PDA

View Full Version : Helmet 2 Helmet?

realdeal
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Did anyone notice the helmet to helmet hits during the SF/NO game? Why were those not flagged? Smith was sacked and hit helmet to helmet and one of the niners forced a fumble hitting a NO player helmet to helmet. Why no flags?

Sixburgher
01-14-2012, 09:19 PM
None of the players involved were named James Harrison.

Twentyvalve
01-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I noticed too, even in the NE Denver game there are plenty. I know there are some nuances in the application of the rules, but man there I would think at least one was callable.

During the NE game a player got nailed when a Denver defender basically speared him. At first the commentator stated it was a good hit or something like that, and then he stared to say something like " .... well, he lead with his . . . . " he never finished the sentence. It was like he knew he was not supposed to or the booth edited out. Crazy.

In a game two weeks ago, I cannot remember who was playing, there was a vicious helmet to helmet on a receiver in the middle of the field. There was a flag. The refs had a 30 second pow-pow. And do you know what they called? I am thinking it was roughing the receiver or something like that.

What? That was insane. That was a new one for me. That would be like calling a facemaks for a hold. This league is crazy.
Did anyone notice the helmet to helmet hits during the SF/NO game? Why were those not flagged? Smith was sacked and hit helmet to helmet and one of the niners forced a fumble hitting a NO player helmet to helmet. Why no flags?

Boomer
01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
None of the players involved were named James Harrison.

Amen :banging::banging:

stb_steeler
01-14-2012, 10:23 PM

Did you also hear the announcers say they cant believe it to, their just gonna let them play the game. GOODHELL got what he wanted......:chuckle:

Steeldude
01-14-2012, 10:30 PM

last week two broncos' players used their helmets to tackle, but of course no flags or fines.

TRH
01-14-2012, 10:34 PM
the refs are not calling fairly out there and the leagues not fining afterward fairly either (there doesn't have to be a flag during the game...it can be caught afterward and dished a fine later). Remember Ray Lewis's helmet-to-helmet earlier this year? No fine, no flag, no nothing.
I'm not saying it only happens to the Steelers because there's plenty of other instances throughout the league as well, but the above statement is absolutely true. There's just no consistency whatsoever, not even close.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
I did see the hit on Pierre Thomas and yes it should have been called h-t-h, but in the rules it stats that if the ball carrier is not defenseless than the h-t-h rule is taken out of place. Now I see that as bullshit because there is no point to making a rule if it does not apply to every situation. Thomas was hurt on the play and could not come back in the game. Goodell needs to be fired so bad (he makes Bruce Arians look like he is doing a good job at OC). It is just upsetting to see all of these personal fouls that other teams get and either they are not getting flagged for it or when they do they are not getting seriously fined like the Steelers players (James Harrison) have. I am not trying to whine and complain that the Steelers have it bad, but we do not play dirty once so ever and we barely get personal foul penalties

Eztarget
01-15-2012, 12:53 AM
That Pierre Thomas hit (and fumble) turned that whole game around. If the Saints score a TD there I think that's a whole different game.

jjpro11
01-15-2012, 01:14 AM
there's no doubt at all they target Steelers players more for these kinds of penalties.. it goes on in pretty much all sports.. if you're branded a reputation, whether deserved or not, the refs will comply to it. that's why some hitters in baseball get to bat with smaller strike zones, some reason some basketball players draw fouls easier than other players, same reason some hockey players get penalized easier than others and get more calls than others...

for the Steelers, the refs will flag them for every single borderline hit, because they just assume it's illegal because it's the Steelers. case in point, Harrison's absurd roughing the passer penalty last week that wasn't even fined. he only got penalized because he's James Harrison. same with that roughing call on Jason Campbell and Ryan Fitzpatrick last year, and the countless others. any time Clark makes a huge hit, he's going to get flagged. it's ****ing bullshit and ruins the game.

BengalDestroyer
01-15-2012, 08:11 AM

There were no Steelers on the field.

Lord of Lombardi
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
The entire league is turning into bullshitttt

It feels like these are the last days of football I hate to say it. The call on Osi Umenyora on a hit to Rogers tonight. Typical Suck ass ref call on a clean hit and I actually thought "Just let the league call a penalty on that hit" and low and behold, Gaydell's squad did just that. 17 points behind and the refs just had to put their name on the game.

1st half Jennings fumbled and the replay proved it 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt and the F-Up'd refs said it was no fumble. Damn Crotch rot refs!

