PDA

View Full Version : How now, Bill Cowher?: Suddenly, coach leaving future with Steelers open

SteelersMongol
06-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Wow, I didn't know it was this serious. I'm gonna post it here, just in case you missed it.

=========================================
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/06/28/bc.fbn.steelers.cowher.ap/index.html
=========================================

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Coach Bill Cowher will take his 15th Pittsburgh Steelers team to training camp in one month. The question now is whether there will be a 16th season -- or a 17th or an 18th.

With the Super Bowl champions' vacation time dwindling down to weeks instead of months, Cowher -- who has two seasons left on his contract -- has not signed an extension despite offseason talks between the team and his agent.

Asked recently how many more years he would coach the Steelers, Cowher said, "I'm taking it year by year" -- an answer he had never given before.

Previously, the Steelers have never allowed the man with the third most victories among active NFL coaches go into any season with fewer than two seasons left on his contract. They signed him to an extension even after the Steelers missed the playoffs for three consecutive seasons from 1998-2000, and Cowher's next team went 13-3 and reached the AFC championship game.

But, for the first time in the career of only the second Steelers coach in the last 37 years, circumstances are different.

First, the Steelers have won the Super Bowl that had eluded them for 26 years and Cowher for the first 13 seasons of a career that saw his teams reach six AFC championships game before he won the NFL title.

Cowher had long called not winning the Super Bowl "the void" that had always been there in his career and now it's gone.

Second, Cowher -- one year away from age 50 -- has begun to show signs that he might be getting weary of the nearly year-around grind of being an NFL coach and is looking toward retirement.

Cowher has always said he planned to coach the Steelers until his three daughters graduated from high school. Two daughters, Meagan and Lauren, are now varsity basketball players at Princeton, while the third, Lindsay, will be a high school sophomore.

However, unlike her two older sisters, Lindsay apparently will not finish her scholastic basketball career at Pittsburgh's suburban Fox Chapel High School. Cowher and wife Kaye recently purchased, through a trust set up by his agent's company, a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C.

Cowher's wife and youngest daughter apparently plan to live there this fall so Lindsay can attend school and play basketball there. Bill and Kaye Cowher both graduated from North Carolina State and have long planned to live there after Cowher's coaching career ended. They also own a summer home on the North Carolina coast where they were staying the week of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident.

While the Cowhers purchased the home last fall, news of the transaction did not break until after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. It caught the Steelers by surprise, since Cowher had not given any signs of moving from the $900,000 home in Pittsburgh that he bought shortly after being hired in 1992.

With a big new house located out of state and no new contract, Cowher may be looking beyond Pittsburgh and the Steelers. And what the Steelers don't know is if Cowher might be inclined to coach a team other than theirs, perhaps after he tried retirement for a year or two in his early 50s and decided he wanted to coach again.

Also, the Steelers likely must pay substantially more for a coach than they ever have before if they are to re-sign Cowher. His current contract is worth about $4 million, but Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren's recent deal raised the bar for upper-tier coaches to the $7.5 million to $8 million range -- about double what the Steelers are paying Cowher.

The Steelers have the same policy with coaches as they do players, and that means no contract talks once a season begins. Should Cowher not get an extension before the Sept. 7 opener against Miami, the Steelers face the possibility of going into the next offseason with Cowher in the final year of his contract.

Team president Art Rooney II has said only that the Steelers want to get a new deal done before the season starts.

With a 141-82-1 record, Cowher ranks 14th in NFL history in coaching victories.

clevestinks
06-29-2006, 06:03 AM
This is one fan that says "Please Stay Cowher"

section514
06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
i am not worried, i thin wiz or grimm could handle it

X-Terminator
06-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Personally, I think it's all a ploy by Cowher to get the same contract that Holmgren got, because I can't see him walking way from $7-8 million per season, no matter how much "the grind" gets to him.

nicesteel4life
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I would have to say he is "priming the well"
If the Steelers want to pay him HUGE...He will Stay!
If the Steelers dont want to pay him ....He will retire for a few!
Com'on He deserves it either way

LambertLunatic
06-29-2006, 10:50 AM
This is one fan that says "Please Stay Cowher"

This story is pure speculation by a reporter with nothing to write about. I wouldn't worry about it too much. When Cowher does decides to retire. though, I can't see Mr Rooney trying to talk him out of it. Cowher is a great coach, but once he decides to retire, that means that he lost that fire in him. Without that burning desire, Bill Cowher would be an ineffective coach.

BlackNGold203
06-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I think this is a pivotal year for Cowher....

How much does he have left in the tank???

If we repeat...is that enough for him??

Wiz stayed for a reason...I do believe he is being primed as the next HC

Atlanta Dan
06-29-2006, 12:10 PM
This story is pure speculation by a reporter with nothing to write about. I wouldn't worry about it too much. When Cowher does decides to retire. though, I can't see Mr Rooney trying to talk him out of it. Cowher is a great coach, but once he decides to retire, that means that he lost that fire in him. Without that burning desire, Bill Cowher would be an ineffective coach.

