PDA

View Full Version : Rooney: Steelers face "tough" salary cap decisions

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
This from the P-G this afternoon

The Steelers must make some "tough decisions" in the coming weeks as they tackle what club president Art Rooney said is "probably as big an issue as we've had to face" regarding the salary cap.

The Steelers are about $25 million over a salary cap expected to be around $124 million per team next season and must erase that excess by March 13. That obviously could involve some of their older and more recognized players but Rooney would not speculate on whether certain players, such as Hines Ward and James Farrior, would return in 2012....

Rooney, in a candid 30-minute interview this afternoon, touched on a number of subjects, some of which have not been broached previously.

Among them:

-- Ben Roethlisberger needs to take fewer sacks as he turns 30.

-- Rooney said that a few coaches also are considering retirement, but would not say which ones.

-- As for some of the negatives: "We need to take fewer sacks,'' need to be more consistent on offense, need to do better than No. 21 in scoring, need to come up with more sacks and turnovers on defense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204097-100.stm

I might hope that Arians is "considering" retirement but that is just a dream unless AJR II "encourages" BA to spend more well deserved time with his family

PhantomJB93
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
One good thing is he made signing Mike Wallace to a long term deal sound like one of their top priorities.

stb_steeler
01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Looks like some one finally realizes how important it is to protect the QB.
Time to make room for some young blood.

tony hipchest
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
i think its safe to say kirby wilson may need a year of treatment and grafts. wasnt he the lead "in house" successor if arians called it quits?

so did rooney really say we need to score more points, or be more efficient in scoring? because in bruce arians mind theres a big difference between the 2. :hunch:

steeltheone
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
One good thing is he made signing Mike Wallace to a long term deal sound like one of their top priorities.

Steelers have never broke the bank for a wideout, i don't see them changing now.

stb_steeler
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
i think its safe to say kirby wilson may need a year of treatment and grafts. wasnt he the lead "in house" successor if arians called it quits?

so did rooney really say we need to score more points, or be more efficient in scoring? because in bruce arians mind theres a big difference between the 2. :hunch:

Rooney just realized they cant win with being 21st in offense lol

stb_steeler
01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
He called the Steelers' 29-23 loss on the first play of overtime in the wildcard playoff game at Denver "the worst ending to a playoff game" he has experienced. He said, however, that injuries were not to blame.

Rooney been around a long time, i find it hard to believe this was the worse ending he has ever seen in a playoff game.....Hmmm
Maybe he really is thinking change!

TRH
01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
some pretty tough and strong words from the usually evasive Rooney. Nice interview. Some thoughts i took away from it.

- take "fewer sacks". That could mean anything from new, stronger faces on the line to Ben locking down in the pocket like Brady and perfecting the slant pass (which goes into the coaching staff - and feeds into the new modern offenses).

-making Wallace a top priority....i think they'll have a go at signing him but i think they'll stop short of backing up 10 Brink's trucks which i'm guessing his agent will be pushing for. Should be interesting.

-we may finally see the likes of Farrior, Foote, Aaron Smith, Hines, etc go, which i'm all for.

-Even though LeBeau has mentioned coming back, i'm guessing he's at least thinking of the retirement

-the "no sacks" and "no turnover's" was nice to hear him mention. He must feel very strong about this. That one drove me crazy, especially the "no sacks" the last part of the year. They're not going to tolerate that.

-And the biggest thing, since he hinted at it more than once, was the low-scoring offense. It's a new league now, not your dad's league anymore, and the Steelers must be a part of it. I'll bet Tomlin is completely having to go to bat for Arians at this point.....sounds like Rooney is none too pleased and although he doesn't mention it specifically, you can bet Arians is not his favorite guy right now.

plenewken
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks like some one finally realizes how important it is to protect the QB.
Time to make room for some young blood.

"Take fewer sacks" is not for the OL, it's for Ben. The OL doesn't take sacks.

I like what I hear from Rooney. Let's hope Arians wants to retire and nobody asks him to stay.

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 05:07 PM
This - combined with the fact that Lebeau's return was made definite, but not anyone else's - bodes well for those of us hoping and praying for Arians' departure. Other than Mitchell, who else has contemplated retirement? Arians. That's it, so far as I know.

Bolstering our hopes is the by-now well-understood fact that you cannot take fewer sacks in a Bruce Arians offense. His numbers since 2007: 47, 49, 50, 43 and 42. And the scoring ranking was a direct jab at Bruce. No other way to read it.

There is hope. :hope:

TRH
01-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Well, when the defenses are running right through them the OL is most certainly taking sacks.
There were 2 instances last week when Denver had only 3 on the whole front line....thats right.....3......and they were on Ben in 2-3 seconds. Twice. That should be an instance when a QB has ALL DAY back there to throw in these prevent situations.

Ricco Suavez
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
The lack of the Defense in creating turnovers and the fact that our Offense made more than usual was a top concern of mine. The sack total can be trimmed by Ben changing his "style", but this line has been very bad for the last five years. When a team like the Broncos can send only three and strip your QB before he completes his drop back is a sure sign of a porous line.

