PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

RichardCullinanForever
01-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I hate so say it, but until we get new DC and OC, and possibly head coach, this team is going nowhere. The Niners have a good defense, and an average offense and are able to look like the best team in the league. We have a good defense and a good offense and manage to embarrass ourselves every game. Even the Patriots's pitiful, I mean pitiful defense, is able to hold teams because they are so well coached. They are up 21-7 now. Good coaches can carry average players but average coaches cannot carry great players. In any other sport that would not be true, but in the NFL, that is the sad truth. And I'm afraid our playoff performance was about as bad of a coaching job as I have seen out of the Steelers in a long time. It's one thing if you get outplayed, it's another when you get embarrassed because a lack of preparation and game planning. Pathetic.

Truman_sparks
01-14-2012, 09:35 PM
This is correct. Look how differently the Pats are playing and defending the Broncos!

And, if you could generate pressure up the middle with your front 7, you don't have to play 9 in the box....leaving your corners with no help in the middle or over the top

Set-Man
01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I agree that it is time for D. LeBeau to retire. He was one of the greatest but too predictable (except for the Pats game).
BA won't go anywhere unless Ben leaves.

I will also admit that they defend with the players they have. Need young, athletic players to do this defense. If it takes them 2-3 years to learn the defense then something is wrong... The league doesn't work that way anymore.

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Arians needs to go. I have no problems with Tomlin or LeBeau staying. Our defense held teams to 14 points per game. If Tomlin were released, he wouldn't be unemployed very long. I'm disappointed with the way the season ended too but I'm not ready to go all "Cleveland browns fan" and call for us to blow everything up and start all over again because we loss in the first round of the playoffs. That's ridiculous. I don't know of very many NFL teams that fire their coaches after a 12-4 season and a post season appearance. Hands off the panic button.

RichardCullinanForever
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I think a lot of people underestimate the influence that coaches have on the game. In the NBA, you need good players to win. I'm not saying coaches can't improve a team, but I believe a good team can carry bad or mediocre coaches. An example of this is the Miami Heat. Baseball coaches don't really make too much of a difference either, at least not too many in game decisions. What, they call like 3 hit-and-runs a game, maybe a steal or two, and if they are working extra hard maybe they'll call a squeeze. Good players cannot make up for poor coaching in the NFL. If anyone would like to prove me wrong all I can say is good luck. The Steelers coaches aren't even mediocre, they are terrible. Bruce is terrible. Dick has become terrible (that game plan was literally a piece of shit). Tomlin knows how to coach in the locker room but when it comes down to in-game decisions, he is once again awful. I used to think Tomlin was only mediocre when it came down to clock management, game plan, etc, but after this season I believe he is bad at best.

BTW, Patriots score update - 35-7. I'm glad that the Pats are embarrassing the Broncos, just goes to show how much of an embarrassment that loss was. Everyone in the Steelers organization should be embarrassed right now that this college-quality team brought shame to a historically great organization.

Sixburgher
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Arians needs to go. I have no problems with Tomlin or LeBeau staying. Our defense held teams to 14 points per game. If Tomlin were released, he wouldn't be unemployed very long. I'm disappointed with the way the season ended too but I'm not ready to go all "Cleveland browns fan" and call for us to blow everything up and start all over again because we loss in the first round of the playoffs. That's ridiculous. I don't know of very many NFL teams that fire their coaches after a 12-4 season and a post season appearance. Hands off the panic button.

Thank you.

lipps83
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM

People are ready to "Cleveland Browns" the team because this just might be one of the most talented teams in the league, but you have a doofus running the offense and the defense is no longer aggressive like it used to be, or could be.

People are tired of the mediocrity, especially on the offensive side of the ball, and the apparent lack of regard to make any adjustments.

RichardCullinanForever
01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Thank you.