I agree this latest Cowher story (which does nothing but repeat what has been discussed in the Pittsburgh media for months) is one that is written by a reporter with nothing to write about.

Of course, with the Internet, sports talk radio, ESPN & the NFL Network, lots of folks have nothing to write or talk about but need to fill up the available space.

The story of "will the defending SB champs coach retire?" is such an easy deafult subject on a slow news day that we will be hearing about it constantly unless/until Cowher signs a new contract. If no contract is signed, we then will start hearing "is Cowher's uncertain status a distraction?" stories.

This is one subject I will attempt to tune out.

SteelersMongol
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
If Mr. Holmgren is getting $7 million, I think our coach deserves at least the same amount. But why buy the house in CA? Why won't he wait until something is done? Is it like that trick Alexander was playing during the Pro Bowl by wearing Panthers hat, when there was a talk about his salary between him and the Seahawks? :bouncy:

Haiku_Dirtt
06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
About a month ago I did a 180 on Cowher as HC. This is his last year. DO I want to see him go? HELL NO!

BUT if he thinks he is giving less than 110% then even he knows it's time to pass the torch. This is one case in which I don't think it's about negotiation.

Sharkissle29
06-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Personally, I think it's all a ploy by Cowher to get the same contract that Holmgren got, because I can't see him walking way from $7-8 million per season, no matter how much "the grind" gets to him.
i would say that, but the Cowhers moving to NC makes me wonder....

SteelersMongol
06-30-2006, 02:14 PM
i would say that, but the Cowhers moving to NC makes me wonder....

Wasn't the CALI's governator talking about getting some NFL teams in CA little while ago? :bouncy: Does it have something to do with that? :busted:

BTW, there was one article about estabishing two new conferences in NFL, including Europe and Mexico, Canada, and California. I was gonna ask you guys if anyone has seen it. If you know where it's at, could you post it here as new thread. I thought it was really interesting.

Lyn
06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
It would not shock me if he quits after another year or two. He's a hard working guy who has achieved a rare level of success in his field (no pun intended). His youngest kid will be out of the house in a few years and he is thinking about his future. That event will certainly be stressful for the Steelers Nation, but it was when Emperor Chas left and things worked out. :)

NV STEELERS 723
06-30-2006, 05:33 PM
I would hate to see Cowher go too...I don't think he will...now that we have a QB that doesn't throw it to the other team, we have a chance to be the team of the 2000's!

GO STEELERS!

Haiku_Dirtt
07-01-2006, 05:19 AM

Normally I would say "yeah!" But not now. Cowher can leave the NFL for 3-5 years to watch his kids. Good for him... why not!

I'm on record here. Cowher will come back to the NFL in Carolina with ownership if Fox can't get it done.

He'll never get a slice of the STeelers. Elsewhere?

Call me crazy but the plan is in place. And Art II is going with Whiz.

83-Steelers-43
07-01-2006, 05:41 AM
First, while the negotiation ploy is debatable, I still can't help but think that the relationship between Cowher and the Rooney's is more open and understanding, meaning Cowher would not need some type of "ploy" in order to get that bigger paycheck. I think both parties are pretty much open when it comes to communication and contract situations. Personally, I don't feel it's a ploy on Cowher's part.

Second, this guy has been coaching for a long time and yet, he's still young. The coaching business takes a toll on a man. I would not be surprised to see Cowher "take a break", not "retire" for a period of time. On that note, if he wins the Super Bowl during this upcoming season then he may stick around for another year to try for three in a row.

Third, I still think Whiz is going to fill the role of HC. Just a hunch.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Wiz stayed for a reason...I do believe he is being primed as the next HC

WiZ didn't have a choiceby the time the S.B. was over, all the H.C. worth taking were gone.
Very few coaches get a piece of any team and I seriuosly doubt Cowher would want a part of any other team,even if he is coaching.

I also doubt Wiz will be next Coach here, Rooney's won't promote from with in. THey'll pull a name out of nowhere like Cowher was. Noll certainly had qualified assts. and none were chosen. IMHO

Stlrs4Life
07-01-2006, 10:25 AM
This subject is getting old. It is the media once again, jumping to conclusions cause they have nothing else to write about.

Big D
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Let me be the devils advocate here without being nailed with negative rep points are be backlashed for this post.. How many of you wanted to throw Cowher under the bus before the 04 season. How many of you were b!tching about why he couldnt win the big games and held him responsible for the few losing seasno we had under cowher. I've been a die hard steeler fan my whole life. But at times the past 15 years I have had seveal questions on cowher. Once again i'm being devils advocate. I have nothing but appreciation for what he has done for the steeler organization. All i'm saying is how many fans talked nothing but smack about him before the superbowl and wanted change. I look forward to watching Cowher on the sideline this year and hopefully the next few years.

