PDA

View Full Version : Regarding User Reputation

Prosdo
06-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I think it?s about time this topic is addressed. The reputation system is for fun. It is tool that we use to show someone we agree or disagree with a post. Just because you have a lot of rep points or a little bit of rep points doesn?t really change anything. As of late it seems the reputation system is causing some problems and a bit of controversy. I hope it calms down a little, because if it doesn?t then it will probably be removed for a while or even permanently. So, guys just remember it?s for fun and don?t take it too seriously.

HburgXL06
06-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Says the girl wit 1333 rep points....lol. Just playin, I'll admit it good to see when someone gives you plus rep for a post. But in the end it's not like it has a great impact on life and the system shouldn't be used as a weapon against others (multiple neg reppin everyone of a single person's posts). This is all in fun so let's keep it that way!

BuFu

Koopa
06-30-2006, 12:56 AM
it only caused problems with one person but i ain't seen that person around lately lol

Prosdo
06-30-2006, 01:04 AM
It has actually been with a few so hopefully this post mellows it a little.

Lyn
06-30-2006, 01:38 AM
A person would think anyone using brains would have it all figured out, that karma is for fun. More immature ppl would use it as a "popularity tool" which it definitely is not.

Message board bullys are a dime a dozen and of both genders.They try to control what everyone posts. They attempt to take people who are new to the board "under their wing", but only people they can control, and pay them all kinds of compliments via private messaging and a scattering of public atta boy posts and a salting of karma points. They do this so the person will do what they want they use then as "henchmen" for lack of a better word. They tell ppl they are thinking of the board, when in reality what they are doing dilutes the effectiveness of the board and we all know actions speak louder than words.
Karma Yes? Karma No? It really doesn't matter message board bullys will always be around just like the playground bullys. Noone unless it is a site OWNER or a site MOD will ever tell me what I can or cannot post.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-30-2006, 08:54 AM
A person would think anyone using brains would have it all figured out, that karma is for fun. More immature ppl would use it as a "popularity tool" which it definitely is not.

Message board bullys are a dime a dozen and of both genders.They try to control what everyone posts. They attempt to take people who are new to the board "under their wing", but only people they can control, and pay them all kinds of compliments via private messaging and a scattering of public atta boy posts and a salting of karma points. They do this so the person will do what they want they use then as "henchmen" for lack of a better word. They tell ppl they are thinking of the board, when in reality what they are doing dilutes the effectiveness of the board and we all know actions speak louder than words.
Karma Yes? Karma No? It really doesn't matter message board bullys will always be around just like the playground bullys. Noone unless it is a site OWNER or a site MOD will ever tell me what I can or cannot post.

Exactly..Thats why I respect you and think your the Best on the board. I gave you rep points for your post and have private messaged you about all the people that I hate and the ones that I hope you and I can chase away.
Owning this Board is an intregal part of my plan for total world domination... and I know that you will agree that people are either with us or against us.
Anyone not noticing the sarcasm and light-heartedness meant in this post..MUST BE ASSIMILATED! Resistance,by the way, IS futile.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I love the rep system. But I never give negative rep points unless I feel that someone is acting like a complete fool and not posting anything usefull. But I won't even do that now. If I see a troll I'm just going to ignore them.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Good thread Prosdo, thanks for posting it up !

Remember, rep points dont give you anything as far as "true" merit on a message board goes. Its fun to give and receive rep, hell I do it alot..but at the same time there are just as many occasional members that have alot of knowledge about the steelers, the nfl, etc. that maybe dont post too often, or just dont generally give out rep points, but their thoughts are just as important as someone who has 1,000, 2,000 + points of rep.

The true merit of an individual on a message board is found by reading his or her posts and finding out their thoughts and seeing what knowledge and whit they bring to the board to make it better.

SteelerDan43
06-30-2006, 04:51 PM

Your spot on. My thoughts exactally

MyCuz64Furness
07-01-2006, 09:52 AM
since I'm a newbie.....how do you see who gave you rep and if its good or bad.....If this is a stupid question sorry:dang:

Lyn
07-01-2006, 10:14 AM
since I'm a newbie.....how do you see who gave you rep and if its good or bad.....If this is a stupid question sorry:dang:

there is no such thing as a stupid question :)

At the bottom on the left side of the area where a member's name is, there is a thumbs up and a thumbs down, hit the thumbs up for positive rep and a thumbs down for negative rep. Another window will open for you saying I approve, I disapprove, you mark the one you choose.

happy reping:)

MyCuz64Furness
07-01-2006, 10:23 AM
there is no such thing as a stupid question :)

At the bottom on the left side of the area where a member's name is, there is a thumbs up and a thumbs down, hit the thumbs up for positive rep and a thumbs down for negative rep. Another window will open for you saying I approve, I disapprove, you mark the one you choose.

happy reping:)

can you read what people say about you???