We had an embarrassingly easy schedule this year. If anyone knows anything about anything they will know that the Steelers deserved to win 9 games at most. This team was terrible this year. I mean, we beat how many good teams? The Patriots? One good team. Hell, I'll even through the 2 Bengals wins and the win against Tenn. That's 4 impressive wins. And what else, we barely beat the Jags, the Colts, the Browns twice, KC, and the Cardinals. And if your response is 'every win is impressive,' well then, I guess you have just fallen victim to Tomlin's post game BS. If we believe we are a SB contender, we should put up 35+ points on all of those sorry teams.

On paper, we look identical to the 2008 team. I mean we both went 12-4 right? The main difference between us this year and us in 2008 is that we had the hardest schedule in the NFL in 2008 and still managed to win 12 game. Now that is impressive. This team was terrible this year, which isn't necessarily a 'end of the world' issue. I mean, every team has off years, but don't try to tell me this team was any good this year. We were embarrassed by the 49'ers, the Ravens twice, and the Broncos. What different about us and those 3 team? Those 3 teams are still alive in the playoffs and we are at home. Yep, bad season overall, for both the coaches and the players.

Sixburgher
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
We had an embarrassingly easy schedule this year. If anyone knows anything about anything they will know that the Steelers deserved to win 9 games at most. This team was terrible this year. I mean, we beat how many good teams? The Patriots? One good team. Hell, I'll even through the 2 Bengals wins and the win against Tenn. That's 4 impressive wins. And what else, we barely beat the Jags, the Colts, the Browns twice, KC, and the Cardinals. And if your response is 'every win is impressive,' well then, I guess you have just fallen victim to Tomlin's post game BS. If we believe we are a SB contender, we should put up 35+ points on all of those sorry teams.

On paper, we look identical to the 2008 team. I mean we both went 12-4 right? The main difference between us this year and us in 2008 is that we had the hardest schedule in the NFL in 2008 and still managed to win 12 game. Now that is impressive. This team was terrible this year, which isn't necessarily a 'end of the world' issue. I mean, every team has off years, but don't try to tell me this team was any good this year. We were embarrassed by the 49'ers, the Ravens twice, and the Broncos. What different about us and those 3 team? Those 3 teams are still alive in the playoffs and we are at home. Yep, bad season overall, for both the coaches and the players.

How many different offensive lines did we start this season alone? How many games did we have Woodley AND Harrison on the field for? Think injuries didn't play a role? You don't blow things up and start all over from square one over one season. Unless you like going 4-12 every year.

jjpro11
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
we had one weak game on defense.. some of our most reliable guys shit the bed.. Taylor in coverage.. Harrison's inability to keep contain on Tebow. Polamalu making poor reads. Lebeau had a weak gameplan himself.

our offense, on the other hand, had one of its many weak games on offense.. all that talent on offense and we can't do better than what, 20th or so overall? i know the oline is weak, but so is Green Bay's. the Colts oline was severely overrated when they were lighting up the scoreboard prior to this year. something needs to change, but it doesn't look like anything will.

stb_steeler
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I agree that it is time for D. LeBeau to retire. He was one of the greatest but too predictable (except for the Pats game).
BA won't go anywhere unless Ben leaves.

I will also admit that they defend with the players they have. Need young, athletic players to do this defense. If it takes them 2-3 years to learn the defense then something is wrong... The league doesn't work that way anymore.

I guess you also think the Siants should fire their whole team after that defenseless game today HUH? I agree BA needs to go, with the same gameplan that he brings every week. Thats one thing teams do now is get players playing at high levels quickly and thats something the Steelers need to start doing also!

jjpro11
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
How many different offensive lines did we start this season alone? How many games did we have Woodley AND Harrison on the field for? Think injuries didn't play a role? You don't blow things up and start all over from square one over one season. Unless you like going 4-12 every year.

i am fine with the defense.

the offense has been mediocre for the past several years.. it was damn near invisible during the 2008 season other than the 4th quarter of games.

SH-Rock
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I guess you also think the Siants should fire their whole team after that defenseless game today HUH? I agree BA needs to go, with the same gameplan that he brings every week. Thats one thing teams do now is get players playing at high levels quickly and thats something the Steelers need to start doing also!

