PDA

View Full Version : It IS the Offense

SteelMusic
01-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I'll make this short and sweet....

We could hardly score against teams that we should have blown out this year.

Our Defense was Number 1 statistically despite the fact that the Offense couldn't score, turned the ball over and put the #1 defense on the field a ridiculous number of times this year.

Our Offense was outscored 20 to 0 in the second half of the Denver playoff game and only managed 38 yards.

The Offense held the ball longer than Denver but, we still could not score enough to win.

We managed 6.8 ypc compare to Denver's 3.9. However, we only rush the ball 23 and passed 40 times.

The worst part is that this isn't just a one time thing. This is what you expect from an Arians offense. You don't get rid of the coordinator of an "old, slow" defense that still ended up on top of the pile. But how can you justify having so much talent on offense but looking totally out of sync almost every down? :noidea:

Aussie Steeler
01-15-2012, 04:51 AM
So Denver scores 20 points in the second quarter** (not half) and it's on the offense? C'mon. The offense also didn't let an 80 yard touchdown in new-rule overtime to lose the game.

IMO, the defensive schemes we used left us really susceptible in the passing game as we focussed too much on stopping the run. Our d-linemen didn't do a good job of clogging the pocket and we missed a few plays which should've resulted in sacks and likely 3 and outs. And that play on overtime where Ike Taylor gets all the blame - that should be more on the defensive scheme. They need a TD to win and you play the safety that close to the line of scrimmage??? Just wow I don't get that.

pete74
01-15-2012, 05:00 AM
the defense played its worst game of the year against the worst QB in the NFL when we played Denver. as for our offense, Ben regressed this year just like Sanchez. he had a few good games early but didnt look as accurate and kept his eyes on one wr towards the end and thats why he had so many picks and so little TD's. we need a big WR and a new QB coach because Ben has way to much potential to have such a bad year. 21tds and 14int will cut it for a rookie but not a 2 time super bowl winning QB. Hell even Samchez threw 28tds this year

Rick5895
01-15-2012, 05:49 AM
So Denver scores 20 points in the second quarter** (not half) and it's on the offense? C'mon. The offense also didn't let an 80 yard touchdown in new-rule overtime to lose the game.

IMO, the defensive schemes we used left us really susceptible in the passing game as we focussed too much on stopping the run. Our d-linemen didn't do a good job of clogging the pocket and we missed a few plays which should've resulted in sacks and likely 3 and outs. And that play on overtime where Ike Taylor gets all the blame - that should be more on the defensive scheme. They need a TD to win and you play the safety that close to the line of scrimmage??? Just wow I don't get that.

You are right, to a point, the D didn't play well. However, we totally dominate the 1st Q, allow something like 10 yards, have the ball for something like 12 or 13 minutes and score 6 stinkin points. If we could actually score points the game wouldn't have been in doubt. Look at NE last night, how the offense played, we have better WR's, a very good TE and better backs (even with Redman) and can't score. NE forced Denver to play catch up, didn't let them hang around.
Our D had a horrible quarter and the OT TD was an awful defensive play call. But our last possession of regulation should have got us a FG. the defense did there job in the 4th and stopped the Denver O, gave the ball back to the offense with enough time to win the game, we marched down to the Denver 45 with 57 seconds and 1 timeout left. All we needed was 10-15 yards. The way Redman was running he likely would have gotten at least 10 yards on 2 or 3 carries. Plenty of time for that. But our brilliant OC (maybe Ben as well) decide to go for the home run ball. THAT MY FRIENDS IS ON THE OFFENCE. I am sick of every loss being blamed solely on the D. Sometimes , with the talent this offense has, they should be able to score more than 23 friggin points and carry us to a win.

steelfury02
01-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Will over skill - every single time.

Our Steelers have been in the mind set that if they just show up - the "inferior" teams will be intimidated. Too much emphasis on past successes and this "brotherhood" thing they have going on. Time to move on and get a killer instinct once again - no matter what or who is at risk of losing a roster spot.

Unfortunately, that SB XLV loss WAS the last chance for a lot of those guys - and now its time to let go. They aren't going to get back to the SB with the current makeup of the team.

Yesterday's performance by the 49ers is what a hungry team should look like. I applaud the Rooney's patience, however, the offense M_U_S_T prove it belongs with the big boys or some major changes have to happen and fast. The way I see it - we have about another 4 to 5 seasons at best with Ben and you damn well better make the most of it. The door has closed on some guys - but IMHO - the window is also starting to close on Ben.