I do not think we have to score like a NO or NE but if we could score TDs instead of FGs and not have as many drives stall because of penalties, turnovers , or mistakes and if we just score some FGs in the place of missed drives, we should score well, but better yet we would still control the game clock resting our Defense and keeping opposing Offenses off the field. While shootouts are exciting, in the end if you lose a 45-44 game still counts as a loss 2-0, I want to see balance in our offense and I want some balance between offense and defense.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
He called the Steelers' 29-23 loss on the first play of overtime in the wildcard playoff game at Denver "the worst ending to a playoff game" he has experienced. He said, however, that injuries were not to blame.

Rooney been around a long time, i find it hard to believe this was the worse ending he has ever seen in a playoff game.....Hmmm

Rooney did not say worst playoff loss (IMO the loss of the '76 Steelers, the best Steelers team of all time, to the Raiders with Franco and Rocky hurt qualifies as the worst loss) but the "worst ending."

Hard to say what could be a worse "ending to a playoff game" than losing on the last play of the game on an 80 yard TD pass to start OT - only Steelers loss with a wose ending arguably is Neil O'Donnell throwing incomplete to Barry Foster on 4th and goal to end the home AFC championship loss to the Chargers:banging:

Of course if injuries were not to blame (Clark would not have been out of position like Mindy on the last play) then I guess that play was due to the defense called (by LeBeau)

OX1947
01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Steelers are fine with talent and they will continue to build more through the draft as well as get a couple of key free agents like they always do. In consecutive drafts they got an all world center and a very good Right Tackle. Can not ask for more then that in consecutive seasons. However, decision making from Big Ben, to Mike Tomlin to Bruce Arians is the issue. It starts with Big Ben. His cowboy playing style was great and is great when it works but it cost this team a possible deep run because he hurt his ankle in that worthless Cleveland game by running around for 15 secs, dude, just throw the ****ing ball aaway sometimes. His decision making needs to improve and Mike Tomlin needs to be the one to COACH him to do so.

Big Ben will be going into his 9th year. Steve McNair hit the wall in his 10th year. Big Ben mirrors McNair's career almost to a T from an injuries standpoint. Big Ben and Tomlin need to decide whether they want to have a few more years left together to win titles or 5 more.

Steelers have a great team here, they just need to be smarter and think of the big picture. I do not fault Tomlin for playing Big Ben in the niner game, I didn't fault him for those kind of decisions. because if they win, he is a genius, if they lose, he is dumb. Its the basic decisions like protecting your franchise player and making sure you limit his injuries as best you can while playing well. Is it asking too much? Well, that's why they pay you the big bucks, to figure that shit out. If it were easy, anyone would do it. We just know it needs to be done.

tanda10506
01-17-2012, 05:59 PM
-- As for some of the negatives: "We need to take fewer sacks,'' need to be more consistent on offense, need to do better than No. 21 in scoring, need to come up with more sacks and turnovers on defense.

Taking fewer sacks is on Ben, Arians, and the O line. Ben can not be limited to the pocket, we need the big plays that he makes, but the MAJORITY of the time we need him reading quick and pocket passing like he did against the pats this year. That is about half on Ben and half on Arians. That said, you can't help but think Rooney was also talking about the O line, it has to be addressed. As for our defense not getting sacks and turnovers, it's clear we won't win like that. We were the #1 defense but it never felt like it and that's why. This defense could have truly been #1 but not getting any turnovers means the defense stays on the field longer, which means there are more chances to get beat. The sacks were not good and the lack of overall pressure was even worse. Woodley and Harrison played well and got sacks when they were healthy, but even in games where Woodley or Harrison would get sacks, the rest of the game there would still be ABSOLUTELY ZERO pressure on the QB. Pressure will lead to turnovers, turnovers and sacks will lead to actually being #1.

-- He called the Steelers' 29-23 loss on the first play of overtime in the wildcard playoff game at Denver "the worst ending to a playoff game" he has experienced. He said, however, that injuries were not to blame.

That's pretty bad, but it's probably true. The supposed #1 defense getting burnt for the 5th or 6th time by a poor QB in the playoffs in OT, I can't think of a worse playoff finish.

-- Rooney said that a few coaches also are considering retirement, but would not say which ones.

LeBeau said he was coming back, the last thing he told the team was to come back expecting to win a SB next year, I don't see him retiring. Is it Arians? I think our QB coach, O line coach, and OC could all "retire" and we would be better off. Let's hope it's one of them.

-- No question, Rooney said, that wide receiver Mike Wallace "will be one of the priorities" this year. Wallace becomes a restricted free agent March 13.

Interesting. As mentioned we don't usually break the bank for a WR, but Rooney seems very unhappy with the offense. Losing your fastest, deep threat receiver definitely doesn't increase your chances of having a better offense next year.