Fire their headcoach, fire their defensive coordinator, get a new qb, get new receivers and running backs and then draft high. That's what the saints should do.

Steelers fans have been the most spoiled out of any NFL team. Since Chuck Noll, the Steelers have had 8 losing seasons, 3 were in Chuck Nolls first 3 seasons. The Steelers have gone to 8 superbowls in that span and won 6.

This year the Steelers had the number one defense yardage wise, had the number one defense scoring wise. Sure Arians sucks, but at least our team is better than most overall. Our defense year in and year out is always on top.

Can't win the big one every year, so shut up and wait till next season. Be proud to be a Steeler! :helmet:

Black N' Yellow
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM

Or it was a good season and we went 12-4 and made the playoffs regardless of the fact we were one of the most beat-up teams in the league coming off a short offseason.

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I think a lot of people underestimate the influence that coaches have on the game. In the NBA, you need good players to win. I'm not saying coaches can't improve a team, but I believe a good team can carry bad or mediocre coaches. An example of this is the Miami Heat. Baseball coaches don't really make too much of a difference either, at least not too many in game decisions. What, they call like 3 hit-and-runs a game, maybe a steal or two, and if they are working extra hard maybe they'll call a squeeze. Good players cannot make up for poor coaching in the NFL. If anyone would like to prove me wrong all I can say is good luck. The Steelers coaches aren't even mediocre, they are terrible. Bruce is terrible. Dick has become terrible (that game plan was literally a piece of shit). Tomlin knows how to coach in the locker room but when it comes down to in-game decisions, he is once again awful. I used to think Tomlin was only mediocre when it came down to clock management, game plan, etc, but after this season I believe he is bad at best.

BTW, Patriots score update - 35-7. I'm glad that the Pats are embarrassing the Broncos, just goes to show how much of an embarrassment that loss was. Everyone in the Steelers organization should be embarrassed right now that this college-quality team brought shame to a historically great organization.
"Good players can't make up for bad coaching in the NFL"? Seriously? You do realize that we went to two superbowls in the last three years with this same coaching staff?

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 10:26 PM
People are ready to "Cleveland Browns" the team because this just might be one of the most talented teams in the league, but you have a doofus running the offense and the defense is no longer aggressive like it used to be, or could be.

People are tired of the mediocrity, especially on the offensive side of the ball, and the apparent lack of regard to make any adjustments.

Well have it your way then. Pull the plug on the entire coaching staff after a every single disappointing season and see what happens. I watch brownstains fans deal with that every other year and look where it's got them. Arians has been inept for a while, but Tomlin and LeBeau have had more good days then bad.

BKAnthem
01-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Tomlin doesn't make excuses for injuries...neither should we...real talk

RichardCullinanForever
01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
"Good players can't make up for bad coaching in the NFL"? Seriously? You do realize that we went to two superbowls in the last three years with this same coaching staff?

That's when Dick wasn't washed up. Our defense was the only reason we won in 2008. Our offense didn't have many superstars in 2005 yet Wiz was able to work his magic.

Raw Steel
01-14-2012, 10:30 PM

He doesn't make excuses which I like. However, he has not shown he knows how to handle them...at least in Roethlisberger's situation.

Sixburgher
01-14-2012, 10:32 PM

He doesn't whine like a bitch like many here do either. Sack up.

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 10:41 PM
That's when Dick wasn't washed up. Our defense was the only reason we won in 2008. Our offense didn't have many superstars in 2005 yet Wiz was able to work his magic.

Was Lebeau "washed up" when we went to the Superbowl last year and lead us to the number one scoring defense and overall defense in the league this year?

TRH
01-14-2012, 10:42 PM
see my post in the "call me a poor sport" thread...

Belichik and his staff are putting on a CLINIC tonight. This is how you have a team ready. I don't know if i've ever seen better coaching than this.
It makes our staff look like a bunch of stumbling, bumbling fools. Wow.

