PDA

View Full Version : Carl Nicks

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I know that we're in salary-cap disarray and signing big-time free agents is something we rarely do. But let's face it, our biggest weakness is left guard and Nicks is an unrestricted free agent that's only 26 years old. It would take some restructuring of contracts (specially Ben's) to get him but I think it would be well worth it. We can "get younger" on defense through the draft. But this offense is one piece away from being a great offense, and I think Nicks could be that piece.

StainlessStill
01-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Why do we go through the same thing EVERY year? It's almost like clock-work. The Steelers president JUST SAID they won't make a splash in Free Agency as far as big needs is concerned. Obviously, we like what we have with our team as far as what Art is saying.

We'll do the usual. Maybe bring in a second-rate d-lineman or a 3rd down back to compete in FA, but other than that, I don't expect a big name in here anytime soon. With that said, I agree this is the season to where we should make some kind of a move on the market. But, this is the Steelers. We believe from within.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Why do we go through the same thing EVERY year? It's almost like clock-work. The Steelers president JUST SAID they won't make a splash in Free Agency as far as big needs is concerned. Obviously, we like what we have with our team as far as what Art is saying.

We'll do the usual. Maybe bring in a second-rate d-lineman or a 3rd down back to compete in FA, but other than that, I don't expect a big name in here anytime soon. With that said, I agree this is the season to where we should make some kind of a move on the market. But, this is the Steelers. We believe from within.

Well Art can't say that "Ben needs to take less sacks" and send him out there behind the same crappy o-line that he's been behind for years.And I understand that some of it is Ben's fault...but a lot of it isn't. Kemoeatu and Legursky stink and the Steelers offense, despite having the skill position players to do it, will never reach the level of the great offenses in this league with the O-line the way it is.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Well Art can't say that "Ben needs to take less sacks" and send him out there behind the same crappy o-line that he's been behind for years.And I understand that some of it is Ben's fault...but a lot of it isn't. Kemoeatu and Legursky stink and the Steelers offense, despite having the skill position players to do it, will never reach the level of the great offenses in this league with the O-line the way it is.

We do need some better offensive lineman, and that's been apparent for years now. Sure, you can say it's Ben's play extension that causes a lot of it, but half the time he's not really extending it at all, he's running for his life! Nine chances out of ten, Ben extends the play and makes something happen. Most of Ben's sacks come from the line he's behind, and I think we'll address it a lot in this draft.

Expect us to take Safety Mark Barron out of Alabama in round one, and then offensive lineman in rounds two & three. We'll probably pick up a MLB at some point in this draft as well, and likely a Quarteback.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking:

Round one: SS
Round two: OL
Round three: ILB
Round four: CB
Round five: QB
Round six: K
Round seven: OL

So, with that being said, we'll have a couple, maybe even a few new lineman. Unless they go an entire draft without picking one up, which I don't see happening.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking:

So, with that being said, we'll have a couple, maybe even a few new lineman. Unless they go an entire draft without picking one up, which I don't see happening.

WE DO NOT NEED A SAFETY! Mundy proved that he is a good enough backup and Damon Cromartie-Smith a very good young S. We will definitely attack the DL more than the DL because with Colon being back we have C, RG, and RT all set and with us bringing back Legursky, Foster, and Essex those guys will battle for the LG spot. DL is very big need because Hampton, Hoke, and Smith will not be back and Keisel isn't getting any younger. I do believe that they should move Hood or Heyward to NT and keep the other of the two at DE. Our DL either way will look like Keisel, Hood/Heyward, Hood/Heyward. We need to add depth to the DL through the draft. They will not draft a QB either because Lefty will be healthy and although injury prone he is a great backup and is also cheap. Batch I believe will also be back because he is cheap and great backup. They will keep Suisham for one more year because the FA market for K's is bad and there are not any good K prospects. If they take a S it will be in the middle rounds along with CB, OL, and LB. But for our first pick I really think that they will take D. Hightower or V. Burfict because ILB is looking like a big need right now with Farrior and Foote's futures in question.