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2012, 07:06 AM
You are right, to a point, the D didn't play well. However, we totally dominate the 1st Q, allow something like 10 yards, have the ball for something like 12 or 13 minutes and score 6 stinkin points. If we could actually score points the game wouldn't have been in doubt. Look at NE last night, how the offense played, we have better WR's, a very good TE and better backs (even with Redman) and can't score. NE forced Denver to play catch up, didn't let them hang around.
Our D had a horrible quarter and the OT TD was an awful defensive play call. But our last possession of regulation should have got us a FG. the defense did there job in the 4th and stopped the Denver O, gave the ball back to the offense with enough time to win the game, we marched down to the Denver 45 with 57 seconds and 1 timeout left. All we needed was 10-15 yards. The way Redman was running he likely would have gotten at least 10 yards on 2 or 3 carries. Plenty of time for that. But our brilliant OC (maybe Ben as well) decide to go for the home run ball. THAT MY FRIENDS IS ON THE OFFENCE. I am sick of every loss being blamed solely on the D. Sometimes , with the talent this offense has, they should be able to score more than 23 friggin points and carry us to a win.

:applaudit:

ty.
It's hard not to agree with most of the above.

This whole last season, basically, our Offense just could NOT put up the points.
The decision to play a very injured/crippled Ben since that 49'ers game to the end of our play-off run, (except for the Rams game) was another "nail" in our coffin.
Again, that bonehead health-decision was on Tomlin and Ariens - our Offensive Co-ord.
Of course it IS the Offense. and the first one to go should be Ariens' !

plenewken
01-15-2012, 07:14 AM
The way I see it - we have about another 4 to 5 seasons at best with Ben and you damn well better make the most of it. The door has closed on some guys - but IMHO - the window is also starting to close on Ben.

I don't see in Ben what I see in Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton, sorry. Ben's in the same league as Eli Manning, Flacco, Sanchez and Rivers.
The first 4 have something else that Ben and the 3 others don't have. Maybe if Ben was in better physical shape, it would be a step in the right direction? This should be easier than ask him to read defenses faster and to make better decisions.

As for our OC, it's hopeless. This bum should be fired NOW.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't see in Ben what I see in Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton, sorry. Ben's in the same league as Eli Manning, Flacco, Sanchez and Rivers.
The first 4 have something else that Ben and the 3 others don't have. Maybe if Ben was in better physical shape, it would be a step in the right direction? This should be easier than ask him to read defenses faster and to make better decisions.

As for our OC, it's hopeless. This bum should be fired NOW.

Ben Also does not Have a Line Like Brady Are Rogers and Brees does.. did you watch that game between the pats and denver??? Brady never hardly got hit if ben takes a 3 step back he already got slamed to the ground...theres a differents if you have an o-line that protects your QB just think if Brady are Bress had the Steelers o-line they would not be as great cause look what happen to Brees in the 49er game he did not look to good when someone was in his face the whole game.

Rockonsteel
01-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Ben Also does not Have a Line Like Brady Are Rogers and Brees does.. did you watch that game between the pats and denver??? Brady never hardly got hit if ben takes a 3 step back he already got slamed to the ground...theres a differents if you have an o-line that protects your QB just think if Brady are Bress had the Steelers o-line they would not be as great cause look what happen to Brees in the 49er game he did not look to good when someone was in his face the whole game.

And yet, he still managed to put up 30+ points, and that's in spite of turning the ball over 5 times. The one game this season when the Steelers D actually got multiple TOs (4)against the Chiefs, the offense again struggled to score 13 pts. This offense stinks. Period. And it starts with the guy calling the shots.

Rockon

Alsteel
01-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Didn't the broncos had 2 sacks with just a 3 man rush twice in that game ?
Tomilin needs to step in, ben is holding the ball too long. i rather waste a down
by throwing it away than getting sack losing crucial yardage.Tomlin should have
step in at the half of that bronco game tell DL his game plan scrap it.. It's all on
tomlin.

TRH
01-15-2012, 08:47 AM
wrong.

the offensive play calling has been horrible, at best, but their both to blame. I've been less impressed with the defense. Just watching the Pats game last night showed both preparedness and execution at a level much higher than us. LeBeau did NOTHING with it.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM
And yet, he still managed to put up 30+ points, and that's in spite of turning the ball over 5 times. The one game this season when the Steelers D actually got multiple TOs (4)against the Chiefs, the offense again struggled to score 13 pts. This offense stinks. Period. And it starts with the guy calling the shots.

Rockon

Was Bress Walking Fine?? i think he was cause i never see them walking like a zombie are something lol...and duh this offence sucks we just need a OC and a line and we would have a great offence and back to the line part Ben has never had great o-line and he has won 2 Super Bowls Rings ALMOST 3 rings just think if he had a great line.

zcoop
01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Was Bress Walking Fine?? i think he was cause i never see them walking like a zombie are something lol...and duh this offence sucks we just need a OC and a line and we would have a great offence and back to the line part Ben has never had great o-line and he has won 2 Super Bowls Rings ALMOST 3 rings just think if he had a great line.

