PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy Hood Moving to Nose Tackle?

pete74
01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
In Ed Bouchette’s Steelers Chat the question was brought up and Ed seemed to think it was a possibility. It was later asked how much weight Ziggy would have to gain if he moved to Nose Tackle. Ed projected around 10 lbs. That would bring Ziggy to around the 310-315 lb range. He could easily do it. Ziggy has the frame for the position.

Ziggy could do well at the nose. He has shown since he has been with the Steelers that he is a better run stuffer than advertised. He is taking on double teams right now at Defensive End. It would be the same thing at the nose.

Even with the addition of 1o pounds having Hood play the nose would still be a positive for the Steelers. Hood will still be a 3 down player who can stop the pass and the run. He will not have to come off the field each time it is a passing situation. That would be a big lift against teams like New England. We could keep most of our base defense on the field and still stop the pass.

Hood’s play has improved drastically over the last two years. It can be seen more in his teammates than himself. Hood’s stats may not show what he is doing but LaMarr Woodley’s do. Woodley started his tear of double digit sack games as Hood entered the lineup. Teams had to use more players to block Hood giving Woodley the ability to go one-on-one on the edge. Ziggy is one of the better hand fighters I have seen in a long time. Blockers do not get to his body causing others to have to come and help out. That creates lanes for linebackers and safeties to make plays.

Another twist to this is that Steelers Rookie Defensive End Cameron Heyward would be pushed into starting duty at Left Defensive End. The Steelers just made themselves younger without even making a real move. It will be something that will take all offseason to work on but I like the sounds of what I am hearing. It could work really well

BKAnthem
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Hmmmm...i like that Idea, Kiesel-Hood-Heyward

pete74
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
yea it sounds good. Hood is more athletic then Hampton and i remember last season Smith called Hood the strongest player on the team so he could do really well. i definatly want Heyward starting next season and this is the way to get our best 3 lineman on the field together

GMU Steeler
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea to me. Keisel's still playing at a high level and I think we have something real special in Cam so this idea could work.

DanRooney
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I've mentioned this a while back. It would get Heyward on the field. Good move imo.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
That would be a mammoth of a line, Heyward and Hood are rising starts and are basically DT. Our rush defense will be amazing for years to come with that huge. It is weird saying this, but we do need to draft a DE to be Keisel's replacement as well. Hood has the natural DT ability because he did play DT and Mizzou as well. Would be a great strategic move on the Steelers part to go with this DL

6RingsAndCounting
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I think it would be a decent move, I think Hood is more athletic so I believe he would be able to evade those chop blocks that the Ravens killed us with.

Fire Arians
01-18-2012, 04:00 PM
this offseason is going to be an interesting one. I think any of our DE players are big enough to play nose. well hood and heyward at least. mclendon is still serviceable as a backup. does that mean we draft another DE instead of NT? keisel has been great but he's getting up there in age.

Fire Arians
01-18-2012, 04:09 PM
anyone been watching memphis this year? there's a lot of talk saying that we're likely going to draft dontari poe in rd. 1. dude's listed at 350 lbs, that's crazy. i haven't seen him play though.

6RingsAndCounting
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
anyone been watching memphis this year? there's a lot of talk saying that we're likely going to draft dontari poe in rd. 1. dude's listed at 350 lbs, that's crazy. i haven't seen him play though.

I've seen youtube video's on him, he's a hoss. He puts up great number in the weight room, not that lifting means a great football player.

FrancoLambert
01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Good idea, give it a try. Ziggy seems more suited for stuffing the run and might develop a mean streak as full time NT. Hopefully it eliminates the DL as our 1st round selection. Do I hear guard????? Please????

GMU Steeler
01-18-2012, 04:26 PM
this offseason is going to be an interesting one. I think any of our DE players are big enough to play nose. well hood and heyward at least. mclendon is still serviceable as a backup. does that mean we draft another DE instead of NT? keisel has been great but he's getting up there in age.

