PDA

View Full Version : 2012 draft strategy

former RB
01-18-2012, 01:54 AM
The Steelers need to think about getting a game breaking RB. None are available in the draft. And they need to think about finding another game changing safety. Troy isn't going to be around forever, and if he gets hurt, there is a dropoff.

THE STEELERS WILL ADDRESS BOTH THESE ISSUES, AND HERE IS HOW THEY WILL DO IT.

The Bengals get the 17th overall pick from Oakland. The Steelers will trade up a few spots and offer cincy a late round pick. The Steelers will select SS Mark Barron from Alabama. Barron is the best safety to come out of the draft since, you guessed it, Troy Polamalu.

Next, the Steelers need a game changing RB. Oakland has two good starters in Michael Bush, and Darren McFadden, BUT, their best RB is Taiwan Jones. He reminds you of Tony Dorsett.
So, since the Raiders don't have a , first, second, or third round pick this year, the Steelers will offer them a 2nd and 3rd round pick for RB Taiwan Jones.

With the Steelers remaining picks, they will shore up both lines.
By pursuing this course of action, they will get the best RB in the game, the best safety in the draft, give their 4th round pick to cincy to get Barron, and still have a few picks to address the line problems.

Bayz101
01-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Please dammit tell me your a part of the Steelers front office :applaudit:

This strategy needs to happen.

BKAnthem
01-18-2012, 02:18 AM
I like Ike...With Mendy Backing him up...or hell even Clay..

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-18-2012, 05:13 AM
The Steelers need to think about getting a game breaking RB. None are available in the draft. And they need to think about finding another game changing safety. Troy isn't going to be around forever, and if he gets hurt, there is a dropoff.

The Bengals get the 17th overall pick from Oakland. The Steelers will trade up a few spots and offer cincy a late round pick. The Steelers will select SS Mark Barron from Alabama. Barron is the best safety to come out of the draft since, you guessed it, Troy Polamalu.

Next, the Steelers need a game changing RB. Oakland has two good starters in Michael Bush, and Darren McFadden, BUT, their best RB is Taiwan Jones. He reminds you of Tony Dorsett.
So, since the Raiders don't have a , first, second, or third round pick this year, the Steelers will offer them a 2nd and 3rd round pick for RB Taiwan Jones.

By pursuing this course of action, they will get the best RB in the game, the best safety in the draft, give their 4th round pick to cincy to get Barron, and still have a few picks to address the line problems.

Reading this makes my head hurt and barron will prob be there at number 24...

MDSteel15
01-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I've been lobbying to pick up Michael Bush since he entered the draft! He's a free agant and I would love to have him come in and pound it down Baltimores throat :tt03:

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Mark Barron seems like a good pick for us yes, but we will not have to trade down or up for him because teams are afraid to take Safeties in the 1st RD. We might be able to trade up in the 2nd the get Barron, but our 1st RD pick will be dedicated to helping either line. As for us getting a RB, I do not see it at all. I have been saying this more the longest time that Baron Batch is going to be the speedster we have been longing for. Batch is going to develop into a great pass-catching RB. He has great speed and blocking ability to help on 3rd Down as well. The Steelers never do draft day trades and they most definitely not do one where they lose picks. The Steelers strive on having as many picks as possible without having to trade any players.

Kingmagyar
01-18-2012, 09:25 AM
This is not a year to be giving draft picks away for a unproven running back and safety when like 10 or more veteran players are going to be released. We need to draft a ILB, NT, & OG all ready to be starters as well as a possible new OT and backup QB, before we even think about Running Back. In the BA offense Running Back is way down the list.

According to your strategy the Steeler's draft would look like this

1 Mark Barren
NO PICKS IN THE 2ND - 4TH ROUNDS* (totally insane)
AND PICKS 5-7 TO HELP THE LINES OUT.

So the Steelers would trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Taiwan Jones a guy who has 16 career carries and is somehow the best Running Back in the game.

They would rely on 5th through 7th rounders to fill out their offensive and defensive lines, and they would have a rookie safety sitting on the bench behind Ryan Clark and Troy.