I hear ya but Ben's had a pretty good O line until the end on this season. As another poster stated, he has to make better decisions with the ball and stop holding it longer that necessary. Those two Ints cost us the 3rd SB ring.

Without them the cheezheads lose. Ben's a vet (the leader) and he needs to step it up.

plenewken
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM

You mean Ben doesn't know his OL is weak? How many freaking seasons with awful red zone stats and 00s of sacks does he need to realize that what he likes to do doesn't work too well?
Does he need $150M instead of $100M to make better decisions? I know it's not entirely his fault, but he's definitely part of the problem. No ifs, ands or buts.

And don't give me this "he won 2SBs" BS. He almost cost us the 1st by playing awfully bad and he definitely is one of the main reasons we lost the last one he played in.

EbonySteel86
01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Didn't the broncos had 2 sacks with just a 3 man rush twice in that game ?
Tomilin needs to step in, ben is holding the ball too long. i rather waste a down
by throwing it away than getting sack losing crucial yardage.Tomlin should have
step in at the half of that bronco game tell DL his game plan scrap it.. It's all on
tomlin.

Thats my point. Ben holds the ball way to long waiting for the play to break down. Its not all on the O line. Brees, Manning, Brady dont ever, ever hold the ball that long. They read the D and hit the open guy inside of 3 seconds or less. Ben reminds me so much of Favre its scary, and Brett only got one ring before he finally called it quits. Ben also needs a running game if he's gonna get another ring. He would be more dangerous with a stout running attack. And the D would benefit alot more with a running game too. Tomlin has got to know this I would think.

Black N' Yellow
01-15-2012, 11:57 AM
You mean Ben doesn't know his OL is weak? How many freaking seasons with awful red zone stats and 00s of sacks does he need to realize that what he likes to do doesn't work too well?
Does he need $150M instead of $100M to make better decisions? I know it's not entirely his fault, but he's definitely part of the problem. No ifs, ands or buts.

And don't give me this "he won 2SBs" BS. He almost cost us the 1st by playing awfully bad and he definitely is one of the main reasons we lost the last one he played in.

But without him, we wouldn't be competitive in all 3 superbowls.

Anyone remember the days before Ben? Kordell Stewart? Tommy Maddox?

zcoop
01-15-2012, 12:47 PM

We were competitive with both, they just made some bad decisions. Maddox actually had a ring but decided to give the cowgirls one with the Ints to Brown. Kordell just didn't have a consistent D Coord.

Ben is making some of the same kinds of decisions as of late. He needs to step it UP!

steeltheone
01-15-2012, 01:02 PM
We were competitive with both, they just made some bad decisions. Maddox actually had a ring but decided to give the cowgirls one with the Ints to Brown. Kordell just didn't have a consistent D Coord.

Ben is making some of the same kinds of decisions as of late. He needs to step it UP!

Check your history...Neil O'Donnell WAS THE qb in the 95" Super Bowl not Tommy Gun.

Fire Arians
01-15-2012, 01:16 PM
the fact lebeau was signed so quickly but still no word on bruce arians coming back, hopefully is good news. meaning hopefully the rooneys say **** that to tomlin's 'both coordinators will be back'. lebeau coming back is fine, as long as arians is sent packing

zcoop
01-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Check your history...Neil O'Donnell WAS THE qb in the 95" Super Bowl not Tommy Gun.

My bad, I stand corrected. :drink:

plenewken
01-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Yeah I remember and it wasn't pretty but I expect more from a franchise QB paid $100M. He's got to get more effective.

Ricco Suavez
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Ben is the best QB we have had since Bradshaw, and could very well break all of Terry's records. Is he as good as Rogers, Peyton, Brady, or Brees? I say no he is not, and I am a hugh supporter of his. Now could Ben be as good with the coaching some of these guys have had, again I do not know, but, maybe with a Sean Peyton's offensive mindset, or Bellichek guiding him. I do know that Brady and Peyton can look very average if they have any pressure at all. I would love to see Ben step up his game and part of that could very well be changing OC. As far as Bens contract the front office signed up with the intention of getting his prime years locked in, as would another team would have if left unsigned. We may not appreciate Ben now but I can promise you with the exception of the four mentioned and maybe another 4 at best every other team would love to have our problem.