Lyn
07-01-2006, 10:26 AM
say about you .....when they give you reputation?

MyCuz64Furness
07-01-2006, 10:28 AM
say about you .....when they give you reputation?

yeah...does that make sense?? :dang: :smile:

Lyn
07-01-2006, 10:32 AM
yeah...does that make sense?? :dang: :smile:

Sure does! after you hit I approve or I disapprove there is a blank you can fill in telling the person you are repping what you think of his/her post. Another nice feature of SteelersFever:)

Ambridge
07-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Great post Pros.

Rep points are fun extensions of our postings but I don't put too much weight in their significance.
If SF didn't have the rep point option it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Koopa
07-01-2006, 06:41 PM
can you read what people say about you???

click on user cp at the top and it takes you to what ppl have let you in the rep, but unless they signed the rep or you've paid 10 bucks you can't see who left you the rep points

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I think it?s about time this topic is addressed. The reputation system is for fun. It is tool that we use to show someone we agree or disagree with a post. Just because you have a lot of rep points or a little bit of rep points doesn?t really change anything. As of late it seems the reputation system is causing some problems and a bit of controversy. I hope it calms down a little, because if it doesn?t then it will probably be removed for a while or even permanently. So, guys just remember it?s for fun and don?t take it too seriously.

Well said Prosdo. Just because some has nearly 1,000 points rep(example:Me), or those who have more then 1,000(Prosdo, or BRC), dosen't mean they're absolutely the best posters. If someone has a small amount of rep(example:anyone new), doesn't mean that they're opinion or something that wish to put on the board is not important. I appreciate the positive rep and understand why people give me negative rep. But to just negative rep because you feel like it, is maddness.
Good to see you spoke out about it now Prosdo before it's completely out of hand. Nice job. Keep it up. same to you BRC

MyCuz64Furness
07-02-2006, 08:30 AM
click on user cp at the top and it takes you to what ppl have let you in the rep, but unless they signed the rep or you've paid 10 bucks you can't see who left you the rep points

thanks Koopa.....this is what I was lookin for..........:bouncy: :bouncy: now I'm in the know :sofunny: :sofunny:

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I understand the point system and I do like it, now for my question how does Rep power get increased??

BlitzburghRockCity
07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
anytime someone gives you rep points, your rep increases as shown in your user box in every post. ( rep increases when someone clicks on the "thumbsup/thumbsdown" image in your user box and either agrees or disagrees with you )

As you gain more rep points your rep power increases too. Everyhundred rep points gains you another point in rep power. Also every hundred and thousdand posts gains you a rep power point too.

Big D
07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
anytime someone gives you rep points, your rep increases as shown in your user box in every post. ( rep increases when someone clicks on the "thumbsup/thumbsdown" image in your user box and either agrees or disagrees with you )

As you gain more rep points your rep power increases too. Everyhundred rep points gains you another point in rep power. Also every hundred and thousdand posts gains you a rep power point too.
I dont have any rep points because everybody hates me

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Hell big d here you go

slashsteel
07-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I just received negative rep points from a troll. I must now end it all, oh this cruel world.

:dang:

Now I wonder who was the young adolecent who gave it to me. If we were face to face I'd bitch slap the little girl. :funny:

slashsteel
07-11-2006, 04:59 PM
BTW just to let the mods know I probably got about 4 negative rep points from Big Dork. Just to show you one how much of a moron this guy is. And two that this "system" in place is worthless when people use it to talk smack.

Prosdo
07-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Apparently we might just need to scrap the whole rep system.

Big D
07-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Apparently we might just need to scrap the whole rep system.
I dont think thats necessary. Its a fun way for appreciation in this forum.

slashsteel
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Caption this... 07-11-2006 03:52 PM Childish comment
User Reputation 07-11-2006 02:54 PM therer was no need to make this public-big d

Yeah this is loads of fun dickhead. As you can see the last two neg rep (obtained from big Dork)

When I was in the military we had things for this troll. Ever had a blanket party little d?