I've never seen so much conspiracy crap going on wtih refs coming up and respotting the ball for no apparent reason, its as if they have the game planned.....

Replay sucks and if they don't get it fixed, it will get worse. And this bullsheet that they can just cover their asses and say "no true replay was available" They are not held to a higher standard. They need to have an "apology" of the week session. Too often the rules cover their asses. "We blew the whistle so all players had to stop playing and possession of the ball stays with the team that had it". In this day and age, both teams should play past the whistle on those plays where a turnover is occuring.

Game is crap, refs are crap, Godell can eat She-at Like it or not, the Gov't is now running the game that we once loved!

F-EM ALL

TRH
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
the officiating is SO erratic and unbalanced that i feel like you have to worry about ref incompetence actually losing you a game.....everytime you take the field. Yeah, you could make that argument about the same thing could happen in the past, but you never took the field with that in the back of your mind (as you do today)

tanda10506
01-15-2012, 10:06 PM
The Niners game was full of defenseless receiver and helmet to helmet hits. It was a great game and I enjoyed watching a defense be able to play defense again. The Niners D was playing how ours has the last few years, except this year. According to cry baby league rules though there could have been at least 5 penalties called for hits, but not a single one was. Although a guy on the Giants today hit Rodgers in the mid torso and got called for a blow to the head, even after replay showed Rodgers head was not touched by ANYTHING, not even close.

NoFieldFive
01-15-2012, 11:27 PM
That Pierre Thomas hit (and fumble) turned that whole game around. If the Saints score a TD there I think that's a whole different game.

I don't think a running back is protected. isn't it just the qb and a defenseless receiver who are protected?

plenewken
01-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Replay sucks and if they don't get it fixed, it will get worse. And this bullsheet that they can just cover their asses and say "no true replay was available" They are not held to a higher standard. They need to have an "apology" of the week session. Too often the rules cover their asses. "We blew the whistle so all players had to stop playing and possession of the ball stays with the team that had it". In this day and age, both teams should play past the whistle on those plays where a turnover is occuring.

Game is crap, refs are crap, Godell can eat She-at Like it or not, the Gov't is now running the game that we once loved!

F-EM ALL

The replay doesn't suck. What sucks is the refs looking at it and not overturning an obvious wrong decision, like on the no-called fumble by Jennings.
Remember what happened. One of the officials called the fumble. It was overruled by Leavy as being down by contact, challenged (rightfully so) by Coughlin and Leavy's ruling was confirmed after review. Even the NFL official interviewed during the game agreed that it was a fumble.
This had a big impact as it allowed Green Bay to tie the game 10-10 as opposed to trailing 17-3.
As for the helmet to helmet penalty on Rodgers, it was another joke.

I believe it's not the Govt who's running the game, it's Las Vegas.

Lord of Lombardi
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
The replay doesn't suck. What sucks is the refs looking at it and not overturning an obvious wrong decision, like on the no-called fumble by Jennings.
Remember what happened. One of the officials called the fumble. It was overruled by Leavy as being down by contact, challenged (rightfully so) by Coughlin and Leavy's ruling was confirmed after review. Even the NFL official interviewed during the game agreed that it was a fumble.
This had a big impact as it allowed Green Bay to tie the game 10-10 as opposed to trailing 17-3.
As for the helmet to helmet penalty on Rodgers, it was another joke.

I believe it's not the Govt who's running the game, it's Las Vegas.

So you comment that replay doesn't suck then make my point for me in your next paragraph saying "Coughlin challenged rightfully so" Uh,,,,,correct me if I'm wrong, they didn't rule that a fumble did they? Clear cut evidence proved that it was a fumble yes? So how does reply not suck if it does not reverse a call properly? Even if another ref changes the call on the field (How in the hell is that possible) IT SUCKS! The league now SUCKS! Every board has the same bitch and gripe!

Ok, for you Literal Be-atches, no I don't really mean our Gov't is running the NFL (Insert Plenewken here) The NFL Gov't Numb Nuts! but for you who know how to read between the lines, you know what I mean. Gaydell already has control of all fines, amts etc... Get used to it. Their is already talk of a 10 man crew as extra refs for next year's playoffs. Too many BS rules to keep track of. Refs blow.

Christian Snyder
01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
If the steelers would have done that, it would have looked like yellow confetti. Heck, the refs would've threw their shoes and socks as well after they ran out of flags.