TRH
01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Ben is the best QB we have had since Bradshaw, and could very well break all of Terry's records. Is he as good as Rogers, Peyton, Brady, or Brees? I say no he is not, and I am a hugh supporter of his. Now could Ben be as good with the coaching some of these guys have had, again I do not know, but, maybe with a Sean Peyton's offensive mindset, or Bellichek guiding him. I do know that Brady and Peyton can look very average if they have any pressure at all. I would love to see Ben step up his game and part of that could very well be changing OC. As far as Bens contract the front office signed up with the intention of getting his prime years locked in, as would another team would have if left unsigned. We may not appreciate Ben now but I can promise you with the exception of the four mentioned and maybe another 4 at best every other team would love to have our problem.

If Arians would drop the 'bubble' screen and Ben would rely and hit quick slants as well as the TE being utilized much more heavily in the game plan scheme, Ben COULD be in those guys company.
Watch those guys. They've completely made themselves by perfecting the quick slant. Run 2 or 3 completions of those in a row, then all of a sudden you have wide open receivers farther downfield. Brady's perfected it. We could too. But instead, we have to "stay the course"
Hey, Arians......you listening? Why don't you try it? Afraid it might work?

Fire Arians
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
If Arians would drop the 'bubble' screen and Ben would rely and hit quick slants as well as the TE being utilized much more heavily in the game plan scheme, Ben COULD be in those guys company.
Watch those guys. They've completely made themselves by perfecting the quick slant. Run 2 or 3 completions of those in a row, then all of a sudden you have wide open receivers farther downfield. Brady's perfected it. We could too. But instead, we have to "stay the course"
Hey, Arians......you listening? Why don't you try it? Afraid it might work?

he tried it against the titans, it worked too well. ben threw for 5 TD's, so we decided to not do it anymore. arians 101

60_MINUTES
01-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Our Defense was Number 1 statistically despite the fact that the Offense couldn't score, turned the ball over and put the #1 defense on the field a ridiculous number of times this year.

Our Offense was outscored 20 to 0 in the second half of the Denver playoff game and only managed 38 yards.

The Offense held the ball longer than Denver but, we still could not score enough to win.

We managed 6.8 ypc compare to Denver's 3.9. However, we only rush the ball 23 and passed 40 times.

The worst part is that this isn't just a one time thing. This is what you expect from an Arians offense. You don't get rid of the coordinator of an "old, slow" defense that still ended up on top of the pile. But how can you justify having so much talent on offense but looking totally out of sync almost every down? :noidea:

I got news for you make sure your sitting down. It's NOT BRUCE ARIANS FAULT

Nope not his fault one little bit.. You see he cant control the fact that he sucks. Everyone on this board knows he sucks... You know he sucks.. The guy sucks period. But thats not his fault.. He cant fix it...

IT's TOMLINS FAULT

Mike said in the presser that he makes the decesions on the staff.. So there for its his fault.. Hell BA is doing the same things he has always done.. calling retarded plays and wasting talent.. Pure and Simple its Mike Tomlins Fault for keeping him

60_MINUTES
01-15-2012, 05:30 PM
If we cont to lose because of this kind of O Coord and we cont to blow away years of this kind of talent and the Rooneys keep MIke who cont to keep BA then its their fault.. If I were Mike Tomlin I would be worried about my job.. why he isnt who knows.. but keeping a guy like BA around tells me your not worried about your job at all.. He may think the rooneys will never get rid of him but if we keep having a number one D and we keep having a number 20 Off.... then you can bet your butt the rooneys will get rid of the tomlin BA connection if Mike cant make business decesions for himself..

Ricco Suavez
01-15-2012, 05:40 PM

I will agree our offense is not what it should be but as far as some of your statements I will have to disagree.

While we made plenty of turnovers and did not score TD like we should this offense controlled Time of Possession in nearly each and every game. Second while this offense did make turnovers our #1 defense did not produce any turnovers ranking dead last in the NFL.

As for the Denver game Redman broke several runs late for great yardage which did inflate the average, but from the second quarter on we played catch up. And while Redman had good runs he just did not have that homerun capability that we needed or he would have scored on at least maybe one of his breakaways.

For every fan who wants us to run more I read from another fan a post we need to be more like New Orleans or the Patriots, well you want those offenses you have to pass more and rely on the run less. I do not believe in this but a 40 pass to 25 run ratio is pretty balanced in todays NFL.

Ricco Suavez
01-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Scoring points is this teams problem. I do not know exactly what the issue is and I am not sure the Front office or coaches even can put a finger on it. This team moves the ball for the most part better than nearly every other team but they struggle mightily getting tounchdowns.

I took a look back at the past season and a few things come to mind.

First this offence controlled the game. We had five games all year (I did not count the Denver game but I am sure we did here too) where we did NOT have a time of possession advantage. This ranged from a high against the Patriots to a low the second Raven game. BTW we lost TOP in both of those games not to mention we lost TOP to the Rams also.

