PDA

View Full Version : Best at their position

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Its a slow news day in Steelerland so I thought I would get everyones thoughts on a specific topic. In most of the pre-season magazines they have players ranked at their positions. I am convinced that the Steelers are still not given the credit they deserve...but am further convinced that alot of players should be ranked Top 10, and a few should be #1at their respective positions.
That being said I thought it would be interesting to:

1) State what players we have that are the BEST at what they do.
2) State one player that is underappreciated
3) and to be fair...one player that is overappreciated

I will start with:

1) BEST: Troy is the best safety in the league... and Casey is easily the best Nose Guard
2) UNDERAPPRECIATED: Either Aaron Smith or Clark Haggans
3) OVERAPPRECIATED: This one is hard...but I am going to have to go with Simmons

lilyoder6
06-30-2006, 10:11 AM
1) faneca is one of the elite guards in the game
2) i say wilson cuz he cam eup big int he playoffs.
3) i would have to say simmons as well

ARKIESTEEL
06-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Its a slow news day in Steelerland so I thought I would get everyones thoughts on a specific topic. In most of the pre-season magazines they have players ranked at their positions. I am convinced that the Steelers are still not given the credit they deserve...but am further convinced that alot of players should be ranked Top 10, and a few should be #1at their respective positions.
That being said I thought it would be interesting to:

1) State what players we have that are the BEST at what they do.
2) State one player that is underappreciated
3) and to be fair...one player that is overappreciated

I will start with:

1) BEST: Troy is the best safety in the league... and Casey is easily the best Nose Guard
2) UNDERAPPRECIATED: Either Aaron Smith or Clark Haggans
3) OVERAPPRECIATED: This one is hard...but I am going to have to go with Simmons

I am going to get run off for this but here goes

1. best Casey Hampton our whole d is built around the nose tackle
2. underappreciated Dan Kreider he is a tank
and here is the one that gets me in trouble but its what i think

3. overappreciated Big Ben now stop throwing things I have reasons! I love the Steelers but I dont see Ben doing well anywhere else, not yet! Maybe this is the year I see him stand up and take that Offense by the horns and wins the games for us but up till now the threat of the run has gained Ben everything. Folks wont be caught off guard this year and we will see what he is made of. I like Ben I think this is his break away year to become an elite QB but up till now he has not been one. Please dont ban me but this is how i feel.

I never loved QB's anyway

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I am going to get run off for this but here goes

1. best Casey Hampton our whole d is built around the nose tackle
2. underappreciated Dan Kreider he is a tank
and here is the one that gets me in trouble but its what i think

3. overappreciated Big Ben now stop throwing things I have reasons! I love the Steelers but I dont see Ben doing well anywhere else, not yet! Maybe this is the year I see him stand up and take that Offense by the horns and wins the games for us but up till now the threat of the run has gained Ben everything. Folks wont be caught off guard this year and we will see what he is made of. I like Ben I think this is his break away year to become an elite QB but up till now he has not been one. Please dont ban me but this is how i feel.

I never loved QB's anyway

Well your entitled to your opinion and I won't try to change your mind and I'm going to give rep points anyway for speaking your thoughts. But I have to disagree with you about Ben. Like I said I won't try to change your mind. Thats your right bro.

1. Best at his position. I agree Big Casey is the best NT in the NFL. I also think Alan Faneca is the best guard in football. I also think Troy should be mentioned as the best safety. Sure the scheme fits him well. But with Troy flying around making all those plays on the field. That has to count for something.

2. Underappreciated. I agree with Dan Kreider as well. He is the best blocking FB in the NFL. Dan is very important to the success of our running game.

3. Overappreciated. I see where somebody would think and pick Ben. But I'm of the biggest Ben fans around. I have watched him since he was at Miami of Ohio. I was praying that he would to us in the 2004 draft and he did. The reason I can't say he is overappreciated is with all the bad QB play that we have seen in the Cowher era. I totally appreciate having a QB of Ben's talents.

Sure he stunk in the Super Bowl. But the guy had a broken finger and we wouldn't even have made the Super Bowl without Ben. His play in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl speaks for itself. I'm telling you will see what I have seen in Ben all along this year. I think he is going to have a great year. But I can honestly say I don't think any of our Steelers are overappreciated to me. I appreciate them all. I would have went with Chris Hope but he is gone now anyway.

But props to you man for speaking your mind. This is a forum and feel free to post your thoughts. Even if I disagree with you I still respect your opinion.

