PDA

View Full Version : Why the Suisham hate?

Darkstorm05
01-14-2012, 08:54 PM
So, why is it every time I see Suisham mentioned it's someone saying he sucks, needs to go, etc.? Really, what has he done that's earned him the rage? How about naming some times he missed kicks that affected a game, because I don't think I can remember any?

jjpro11
01-14-2012, 09:08 PM
it's kind of funny that all year everyone was were worried about losing a playoff game because of his leg.. instead he goes 3/3 and our offense and defense both blow it late.

steelcity1974
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
22nd in the league...right there with our offense. To like squishm is to like Arians.

TRH
01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I like Suisham. I think he has a great, winning attitude.........plus he's much better than Reed. Suisham actually boots it to the end zone, unlike Reed's consistent short kick-offs, and even though he's a little guy, he shows more fight (Reed looked like a whiny little girl when it came time to actually trying to tackle somebody).
Only problem with Suisham that i don't have much confidence in his 40+ yard attempts. I think thats why Tomlin bypassed the long field goal attempt last week.

jiminpa
01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I like Suisham. I think he has a great, winning attitude.........plus he's much better than Reed. Suisham actually boots it to the end zone, unlike Reed's consistent short kick-offs, and even though he's a little guy, he shows more fight (Reed looked like a whiny little girl when it came time to actually trying to tackle somebody).
Only problem with Suisham that i don't have much confidence in his 40+ yard attempts. I think thats why Tomlin bypassed the long field goal attempt last week.You are aware that they shortened the kickoffs right? Until then Suisham was bouncing them off of about the same spot of the field. Reed should have been a bandaid, and was made the scapegoat for our scoreless offense. They replaced him with a guy a little less accurate with about the same leg strength. Reed should have never seen his first season opener, but at least he improved. Suisham also should have never made it through his first offseason, but has actually lost a little since he came in.

TRH
01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
You are aware that they shortened the kickoffs right? Until then Suisham was bouncing them off of about the same spot of the field. Reed should have been a bandaid, and was made the scapegoat for our scoreless offense. They replaced him with a guy a little less accurate with about the same leg strength. Reed should have never seen his first season opener, but at least he improved. Suisham also should have never made it through his first offseason, but has actually lost a little since he came in.

No, not true...i remember pointing out numerous times last year how much better and deeper Suisham's kickoff's were. Reed's were almost exclusively short. It was ridiculous.

PhantomJB93
01-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Suisham is a very serviceable kicker. He's not great but anybody who thinks a rookie or free agent is going to be a better option right now has no idea what they're talking about. Not easy to find reliable kicking, which Suisham is for the most part (from fewer than 50 yards)

OX1947
01-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Suisham is a very serviceable kicker. He's not great but anybody who thinks a rookie or free agent is going to be a better option right now has no idea what they're talking about. Not easy to find reliable kicking, which Suisham is for the most part (from fewer than 50 yards)

The kid from Oklahoma State is going to be a good one. I would pick him up.

Darkstorm05
01-15-2012, 01:46 AM
The kid from Oklahoma State is going to be a good one. I would pick him up.

I guess the real question here is, given our projected status as 20+ mil over the cap next year, and our gaping holes looming in the roster, why is Suisham even being discussed as an issue? With all the extreme "Need" slots on the team, Suisham is being bashed? Which draft pick should we devote to "Fixing" this?

Lord of Lombardi
01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
So, why is it every time I see Suisham mentioned it's someone saying he sucks, needs to go, etc.? Really, what has he done that's earned him the rage? How about naming some times he missed kicks that affected a game, because I don't think I can remember any?

Tomlin's actions have done enough to this kid's psyche..... Not allowing him to kick the game winner against the Ravens is all I need to see. If you have a kicker on your team and don't have faith in a 50 yearder against your most hated rival, Sushim will never be a money kicker. That is what got him out ot DC.

Touchbacks are nice, game winners are nicer.

tanda10506
01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
He's a kicker who can't make FG kicks. His range is about 45 yards, and that's an absolute max, his comfortable range is about 35 yards. If mediocre is okay then he is okay, but he definitely doesn't add anything to the team like good kickers do. There's a big difference between punting from the defenders 40 yard line, to having 3 points on the board. He did do well in the playoffs, although I've never seen a kicker struggle in Denver.

NoFieldFive
01-15-2012, 11:22 PM
how many times are we at an opponents 30 and in field goal range. third and 3 and we take a sack. making what was an almost sure field now a 50 yarder.

he puts the ball pretty well into the end zone. sure the kick off spot was moved up 5 yards. but even without the 5 yards he's still into the end zone or at least at the end zone. Reed was often at the 10 yard line on a good kick.