Second this team not only controlled TOP but had an advantage in all but two games as far as first downs. We came up short only to the Ravens in game two and to the Jaguars. We averaged 21.3 first downs to our opponents 16.5.

Third this team got no scoring help from the defense. Now before you blast me, listen. I did not go back and look at every time the defense caused a turnover giving the offense a short field, but I did look back and we had only one play on defense go for a score this year. Troy returned an int for a score against Indy in game three. This is not the norm for a Steeler's defense. Also not normal is being dead last in turnovers. In closing it IS NOT the defense's job to score but those are the type plays that usually can make or break a season not to mention big games.

Last, this offense did themselves no favors with untimely turnovers, penalities, and in general poor clock management as well as questionable judgement at some of the most intense moments.

I will close by saying that the Defense had the worst game all year against the Broncos, and while it may not appear to me, for at least this one game it was not the offenses fault. The offense was living on "borrowed time" as far as not scoring. And as to why they have so much trouble scoring is a mystery to me since they move the ball so well at times. Some will just point Arians, Ben, the O-Line, Tomlin or other factors. It may very well be it lies with all of them. I just know I hope this team can score more without sacrificing the ball control next year. I do not expect another fluke year where the defense is dead last in turnovers.

jiminpa
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Our D had a horrible quarter and the OT TD was an awful defensive play call. But our last possession of regulation should have got us a FG. the defense did there job in the 4th and stopped the Denver O, gave the ball back to the offense with enough time to win the game, we marched down to the Denver 45 with 57 seconds and 1 timeout left. All we needed was 10-15 yards. The way Redman was running he likely would have gotten at least 10 yards on 2 or 3 carries. Plenty of time for that. But our brilliant OC (maybe Ben as well) decide to go for the home run ball. THAT MY FRIENDS IS ON THE OFFENCE. I am sick of every loss being blamed solely on the D. Sometimes , with the talent this offense has, they should be able to score more than 23 friggin points and carry us to a win.It has to be the defense's fault. They are the team. How can you blame the offense, when they don't do anything constructive in the first place? The Steelers offense under Tomlin/Arians serves only to let the defense get a little water before they go back out on the field.

VegasStlrFan
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
It seemed like we had an abnormal amount of injuries on defense this year (big names), more than the offense. I don't remember having at least 9 starters close to 100% in any games this year.

JCPsteelers
01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Fix the god damn offensive line and the offense will get better.

I want this team to go out and go get a good free agent OL like they did when they brought in Hartings awhile back. Tired of seeing crap like Legursky, Foster, Kemo types starting. Even Max is a very weak LT.

Then get one in the draft (1st or 2nd round). Then we can finally have a talented OL for a change instead of starting guys from the scrap heap.

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Fix the god damn offensive line and the offense will get better.

I want this team to go out and go get a good free agent OL like they did when they brought in Hartings awhile back. Tired of seeing crap like Legursky, Foster, Kemo types starting. Even Max is a very weak LT.

Then get one in the draft (1st or 2nd round). Then we can finally have a talented OL for a change instead of starting guys from the scrap heap.

I agree its time to get the O line fixed... everyone is tired of this shit why the Steelers dont believe in having a line to protect BEN is behond me... Starks is a decent T though thats the only part I disagree with... up until the last couple of games he had played pretty much lights out over there

bornaSteelersfan
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
It seemed like we had an abnormal amount of injuries on defense this year (big names), more than the offense. I don't remember having at least 9 starters close to 100% in any games this year.

This is the exact reason you have to blame the offense. Sure, Ben was hurt, but they couldn't score when they needed to even when the majority of the offense was healthy. Don't give me the crap about the O-line. Ben often holds the ball too long and moves around back there, how long do they have to hold off the D with him running around pump faking?! Empty set backfields are especially stupid when we have a hobbled QB! Plus, no wonder we control the clock, Ben almost always waits until the last second to snap the ball; eating time off the clock and allowing the defenses to get a jump on him. Brucey boy MUST GO!

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
This is the exact reason you have to blame the offense. Sure, Ben was hurt, but they couldn't score when they needed to even when the majority of the offense was healthy. Don't give me the crap about the O-line. Ben often holds the ball too long and moves around back there, how long do they have to hold off the D with him running around pump faking?! Empty set backfields are especially stupid when we have a hobbled QB! Plus, no wonder we control the clock, Ben almost always waits until the last second to snap the ball; eating time off the clock and allowing the defenses to get a jump on him. Brucey boy MUST GO!

Your right about some of your points and especailly about Bruce but your Dead wrong about the line... Yes Ben holds the ball at times and all thats shit but time after time he gets hit in under 3 seconds.. we hardly ever have time for playaction.. the Line is terrible.. also against good teams we cant average 2 yards a carry... thats not BENs fault.. Bruce is the main problem but if we dont address the Line we are idiots..

