PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress next season

jtbsteeler
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
I say if Ward wont take a vet minimum salary and Cotchery wants to be the third WR or start go after Plax to help with the red zone offense. He had 9 td's this season. Instant improvement. Pay him $4mil over two seasons. If anything he would draw the double away from Wallace or Brown.

Getting Arians out of here would be of help as well.

:tt03:

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
nou

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Steelers spent enough on bringing back passed players.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Thumper?

:chuckle:

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-19-2012, 11:13 AM
There is no way they will bring in Burress who will be 35. He had a decent year, but there are many other big and cheap WR's in the FA's that I would rather have. He already turned the Steelers down once, what makes you think that he won't again. And he definitely will not want $4mill over 2 seasons with a 9TD campaign.

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Thumper?

:chuckle:

:rofl: I KNEW IT!!! ( Barry WEISS)

TRH
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
NO!!! We don't go after high profiles for one....and two, any extra money needs to go toward the OL, DL, and/or defensive backfield. Period.

StainlessStill
01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
I say if Ward wont take a vet minimum salary and Cotchery wants to be the third WR or start go after Plax to help with the red zone offense. He had 9 td's this season. Instant improvement. Pay him $4mil over two seasons. If anything he would draw the double away from Wallace or Brown.

HAH! This douchebag had his opportunity. We must re-sign Cotchery. From the sounds of it, Cotch said he just "Looks like a Steeler" and is ready for a Super Bowl at his age. I see him returning. Cotchery is 10X the player Plax will ever be at this stage of his career.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
We're not going to be making any free agency splashes this off-season, as we're 25 million above the cap. We'll have to restructure several contracts and drop a few players as it is already, and we'll probably just lay low. Not sure if i'd want Plax either way, to be quite honest :hunch:

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
:rofl: I KNEW IT!!! ( Barry WEISS)

'Ol thumper's getting creative :rofl:

DanRooney
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
lol@ "we must sign Cotchery" and that he's "10x the player of Burress." We don't have to sign anyone at WR except Wallace; especially since Ward wants to come back at a vet minimum. If Cotchery did leave, Burress would be a great redzone target. I'm more interested in Mario Manningham though but he'd probably demand a lot more than Ward and Cotchery combined.

saint0917
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
If the Steelers bring back that nut case I'll shot myself in the leg.

StainlessStill
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
lol@ "we must sign Cotchery" and that he's "10x the player of Burress." We don't have to sign anyone at WR except Wallace; especially since Ward wants to come back at a vet minimum. If Cotchery did leave, Burress would be a great redzone target. I'm more interested in Mario Manningham though but he'd probably demand a lot more than Ward and Cotchery combined.

Having Hines Ward on this team will just be an overall MISTAKE for the 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers. I love Hines Ward, will probably shed a tear when he hangs them up, but we went out of our VERY own way to get him 1,000 career catch's on a shovel pass that resulted in -3 yards. He barely saw the field and was out-performed by Cotchery who was inserted into the lineup so late into the season.

Ben ran around like a little school-girl when Cotchery made his 1st Steelers touchdown in Cincinnati and the last connection in the 2011 season was Ben to Cotchery to tie the game in Denver. It's no mystery that Roethlisberger liked having Jerricho on the team and started trusting in his abilities while Ward looked OLD and SLOW in trying to find zone breakdowns.

If Hines signs for the "vet minimum" then what GOOD is he in this offense that saw a team completely write him out of the scheme? It's either sign Ward for nostalgia acts at vet minimum, completely waste a roster spot or allow Cotchery to sign for veteran presence, one that already was in our system for a year (unlike a player like Manningham.)

I think with signing Cotchery to an extension, that gives us more grit at the wideout position and a younger-veteran type player that knows how to move the chains if need-be. If Hines comes back, it'll be nice but I don't think he'll make ANY bit of a difference than he did this season. It'll be the same inconsistencies just to get him involved because he is Hines Ward. We NEED to make the move and turn a new leaf on offense and that is to sign Wallace longterm and convince Cotchery into signing an extension for his presence and opportunity to make an impact in this offense.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM

LOL@ the thought of signing anyone outside out what we already have. The thought of us getting anyone outside of what we already have on the roster is preposterous. We'll sign our draft picks and some practice squad players, but we'll be laying off on FA likely most of this offseason.