I think we'd still go with NT. Insurance if this didn't pan out and the fact that we have no depth there really. The awesome thing about the Cam selection was it immediately turned a position that was old outside of Ziggy into a position of youth.

plenewken
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Hmmmm...i like that Idea, Kiesel-Hood-Heyward

Me too.

stb_steeler
01-18-2012, 05:20 PM
yea it sounds good. Hood is more athletic then Hampton and i remember last season Smith called Hood the strongest player on the team so he could do really well. i definatly want Heyward starting next season and this is the way to get our best 3 lineman on the field together

Look out Big Snack, it looks like your on the chopping block!
At least Zigman could stay in for set of downs with out gasping for air.

Rick5895
01-18-2012, 06:54 PM
When it cones to drafting DL it could mean we take the BPA whether its a NT or DE. It would also allow us to focus on OL or ILB in the 1st rd.

steeltheone
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
We have Mclendon too, and he has been improving. Problem is Keisel can't stay healthy, so another body is needed.

finesward
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I like heyward over ziggy at this point. I don't know what you guys are seeing but they haven't exactly opened up a lot gaps for the LB'ers to get much QB pressure. Teams are either on to our inside crossing blitzes or they just aren't getting it done. Sure woodley had a tear of sacks but it had more to do with playing shit ass QB's and him being either untouched or on a TE or something. Woodley looks more like a DE at this point than a OLB. He gets no leverage like harrison does and thats what you need as a olb pass rusher. Hood has a motor, and I like him more on the inside rather than setting the edge. Heyward has the look of a DE for us. He looks like an aaron smith replica. I think we are one more set piece away from being set for years at DL, but it's not now. Kiesel and Hampton will likely be back.

PhantomJB93
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
I've always thought about it as a temporary move, but it never occurred to me that maybe he could be a full time NT. I suppose he could, his play now actually seems like it might be better suited to the position than DE.

The move could also open up a whole lot of other draft possibilities. The NTs in this draft seem like reaches to me at pick 24, so we could take an OL or ILB more easily without worrying so much about the Dline. Maybe if the team feels confident in Hood being a full time NT, another 3-4 DE could be selected in the early rounds as opposed to a NT.

Keisel-Hood-Heyward definitely sounds a lot better than Keisel-Mclendon/Rookie-Hood

defence
01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok; so i have a question. Would it not be a wise move to switch now to a 4 3!! Please guys; don't jump all over me!! Just thinking since we are getting pretty old at lb; if tomlin were to make that move; nows the time???

stb_steeler
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Ok; so i have a question. Would it not be a wise move to switch now to a 4 3!! Please guys; don't jump all over me!! Just thinking since we are getting pretty old at lb; if tomlin were to make that move; nows the time???

Its possible...other teams are doin it.....But i see the 3-4 is Dicks baby.

defence
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Its possible...other teams are doin it.....But i see the 3-4 is Dicks baby.

I guess!! But it's seems harder to draft 3 4 lbs and more time to develop them!! Heyward would be a great de along with woodley. Hood as a dt and maybe mclendon or draft a dt!! I think in a 3 4 you need really good lbs to make it a dominant d; and right now farrior and foote are not and harrison is(i think) 34!! Still love him; but how dominant will he be next year??

stb_steeler
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I guess!! But it's seems harder to draft 3 4 lbs and more time to develop them!! Heyward would be a great de along with woodley. Hood as a dt and maybe mclendon or draft a dt!! I think in a 3 4 you need really good lbs to make it a dominant d; and right now farrior and foote are not and harrison is(i think) 34!! Still love him; but how dominant will he be next year??

I think Heyward will fit good.....As much as i like Potsy i think his age shows and i believe some ones finally gonna make the change.

skinart82
01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
I like this a lot, hopefully it happens!