By the way how many other teams go into a season with 4 out of 5 guys as 4th and 5th round guys up front.. Yes I know there are walk on FA that turn out good but FOR ****S SAKE

bornaSteelersfan
01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Your right about some of your points and especailly about Bruce but your Dead wrong about the line... Yes Ben holds the ball at times and all thats shit but time after time he gets hit in under 3 seconds.. we hardly ever have time for playaction.. the Line is terrible.. also against good teams we cant average 2 yards a carry... thats not BENs fault.. Bruce is the main problem but if we dont address the Line we are idiots..

By the way how many other teams go into a season with 4 out of 5 guys as 4th and 5th round guys up front.. Yes I know there are walk on FA that turn out good but FOR ****S SAKE

I agree the O-line is not the best and they were "filling holes" all season (or not filling holes as the case may be). I will say one more time that Ben waits to long before calling for the snap. That is a fact, ask anyone. If he simply calls for the snap a little early sometimes, we get the defense off-sides or not ready more often. He even waits too long in his so-called "hurry up offense". That is on Ben. Pump fakes and being a bit too tentative at times as well as not throwing the ball away when he really should (which is why he got injured in the first place) is also on him.

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 09:46 PM
lli

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
cant you ban the ****er

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 09:51 PM
I agree the O-line is not the best and they were "filling holes" all season (or not filling holes as the case may be). I will say one more time that Ben waits to long before calling for the snap. That is a fact, ask anyone. If he simply calls for the snap a little early sometimes, we get the defense off-sides or not ready more often. He even waits too long in his so-called "hurry up offense". That is on Ben. Pump fakes and being a bit too tentative at times as well as not throwing the ball away when he really should (which is why he got injured in the first place) is also on him.

I agree man.. I cant stand when he waits til one second before he snaps the ball.. of course you would think a coach would tell him to quit the shit

bornaSteelersfan
01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
The other problem was stated last summer by James Harrison himself about Ben: "Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
The other problem was stated last summer by James Harrison himself about Ben: "Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ainít that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.Ē

Yeah but thats going to far and was out of line... Peyton got one ring to BENs 2... yeah Ben is not like peyton brees and some but they are also not like him.. he gets it done in a different way.. if he had any O coord at all he would be top 5 of all time IMO.. but reguardless BEN is a Elway kind of guy... Hes a Steeler kind of QB.. everytime he holds the ball to long and we yell at him he turns around the next play and makes a guy like T suggs look like a piss ant while making a game winning throw... I take the good with the bad when it comes to ben.. and so far.. 3 superbowl visits in 6 years.. with terrible line play and the worst o coord in the game... well that anit bad... one last thing about harrison...

How about the game saving and winning drive BEN got us against the Cards... that was every bit as big as any drive in the history of the game... I believe Mannings big drive ended on him throwing a pick 6 in the superbowl didnt it... Id say a drive like that deserves to get paid...

Dont get me wrong I love Harrison and he usually brings it. but last years superbowl he never even played tag with Arron Rodgers... yeah BEN lays an egg sometimes but so does Harrison and Harrison was out of line with his comments plain and simple

bornaSteelersfan
01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I agree Harrison was way out of line with that comment, but there is something to be said about Ben throwing picks. I love Big Ben and wouldn't have any other QB in the league. We just have to know that he has his shortcomings.

60_MINUTES
01-16-2012, 10:11 PM
I agree Harrison was way out of line with that comment, but there is something to be said about Ben throwing picks. I love Big Ben and wouldn't have any other QB in the league. We just have to know that he has his shortcomings.

Right.. in other words there is room to improve... I just would love to see what he could have or i hope will become with someone like a Norv Turner showing him what its really all about... man if someone would help show him the light the sky would be the limit

zero1
01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
They have an elite QB, a good TE, a good RB group, and one of the most talented groups of wide receivers in the league and they finish 21st in points (tied with the Hasselbeck lead Titans whose RB completely disappeared this season and barely ahead of the Seahawks who were lead by Tavaris Jackson). Is the bad offensive line the reason? Is Arians the reason? Do they need to find a bigger receiver/tight end that they can utilize inside the red zone?

They need to figure out a way to score once they get in the red zone. There is no excuse, with all the talent on offense, that they are not a top 10 scoring team in the league.

bornaSteelersfan
01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
I'd like to see Ben spend more time being a student of the game. For years now, he has seemed to goof around in the off season. Now that he is married (I am sure last season he spent a summer dealing with "bridezilla"), maybe he will spend more time watching film and learning to read defenses.

bornaSteelersfan
01-17-2012, 12:30 AM
I also think Ben would be better off with a new QB coach. He has had Randy Fichtner for 5 years, now and hasn't adapted or changed one bit. With Randy maybe going back to Memphis, we could get him a new coach. I wonder what Joe Montana is up to....

plenewken
01-17-2012, 07:00 AM
I'd like to see Ben spend more time being a student of the game. For years now, he has seemed to goof around in the off season. Now that he is married (I am sure last season he spent a summer dealing with "bridezilla"), maybe he will spend more time watching film and learning to read defenses.