Burress isn't going to be around much longer, he's 35 years old. He may even retire this year after experiencing the Jet's locker room :chuckle:

That's far worse than a gunshot wound to the thigh :sofunny:

Cotchery's 29, and he's got some got years left in him. We'll sign him.

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 01:11 PM

i dunno man, i'd rather have cotch than plax anyday. he isn't afraid to put himself in danger and make tough catches. he's faster than hines in his prime. our young money crew lacks a durable go-to possession wr. that would be sanders but he hasn't proved he can handle an entire NFL season without getting injured.

if keeping cotch doesn't break the bank i'll say keep him around.

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 03:10 PM
How many times is someone gonna bring up about this loser?
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/raine9420/plaxico.jpg

ricardisimo
01-19-2012, 03:20 PM
No. No. No.

Why is it always the receivers that get peoples' keyboards going in this forum? Why aren't there fifty threads about free agent guards that might come available on the cheap?

tanda10506
01-19-2012, 03:41 PM
No. No. No.

Why is it always the receivers that get peoples' keyboards going in this forum? Why aren't there fifty threads about free agent guards that might come available on the cheap?

This^

If Wallace goes then yes we may need to look for another WR. Plax is no longer an option due to age and he probably won't want to come cheap anyway. I say secure who we have at WR and forget about it. If we are going to address anything in FA it will be the O line. Next to canning Arians and getting a new OC, fixing the line with FA would be the biggest improvement to the team. I know both are unlikely, which is really frustrating, but we need guards that can start and play at an above average level NOW. Not a draft pick that sits on the bench behind Foster and Legursky, not a draft pick that is decent in college but has a long way to go in the pro's, we need someone that can pass and run block Week 1 of the upcoming season. If that's a draft pick like Pouncey, even better, but if an immediate starter isn't available for the draft then address it in FA. Seriously, by the time Gilbert develops into a stand out tackle, which I think he will, and by the time a guard or two develop into above average NFL guards, Ben will have maybe 1 or 2 years left. He can't keep getting abused waiting on protection that doesn't come until he's close to retirement. I know a lot of people want to draft for the O line, and Pouncey and even Gilbert to a lesser extent, are examples of good, ready to play now lineman. If a player like that is not available though, you can not continue to suffer hoping someone from within will step up, it happens, but we just don't have that kind time, the line needs improvement now.

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
How many times is someone gonna bring up about this loser?
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/raine9420/plaxico.jpg

a shame really, if he kept his head out of his ass, he could have won 2 championships with the steelers, maybe more. imagine him and santonio in the lineup, my god.

well, shoulda woulda coulda :chuckle:

DanRooney
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
i dunno man, i'd rather have cotch than plax anyday. he isn't afraid to put himself in danger and make tough catches. he's faster than hines in his prime. our young money crew lacks a durable go-to possession wr. that would be sanders but he hasn't proved he can handle an entire NFL season without getting injured.

if keeping cotch doesn't break the bank i'll say keep him around.

I don't think Cotchery is bad at all. But the difference between him and Burress is that Plax is a much bigger target and is better at using his body to block the defender from the football. He had 8 TDs this year; a pretty good number considering Mark Sanchez is his quarterback. Cotchery is a nice guy to have and I would like to keep him over Ward but we need bigger targets. Brown and Wallace are fine moving the football in between the 20s but they absolutely suck in the redzone.

Look around the league. Guys are using taller, bigger and stronger TEs and receivers to exploit mismatches to score. Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston,, Vincent Jackson, Hakeem Nicks (not tall but big for a WR), etc.

steelfury02
01-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Not much else to do in the red zone with Wallace's vanishing act in the last half of the season, Miller barely seeing a catch after the Patriots game, lame fade routes to the corner of the endzone to smurf WRs, 3 predictable running plays to the right at the goal line along with yet another bubble screen at the 20 that is dropped for a 5 yard loss - then follow it up with a false start, delay of game, and holding penalty and before you know it - we can't even stay in field goal range!