I've always had confidence in the FO as far as drafting and contracts go. However, this is the first year in the Tomlin era that I actually am confident that we will make the necessary changes, or at least some of them. First off, if Arians were to retire (he's not going to) or if he were to be released/demoted (unlikely), the offense would automatically be better. I doubt it will happen as far as that goes, but I am confident that the team will at least actually address the problem by talking to Arians. Honestly, I don't think Tomlin has even told Arians that his offense doesn't work. If the FO and Tomlin just get serious and tell Bruce, "Hey this is garbage, fix it, and stop blaming the players for lack of execution when the plays are poor from the get go. Get rid of the majority of the bubble screens and start getting serious about routes that will allow Ben to release it quickly." This year I'm confident they (FO, Tomlin, Rooney) will at least have that talk. It's just good to hear from the top that they want to change things. This defense was not really #1, but if the offense would have at least been #10 instead of #21 then we still would have had a good shot at winning it all (although injuries still might have prevented that). I don't think #10 is asking too much when you have a top 5 QB and possibly the best WR corp in football. Overall, it's just refreshing to see that, from the top, things are being looked at correctly and changing the problems have at least been mentioned.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
There is big reason we are so high over the cap...Its cause if one players has a couple good games in a row they get the biggest deal in NFL history. Although I think that Troy Polamalu is amazing he will be turning 31 and is nearing the end of his All-Pro days, but we still gave him a huge contract. James Harrison is going to be 34 and also got a huge contract. They need to stop giving our older players big deals because the way we draft they can easily be replaced (except Troy). Woodley, Ben, and Timmons are really the only ones who needed an extension. But I can't complain that they gave 2 All-Pro players extensions, it just finally caught up to us and it will be sad to see some of our older players go, but thats the name of the game

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
The only coaches currently working for us who have ever mentioned retirement are Mitchell and Arians (after his short bout with cancer.) The only other ones in retirement range, vaguely speaking, are James Daniel and Al Everest, both of whom did fair to good jobs this year.

TRH
01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

I like what I hear from Rooney. Let's hope Arians wants to retire and nobody asks him to stay.

also, i think its pretty safe to say that the sacks are a combination of Ben's style and our offensive line getting manhandled.
I think that comment was more directed toward the offensive coaching staff than anything.
Brady and the other elites have all perfected the quick slant pass. This in turn helps receivers and tight ends get open farther downfield on subsequent plays. That in turn helps Brady be able to stand back there for what sometimes seems like forever without pressure.
We need to perfect that and the coaching staff has to make that happen and make it a priority. The good news is that Ben is able to do that.
Easy lesson for Bruce Arians.
Bubble screens = NO (lose it...)
The quick slant = YES

lipps83
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
If Arians does retire, the city of Pittsburgh should hold a retirement party downtown and play "I Got A Feeling....Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl" on some loudspeakers repetitively.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
This - combined with the fact that Lebeau's return was made definite, but not anyone else's - bodes well for those of us hoping and praying for Arians' departure. Other than Mitchell, who else has contemplated retirement? Arians. That's it, so far as I know.

Bolstering our hopes is the by-now well-understood fact that you cannot take fewer sacks in a Bruce Arians offense. His numbers since 2007: 47, 49, 50, 43 and 42. And the scoring ranking was a direct jab at Bruce. No other way to read it.

There is hope. :hope:
so should i put the champagne on ice and make a guest list ? ...:noidea:

tanda10506
01-17-2012, 07:12 PM
so should i put the champagne on ice and make a guest list ? ...:noidea:

Lol, I was thinking that myself. My neighbor and I are HUGE fans but have been begging for Arians to be released for a long time, as most of us on here have. Can you imagine seeing 1 or 2 bubble screens a year instead of per quarter? What's funny is we have the fastest WR in football and we have the best blocking WR in football who is also one of the slowest in the game, but when we throw the screen we throw it to the slow guy and leave our fast guy, who has been criticized for poor blocking, to block. It is like a Saturday Night Live skit, but the joke is on us. Damn it would be nice if he leaves. I will at least have a drink to it.

Sixburgher
01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Bolstering our hopes is the by-now well-understood fact that you cannot take fewer sacks in a Bruce Arians offense. His numbers since 2007: 47, 49, 50, 43 and 42.

And the 46 sacks in 2006? Those on Arians too?

fujirama24
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I've tried to crunch the numbers and the players that I think will get cut are. A. Battle, Will Allen, B.McFadden, Aaron Smith, C Kemoatu, L Foote And Hines but I think he will be resigned. And I beleive either one of these guys go or they will have to restructure there contracts. Casey Hampton, James Farrior and James Harrison.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Pretty much what I would call not changing the current offense and expecting less sacks with an increase above mediocrity in the number of points scored in 2012

Art Rooney is not insane. If he wants change and knows the QB is not going anywhere that might indicate what may change

ricardisimo
01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
No, but all that means is that he already had evidence going into the job that there was an issue, largely involving his franchise QB's playing style and decision-making skills, and he has failed utterly in correcting the problem. Not only has he failed in honing Ben's skills and extending his career, but he has done so with no compensating positives. Our offense has never been on fire, nor has it ever even been steady, reliable or consistent one week to the next, nor shown any qualities whatsoever which would lead one to say "You know, Ben's taking a beating week-in and week-out, but at least we're X, Y and Z on offense."

