PDA

View Full Version : Ike and giving up the big play

steelerchad
01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Ike Taylor has easily been our best corner since Woodson left. He's had some very good seasons, and I believe had another one this year. Yet, in the biggest losses, in the biggest situations in recent memory, he's come up short.

He obviously got abused last week in Denver and then gave up the game winner in OT.

But he also had a rough day in the SB and gave up the game clincher. The 3rd and 10 with about 5 minutes left with the Steelers down by 3 points. Had we stopped that play, we get the ball back with plenty of time, momentum, and only needing a FG. But instead, the ball gets over his head for a huge play.

08 SuperBowl. He gives up a 50 + yard catch and run to Fitz with 2 minutes to play and the SB on the line.

I think Ike's good, just not sure he's clutch in the big spots. Maybe it's nerves. Maybe the situations are just too big for him. Maybe that's why he can't catch either.

Fire Arians
01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Ike Taylor has easily been our best corner since Woodson left. He's had some very good seasons, and I believe had another one this year. Yet, in the biggest losses, in the biggest situations in recent memory, he's come up short.

He obviously got abused last week in Denver and then gave up the game winner in OT.

But he also had a rough day in the SB and gave up the game clincher. The 3rd and 10 with about 5 minutes left with the Steelers down by 3 points. Had we stopped that play, we get the ball back with plenty of time, momentum, and only needing a FG. But instead, the ball gets over his head for a huge play.

08 SuperBowl. He gives up a 50 + yard catch and run to Fitz with 2 minutes to play and the SB on the line.

I think Ike's good, just not sure he's clutch in the big spots. Maybe it's nerves. Maybe the situations are just too big for him. Maybe that's why he can't catch either.

and in the 2nd ravens game, he got burned by torrey smith. if smith catches that ball, ike's the goat instead of gay. there's been other instances where ike got burned and the wr either dropped the ball or the qb missed a wide open target. ike's a good cb but he's no shutdown/probowl corner.

steelerchad
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
and in the 2nd ravens game, he got burned by torrey smith. if smith catches that ball, ike's the goat instead of gay. there's been other instances where ike got burned and the wr either dropped the ball or the qb missed a wide open target. ike's a good cb but he's no shutdown/probowl corner.

Forgot about that one, but you stating that made me remember the Stevie Johnson wide open drop from last year. I believe that was Ike also. If Johnson makes that catch, we lose and likely end up a wildcard and may not have made the SB.

OX1947
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
All corners get burned every now and then, the two big ones for Ike this year just happen to be in the 2 biggest games of the year, and cost the Steelers home field advantage and a deep playoff run. Is it all on him? No. But if he doesn't get burned on those two plays, who knows what might have happened.

The shitty thing about this whole thing is the Steelers could have won it this year now that the Saints and Packers are out. Saints and Packers in the dome would have been very hard, they would have had a really good chance to beat the giants or the niners in Indy.