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
a shame really, if he kept his head out of his ass, he could have won 2 championships with the steelers, maybe more. imagine him and santonio in the lineup, my god.

well, shoulda woulda coulda :chuckle:

Stardom does that to some, it goes to their heads, But then again Plax had a bad work ethic when he was on Steelers.

jiminpa
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Stardom does that to some, it goes to their heads, But then again Plax had a bad work ethic when he was on Steelers.Stardom? Plax was an idiot before he ever dropped his first pass. You forget the highlight reals don't show you the critical third and five floater that he batted in the air when it hit him in the hands, or the live football "spike" for the momentum changing fumble.

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2012, 08:34 PM
If Peyton Manning is not available. Plax should replace Arians as OC

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Stardom? Plax was an idiot before he ever dropped his first pass. You forget the highlight reals don't show you the critical third and five floater that he batted in the air when it hit him in the hands, or the live football "spike" for the momentum changing fumble.

The winning catch in SB GIANTS/PATRIOTS got him stardom believe it or not!

ricardisimo
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I thought it was shooting himself in the leg that earn him the white hot spotlight. :noidea:

jiminpa
01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
The winning catch in SB GIANTS/PATRIOTS got him stardom believe it or not!I believe it. It's just that he had to make that spectacular catch because of the ones he dropped earlier.

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I thought it was shooting himself in the leg that earn him the white hot spotlight. :noidea:

So what are you trying to say?!!!
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr333/sean020/plex.jpg

finesward
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
This^

If Wallace goes then yes we may need to look for another WR. Plax is no longer an option due to age and he probably won't want to come cheap anyway. I say secure who we have at WR and forget about it. If we are going to address anything in FA it will be the O line. Next to canning Arians and getting a new OC, fixing the line with FA would be the biggest improvement to the team. I know both are unlikely, which is really frustrating, but we need guards that can start and play at an above average level NOW. Not a draft pick that sits on the bench behind Foster and Legursky, not a draft pick that is decent in college but has a long way to go in the pro's, we need someone that can pass and run block Week 1 of the upcoming season. If that's a draft pick like Pouncey, even better, but if an immediate starter isn't available for the draft then address it in FA. Seriously, by the time Gilbert develops into a stand out tackle, which I think he will, and by the time a guard or two develop into above average NFL guards, Ben will have maybe 1 or 2 years left. He can't keep getting abused waiting on protection that doesn't come until he's close to retirement. I know a lot of people want to draft for the O line, and Pouncey and even Gilbert to a lesser extent, are examples of good, ready to play now lineman. If a player like that is not available though, you can not continue to suffer hoping someone from within will step up, it happens, but we just don't have that kind time, the line needs improvement now.

http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivator4eb08c5ab6f8cfb422902e47d6a9f026d510e50f. jpg

Burress had one good game against the chargers, he scored 3 of his 9 TD's. In the 9 games that followed he scored a whopping 3 TD's as the #2 receiver :jerkit: No thanks. Play calling and execution in the redzone was the main culprit in our lack of scoring, not some behemoth WR. Especially one as looney as Burress.

Pentheon
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Ward already said he would take a cut to be able to stay with the steelers.

steeltheone
01-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Last year i was for Plex..This year, not so much!

PhantomJB93
01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
If he comes at league min, why not? He wasn't the reason for their locker room demise either.

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
If we want a big reciever we can always pick Limas Sweed back up!

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Is that serious or just joking? He is just as a good WR as B.A is OC. Sweed is a complete bust because he can't catch, run routes, block, and he has no motivation

tanda10506
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM

:doh::banging:

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Is that serious or just joking? He is just as a good WR as B.A is OC. Sweed is a complete bust because he can't catch, run routes, block, and he has no motivation

Calm down, just a joke! I'd rather have a drunk and high Santonio than Sweed

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Calm down, just a joke! I'd rather have a drunk and high Santonio than Sweed

Haha im calm, I just didn't know if you were serious or not

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Haha im calm, I just didn't know if you were serious or not

I do wish he would have panned out though, seemed like he was always open, he just caught as well as a quadriplegic. But back on topic, no I don't want Burress back, i'd rather have cotchery

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Yeah a Cotchery is willing to come back next season and be the 4th WR too

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 07:16 PM
While we're at it let's get Randy Moss and bring Jerry Rice out of retirement! For the vet minimum of course....Hines will be our 8th receiver :chuckle:

MACH1
01-20-2012, 07:24 PM
I bet we could coax T.O. off that indoor football team too. :chuckle:

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I bet we could coax T.O. off that indoor football team too. :chuckle:

For the vet minimum of course :rofl:

Black N' Yellow
01-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery will probably come back. But that's only 4 receivers and we're gonna need one/two more recievers in here if Ward and Battle don't return? Preferably over 6'2'...

