PDA

View Full Version : Ward a Third down Back???

60_MINUTES
01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
You know Im not sure the Steelers have ever thought of this nor would it work for sure.. but How bout bring Ward back as a 5wr / Part time 3rd down back The guy is the smartest O player on the Team... A team leader.. a blocking SOB.. sure handed and can run with a little power..I know he is not that little quick RB out of the backfield like Sproles.. but look how many times we line up with our RB and then a TE back there on a two set...He would be much better and faster then a TE back there..and again could run the ball from time to time.. Also could even throw a pass off a fake here and there..or even line up for a wild cat once a blue moon ( although BA dont believe in it lol ) anyway I think his blocking skills alone could make it instresting... what do you guys think???

Fire Arians
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
that's baron batch's job

tony hipchest
01-17-2012, 11:26 PM
that's baron batch's jobunfortunately (for ward), i agree.

look at what the patriots did last sunday. a. hernandez was their leading rusher, along with being a significant part of that deadly tight end tandem. he also lined up in 3 different positions besides runningback and TE (maybe 6 if your counting all wr slots). he has made ochosinkpuke worthless and d. branch an afterthought. a deep threat like randy moss is the furthest thing from their mind.

thats ingenuity that keeps opponents off guard.

making a 36 year old ward a running back is wreckless charity.

DanRooney
01-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Batch might of been a camp phenom, but he's coming off an ACL injury. I wouldn't expect too much from him.

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 06:40 AM
unfortunately (for ward), i agree.

look at what the patriots did last sunday. a. hernandez was their leading rusher, along with being a significant part of that deadly tight end tandem. he also lined up in 3 different positions besides runningback and TE (maybe 6 if your counting all wr slots). he has made ochosinkpuke worthless and d. branch an afterthought. a deep threat like randy moss is the furthest thing from their mind.

thats ingenuity that keeps opponents off guard.

making a 36 year old ward a running back is wreckless charity.

I know its batchs job and I know ward is 36.. thats why I said part time... put him in the backfield with batch every now in then instead of miller or GOD forbid David Johnson... If we gonna go to TE protection with Miller and Johnson in the shotgun beside BEN... why not put ward there where is johnson is.. I just wonder if he would work some. We need to find something for him to do cause the Steelers are bringing him back you can put that in the bank.. He may come back at Vet Min but he will be back.

BKAnthem
01-18-2012, 07:22 AM
For that they might as well keep Mewelde...he's also smart...and younger i believe...But your idea requires thinking outside the box by the OC...

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
As much as i like the idea of Hines being our 3rd Down back. We have a very special RB prospect in Baron Batch. Batch is speedy, amazing hands, and for a little guy can block with the best of them. He will line up in the back field on 3rd Down along with Heath in the back field. Heath isn't the fastest car in the garage, but he is the best blocking TE in the league and is dangerous when no one is covering him. Ward will be on the team next year, but mainly to give Wallace, Brown, and Sanders and breather and to help in run blocking. I do not see Hines making many catches next season, but like every player on our team he will be a huge contributor to our success.

Fire Arians
01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Batch might of been a camp phenom, but he's coming off an ACL injury. I wouldn't expect too much from him.

on the bright side he injured it during preseason, so he should have more than enough time to recover fully from the injury. i like the kid's attitude, i think he will earn his spot this year.

6RingsAndCounting
01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
You've seen them motion ward into the backfield with Ben in the shotgun before, but I don't think a 36 year old that runs a 5 flat would be too much of a threat running the ball, and if you aren't going to run with him, that makes you completely one dimensional. Although, we already are with Arians at offensive coordinator..

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
You've seen them motion ward into the backfield with Ben in the shotgun before, but I don't think a 36 year old that runs a 5 flat would be too much of a threat running the ball, and if you aren't going to run with him, that makes you completely one dimensional. Although, we already are with Arians at offensive coordinator..

true on most of your points but he would still add a new look if we used him instead of david johnson in the two back set with Miller

besides hes always run a 5 flat but finds a way to get yardage:drink:

6RingsAndCounting
01-18-2012, 04:20 PM
true on most of your points but he would still add a new look if we used him instead of david johnson in the two back set with Miller

besides hes always run a 5 flat but finds a way to get yardage:drink:

I still think we need to find a way to get him on the field, he's a zone killer, even at his age. Possibly the smartest player that isn't a quarterback, so if that means putting him in the backfield, so be it.

60_MINUTES
01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I still think we need to find a way to get him on the field, he's a zone killer, even at his age. Possibly the smartest player that isn't a quarterback, so if that means putting him in the backfield, so be it.

exactly... I agree with you on the fact he is aged and a guy like Batch who i hope comes back healthy is a better option.. but I do believe we need to find a way to have Ward on the field.. you are spot on.. the guy is a zone killer that will get open in space.. as good as we are at WR.. putting him in from time to time on a two protection back set may be the only way we can get him into the action