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I've tried to crunch the numbers and the players that I think will get cut are. A. Battle, Will Allen, B.McFadden, Aaron Smith, C Kemoatu, L Foote And Hines but I think he will be resigned. And I beleive either one of these guys go or they will have to restructure there contracts. Casey Hampton, James Farrior and James Harrison.

I definitely agree that most of those guys will be cut just because they either old or they are just flat out turrble now (Charles Barley voice), but i think that Farrior and Hines are definitely willing to come back for cheap. Farrior is still a great ILB and is a genius. He is a big reason Harrison can be Harrison, Woodley can be Woodley, and why Troy can be Troy. He is great in pass defense and is exceptional run stopper. Hines may not have the speed and agility he used to have, but he has gained power. The screen plays dont work to any other receiver except Hines, I think he will definitely reconstruct his contract because he said he would. As for Hampton I think that we will finally cut ties with him just because of the torn ACL, there are many DT's in the FA's and I would not be surprised if the Steelers signed a good young DT along with drafting one.

tony hipchest
01-17-2012, 07:37 PM

aside from the braindead qb that season, didnt we shitcan all the coachespartially and ultimately responsible for those 46 sacks? (cowher, whiz, grimm, qb coach)

hmmmmm.... :tap:

Fire Arians
01-17-2012, 07:39 PM
on the bright side, firing arians isn't a decision that affects the salary cap. good that rooney isn't satisfied with the offense. maybe this is the year it finally happens? one (or majority of steeler nation) could hope.

steeltheone
01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
I definitely agree that most of those guys will be cut just because they either old or they are just flat out turrble now (Charles Barley voice), but i think that Farrior and Hines are definitely willing to come back for cheap. Farrior is still a great ILB and is a genius. He is a big reason Harrison can be Harrison, Woodley can be Woodley, and why Troy can be Troy. He is great in pass defense and is exceptional run stopper. Hines may not have the speed and agility he used to have, but he has gained power. The screen plays dont work to any other receiver except Hines, I think he will definitely reconstruct his contract because he said he would. As for Hampton I think that we will finally cut ties with him just because of the torn ACL, there are many DT's in the FA's and I would not be surprised if the Steelers signed a good young DT along with drafting one.

Farrior is no longer a "great" Linebacker...Have you not been watching this year?

TRH
01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Farrior is no longer a "great" Linebacker...Have you not been watching this year?

i agree. It's time for him to go.

Some may think of him as a good "coach" and thats fine....but thats an option for the near future if that opportunity would somehow present itself for him.

TRH
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
as for Ben and the sacks.....one of, if not the main reason there's so many is the play style called.

You run more quick slants (which all the elites do) efficiently, you reduce the sacks. Simple. Our play scheme currently has him standing in the pocket, which he eventually bails out on. This sits squarely on the offensive coordinator to not call those type of plays.
Rooney words are strong. If Arians is staying, look for the play-calling book to change and fast.

tony hipchest
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
i think ben is at a point in his life where he can embrace more practice and in depth study, instead of
man wh0ring.

maybe design some run blocking and passing schemes. mix in some roll outs, and when he's healthy, even some qb draws, and roll outs like alex smith busted out on the saints. a health ben is still more than capable of executing that.

tanda10506
01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Farrior and Hines are definitely willing to come back for cheap. Farrior is still a great ILB and is a genius. He is a big reason Harrison can be Harrison, Woodley can be Woodley, and why Troy can be Troy. He is great in pass defense and is exceptional run stopper. Hines may not have the speed and agility he used to have, but he has gained power. The screen plays dont work to any other receiver except Hines, I think he will definitely reconstruct his contract because he said he would.

I would bet they are both willing to restructure, this is really the end of their careers and nobody else is going to give them more money, plus they are true Steelers. I would agree to signing them for the vet minimum, but just because we sign Farrior doesn't mean we should start him. As far as him being a genius, he definitely knows defense, but he's physically incapable of guarding ANYBODY. To say he is great in pass defense is to say McFadden is great in in pass defense. I know it sounds harsh, but Farrior is the most obvious weak spot in our pass coverage, much like McFadden was last year, it's now common place to watch him try to chase down a TE that just burnt him and is on the way to big yardage. I do think he is still good against the run, but Sylvester and Foote looked pretty decent in the Pats game compared to what we were used to seeing from Farrior. It sucks, I love the guy, but it's pretty much over for him, ESPECIALLY now that the league is pass happy. As far as the screen play goes with Hines, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, joking around, or if you were serious. First off the play needs to be abolished, Terrell Suggs has had more success in one game with the bubble screen then we've had in many seasons combined, it's horrible. Even if it was a great play, one play is no reason to keep a player past his prime. I'd like to see us keep Hines, especially with Mike Wallace disappearing the second half of the season and Cotchery being a FA, but he has to restructure, which I think he will.