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 10:48 PM
He doesn't make excuses which I like. However, he has not shown he knows how to handle them...at least in Roethlisberger's situation.

Ben has performed well with injuries throughout the years, he's a gamer, so Tomlin decided to roll the dice with him again this year but unfortunately this time it was craps. He's not going to always be right. No coach is.

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 10:52 PM

Belichik and his staff are putting on a CLINIC tonight. This is how you have a team ready. I don't know if i've ever seen better coaching than this.

Weren't they outcoached by the Steeler coaching staff this year?

Rockonsteel
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Was Lebeau "washed up" when we went to the Superbowl last year and lead us to the number one scoring defense and overall defense in the league this year?

Not for nothing, his defense did get shredded in said SB last year. And, although the ranking says they were #1, they were not exactly dominant this season. And their lack of turnovers and sacks and just impact plays in general, made it kinda never really feel like a #1 defense. They did play against a bunch of bad offenses and QBs.

Rockon

Raw Steel
01-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Ben has performed well with injuries throughout the years, he's a gamer, so Tomlin decided to roll the dice with him again this year but unfortunately this time it was craps. He's not going to always be right. No coach is.

Ben had not been hurt like this where his throwing and mobility affected him the way the high ankle sprain did. Search the AFC Championship game against the Jets on YouTube and you will truly appreciate what a healthy Big Ben can do. He was amazing.

And Tomlin is on the record saying they played him trying to get the bye. I have already seen a healthy Ben take the Steelers to the Super Bowl with all road games. He proved he could do that. That should have made the decision for Tomlin.

Rockonsteel
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Shit, the Steelers coaches did a damn good job of that all by themselves last Sunday. This game just highlights that fact.

Rockon

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 11:07 PM
bBen had not been hurt like this where his throwing and mobility affected him the way the high ankle sprain did. Search the AFC Championship game against the Jets on YouTube and you will truly appreciate what a healthy Big Ben can do. He was amazing.

And Tomlin is on the record saying they played him trying to get the bye. I have already seen a healthy Ben take the Steelers to the Super Bowl with all road games. He proved he could do that. That should have made the decision for Tomlin.
Ben played with a thumb injury and he missed four games with a sprained mcl in that year they went on the road in the playoffs.

Raw Steel
01-14-2012, 11:11 PM
b
Ben played with a thumb injury and he missed four games with a sprained mcl in that year they went on the road in the playoffs.

Missed four games is the key phrase. He should have missed three games at the end of this season and he might have been a lot better off. And the thumb was a pain injury. It didn't affect his performance the way the high ankle sprain did.

stb_steeler
01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Fire their headcoach, fire their defensive coordinator, get a new qb, get new receivers and running backs and then draft high. That's what the saints should do.

Steelers fans have been the most spoiled out of any NFL team. Since Chuck Noll, the Steelers have had 8 losing seasons, 3 were in Chuck Nolls first 3 seasons. The Steelers have gone to 8 superbowls in that span and won 6.

This year the Steelers had the number one defense yardage wise, had the number one defense scoring wise. Sure Arians sucks, but at least our team is better than most overall. Our defense year in and year out is always on top.

Can't win the big one every year, so shut up and wait till next season. Be proud to be a Steeler! :helmet:

I dont think you understood the post.....I didnt imply that we fire Dick, that was my point to the other poster. I agreed that Arians should be tho, on the lack of how many times we were in the redzone and its the same outcome!. Ive prolly been a Steeler fan longer than you've been alive, and ive seen many dismal seasons and i understand you cant win em all, so as far as telling me to shut up its a message board thats whats its for!

Rockonsteel
01-14-2012, 11:23 PM

Weren't they outcoached by the Steeler coaching staff this year?

I'm beginning to think that was a fluke. They haven't looked nearly as sharp on either side of the ball at any time since that game.

Rockon

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Missed four games is the key phrase. He should have missed three games at the end of this season and he might have been a lot better off. And the thumb was a pain injury. It didn't affect his performance the way the high ankle sprain did.