*and it is doubtful the Raiders or Bengals would ever make any trade with the Steelers.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
This is not a year to be giving draft picks away for a unproven running back and safety when like 10 or more veteran players are going to be released. We need to draft a ILB, NT, & OG all ready to be starters as well as a possible new OT and backup QB, before we even think about Running Back. In the BA offense Running Back is way down the list.

According to your strategy the Steeler's draft would look like this

1 Mark Barren
NO PICKS IN THE 2ND - 4TH ROUNDS* (totally insane)
AND PICKS 5-7 TO HELP THE LINES OUT.

So the Steelers would trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Taiwan Jones a guy who has 16 career carries and is somehow the best Running Back in the game.

They would rely on 5th through 7th rounders to fill out their offensive and defensive lines, and they would have a rookie safety sitting on the bench behind Ryan Clark and Troy.

*and it is doubtful the Raiders or Bengals would ever make any trade with the Steelers.

4real like cmon that would be stupid to trade up unless its a great LT and give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a RB that was drafted in the 4th round last year something dont add up....but i dont think they really no alot about drafting or football lol....he might be trolling :fingers:

pete74
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
personally i would rather give Redman the keys but i would love to have Barron start as a rookie next to Troy. that would be a sick secondary

therooster45
01-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Please let me know what you are smoking so I can stay away from it. Obviously you have no clue about what you are talking about. 1. No way does Pgh (or any other team for that matter) trade their 1st and 2nd picks to move up to draft a safety who I guarantee will still be there at 24 or even think about taking a RB we do not need a RB as much as we desperately need a OG or OT or DT or a HC with a brain. Ben takes way too many hits because our OL couldnt block the Duquesne Cheerleaders. We cant get turnovers because we have to line up a LB on the DL because our DL cant get any pressure on the QB nor stop the run without the help If we do not get a quality DL we are done. No way is Pgh going to pay Hampton 8.5 Million coming off ACL surgery so he is probably gone Hood cant play NT so we may go to 4 - 3 basically. Yes Troy cant last forever but I would be looking for a CB in the 3rd 4th round who can cover and CATCH the rock.

PhantomJB93
01-18-2012, 07:21 PM
L.M.A.O.

I'm sorry, but this whole post is just hilarious.

Yeah, let's TRADE UP for a safety who will probably fall into the second round anyway, and then trade the rest of our early picks for TAIWAN JONES, the unstoppable offensive juggernaut with 73 career rushing yards who isn't even the top backup on his own team.

Please, formerrb, I BEG of you, take over our front office. Those hacks are running this franchise into the ground. We need a brilliant mind like yours.

:applaudit:

(something tells me you have a personal connection to Taiwan Jones, because literally noone knows who he is, there's no reason to believe he's anything special, and this is at least the second time I've seen you bring this up and suggest trading valuable picks for him. Family? High school friend? Has to be something like that.)

former RB
01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Reading this makes my head hurt and barron will prob be there at number 24...

You only think that Barron will be there at 24 because the draft gurus have him going late first round. Draft gurus are never, never , ever right. I've never seen a accurate mock draft. You can usually predict the first 3 or 4, but after that, nobody knows.
The simple fact is that Barron is so far above any other safety in the draft. After him, the dropoff is huge. Barron gets compared to guys like Ronnie Lott, Carnell Lake, Troy, Ed Reed. He has brilliant football IQ and like the names I mentioned, he can cover like a corner, and hit like a LB. If he was a step faster, he;d be compared to Rod Woodson.

As for Taiwan Jones, I know he was drsfted in the 4th round last year. I thought he was the best Rb in the draft. If he had played At Alabama behind the line that Mark Ingram played behind, he would have been a high first rounder. His problem was that he didn't play for a high profile program. Taiwan amazed at camp, and was used sparingly in games. Every time he got a chance to show his studff, he was a marvel. The raiders O line is atrocious. I think Taiwan will be the next Tony Dorsett. He will be the premier back in the league over the next 10 years.
Hey, he can run like Wallace, and he runs with power too. He has Barry Sanders moves, unheard of speed, great hands, and even better vision.