GMU Steeler
01-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't mind him but if we found someone in training camp to replace him I wouldn't mind.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Suisman can't kick long field goals, that comes in handy quite often. If I see him going to a 50 yarder (which he is rarely allowed to do) I expect him to miss, I dont know the exact stats on it but I think his career long is 52, and there are some kickers out there that kick 55+ yarders with ease. I agree hes not the biggest problem but if its something we can fix this of season I say we replace him with a better kicker, in fact Id say thats out #1 priority after our o-line. Well, I don't know, our defense could use some help to, they are getting old and the injuries show that.

steelerchad
01-16-2012, 07:37 AM
I have no confidence in him outside 40 yards. I have even less confidence if the games on the line.
He can't kick a long, big kick, in a big game.

Other than that, he's fine.

SteeleReign
01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
How 'bout we focus on getting the damn ball in the end zone & forget about the kicker?! He isn't great & I don't have a lot of faith in him beyond 40, but if we build up the o-line we should be getting more TDs & closer FG attempts.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
No leg, and don't you find yourself always holding your breath on any kicks he attempts?

thankfully our special teams really did step it up this year and started at a decent field position on both sides of th eball, with exception of the denver game where we only started on the 20.

But on the kicking side he did well. But come on, you wouldnt want a prater or janiskowski on your team? How many times did we have to pump where we couldve kicked with the right guy?

plenewken
01-16-2012, 01:54 PM
But come on, you wouldnt want a prater or janiskowski on your team? How many times did we have to pump where we couldve kicked with the right guy?

Missing a >50yds FG is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't care if it's missed because of distance or accuracy. In both cases, the opponent gets the ball almost on the 40yds line. Not good, IMO. I'd rather see a punt pinning the opponent inside its 10yds line.
The real solution to the problem is to score TDs, something we haven't been good at.

truesteelerfan
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
I have no confidence in him outside 40 yards. I have even less confidence if the games on the line.
He can't kick a long, big kick, in a big game.

Other than that, he's fine.

I agree with this perfect comment. Its about my lack of confidence in him. I know there are very few "elite" kickers in the league- but I should not have to chew my fingernails off when he lines up for a 35 yard kick.

Definately bring in a rookie and have them go at it in training camp- if even close give to rookie to save us the $.

Christian Snyder
01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I have absolute confidence in his ability out to 25 yards. It's when he has too kick a 26 yarder that it gets scary....

LayingTheWoodley56
01-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Reed was excellent, I had the utmost confidence in him when it came to game-winning/tying kicks and 2009 not withstanding, I'm certain that that would be the case if someone were to look up his numbers in those situations.

Suisham is okay from 30-40 yards, but we need a guy who can drain a 55-yarder to win a game when we need it. The fact that Tomlin (who obviously watches him daily in practice) didn't have enough confidence in him to send him out there for a 48-yarder against the Ravens tells you all you need to know.

MzunguT
01-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Suisham is okay from 30-40 yards, but we need a guy who can drain a 55-yarder to win a game when we need it. The fact that Tomlin (who obviously watches him daily in practice) didn't have enough confidence in him to send him out there for a 48-yarder against the Ravens tells you all you need to know.

That 48 yards was into the open end of Heinz and into the wind, if I remember it correctly. Ratbirds missed a shorter one in the first half.

Having said that, I absolutely go with anyone here who is getting nervous if the FG is longer than 35 yards..

TRH
01-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Reed was excellent, I had the utmost confidence in him when it came to game-winning/tying kicks and 2009 not withstanding, I'm certain that that would be the case if someone were to look up his numbers in those situations.

Reed SUCKED. He booted short kickoffs consistently, giving our opponents excellent field position too much of the time.....he bailed on the field like a little girl when anyone got close to him (hell, even little guys like Suisham at least try to tackle or block people when they have to).....and he also had a huge prima donna attitude (that he didn't deserve to have) that overshadowed everything, a true jerk.
Good riddance, i'm glad he's gone and haven't changed my mind on that one at all.

fujirama24
01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Because he stinks. Everytime he takes the field I expect him to miss it. He is horrible inside the 40. He cost us the cinci game last year. IF I can rember correctly he almost cost us the afc championship last year. He has missed countless field goals. I would rather take reed back and just make sure he has enough booze in him. LOL

Darkstorm05
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Because he stinks. Everytime he takes the field I expect him to miss it. He is horrible inside the 40. He cost us the cinci game last year. IF I can rember correctly he almost cost us the afc championship last year. He has missed countless field goals. I would rather take reed back and just make sure he has enough booze in him. LOL

We beat Cinci twice last year. Suisham went 14 for 15, and made 4x40+ yarders in a single game, one of which was the OT game winner, which Wikipedia says is an NFL regular season record. In what way does this "Stink"?

therooster45
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
I guess the real question here is, given our projected status as 20+ mil over the cap next year, and our gaping holes looming in the roster, why is Suisham even being discussed as an issue? With all the extreme "Need" slots on the team, Suisham is being bashed? Which draft pick should we devote to "Fixing" this?

Well that depends on whether B A is back? If he is we know that the Offense will never be any good in the red zone which means that we will rely heavily on the kicker to score 3. So if B A stays we should use the 1 pick for a kicker hahaha just kidding Suisham is inconsistant and lacks confidence in his own abilities but you are not going to use a high pick on a kicker.