Prosdo
07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Apparently I speak Greek today :rolleyes: lol

Big D
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Apparently I speak Greek today :rolleyes: lol
he doesnt understand. But seriously dont change the rep system

slashsteel
07-11-2006, 05:17 PM
LOL twit she is talking to both of us clueless. And "seriously" lets scrap the worthless drivel. So little girls like little D can't hide behind more than her computer.

slashsteel
07-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Hummmmmmmmmm we might be done now let's see. I want to thank everyone who watched the show. Hope you injoyed your popcorn and please return with your free movie pass.

CantStop85
07-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Actually, I'm still sort of puzzled on this one...I get how rep power increases with every 100 rep points, but every hundred and thousand posts gives you a rep power point? I haven't hit 1,000 posts yet, but I'm pretty sure my rep power didn't go up every hundred posts. Did I misinterpret that part?

Prosdo
07-12-2006, 01:08 AM
It's determined by the following factors...

Register Date Factor
For every 365 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=748&page=3&highlight=reputation

CantStop85
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
It's determined by the following factors...

Register Date Factor
For every 365 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=748&page=3&highlight=reputation
Ah, I've got it now...thanks Prosdo, always clearing things up for me. :bouncy:

Preacher
11-15-2006, 02:18 AM
I must be the biggest idiot on the board...

I can only add to people's points...

Not that I want to take away from other people, but I just want figure this thing out! And how do people know how many points other people have.

Please don't tell me people are being childish enough to flaunt thier points?!:rolleyes:
PLEASE don't tell me that. This is only an online forum to waste time better spent working.... er nevermind. :nervous:

Livinginthe past
11-15-2006, 02:26 AM
I must be the biggest idiot on the board...

I can only add to people's points...

Not that I want to take away from other people, but I just want figure this thing out! And how do people know how many points other people have.

Please don't tell me people are being childish enough to flaunt thier points?!:rolleyes:
PLEASE don't tell me that. This is only an online forum to waste time better spent working.... er nevermind. :nervous:

Hey Preacher,

We all get together once a month and have 'i'll show you mine if you show me yours' rep points meeting.....ok..... just kidding.

The ability to post negative rep was taken away because it was being 'misused' and some people got a little over excited about what is essentially another couple of meaningless numbers next to your handle.

For this same reason and because some members were 'boosting' each others rep-points it was decided to make rep points only viewable to the user.

The one valid point to this whole episode is that you can still read comments people make regarding your posts if you click on 'user CP' at the top left of the screen.

Hope that helps.

NM

Preacher
11-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Hey Preacher,

We all get together once a month and have 'i'll show you mine if you show me yours' rep points meeting.....ok..... just kidding.

The ability to post negative rep was taken away because it was being 'misused' and some people got a little over excited about what is essentially another couple of meaningless numbers next to your handle.

For this same reason and because some members were 'boosting' each others rep-points it was decided to make rep points only viewable to the user.

The one valid point to this whole episode is that you can still read comments people make regarding your posts if you click on 'user CP' at the top left of the screen.

Hope that helps.

NM

That makes sense as to what I am seeing. Yeah, I have viewed my rep points. I gotta big laugh out of someone that actually gave me a rep point just to say something negative to me.

floodcitygirl
11-15-2006, 08:21 AM
That makes sense as to what I am seeing. Yeah, I have viewed my rep points. I gotta big laugh out of someone that actually gave me a rep point just to say something negative to me.You've GOT to be kidding! You would have thought that they might have considered pming you with their comment instead of adding to your rep! (lol)

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
That makes sense as to what I am seeing. Yeah, I have viewed my rep points. I gotta big laugh out of someone that actually gave me a rep point just to say something negative to me.

I'm with you...wear it as a badge of honor....sometime the measure of a man can be seen in the character of those who oppose him.

Preacher
11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I just shook my head and laughed.

Maidenarcher
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
For anyone worried about their rep points or even their number of posts they have....Who cares! I can say with a smile I barely have either....LOL
That is because I really try to only posts when I think I have a valid point or to tease someone...
I have seen there are a few here that seem to post just to get their numbers high or to try and get rep points......To that all I can say is I have a life away from the computer.......

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2006, 08:35 PM
For anyone worried about their rep points or even their number of posts they have....Who cares! I can say with a smile I barely have either....LOL
That is because I really try to only posts when I think I have a valid point or to tease someone...
I have seen there are a few here that seem to post just to get their numbers high or to try and get rep points......To that all I can say is I have a life away from the computer.......

We don't have the negative rep any more. This has been eliminated for sometime.

Maidenarcher
11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
We don't have the negative rep any more. This has been eliminated for sometime.