James Harrison, may restructure, but I doubt it, and he won't be released nor will he retire over it. If he doesn't restructure we will pay him and start him next year, it's not really an option, he's the best OLB in football. I agree on Hampton and Farrior having to restructure, but I do think they both will be gone. I do think Hines will restructure and be back. The rest of them can go and I would LOVE if we added Johnathan Scott to that list. It will be sad to see Smith go but really he's been gone for years, but Battle didn't work out for us, Kemo sucks, and McFadden is as much of a CB as I am.

60_MINUTES
01-17-2012, 09:48 PM
This from the P-G this afternoon

The Steelers must make some "tough decisions" in the coming weeks as they tackle what club president Art Rooney said is "probably as big an issue as we've had to face" regarding the salary cap.

The Steelers are about $25 million over a salary cap expected to be around $124 million per team next season and must erase that excess by March 13. That obviously could involve some of their older and more recognized players but Rooney would not speculate on whether certain players, such as Hines Ward and James Farrior, would return in 2012....

Rooney, in a candid 30-minute interview this afternoon, touched on a number of subjects, some of which have not been broached previously.

Among them:

-- Ben Roethlisberger needs to take fewer sacks as he turns 30.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204097-100.stm

I might hope that Arians is "considering" retirement but that is just a dream unless AJR II "encourages" BA to spend more well deserved time with his family

Hell yeah baby... Im not sure if some of you need lessons on reading between the lines but BA is gone... gonna retire... you can mark it down

Rooney said

Ben Roethlisberger needs to take fewer sacks as he turns 30.

-- As for some of the negatives: "We need to take fewer sacks,'' need to be more consistent on offense, need to do better than No. 21 in scoring

Im not sure he could put it any more clear than this... thank goodness.. its not a personal thing for me anymore it really is just a business thing.. 21 in scoring with this talent... you have got to make a change

tanda10506
01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
i think ben is at a point in his life where he can embrace more practice and in depth study, instead of
man wh0ring.

I agree. The Pats make me sick as do the Saints, but I watched 2 shows on NFL network, one on the Saints and one on the Pats. The work Brady and Brees put in is how it should be for any NFL QB. Brady is a good decision maker and a quick release passer, but after watching that show, I think it's less of his physical abilities and more his mental situation that brings his success. He knows where everybody is on the field and he can even tell, in this case the example was Ray Lewis, exactly where a player is going to go based off of stance and the depth that they are at. He also could tell where each defender was going to go based off the formation. That stuff does not come just from playing a lot of games, that comes by studying, studying, and studying the 6 days that you don't have a game, and not taking your mind off of football the entire off season. I'm not going to speculate on what Ben does, and he obviously knows how to read defenses, but not like Brady and after watching that it really makes me wonder if the difference is the work put into it. I don't want a Brady on this team, don't misunderstand me, but I think Ben is capable of having those type of numbers if he applies himself more.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=tanda10506;985691]I would bet they are both willing to restructure, this is really the end of their careers and nobody else is going to give them more money, plus they are true Steelers. I would agree to signing them for the vet minimum, but just because we sign Farrior doesn't mean we should start him. As far as him being a genius, he definitely knows defense, but he's physically incapable of guarding ANYBODY. To say he is great in pass defense is to say McFadden is great in in pass defense. I know it sounds harsh, but Farrior is the most obvious weak spot in our pass coverage, much like McFadden was last year, it's now common place to watch him try to chase down a TE that just burnt him and is on the way to big yardage. I do think he is still good against the run, but Sylvester and Foote looked pretty decent in the Pats game compared to what we were used to seeing from Farrior. It sucks, I love the guy, but it's pretty much over for him, ESPECIALLY now that the league is pass happy. As far as the screen play goes with Hines, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, joking around, or if you were serious. First off the play needs to be abolished, Terrell Suggs has had more success in one game with the bubble screen then we've had in many seasons combined, it's horrible. Even if it was a great play, one play is no reason to keep a player past his prime. I'd like to see us keep Hines, especially with Mike Wallace disappearing the second half of the season and Cotchery being a FA, but he has to restructure, which I think he will.

I agree that they are True Steelers and thaty they most likely couldn't get a better deal. But Farrior looked turrble in pass coverage cause he had the nagging calf injury all season. I still think that if the Steelers do not draft an ILB that Farrior will start and do a damn good job haha. And I was actually being serious with Hines being good at the screen player. That play should definitely be taken out of the playbook, but Hines always gets at least 8 yards on it. I see them reconstructing their deals because they know that they can still play and they know they can coach as well.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-18-2012, 01:01 AM

Because the current Rooney is not the veritable, elder statesman (literally-- he is the ambassador to Ireland now) that was in charge of the Steelers when they won IX, X, XII, and XIII under Chuck Knoll.

This is the younger Dan Rooney Jr.....

tony hipchest
01-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Because the current Rooney is not the veritable, elder statesman (literally-- he is the ambassador to Ireland now) that was in charge of the Steelers when they won IX, X, XII, and XIII under Chuck Knoll.

This is the younger Dan Rooney Jr..... his name is actually Art Rooney II (dans son and current "president" of the team).

as stated in the article, it seems dan rooney will resign as ambassador of ireland next season, and return where he rightfully belongs.

i think his national civic duty has been fulfilled, and he deserves to come home to the team and life he loves.