It wouldn't hurt if he could also shed some weight. He doesn't move as fast as he used to.

madtowndrunkard
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
If we were going to fire Arians, why haven't we done it already?

We were quick to bring DL back. Arians is not under contract for next year? Could this be another case of the FO not telling the fans or media what's going on? Maybe Arians was given an extension and they chose not to make it public so the fans / media don't go crazy....we can all have a cool off period before we find out Arians is still our OC?

Maybe Tomlin is giving Arians time to mull retirement? I heard rumors that Arians thought about retiring not that long ago.

Either way I find it strange that the FO has not already announced the return of Arians if he is coming back. I have yet to hear one person give Arians a voice of confidence.

60_MINUTES
01-17-2012, 08:35 PM
If we were going to fire Arians, why haven't we done it already?

We were quick to bring DL back. Arians is not under contract for next year? Could this be another case of the FO not telling the fans or media what's going on? Maybe Arians was given an extension and they chose not to make it public so the fans / media don't go crazy....we can all have a cool off period before we find out Arians is still our OC?

Maybe Tomlin is giving Arians time to mull retirement? I heard rumors that Arians thought about retiring not that long ago.

Either way I find it strange that the FO has not already announced the return of Arians if he is coming back. I have yet to hear one person give Arians a voice of confidence.

Im holding out hope as well.. I still have seen no artilce with 100 percent conformation that BA is coming back... U never know so Im holding out hope thats for sure... At this point its really not personal. Our O should be top 5 in the league period.. with our talent there is no question what so ever about that

EbonySteel86
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Im holding out hope as well.. I still have seen no artilce with 100 percent conformation that BA is coming back... U never know so Im holding out hope thats for sure... At this point its really not personal. Our O should be top 5 in the league period.. with our talent there is no question what so ever about that

Exactly!!! I know our O line ain't the greatest, but it ain't holding us back THAT damn much! Ben needs to read defenses better and for Christ sake BA give Ben and tuning game!!!!!

tanda10506
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
If Arians is back nothing will change. Unless the FO calls in Arians and says "start throwing the ball in the 0-10 yard range. No more passes for -5 and slim way down on the passes past 25. And run the damn ball sometimes." If he is mentally capable he will respond and it will look as if we have a new OC, but that is so unlikely that I don't bet on that. Arians is an idiot and does the same garbage every year no matter how unsuccessful it is, he's likely not to change, so if Arians is back, we will have the same offense we had this year. Rooney does seem unhappy with him, let's hope he releases him. As for the question of why we haven't done it already, it's because we haven't done anything yet. That doesn't mean we are going to get rid of him or not, but we haven't, at least publicly made any decisions. Yes Arians said he would be back after the playoff loss, but it might not be his choice.

I don't feel Ben has many "short comings", and most of them are largely based on the O line and Arians. The interceptions are due to him not studying defenses. On NFL Network they showed a thing on the Pats, and it was unbelievable how much time Brady spent just reading the defenses on game tape, and he was right every time he called something out. I think that's what has held Ben back to this point. I don't know what he does in the off season or Monday through Saturday during the season, but I think he would drastically cut down on the interceptions if he studied more. There is a reason, with the exception of this season, that Ben is better against the Ravens and better in the playoffs. Is it will and ice water in the veins, to some point I'm sure, but I am willing to bet he studies the Ratbirds and whoever he is playing in the next playoff game a lot more than he studies for most regular season games. I know it's just speculation, but it makes sense.

60_MINUTES
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
After reading what Rooney said today.. we may have our wish... Looks to me like BA will Retire.. and if he dont and Tomlin brings him back and we lose again with poor offense play then Tomlin may cash his last check next year.. If I were Mike Tomlin I would read what rooney said very close

BKAnthem
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Thats sounds like Arians is being Nudged out the Door and Rooney is putting it out there himself so Tomlin doesn't have to deal with it...Hell with his Oline comment Kugler may not be far behind...

Steelerfreak58
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Offense scoring TDs was horrible this year. Lots of drives stalled because of OL penalties, false starts, holding, Komeatu losing his mind and pile driving into some down player...

The biggest problem I saw was going for the long bomb way too often instead of chipping away working for first downs. That and the team did horrible adjusting at half time this year.