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
WE DO NOT NEED A SAFETY! Mundy proved that he is a good enough backup and Damon Cromartie-Smith a very good young S. We will definitely attack the DL more than the DL because with Colon being back we have C, RG, and RT all set and with us bringing back Legursky, Foster, and Essex those guys will battle for the LG spot. DL is very big need because Hampton, Hoke, and Smith will not be back and Keisel isn't getting any younger. I do believe that they should move Hood or Heyward to NT and keep the other of the two at DE. Our DL either way will look like Keisel, Hood/Heyward, Hood/Heyward. We need to add depth to the DL through the draft. They will not draft a QB either because Lefty will be healthy and although injury prone he is a great backup and is also cheap. Batch I believe will also be back because he is cheap and great backup. They will keep Suisham for one more year because the FA market for K's is bad and there are not any good K prospects. If they take a S it will be in the middle rounds along with CB, OL, and LB. But for our first pick I really think that they will take D. Hightower or V. Burfict because ILB is looking like a big need right now with Farrior and Foote's futures in question.

i'm also thinking william gay would be a good fit at FS. with lewis, allen, and brown, it's likely the #2 cb won't be gay next season. im thinking gay is good material for a backup safety, he's a sure tackler and better at coverage than clark.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree FireArians. Gay though may want to stay at CB though because of his above-average year. He showed that he can improve vastly. I do not think Lewis will be back just because they really believe in Allen and Brown and Lewis did not show up at all during the season. His lone INT was the easiest ball to catch and it just so happen that he was got burned and was nowhere near the WR and he still got the INT. I don't see the Steelers taking multiple CB's this year just because we have the last 2 years. One may be enough and the CB class is very deep. This might be the year they take multiple ILB's this year though just because Foote and Farrior's futures.

DanRooney
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking:

Would be great if you knew a SS in the draft worth the value at our spot.

StainlessStill
01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Would be great if you knew a SS in the draft worth the value at our spot.

I was viewing NFL's early mock draft board. Bucky Brooks has us taking Alabama SS Mark Barron with our pick at #24 while the other 3 were unanimous on Cordy Glenn, OT from Georgia.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9494/early2012mock.png

DanRooney
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I was viewing NFL's early mock draft board. Bucky Brooks has us taking Alabama SS Mark Barron with our pick at #24 while the other 3 were unanimous on Cordy Glenn, OT from Georgia.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9494/early2012mock.png

Baarron is a reach. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell into the middle of the second round. Give me Konz if he's still there, Burfict, or Hightower

NoShootouts
01-19-2012, 04:15 PM
FWIW today Cowherd was interviewing JJ Watt and asked him the best player he played against at any position this year and Watt said it was probably Nicks

steelfury02
01-19-2012, 04:56 PM
What I want to know is - who can we get as a new conditioning person - cause, honestly, especially with the O-linemen - it is a habitual, yearly thing for the past 4 seasons minimum

stiller39
01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
William Gay was the most improved player on the field this year. He played great and yet many still discount him. Obviously, he has taken to Carnell Lakes coaching. He had a good year which I see as only getting better.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
William Gay was the most improved player on the field this year. He played great and yet many still discount him. Obviously, he has taken to Carnell Lakes coaching. He had a good year which I see as only getting better.

I agree. :thumbsup:

steelersfan77
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
We're going to take the best player available at either OG, ILB or DT.

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM

lol...he don't wanna make just a splash. he wants a tidal wave..:chuckle:
already 25 mill over the cap for next season and he thinks they can fit who most consider the best guard in football under the cap..:toofunny:
this guy must work for the government where the national debt isn't a concern...
sure go ahead and add an extra 10 mill on the tab...:sofunny:

60_MINUTES
01-19-2012, 10:55 PM
i'm also thinking william gay would be a good fit at FS. with lewis, allen, and brown, it's likely the #2 cb won't be gay next season. im thinking gay is good material for a backup safety, he's a sure tackler and better at coverage than clark.

dont be trying to steal my idea.. I just post a thread last week about the NFL and how it needs to counter the new Passing NFL with good Tackling Corners at FS...:tt02::tt02:

Gay would be prefect back there in our base set.. while average at corner he would be one of the best if not the best cover FS in the game...

or we could clone Troy who is a old style hitting S when he needs to be and can cover like a corner.. however HOF guys like troy dont come along very often