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Well your entitled to your opinion and I won't try to change your mind and I'm going to give rep points anyway for speaking your thoughts. But I have to disagree with you about Ben. Like I said I won't try to change your mind. Thats your right bro.

1. Best at his position. I agree Big Casey is the best NT in the NFL. I also think Alan Faneca is the best guard in football. I also think Troy should be mentioned as the best safety. Sure the scheme fits him well. But with Troy flying around making all those plays on the field. That has to count for something.

2. Underappreciated. I agree with Dan Kreider as well. He is the best blocking FB in the NFL. Dan is very important to the success of our running game.

3. Overappreciated. I see where somebody would think and pick Ben. But I'm of the biggest Ben fans around. I have watched him since he was at Miami of Ohio. I was praying that he would to us in the 2004 draft and he did. The reason I can't say he is overappreciated is with all the bad QB play that we have seen in the Cowher era. I totally appreciate having a QB of Ben's talents.

Sure he stunk in the Super Bowl. But the guy had a broken finger and we wouldn't even have made the Super Bowl without Ben. His play in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl speaks for itself. I'm telling you will see what I have seen in Ben all along this year. I think he is going to have a great year. But I can honestly say I don't think any of our Steelers are overappreciated to me. I appreciate them all. I would have went with Chris Hope but he is gone now anyway.

But props to you man for speaking your mind. This is a forum and feel free to post your thoughts. Even if I disagree with you I still respect your opinion.

I think you should be forced to pick a current squad member who is over-rated :sofunny:

....its only fair, 32.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
I think you should be forced to pick a current squad member who is over-rated :sofunny:

....its only fair, 32.

NM

Well who cares about fair?J/K

Man I honestly can't pick one guy. I love my Steelers and appreciate all of them. I would have went with Chris Hope but he is gone. Man I just can't do it. I'm a homer. Ok, I'll pick one guy Sean Morey without a doubt. Special teams is important no doubt. But I hear so much about Morey and how good a special teams player he is and I really never see him make any big plays. Sure he makes his tackles but the way Cowher talks about how good Morey is. I want to see some caused fumbles. So there you go.

Big D
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM

....its only fair, 32.

NM
I wouldnt say that ben is overrated or underrated. I would say the wins tend to flow in more when ben throws under 20 passes.

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Well who cares about fair?J/K

Man I honestly can't pick one guy. I love my Steelers and appreciate all of them. I would have went with Chris Hope but he is gone. Man I just can't do it. I'm a homer. Ok, I'll pick one guy Sean Morey without a doubt. Special teams is important no doubt. But I hear so much about Morey and how good a special teams player he is and I really never see him make any big plays. Sure he makes his tackles but the way Cowher talks about how good Morey is. I want to see some caused fumbles. So there you go.

Well I could feel your pain there - having to pick an over-rated Steelers player :cool:

Maybe Sean Morey will up his game once he reads this post........

NM

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I wouldnt say that ben is overrated or underrated. I would say the wins tend to flow in more when ben throws under 20 passes.

Personally, I would still say ben is under-rated by a majority of football fans.

Once you get a reputation its difficult to shake it - Brady had a reputation as someone who relied on his D, couldnt throw the long ball - only recently have these accusations stopped.

Ben is the second best QB in the game.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Well I could feel your pain there - having to pick an over-rated Steelers player :cool:

Maybe Sean Morey will up his game once he reads this post........

NM

Well, Morey better or I will be taking shots at him all year. Every game I want to see that caused fumble. Just joking again I like Morey and I don't think he is overrated as well. Trust me I can be very critical of my teams and their players at times. But after their performance in the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl. I appreciate all the players on this current team.

One guy to watch is Santonio Holmes. I'm not even talking about his recent arrests. But he is a first rounder so in three to four years. He better play like one or he might be my pick in the future.

ARKIESTEEL
06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I will say this Ben is the best QB we have had since Bradshaw. That is not a great thing to say seeing how its been Neil Bubbie Tom Kordel Mark Mike and the rest of the freak show that has taken snaps behind one of the best o-lines in football all them years. I recall back when Bubbie was here it being 3rd and 15 and I thought the best chance we had of picking up the first down was to run the ball and hope for a flag.

Ben will be great Ben has been great compared to what we have had. Ben will win us another SB this year and he will be named mvp (you heard it here first). But the survey was up till now what have they done or thats how I took it.

I thought about putting Troy in ther at best but I still say with the 3-4 the nose tackle is the most important player on D

Dan Kreider would not have any trouble picking up first downs from short yardage. I will say this he cant catch a cold.