denial seems to be a good fit for describing the post-season happy talk about the offense coming from the team

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Everything is under control - apparently the future for the offense is so bright everyone needs to wear shades

Steelers look for offense to take off next season:mad:

Guard Trai Essex is one of the Steelers' 11 unrestricted free agents, and he hopes to return in 2012. Among his reasons: He doesn't want to miss out on the fun.

Essex is among those in the organization who think the offense has a chance to take off next season.

"The sky is the limit," said Essex, who was drafted by the Steelers in 2005. "Once we get a consistent o-line and stop getting hurt all of the time, we will be fine."...

We can be great," Roethlisberger said. "We just have to put in the work in the offseason. A lot of that is going to fall on me."

He is not the only one who thinks the Steelers need to take a sense of urgency into the offseason.

"The lack of work that we had this summer with the lockout, you could tell that kind of hurt us," Redman said. "In the offseason we just need to come together and get that timing and have that edge on every other team. We just need to work harder."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_776719.html

With regard to the "once we fix the O-line comment," once pigs learn to fly they will no longer need to travel by land only - don't hold your breath

As for the need for offseason workouts, too bad the Steelers were the only team which could not work out during the lockout

Denial is probably one of the best known defense mechanisms, used often to describe situations in which people seem unable to face reality or admit an obvious truth (i.e. "He's in denial."). Denial is an outright refusal to admit or recognize that something has occurred or is currently occurring.

http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/defensemech_3.htm

Denial seems to be a good fit for describing the post-season happy talk about the offense coming from the team

Ok, allright, I agree, but just to quote Ben " We can be Great,...."
Fine, Ben, but that should also mean that you BEN, actually show-up to "practices", ALL-THE-TIME, and work-out too, like everyone else, ... etc.....
Tebow took hits like an RB, and got up faster than his hitter's.
Put it this way, Tim Tebow''s forearm is bigger than Ben's biceps'., even though Ben is twice his size ?
I mean, Ben has gotta keep physically strong, legs, arms, ...as well. Maybe Ben needs to be "under" a hard-driving QB Coach.
You're a scrambler, so build like one Ben ! Else, you won't last 2 more years.
... and if we're still stuck with Ariens', then fine, so let's build for it Ben, as "YOU" say, and we'll see next season.
I'm all for it.
:tt04:

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Ok, allright, I agree, but just to quote Ben " We can be Great,...."
Fine, Ben, but that should also mean that you BEN, actually show-up to "practices", ALL-THE-TIME, and work-out too, like everyone else, ... etc.....
Tebow took hits like an RB, and got up faster than his hitter's.
Put it this way, Tim Tebow''s forearm is bigger than Ben's biceps'., even though Ben is twice his size ?
I mean, Ben has gotta keep physically strong, legs, arms, ...
You're a scrambler, so build like one Ben !
... and if we're still stuck with Ariens', then fine, and let's build for it Ben, and we'll see next season.
:tt04:

Roethlisberger has 8 years of getting pounded in the NFL - he may need to improve his workout habits but no workout regimen is going to protect him from the consequences of continuing to get hammered every week if the offense is not modified - he was hurt going down the stretch in 2009 (concussion) and 2010 (foot) as well - those injuries are due to more than bad luck

EbonySteel86
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I do think that Ben gets hurt alot because he holds the ball for 20/30 seconds....or more. In the O-line's defense, they can't block for that long. Hell, no line can block for that long. If the line knew where Ben is going to be, he wouldn't get hit as much. Ben was hardly touched in the NE game, and thats the same defense that sacked Tebow like a million times. Short mediate passes work lovely, especially with these quick receivers we have. Ben won't get hit nearly as much with this game plan. Oh, and Redman should start. It seems like the O-line, yes the same line that every one says stinks to high heaven, blocks better for him for some reason. Lol!

plenewken
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I do think that Ben gets hurt alot because he holds the ball for 20/30 seconds....or more. In the O-line's defense, they can't block for that long. Hell, no line can block for that long. If the line knew where Ben is going to be, he wouldn't get hit as much. Ben was hardly touched in the NE game, and thats the same defense that sacked Tebow like a million times. Short mediate passes work lovely, especially with these quick receivers we have. Ben won't get hit nearly as much with this game plan. Oh, and Redman should start. It seems like the O-line, yes the same line that every one says stinks to high heaven, blocks better for him for some reason. Lol!

And I do think that Ben is out of shape too and it's been the case for several years now. He doesn't have the mobility he had 3 or 4 years ago.