A pain injury on your throwing hand doesn't affect your passing? At one point in time they were talking about having surgery on it. I agree that Ben should have been sat during the last three games, but from what was said during the game last week, Tomlin was told that the swelling on Ben's ankle wasn't going to go down until March anyway, so he would be less mobile regardless. And besides, I thought Ben had a decent game last week. It wasn't his immobility that cost the game.

AgentGold007
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Since the Steelers obviously aren't going to fire Arians anytime soon, I'd like to see them add another offensive coach to their coaching staff to assist with game planning and be in place until they decide to boot Arians.

therocksteeler
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Man, we could have done better than this against the Patriots tonight plan and simple. Broncos were just plan horrible and could not keep up with them. As far as our DC and OC ...If you listen to Mike Tomlin's post game interview you will hear him say in the off seasons some changes will be made. I respect Dick L. for all his dedication for our team but there is time to push away from the table and I believe this is it. As far as Bruce A. I hope they left him at the bus station in Denver.

TRH
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Man, we could have done better than this against the Patriots tonight plan and simple. Broncos were just plan horrible and could not keep up with them. As far as our DC and OC ...If you listen to Mike Tomlin's post game interview you will hear him say in the off seasons some changes will be made. I respect Dick L. for all his dedication for our team but there is time to push away from the table and I believe this is it. As far as Bruce A. I hope they left him at the bus station in Denver.

the Bronco's were indeed horrible tonight and a more true reflection of what kind of team they really are, but the Patriots also PLAYED an excellent game.
There's no way in hell we would have won tonight and there's nobody out there that could convince me otherwise. The one thing Belichik does and does well is adapt...he has his coaching staff adapt...and make the necessary adjustments.......we don't, we "stay the course". He would have had his team all over us tonight. I hate to say that, because i hate NE, but it's true.

stb_steeler
01-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Tomlin meant this needs changed
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/photolover534/toilet.jpg

AgentGold007
01-15-2012, 12:00 AM

if you "push Lebeau away from the table", who do you suggest they replace him with?

jiminpa
01-15-2012, 12:43 AM
if you "push Lebeau away from the table", who do you suggest they replace him with?Tomlin LOL. The good news is that if they did that we would soon see who has been keeping the team afloat, and the Rooneys would have to make changes.

Sixburgher
01-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Tomlin LOL. The good news is that if they did that we would soon see who has been keeping the team afloat, and the Rooneys would have to make changes.

Amazing that you have that figured out, but somehow the Rooneys don't. Surprised they've missed your genius.

Eztarget
01-15-2012, 01:48 AM

Yet failed to adjust his game plan last week to stop the Broncos high school QB. The Pats utter domination tonight proved that.

I said it last week when I posted how bad Tomlin was outcoached. Our coaches got owned big time last week. Every single one of them.

jjpro11
01-15-2012, 02:03 AM
if we would have played the Pats tonight, we would have come in with the exact same game-plan and set of plays from earlier this season.. the Pats would have had more than a week to dissect it and figure out ways to exploit it. that's why they hardly ever lose to the same team twice in one season. it would have been a disaster. thank you Broncos for improving our draft position a couple spots higher.

PhantomJB93
01-15-2012, 02:11 AM
I though people would stop the "Lebeau needs to go" nonsense when he came up with the brilliant gameplan against the Pats just three months ago...

Yes Arians needs to go but unfortunately the offense is in love with him for some unknown reason and it could create locker room turmoil if he were fired, especially with Ben. Our best bet is for some dumb team to offer him a HC job he can't refuse.

AgentGold007
01-15-2012, 03:11 AM
Yet failed to adjust his game plan last week to stop the Broncos high school QB. The Pats utter domination tonight proved that.

I said it last week when I posted how bad Tomlin was outcoached. Our coaches got owned big time last week. Every single one of them.