Mark Barron and Taiwan Jones can both make an immediate impact and become Steeler legends if we can land them. Conditions are perfect to land both of them right now.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-18-2012, 10:12 PM
You only think that Barron will be there at 24 because the draft gurus have him going late first round. Draft gurus are never, never , ever right. I've never seen a accurate mock draft. You can usually predict the first 3 or 4, but after that, nobody knows.
The simple fact is that Barron is so far above any other safety in the draft. After him, the dropoff is huge. Barron gets compared to guys like Ronnie Lott, Carnell Lake, Troy, Ed Reed. He has brilliant football IQ and like the names I mentioned, he can cover like a corner, and hit like a LB. If he was a step faster, he;d be compared to Rod Woodson.

As for Taiwan Jones, I know he was drsfted in the 4th round last year. I thought he was the best Rb in the draft. If he had played At Alabama behind the line that Mark Ingram played behind, he would have been a high first rounder. His problem was that he didn't play for a high profile program. Taiwan amazed at camp, and was used sparingly in games. Every time he got a chance to show his studff, he was a marvel. The raiders O line is atrocious. I think Taiwan will be the next Tony Dorsett. He will be the premier back in the league over the next 10 years.
Hey, he can run like Wallace, and he runs with power too. He has Barry Sanders moves, unheard of speed, great hands, and even better vision.

Mark Barron and Taiwan Jones can both make an immediate impact and become Steeler legends if we can land them. Conditions are perfect to land both of them right now.

No one trades up for a safety unless its troy type player dont try to compare troy to barron...troy was a way better safety than barron was in college...but on the other hand you would want to trade up to pick a safety that will prob be there at number 24and give up a 2nd round pick and a 3rd for a running back that is UNPROVEN and hurt this team on bothsides of the ball cause we need help on both lines and linebackers...

P.S dont compare no UNPROVEN rb to Barry Sanders

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
brilliant idea ..i always thought the cart should be in front of the horse !!! :applaudit:
seriously dude ... forget the fact that your "best back in the league" , is a no name , but lets not forget the fact that the oline is a pile of shit. i don't care who you put back there they won't have anymore success than anyone who is already on the roster.

as many have already pointed out , unless barron does some spectacular shit during the draft festivities process , he'll be there at 24 most likely.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-19-2012, 11:23 AM
former RB, do you know what football talent is haha? Barron will never be a troy type player. He may be a very improved Ryan Clark for us one day, but why would we trade up when he might be there in the 2nd Rd anyway. And also trade for a RB who was buried in the Raiders depth chart and only played because of injury. The Steelers never trade their picks away and they won't start now by trading for Jones. Jones will never even be compared to Mendenhall so why compare hiim to BS20. We have our speedster RB next season and his name is Baron Batch, he is a great RB and will have an impact on the team. RB is finally a strength again on this team. Redman showed what he can do with a higher amount of carriers and Mendenhall has been an above-average RB for us. Clay and Dwyer will likely be trade bait to get more picks, because it looks like M.Moore and B. Batch will battle for 3rd String and 3rd Down back.

pete74
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
No one trades up for a safety unless its troy type player dont try to compare troy to barron...troy was a way better safety than barron was in college...but on the other hand you would want to trade up to pick a safety that will prob be there at number 24and give up a 2nd round pick and a 3rd for a running back that is UNPROVEN and hurt this team on bothsides of the ball cause we need help on both lines and linebackers...

P.S dont compare no UNPROVEN rb to Barry Sanders

we traded up for Troy and Barron has better college stats then Troy did. he also has better size with good speed. im not saying he will be a probowl saftey in the NFL but he definatly has all the tools and experiance.

ben7
01-21-2012, 03:19 PM
the Taiwan Jones best RB in the game made me lol hard

ZiggyHeyward
02-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Pro bowl players at both safety positions the only way I see this happening is if Adams,Glenn and Hightower are all off the board. G,DT,MLB,FB are our biggest needs in this years draft so guys like Cox,Poe, and Burfict have to be in the conversation. I'm also very high on Perry and look forward to seeing him in linebacker drills. I think Barron will be on the board when we pick and we will let him pass by just like Aaron Williams last year. He wouldn't see the field as a rookie which makes other positions more valuable and there will be players to fit our needs at 24. The only guys I see them moving up for is DeCastro if he started falling or Glenn if they were worried about losing out on him but I don't see Colbert and Co. moving out of there current spot unless its down.

ZiggyHeyward
02-08-2012, 05:36 AM
the Taiwan Jones best RB in the game made me lol hard

He's pretty good in Madden 12 though lol