Defense didn't do that great in a lot of clutch situations. Gave up a lot of 3rd and long conversions all year. Couldn't stop Baltimore with 2:24 left on the clock and 92 yards to go. That one drive really changed the entire season for them. Defense did very little adjusting at half time as well.

Both sides of the ball did not make adjustments well and that is on the coaches. Lots of work to be done for next season to be sure.

therooster45
01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Oh brother 1 The O line sucks with the exception of Pouncey and he cant stay healthy. 2. Arians is an idiot. 3. Tomlin isn't much better than Arians. 4. We can not score TDs in the Red Zone 5. Ben can not hit Wallace in stride 6. Tomlin and Arians share 1 belief and that is "If it works quit doing it"

Lets start with number 2 seeing that number 1 is self explanatory, BA a. uses to many formatioons with too few options i e each formation has a max of 3 plays they run from it and it doesnt take a superb D to figure out which play of the three they are going to run. need to have fewer formations and more options per formation i e New England. b. Doesnt have the personnel on the O line to punch it in consistantly and doesn't have the intellegence to a. figure it out or b. devise plays that utilize the strengths he has. 3. MT If you have watched him on the sidelines you have noticed expecially in the Denver game that he doesnt question or point out penalties that are not being called i e not one holding penalty called against the Broncos when there were numerous ones that had big impacts on plays in the open for everyone to see and not called. MT always uses his signature replies to questions when he doesnt know the answer or cant figure out the question i e it is what it is. 4 covered with BA explaination. 5. Remember Bens first season? What did he do that kept the opponents D off balance? He threw short quick passes expecially slants and made a living doing it the first year 13 - 0 in the regular season. Just imagine if he still did that with the receivers we have!!!! the YAC would be crazy and just when they key on the short quick passes Wallace goes deep and burns them this also sets up the run because the LBs and DBs are on their heels defending the short quick pass and bam Redman up the middle. Oh wait we can't do that! Why? Because it worked for us and nobody stopped it BA just took it out of the playbook. or Ben just wants the highlight passes ( he should learn to hit Wallace in Stride)
The short Quick passes also take a lot of the burden off the O-Line. as a result Ben takes less hits and stays healthier. Oh how easy it gets when everyone else is succeeding at what we can't but we refuse to change, Oh yeah thats MT at work it is what it is, I could name 31 better OCs and at least 20 better HCs . But I know lets blame Dick because the Dline isnt much better and the LBs have been playing hurt

LayingTheWoodley56
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
the defense played its worst game of the year against the worst QB in the NFL when we played Denver. as for our offense, Ben regressed this year just like Sanchez. he had a few good games early but didnt look as accurate and kept his eyes on one wr towards the end and thats why he had so many picks and so little TD's. we need a big WR and a new QB coach because Ben has way to much potential to have such a bad year. 21tds and 14int will cut it for a rookie but not a 2 time super bowl winning QB. Hell even Samchez threw 28tds this year

How can you possibly compare Ben to Mark Sanchez? Ben is firmly entrenched as the franchise quarterback here after completing his 8th season, while Sanchez just had two serviceable years followed by a very lackluster one for a .500 team that has put his job in jeopardy, possibly as soon as next season. Ben is not going anywhere, and I don't think there is a soul on this board who would suggest otherwise. He was having a fine season until he got hurt, and that screwed him for the rest of the year. Ben is one of a handful of franchise quarterbacks in the league. Sanchez is not even close. Sanchez threw 28 TDs for an 8-8 team. Ben threw 21 for a 12-4 team with no real running game to speak of. Why don't we just go out and take Sanchez off the Jets' hands, maybe even trade them even up? Ridiculous. Sanchez should never have been mentioned in this thread.

PS. Sorry to get worked up. I live in New York, so this is a pretty sensitive topic for me haha

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
How can you possibly compare Ben to Mark Sanchez? Ben is firmly entrenched as the franchise quarterback here after completing his 8th season, while Sanchez just had two serviceable years followed by a very lackluster one for a .500 team that has put his job in jeopardy, possibly as soon as next season. Ben is not going anywhere, and I don't think there is a soul on this board who would suggest otherwise. He was having a fine season until he got hurt, and that screwed him for the rest of the year. Ben is one of a handful of franchise quarterbacks in the league. Sanchez is not even close. Sanchez threw 28 TDs for an 8-8 team. Ben threw 21 for a 12-4 team with no real running game to speak of. Why don't we just go out and take Sanchez off the Jets' hands, maybe even trade them even up? Ridiculous. Sanchez should never have been mentioned in this thread.

PS. Sorry to get worked up. I live in New York, so this is a pretty sensitive topic for me haha

I agree with you man.. BEN is a 2 time superbowl champ one of the best in the game and should go down as one of the top 10 or 15 in the history of the game.. to even mention mark S name is completely off