Big D
07-03-2006, 03:18 PM
but all in all I think cowher is doing this for contract leverage

BlitzburghRockCity
07-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Dont sweat this comment everyone. Bill loves the Steelers and his home is here. As long as the front office will have him, he'll be around. He's got his championship now he can just coach without the stress of that monkey on his back.

Im taking it year by year is a typical answer you'll get from just about anyone. He doesnt want to assume anything and he knows he'll get his contract when the time is right.

83-Steelers-43
07-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I think Bill's gonna retire and go in the shrimpin' buisness. You can blitz it, drop two back on it, Polamalu it, Porter it......

Bubba Cowher's Shrimpin' Business
Raleigh, NC

tony hipchest
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
......foote sammiches, foot gumbo, ike salad, sautee deshae.....

83-Steelers-43
07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
......foote sammiches, foot gumbo, ike salad, sautee deshae.....

Nice, nice.....

Kreider Crab Cakes.......Polamalu Popcorn Shrimp

tony hipchest
07-03-2006, 04:23 PM
tomato is the fruit of the sea. theres plenty of things you can do with tomato. theres hines ward.... heinz field......the "competition cant" ketchup....

Black@Gold Forever32
07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Well, if Bill Cowher does retire after this year or in two years. I think he has earned the right to choose when he wants to retire. He did finally win the one for the thumb. Player and coaches come and go. Thats part of the game. I'm sure alot of Steelers fans didn't think that Chuck Noll could be replaced. Trust me I'm not saying Cowher is better a coach, then Chuck Noll. But Bill Cowher has kept up the legacy and standard that Chuck Noll put in place.

So if Cowher does retire I'm confident that the Rooney family will find a very good replacement just like they did when Chuck Noll retired.

tony hipchest
07-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, if Bill Cowher does retire after this year or in two years. I think he has earned the right to choose when he wants to retire. He did finally win the one for the thumb. Player and coaches come and go. Thats part of the game. I'm sure alot of Steelers fans didn't think that Chuck Noll could be replaced. Trust me I'm not saying Cowher is better a coach, then Chuck Noll. But Bill Cowher has kept up the legacy and standard that Chuck Noll put in place.

So if Cowher does retire I'm confident that the Rooney family will find a very good replacement just like they did when Chuck Noll retired.the steelers tradition itself coud lure the best of coaches if we need a replacement.

nicesteel4life
07-03-2006, 06:36 PM
The replacement is already there......just think about it.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
The replacement is already there......just think about it.

Well yes we have some good coaches waiting in the wings like Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt. But the Rooney's would explore all options when looking for a replacement. I wouldn't mind Whisenhunt or Grimm. But Bill Cowher hasn't retired yet so really I havn't gave this topic much thought.

ben2hines=6
07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
i think i can def see cowher retiring if we repeat but if not he aint goin anywhere for atleast a couple more years

X-Terminator
07-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Normally I would say "yeah!" But not now. Cowher can leave the NFL for 3-5 years to watch his kids. Good for him... why not!

I'm on record here. Cowher will come back to the NFL in Carolina with ownership if Fox can't get it done.

I'm not that pessimistic. If Cowher retires, it will be for keeps - I do not see him coming back, even with another team and no matter how much money he is offered. To do what you suggest would be a slap in the face of the Steelers organization, the Rooneys and the fans - yes, even the ones who wanted him fired as early as last November ;) I'd like to think he has more respect for them than that.

First, while the negotiation ploy is debatable, I still can't help but think that the relationship between Cowher and the Rooney's is more open and understanding, meaning Cowher would not need some type of "ploy" in order to get that bigger paycheck. I think both parties are pretty much open when it comes to communication and contract situations. Personally, I don't feel it's a ploy on Cowher's part.

Second, this guy has been coaching for a long time and yet, he's still young. The coaching business takes a toll on a man. I would not be surprised to see Cowher "take a break", not "retire" for a period of time. On that note, if he wins the Super Bowl during this upcoming season then he may stick around for another year to try for three in a row.

Third, I still think Whiz is going to fill the role of HC. Just a hunch.

I do think that their relationship is stable too, but remember back a few years ago, when he signed his current contract. There was a lot of buzz around the city and the league that he was thinking of leaving the Steelers then if he didn't get the contract he wanted, one that would make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league at the time. And a few weeks later, voila - he got his contract. That's why I believe this is another negotiating ploy to get that huge payday. I don't care how much stress he's under as a head coach - when money talks, you better believe he'll be listening.

However, if he does leave in the next few years, I also believe Whisenhunt will take over as HC. That's why he did not take the Raiders job.

Elvis
07-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I know this may not make alot of sense to alot of people but In My Oppinion Only... I think the Steelers are gonna have a new coach within the next few years. I think that it is gonna be Russ Grimm our OL coach. They resigned him last year or the year before just for the reason they think he will be a great head coach. They paid him alot of money to keep him here to replace Bill. I dont want to see Bill go but Russ might be the best man in the organazation to replace him.
God Bless
Elvis