OX1947
01-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Word is Farrior wants to finish his last year. He would be a 3rd down type linebacker and would restructure to make it work. Hines will restructure and wants to finish his last 2 years. I think the Steelers make this work.

The steeler being 25 mil over isnt as dire as you think. They have Hampton and Kemo due 11 million, so those guys will defiantly get cut. Almost half way there. Larry foote is due 3.6 mil, he will be gone, now they are at 14.6 mil cleared. Jonathan counts for 2.3 mil, he will be gone, thats 16.8 million. McFadden counts for 2.5 mil, he will be cut, now its 19.3 mil. Will Allen and Arnez battle between each other cover 2.3 mil, they get cut and steelers are now at 21.6 mil in cap month cleared.

Hampton
Kemo
Foote
Scott
McFadden
Battle
Allen

will all be gone in my opinion. Ward and Farrior will finish their contracts. Aaron Smith more then likely will retire. I think the Steelers will be fine. Word is Woodley and Timmons contracts are easy to restructure as well if the Steelers need to.

DanRooney
01-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Word is Farrior wants to finish his last year. He would be a 3rd down type linebacker and would restructure to make it work. Hines will restructure and wants to finish his last 2 years. I think the Steelers make this work.

The steeler being 25 mil over isnt as dire as you think. They have Hampton and Kemo due 11 million, so those guys will defiantly get cut. Almost half way there. Larry foote is due 3.6 mil, he will be gone, now they are at 14.6 mil cleared. Jonathan counts for 2.3 mil, he will be gone, thats 16.8 million. McFadden counts for 2.5 mil, he will be cut, now its 19.3 mil. Will Allen and Arnez battle between each other cover 2.3 mil, they get cut and steelers are now at 21.6 mil in cap month cleared.

Hampton
Kemo
Foote
Scott
McFadden
Battle
Allen

will all be gone in my opinion. Ward and Farrior will finish their contracts. Aaron Smith more then likely will retire. I think the Steelers will be fine. Word is Woodley and Timmons contracts are easy to restructure as well if the Steelers need to.

Unfortunately, cutting a guy doesn't clear all of a player's cap hit. You can't just subtract what he's supposed to get next year from the total cap value.

ricardisimo
01-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Had we finished as just a mediocre defense then we could have this discussion. It's not the time.

AgentGold007
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I vaguely recall the idea of Hood being moved to NT being floated around a couple years ago. I think it's a great idea and it makes it more likely they draft Cordy Glen or Kelechi Osemele in the first round (in my opinion). They can still draft Alameda Ta'amu or Josh Chapman in the 2nd or 3rd round, or maybe Kendall Reyes or Derek Wolfe later in the draft for depth on the d-line.

pete74
01-19-2012, 08:58 AM
you could add Colon to that cut list. he is to injury prone now and i dont see us paying him 6million to ride the bench another year

saint0917
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, cutting a guy doesn't clear all of a player's cap hit. You can't just subtract what he's supposed to get next year from the total cap value.

This is true, because I'm guessing that some of that money is "Guaranteed Money" that the Steelers will have to pay out to those they cut.

jjpro11
01-19-2012, 12:38 PM
you could add Colon to that cut list. he is to injury prone now and i dont see us paying him 6million to ride the bench another year

i just read a report today saying the Steelers plan to start Gilbert at LT and Colon at RT.

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
i just read a report today saying the Steelers plan to start Gilbert at LT and Colon at RT.

that might work well if colon can stay healthy. he's a big question mark though because the past 2 seasons he's been IRed. We may have to go tackle in the draft because we have no depth if anyone gets injured. Not likely starks and essex will be back, so who do we have behind them? chris scott? no thanks. jamon meridith who? jonathan scott will most likely be cut also because he's not worth the 2.6 million. hell he's not worth the league minimum.

gilbert went through some growing pains but overall I felt he played well at RT. A full offseason and with a year of NFL experience under his belt, I feel he will be even better next season.