So for that he should be let go? I'm disappointed with the results of that game and this season too, and no man is above criticism, but unless you have a better alternative I don't see the logic of letting a great coordinator go when his defense was pretty solid this season. True indeed he made a few mistakes this season, but even the great Belichick has made mistakes before. I got a feeling that if we upgrade the defense up the middle (ILB, NT, S) and number 2 corner, Lebeau's defense will be dominant again. It's not Lebeau's fault that Ike and William Gay don't know how to turn and locate the ball in the air or that Farrior is too slow to fill the gaps, or that Keisel and Hampton got hurt and Clark couldn't play. If there's someone out there better than Lebeau then who knows, but I'm cool with him. I'm pretty sure if Cowher came out of retirement he'd be willing to take Lebeau off of our hands in a heartbeat.

TRH
01-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I though people would stop the "Lebeau needs to go" nonsense when he came up with the brilliant gameplan against the Pats just three months ago...

Yes Arians needs to go but unfortunately the offense is in love with him for some unknown reason and it could create locker room turmoil if he were fired, especially with Ben. Our best bet is for some dumb team to offer him a HC job he can't refuse.

i don't think he should go.....but where was the "brilliant" game plan against Denver?
Our defense looked like s***, like zombies, and there were no outstanding formations and confusing schemes.
Arians keeps gettiung vilified (with good reason), but LeBeau continually gets a pass, even with hideous games like that one. Both sides of the ball were equally to blame and neither Tomlin, Arians, or LeBeau had any of their ready for that game.

Triggerfish
01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
i don't think he should go.....but where was the "brilliant" game plan against Denver?
Our defense looked like s***, like zombies, and there were no outstanding formations and confusing schemes.
Arians keeps gettiung vilified (with good reason), but LeBeau continually gets a pass, even with hideous games like that one. Both sides of the ball were equally to blame and neither Tomlin, Arians, or LeBeau had any of their ready for that game.

I agree that the entire defense lacked that intensity this season that had always made them so feared throughout the league. Did you watch that Niners game? Good lord, those guys were closing in FAST and trying to take someone's head off on almost every hit! I didn't see that this year from our D. Maybe some of it is due to the obvious fact that Goodell and Co. are keeping a very close eye on us and just WAITING to dish out a fine or suspension. But you can't play scared.

Lebeau definitely blew it with his defensive gameplan against Denver. Watching the film though, Denver gave VERY little reason to respect their passing game. He gambled on committing to stopping their #1 rushing offense, in fact OVER-commited to it, and he payed the price. To be fair, there were some adjustments made at halftime, and we held them to just a FG in the second half. However, that OT play was probably one of the most epic failures I've seen in a very long time. He put 12 guys at the LOS to stop the run, and they showed their intention way too early. He basically "went all in" while ALSO showing his hand. Easy 6 points for Denver.

I have to admit that this D sure didn't LOOK like the #1 defense in the league this season, but I'm willing to give them a pass this time. They were banged up on the D-line and couldn't get the push up the middle, and Harrison and Woodley were very rarely both healthy at the same time. The corners still need an upgrade though (as they have for many years now). That being said, if the D is able to stay relatively healthy and there isn't an improvement in the pass rush next season, it's time to make some serious re-evaluations. 17th in the league in sacks, behind D's like the Raiders and Rams? Not good enough.

madtowndrunkard
01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
It really cracks me up that people would actually call for DL's head.... how stupid can you be? We ONCE AGAIN ranked at the top in defense. With the lack of scoring and torn overs we were still able to put up a solid effort on defense. Sure maybe we werent the best defense in the NFL, we were close. We've got some personnel issues IMO.... and DL definitely made some mistakes against Denver. But I think DL has proven over the years that he learns from his mistakes and he evolves...even in his 70's. That is WHY DL is arguably the best DC ever.

We consistently play at a high level on defense... and we consistently struggle on offense. 1 bad defensive game and people want DL to retire? are you kidding?

The issue is offense. At some point your offense has to help. You cannot expect the defense to win it every time. When our offense does help we win Superbowls.

Also you have to ask your self...what role has Tomlin played? He is the HC.