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery will probably come back. But that's only 4 receivers and we're gonna need one/two more recievers in here if Ward and Battle don't return? Preferably over 6'2'...

We have 6 WR's on the practice squad, we'll be fine.

Lord of Lombardi
01-21-2012, 09:50 PM

I used to think Plax was the biggest idiot associated with Football, that title has just been taken over by jbsteeler for suggesting that we sign Plax. Do you not understand that we do not bring back losers players, just loser fans.

Black N' Yellow
01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
We have 6 WR's on the practice squad, we'll be fine.

Who? Tyler Grisham's a 5' 10" dude and there's nothing he can do that Young Money can't and isn't he their best prospect?

OX1947
01-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Steelers need a fullback and offensive guards, not recievers where our top 3 are all capable of being number 1 recievers.

mesaSteeler
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Steelers need a fullback and offensive guards, not recievers where our top 3 are all capable of being number 1 recievers.

Correct and we also need to think about some secondary help with how often Troy gets injured. The last position we need to draft is another WR.

ricardisimo
01-21-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't think Cotchery is coming back. Pretty sure that was a one-off. Ward is more likely to come back.

In fact, come to think of it, there is a worst-case scenario here: Wallace gets bank to go to Cleveland, Cotchery gets signed back by the Jets, and Ward gets "retired", in much the same way Arians just got "retired". Battle is just gone, leaving us with only Brown and Sanders. :doh:

Doesn't matter. I still don't want Plax back.

jiminpa
01-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't think Cotchery is coming back. Pretty sure that was a one-off. Ward is more likely to come back.

In fact, come to think of it, there is a worst-case scenario here: Wallace gets bank to go to Cleveland, Cotchery gets signed back by the Jets, and Ward gets "retired", in much the same way Arians just got "retired". Battle is just gone, leaving us with only Brown and Sanders. :doh:

Doesn't matter. I still don't want Plax back.
I would hope that if we lose both Cotchery and Wallace that Ward is retained as a mentor to the new guys we will have to bring in. I have to wonder too how long Wallace can be the fastest guy in the NFL. He might have already lost a step. Which is exactly why Arians was allowed to waste the offense too long. This much pure talent is hard to keep together for long.

jtbsteeler
01-22-2012, 02:12 AM
I used to think Plax was the biggest idiot associated with Football, that title has just been taken over by jbsteeler for suggesting that we sign Plax. Do you not understand that we do not bring back losers players, just loser fans.

SLAP SLAP!! Two slaps. One on your ugly face, one on your mama's ass.

And genius. They entertained the idea this past training camp.

Bayz101
01-22-2012, 04:43 AM

Don't bash the man just because he had an opinion. Just so you know, we we're on the verge of picking Plaxico up in training camp before the start of the season, so signing him obviously wasn't just his idea. I don't like Plax, and I sure as hell don't want him on our team, but that doesn't mean the thought of him coming here shouldn't be discussed, and that all opinions based on it should be bashed. Please be mature and factual with your comments.

SLAP SLAP!! Two slaps. One on your ugly face, one on your mama's ass.

And genius. They entertained the idea this past training camp.

As for you: Be the better man. It's a lot easier to make someone look like a complete dumbass by sarcastically agreeing with him than it is to make a 'yo mamma joke.

steelers33
01-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Last thing we need is an older players taking up cap for a position there really isn't a need for. I think Sanders, Brown, and Wallace could get by with their lack of height with speed and quickness hopefully new OC can work well to their abilities. If anything bring in a FA onlineman first and foremost if not addressed in the draft.