FWIW the younger elder statesman (art II) has been around this team longer than most of us fans.

Bayz101
01-18-2012, 02:48 AM
his name is actually Art Rooney II (dans son and current "president" of the team).

as stated in the article, it seems dan rooney will resign as ambassador of ireland next season, and return where he rightfully belongs.

i think his national civic duty has been fulfilled, and he deserves to come home to the team and life he loves.

FWIW the younger elder statesman (art II) has been around this team longer than most of us fans.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_777108.html

DanRooney
01-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Doesn't matter what Art Rooney says. I remember last year in the offseason he was talking about running the football more. What the hell happened to that? We did the exact opposite.

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Doesn't matter what Art Rooney says. I remember last year in the offseason he was talking about running the football more. What the hell happened to that? We did the exact opposite.

Well they may not have done what he said but if you take last year we need to run the ball and this year we have to get better in scoring etc... I would say it marks the end for BA and if Tomlin brings BA back and we are average again.. It marks the end for Tomlin. If I were Tomlin I would be paying attentiion to what the man that signs my check says

BKAnthem
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM

That's Why I think Arians is about to "Crenneled" again, The Rooneys are believers in former OC Ron Earhardts mantra; "Throw to Score, Run to win"

Sixburgher
01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Well they may not have done what he said but if you take last year we need to run the ball and this year we have to get better in scoring etc... I would say it marks the end for BA and if Tomlin brings BA back and we are average again.. It marks the end for Tomlin. If I were Tomlin I would be paying attentiion to what the man that signs my check says

Yes, I'm sure Tomlin and Rooney haven't discussed this at all behind closed doors and the only mention of it has been in cryptic quotes by Rooney to the press that many fans have taken great liberty in reading what they want into.

Sixburgher
01-18-2012, 08:41 AM

What the owner says matters a bit more than what you or I or anyone else thinks.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Bouchette has posted the transcript of his interview with AJR II - this nugget was not included in the yesterday's article regarding the interview and puts the issue of potential coachng retirements in context

The coaching staff, I don't expect any major turnover on this coachign staff. We think we have a good staff. That's not to say there won't be any turnover. We have guys on the coaching staff who have talked about retiring, are senior

type guys and I know Mike is going through the process of having those conversations as we sepak. But I'm not expecting wholesale changes on the staff.

(Doesn't want to say who).

-- Expect coordinators back?

ROONEY: At this point, yeah.:banging:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114441-ed-an-interview-with-art-rooney

TRH
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I like how he said "he thinks the coaches did a good job". Not a great job...not an excellent job.
Yeah, thats reading a bit into it, but still.....

FrancoLambert
01-18-2012, 12:11 PM

This is the younger Dan Rooney Jr.....

Can't believe it..... after all these years Chuck NOLL is still dissed...... on a Steelers site.......he is not and was never Chuck (Knox) KNOLL!! :doh::doh:

DanRooney
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
What the owner says matters a bit more than what you or I or anyone else thinks.

Apparently not.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/iron_city_ap/rLRML.jpg

ricardisimo
01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Well, that's depressing.

Sixburgher
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Apparently not.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/iron_city_ap/rLRML.jpg

If Rooney truly wanted him gone, he'd be gone.

ricardisimo
01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
If Rooney truly wanted him gone, he'd be gone. That's how ownership works.
That's how it works in Oakland, Buffalo, Washington, etc. Once again, there are pluses and minuses to the Rooney's patience and Tomlin's obsession with continuity and chemistry. You take the good with the bad.

TRH
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
That's how it works in Oakland, Buffalo, Washington, etc. Once again, there are pluses and minuses to the Rooney's patience and Tomlin's obsession with continuity and chemistry. You take the good with the bad.

One reason Arians is still here is that we're winning. We've been to 2 Super Bowl's in the last couple years and (somehow) eaked out a 12-4 record this year. I don't fault Tomlin for sticking with him, i can see why in a lot of respects.
But this time, its truly been exposed. We're not scoring points, protecting our QB, and we've become the most predictable team in the NFL (the announcers are starting to call our plays before they happen as well as fans at home) and its gotten so bad, not only the football press is calling it out, but team ownership as well. That's a big deal.

The fans know it, the team's owner knows it, and Tomlin definitely knows it too.
If Arian's doesn't go, i would have to believe there will at least be big changes to the playbook.

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 05:03 PM

I dont think so... dont get me wrong the Rooenys are good people and much better owners than all others however this idea that they will stick by you no matter what... I dont think so.. Chuck Noll won 4 superbowls and kick the shit out of a lot of teams in most non superbowl years.. we played in the AFC championship game 83 -84 season before we starting losing.. Of course we lost a few years before the change was made but the guy was a 4 time superbowl winner and back in those days coaches were kept for the most part and give 5 years or so to turn things around.

Bill Cowher had the best record in football during his time and although we kept coming up short we also packed the stadium every game until the end of the season.. that of course === money coming in to the rooneys pockets.. Cowher had the three season in a row thing where we didnt suck but we were rebuilding for sure 98 99 00 and in those years there was talk by crediable people that the rooney were gonna make a change if Cowher didnt turn it around.