Sorry, I didn't realized I had even mentioned anything about the negative rep points. I actually was referring to just obtaining rep points period(or more so getting the high # of posts)...
Either way, I was just being facetious with my post anyway....

Preacher
11-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Sorry, I didn't realized I had even mentioned anything about the negative rep points. I actually was referring to just obtaining rep points period(or more so getting the high # of posts)...

Funny thing is.... I kinda freaked out when I realized I had over 500 hundred posts in just a short while... Then I realized that I probably have about 200 posts... and 300 in game day threads!!!

Dang I miss being able to hang out with Steeler fans during games.

:crying01:

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2006, 03:07 PM

That's alright. And you can only give one point at a time last I checked.

augustashark
11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I now have 3548 rep points!

Just wanted to put that out there. I love me!

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2006, 05:55 PM
I now have 3548 rep points!

Just wanted to put that out there. I love me!

SELF CENTERED! :toofunny: jk.

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Here is what I have a problem with:

1. I was going to make a new thread but don't have enough points? Two posters that I disagreed with (a while back) gave me neg points, and now because of this flawed system I can't even start a thread? Thats ridiculous. and infantile. And the infraction I was given recently was one sided ( see below)

2. Threads that end in a mod throwing a comment in and locking it. Debates arn't always arguments. Maybe letting them eventually end working it out is healthier than dictating a end? and again looking around this site this rule is only applied when it strikes o a mods fancy.

3. I recieved a infraction from a mod who was skimming ( it was even told to me) . Maybe time should be taken before jumping the gun ? In my case both parties were wrong and admitted to it in open forum. But only one party received a infraction as the mod informed me they were skimming at work but would (get around to looking at the flip side of the coin basically) One example.

4. Sorry to use this as a example but........

Welcome to the forum.

Its always appreciated when rivals fans start with such a respectful post.

NM
Baltimore Ravens : Bledsoe/Heap would make the most lethal white and white tandem since Elway/McCaffrey. Though I don't see color. So don't refer to us as a white and white combo. That is racist. Flat out. And it has no place in our locker room. I'm serious. I would pass to Michael Clayton and Derrick Mason too. But they just don't get open! Okay!? Now you're putting words in my mouth!

Tonyhomo.com

Isn't this in fact slander?

Name calling isn't ok so why is this allowed in a signature ? Tell me this isn't worthy of a infraction ?

5. If you want to be one of the best sites and you lay out rules. Maybe these rules should be equal to everyone. Regardless of if it is favoritism or mods skimming threads or simply overlooking something. Fair is fair Billie Jean shouted!

6. Last but not least I have seen a few mods tell people if you don't like it leave. Tudes like that usually in the long run will take away from a sites rep................... and soon or a later posters will in fact leave.

My opinion and I feel strongly about it.

tony hipchest
12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
4. Sorry to use this as a example but........

Isn't this in fact slander?

Name calling isn't ok so why is this allowed in a signature ? Tell me this isn't worthy of a infraction ?

5. If you want to be one of the best sites and you lay out rules. Maybe these rules should be equal to everyone. Regardless of if it is favoritism or mods skimming threads or simply overlooking something. Fair is fair Billie Jean shouted!

6. Last but not least I have seen a few mods tell people if you don't like it leave. Tudes like that usually in the long run will take away from a sites rep................... and soon or a later posters will in fact leave.

My opinion and I feel strongly about it. i got a personal attack infraction for telling somebody not to quit their day job. since that time i have been repeatedly blasted, threatend, and cursed at multiple times in the steelersforum by a single poster. (i think 6 personal attacks are supposed to merit a ban) :confused: its no big deal to me but it is quite confusing to newer posters who may not understand the politics around here.

in regards to litp's sig im not sure if mods can get infractions.

there has been alot of discussion about joey porter calling winslow a "fag" in the main forum. popular belief is that he is a representative of one of the classiest organizations out there, a leader, and he should be mature enough to behave more professionally. like the article by ron cook (i think) said, what porter said was bad for business.

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
i got a personal attack infraction for telling somebody not to quit their day job.

pretty lame of the site to give you that IMO

in regards to litp's sig im not sure if mods can get infractions.

Both of these stink of the lack of maturity in power Tony.

Big D
12-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Slash I recieved an infraction as well

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
When did you recieve it ?

slashsteel
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Got your answer D.

So number 3 can sorta be scratched.............. although the skimming still took place and the second infranction only came after I PMEd the mod.