Lord of Lombardi
01-15-2012, 09:17 PM
we had one weak game on defense.. some of our most reliable guys shit the bed.. Taylor in coverage.. Harrison's inability to keep contain on Tebow. Polamalu making poor reads. Lebeau had a weak gameplan himself.

our offense, on the other hand, had one of its many weak games on offense.. all that talent on offense and we can't do better than what, 20th or so overall? i know the oline is weak, but so is Green Bay's. the Colts oline was severely overrated when they were lighting up the scoreboard prior to this year. something needs to change, but it doesn't look like anything will.

A good coaching staff takes Harrison aside and coaches him to not take such an agressive line towards the fake draw, (after all this is Tim Tebow and he is not your typical QB, he can actually beat you with his feet and he Did) Harrison's typical game plan should have been changed by Coaches!! But there was Harrison time after time taking a B-line for the fake draw and there was T-bllow running around end. And what difference would it have made? Watch the Patriots LB's and lineman, they held their lanes, stood their ground and demoralized T-blow. We score two FG's and only go up 6-0. Tomlin plays down to the competition. He does not like style points but we fans do.

Fire Arians
01-15-2012, 09:36 PM
It really cracks me up that people would actually call for DL's head.... how stupid can you be? We ONCE AGAIN ranked at the top in defense. With the lack of scoring and torn overs we were still able to put up a solid effort on defense. Sure maybe we werent the best defense in the NFL, we were close. We've got some personnel issues IMO.... and DL definitely made some mistakes against Denver. But I think DL has proven over the years that he learns from his mistakes and he evolves...even in his 70's. That is WHY DL is arguably the best DC ever.

We consistently play at a high level on defense... and we consistently struggle on offense. 1 bad defensive game and people want DL to retire? are you kidding?

The issue is offense. At some point your offense has to help. You cannot expect the defense to win it every time. When our offense does help we win Superbowls.

Also you have to ask your self...what role has Tomlin played? He is the HC.

they might be statistically the #1 defense in the league, but they are the bad at holding a lead in critical times. I remember in the cowher days, the defense used to suffocate opposing offenses. Now? It's felt like years since I've felt comfortable with a lead. Look at the big games dating back to the arizona super bowl where the defense lost it for us, or almost did

Lord of Lombardi
01-15-2012, 09:42 PM
they might be statistically the #1 defense in the league, but they are the bad at holding a lead in critical times. I remember in the cowher days, the defense used to suffocate opposing offenses. Now? It's felt like years since I've felt comfortable with a lead. Look at the big games dating back to the arizona super bowl where the defense lost it for us, or almost did

Very true! I think they should factor in Strength of Schedule to the Defensive rank. Lebeau is becoming predictable. T-bow exposed that play #1 in OT. And then Burned like IKE tackled as poorly as he catches. History.

zcoop
01-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Bottom line, we had much better personnel back then. On both sides of the ball, that makes a hugh difference.

madtowndrunkard
01-16-2012, 01:06 AM

Name one defense in the NFL that holds up to your criticism.... you can't. The NFL has changed. Gone are the days that defenses can consistently dominate opponents for 60 minutes...let alone a 16 game season. It sucks...but that is the new NFL. Roger Goodell's NFL is designed to score points and air it out. Any defense that's able to slow it down is good.

Our defense was arguably the best defense in the NFL. Our offense on the other hand was mediocre..again. But it's the DC you want fired? You can't be serious.

If our offense scored points as good as the top 10 in the NFL.... we're easily in the SB. You really can't argue it.... imagine if we were in the top 5 in scoring. What would our record be? Do you think we lose that Denver game? If you say yes you are clueless. Either Ben and the talent around him is not good enough...or Arians is a bad OC. It's one or the other. take your pick. Our HC seems to think it's the talent. If he thought it was the coaching he'd be pointing the finger at him self.

IMO we'll find out of Mike Tomlin is a true winner.... if he has the guts to replace Arians then he's a true leader. If he sticks with the status quo then he's part of the problem.