Bottom line is look at how dominate we have been with not only Noll but Cowher as well...thats why its easy for the everyone to say the Rooneys stick by you

Now Tomlin has not started out very bad either thats for sure.. however when an Owner says he doesnt like something and the coach continues to back that something then you can bet your ass if it dont get fixed that coach is on the hook... Rooneys being the owner or not.

Last point.. if Tomlin dont make the change with BA.. and we cont to be below average and near the bottom of the league in points.. with this kind of talent and the rooneys paying BEN and now about to pay wallace and the others big money... you can bet your ass Tomlin will not get a free pass.. So either Tomlin gets this O in the top 5 with BA or he makes the change.. if he continues to do nothing Tomlin will go if the steelers dont go thats for sure

Again pepole that seem to thnk the Rooneys will sit back year after year and do nothing need to look at it like this.. If we start losing because of bad O play you can bet your ass the Staidum will not be full towards the end of years.. nor will we host any playoff games.. If the Rooneys start losing that money for a couple years in a row and nothing changes as we keep losing doing the same dumb shit then trust me they will roll heads if the money leaves

ricardisimo
01-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Noll left because he was done and knew it and wanted out. Had he wanted to stay around another 5-10 years it may well have happened. It would have been awkward, but it may have happened. Cowher left because he wanted out, mostly to do with his wife's health. Had he wanted to stay, he would have stayed another 10-20 years... who knows how long?

How does this prove that the Rooneys would pull the trigger over staffing issues?

Sixburgher
01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Noll left because he was done and knew it and wanted out. Had he wanted to stay around another 5-10 years it may well have happened. It would have been awkward, but it may have happened. Cowher left because he wanted out, mostly to do with his wife's health. Had he wanted to stay, he would have stayed another 10-20 years... who knows how long?

How does this prove that the Rooneys would pull the trigger over staffing issues?

Dan Rooney fired his own brother in 1986, mainly because his scouting went to hell, and the team's roster at the time reflected it. If he can fire a family member, I believe he would pull the trigger and pull rank on Tomlin without hesitation if he felt Arians was doing that poor of a job and was as hopeless of a case as an offensive coordinator as many here make him out to be.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2012, 06:41 PM

I agree Cowher could have stayed but FWIW it is my understanding Cowher wanted out because after 15 years as HC and coming off a Super Bowl win he wanted to receive Belichick-like $$ as HC and the Rooneys would not pay up (it was pretty clear Cowher was leaving during the 2006 season when the team got off to a 2-6 start and there were no hugs between Cowher and AJR II at the farewell press conference in January 2007)

His wife may have had something to do with his departure but not due to health (she was not diagnosed with melanoma until early 2010). Cowher's wife moved back to Raleigh with his non-college age daughter before the 2006 season and Cowher was Bachelor Bill in Pittsburgh that season - the deal may have been the Cowhers were going back to Raleigh after the 2005 season and his wife followed through.

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I agree Cowher could have stayed but FWIW it is my understanding Cowher wanted out because after 15 years as HC and coming off a Super Bowl win he wanted to receive Belichick-like $$ as HC and the Rooneys would not pay up (it was pretty clear Cowher was leaving during the 2006 season when the team got off to a 2-6 start and there were no hugs between Cowher and AJR II at the farewell press conference in January 2007)

His wife may have had something to do with his departure but not due to health (she was not diagnosed with melanoma until early 2010). Cowher's wife moved back to Raleigh with his non-college age daughter before the 2006 season and Cowher was Bachelor Bill in Pittsburgh that season - the deal may have been the Cowhers were going back to Raleigh after the 2005 season and his wife followed through.

You are dead wrong pal.. his wife had Melanoma for many years..2006-07 season the doctors let her know it had come back.. and was more aggresive.. They knew she only had a few years left and could not beat it.. It was stated in an interview that she had wanted to live her last years back home. The guy left a job he wanted all of his life at the place he wanted to be all his life to go home with his wife who was dieing of cancer. what was clear in the 2006 season was Bill had more on his mind then football.. Retarded fans ripped him for losing his lust for the game but yet his problem was he knew he would have to walk away from a team in their prime.

As far as the Rooneys I read in the post about a month after kay passed.. where Art 11 said the Rooneys knew of her fight with cancer for many years and they could see the toll it was taking on Bill.. He went on to say how the rooneys would always be there for the cowhers and that as a Football Family it was kept secret from the media out of respect for Kay and Bill.. He said Bill didnt want it to be a distraction to the team.. Turned out his heart was in NC that year and it showed

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2012, 08:32 PM
You are dead wrong pal.. his wife had Melanoma for many years..2006-07 season the doctors let her know it had come back.. and was more aggresive..

Pal - if you want to cite me a source to refute this quote from Bill Cowher in 2010 fire away

Cowher, a former Pittsburgh Steelers coach, and his wife, Kaye, moved to Raleigh, N.C., during his final season with the Steelers in 2006 and watched their three daughters grow up. Cowher became a studio analyst for CBS Sports and took piano lessons.

But in February of this year, Kaye Cowher received a diagnosis of melanoma. Late last month, she died, at 54

“It was a quick and unfortunate downward spiral in five months’ time,” he said Tuesday at CBS’s Midtown headquarters. “They went in to remove what they thought was a muscle mass and after doing a needle biopsy, they found the melanoma and couldn’t really find a treatment to cure it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/sports/football/25sandomir.html

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Pal - if you want to cite me a source to refute this quote from Bill Cowher in 2010 fire away

Cowher, a former Pittsburgh Steelers coach, and his wife, Kaye, moved to Raleigh, N.C., during his final season with the Steelers in 2006 and watched their three daughters grow up. Cowher became a studio analyst for CBS Sports and took piano lessons.

But in February of this year, Kaye Cowher received a diagnosis of melanoma. Late last month, she died, at 54

“It was a quick and unfortunate downward spiral in five months’ time,” he said Tuesday at CBS’s Midtown headquarters. “They went in to remove what they thought was a muscle mass and after doing a needle biopsy, they found the melanoma and couldn’t really find a treatment to cure it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/sports/football/25sandomir.html

Gee wow.. its hard to believe the cowhers may not have wanted to give info out on their personal lives uh... It was all over the papers when she died.. Heaven forbid the NY post not have the whole story lol... there was even a local interview on kdka pittsburgh with one of the rooneys.. I think Dan not art basically saying the same things about her fighting this for some time and how Bill had to make a very tough decesion but one they stood behind..

and just so the NYTIMES gets their facts right again.. his three daughters were already grown.. I believe one was left in high school..sophmore at the time maybe jr.. the other two were in college.. one not very far from pittsburgh.. in college playing basketball.. probably lived with her DAD while going to school who knows..

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
by the way it was also reported she first got the cancer in 2004.. then resurfaced in 2006... I dont know where any damn source or shit is at to pull up.. Most of the guys on this board im sure remember it as well as I do.. where in the hell where you when it was going on?? it was all over the place.. really Im not being a dick man.. Was you out of state during that time?? anyway

you dont have to believe me.. and I dont care if you do.. I read and saw many things about it.. all of them said kaye as much and even more so then Bill didnt want anyone to know what was going on. It was a private matter as it should be..

They told everyone they moved to watch their youngest girl finish highschool..but that ended up being half the truth as it came out.. anyway I really am shocked you didnt see anything on it.. there is no way you were living anywhere close at the time

tony hipchest
01-18-2012, 11:38 PM
ive posted with atlanta dan for over 6 years and can vouch that he is apretty staunch follower of the local media, as am i.

we have also posted with thousands of members on this very board (many of them being locals) and this is the FIRST ive ever heard of Kayes battle being a long going one that forced the hand of bill leaving town.

i am certain if this incredible news were available to the local market, it wouldve been mentioned atleast once on this board, long before she died.

but it wasnt. :hunch:

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Gee wow.. its hard to believe the cowhers may not have wanted to give info out on their personal lives uh... It was all over the papers when she died.. Heaven forbid the NY post not have the whole story lol... there was even a local interview on kdka pittsburgh with one of the rooneys.. I think Dan not art basically saying the same things about her fighting this for some time and how Bill had to make a very tough decesion but one they stood behind..

and just so the NYTIMES gets their facts right again.. his three daughters were already grown.. I believe one was left in high school..sophmore at the time maybe jr.. the other two were in college.. one not very far from pittsburgh.. in college playing basketball.. probably lived with her DAD while going to school who knows..

Well asssuming the Cowher family did not tell you in 2006 that Kaye Cowher was battling cancer what are you relying upon for your position that Bill Cowher lied to The NYT about his late wife's health in 2010?

Hopefully you can do better than relying on your memory about what one of the Rooneys (you "think" it was Dan) may have said during an interview and then connect the dots as to how that was the reason Cowher left in 2006

Sorry to confuse you with some facts

TRH
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
The guys are right. She contracted the illness, then went downhill very quickly.

60_MINUTES
01-19-2012, 10:35 PM
she did not.. I guess we will wait for the tell all book one day until then you guys can call me a retard.. afterwards you can give me an apology .. Either way the main post is about the Rooneys and if they would pull the trigger to that I stand by my orginal post that if Tomlin is average he would get the ax.. Bill and chuck where not average both were far above... at this point tomlin is above as well.. but hes got a few years to do it as long as cowher and noll

to conclude my arguement above.. its funny how we and the media are retarded to think you would get all the details.. If Kaye wanted to keep it out of the media when she was going through it ( 2006) then why in the world would you ever think her husband would tell everyone or even more funny why would he tell the NY Times or any paper any details a week or month or whatever after her death.

I guess If my wife told me she would like to keep her dieing with cancer private.. then as soon as she died I would run and tell the media exactly what she didnt want them to know..

again I guess we will see in the tell all book here in about 10 or 15 years.. until then Im sure we will enjoy some more disageements to fill in the spots